47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider b9.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

Greetings Pinball Fans,
Today we are excited to reveal the lower portion of an early Hobbit Pinball Whitewood.

We wanted to show this photo to give some flavor to what the playfield space will look like. No real inserts, artwork or upper shot with ramps are shown yet. In the next couple of weeks, we will reveal most of that and show a flipping whitewood. In as much as this raises more questions and excitement, it goes along the line of showing some of our product development which has helped build JJP's loyal fan base.

"I'm getting very excited to see how The Hobbit is coming together" said Jack Guarnieri. "There are some very cool elements of the game including some things that have not been done before so this game will be another full featured action packed game from JJP. I'm looking forward to showing off a shooting playfield in the coming weeks!"

Unlike The Wizard of Oz where everyone knew the story line and characters, The Hobbit has had many closely guarded secrets including what Smaug looked like. Thankfully our Design Team has access to assets from the Trilogy and must work in secret. This obviously limits what we can show but we are making great progress on the game.

Game Designer, Joe Balcer says, "The Hobbit has so many unique characters, iconic objects, places, weapons, and story content that our team is sorting through everything to have the right mix as a finished product in a timely manner. Believe me, it is a huge challenge to top WOZ as a complete package, but the goal we have set for ourselves is to do just that! The Hobbit is coming along just as I imagined it would from the day we signed the contract. This is an incredible title that needs an awesome game to go with it, and our team will undeniably accomplish that. Smaug lives...you'll see!"

According to Yahoo: Finance, "The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug" has crossed $800 million at the worldwide box office, with markets still to open. The film, a production of New Line Cinema and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures (MGM), has thus far grossed an estimated $242.2 million domestically and $566 million internationally, for a worldwide estimated total of $808.2 million to date."

This video from Graphic Designer, JP De-Win is an early work-in-progress compilation and should give everyone an idea of what to expect to see on that big HD LCD in the backbox of The Hobbit. Music done by Nick Phoenix.

#3 10 years ago

hobbit.jpghobbit.jpg

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

Damn.. beat me by 6 seconds...

#9 10 years ago

I noticed the reflection in the JJP logo video is no longer showing WOZ

Hobbit HOB.jpgHOB.jpg

WOZ WOZ.jpgWOZ.jpg

#12 10 years ago

I like the video in the center of the screen

#112 10 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

Probably good they weren't playing on a WOZ. lol

but is you adjust for inflation (1939 to 2014) a 500,000 score is actually worth approximately 8 Million

#124 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I guess I do like that Hobbit can break a million though.

WOZ can break a million

wozscore.jpgwozscore.jpg

2 weeks later
#201 10 years ago
Quoted from Hogbog:

That would be me. I like to think I'm pretty different. Lights will not be daisy chained, GI will be different, inserts not blinding.

Plus it's going to be a fun game, because I'm one of the biggest Tolkien fans around, and rules are discussed among everyone on the team.

Thanks for sharing, I'm still interested in some sort of achievements system because it would add some additional goals and could be changed or updated over time

#211 10 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

Sorry B9, but that is not for me. I want pinball not an RPG.

You may be over thinking what my expectations of achievement are - maybe a screen at the end of the game that shows what you accomplished during that game, for example:

20 YBR
50 Loops in Munchkin land
07 Witch Encounters

etc

#214 10 years ago

Oh, I get it now. Yeah, that would be cool! Sorry for the misunderstanding.

no worries - I would be cool because JJP could add new achievements as updates get released. Initially there was some discussion about achievements like this and I hope that its something that they get to add in eventually.

1 month later
#433 10 years ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

Update from Jack:

I'm at DFW heading back to NJ via Atlanta.

The hour we had was very short. We got to stream a video of the Hobbit dashboard and animations but there was basically no wifi in that room.

I did say that I played one of the white wood Hobbits this past week at our Midwest Campus. The shots felt great, Joe and his Team are doing a great job with this game. It has a lot of strategy and shots and the game is more go than stop and go even with two magnets, diverters, under playfield action, Smaug interacting with the ball on both ends.

The art package from Jeff Busch, JP DeWin, and Matt Reisterer is awesome.

I've said it before, The Hobbit uses all of the 17 unused drivers that WOZ did not need so there is a lot going on.

Thanks for the update

#437 10 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

Hoping a big update proves me wrong.

A big update won't prove you wrong, shipping games on time will prove you wrong.

#450 10 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I love how people don't complain about Stern not actually giving us updates.

Are you talking about game progress updates or code enhancements ?

#546 10 years ago

I really like the display layout for the Hobbit

#608 10 years ago
Quoted from Darkslide632:

When I look at that picture, after filtering it a bit, I could see Smaugs head in the upper left corner, with his body in the upper right covering the pops, and tail running down the right side of the machine.

Seems like a lot of space taken up, but who the hell knows...

I agree that's a lot of space taken up but it's an imaginative view of how Smaug could look.

Thanks for sharing

#690 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

You're welcome! I also recall Jack mentioning something about the player controlling divertors on top of the playfield and underneath the game. My guess is that players will be able to control the main ramp divertor.

That's the first that I've heard of this

#782 10 years ago

With all this activity, I thought there was some hot new Hobbit news

#842 10 years ago

rats, I thought there was some news with all the new posts ... bah

#940 10 years ago

Anyone think there will be targets on the back side of the pop-up trolls?

#941 10 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

Mentioned in Hobbit Video thread but anyone else notice that the purple targets in front of Smaug area appear to be in a slot. I'm guessing that the target will slide to left in front of VUK to enable strikes on Smaug.

Thanks for pointing that out

#944 10 years ago
Quoted from retired_user_101:

how about alternating 'troll' or 'scoop'. the part switches out prior to trapdoor lifting up

Or maybe once up the popup could spin to show a 'scoop' or a troll ???

#954 10 years ago
Quoted from HENSBROOKER:

Smaug is still a big mystery of how it will get implemented in the game. I got to think how great it would be if Smaug could really speak and interact with the player. Like it can talk and move it's head. Follow ball movements for example.

The new Rudy

#973 10 years ago
Quoted from sillyoldelf:

It would be cool if they cut some flame type inserts into playfield that lit up when you hit smaug to give the impression of fire burning down the playfield.

I agree and feel totally spoiled with all the lighting effects in WOZ. The only thing that I wish WOZ had more of is localized GI lighting effects.

3 weeks later
#1011 9 years ago

is that the arkenstone in the near the flippers ?

#1067 9 years ago

With all the activity I thought there was some new Hobbit news

1 week later
#1209 9 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Pat is putting together his dream team from the 90's. I'm hopping.

I can already feel my wallet getting smaller

1 week later
#1224 9 years ago

Has there been any new information ?

1 week later
#1280 9 years ago

Here are some pictures I took from the video. Not the best quality but to give an impression:

Thanks for sharing the pics

HOB.jpgHOB.jpg
#1284 9 years ago

Maybe you can aim for the drop targets on the right side ?

#1287 9 years ago

What do you think. Are the big round holes there for GI?

If that's the case there's one additional GI light per slingshot as compared to WOZ.

EDIT: added WOZ pic

WOZ.jpgWOZ.jpg

#1305 9 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Big hobbit update coming this week. That's what I here. Latest white wood video is a possibility also.

Part of me doesn't want to see anymore but I can't resist looking once posted

#1360 9 years ago
Quoted from PaulCoff:

I assume whichever "inlane" or "outline" the ball goes down will triger the "pop-up" that matches Org, Goblin, Spider, or Warg? Hope so

I suspect it will be hard to guess the rules with any accuracy with Keith involved

#1391 9 years ago
Quoted from HighNoon:

Also, I think there is a diverter on the Bilbo ramp that gets the ball off the ramp and into the Smaug area. You can see the diverter in the latest schematic just to the left of the "Smaug" text.

Thanks for pointing that out, I totally missed it

1 month later
#1395 9 years ago

Hopefully Hobbit is as addictive as the WOZ especially with 4.0 code

#1462 9 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

New mechanisms new technology.

I'm looking forward to learning about the new mechanisms and technologies

1 month later
#1470 9 years ago

Here are some pics that I was able to take during the open house

IMG_3054.JPGIMG_3054.JPG IMG_3057.JPGIMG_3057.JPG IMG_3060.JPGIMG_3060.JPG
#1475 9 years ago

The more I look at the artwork the more I like it

It really looked much better in person.

1 week later
#1496 9 years ago

nice How heavy was WOZ again ?

looking forward to any updates with something new

#1504 9 years ago

I wonder if the Hobbit will have internet connectivity that will be used for updates or more ?

#1506 9 years ago
Quoted from TaTa:

It's in there. I snuck it in a white back but the surrounding ecosystem is being worked on so it's not enabled. Both wifi and LAN capability is there.

I know its been available because I was able to SSH to the WOZ

I'm just wondering what features it will bring when the HOB game is released.

#1514 9 years ago

What am I looking at

#1525 9 years ago

from the email

"We are currently building 75th Anniversary and Standard WOZ games as we prepare to change over to The Hobbit in late December! "

looks like production won't start until late December

#1571 9 years ago

This kind of reminds me of the rainbow plastic reveal for WOZ

rainbowfield.jpgrainbowfield.jpg

Post edited by B9: added pic

1 week later
#1796 9 years ago

Zooming in doesn't provide any additional clarity

H.jpgH.jpg

#1814 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

You forgot to "enhance"!

Wait a minute, there's a reflection

#1985 9 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

This thread is just choc full of info about The Hobbit.....

Because there's no real new info available, the void is being fueled by whatever

#2065 9 years ago

It appears that I can stop reading this thread until after Expo

1 week later
#2166 9 years ago

Is there something new between the speakers ?

H0B.pngH0B.png
#2168 9 years ago

This was posted in another thread and the source is https://twitter.com/BrooklynPinball/status/519629740433354753

H0b2.pngH0b2.png

#2172 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I'm going to guess it's used for a mini crossbow toy on the apron of the game.

It would be cool if the crossbow shot out a laser light when activated to show where the arrow hits, with a sensor on Smaug in the "sensitive" spot.

#2181 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

TaTa said:
Could it be a camera?

No

bah

#2193 9 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

I thought I read early on that they were going to go with combo buttons, like what's on RFM/SWE1. Did I misread this somewhere? If true, I would imagine the lockdown bar button is something else.

I also remember hearing this and hope that its still a possibility

1 week later
#2198 9 years ago

Almost time for the Expo update

#2202 9 years ago

I really didn't expect to read 30+ game modes!

I wonder if the jaw moves on the Smaug toy when talking ?

#2205 9 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

In 20 minuts? (Getting late here, home of tbl, lol)

Almost time....

3 weeks later
#2232 9 years ago

Thanks for posting, I enjoyed watching it

#2248 9 years ago
Quoted from Jamaster10:

I will post pics and some video nest week from Iappa

Pincades
Chicagoland JJP Dist.

JT

Sweet! I look forward to seeing what's changed

Thanks!

1 week later
#2252 9 years ago

IAPPA starts today

#2255 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Tomorrow likely. Today is set up

Ok, looks like we'll need to wait one more day

#2277 9 years ago

Thanks for posting that pic

Looks like there's going to be some new information to digest soon.

#2279 9 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

I bet you will be able to shoot into the Smaug area somehow at least.

I hope so

#2701 9 years ago

Can you make the left ramp shot with the upper right flipper ?

#2740 9 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

so, is the circled orb (which lites up) supposed to be smaug's eye when he first awakens?

I never thought that to the the eye and just thought it was there for lighting. Looking at it now, I think it would be cool if that was the Arkenstone.

#2885 9 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

B9 said:
Can you make the left ramp shot with the upper right flipper ?

As it stands now, any shots with the upper right flipper to that ramp aren't going to be smooth (the angles don't seem correct) and that ramp side wall is going to take a pounding... Haven't yet seen anyone do it in the videos...

Someone did it about 18 seconds into this video

#2919 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

No, it doesn't go up and smoothly curve around to the sword. It hits a target and usually the bottom of the ring wraith before plonking into the sword. On mine and any I've played at least...

It works much better than that on mine

#3121 9 years ago

The new Smaugs both look great! Well done JJP. I am getting the SE version and I think the gold Smaug may look best with the gold powder coat. That is my first impression anyway. Love that gold powder coat too. Thank you Jack and team.

Totally agree!

Now I just need to imagine Smaugs eyes with LEDs

#3185 9 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

In good Pinside fashion, I think we need to start "constructively criticizing" the gold pile more. It could look fantastic with better shading and some things other than coins added like in the movie.

I think the yellow flasher could become the Arkenstone

2 weeks later
#3352 9 years ago

Any videos posted showing the new playfield in action ?

#3356 9 years ago

Whoops, I thought someone posted a video

#3435 9 years ago

Any new video available ?

2 weeks later
#3636 9 years ago

Couldn't you have the best of both worlds and get the SE and buy the LE super thick replaceable artwork ?

#3638 9 years ago

I just went back and got a chance to look at the videos that were posted

#3648 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Heres a little new years fun...This is some hobbit audio playing in the video..The game volume is set and the track just gets progressively louder.. enjoy...crank your speakers
thanks,
Lorenzo
pinnovators.com

https://flic.kr/p/qBZyHV

That sounds great!

Thanks for posting

#3654 9 years ago

New Year's bump for those that missed the Hobbit music post

1 week later
#3740 9 years ago

Are the letters individually lit on the ramps ?

#3742 9 years ago

Take a look at how the interface has changed from the original posting at the beginning of this thread (12 months ago)

Original
HOB-INT-0.jpgHOB-INT-0.jpg

Current
HOB-INT-1.jpgHOB-INT-1.jpg

#3880 9 years ago
Quoted from alichino:

Looking at all of the modes in the middle makes me wonder what super-human feats are going to be required to get to the Wizard Mode. This may make TSPP look shallow by comparison.

I'm hoping that modes can be added over time to keep the game fresh (I know, probably just a pipe dream)

#3913 9 years ago

I don't think this video from EAG has been posted yet

#3942 9 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

Can we please get an option in the code to add a zero or 2 to the tail end of the points scoring

tack on a sticky not with two zeros if you need it

#3943 9 years ago

Sure I may have exploited the Haunted Multiball scoring bug to get such a high score but I've at least got a picture

219026.jpg219026.jpg
#3969 9 years ago

Any new Hobbit news ?

#3979 9 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

I was simply inquiring about the statement Jack himself made that he was under contract to deliver the game at movie opening?

Don't contracts (SLA's, SLO's) get broken all the time ? Where there any penalties ?

At this point I really don't care

I just want the Hobbit pinball to be the best it can

#4004 9 years ago
Quoted from kidvid:

As someone who is in the queue to get one of these, this is something that worries me a lot. I'd like it if the game were to slow down or stop at the appropriate moments so I can enjoy some of the special effects shown on the LCD.

I enjoy watching the LCD when someone else is playing

Edit: Whoa post 4000

#4009 9 years ago
Quoted from mummite:

I am curious how this button works as well. If it's just to fire the windlance, its seems under utilized. I always thought this would be for controlling the top divertor, but it is in an odd place for that.

For some reason I imagine using it to whack down the pop-ups, kind of like whack-a-mole.

2 weeks later
#4296 9 years ago

I'm in a holding pattern, just waiting for the opportunity to play it

#4305 9 years ago

here's a picture of the grid

HOB-GRID.pngHOB-GRID.png
#4337 9 years ago
Quoted from jazc4:

I counted 35 hexagons in the grid. I never noticed The Shadow of the mode symbol in each hexagon. Pretty cool.

It would be cool if as you progress more modes show up on the right hand side, therefore not limiting the number of modes to 35

#4364 9 years ago
Quoted from PBINTHESOUTH:

So who has the earliest order date.. my request was made November 29 2012...

11/26/2012

1 week later
#4435 9 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

Need my Hobbit fix!!!!

I know the feeling

3 weeks later
#4731 9 years ago
Quoted from lodgingdolphin:

Here is a video of a game I played on The Hobbit at the Ohio Pinball Show. The right slingshot wasn't functioning.

Thanks for posting the video!

#4816 9 years ago

It is #1 on my list!!! We have a Day 1 order for TH and we're eager to play it.

I look forward to reading your report

1 week later
#4951 9 years ago

I played it and loved it! I'm a day one order and am eager to take delivery. On my first game I was able to lock three balls and get Smaug Multiball. It was amazing! Butch Peel said to me that if I like it now just wait until I see it with the programming more complete. There will be an RGB LED on the lockdown bar fire button. Depending on what color it is, the function of the button will vary. Cool! I thought the mouth and teeth of Smaug were very well done and Smaug's speech was perfectly synced with the mouth movement. The eye LEDs were not yet installed. Jack told me the game has been on the road constantly throughout the U.S. and Europe and hasn't made it back to the barn for an update in a while. He hinted that it will ship with code that is far advanced from what WOZ shipped with. The lighting was very impressive yet different from the style of WOZ. owning both JJP games will not seem the least bit redundant.

Thanks for the update

#4952 9 years ago

One thing that hasn't been talked about for a while is the incorporation and use of WiFi. Is this going to happen with the launch of Hobbit ?

#4975 9 years ago

Any good pictures of the new smaug head with teeth in the game ?

#5000 9 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

Welcome to the threads 100th page anniversary!

Amazing that this thread has made it to 100 pages

#5028 9 years ago

Thanks for the video

#5079 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Agree. $7500 is my limit. These $8k and $9k prices are insane and will eliminate nearly all home buyers over time in my opinion.

Same here

Quoted from Pimp77:

I'm likely just a HUO/used buyer for Pat's game. I think a lot of people think the same thing. Let's hope the drop in sales won't be attributed to the original theme instead of the inflated price.

Exactly!

#5119 9 years ago

check out the bonus screen

HOB_Bonus.jpgHOB_Bonus.jpg
#5259 9 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

eye candy (no pun intended)

LOL

#5575 9 years ago
Quoted from PinChili:

I appreciate that you're not concerned and let's just say by all likelihood you'll get your games soon enough. However, am I wrong to assume that in order for game 1 of Hobbit to ship by the end of May parts should have already started arriving and a production line should have started being put together in order for that to happen? Playfield artwork was finalized long ago so I would think there should at least be plenty of those on site now, right? Is it really crossing a line to ask for evidence of a production line coming together? Why would JJP want to hold that news back?

If you really need to know what's going on give Jack a call.

#5576 9 years ago

Not sure if this video has been posted yet or not but hoping this gets the discussion back on track

#5579 9 years ago

another video

#5581 9 years ago

Radagast the Brown mode

Radagast_.jpgRadagast_.jpg

#5582 9 years ago
Quoted from PinChili:

BUT, I don't even have skin in the game. That's the truth, I'll admit it. I just don't like what I'm seeing and history seems to be repeating itself all too quickly as of late. I would hate to see more pinball fans get hurt.
I want to believe everything is just great and going smoothly but common sense tells me otherwise.
If every pre-order person on here thinks it is too much to ask JJP for more information on Hobbit production and they do not want to hear me post about why this is very suspicious then I'll stop. If someone IS interested in more information please say so or PM me.
Enough said. I tried.

I understand totally! I was in on WOZ a few weeks after preorders opened and the two'ish year wait was very long filled with twists and turns. I always wanted to know more but never got so anxious as to ever need to call Jack. For me it was worth the wait because I really like WOZ it makes me think and choose my gameplay carefully if aiming for my personal best.

I got in on Hobbit day one

Sure I would have liked an interative Smaug, better GI lighting, or a half a dozen more things but I think it will all work out just fine.

1 week later
#5811 8 years ago

Those videos show a much faster looking game than I remember

#5823 8 years ago
Quoted from brocksbricks:

Thanks for the quick reply. I've submitted a request to join the group now. Pretty excited for my first pin ever. I've been lurking ever since I pre-ordered in December.

Sweet! Welcome to the sickness

#5840 8 years ago
Quoted from Eryeal:

For what it's worth, your video is not 360p - it would be pixelated as heck on full screen. Your video is 1080p, and very clear.

I was able to put it on 2160p and wow does the video look good

Thanks for posting Pinstym

#5891 8 years ago

I just stumbled on this video

#5933 8 years ago
Quoted from mystman12:

I had a pretty good game at Allentown, and caught it all on video if anyone wants to watch another one!

Thanks for posting!

I was able to hear some new sound clips in this video

3 weeks later
#6274 8 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

I am switching from SE to LE..
You see the trim a lot more than the side art. Unless you have 2 pins there is too much Smaug in the SE.
On top of that I don't get how adding gold to a red dragon is a good thing. I understand the composition complaint on the LE but this is not a poster you are going to be staring at. LE package just feels right (to me).

Now I'm second guessing my SE choice. Thanks everyone!

#6281 8 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

I think here the bronze looks a lot better with the playfield art than the gold,

Are there any good pictures showing the two colors side by side ?

4 weeks later
#6592 8 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

All I saw was Invisiglass, shaker, and the stainless trim. Or am I missing something?

for those to lazy to look it up

hobbit_matrix.JPGhobbit_matrix.JPG

#6654 8 years ago

Thanks for the pics

Now back to waiting.

#6766 8 years ago

With all the activity, I thought I missed something important

#6769 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I would recommend requesting to have this thread closed and creating a new 2015 Hobbit update thread.

A few pages of car talk isn't going to close the thread, a new thread would just quickly devolve back to car talk again anyway

#6836 8 years ago
Quoted from VacFink:

If properly aligned to the actual content, this should surely be more appropriately titled: Complaining and/or defending about a lack of updates, delays and the manufacture, owner, and employees of the company who’s making a game that we love and can’t wait to play.

hmmmmm

2 weeks later
#7304 8 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

You are going to love it! I very well might not of sold it after playing it. It exceeded my expectations!

You can come over and play it when it arrives

#7365 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

I'm afraid you're right... and thats why Im frustrated by the TH delays... more because i feel it is REALLY delaying JJP #3 even more!

It may also be helping to provide ample time to get JJP#3 on the assembly line as it's being announced.

1 month later
#8639 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Exactly what these are...there are light strips that shine through slots in the front of the apron. This bracket shields them from the players view.

I wonder if I could replace the WOZ apron with one of these

#8740 8 years ago

It's nice to see some progress

1 week later
#8780 8 years ago

I really like the match footage

#8794 8 years ago

also in that update were links to the most recent flyers

HOB-LE.pdfHOB-LE.pdf

HOB-SE.pdfHOB-SE.pdf

1 month later
#8867 8 years ago

I'm just waiting for some new news

#8916 8 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

By the way: why don't we call this the 2014 Hobbit Update Thread for consistency...

hmmmm

#8918 8 years ago

I wonder if new code has been added to the setup at IAAPA ?

Here's a video from 2014 IAAPA -

1 month later
#8961 8 years ago

Unfortunately there's nothing to really chat about that hasn't already been discussed and argued about several times over

#8972 8 years ago
Quoted from denmark71:

Does the hobbit still have the subway that feeds to the right vuk?

I believe it's still there

3 weeks later
#9289 8 years ago

New pics from JJP Facebook page (Yes these have already been posted to the 2016 Hobbit thread)

12592416_1112720445413217_2367419258805160283_n_(resized).jpg12592416_1112720445413217_2367419258805160283_n_(resized).jpg

12592782_1112718878746707_3178727899817394511_n_(resized).jpg12592782_1112718878746707_3178727899817394511_n_(resized).jpg

#9301 8 years ago
Quoted from PinScott:

The photos from mnpinball's "The Hobbit Has Landed" revealed powder coated rails. It's not in the specs but clearly on that machine.

Here's a good pic from "The Hobbit Has Landed" thread showing the powder coated rails.

54bdc71ca8e77edbd0863b372da5fd0aca2924f2_(resized).jpg54bdc71ca8e77edbd0863b372da5fd0aca2924f2_(resized).jpg

1 week later
#9317 8 years ago

W00t! Got the word that my playfield is already on the assembly line!

#9323 8 years ago
Quoted from pinaholic:

Tomorrow, be here :
The Fifth Estate
506 Fifth Ave
Brooklyn NY
Hobbit will be there
Check it out yourselves
Two thumbs up !!

I wish I could be there, hopefully someone will go and take some excellent video

#9325 8 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

check the 2016 hobbit update or the Hobbit at Classic Pinball thread for video, although i would not be surprised if you dont think its excellent.

I did! It's the best new video I've seen all week

Thanks again for taking the time to post it.

1 month later
#9466 8 years ago

I got the call!!!!

So excited

#9518 8 years ago

It's finally in the house

808_(resized).png808_(resized).png

#9525 8 years ago

Hobbit_808_(resized).jpgHobbit_808_(resized).jpg

#9528 8 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Can someone with an SE record the SE attract mode? Is there a difference in SE and LE attract modes as of now?

Here's some footage of the attract mode, but I'm not sure if I got the complete loop.
I'll take some more video tonight and post it

** youtube is processing the file to rotate the image

#9529 8 years ago

Some pics

DSCN0103_(resized).JPGDSCN0103_(resized).JPG

DSCN0094_(resized).JPGDSCN0094_(resized).JPG

#9534 8 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Took lots of pictures but I don't think much that hasn't been posted already. I've hosted them on IMGUR so you can see them in full quality.

The picture of the leg really shows how nice it looks in person

#9536 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Recessed start button is awesome! I wonder if that can be retrofitted to WOZ.

I was thinking the same thing

2 weeks later
#9558 8 years ago

Here's another video of the Hobbit update v1.01 in action

#9560 8 years ago
Quoted from goldant:

Could you check if youtube lets you rotate the video properly?

I've started the process to rotate the video bit it's approximately 1.8GB in size so it may take some time.

If you use chrome here's an odd plugin that will rotate the screen

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/read-in-bed/gjbepkalbfffninamijgbcniiiogcgjp

#9561 8 years ago

Video finally finished

#9563 8 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

1. What's up with your spider? Seems to go up and down a little.

My spider has been giving me some trouble but I have some things to check out thanks to some suggestions posted on the JJP group

I'll have some time this weekend to fiddle with it and will post my results here

#9565 8 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

How are you mounting the camera?

It's a point and shoot camera on a small tripod tangled in the opening of the drop ceiling.

It had multi-point auto focus enabled and I think that's why there was some in and out blurriness.

I'm going to try some different settings and see what kind of results I get.

The Resurgence of Saruman mode is such a great lightshow but it doesn't come across well in the video.

#9569 8 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

only watched the first 9 minutes or so

You missed super spinner and extra ball -

#9576 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Looks cool! But is it weird that a lot of sounds, animations, call outs, and maybe even rules aren't in the game despite being completed?

There's more than plenty to do in the game right now, I'm still learning new things. For example, when you hit the pop bumpers (barrels) enough a single Dwarf drop target needs to get hit to get something. I say something because I didn't catch what it awards

#9596 8 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

There is an actual mode, during the play you shoot the right ramp - it diverts the ball into the left outlane and the post does NOT come up. So the ball is over, a punishment for shooting that ramp

I think this was a bug because I haven't encountered it in version 1.01 of the code

#9598 8 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

It has happened to me multiple times.

Have you had it happen while running the 1.01 code ?

#9601 8 years ago

another video

#9603 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Does anyone know if there will be custom callouts for Gollum, Bilbo, and / or Smaug as well? I thought I read somewhere that JJP got another voice actor to do those in addition to the guy that did the Gandalf callouts.

I sure hope so

#9604 8 years ago

I have a couple more videos to post

#9606 8 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

B9 is that spring on the shooter rod that weak??? Few times the ball came out and made it to the center of the pf and that was it!

Yes, the spring is weak in the shooter but I think there's a few things going on, and they are;

- There are so many skillshots that require a soft plunge that I think a weak shooter was intentional
- When my playfield is half out of the machine the rails would rest on the shooter rod and it may be bent now (spinning it shows a wobble at the end of the shaft)
- I had to replace the shooter rod tip because it was already torn

#9608 8 years ago

My first game over a million

#9610 8 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

B9 I think you have now enough games on this game, also it still in an early code state, how do you like it so far?

At first I wasn't totally excited about the game but with the latest update (v1.01) I've been more drawn into the the gameplay experience.

One interesting thing about the Hobbit is how it attracts friends and family that have no interest in playing the few other games that i have in my collection but will gladly play several games of Hobbit.

I'll see about writing a review soon

#9612 8 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Last video is set to private.

sorry about that

Should be all set now

#9613 8 years ago

one more

#9616 8 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

The last game starting at the 46:30 mark is the best, the rest is typical play from me

I like the video with both the screen and playfield

What angle and flipper strength is your game set at ?

#9617 8 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Spider modes in a row and he wouldn't pop up!

My spider has been giving me guff since the beginning and I've been trying different things to solve the issue but would rather play than work on getting the spider perfect

#9619 8 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

What is interesting to me is my game shows that the coils were changed from the factory and are not the defaults.

That's because you did the delta update and it doesn't update the settings.

I had the same results and moved my main flippers to 22 after the delta upgrade but didn't touch any of the other settings.

I set my playfield to 9 degrees for fast action

#9629 8 years ago

I suspect that in certain situations it may award an add a ball. There have been a few times when I got another ball in play but don't know why. The red target may be the culprit or I could be full of shit.

The only add a ball that I've seen is when I get beast multiball added to Smaug multibal

#9638 8 years ago
Quoted from Excalabur:

The red target on the right outlane is lit as the 3rd or 4th mystery award, and awards the 'meter' minigame to get your ball back, no?

The 'meter' game is availible when the green Gollum light is lit in the outlane, not sure how to light Gollum.

#9690 8 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

I just received my new shielded audio cable and tested it out on my lunch break. It cleared up all of the audio issues I was having. So my stream and upload to YouTube this evening will be so much better.

Looking good

What do you use to capture the video ?

#9713 8 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

Here is my recording setup:

That way more elaborate than me clipping a point and shoot camera to a tripod wedged in the ceiling

The videos are great!

Try getting it in the barrels a few times and one of the drop targets will go up under Smaug, I think this advances something about the barrel or something.

#9716 8 years ago
Quoted from visi0n:

Is your Hobbit's VGA port free, like it is on WOZ or do they have that tied up for the storybook screen / thing?

It's being used for the storybook screen.

3 weeks later
#9732 7 years ago

v1.10 video

#9735 7 years ago

This is interesting

youtube_(resized).jpgyoutube_(resized).jpg

#9738 7 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:That stuff is automated.
I guess 2 Steps from Hell music is clear enough for YouTube to pick it up With the ball getting stuck behind the beast mech I the sound was clear for a long time.
Not sure if you are do anything about that.

Not that I serve up a lot of youtube videos but it was the first time that I saw something like this

I have no issues with it, just thought it was interesting.

#9740 7 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

I'm starting to actually get encouraged after weeks of being down from all the negativity on these boards...

I've been playing the game for almost two months and it's gotten better with each of the two code updates.

There's plenty in there to be excited about!

#9748 7 years ago

Just had a great game

IMG_9634_(resized).JPGIMG_9634_(resized).JPG

#9753 7 years ago

no

Quoted from dgarrett:

What will be great on film is the 5 ball MB combo smaug/beast frenzy: very intense, and for anyone who said the PF was too open, I challenge you to try to shoot the 10+ smaug jackpots with 4 random beasts popping in and out of the PF, and hit Thorin for supers without getting hosed by the goblin or orc.

Challenge accepted!

#9754 7 years ago

Here's a short video with nothing too special in it

#9756 7 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

I haven't played much of the hobbit, but i get the feeling WOZ has the better light show so far?

I've got a WOZ and Hobbit and think the Hobbit lighting is way better than WOZ.

#9758 7 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

What will be great on film is the 5 ball MB combo smaug/beast frenzy: very intense, and for anyone who said the PF was too open, I challenge you to try to shoot the 10+ smaug jackpots with 4 random beasts popping in and out of the PF, and hit Thorin for supers without getting hosed by the goblin or orc.

Challenge complete

Ok, I didn't complete 10+ smaug jackpots but...

1 week later
#9760 7 years ago

Yet another video

#9761 7 years ago

17,000+ Super Spinner Award

#9762 7 years ago

Does anyone still think this is a slow pin ?

#9763 7 years ago

last one for now

#9765 7 years ago

fair enough

It's not as fast as the modern day Stern games, but I do find the Hobbit to be somewhat zippy.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 25.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider b9.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-update-1?tu=b9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.