Topic Stats

• 10,044 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 714 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOB (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
No.gif
IMG_9476_(resized).JPG
47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider captainneo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#185 6 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Pins don't NEED to have an LED bomb attached to them like stern does with every pin.

but they have to have SOME GI's. That was a big problem with some of the B/W titles too. Try playing MB in an arcade environment (meaning very dark room). It's damn hard to see anything. You need good GI's in a game. Especially, if your going to have overly bright inserts, which backlight your ball. Making it even worse.

#187 6 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

They dont NEED some. Its a design choice and they made it how they wanted.

It's also possible, that they messed up and didn't realize the flaw until it was already to late. happens all the time in pinball. Many many games have design flaws, but once it's in production, sometimes it can't be fixed.

#189 6 years ago

But at the same time, you have to expect a new company to have some flaws. Trial and error. it's going to happen. It's their first game, and yes they have their problems, but so did the companies that were doing it for 30 years. Nothing in pinball is perfect. never has been, never will be. Most of us that have been around, know it will happen, understand, and look past it.

#200 6 years ago
Quoted from Hogbog:

That would be me. I like to think I'm pretty different. Lights will not be daisy chained, GI will be different, inserts not blinding.
Plus it's going to be a fun game, because I'm one of the biggest Tolkien fans around, and rules are discussed among everyone on the team.

Looking forward to playing one. Not buying NIB, but hopefully it will be a game I'll keep my eyes out for down the road on the resale market.

#203 6 years ago

if they make it so that you can continue your game where you left off, that would suck. If it was that way on LOTR, I would have saw valinor by now, and that would be disappointing. The fact that i'm going on 6 years and never seen it, gives me drive to make it happen. Plus, it will be more rewarding when it happens, due to the struggles and time it took to reach it. Might be the most rewarding ending, I will ever experience in pinball.

#205 6 years ago

home consoles killed arcades big time. Luckily for pinball, it's close but still doesn't replace the real thing.

#207 6 years ago

I don't even want the temptation. Games I own that even have buy in option, I turn it off immediately. If I can't do it normal, I don't deserve to see it.

#219 6 years ago

definitely. Buy in's were a money maker. Look at gauntlet. Holy shit did that game eat quarters. Those things has to pay for themselves in the first month.

#227 6 years ago

that control panel looks really good on that game. Nice work.

2 weeks later
#248 6 years ago
Quoted from wolowizard:

hey , lets talk about guantlet ??? isn't this a hobbit thread , some people have the attention span of a fruitfly...lol

No, it's just that gauntlet is more exciting to talk about , because it's here, and not a figment imaginary machine that we won't see for 3 years.

#266 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

This thread is about The Hobbit...Also no one will be waiting 3 more years for the game. I bet the first games start shipping by the end of the year with a majority arriving the first half of next year.

I'll take that bet. What do you want to wager?

#273 6 years ago
Quoted from Part_3:

Does he mean the vast majority of all Hobbit machines, or just the LE's?

Actually he said any of them to make it out the door before Dec 31st of this year. I don't think you will see 1 more or less a majority of anything.

#274 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Bilbo Baggins multiball wizard mode featuring music by Leonard Nimoy?!
» YouTube video

Where is HD when you really need it? I wanted to see that shit in 1080P. With all those clothes flying around in the back of that rock, they must have been having a hardcore orgy. I don't remember that in LOTR.

3 weeks later
#294 6 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

Be for you all get your panties in a bunch this is a funny move clip not a statement on the game.
» YouTube video

The benny hill skit made me laugh.

I think the eagles couldn't take them all the way there, because none of the creatures would go near the mountain since the dragon took over. Which explains why they didn't take them there in the hobbit, but WTF didn't the eagles just take frodo to mt. doom?

#321 6 years ago
Quoted from juanton:

The eagles picked Frodo up from Mt. Doom after the ring was destroyed IIRC. Frodo and Sam travelled on foot with Gollum.

exactly, so Why the hell didn't they just take them there from the start.

And for orcs shooting them down. No way you can shoot that high. and Orcs wern't expert marksmen nor had the crafted weapons like elves had.

#334 6 years ago
Quoted from juanton:

Before the ring was destroyed Sauron was still alive. I think that's why the eagles, and almost everything else, stayed away from Mordor.

what was he going to do? Stink eye them to death?

they could have dropped them off at the edge of mordor if they didn't want to take them all the way in. Should have just flew over mt.doom and let frodo drop the ring in the pit as they did a fly by. Movie would have been 45 min long.

#336 6 years ago

i call bullshit on this. maybe 40 for distributers to buy. There is no way in hell 1500 of those were bought up by collectors, especially with all the problems going on with WOZ.

#381 6 years ago

I have to say, I like the layout and the way it's going. Looking forward to seeing where this one goes. Will have to keep my eyes open on the used market if it's good.

#410 6 years ago
Quoted from retired_user_101:

"Lamp" keeps sneaking around and getting into all kinds of trouble.
I blame it on his deep seeded neglect after Tron got all the love.
Could probably use a support-group thread for all the inanimate objects currently suffering after pinball machines got all the attention in their world.
PTSD (pinball traumatic spite disorder) ?

Well since it's a JJP game, that lamp will be handy adding GI lighting to the game. Should come as a package set and be included with Hobbit, if he's going to try and go with the light up post option again.

#415 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Those are targets...bump the ball into them when draining?

yes, but the left side has a kickback right there, which means there isn't going to be room for a pop bumper there, so HTF are you going to be able to hit that target?

#417 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Body English...bump that machine just as the ball reaches the wall.

Isn't that borderline close to doing a deathsave at that point?

1 week later
#551 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

Display animations update:
» YouTube video

display setup and looks are much better than WOZ. I like where it's heading. Might have to get one when you guys start dumping your games for the next new game you havn't played.

#594 6 years ago

I wouldn't be calling JJP a Ferrari. Far from it. It's more like GM fighting with Ford at this point. Or one might be a lexus, but neither are anywhere close to Ferrari status.

#602 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Given the electrical problems lets go with Jaguar.

HA! That's exactly right. Like they always say about Jaguar. You need to own 2 so you can drive one while the other is in the shop. Nice reference!

Lets not hope for a giant head in the game like in Godzilla. Thing takes up way to much real estate on the playfield. that would be awful.

#604 6 years ago

that's cuz coke sucks. Dr.Pepper is the way to go if you insist on drinking soda.

#611 6 years ago
Quoted from Peppers:

I love pinball.
I love Jersey Jack as a pinball company for a number of reasons.
I love Stern as a pinball company for a number of reasons.
The passion I have for both of these companies is NOT mutually exclusive. I think the majority of people feel this way, perhaps I am in the minority though, but I hope that people are open minded enough to see that both companies bring positives to our hobby, and the loss of any of these or other boutique companies would be a loss to our great Hobby.

I love zaccaria for number of reasons.

I find it ironic, I got a thumbs down for a dr.pepper reference from someone named peppers.

#621 6 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

What's kind of sad is... I kind of enjoyed that game at the time...
Collect the reeses pieces... made me think of candy... which made me happy

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/mar/07/seeking-et-atari-2600-landfill-xbox

et.png 486 KB

You mean this?

ET2600-JD.png
#716 5 years ago

yes, you did bret...yes you did...you tried to F@@K em.

#763 5 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

Sorry but that's not the way I saw it. In fact I was thinking about taking a picture because I couldn't believe there were no lines to the game. Here are some facts for you. Watch this video from Pinball News at the 9:10 mark.
» YouTube video
There is one person playing the game and with his girlfriend watching. You see two people behind the player with their arms on each other but they may or may not be waiting to play. Not really much of a Deep line. In fact there are more people watching and waiting to play the TRON which is right next to the WOZ.
Like I said twice already and I don't know why we are debating this but the point is the lines were nowhere near what they were last year.

this might be true. Close friend of mine (plays pinball but not a collector or avid player) got to play WOZ recently and her comment word for word is......."Don't ever make me play that game again". She hated it. I don't think it's very new player friendly. It gets their attention at first from the display, but once they play it, its such a confusing rat race for a casual player they have no idea what's going on. Just for the record, I don't hate it, but don't love it either. One thing I do hate about it, is that high pitched tink that the middle target does, other than that, it's a good first attempt at a game.

#767 5 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

Does anybody other than Jack really give a shit if there was a line to play WOZ? Especially in a Hobbit thread?
I sure as hell don't.

I care damn it...I care........ok, I don't.. about either or whatever. i'm not an OP and don't care that my games don't earn.

Line business? cocaine?

#771 5 years ago
Quoted from 6S3NC3:

90% of this site is crap. I see the same ppl posting the same thing in every thread I read. Like they need people to give a crap about what they have to say. Some of you guys just waste to much time talking negitive crap. For F**k sake men, its pinball and its all good. WOZ is great im sure TH will be great. When im out and about and find a pin I play a game on it and walk away happy that I just played pinball. Some of you sound like a bunch of girls or spoiled brats. But then again its a public forum so voice away if you must. Back on topic please.

Fixed it for you.

#774 5 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Agree! ^^^^^^^^ how do you change the original text of someone else anyway?? Always wondered. and I like balls and weiners

Like this.

#808 5 years ago

I don't think ruby red would fit very well for Hobbit. But if they had a Troll poop brown edition....now we are talking

#814 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Haha, you wouldn't pay for the LE crapper edition because your max is 6k, so you might as well flush your "poop" dreams of ever getting another NIB of any kind NEO….

Don't be so sure, I could find another NIB premium stern for 6k if I wanted. But even at 6k, it's stupid money for any pinball machine.

#826 5 years ago

I don't know why the hell you guys want updates anyway? Personally, I don't want to know every star post added to the game. The way he handled WOZ was crappy. There was no element of surprise, every aspect of it, I saw as it was being done, so when I actually saw the game in person, it was very uneventful. the whole game had a MEH, element to it. If I would have knew nothing and saw nothing about it, until it was revealed at a show, it might have blew my balls off.

You guys around here can't wait for anything. Impulse buyers. How crappy would it be for you as a kid on xmas, if you knew and saw everything you were getting? IT would have sucked. I know because one year I did know and there wasn't any surprise there. The surprise is part of the experience. Learn how to wait, and the less you know, the more impact the game will have during a reveal.

#829 5 years ago

but they are losing the wow factor, that gets people to buy a new just revealed product. the only ones your getting, are the ones that have no patience for anything. I think the WOW factor would reel in the compulsive buyers more so. And the ones that buy blind, without even seeing any art, your getting their money regardless, they are a no brainer. It's the ones that think more about their purchases, that you have to have a plan for.

#836 5 years ago

exactly, it's another reason why you should go for surprise wow factor over revealing everything. You get people to buy something without knowing really the ins and outs. From a sellers perspective you get more sales.

As for people not liking what they bought, you shouldn't be buying anything you havn't played anyway. It's the only way to avoid that ever from happening.

#845 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

So tell me again, how should I spend my own $$$$
If you aren't spending $$$, its easy to cast stones and a bunch of BS…..

It's just like the fact you shouldn't take preperation H orally. You can do what you want, but it's not suggested.

#869 5 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Well, some people talk out of their asses, so perhaps its NOT that bad of an idea....

Well the back of the tube still suggests otherwise.

3 weeks later
#989 5 years ago

From Gabe on JJP forum:
Great show and thank you to pinball star and jjp for having such a great presence at Allentown.
It was great talking to Jack and Jeff about the Hobbit. The game will be nothing short of amazing. What I can tell you is.....the rules are done just not programmed yet....the layout is done (some changes from what has been shown so far)....the third generation white wood is being built and should be done in a week or so. There are many more features that have not been relised. JJP is not trying to copy anyone they are making new innovations and raising the bar once again.

Sounds exactly like the speech they gave for WOZ. Just instead of them saying Hobbit. change it to WOZ. Same story same hype.

#1052 5 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

These just came in
Jack posing with PINBALL, the new photobook by Santiago Ciuffo.
Aside noticing the book, is that playfield artwork on that game? http://www.pinball-magazine.com

Gee, with that desk organized like that....no wonder he lost the WOZ order sheet.

jacks messy desk.jpg
#1061 5 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Ugh.... would love that option on ACDC.... I hate having to work the cannon button during multiball...

That's the whole point. Risk vs reward. Have to take your hands off the flippers. DE would have different bonus things happen where you would have to fire the guns and what not as well. I like stuff like that. makes you have to play better to pull it off.

#1063 5 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

Ok.. but I would have figured you would have photoshopped him reading it upside down.

he's not George Bush.

#1066 5 years ago
Quoted from TaTa:

More like Obama

Unlike Obama, G.B. has been seen in pictures with books upside down in his hands. Obama is smarter, just not very good with money.

#1100 5 years ago

page 22 seems to be the pages of thumbs down. With all that thumbing action going on, maybe some of you need to stick some of those in your butt.

#1102 5 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Whoa!! If true, then this is some major news.
Can anyone confirm/deny?

Don't care. Used to be a huge Lawlor fan, but he hasn't done anything worth a crap since RBION. He has potential if he's not restricted, but his hay day was the late 80's and early 90's.

#1147 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

You didn't dig Nascar Neo?

Nope, and I didn't try to put a Chevy 327 on my riding mower either.

#1170 5 years ago

you notice whoever posted it, did it under an alias. You know that has to be one of the regulars on here.

#1172 5 years ago

but at the same time, we all have seen how things turn out when you crank out games by the same designer. they all play and feel the same to some aspect. Can't have to much from the same person. Diversity is the key. That's why B/W did so well having many designers competing in house.

#1180 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Is Bryan Hansen still with JJP? The rumor I heard a while back was that he already completed a Pinball Circus re-design for JJP but I don't know if there's any truth to that?

Don't even tease about such things.

#1219 5 years ago
Quoted from HighNoon:

Actually, quite the opposite. A map is MORE important if the game is not linear.
--Luke

what if the map has several paths you can take. Each path would have different path of modes and objectives you could take. kind of like a choose your own adventure book, so it can play differently depending on how you want to play and what you go for.

1 week later
#1229 5 years ago

personally, I hope they never do an update again. Then it just shows up at a show. Would be nice to have some secrets and get some actual Wow factor going on.

#1232 5 years ago

that looks nothing like the shire or anything from hobbit town.

1 week later
#1290 5 years ago

What do you think. Are the big round holes there for GI?

I think the hole that says smaug, is one big GI bulb. Still would be an improvement. Least there is GI's this time around. Wonder if it's going to be a wedge socket.

#1342 5 years ago

If smaug blows real fire, i'll buy one, even if it stupidly priced at 8k.

#1344 5 years ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

Overall, very impressed, but the Smaug in the middle of the playfield seems off somehow, needs to be a little bigger to my eye.

careful what you wish for. You don't want a monstrosity like the Godzilla toy. Way to much space for very little. Trex in JP size is perfect. Very functional, not to much space. Still one of the best toys in pinball.

I like the CC style drop targets and troll head or TOM style scoops in the middle of the playfield. Could easily have "battle" type play style, where the game pulls shit in the middle of the game to block your shots, suck in your ball and screw you over. Which would be fantastic.

#1373 5 years ago

both the MM toy and JP dino are some of the best toys in pinball.

1 month later
#1417 5 years ago
Quoted from mummite:

agree I really thought he would be more predominate on the playfield art. Poster looks bad ass! the Smaug on the PF art is dinky......... here is hoping the toy is "MASSIVE"

careful what you wish for ......Godzilla...cough...godzilla.......cough

#1430 5 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

Greatest pin in the history of the universe? please say yes, please say yes....

Doubt he played it for a year to even be able to make that claim.

3 months later
#2340 5 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

You're right! I mean, JJP did such a WONDERFUL job of communicating at Expo that this was a prototype!

Ain't that the truth. They didn't defend much at all at the show. I know there are things they have to leave out due to the 3rd movie, but come on. If your product is going to be changed that dramatically, that it's going to look mediocre. Bringing it, to one of the bigger trade shows of the year, is not a good idea. All it is going to do is hurt sales. Especially when the competition was showing off things much more impressive.

If things are going to be lacking, at least try and explain without revealing to much, that it is a very early prototype and that many things are missing from the from the final design and look. Everyone I talked to at the show, had no clue if this was the final product or not. And I talked to a crapload of people.

#2673 5 years ago

the playfield art is drastically improved. Good work. Don't know if I like the gold coin version of Smaug. It would be nice to have the gold coins around his base and some on him, but the red version hidden in the gold coins. Not make him solid gold like he currently is. Nice to see improvements all around. will they be able to compete with the Big labowski quality? We will see.

#3029 5 years ago
Quoted from doughslingers:

The T-Rex only ate the guy on the toilet. It Is really scary for kids 4 and under. We had to remove the pin from some Carmike cinema locations due to the ball being gobbled up. I never understood until I watched the movie with my 4 year old who loved dinosaurs up to that point. I still remember the one cinema manager demanding we get the pin out now, we can't have kids crying and saying " mommy take me home" and the dads being forced to get refunds. The best license ever costs us as we ordered 6 and had to remove 4 of them in the first week and incredibly Data East had us the pins 2 days before the movie opened.

really? A 4 year old can't handle watching a ball get eaten by a dinosaur? JP is not a movie for a 4 year old anyway. if they can make the connection from the guy on the toilet scene and the machine, they should have not seen the movie. PG means no little kids. Hell, I saw Raiders of the lost ark at age 6. Scared the shit out of me. Probably shouldn't have been there, but dad wanted to see it.

But. I loved IJ. wanted to be an archaeologist until I found out it wasn't as exciting as IJ was. So just because something scares the shit out of you, doesn't mean it's not leaving a positive lasting impression on you.

#3033 5 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Please....the Vengeance is the most interactive toy since the castle in Medieval Madness.
It functions as all of the following.
1. Bash toy that reacts when hit. (Yes, I know the ball doesn't touch it, but the ship is part of the whole mechanism, and the illusion is complete. Quite ingenious, since it saves the toy from damage.)
2. Ball Lock (virtual and magnet)
3. Skill shot target
4. Defeated mode (Premium and LE)
and something the castle doesn't do.....
5. Fires ball back at you.

it's still just a drop target. Does about the same as the joker does on batman Dark knight. Makes a toy move. least the ship in POTC gets hit, moves, sinks and opens up a new passage. I like the Stern ST, don't get me wrong. but the "toy" is not all that great or inventive. Castle on MM is much better. I think I like the black bug target better on SST.

#3071 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

IM is old news now with the release of TWD sorry but its true. With Met Pre, STLE, TWDLE borg has surpassed that game ten fold. JMO

This is a classic case of being in serious lust. 5 years from now, lets see how you feel about any of those titles. Then you will truly know.

#3073 5 years ago

I think it's more of a case of ADD than anything else.

#3075 5 years ago

your collection history and current setup says different. If that isn't a classic case of ADD, I don't know what is. It takes at least 50-100 games just to break in a new game to make it playable. Then takes about 500 games to truly dig in and get to know what a game has to offer. 40% of your collection is a figment collection. When games hold the tests of time and still awesome after 5 to 10 years, then you know you have something special.

#3077 5 years ago

fair enough, i'm just giving you shit anyway. Play what you like. If we all like the same shit, my games would be to expensive for me to buy.

#3191 5 years ago
Quoted from jazc4:

The assumption is that Jack is showing us real time changes on everything. I think some things are real time, but not everything. I believe Jack is holding back stuff to wow us at the final production reveal.

Jack doesn't know how to hold anything back to WOW. This is one of the main problems. Every single detail is always revealed every step of the way. Which is great for the people who have no patience for anything, but greatly hurts the impact and wow factor you would normally get from seeing a "completed" game for the first time. There are pros and cons to both sides. With Jacks method, he can get feedback from people so they can tell him what sucks and what is great. But on the flip side, you lose the compulsive buyers who would pull the trigger as soon as they see the game and have to have it instantly before having time to think about it.

#3233 5 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

Billy Boyd will sing the end credit song. I like the song and hope they have the rights to put it in the game, perhaps as victory song after wizard mode.
» YouTube video

This song was pretty awesome.

You know the last hobbit movie didn't have a powerful song in it. Every LOTR and the first hobbit all had that powerful moving song in them. 2nd hobbit movie did not.

#3235 5 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Too busy with slapstick barrel riding and non-canon romancing to have time for actual cinematics I suppose...

lets not forget over the top battle sequences for legolas for no reason. He went a little too much in the last one. Even bugged me when it would do it once for each movie in LOTR. This last one I think he had 5 moments of ridiculous legolas fight scenes.

2 weeks later
#3432 5 years ago

I want to see the Jpop stuff get made because I want to see what magic girl looks like. Always been a fan of his games, not always a fan of the rules, but the games always look great. I could have gotten in on Magic girl when it was first announced, which was 13k the initial day. But, like I always say, play before you pay. Especially with a big ticket item like this. Couldn't do it, but I hope it looks great and is awesome for the ones that did get in. Means he'll make more of other games in the future.

#3466 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I like and really enjoy that Jack has gone to a more open and once set up I think fast game.

Name one widebody that is a fast playing game?

#3475 5 years ago

neither one is that fast of a game tho. STTNG especially. Sure you have it set to 9 degrees and it will drop fast, but with widebodies, you still have a long side to side action which is why widebodies have slow play. Hobbit looks like it will very slow because of the wide open space. DM can be faster only because the ramps are nice , quick and smooth. But is slower when you shoot the center skip ramp and right loop and left eye shot. Still isn't as fast as something like IM.

#3477 5 years ago

I don't care for speed personally. I'm just justifying those that are saying Hobbit looks like it's going to play fast. Error...error....error...does not compute.....wide body....fast playing......error...

Personally, TZ and TAF are some of my top favorites and they are not know for speed or flow. I prefer stop and go action as there are more shots and more the the layouts on those games over , flowy fan pattern ones.

robbie.jpg
#3479 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I don't understand?

untitled.png 20 KB

Here's a visual aid.

stopngo.jpg
1 week later
#3588 5 years ago

that looks to be a pretty awesome place to play.

#3590 5 years ago

I just saw they had some EMs and old school DMD's. I love diversity. Especially in locations.

#3593 5 years ago

sounds awesome. Wish we had a location like that around here.

#3596 5 years ago

I like all. All have their charm and appeal. I have to admit, it's hard to open that mind up and allow the old school stuff to enter. I think many of us that like early SS and EM stuff now, were close minded DMD snobs at first as well. Unless you were into that stuff when it was new, most of us were spoiled by the TAF, FH, WH2O stuff when it came out. Made us snub the old stuff. That is......until we played everything there was for the new stuff. Started giving the old school stuff a chance, and realizing the rules and layouts can be just as fun as any DMD title.

#3599 5 years ago

btw, drop targets are not the end all. My favorite EM of all time, doesn't even have a drop target in it.

2 weeks later
#3728 5 years ago

that mini LCD screen really bugs me how it's displayed. Feels to forced into the overall look. Would have been better to integrate it into a sculpted book, maybe with 2 separate LCD's for each page to make it look more like a book. I don't know. Just seems out of place right now. Hopefully that part will be changed in the final draft. Hope so. Still think that upper flipper is completely useless. Would rather see the money for those parts go into something more useful.

#3733 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

I now realize why I never had a desire to see that movie. It looks just awful.

It's actually pretty awesome. Has a unique storyline. I liked it a lot.

#3782 5 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

First a useless upper flipper in WOZ, and now one in Hobbit. I guess the useless flipper has become one of JJP's signature playfield features.

DOn't know why your getting thumbs down for that. It's fact. Look at the hobbits shot pattern. Is there anything that upper flipper can hit that you can't hit with the normal flippers? That is a useless flipper. That is the definition of useless flipper. You can't thumbs down that without really understanding it.

TOmmy has an upper flipper. Also has shots that can only be obtained from that flipper
Batman forever, TZ, TAF, FH.....all have shots that HAVE to have that flipper to be made. If you can make it with the bottom flippers, there is no sense in having it.

#3783 5 years ago
Quoted from Wamprat:

A NIB Stern LE is nearly the same price as a NIB JJP LE in Australia and the Stern comes without shaker, invisiglass and lcd.
I know where my money is going.

in your pocket so you can buy 5 or 6 older titles?

#3806 5 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Each drop target is individually controllable up and down. Never been done before.

What? There are plenty of early solid state games that could control drop targets up and down. medusa, Orbitor 1 just to name a few.

#3809 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

This was the dumbest post so far of 2015. Yeah. Why recycle old pinball tech like flippers and balls and slingshots too. Because that's pinball. Wow. Just wow.

I disagree. I think the dumbest post award goes to the post about no individual controlled drop targets before. Only done since...ummmm... 1980. Maybe even before.

#3811 5 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Were they game code controlled? If so than I stand corrected.

100% code controlled. Medusa would have a bank of 1 target. then when you hit that, it would advance to 2. Then 3, 4 , 5 , 6 and 7 for the final battle.

#3813 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Point out a game that has multi bank (or even single) BI-DIRECTIONAL drop target control.

shadow

#3816 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

No it doesn't. I have a Shadow. The game can reset the target. The ball drops the target. The software can NOT drop the target on its own.

You sure you have one? Better think about that one more time....take your time..you'll get it.

#3818 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

I actually just checked and I'm correct. The sanctum wall is NOT a drop target. Nice try though.

it's a drop target.

Magic castle also has an individual drop target that can be controlled up and down by the software. has a timer, where it can pull it away from you. 1983

#3821 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Keep telling yourself that but it's not. It has no mechanism to allow for ball controlled drops and it also is actually the REVERSE of what a drop target would be.
Why am i even arguing with the guy who thought MM's came with decals.

sanctum.JPG 130 KB

fine pull up the mech for magic castle. It's 1983 technology anyway. Better example.

#3826 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Try again? Maybe third times a charm?
» YouTube video
Never once does the software down/up reset a target. Every target is hit by the ball to drop it with just a basic reset.

No. The orange drop in front, goes up and down and is controlled by the CPU, it's also can be hit directly to score.

just like Cactus Canyon....which has 4 of them.

#3828 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

I actually just checked and I'm correct. The sanctum wall is NOT a drop target. Nice try though.

Btw, it's a target that drops, what would you call it? In all tense and purposes, it's a drop target and it's bi directional.

but as I said before. Zaccaria did it in 83 on magic castle. (not the banks the standalone) and cactus canyon did it with 4 of them.

#3833 5 years ago

btw, i'm not putting down hobbits use of the bidirectional drops. I'm just saying, it's not new technology. Might be used in a slightly different way, as a moving wall in hobbit, but the technology has been done for a long time.

Actually the roaming wall was the one feature i did like when I demoed the game. There really wasnt' much else there at the time beyond that.

#3838 5 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

What our target banks can do, and AFAIK has never been done before, is that every individual target has an up and down coil.
Most drop target banks fall into the following categories:
1. Reset all up (player knocks down) - the vast vast majority of drop targets
2. Reset all up and individual trip down (Meteor-style and 8 Ball Deluxe-style - the most common CPU-controlled targets)
3. Trip all down and individual reset up (Barracora and Jungle Lord style - much more rare CPU-controlled)
4. Reset all up and trip all down (AFAIK fairly uncommon - TSPP had these)
Yes individual targets such as IJ and FT have been around a long time. They have never been put together in a 2+ bank-style assembly for lots of reasons - primary probably being drivers available and secondary being cost.
So yes, to the best of my knowledge our targets are the first bank-style completely controllable targets.

This is a true statement.

#3843 5 years ago

we already pointed out a bunch of games that had them. I think he was just a big over zealous when he made that statement and didn't think about it.

Kieth pointed out the differences and stated this is probably the first time it's been done in a bank setting. I can't think of any that do it in a bank style, but if there is an Early SS game that did it, i'm sure zaccaria could have pulled it off. They did a lot of thing nobody else was doing. I know they did it on a single target, just don't know if they ever did it in a bank.

#3868 5 years ago

Unless it is used for a combo shot That is were the rules come into place.

It's a waste of production money and resources. That mech isn't cheap. PPL charges $36+ for a flipper unit. So you know JJP is probably paying $12 something a unit. That's a lot of expense for production. You can create a lot of stuff for $12. Things that would be more fun, or more visually appealing. Just to have that expense for maybe a combo bonus with that flipper? Kinda lame. About as good as Demo man when you use the triggers and get the million point bonus per shot.

#3884 5 years ago

We will see how it turns out. It is not always easy to give comment on something that does not represent the final product.

Trust me i'm all for playing before judging. I have played this, but you can tell by looking at it, the flipper doesn't do anything constructive. It's not about trying it (which I have), it's about there is no place for the ball to go. Just wish the resources were used for something else.

#3892 5 years ago
Quoted from Hitch9:

Yup, my engine in my 2012 car, is still an engine like a model T ford,
But it's just a tad different.

I think your analogy is wrong. Comparing engines would be like comparing SS with EM. Comparing drop targets would be like comparing the door on your 2012 car and a Model T. Yup, they both swing open same. outward.

#3899 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

The analogy is perfect if you are comparing things from 3 decades ago to now and saying they are "the same technology" which is incorrect. May be the same principle but not the same technology. It's like comparing the Henney Kilowatt to the Tesla S.

Comparing engine technology would not be the same. Doors would be a better comparison. Door technology is a little more advanced now. you can roll down the windows, locks, but the basic technology is there. Engines are the main brain of the car. That would be like comparing the motherboard to a EM relay bank. That technology has advanced much farther to the point where it's almost indistinguishable from it's initial release. Drop targets, whether they are from the 40's or today, still look the same and easily identifiable.

#3959 5 years ago

Skittles...makes mouths happy.... that's their catch phrase right?

#4012 5 years ago
Quoted from Euchrid:

Hopefully, it's to put the ring on and take it off. Like you only get 30 seconds per game (you can earn more somehow) to wear it, but when you have it "on" you have certain advantages/disadvantages during play. That would be cool!

Better yet, makes you disappear and someone thinks nobody is playing the game and tries to stick quarters in your butt.

#4025 5 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Get yourself a paper cut on your asshole and then answer that question again.

to get a paper cut, that would have to be some really new money.

2 months later
#5435 4 years ago

I had a chance to play this at MGC with much improved code.

Looks a little better than it did when I played it at expo.

Book still looks forced and out of place. Still to much open space in the center of the game. think it should have been a regular body game, then it would feel about right. Lot of real estate to cover that is just open space.

I played with several groups of 4. The rules were confusing. You have all these arrows lit, some with different colors and nobody could figure out what they were for. Not having things labeled on the playfield, I think is screwing things up. It's relying on the display way to much. Out of all the groups I played with, no one could figure out how we actually start a mode. We were doing stuff, but didn't know what we were doing and why. Only thing we could figure out is lighting the lock and locking the balls for the 3 ball smaug multiball.

Also, those 4 roll overs in the middle of the field, need softer springs in them. the were diverting the path of the ball like crazy. Stick up twice as far as the ones on CV. Might be just how they are mounted or that specific machine, but needs to be adjusted and lowered.

Still like the moving drop targets and some of the ideas with them.

#5451 4 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

Ah balls! Confusing rules? How could that be the two "greater" coders working on the game? I guess I could just hit the flippers non stop like a 4 year old and watch the movie on the display.

it's not really a coding thing that's the problem. it's the lack of information on the playfield. Having a pretty display is all fine and good, but not having anything written on the playfield is bad. They are trying to have the display do everything, and nothing on the playfield so they have the freedom to write rules as they please. But it also assumes you know what shots are called or areas of the playfield are called. If pinball veterans can't figure it out, how the hell is someone new suppose to know what's going on?

#5481 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Like what do you want written? I'm not sure I follow...I don't read the playfield with any game I've played or owned. I look for flashing lights, lit lights, DMD instructions. With JJP games we have LCD and colors to give us info. Give me an example from a game.

it's like this. Like when you're playing LOTR. DMD displays shoot the shire. If shire wasn't written on the playfield, how do you know what the hell to shoot for? It would be nice if extra ball, mode start and basic stuff like that was written on the playfield, so you know where those shots are. Lock is written in the ramp but it doesn't seem like a lit insert. Seems like background GI lighting more than something you have to acknowledge as telling you something.

#5482 4 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

What's the big deal? Like any game for the most part, your never going to understand all you have to do by walking up to a new game besides shoot the flashing lights. Once you play the game a dozen times, who needs to have words written on the pf. Sounds like trying to find an excuse for not liking a game.

At least when you walk up to something like TZ. Before you even start the game. You look over the playfield you can see. Lock arrow is here, extra ball is here. You walk up to hobbit and you can't tell jack shit about anything. Nothing is labelled. You have no idea what a red arrow means, what a green arrow means. And you sure the hell are not going to tell anything before even starting the game.

#5505 4 years ago

I dont' have a Woz and i'm here. People that go to shows play these games and have constructive input on the games being developed.

5 months later
#8678 4 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

Have you done it? I have on The Shadow. No grooves on black powder coated ramps after like 10 years. Seems like speculation of people who haven't done it, based on my first-hand experience with actually doing it. Especially when we're talking non-routed pins for the most part.

Powdercoating ramps is a terrible idea. I think companies and people should have learned just from the powdercoated wiretubes on GNR. That alone slowed the ball down enough, that DE put out a chrome version to "fix" the fact that many games couldn't autolaunch the ball into play. Just that fact alone, would make me NOT want powdercoat on a ramp. Especially a steep ramp like shadow. Plating yes, powder no.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Virginia Beach, VA
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Neepawa, MB

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider captainneo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside