Topic Stats

• 10,044 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 714 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOB (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
No.gif
IMG_9476_(resized).JPG
47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 99 of 201.
#4901 5 years ago

Some pics of the Hobbit. Played many games- and enjoyed everyone-even played against Jack and Butch . The shots are fun, and the LCD graphics are incredable. I have one on order, and am very happy with the way it's turned out. image.jpg

Having trouble with the vids-I'll add them later. I've got the view of the game from the wrong end on vid

#4902 5 years ago

I played it and loved it! I'm a day one order and am eager to take delivery. On my first game I was able to lock three balls and get Smaug Multiball. It was amazing! Butch Peel said to me that if I like it now just wait until I see it with the programming more complete. There will be an RGB LED on the lockdown bar fire button. Depending on what color it is, the function of the button will vary. Cool! I thought the mouth and teeth of Smaug were very well done and Smaug's speech was perfectly synced with the mouth movement. The eye LEDs were not yet installed. Jack told me the game has been on the road constantly throughout the U.S. and Europe and hasn't made it back to the barn for an update in a while. He hinted that it will ship with code that is far advanced from what WOZ shipped with. The lighting was very impressive yet different from the style of WOZ. owning both JJP games will not seem the least bit redundant.

#4903 5 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

Speaking of the drop targets. To anyone who has seen the prototype recently, Have they quieted them down at all?

I played quite a few games on the Hobbit at the Ohio show recently. You do hear a quick burst of noise from the drop targets when they reset at the beginning of each player, but that sound didn't disturb me at all. Quite frankly I don't recall the targets being especially noisy during gameplay, which is probably partly due to things happening in the game and the excellent game sound going on during play.

#4905 5 years ago

Had fun playing hobbit over the weekend in Texas the few times I did. Shortest line all weekend was about 30 min.

Still needs a lot of code work done but I did like it better than WOZ

#4906 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Sound
------
Will there be any ‘special pinball’ call outs from actors in the movie? If so, who?
Will the game have sound a likes for the call outs? If so, who?
Will the game have music made specifically for the pinball?

If I recall from earlier in the thread, the answer to this is no. Don't really feel like going back to look for it though. No custom call outs, no sound alikes.

Not sure on music, but I'de wager not also.

That was also probably almost a year ago at this point, so who knows.

#4907 5 years ago

As to drop target noise on TH, admittedly, the TPF is a high background noise environment. But I did not find them to be loud at all. The sound was very good and the Smaug callouts were great. I also like that the LCD did an excellent job of directing the player what to do next. The use of animated parchment scrolls that unfurl and tell you what to do is very clever and fits right in with the look and feel of the game.

Also, the smaller LCD was clever and takes you through the pages of a book and is much more useful than WOZ's crystal ball video chip. The four subterranean heads that pop up make a big difference in your shooting lanes, are timed and will be a missed scoring opportunity if not hit. They are triggered by rollover switches lower on the playfield. This was a lot of fun, although there may be other ways they are triggered too.

One of the first things that struck me about the game was that the playfield looks even better in person than the images I have seen online. It is much more colorful, but not the explosion of primary colors that WOZ is. Rather, the mood and look of the movie are carried over to the playfield without it being dark.

I asked if the LCD was improved but was told it is the same as WOZ. Because the source material is HD, the film clips jump out at you like you were watching a BluRay at home. A whole different style of lighting than WOZ and the use of several flashers makes TH beautiful in its own right without being derivative. The lines all weekend long show the interest this game enjoys, and talking with others who played the game, it was very well received.

#4908 5 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

As to drop target noise on TH, admittedly, the TPF is a high background noise environment. But I did not find them to be loud at all. The sound was very good and the Smaug callouts were great. I also like that the LCD did an excellent job of directing the player what to next. The use of animated parchment scrolls that unfurl and tell you what to do is very clever and fits right in with the look and feel of the game.
Also, the smaller LCD was clever and takes you through the pages of a book and is much more useful than WOZ's crystal ball video chip. The four subterranean heads that pop up make a big difference in your shooting lanes, are timed and will be a missed scoring opportunity if not hit. They are triggered by rollover switches lower on the playfield. This was a lot of fun, although there may be other ways they are triggered too.
One of the first things that struck me about the game was that the playfield looks even better in person than the images I have seen online. It is much more colorful, but not the explosion of primary colors that WOZ is. Rather, the mood and look of the movie are carried over to the playfield without it being dark.
I asked if the LCD was improved but was told it is the same as WOZ. Because the source material is HD, the film clips jump out at you like you were watching a BluRay at home. A whole different style of lighting than WOZ and the use of several flashers makes TH beautiful in its own right without being derivative. The lines all weekend long show the interest this game enjoys, and talking with others who played the game, it was very well received.

Very well written. Thanks for your review of the game. Looking forward to playing it May 1st.

#4909 5 years ago

There was a mode implemented where the spider / lower left monster was raised for bashing. After that you had to shoot some dwarf targets. There was another mode where every other drop target was raised and had to be knocked down. And a couple others that I don't recall. Didn't really notice the multiball rules too much either. Shooting various shots selects (sets of?) modes and then shooting the right ramp starts them. I think all the dynamic elements on the playfield in combination with the modes give it a lot more variety than there might seem to be at first glance.

I thought it shot well. It was set up a little slow but that's easy to change I'm sure.

It looks even better the WOZ, especially the LCD appearance and animations are much improved IMO.

I am really looking forward to it, hopefully someone in Austin puts one on location.

#4910 5 years ago

I'm not a fan of JJP shenanigans...

But I'm watching you Hobbit, oh yes I'm watching you.

Love the theme. Can't wait to play one & see how it ends up.

#4911 5 years ago

Hey Wiz just do it, who doesn't have any shenanigans now a days in this industry? Maybe you will put up one of your current tittles in your line up .... I'm interested, I don't buy anything from a smoke free non Padron environment

#4912 5 years ago

Does the TPF machine have a playfield protector and if so, how did it look? I put in an order with one from Jen for my home use machine, but given the feedback from the Ohio demo, I'm considering cancelling it.

#4913 5 years ago
Quoted from kidvid:

Does the TPF machine have a playfield protector and if so, how did it look? I put in an order with one from Jen for my home use machine, but given the feedback from the Ohio demo, I'm considering cancelling it.

Yes it looked like it did. It looked a little cloudy to me. I could see a couple of bubbles in the middle it looked like. You got to figure how many games has been put on this machine. I think this is the same machine that has been at all the shows. IMO I don't think a huo game really needs this protector, but then again you could always take it off if you didn't like it after a year or two and you would have a great looking playfield! That would take some time to take everything off to get it off though.

#4914 5 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Sadly, slow. Much slower than I expected. Maybe the flipper power was a bit low.
Good first impression overall though. The game will do well on location.

I concur. I wanted to really like the game. It is definitely pretty. However it was painfully slow. No zip or excitement in the game at all. The shots seemed to take forever and there was not much flow.

Maybe the flippers were weak or they didn't have it tilted up as high as it should have been.

I will play wait and see and hopefully it comes out great. The code was still prototype on the TPF machine

#4915 5 years ago
Quoted from GreyhoundAggie:

I concur. I wanted to really like the game. It is definitely pretty. However it was painfully slow. No zip or excitement in the game at all. The shots seemed to take forever and there was not much flow.
Maybe the flippers were weak or they didn't have it tilted up as high as it should have been.
I will play wait and see and hopefully it comes out great. The code was still prototype on the TPF machine

Always heard the same thing about WOZ at shows...

#4916 5 years ago

I rememmber at Automated the flow was really good. It was pretty fast moving. But then The owner at automated had mentioned that he had set the flippers a little higher than factory settings. Jack stated " you buy it you can set it how ever you want " He also said the higher you set it the more you are going to bash the hell out of the machine. So I took that as a warning. How ever, at the settings that I played at, I thought the machine played very well.

#4917 5 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Hey Wiz just do it, who doesn't have any shenanigans now a days in this industry? Maybe you will put up one of your current tittles in your line up .... I'm interested, I don't buy anything from a smoke free non Padron environment

Had a Padron 3000 Maduro today!

But I smoke in the garage, patio & porch so my games are still smoke free sir

I just cannot trade real life complete masterpiece from my collection for a non real life incomplete game with no legit ETA.

Something tells me a Hobbit would be sexy next to a Lebowski & whatever the next Spooky title is. Can't wait until 2016 to see how it pans out.

#4918 5 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Always heard the same thing about WOZ at shows...

Why does JJP insist on setting up their pins at shows with no pitch?

Nate at Coast 2 Coast pinball mentions in it in his podcast re the way Hobbit was set up too shallow at TPF:

http://www.podcastgarden.com/episode/episode-149-texas-pinball-festival-2015-part-1_43660

#4919 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinister:

I rememmber at Automated the flow was really good. It was pretty fast moving. But then The owner at automated had mentioned that he had set the flippers a little higher than factory settings. Jack stated " you buy it you can set it how ever you want " He also said the higher you set it the more you are going to bash the hell out of the machine. So I took that as a warning. How ever, at the settings that I played at, I thought the machine played very well.

Yes I told Jack the flippers needed to be bumped up. So we opened the coin door and bumped them up. I am personally going to make sure the hobbits at Pintastic are well pitched and tuned in.

#4920 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Why does JJP insist on setting up their pins at shows with no pitch?
Nate at Coast 2 Coast pinball mentions in it in his podcast re the way Hobbit was set up too shallow at TPF:
http://www.podcastgarden.com/episode/episode-149-texas-pinball-festival-2015-part-1_43660

Lower pitch and less coil power means less wear on a machine.

It's not using as much energy, things won't be as hot, things aren't happening as frequently, ball isn't tearing into things at full speed, etc.

I'm just guessing that's the reason, but it follows a logical train of thought. I'm sure games at shows get put through the ringer. All eyes are on them as new developers, so not breaking down probably trumps properly leveling the machine and increasing your risk of downtime from a PR standpoint.

#4921 5 years ago
Quoted from Jakenjoi:

Lower pitch and less coil power means less wear on a machine.
It's not using as much energy, things won't be as hot, things aren't happening as frequently, ball isn't tearing into things at full speed, etc.
I'm just guessing that's the reason, but it follows a logical train of thought. I'm sure games at shows get put through the ringer. All eyes are on them as new developers, so not breaking down probably trumps properly leveling the machine and increasing your risk of downtime from a PR standpoint.

But it seems to completely defeat the purpose: showing off game play.

Result: complaints about the pin playing like crap because it's floaty.

Set it up right so people can get a more accurate feel for how it plays.

#4922 5 years ago

MMr at Expo were leveled like shit too. Felt like 4°, you could see like an inch of thread on the front leg levelers. Rick said something to me about all the people complaining and I just don't get why no one took the 5 minutes tops to go over there and level them properly.

If your game can't take a couple days of play at normal pitch then you have no business trying to sell it, come on.

All I know is if I was selling a game I'd damn well make sure it was leveled and pitched perfectly, with testing, before the show floor opened.

#4923 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

MMr at Expo were leveled like shit too. Felt like 4°

They were set at 6 1/2 when set up. And level.

No idea if someone changed them or they settled into the rug.

I was there. I wish you would have said something so I could have checked them.

LTG : )

#4924 5 years ago

Besides kick ass code, the only thing Hobbit needs now is a topper!

#4925 5 years ago

What else is new, I remember back in the arcade days pins were always set up like shit. Why? Also something was always broken and then you would go back a week later and it was still broken. I really appreciate being able to play in a nice dark room with good volume and set up to my liking while drinking a cold beer and enjoying other spirits with buddies in the combfort of my own home. Arcades and pool halls, bowling alley's etc. are definetly a thing of the past for me. RobT is quite right in saying at these shows with the potential to sell machines it should be set up to perfectly for maxium speed and flow.

#4926 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

RobT is quite right in saying at these shows with the potential to sell machines it should be set up to perfectly for maxium speed and flow.

One reason may be that they don't want the game to be too difficult for inexperienced players. I would set it up fast but put a long ball save on it so that people got at least a little time to play after the long wait in line.

#4927 5 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Besides kick ass code, the only thing Hobbit needs now is a topper!

...and a place for Bilbo to live since his house at Bag End was knocked down.

#4928 5 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

One reason may be that they don't want the game to be too difficult for inexperienced players. I would set it up fast but put a long ball save on it so that people got at least a little time to play after the long wait in line.

That third flipper is going to rip that upper left ramp apart if it is set too high...still no idea why it's designed that way...

Hopefully the flippers can all be set individually...

#4929 5 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

That third flipper is going to rip that upper left ramp apart if it is set too high...still no idea why it's designed that way...

Would have a PF protector make any difference here?

#4930 5 years ago
Quoted from kidvid:

Would have a PF protector make any difference here?

Not for the ramps. They are not protected by the pf protector

#4931 5 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

One thing I find interesting is that there's been a lot of criticism about that flipper over the months (years) since we first saw the design and never a comment I've seen from the JJP team. They have jumped in and addressed many of the direct questions/criticisms about other features, but I've never seen this one ever touched by anyone. I would have expected at least some acknowledgement. "We've spent X time shooting for the ramps with this flipper and no signs of damage." or "Don't worry, we'll have some surprises in the rules that take full advantage of this flipper." Never been anything like this that I've seen.

Normally I would defer to the designers and figure they know better than us, so trust their judgement. However in this case, TH has been through so many changes because the original design didn't work, including pulling what used to be a fourth flipper. If the original designer misjudged the fourth flipper, maybe he misjudged the third one too. Given how many other things the community got "righter" than the original design, I fear this extra flipper may be another one of those things.

I'm in on TH and eager to get the final product, however, I fear this may come complete with some of the missteps still intact.

#4932 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Man I know you are telling you the truth but they were not setup correctly. Not even remotely.

#4933 5 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

One thing I find interesting is that there's been a lot of criticism about that flipper over the months (years) since we first saw the design and never a comment I've seen from the JJP team. They have jumped in and addressed many of the direct questions/criticisms about other features, but I've never seen this one ever touched by anyone. I would have expected at least some acknowledgement. "We've spent X time shooting for the ramps with this flipper and no signs of damage." or "Don't worry, we'll have some surprises in the rules that take full advantage of this flipper." Never been anything like this that I've seen.
Normally I would defer to the designers and figure they know better than us, so trust their judgement. However in this case, TH has been through so many changes because the original design didn't work, including pulling what used to be a fourth flipper. If the original designer misjudged the fourth flipper, maybe he misjudged the third one too. Given how many other things the community got "righter" than the original design, I fear this extra flipper may be another one of those things.
I'm in on TH and eager to get the final product, however, I fear this may come complete with some of the missteps still intact.

Third flipper is most probably used for a combo shot that ends in either hitting the (drop)targets or VUK in front of Smaug. I do not think it is designed for hitting the left ramp

#4934 5 years ago

The 3rd flipper should be removed period. It has no purpose whatsoever.

#4935 5 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Keith has said there's rules for it...for example, coming from pops to UR flipper to captive ball lights the kickback. There will be some cool rules for it, although it is strange there isn't a shot that can only be hit with it.

#4936 5 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Keith has said there's rules for it...for example, coming from pops to UR flipper to captive ball lights the kickback. There will be some cool rules for it, although it is strange there isn't a shot that can only be hit with it.

They are forced to make some kind of rule for it otherwise I personally would disable it if I had the choice.

#4937 5 years ago

I doubt they designed the third flipper originally to light the kickback!

#4938 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

Third flipper is most probably used for a combo shot that ends in either hitting the (drop)targets or VUK in front of Smaug. I do not think it is designed for hitting the left ramp

I'm not saying it was designed for hitting the ramp, but tons of people have said how shots from that flipper are going to beat up the ramp entrance. I would have thought they would either reinforce the entrance to make this a non-issue, or tell people they've put enough test-play time on the layout that it doesn't need addressing. I don't think it should be an issue in home use, but there have been enough negative comments that if it were me, I would have addressed it.

Now, it having nothing unique or interesting to shoot at, that is another issue all together.

#4939 5 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

The 3rd flipper should be removed period. It has no purpose whatsoever.

Oh, but it does...

How else do you have one shot to kill Smaug with the windlance?

#4940 5 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

I'm not saying it was designed for hitting the ramp, but tons of people have said how shots from that flipper are going to beat up the ramp entrance. I would have thought they would either reinforce the entrance to make this a non-issue, or tell people they've put enough test-play time on the layout that it doesn't need addressing. I don't think it should be an issue in home use, but there have been enough negative comments that if it were me, I would have addressed it.
Now, it having nothing unique or interesting to shoot at, that is another issue all together.

Agreed. But there are a lot of pins made with a third flipper that can also hit the area around the target. That is pinball.

#4941 5 years ago

When the two monsters on the left are raised, I think you can only directly shoot the topmost dwarf targets in the left and top banks from the upper flipper, so perhaps there could be a mode or two making use of that fact. Could be themed as a rescue a dwarf round or something. There is plenty of stuff for the flipper to do if the software makes it worthwhile or necessary.

Quoted from Sammy31:

They can be, similar to WOZ I guess. I saw them adjust it a bit at one point during TPF. There were separate settings for each flipper.

#4942 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

Agreed. But there are a lot of pins made with a third flipper that can also hit the area around the target. That is pinball.

I don't think I ever see an extra flipper as a bad thing, even if it doesn't have any unique shots, it allows you to hit the shots from a different (sometimes safer) angle.

Rules can certainly make it play a bigger role in the game as well. I wonder if they will use the pop-ups to block shots from the lower flippers so that they can only be made by the upper flipper. Clearly the windlance will serve the ball up to the upper flipper for a shot a Smaug.

We really don't know how much value the third flipper will add to the game at this point, or whether or not it will damage the ramp, but since the team at JJP is made up of some of the best pinball designers (who also appear to listen to what people say in these forums), I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and withhold judgement until the game is out.

#4943 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

When they were 6 ½ were the front leg levelers all the way down, or close to it? Because there was a huge amount of thread showing when I saw them. This was Saturday evening.

And I talked to Rick right there, he knew people weren't happy with the slope. That's all I can say though.

I'm not trying to sidetrack onto MMr, just seems like shallow prototype games are a general trend at shows, for whatever reason.

#4944 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

And I talked to Rick right there, he knew people weren't happy with the slope. That's all I can say though.

I'm sorry. I thought you meant TPF. Rick wasn't at TPF.

Disclaimer : sorry for this in hobbit thread.

#4945 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'm sorry. I thought you meant TPF. Rick wasn't at TPF.
Disclaimer : sorry for this in hobbit thread.

Oh, yeah, no, this was Chicago Expo 2014.

Thanks for making sure the games were leveled at TPF though! Even though I wasn't there I know people appreciated it.

#4946 5 years ago

The Hobbit was setup a little flat at TPF but still played very nicely. I thought the artwork looked amazing and overall I was really happy with were the game was at. I think it's going to end up being a really solid game. I did not care for how the play field protector looked and I did not like the super high gloss decals. But both of those things are optional add ons so for once I get to keep some money.

I agree that it would benefit the companies to set the games up perfect. I thought The Hobbit played well enough to get a good impression and opinion on the game though. MMr was setup nice and AMH was setup nice. Both played more like a game at my house and Spooky definately benefited from how well AMH played and was recieved.

Overall I'm excited about The Hobbit based on 2 plays at TPF.

#4947 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

But it seems to completely defeat the purpose: showing off game play.
Result: complaints about the pin playing like crap because it's floaty.
Set it up right so people can get a more accurate feel for how it plays.

Oh I agree with you completely!

I was just imagining what their thought process could possibly be. That's the only thing I can think of as to why they would do that.

#4948 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

I did not like the super high gloss decals.

I was talking to Jack about the high gloss decals on TH and he said the final optional ones are not going to be quite that glossy.

#4949 5 years ago

Just got a call from JJP. My Hobbit is ready to be shipped or picked up Woooo woooo baby the are on the way!!! Since I'm 3 hrs out and its my first machine I opted for delivery but should get it sometime tomorrow afternoon. Congrats for those that ordered. Its been a long wait but I'm sure it's well worth it.

#4950 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinister:

Just got a call from JJP. My Hobbit is ready to be shipped or picked up Woooo woooo baby the are on the way!!! Since I'm 3 hrs out and its my first machine I opted for delivery but should get it sometime tomorrow afternoon. Congrats for those that ordered. Its been a long wait but I'm sure it's well worth it.

To have been true....I hate 4/1

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Pinckney, MI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Escondido, CA
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 12.99
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Virginia Beach, VA
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 99 of 201.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside