Topic Stats

• 10,044 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 714 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOB (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
No.gif
IMG_9476_(resized).JPG
47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider craig.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#32 6 years ago

Tres cool!

#49 6 years ago

I can always count on you to do something interesting, Aurich. Thanks.

#141 6 years ago

Yes, tough choices. Actually, I was in for a Hobbit from Day One, but I am still trying to figure out if I can afford to buy anything else. I am selling a couple of pins with a view to getting a ST-LE, but that still leaves the MMR question open. The good news is that these pins will be available HUO for many, many years to come. It is easy to think that you have to buy now, but that's not the case (that is, unless you insist on NIB). Patience is a virtue, but that is easy to say!

2 months later
#359 5 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

pin in your house in summer 2015 aint bad, is it?

I could live with that. I care far more about getting an excellent pin than I do about waiting.

1 week later
#498 5 years ago
Quoted from S37VEN:

Jack requires prepayment

Not quite accurate. You have to prepay to get a discount and to get a spot earlier in the queue. Still, I understand that the current model is not sustainable. I am willing to help out a new pinball company, but I don't think I'll prepay after the Hobbit.

#499 5 years ago

Never mind...

#501 5 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

April Fool's.....

I wondered about that...

#527 5 years ago

Really like that interface.

#578 5 years ago

I've read a fair bit recently about social order amongst baboons. It is remarkably transferable to our pinball community!

1 month later
#1077 5 years ago
Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

was a Rhodes Scholar.

Sorry, but as an Oxford grad I feel obligated to correct this statement. Bill Clinton was the Rhodes Scholar.

2 months later
#1415 5 years ago
Quoted from Jasontaps:

it is a 5 1/2 hour drive for me.

It would be something like nine hours each way for me, I suppose. I'd still do it, but I have to be at work. I'm going to get there and to Stern someday. It's on the bucket list.

Anyway, I hope those fortunate enough to attend will take some good pics and share them on Pinside.

2 months later
#1900 5 years ago

Good grief... This has gotten way, way, way past being old.

1 month later
#2489 5 years ago

Bravo!

#2498 5 years ago
Quoted from Biv:

I was also too harsh on the ramps - with decals and etching they don't look so alien anymore and go very well with the game, I like it.

Agreed. I like those etched ramps.

#2999 5 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Why is anyone pre ordering a game they haven't played.

I agree in principle, but we also have to realize that JJP and most other start-ups would never have gotten off the ground without pre-ordering. I would like for them to outgrow the model, but we have to be grateful that it has made possible much more diversity in the contemporary pinball world.

#3152 5 years ago

Unfortunately, it's pretty much in line with what other mods cost (says the owner of a TZ, the ultimate mod-monster).

#3166 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

But....Matt, come on man. Vertical video?!

Great stuff. Thanks!

2 weeks later
#3369 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinister:

The Movie was awesome

More, please!

#3444 5 years ago

I've never had the chance to greet you, Pat, so let me do so here. I am a great fan of your work and am delighted that you signed on with JJP. Wishing you and yours all the best.

1 month later
#4194 4 years ago

Looking good, Matt. Thanks!

#4198 4 years ago

Would really like to see a good photo of each head inside the pin to determine which I prefer.

#4310 4 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

I love flippers.... its a bit of a drive from Raleigh, but its the closest thing to Pinball Mecca in the Southeast (IMO).

Yup. I drove all the way there and back in a day to play Star Trek. (I wanted to confirm that I'd like it if I bought one.) It's a long haul but a great resource.

#4315 4 years ago

Thanks. I was hoping that they would put the two types side by side. If anyone can do that, I'd appreciate it.

#4369 4 years ago

I am still contemplating how I am going to move the thing.

#4385 4 years ago

I am concerned about dirt trapped beneath the playfield protector. It's hard to imagine that the game is going to be used so heavily at home that the playfield will be damaged. At least, that's my guess. We'll see.

2 weeks later
#4491 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

you can pick one thing on every great game that sucks.

I am a fan of LOTR, but I've always thought the Path of the Dead mini-playfield is next to useless.

#4506 4 years ago

MMr is further behind schedule at this point than TH. Let's hope they crank them out faster than the reported 35 a week. Having said that, I have been part of several large projects, most of which experienced delays that could not have been anticipated or avoided, so I am both sympathetic and, to a significant extent, patient.

1 week later
#4562 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNavidad:

I'm looking forward to finally seeing the game in person this Saturday at the PinballSTAR event.

I'll be eager to hear your report. Thanks in advance.

1 month later
#5206 4 years ago

Eager to hear more, Panzer.

#5398 4 years ago

I understand the point, but how long did we wait for the Karl Urban call outs? The pin was released a long time before the additional voice work was done. I'd be happy to have subsequent upgrades for The Hobbit.

#5437 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballBeerGuy:

I know I could have gotten several machines for the same money, but I liked The Hobbit and I really wanted the LE.

If you're like most of us here, you're going to end up getting additional pins anyway. I know very few people who settle for just one. At first, I thought my limit was two, and that was seventeen pins ago. (To my credit, I have sold several, but they always seem to get replaced with something else.) So, congratulations on the purchase, and welcome to the zoo!

#5571 4 years ago

JJP has already produced something like 2,500 pins. I am not worried.

1 week later
#5736 4 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

This piece was on display in the Bodleian Library’s 'Marks of Genius' exhibition at Oxford University, where Tolkien was a professor until his retirement in 1959.

I've lived in Oxford twice for a total of something like six and a half years. It's my favorite place on Earth. Our good friends lived in C. S. Lewis's old house (The Kilns), where Tolkien often visited. There is a woods immediately next door to the house where they sometimes walked. You go there now and it feels a bit like Middle Earth (or Narnia; take your pick). Numerous scenes from the Harry Potter movies were filmed in my college, and the dining hall in the films is a copy. What a great place.

#5855 4 years ago

That is one great-looking pin!

2 weeks later
#6178 4 years ago

Never mind...

1 month later
#6741 4 years ago

nature-abhors-a-vacuum1.jpg

#6759 4 years ago

I think we were discussing what car Bilbo would drive.

3 weeks later
#7357 4 years ago

I don't consider a deposit to be objectionable. I put $1k down when ordering my STLE, for example. I do not equate that with paying an entire $8k in advance.

3 weeks later
#7569 4 years ago
Quoted from Jargus:

It's just too long to keep that much money tied up without any reward.

I understand. I keep contemplating whether to bail on MMR, which I paid for in full more than thirteen months ago (and which I ordered within minutes of its announcement). I am not thrilled about the fact that many others who did not prepay have had their machines for months while others of us who did continue to wait. It certainly isn't fair, but I also realize that it's not a life-threatening injustice. I figured it wouldn't matter once I got the machine. But the weeks and months wear on, and I begin to wonder whether it's worth it.

2 weeks later
#8120 4 years ago

Reminds me of a band that releases a hit first album. Everyone expects their second release to be at least as good if not better, but for whatever reason--e.g., the band's success leading either to overcommitment or indifference--the follow-up album is mediocre. Had the records been released in reverse order, everyone would have praised the group's development, but as it is, they're seen as a disappointment. Happens all the time.

#8130 4 years ago
Quoted from sanctumwear:

are you comparing this to the hobbit pin or the movies?

The movies. I thought the Hobbit films were not as good at the LOTR trilogy. Of course, that's just my opinion, and I am perfectly happy if someone else preferred them. I didn't hate them, but I thought Peter Jackson was self-indulgent, stretching the story into three films. My point in part is that it is hard to follow up a smashing success. Not many people do it well, although some manage.

#8146 4 years ago

Let me add that I am sure there are more than enough compelling bits in the three films to make for a fine pinball machine. I wasn't meaning to imply that the overly-long films somehow meant that the pin wouldn't be good. Fortunately, JJP is able to cherry pick the best clips, just as I wish Peter Jackson had done.

#8269 4 years ago

I have machines from Gottlieb, Bally, Williams and Zacharia (and Data East before that), all companies that have ceased building pins, and I usually have little or no trouble getting parts, even for pins from fifty years ago or more. Though I doubt seriously that JJP is in any danger of going under (they're still making and selling pins right now, despite the wait for Hobbit), I'm not terribly concerned about my ability to get parts down the road. Where there's a market, there's usually someone willing to fill it. The growth of the pinball parts scene in the past five years or so has been a tremendous boon for those of us who repair and maintain our own pins. I am only slightly more concerned about MMR, given its uniqueness, but even there I don't expect serious problems. Maybe for the person owns it fifty years from now, but let's hope there is still a market for these things that far down the road. We are really fortunate that so many people have seen this as a business opportunity and have latched onto it.

#8354 4 years ago

Holy cow, that's a nice house!

#8400 4 years ago

Why not ask? I'd be interested to hear the response.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 159.00
Cabinet - Toppers
FlipperLED
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider craig.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside