47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg
There are 10,044 posts in this topic. You are on page 95 of 201.
#4701 9 years ago

The playfield layout looks to be on the easy side overall, so does anybody think the center post makes the Ball times too long? Glad its optional but SM had a center post and ball times are too long to justify that

#4702 9 years ago

Not sure about the lay out. There is so few to give the ball crazy behaviour.

And cant get passed by that not doing anything Smaug. Still cant wait to see the final result.

#4703 9 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

So, you think a realistic time is about another 6 months or so?

He's more towards the back of the line If you know what I mean...not that I'm implying anything

#4704 9 years ago
Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Recorded some video of The Hobbit at the Ohio Show.

Dig the bonus count.

#4705 9 years ago
Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Am I the only one that was completely distracted by the sounds of a Fathom being played nearby?

#4706 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I really don't think you need the protector in a home environment. The only thing that concerns me is that VUK hole by Bag End. That puppy's gonna take a serious beating without some kind of Cliffy or something. Seems like a big design flaw.

I don't understand why no manufacturer has come out with a replaceable plastic "bushing" type of protector for VUK holes. All it would take is a larger diameter counterbore 1/4" deep on the playfield with a push in type of bushing. There are many ways it could be held in place. They could even go the entire way down the hole by making it a sleeve with a larger diameter lip on the top like a coil sleeve but larger.

#4707 9 years ago
Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

» YouTube video

Thanks Waddle! Very cool video. Looking forward to playing it at the TPF.

#4708 9 years ago
Quoted from TaTa:

RadCals on TH are 1st gen and the new one will be less shinny and more durable [TG! the light reflection off them was unbearable]...

TaTa, agree that they were unbearable but what gets me is that this is something I contemplated on getting and after seeing them in person I wouldn't spend the additional cash to get them. You're saying that these are the "1st gen" ones and that the new ones "will be less shinny". This is good in a way but also bad as I can't see putting down $400 for them after seeing the 1st gen ones! It's not only the shininess but also the fact that they look very wavy and show every imperfection! Would love the see the "new ones" in person prior to the machines being made but this seems as though it's not going to happen!! Thanks for the post!

#4709 9 years ago

Got to play TH today at the Ohio Show and chat with Gary for a bit.

I think the game play is great, considering the code is still really rough. I didn't realize the pop-up targets can register with a hit from the front *and* back. REALLY cool (maybe some future options here?) The flow was really fast, graphics incredible, and my earlier comments about not liking the really open field were quickly dismissed once I got to play and interact with all the pop-ups. In fact, they can really mess up your shot, like Dekiembe Motumbo going "NOT IN MY HOUSE!" as you line up a shot and a "whack a mole" pops up and screws up your plan. Smaug's movement, voice, red glow, etc... was awesome (I only got to see it on a second ball lock).

Negatives:

- Twice saw the ball get stuck between Smaug and the left ramp. I would have to see a random post put there. Perhaps the Smaug creature can be built up in that area to avoid the cavity that trapped a couple airballs.
- Side art was a mess. There were clear waves/rippled in it. Process needs to be better tuned.
-I also really didn't care for the playfield protector or whatever was on there giving the playfield a really cloudy, yet reflective appearance. Sorry, I just like the perfect clearcoat shine.

#4710 9 years ago

Looks as boring as last time.

Great theme, great LCD, boring playfield.

*sigh*

#4711 9 years ago
Quoted from wxforecaster:

- Twice saw the ball get stuck between Smaug and the left ramp. I would have to see a random post put there. Perhaps the Smaug creature can be built up in that area to avoid the cavity that trapped a couple airballs.

Perhaps you mean behind the D drop target, in front of the VUK. I specifically asked Jack about that and why the checks for lost ball didn't kick it out. He said that they've already fixed that (I assume he meant with a post or something) and therefore didn't modify the code to look for the ball there.

#4712 9 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

*sigh*

You are making me want to get out of my pre-order. I am really concerned...tell us more!

When do you think it will ship?

Your advice is appreciated.

#4713 9 years ago

The side art was kind of a mess. Like wx said ripples in the side. If anyone is getting it with the playfield protectors that milimeter of protection really makes the rollovers not register well and they are pretty damn important.

#4714 9 years ago
Quoted from DougPiranha:

You are making me want to get out of my pre-order. I am really concerned...tell us more!
When do you think it will ship?
Your advice is appreciated.

BAD
The shots aren't particularly satisfying. And it's really spread out. I played a bunch and watched a bunch. Nobody was really doing anything with the upper flipper and the hole to the left is not a better shot from it, it's better from the right flipper. When you hit the loop it doesn't come zooming back, it's slow and floaty (should have had a half loop instead of the full on entire game travel). Does the game have magnets? It really needs some somewhere to do something interesting. It's slow in general, takes a long time to get the ball back from hole shots, ramps shots, balls returning but hitting the pop ups stopping coming back down. The game feels far away, I lIke alot of open playfield games but this is too open and needed 1 thing closer crowding a side or something.

GOOD
The graphics are amazing. The grid seems like an interesting rule system in the making. Every angle off the flippers seems like it'll hit something, a popup, ramp, rollover, target etc (although I'm not quite sure if this is good entirely) I like the art alot. smaug is great and he talks in time with the speech. Feels solid, flippers feel a bit better than woz.

I love woz and want one, this game with a better theme, not so much.

#4715 9 years ago
Quoted from JeffA:

Perhaps you mean behind the D drop target, in front of the VUK. I specifically asked Jack about that and why the checks for lost ball didn't kick it out. He said that they've already fixed that (I assume he meant with a post or something) and therefore didn't modify the code to look for the ball there.

No, I meant what I said. The issue you mention is also an issue, but I didn't bring it up because I know the code was already addressed to fix that. The issue I mentioned cannot be fixed by code, only a reversal of earth's gravity (or tilting the machine).

#4716 9 years ago

The stuff in the back box was awesome. Flippers were very weak. I think the whole layout of the game would be better if it was a standard playfield instead of a wide body. It just played too open. Cabinet was amazing also.

#4717 9 years ago

Nice review. Pinside is awesome when the posts are non emotional.

Quoted from nikpinball:

BAD
The shots aren't particularly satisfying. And it's really spread out. I played a bunch and watched a bunch. Nobody was really doing anything with the upper flipper and the hole to the left is not a better shot from it, it's better from the right flipper. When you hit the loop it doesn't come zooming back, it's slow and floaty (should have had a half loop instead of the full on entire game travel). Does the game have magnets? It really needs some somewhere to do something interesting. It's slow in general, takes a long time to get the ball back from hole shots, ramps shots, balls returning but hitting the pop ups stopping coming back down. The game feels far away, I lIke alot of open playfield games but this is too open and needed 1 thing closer crowding a side or something.
GOOD
The graphics are amazing. The grid seems like an interesting rule system in the making. Every angle off the flippers seems like it'll hit something, a popup, ramp, rollover, target etc (although I'm not quite sure if this is good entirely) I like the art alot. smaug is great and he talks in time with the speech. Feels solid, flippers feel a bit better than woz.
I love woz and want one, this game with a better theme, not so much.

#4718 9 years ago

Here is a video of a game I played on The Hobbit at the Ohio Pinball Show. The right slingshot wasn't functioning.

#4719 9 years ago

The PinballStar thread had a lot of very positive things to say about the pin by some folks who got to play it for a couple of hours.

I'm in for a SE and hope it is great...I won't have the chance to play one most likely until it is in my gameroom. Thanks for the vids.

#4720 9 years ago

It looks amazing, looking forwarding to seeing this in the darkness of my lair. Gameplay seems fast and equally impressive.

#4721 9 years ago
Quoted from lodgingdolphin:

Here is a video of a game I played on The Hobbit at the Ohio Pinball Show. The right slingshot wasn't functioning.
» YouTube video

Finally a great video! I can't wait to get this game. After seeing all of the excitement from MMr's being unboxed, I can only imagine how good it will feel to open TH.

#4722 9 years ago
Quoted from jazc4:

After seeing all of the excitement from MMr's being unboxed, I can only imagine how good it will feel to open TH.

Open one like this? Be sure to have a buddy or two with you. Hobbit is heavy, getting it out of and into the box requires more than one person.

Hobbit in box.JPGHobbit in box.JPG
#4723 9 years ago

» YouTube video

Very nice video. Thanks.

#4724 9 years ago
Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Thanks for posting. I see some new spotlights in the video, nice to see these and hope they add a couple more so the lighting is good from the factory. All the videos from Ohio show look promising.

#4725 9 years ago

#4726 9 years ago

» YouTube video

Thanks for the video.

To me, this looks like a lot of fun. Period.

#4727 9 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

So, you think a realistic time is about another 6 months or so?

The distro at the Ohio show said 5 months.

#4728 9 years ago

I'm sure that's for a new order.

#4729 9 years ago
Quoted from Jargus:

I'm sure that's for a new order.

I was quoted late Summer/Fall so unless anyone else has heard sooner than this (which is about 5 months), then that's probably the expected launch time.

#4730 9 years ago

» YouTube video

Thank you for the excellent video. I especially like that you held the phone steady! It makes it so much easier to follow the ball and know what is happening. Well done.

I'm excited about how nicely TH is shaping up and I'm looking forward to delivery - whenever it is ready.

#4731 9 years ago

Thanks for posting the video!

#4732 9 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

Thank you for the excellent video. I especially like that you held the phone steady! It makes it so much easier to follow the ball and know what is happening. Well done.
I'm excited about how nicely TH is shaping up and I'm looking forward to delivery - whenever it is ready.

I actually was the one holding the phone steady he was the one playing.

#4733 9 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

I actually was the one holding the phone steady he was the one playing.

Thanks for sticking to decaf that day!

#4734 9 years ago

» YouTube video

I had a blast playing this machine, even with the right slingshot not working. Here are some of my thoughts on the game so far:

1) The upper flipper seemed kind of pointless now, but could be cool if a timed shot near the dwarf stand up targets was lit after hitting the ball through the left orbit.
2) The gameplay didn't feel sluggish to me and the only time things slowed down was for ball locks and multiball.
3) The playfield looked amazing. I absolutely loved the art and colors.
4) I enjoyed shooting for the roll over lock switches in the center of the playfield.
5) The pop up enemies were fun to shoot for and very satisfying to hit.
6) The LCD screen over the pop bumpers didn't do much for me. I don't think I noticed what was playing on that screen once during the game. I'm sure that will change once more time is spent playing.
7) The images on the main screen were extremely sharp looking. All the gameplay details being displayed were fun to follow. I really liked the map in the center that tracked completed and/or achieved modes.

Overall I was impressed and couldn't feel any better about my preorder. I'm confident it will only improve with updated code.

#4735 9 years ago

Thank u looks pretty cool! Can't believe how far this has come. I was very disappointed early on.
I'm planning on snagging one. But I don't prepay !! No way no how !

#4736 9 years ago
Quoted from TaTa:

I had a chance to really talk to Jack at PinballStars party and this is summery of SOME of the things that were said and my comments on them: ... RadCals on TH are 1st gen and the new one will be less shinny and more durable [TG! the light reflection off them was unbearable]

It seems there is always a reason "excuse" for every missed date or poor item. There was movie release date blue ray release date it is just a prototype. Why do you do that first crapy playfield art if you are just going to redo it same can be said for Smaug. RadCal seems to have one more reason"excuse"coming down the line

#4737 9 years ago

OP can u change the name of the thread title to read 'Positive Hobbit Updates'

#4738 9 years ago

*sigh*

I think you are a hard judge looks like a lot of games the last several years. 2/3 ramps a toy or two, two or three bank or drop targets posable a captive ball or kick out last right/left loop

#4739 9 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

I think you are a hard judge looks like a lot of games the last several years. 2/3 ramps a toy or two, two or three bank or drop targets posable a captive ball or kick out last right/left loop

Hold on a sec...I had to sit down. It almost sounded like EK was defending a JJP product. :explodinghead:

#4740 9 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

It seems there is always a reason "excuse" for every missed date or poor item. There was movie release date blue ray release date it is just a prototype. Why do you do that first crapy playfield art if you are just going to redo it same can be said for Smaug. RadCal seems to have one more reason"excuse"coming down the line

Meds?

#4741 9 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

I was quoted late Summer/Fall so unless anyone else has heard sooner than this (which is about 5 months), then that's probably the expected launch time.

Ugh, that sucks... a few months ago distributors were saying production late March/early April. This must be why they are only taking one "prototype" to the TPF this week..

#4742 9 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

For 8K, pre-orders, and a long wait, you bet your ass I'm a hard judge!

Not a JJP basher......really wanted this to be great.

#4743 9 years ago

Wanted?

#4744 9 years ago

Sorry folks I still think Pre Pay and LE games that means Stern to are for suckers

#4745 9 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

Sorry folks I still think Pre Pay and LE games that means Stern to are for suckers

Pre-pay is going to disappear. LE games on the other hand will be around as long as they are profitable.

#4746 9 years ago

This is my last pre-pay. Heck, I still consider bagging every now and then but I think I'm going to stay the course.

#4747 9 years ago

I think he, like myself, is still a bit disappointed with some of the missed opportunities for amazing coolness in various ways, be it specific toys, features, little LCD's in useless spots, etc... These missed opportunities for amazing coolness, are on items that cannot or will not be changed.

Seeing how much stuff WOZ had going on and knowing they would be making the hobbit got alot of peoples hopes and expectations very high and there is no denying there just isn't (currently) as much going on on this playfield. I don't consider each individual drop target a separate "thing to be going on".

I however still think it will be cool enough to want to own and still have my money in (keep in mind I am lower middle class and don't typically have thousands to piss away so I may be a harsher critic than some). It still looks pretty cool to me.

#4748 9 years ago

That was the best video yet, so thanks for posting that!

The LCD screen over the pop bumpers didn't do much for me. I don't think I noticed what was playing on that screen once during the game. I'm sure that will change once more time is spent playing.

From what I saw in the video (at the 1:08 mark), one of the uses of the book is to show the countdown for timed modes, similar to TSPP. You can see the countdown on the main display as well, but it's much easier to just quickly glance at the book. Well done.

I also like the addition of the 4 spotlights. If I had one suggestion, I wish they had used color-changing GI lighting instead of just standard white. That could have really set the overall mood for the different modes. But with so many modes & multiple tasks running at the same time, maybe that would have been too much? I'd really like to ask Jack why they didn't go that route.

Otherwise looks phenomenal, fast, and may require some serious quick multitasking skills during gameplay. The shipping date can't come fast enough!

#4749 9 years ago

I concur with Darkwizard... I'm still in but I'm disappointed that they dropped the ball in several areas. I'm assuming this is their finished product. They've turned what could have been the best title into a good one. Aside from the restrictions to Smaug, it seems to me like cost cutting has gotten to this machine. How else can you describe the void area that is Bagend? If it's not cost cutting then that says something about the designers or lack there of...

#4750 9 years ago
Quoted from PBINTHESOUTH:

Ugh, that sucks... a few months ago distributors were saying production late March/early April. This must be why they are only taking one "prototype" to the TPF this week..

Is there a distributor taking the hobbit to TPF?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 25.50
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 10,044 posts in this topic. You are on page 95 of 201.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-update-1/page/95 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.