Topic Stats

• 10,044 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 714 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOB (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
No.gif
IMG_9476_(resized).JPG
47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aobrien5.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1324 5 years ago
Quoted from S37VEN:

Has the habit trail that circled smaug been removed?

sure looks like it

#1330 5 years ago
Quoted from S37VEN:

Now that I found the old CAD drawing, the circular orbit around smaug is definitely gone.

A whole lot of other stuff changed, too. Look at all the center inserts.

Edit: pretty cool to see this kind of development progress.

3 months later
#1515 5 years ago

Spiders.... why did it have to be spiders?

1 week later
#1885 5 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

If they cared about feedback they would allow people to express it freely.

And you have. Several times.

1 week later
#2182 5 years ago

I'll go on record and say it's a hologram projector that will shoot a video of Smaug onto the glass when the arrow is loaded and you'll have to shoot him with the lockdown bar button at the right time to kill him... or he eats you (ball drains down outlane).

#2187 5 years ago

But tell me it wouldn't be cool!

1 month later
#2403 5 years ago

This is obviously setting up to be a long-playing game with so many modes and such. Obviously, closing the right outlane escape will shorten time (at Expo, I was able to bump it into the shooter lane about 6 times in a row on the same ball), but I still have to wonder if we could get a pause game function a'la TZ home rom.

#2516 5 years ago

I guess I'm the only one that like the old VUKs? Looked more finished than wireforms to me.

What exactly is "Book Time"? Perhaps there will be an Easter egg where you can make Levar Burton read you Go the F* to Sleep.

#2530 5 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Wireforms trump the clunky plastics they had pasted over them in the Expo prototype.
Glad they are gone.

I'm pretty sure they were metal with decals on them, not plastic.

#2538 5 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

They could have been made of Platinum, and they'd still be ugly.

lol, right, I'm in the minority there. No problem.

1 month later
#3691 5 years ago
Quoted from GravitaR:

Where did the outlane targets go? Did they get axed or moved as I can't seem to locate them.

Only on the right side, I think? It's still there in the last picture.

3 weeks later
#4191 4 years ago

Looks awesome!

Also looks like an INSANE amount of work to paint all of these by hand. Everyone needs to send Matt some coffee if they want to get production finished quickly!

#4193 4 years ago
Quoted from perryd:

I think we have a choice of red or gold regardless of model that your ordered, correct??

I thought it was "buy and extra head of the other type for $200 and it'll ship with your machine." No?

1 month later
#4704 4 years ago
Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Recorded some video of The Hobbit at the Ohio Show.

Dig the bonus count.

3 weeks later
#5346 4 years ago

Big problem with the one timer from the Windlace will be adjusting the outlane. Want to close or open your outlane? Well, now it won't feed the upper flipper.

#5349 4 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I expect you will be able to adjust the lower post and since the ball hugs the upper metal side rail when the kickback fires it won't be affected by the adjustment.

From the schematic above, it looks like the same left outlane as Woz, which means moving the rail.

#5385 4 years ago
Quoted from Zebulon-74:

VIDEO MODE on The Hobbit?.?.?.
Yes! Could be epic!
or
No! Absolutely not!
Thoughts...

They weren't allowed to touch video assets in any way. What are the chances they could get a dynamic video mode approved?

2 weeks later
#5942 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Sorry your experience wasn't great. Regarding the tilt, JJP games default to PER-GAME tilt warnings, meaning if you use up both warnings on ball 1, you have no more the rest of the game. Of course, # warnings, per-game/per-ball and all that is all configurable. Don't know how exactly it was setup at the show.

I've been wondering if that decision was ever explained anywhere. AFAIK, tilt warnings have always been per ball. Why make it per game (by default)?

#5968 4 years ago

Because, why give people the potential for 3+ extra balls when you could just as easily give them just 1? Helps bring down the gap between great players and casuals, and in theory reduces abuse.

Just curiosity, not criticism.

The idea that it closes the gap between good/casual players is very interesting. I'm a little surprised to see that as part of your thinking as a tournament player who has made his share of double danger saves, no doubt.

#5974 4 years ago

If I just did things that were beneficial to me, operators wouldn't make money and we wouldn't sell as many games. So from that perspective, it makes perfect sense. The rollovers for locks are another gigantic gap-closer in general. Those things typically reward flailers more than accurate shot makers; again, not an accident.
Besides, IMNSHO, having per-game tilt warnings is WAY more strategic than per-ball, because you really REALLY have to think about when it's most advantageous to use them. So, that is also way more interesting to me.

Awesome that so much thought went into something so basic, thanks.

4 months later
#8781 4 years ago

The Smaug clip was awesome too.

7 months later
#9759 3 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

I swear Keith even put in the logic to know when a ramp shot is coming back to the left flipper, to pop the warg so you can't combo with the right orbit

Yes, it's the left inlane switch.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 50.00
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Forever
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 88.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aobrien5.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside