47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider check_switch_26.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2416 9 years ago
Quoted from Dalbok:

I wonder if they are still planning on having the interactive apron. Originally it was going to be a map to track progress, correct? I wonder if that's been changed.

The bottom arch as currently displayed is the final one.

--Ted

#2434 9 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

I thought the ramp diverter was Smaug's tail?

An early idea for the diverter was to dress it up as the tail. We weren't happy with any of the experiments, so the ramp diverter is now a gate (aka portcullis).

#2449 9 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Out of curiosity with Mr. Balcer gone, who is leading the design and making these game changes? Maybe it's common knowledge and I'm out of the loop...
I think opening up the pops is great on any game. I don't care as much for one way in and one way out.

It's been a group effort.

#2754 9 years ago
Quoted from mummite:

Also how will the new bag end shot work? Will there be a new switch there where the mode change switches use to be? a roll over button switch or something?

There is an opto across the opening.

#2763 9 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

Unless I missed the post, nobody has yet discussed the return rail on the left side of the playfield (it leads to the left outlane/kicker)....looks like the mechanism that is supposed to place the ball on that rail is still missing...any ideas as to what is will be? I'm not sure if this was even mentioned on that list of "updates yet to come"...

There is a diverter that causes the ball to jump from the inner wireform ramp over to the far left wireform. There is an up-post in the outlane that can hold the ball on the kickback coil.

The code for all this is yet to be revealed.

4 months later
#5257 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I wonder what happened with using Two Steps From Hell music for Smaug multiball?

It's still there. I just checked.

The amount of music created by TSFH for Hobbit has been overwhelming. Every mode and multiball has its own cue. The game contains more than 45 minutes of original composition.

Additionally, there are five variations of the licensed tune "Old Friends". (One by TSFH and the remainder by David Thiel.)

2 weeks later
#5785 8 years ago
Quoted from mummite:

I hope the backboard that is all black will have some art work or design. Seeing it all black like that makes it look unfinished. Would be great to see more brick work to match the cool stone arcs.

There are sculpted pillars and an archway behind Smaug. These details are difficult to see in that video because of the harsh lighting and camera angle.

#5795 8 years ago
Quoted from mummite:

and whats new in the code? any new modes or rules?

Five new modes added since the last showing. Also skill shots and some more stuff on the "Ring Button". Plus a pile of bug fixes, tweaked up graphics, more sound effects and speech from the movies.

2 months later
#7035 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I don't think we have heard any of the 34 tracks that Two Steps From Hell has created for the games modes as well as the multiple versions of the "Old Friends" theme. Well maybe one with the games current main theme.

To be clear, plenty of the music from TSFH is in the game already. There are 17 modes in the software that will be at Pintastic. Each one has its own tune. Mainplay, Smaug MB, Beast MB and Game Over themes (all by TSFH) have collectively been in there for quite a while.

The additional versions of "Old Friends" are in there as well, and have been for a long time. They've been shuffled around a bit, and David has extended some of them since they were first integrated in the game.

#7256 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

One thing I can't quite get straight was the mode start. There were two options to start a mode, spell the race, or hit a shot. So in the picture above it would be 1. Hit the left ramp, 2. Hit the right ramp, 3. Hit the right VUK, 4. Hit the right ramp (although I assume if lock is lit that takes precedence). That sounds easier and less dangerous than hitting down all the drops. I'm not sure if it is different characters at different times (which would mean different shots).

Different characters/races enable different modes. For example, "An Unexpected Party" is qualified by the DWARF drop targets (middle bank) plus the Bilbo Baggins™ shot (right ramp). Starting a mode un-spots its qualifiers, but leaves the others alone.

Not in yet: Some modes will have prerequisite modes that must be played first.

Not in yet: Player will be able to choose lock vs. mode start via Ring Button.

Edit (to add some info to differentiate my post from Keith's):

Quoted from DaveH:

And about the drop targets (in this pre-production game), they were very willing to drop when hit. They had a smooth feel to them, with the exception of resetting. They are all individually controlled, so it isn't a big "thump thump" when they reset, each one resets in sequence. So they make this big "zip" sound that sounds almost like a stripped gear. Surprising the first time you hear it. My guess is that firing 11 coils at a time is probably a bad idea, so they run in a quick sequence. I wonder what that sounds like with the glass off. That isn't a bad thing, but I'm sure when people get games and hear it for the first time they will be surprised.

The staggered resetting of the drop targets is intentional, since it's not possible to fire all those coils at once. I will admit that the noise is startling when you are not expecting it. (Try getting some work done with the game right next to your desk!) Once you have seen it a few times, it turns out to be pretty cool. I intentionally used the effect in "The Fall of Ererbor" mode where Smaug™ sweeps the playfield with fire and causes the drop targets to rise/fall in a wave.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Hardware
Pinball Haven

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 25.50
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Electronics
Skillshot Combo

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider check_switch_26.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-update-1?tu=check_switch_26 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.