47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cal50.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7022 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

We have all said things we regretted that were not intended to be offensive.

While managing a company trying to sell a retail product ?

Posting something negative in a public form travels at light speed...........especially if it comes from someone in the industry.

#7044 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

It stomped me a couple of games. It is much different than I expected (in a good way). Lots going on.
Oh, and I thought I'd hate the pop up trolls, but they are fun as hurryups.
image.jpg

FIFY

426389-i.jpg426389-i.jpg

#7186 8 years ago
Quoted from Banker:

JJP is looking for ways to produces the highest quality pin, my intention is to own each of them. Sad truth , stern is searching for ways to cut corners everywhere, and they are having many quality control issues.. .

Meh.

Does highest quality means changing their manufacturing process or vendors to save money ?
( Clearcoated cabs to decals , change PF suppliers with some bad ones still floating around and getting stickers for it, etc.)

Most companies involved in manufacturing are always looking to improve their process and lower costs.
JJP & Stern included.

As to "many" QC issues compare the volume and multiple titles produced by Stern vs the issues with one (1) JJP offering thus far.I would think Stern has had fewer issues across multiple titles than the slow delivery and multiple issues WOZ had.

Hopefully JJP has learned and can apply its knowledge moving forward becasue there is room for two solid manufacturers but they really need to step up and deliver (on time) unless their business model is a 1~2 game every couple years.

3 weeks later
#7497 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

...also likely $9k.
$7500 for Hobbit is looking like a deal now.

Is it really a deal if you cant get it today, tomorrow or ( insert number of months here ) ?
Not sure how anything can be a "deal" when it does not exist and not manufactured yet.

Most people will wait a reasonable amount of time for something they want but kicking that wait out to years is a stretch.

1 week later
#7691 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNavidad:

Your endless digs at WOZ, JJP, and TH were getting stale. Not much has changed in the last year. ”

The ribbing or "digs" are just hitting on the many promises made by JJP and the failure to execute them.
I think some WOZ fans take it all personally and WAY to seriously.

You are correct that not much has changed in the last year except some more ribbing or "digs".
YMMV.

#7725 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Could Stern be pressuring suppliers to only work with them?

Possible but they pay for parts and actually build games so its doubtful.
Why pressure a supplier to a very low volume & distant competitor? Makes zero sense.

#7747 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Thankfully the new investment money will enable them to start production soon.

Money gets you material/s.
It does not fix logistic, design, build, etc. problems if they exist.
His overhead does not stop when production does so that eats up more money. The long delay is not only embarrassing but costs real money that is not good for any startup.

#7778 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

There's a reason JJP continues to sell them.

Its likely because its the only game they make and it took years to make that one.

#7789 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Yeah, people keep buying them because it sucks and its the only game they make.
I'm thinking its because its a great F ing pin!

Sucks?
People buy things becasue they want it, if they sell it it, its for a reason.
Not sure what the factory wait or price is but plenty of WOZ's for sale here or on Mr.Pinball.

A TV commercial said "two out of six struggle with the effects of diarrhea".
That means 1/3 of the people were OK with it apparently.
Some people are OK with WOZ and some people are OK with the leaky brown stuff.
To each their own.

YMMV & Lighten up Francis.

1 week later
#7983 8 years ago

Was there only one ( 1 ) Hob set up to play on 2 -balls per game ?
If so that is a red flag IMHO.

#8023 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

The LCD is and has been a game changer. Dots and Dmd's suck.

Meh.
Ever play a fun EM ?

The action is on the PF & that is where the "fun" is IMHO. A big honking LCD flat panel no doubt gets attention in a line of regular pin but after the initial wow factor its what happens on the PF that keeps people coming back or move to another machine. I never heard of anyone having a favorite machine to play based on looks.

#8038 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

We will hear all the praises and how great the LCD is as soon as Stern implements it. It doesn't count when JJP does it.

That is more shallow than a kiddie pool but whatever floats your boat.

#8060 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

You don't think people will be raving about the LCD when Stern puts it in? I will.

Don't know & don't care, if a person is amazed at a flat panel then likely so.
I like games that are more fun to play than look at.
YMMV.

#8062 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I like games that are fun to play and fun to look at. That's the best way to get me to open my wallet, do both.
With the rate that JJP puts out games I don't think they can afford to think any other way.

True that.

JJP has shown they can produce a game ( singular ). The long delay/s ( plural ) is not helping them.

I think any true pinball fan appreciates a nice game no matter the source but not many of that group will spend several thousands of dollars and wait years get a game, ANY game.

1 week later
#8300 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

^ Nothing will be revealed at expo, just like Stern won't say what's after GoT.

Stern actually releases / produces games so you can see and purchase the sum of their efforts.
They do not need to say whats next becasue its in the pipeline and happens on a regular basis.

JJP, not so much.

#8340 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

If JJP releases anything on Lawlor's games the sharks will pounce and pronounce Hobbit dead as they have with the announcement of GoT. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. I wouldn't release a single tidbit on Lawlor's game until it's ready to ship (like Stern does). Pre-orders are dead, so why reveal anything until then?

Sharks ?
You mean open discussion on a public forum ???

It all comes back to credibility and people listening to what JJP is saying and watch what they are doing or not doing.
When the two do not match a persons credibility drops and people loose interest or belief in what they are saying.

Its pointless to make claims about future games ( any ) when people waited years for game #1 and waiting years for #2.
I would actually like to see them make the frigging game because the theme is more appealing to me than WOZ but the endless delay and silence is hurting them. Forget Stern, JJP is JJP's biggest problem right now.

Its all idle chit chat in the meantime.

1 week later
#8658 8 years ago
Quoted from mattster:

Gary manufactures pinball machines to make money.
Jack manufactures pinball machines to make pinball enthusiasts happy.

If you think for a millisecond that anyone in business (any product) is not concerned about making money you are sadly mistaken.
The bottom line guarantees continued existence. If not the business goes away.

#8661 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

True. The thing is, JJP HAS to be better than Stern. If not then what's the point? People would just stick with the bigger, faster company pumping out machines. If JJP was equal in quality to Stern they would be dead.

"Better" is subjective and that varies depending on the customer and is defined in a customer/s own terms.

If JJP can continue to exist making a game every few years then good for them but I do not know of many businesses that operate that way. Hopefully the launch of game #2 is not plagued with the same problems as experienced in game #1 and they start rolling out without further delays.

#8664 8 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Are there any video game companies that work like this? It seems like unless they have multiple teams in place, it must take years to develop a game.

Development is a different environment than the manufacturing floor. Its costly to have an assembly line / area sitting idle. Typically one platform is being manufactured while another is in development then the transition to the new product while production continues. Years of development is fine if you have other things running or being produced to offset the overhead. Hopefully WOZ orders are solid and can keep a full time staff working and then transition or produce both at the same time.

#8730 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Watching him post progress photos as he works on your grail pin is better than sex.

You are doing something very wrong or need a partner.....

1 week later
#8803 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

The DMD dot picture is pure garbage by comparison. Along with pretty much everything else with Stern.
I love my Stern pins but looking to the future I'm all about JJP first. Hopefully they succeed and created dozens of pins in the future.

Would AC/DC be "more" fun if you cut the head off and slapped one on with a TV panel ?
The fun part is on the PF and the other stuff is attract mode eye candy IMHO.

Its great JJP is making something different but not everyone wants a monitor on their pinball machine.For those that do JJP is your pick.
Hopefully they can actually start steady production and eliminate the hugs gaps between machine delivery.

1 month later
#8893 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Yeah... I wonder how he does it?
jackstrat.jpg

You do whatever it takes to survive......

hob2.jpghob2.jpg

1 month later
#9004 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yup, you get far more for your money with a JJP LE (even standard) then a Stern LE.

A) You get nothing for your money for a couple years waiting with the hopes of the finished product being worth the wait.
B) A Stern game can actually be purchased and played.

Some people like waiting (A), some like playing pinball (B).
YMMV.

#9020 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

C. Some people like paying for a game that is actually worth it's asking price and has regular code support, hence WOZ and TH

Something a person buys is deemed worth the price....... if the person buys it & code support is just a tad easier when you only release one game in several years of operation.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cal50.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-update-1?tu=cal50 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.