47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BC_Gambit.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4645 9 years ago

FWIW I think it is important to see if a business is keeping its word. Repeatedly this has not been the case with JJP.

It might be semantics, but when the Dec. shipping date magically was delayed just a few days prior to the actual date (as if they did not know they were behind schedule then...), then in Jan. JJ said something to the effect of weeks, not months if I recall correctly. Now its months...

Do you see a pattern? I can.

They might ship the best game on earth eventually, but it sure as shoot won't be on the date they say they will.

2 weeks later
#5011 9 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Yeah really hoping it hits production before July

So, "only" one year late. That should be JJP's next t-shirt for giving away at shows.

"We did it... and only 1 year behind schedule!!!".

One handed clap... especially as this seems to be the current "best case" scenario.

Oh, they need parts! Who could have known parts would be needed for a game! Maybe by game three they will have mastered knowing that parts need to be ordered in advance.

#5017 9 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I think this pin would have aready been in production if Jack did not have to go and change a lot of things due to everyone bitching about changes we all wanted. Come on. What do changes do? They slow things down but for a good reason. A BETTER PIN!!! It's coming and I think a lot of us will have it this year. In the mean time chill out.

Double edged sword. It would be correct to say "just make it not suck the first time".

It is also correct to go back and fix it rather than blindly going forward with a flawed design.

#5026 9 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

If you can do better lets see it..

Give me a six pack of concussions, 3+ years and around 13 million dollars in preorder money and I'll ship you a buggy code incomplete mess .

And don't hold me to any of those, you know, 'cause making pinball is "hard"

Jack is a braver business person than I am, but I at least have the sense to not run my mouth again and again just to be proven wrong. I'm glad he's out there toiling away making new games. But if the whole world ran on big promisers, exceptionally late deliverers the world would NOT be a better place.

#5074 9 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

So does this mean Pats machine will be $9000 right out the gate? Jack if you are reading this $9k for Pats game and I'm OUT!

But by the time it is actually releasted in 2018(ish) the MSRP will have drifted up to 12K, making all those who locked in at "only" 9K think they have a bargain! (see the several previous posts on this page alone for this effect at work...).

#5180 9 years ago

LOTR is a proven candidate for "one of the best pins ever made". Sure not everybody loves it, but most people who have played it at least respect it.

TH is not a shoe in for being a better ovall game. It COULD be, but honestly the odds are stacked against it.

It will be new and shiny, but 10 years on will it be regarded as the overall better pinball experience? I'll have to fuel up my Mr. Fusion to find out...

#5183 9 years ago
Quoted from jazc4:

I don't see it as which is better. I think they will compliment each other and go side by side well. I look forward to having a party and seeing which gets more play and attention from non-pinheads.

Answer will be The Hobbit, all day every day unless it is a total clunkfest dog. New and shiny will win. If you are an actual player and pinball enthusiast then it is definitely more up in the air.

I was going to say what might win in a casual battle between an EM and LoTR should be equally obvious... but I can see quite a few EM's winning that battle with easy to understand rules and not taking an hour between turns

1 week later
#5637 9 years ago
Quoted from Euchrid:

Everybody keeps saying that. But, I'm NOT fine with it. When I put the money down, it was supposed to be done summer 2014. Here we are almost a year later. Sure, they lost time redoing stuff, but that was as a result of what they showed in October 2014 - 3 months or so after it should have already been done according to original projections. If they had been on track we would have seen the game in March 2014 and made the same recommendations that we did, and then the game should have been delayed to say December 2014.
I've been a supporter and pre-orderer, but this is not acceptable. Blah, blah, blah, take as long as you want if you're improving it, blah, blah, blah. No, bull crap. This is no longer your first game. Hire more people or whatever you need to do to get it done relatively on time, plan ahead better. Small delays are fine, but 12 months, really (and we are probably still 3 or more months out from getting anything)? This may seem cliche, but I'm gonna die some day - how much of that limited time I've got do I want to spend waiting to receive the things I enjoy instead of actually using them? I could have spent my time/money buying and playing other things. But no, I've wasted a year of pinball time/money on broken promises waiting for a game that is a year old and we still haven't been shown any pics of JJPs ability to start production any time soon. We saw line pics and cab pics and part pics for WOZ. Why not TH? The reasonable takeaway from that is that they can't show us those pics because they aren't even there yet.
It's frustrating and I'm sick of hearing folks say, "take your time, JJP." Screw that, I'm getting older by the day. My kids are growing up, I should have been playing this game with my son six months ago! I've lost that time, I can't get it back. JJP, you represented TH would ship in the summer of 2014 - get the damn game to me. Now.

Stop making sense! You are supposed to be hyped about preordering JJP game #3 before game 2 ships... you might get scooped up and sent to the JJP re-education center to correct your thinking on this.

#5657 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

Okay then, from Jack on the JJP forum:
There are really no concerns here - what we are doing is different than with WOZ -
1- We are actually verifying with each Vendor that they can make First Article Parts - that is a sample of the actual part that we need that matches a PO and a latest revision drawing. Now some of the Vendors have issues with this as they just want to "Run" 1000+ of something - when some of them did that with WOZ - the parts were wrong, costing us tens of thousands of dollars and many weeks of delay and rework….not doing it this time - we are taking longer to measure three times and cut once.
2- Parts are arriving daily and some are being rejected for QC issues even though they were made "correctly"
3- The code on Hobbit will probably be 80%+ when games ship - when games ship - when all the parts are here and we can build games - that's when they ship.
4- A big JJP supporter and someone who waited 3 years for a WOZ, Eddy Cue (Google him) and is on the Hobbit list called me a few weeks ago…..Eddy was marveling at the WOZ and what we accomplished….he told me…"Jack…it's OK to wait for Great Things" - he would know.
It's not WOZ - years and hope to see you at Allentown with a near-Production Hobbit…….Thanks, Jack

Great post; it would help to know when it was posted though. In the last week I hope... not Dec. 2014....

#5661 9 years ago
Quoted from Bostonbuzz:

Posted a little over an hour ago today...4/24/15.

Thank you. Relevant and helpful to know considering the game's timelines to date.

#5672 9 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

As far back as I can remember, TH was announced as beginning production when the 3rd movie was released, which it was in December 2014 (moved back from July). Barely 4 months ago. A year late? That is hardly accurate. Check your facts before you call other people on calling you childish.

I think most reasonable people would consider TH to be a year or so late at this time (or when it optimistically may start shipping); sold and supposted to ship (originally) in summer-ish of 2014. Looking outside my window today it appears to be summer-ish of 2015.

I guess I can front run this logic and start arguing that even if the hobbit ends up shipping in Oct. 2015, it actually is a year early because it really should have started shipping in late 2016 based on .... something. (past experiences)?

#5706 9 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Well, maybe the "unless there are 2 in the bag" is meant to suggest he won't do the SW pin until AFTER episode 8 is released waiting on episode 9. Frankly that's about how long it wold take them to get to JJP#4 or 5 anyways....

OR maybe they have the licence to do the pin for just the next movie, and plan on releasing next year-ish? Who knows... the timing seems screwed up for that (i.e. if that is the plan it would make more sense for it to be JJP3...).

But it is fun to even be able to speculate on that. I think we all know what a Stern SWLE would look like at this point. It would probably not be bad, but likely not be something to get crazy excited about either at what will probably be a 10K price point by the end of the year...

#5711 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Better that Stern does the first film, if JJP is doing well and making pins after the next 2 films years from now then JJP for the trilogy but the ultimate for me would JJP doing the classic Trilogy that most of us grew up on.

That could be a thing; who knows, a surprise JJP 4 Original Trilogy SW pin timed for release-ish near the start of the next trilogy. Would be relevant on location for years, much longer than The Hobbit IMO.

Now that I type that out, I would much rather be my company on this idea rather than Lawlor's unlicenced table, but its not my company to bet (IF I was in charge at JJP, instead of WoZ you would have got a marginally updated MM clone or licenced sequel... low risk but low impact in terms of dreams... ).

1 month later
#6426 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Thanks, but as you probably know, I don't preorder pins, so there's no chance of that happening, is there?

Based on WoZ standard line jumping, why wouldn't you think if you place fresh order "near the start of production" you won't be getting your game near the front of the line?

#6459 8 years ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

One of the few seminars that I've attended where I wasn't kind of waiting for it too end, and a big part of the reason was Dave Thiels presentation, very interesting and informative. I've always thought that sound was absolutely crucial to a games success, yet some companies have continuously downplayed it's importance

Agreed. Most exciting thing about The Hobbit to me is the current development team.

Great sound is a must IMO for great games. IM is a good game, Thiel's sound package elevates it to greatness. Tron would not be half as hyped as it is without Thiel's work on sound.

Even Star Trek's relentless yelling and bleeps, boops and bongs is great for what it is (immersive, fits the theme well, and changes appropriately as the game state changes).

1 month later
#7380 8 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

And.....reel it back in on topic folks....Hobbit info. Or don't post.

Confirmed Hobbit Shipping date:

Not to be snarky, but the current Hobbit info is "people have hundreds of thousands down but don't have any real idea when/if games will be shipped".

Talking about that for page after page seems a lot more depressing than Heighway JJP banter.

If I get a thread eject over this, then sad day for me, but them's the facts as far as I know. If you take the view to "just post positive stuff that is on topic" then may as well just lock this thread until we get a firm shipping date.

Just one pinsider's opinion, I could be wrong

2 weeks later
#7509 8 years ago
Quoted from GravitaR:

... with famed pinball designer Pat Lawlor on a new, original-game to be launched in the spring of 2016."
YES!! YES!! YES!!

I almost feel like I am being trolled.

Why on EARTH would you believe that JJP's "spring of 2016" release for Pat's game is accurate.

Quintuple face palm

#7512 8 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Launched doesn't mean finished or shipping... Just announced.
The big thing here is jack taking in another group of investors. It must be getting crowded at the head of the table...

Agree to disagree. I could easily be wrong, but here is one definition:
http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/product-launch.html

By consumers having access, I mean this to be able to buy it. This is different from a product announcement

Picky stuff, but when I hear people expecting a launch, I want he rocket ship to be blasting off

1 week later
#7708 8 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Do you mean to say it sucks, because that song and that band suck. JMO

You know what opinions are like? Remember how $T was the best game ever? Yeah, hobbit update stuff.

#7732 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

production has been delayed until October .

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Maybe ~ 1.5 years behind is the new "on schedule". Seriously, just alarmingly terrible. Stern's rerun of LOTR if it happens will be about as tied to the release of the movies as the hobbit will be. Contractually obligated my ass.

This thread has run its course. The only thing left is to post sexy pics of The Hoff.

2 weeks later
#8192 8 years ago

Neat stuff. And hearing about possible half-truths is hardly a shock at this stage.

#8207 8 years ago
Quoted from iamabearsfan:

This probably is their "plan". Plans have multiple paths based on facts.

They have a plan? That genuinely seems like news. And "facts", that's just so rich at this point...

#8239 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Maybe 750 to 1000? Less than the LE for sure.

Except for a distributor like say, oh, ... pinballsales.com (owned primarily/wholly by Jack?) could have put in an order for an arbitrarily large order of Smaug Editions, and can decide how many JJP fills.

Is that number 10K, 5K , ? Who knows. I am not aware of Jack specifically saying/promising he did not to this, so doing so would match the words of his agreement (e.g. orders before XX date can be Smaug LE's...).

Considering the WoZ LE variants, who would be surprised by this? I don't know for sure and am open to clarification by JJP/pinballsales.com, but they certainly don't owe a clarification. This should have been a known possibility from day 1 of the Smaug announcement.

#8246 8 years ago
Quoted from stretch2:

Pinballsales.com is not owned by JJP.
Where do you get these ideas from ?

Unless I have been living in crazy town, aren't both more or less owned by Jack (I have no idea about minority owners, if things have changed etc...).

But before there was Jersey Jack, there was "Jack from pinball sales.com". Jack played it ("it" being whatever the most recent Stern was at the time), and he liked it!

#8262 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

Everything is legit, not everything is a conspiracy.
570-357-0042

EVERYTHING is legit

Well, I'm glad that's settled. Act fast or you might miss out on a Smaug SE / LE / whatever... SEND MONEY NOW TO GUARANTEE A SPOT. THESE WON'T LAST FOREVER AT THESE PRICES.

BUY BUY BUY.

#8264 8 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

What are the prices?
Who typically has the best pricing on JJP? I think I already know who doesn't.

Oh dear. I was being sarcastic

But if you want to send $50,000 (USD) my way, i can almost guarantee you a game at some time between now and when the universe ends (with a bunch of caveats and legal disclaimers to cover my butt).

#8275 8 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Can I get by without having to sign an NDA?

No. You have to sign a NDA to see the NDA you get to sign to get the deposit on the possible game that I may or may not hold for you if/when it gets produced (or not).

#8347 8 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

feel of the WOZ - it's like no other. I'm sure

The game is at my beach house which is rented out 4 months of the year. I get the house back next week and WOZ is all mine again (yippee). I wanted the pin to be a draw for renters and I just plain wanted to introduce others to pins as they have always been a part of my life.
Playing WOZ exclusively for months then trying an older generation game nearby (Flippers, Grandy,NC.) you really get an appreciation of the brick shithouse feel of WOZ and TH should be the same. I'm glad we have this option - Jack really came through on the quality feel of his games.
I have a later game, no light board issues. I've had loosening screws and missing screws which wasn't too bad. A flipper coil wire got in the way of the plunger and shorted out the game which was a major problem and could have been avoided using an extra pull tie. Two lit winkies have been broken (not a JJP item). A bad USB. Chipping paint around the Winkie but I can handle that. A bad monitor driver board. And now a ball won't enter the trough according to the person on the phone.
All this has been made better by the excellent service staff which I rate 100%. They have been so nice to walk me through the repair phase.
I plan to keep the WOZ - it really is a special machine. But I might need a back up MB or MMR..Hey maybe that's not too bad after all.

I think you may have accidentally added the word brick to your post; it is odd you praise a game for being so solid and awesomely built... then go on to list a slew of problems you have had. I can understand praising the support that have helped you solve the issues, but the build quality?

#8418 8 years ago
Quoted from ls1chris:

nice to finally get concrete updates in this thread instead of all the bashing and bibble babble speculation usually found here.

Agreed. Opening the hobbit update thread and finding hobbit updates was surreal a few days ago, glad to see it continuing!

4 months later
#9332 8 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

I talked to Jen today and good news. Mine is coming in March.

Obligatory "March of what year?" question. Man have they blown their credibility. I am sick and sore, and probably should try to be more positive but If I had a nickel for every time I have seen one of these posts (which were ridiculously off the mark), I would have a Hobbit myself .

Good luck, hopefully this is the time the broken record stops skipping and can continue with the rest of the song...

#9348 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

After a pattern starts developing I just add them to the good old ignore list

So... do you consider what seems like half a decade of missed shipment dates (WOZ, then hobbit) a "pattern"? You must have JJP on "ignore" I guess.

Quoted from iamabearsfan:

One thing is clear 'JJP = Kiss Ass Product'.......it is the journey that can be challenging

I can agree with this to a point. They are pushing things, and hopefully they ship soon. But it is clear to me their internal development structure seems broken. They either have learned every hard lesson twice by now, or game three till be JJP's end (if they get that far). That is not wishing for failure, that is just looking at reality.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 25.50
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BC_Gambit.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-update-1?tu=BC_Gambit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.