47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Santeh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1831 9 years ago
Quoted from asay:

It's hard to spend $2k+ on a toy when you are $150k in debt from student loans, and can only get a job that pays $30k/year. And that's only if you're lucky enough to actually find employment.

This sentiment I completely understand...

#2036 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

He did mean to say: 'After you have seen The Hobbit in full at the expo you will definitely not even think for a second on canceling your pre order'

Forgive me, yet which expo might that be?

Ta!

#2043 9 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

http://www.pinballexpo.com/ Coming up October 15th thru 19th.
LTG : )™

Excellent! Thank you!

1 month later
#2558 9 years ago

I would still love to see a video of the gameplay from IAAPA. Yet I really like the improvements from what was shown last month.

#2617 9 years ago

Ahhh, video of the game play, please!

#2656 9 years ago
Quoted from thefoxxman:

Anyhow I just wanted to give you my perspective from someone in the field.
Is that not worth something?

Yes, it is, and I thank you for relaying your thoughts! In fact, I hope to hear many more of both perceived positives and negatives of the game.

#2710 9 years ago

Here it is... Jersey Jack has posted a video of the Hobbit game play at IAAPA on their Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/JerseyJackPinball .

It was noted that the software version is 0.13P . The game play on this widebody does not look slow to me and seems fun, yet I am an unabashed fan of drop targets!

As a small side, I do agree with others who hope for another barrel on the third bumper...

#2713 9 years ago
Quoted from jazc4:

Looks fun. This finished product will be a blast to play. I like the pages turning on the LCD book.

I agree and thought it was neat that the pages were giving out instructions to the player as this seems like a unique way to guide someone (like a callout). However, without seeing the machine in person I am concerned that my old eyes will not be able to read what the book is saying, especially while playing. Yet I like what I saw in the video!

#2720 9 years ago

Watching the video again I like how the drop targets cycle as to which one is standing since this adds another element of skill and difficulty. I do agree, though, with the comments that the cycling drops are loud, yet hopefully with the glass on it will not be too bad (plus the game sounds would most likely be muffled a bit with the environment).

Quoted from jazc4:

Don't worry about those old eyes. If it's hard to read, it won't take long for someone to figure a way to fit a bigger screen in it.

Yep, I love to mod my games thus if I need something to help me see the text on the LCD I would be interested.

#2729 9 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

Just released! THLE LCD Book Mod. $199

*Also available for Smaug Special Edition* just add $50

mod.jpg 6 KB

Lol! I am not there yet, but you never know!

#2731 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm soooooo bored with the constant "flow" refrain. I have Star Trek, not a hater of fan layouts or Ritchie games, but for all that is good in pinball let's please not have every game be all about ramps that return to a flipper as fast as possible.
There are some great games with zero ramps and lots of drop targets.

+1.. I like both flow and stop-and-go games, thus I am also much more interested in the fun factor rather than a particular design set.

#2733 9 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

We're more into fun than flow.

Not every game is for every person. I'm sure there are lots of other super-attractive options for you out there. I'm sure you also have some clue that games can be setup shallower/steeper and we have unprecedented control over coil power?
Pinball's supposed to be fun, I guess I don't get the constant worrying.

I agree.

#2755 9 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Also, I do like the idea of a flasher in the barrel area in addition to the 3rd popper barrel. Could you place the flasher behind the poppers (or in the area) and have them flash blue (water) instead of yellow?

If it is not a soldered LED, it might be possible to just swap the yellow flasher for a blue one once you have the game.

#2972 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

You should've taken the TWO minutes to head over to IAAPA yourself...
They can't attend EVERY show. IAAPA is the right show to go to over FPF.

With respect, this would not be correct in my case. My work is very, very busy thus there was no way I could go to IAAPA, but with the weekend I could go one day to Free Play and I did. I have been in on the Hobbit for ~1.5 years and I was VERY disappointed to see that there was no Hobbit at Free Play. This would have been my only chance to play a $7500+ machine before taking possession. With all that I have seen, read about, and heard from those that have played the Hobbit the no show at Free Play ended my current involvement in the Hobbit as I have now cancelled my pre-order. I admit I am very sad to do this as I have been very excited for the pin, but after what I have watched (video), read, and heard from the Chicago Expo and now IAAPA/Free Play I am far too uncomfortable with the state of the pin to proceed.

I do wish JJP all the best and success in the future. I still hope to own a JJP one day.

#2979 9 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

The 800 pound gorilla here is the Expo flop and all the cancelled orders. JJP and The Hobbit HAD to be a IAAPA. Not to mention IAAPA is a much softer venue for pinball. 99.9% of the people who go there haven't played pinball in 20 years if ever - believe me, I've been there. On the other hand FPF is a huge pinball show with all the main players there ready to critique the game. JJP did not want to chance a second flop in a month's time with the game about to release.

And, in my case, the Hobbit no show at Free Play sealed my decision to cancel my pre-order, even though I was quite sad to do so (and I gave both a lot of consideration before doing so and JJP every bit of time I thought reasonable before canceling).

#2982 9 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

I suspect you would have been cancelling your order either way....
For many pre-orderers, the "promise of the unknown" is probably a stronger pull than actually seeing the current state of Smaug. Hence, JJP had little to gain by more public showings and probably more to lose.

I am sorry, but you are incorrect. I really wanted to both play the Hobbit this weekend and come away more comfortable with my order. Yet this naturally could not happen with the Hobbit being a no show at Free Play which sealed my decision to cancel. I simply cannot afford to risk this much money on a possibility, thus I can only go on what I can watch (video), read, and hear from those that have played the game. As I noted, I have been in on this for ~1.5 years and did not come to this decision lightly yet having watched closely the Hobbit's development I felt there was just too much making me uncomfortable with what the final product is going to be. I still wish JJP every bit of success with every machine, including the Hobbit, and I would like to own a JJP machine one day.

Just in case anyone is wondering, I have not placed an order for any other machine in lieu of the Hobbit. As such, my decision to cancel my Hobbit pre-order was done solely on the current merits/concerns I saw in the game itself.

#2984 9 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Sorry to see you go Santech, but realize not everyone has the stomach for a prepaid game. That's right, this is not a mature pinball company that has been operating for decades, but rather one whose first game is primarily made, and whose working to finalize their second game (probably requiring three idle months at the factory). If you are not prepared for some pitfalls along the way, then don't prepay.
Best advice is always to wait until the game comes out and has complete software, THEN decide. It will cost more more but you will KNOW what you are getting. The rest of us that are along for the ride, eagerly watch its development and cheering the wins and loudly critiquing the losses. Good luck with your future searches.

I agree and with my current finances I feel that the Hobbit prepaid issue just will not work for me with this much potential risk in the title (I did acquire a STLE NIB when it was released and love it). However, for those that can comfortably afford the potential risk the Hobbit presents I have zero problem and hope it works out for all. After ~1.5 years in on the Hobbit I am still hoping that the game is great and, if it is, I would still consider getting a HUO down the road.

#2986 9 years ago
Quoted from ozno:

Jersey Jack is hunkered down getting the Hobbit done. Lots to do in the next month. Judging by the progress made last month, I wouldn't bother them.

I really hope the game is a home run and not just for the pinball community but for JJP as well!

#2991 9 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

I am hoping for a grand slam.

Ha! Okay a grand slam, triple double, and a natural hat trick all rolled into one!

#3000 9 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

I'm eager to see what Keith can do with those cool popups and target banks coordinated with video screen, and needing to manage a lockdown bar diverter button. Sounds like fun to me.
Have we seen the magnets at work yet?

I am interested as well. However, I would now like to see the final product and how the code matures first before I might buy.

#3004 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

LOL...of all the interactive "toys" to compare with, really, the ST ship?? It's a drop target and magnet UNDER a the ship. The ship does nothing with the ball. It's a cool "toy", but it's not interactive.

How about Rudy from Fun House? At least with Rudy, the taunting head had direct interaction with the ball...

#3014 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Yeah but Rudy wears make up. I couldn't care less if Smaug eats the balls or ever touches it. Its still a cool premise and the facts the he looks around and talks to you is enough for me. That not going to make or break this game. JP really isn't all that fun and Funhouse is a great pin but not very deep. Lets just wait now and see how the final product comes together. If I get it home and dislike it then I'll sell it, take the loss and move on, its pinball, its supposed to be fun. Backing out because Smaug doesn't interact with the ball to me is foolish.

Thanks, but I did not back out because of Smaug as I was (and am) fairly okay with what it was. I was only using Rudy as a side for the Star Trek Vengeance reference.

#3015 9 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Turns out the MMr people had three machines at IAAPA and did not bother to come to FPF either. I was talking to Marco tonight and we were both scratching our heads why they did not bring games either. Oh well...

This is a good point and one I had not considered. Has Planetary had an exhibit at the Southern Pinball Festival prior to this year?

#3018 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Sorry, that wasn't directed at you or anyone in general, except the Rudy wears make up and that was a joke. I've seen many people state the toy was disappointing to the degree they cancelled and that's ok, just to me seems strange as that means that was the main purchase point for them. Anyway don't care really.

No worries at all... Overall I do feel that toys in pinball machines are great, but game play is most important and at this point I am too concerned in this area for the Hobbit.

#3019 9 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

No, but they also were not at IAAPA previously as far as I know.

That is interesting and a little concerning as it is the same question presented to JJP; why not attend the SPF/FPF as this is a show directed at the pinball and arcade community?

#3020 9 years ago

Double post.. Sorry!

#3043 9 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

I don't get all of this. Smaug will talk, turn his head, has drop targets (plural!!!) before him , an upkicker and I think 3 diverters and 1 or 2 magnets to change the course of the ball and I saw 2 cool flashers, special eyes and teeth will be added. He can lock balls and kick them out to you in different ways.
Isn't that enough???? One of the best games out there, Spider Man, what are the toys doing in there?
They make a good show, a very good show. And I see already now what show Smaug will do in this game, when Keith and David bring him to life.
Smaug is just not implemented in the code to his full potential!!!! That's all for now. But is here anybody on pinside, fan or hater, that has any doubts Keith will not squeeze every little fun out of this part of the game he can?
Hell, I KNOW for sure this game will be great from what little I yet saw. And Smaug as he is now has the potential to become one of the best toys in pinball.

I hope you are right...

#3049 9 years ago
Quoted from jazc4:

I will be shocked if this game isn't awesome when it is finished. The key word here is "finished". I'll keep expectation in check until then.

+1, hence why I elected to go the HUO route. Yet if I had the funds to take a bigger risk, I would still be in on the Hobbit.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 22.50
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 25.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Santeh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-update-1?tu=Santeh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.