Topic Stats

• 10,044 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 714 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOB (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
No.gif
IMG_9476_(resized).JPG
47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 91 of 201.
#4501 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Since JJP did not meet their "contractual obligation"; I wonder what the penalty is?

$1?

I would not be surprised if that "obligation" was actually suggested by JJP. Remember back then the delays with WoZ. How could you convince potential buyers who could pre-order the Hobbit that this would not happen again?

Contractual obligation.

#4502 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Are you guys saying that someone may have been fibbing about a contractual obligation?

The surprising part to me is not that some people think JJP may mislead it's customers about delivery dates but that some people still believe they tell the truth. How many promised delivery dates did JJP miss? A few towards the end are understandable. The promises that were greater than a year out?? I still get a kick out of the video were Jack was talking to someone at MPE. If he played in a poker game and bluffed that poorly everyone would take him to the cleaners. People are not paying attention or they so badly want JJP to do well they completely ignore any negative. I'm sure there are lots of people on both sides.

#4503 4 years ago

Guys, companies miss deadlines all the time. Boing was very late with their Dreamliner, Airbus was late with their A380, Bombardier was late with their C series jets, Microsoft and Apple miss deadlines all the time and so on and so on. Stern misses them I am sure but they do not go public with their deadlines (they are internal). Why do you think everyone bitches about Stern Code? - because it is late. In marketing almost any product, research has shown time and time again that in most (not all) cases you are better to get to market early with a buggy incomplete product than late with a perfect product. Why? Because consumers (us) are stupid! We are impulsive and no longer hold companies accountable. Once price became more important than customer service it opened a new era, one in which companies do not have to be as accountable to their clients. We will buy it anyway. When it comes to code in which safety isn't an issue (like pinball code) this isn't the end of the world when deadlines are missed because you can work on code improvements after the fact. However, if you produce mechanical items, layouts which are poor - then no amount of code can improve that.

It isn't like the pinball industry is any worse than any other industry. Everyone relax and enjoy the hobby. Enjoy what you have and try not to fret about the small stuff.

#4504 4 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

The surprising part to me is not that some people think JJP may mislead it's customers about delivery dates but that some people still believe they tell the truth. How many promised delivery dates did JJP miss? A few towards the end are understandable. The promises that were greater than a year out?? I still get a kick out of the video were Jack was talking to someone at MPE. If he played in a poker game and bluffed that poorly everyone would take him to the cleaners. People are not paying attention or they so badly want JJP to do well they completely ignore any negative. I'm sure there are lots of people on both sides.

I don't think the missed delivery dates matter anymore now that JJP has not only shipped all 1000 LE's but also completed an extremely deep ruleset for the game very quickly. The success of the game, its sales, its frequent code updates, earnings and fun factor now far outweigh the delayed shipping discussion.

As someone who owns a WOZ I can see why it took JJP so long. 3 years isn't really that long considering that they started from nothing and managed to build a machine that blows anything else away in terms of what you get for the money.

#4505 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I don't think the missed delivery dates matter anymore now that JJP has not only shipped all 1000 LE's but also completed an extremely deep ruleset for the game very quickly. The success of the game, its sales, its frequent code updates, earnings and fun factor now far outweigh the delayed shipping discussion.
As someone who owns a WOZ I can see why it took JJP so long. 3 years isn't really that long considering that they started from nothing and managed to build a machine that blows anything else away in terms of what you get for the money.

The promises from Jack go to honesty and can be used as a general rule whenever Jack gives info. If you guys that have machines on order don't care that you don't get accurate info then it really doesn't matter.

#4506 4 years ago

MMr is further behind schedule at this point than TH. Let's hope they crank them out faster than the reported 35 a week. Having said that, I have been part of several large projects, most of which experienced delays that could not have been anticipated or avoided, so I am both sympathetic and, to a significant extent, patient.

#4507 4 years ago

I don't think that there are too many people that are particularly upset or critical that Hobbit is going to be delayed by 90 days or so. I think most of us are happy that JJP has listened to the feedback since Expo and are taking steps to improve the pin. And from what we've seen, many of the improvements are worth the wait.

The bigger point is people being upset with what appear to be false statements like "we are contractually obligated to ship when the third movie opens."

#4508 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Since JJP did not meet their "contractual obligation"; I wonder what the penalty is?

Don't forget that Jackson and the studio originally planned to release The Hobbit in summer of 2014 but they pushed the release back to Christmas 2014.

Timelines change it's the way of the world. If I have to wait a few more months for my game, I feel pretty damn lucky to have such atrocious first world problems.

#4509 4 years ago
Quoted from pindome:

Don't forget that Jackson and the studio originally planned to release The Hobbit in summer of 2014 but they pushed the release back to Christmas 2014.
Timelines change it's the way of the world. If I have to wait a few more months for my game, I feel pretty damn lucky to have such atrocious first world problems.

So you are saying Jack was given six extra months and is still late.

#4510 4 years ago

Rob nailed it! Two different points. acceptable delay vs being lied to. It's a tough choice on one hand other folks say nothing and freak everyone out and then there is Jack the salesman who chimes in but it's well you know... Salesman charm ; )

#4511 4 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

So you are saying Jack was given six extra months and is still late.

No I am saying timelines change, and I am pretty damn fortunate to have a Hobbit on order. I can also get my money back or sell it at a profit if I wish.

77 if this is one of your big problems in life you too are damn fortunate.

We just helped a village in Tanzania install a local well. They used to have to walk almost three miles to get water. First world pinball wait times seem pretty minor when you compare them to 90%+ of the worlds population.

77 appreciate what you have not what you don't have.

#4512 4 years ago
Quoted from Hwawonyu:

then there is Jack the salesman who chimes in but it's well you know... Salesman charm ; )

Except that no one posting can say they have seen the actual contract between JJP and WB, so to say the comment was a lie is to imply you know something which you actually don't. Only Jack knows for sure

But I gotta agree with pindome ^^^ pretty minor issue in the big picture. We should be spending our time discussing something else that really matters... like that colors of that damn dress

#4513 4 years ago

Unfortunately Jack "promised" a lot more along the way regarding the hobbit besides contractual obligated start delivery dates. These weren't met too...

#4514 4 years ago
Quoted from HENSBROOKER:

Unfortunately Jack "promised" a lot more along the way regarding the hobbit besides contractual obligated start delivery dates. These weren't met too...

I would like to know where Jack actually " Promised " anything but a great game. In all his fliers Jack has written " Subject to change " no promises there. He made a lot of statements that I think most of you took to heart. Look, the Machine is coming reguardles. I want my machine as bad as anyone else here. But do you want them to rush it? All you will get is a good looking machine with a screwed up code. where would all the fun be in that? We all knew the possible delays when we ordered so why complain. it is what it is. just be patient.

#4515 4 years ago

Playing my LOTR tonight, I was thinking how glad I am it was made. I love the theme, the rules, etc. I remember when I ordered it 11 years ago. It seemed like it took forever for the box to arrive. And even longer to put it together for that first ball.

All of this reminded me that all of the debate about lies and missed deadlines will mean nothing to me when I've had TH in my gameroom for a week, a month, a year. This doesn't mean I approve of deceit, but I expected delays with TH after the WOZ problems. Plus I focus on the long term of having a fun game for years to come.

#4516 4 years ago
Quoted from fuko:

We should be spending our time discussing something else that really matters... like that colors of that damn dress

Gold and white with a very slight bluish hue. Anyone who says black is colorblind!

#4517 4 years ago
Quoted from pindome:

No I am saying timelines change, and I am pretty damn fortunate to have a Hobbit on order. I can also get my money back or sell it at a profit if I wish.
77 if this is one of your big problems in life you too are damn fortunate.
We just helped a village in Tanzania install a local well. They used to have to walk almost three miles to get water. First world pinball wait times seem pretty minor when you compare them to 90%+ of the worlds population.
77 appreciate what you have not what you don't have.

If %90 of the worlds population saw what people spend on pinball and what they whine about they would shake there head and laugh

#4518 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Gold and white with a very slight bluish hue. Anyone who says black is colorblind!

The actual dress IS blue and black, which is why those colors are the correct answer.
http://mashable.com/2015/02/26/buy-blue-black-white-gold-dress/

image.jpg

#4519 4 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

The actual dress IS blue and black, which is why those colors are the correct answer.
image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

...except when it comes in white and gold.

Do people waste their time with this stuff so they don't have to think about ISIS?

#4520 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

...except when it comes in white and gold.
Do people waste their time with this stuff so they don't have to think about ISIS?

It doesn't come in white and gold. It does come in bright white (no blue tint) and BLACK, however.

But as the story in the link says, the ACTUAL dress from the original photo was blue and black.

Anyhow, this is about as productive as ISIS hand wringing. And I'm not particularly worried about ISIS as there doesn't seem to be ANY party that is particularly attractive to our interests there anyhow. If it ain't ISIS, it's someone else. Like the war on crime, drugs, illegal immigration, you can't eliminate it, only minimize it. Not a fan of Morsi, Sisi, Abbas, Netanyahu, Assad, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Tehran, Jerusalem/Tel Aviv, Baghdad. Besides, it seems to be turning into a Sunni v Shia thing anyway: best we stay out of it when two pit Bulls are going at it... As long as they keep to their own junkyard.

I'd rather talk about pinball and color subjectivity any day.

#4521 4 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

It doesn't come in white and gold. It does come in bright white (no blue tint) and BLACK, however.
But as the story in the link says, the ACTUAL dress from the original photo was blue and black.
Anyhow, this is about as productive as ISIS hand wringing. And I'm not particularly worried about ISIS as there doesn't seem to be ANY party that is particularly attractive to our interests there anyhow. If it ain't ISIS, it's someone else. Like the war on crime, drugs, illegal immigration, you can't eliminate it, only minimize it. Not a fan of Morsi, Sisi, Abbas, Netanyahu, Assad, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Tehran, Jerusalem/Tel Aviv, Baghdad. Besides, it seems to be turning into a Sunni v Shia thing anyway: best we stay out of it when two pit Bulls are going at it... As long as they keep to their own junkyard.
I'd rather talk about pinball and color subjectivity any day.

Inflammatory? Uh, okaaayyyyyyy. Sorry about that.

#4522 4 years ago
Quoted from PBFan:

Guys, companies miss deadlines all the time. Boing was very late with their Dreamliner, Airbus was late with their A380, Bombardier was late with their C series jets, Microsoft and Apple miss deadlines all the time and so on and so on. Stern misses them I am sure but they do not go public with their deadlines (they are internal). Why do you think everyone bitches about Stern Code? - because it is late. In marketing almost any product, research has shown time and time again that in most (not all) cases you are better to get to market early with a buggy incomplete product than late with a perfect product. Why? Because consumers (us) are stupid! We are impulsive and no longer hold companies accountable. Once price became more important than customer service it opened a new era, one in which companies do not have to be as accountable to their clients. We will buy it anyway. When it comes to code in which safety isn't an issue (like pinball code) this isn't the end of the world when deadlines are missed because you can work on code improvements after the fact. However, if you produce mechanical items, layouts which are poor - then no amount of code can improve that.
It isn't like the pinball industry is any worse than any other industry. Everyone relax and enjoy the hobby. Enjoy what you have and try not to fret about the small stuff.

You're too smart to be here! I'm putting you on "Ignore" !

#4523 4 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Man, we ain't got time for facts!

EDIT: This is the hobbit thread and we are talking about dresses. DRESSES - WTF!!!

#4524 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Man, we ain't got time for facts!
EDIT: This is the hobbit thread and we are talking about dresses. DRESSES - WTF!!!

What kind of accessories would one wear with that dress? LOL. Just about all the threads concerning JJP go way off the tracks. Suppose it's inevitable when we have 2 years plus to discuss before they ever think of shipping.

#4525 4 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

What kind of accessories would one wear with that dress? LOL. Just about all the threads concerning JJP go way off the tracks. Suppose it's inevitable when we have 2 years plus to discuss before they ever think of shipping.

Just waiting for The Hobbit.
Is that finish Gold or Bronze?
/ducks

#4526 4 years ago

I'm hoping this long gap between updates means that something positive is happening towards game development (and I'm not talking about coding) ...

#4527 4 years ago

Shh...they're building my Hobbit right now. That's why they're so busy. Don't interrupt them.

#4528 4 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

What kind of accessories would one wear with that dress?

dress1.png dress2.png
#4529 4 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

I'm hoping this long gap between updates means that something positive is happening towards game development (and I'm not talking about coding) ...

I think they are holding back to make a big final reveal - with shipping now.

#4530 4 years ago

Likely waiting for Blu-Ray release date to hit this month. Then BOOM, update time.

#4531 4 years ago

I'm hoping we get to see an updated version of TH at the Texas Pinball Festival at the end of this month.

#4532 4 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

I'm hoping we get to see an updated version of TH at the Texas Pinball Festival at the end of this month.

I hope I get my Hobbit by the end of this month.

#4533 4 years ago

Everyday I click on this thread hoping...and everyday...

#4534 4 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

Everyday I click on this thread hoping...and everyday...
» YouTube video

image.jpg

#4535 4 years ago

With all the talk about the release of the game with the release of the movie as a rental both the five armies and smaug are on apple tv

#4536 4 years ago

Its close and being a Predator customer makes this scenario of being delayed a little something to be happy about, I know I'm getting this pin, hey that might be the good part of the crap that has transpired with some of the boutique companies. I just have a feeling that this game will blow me away, can't explain it but its there. Now I dance.

untitled.png

#4537 4 years ago

Any new updates? Any news about when it will truly be on the line?

#4538 4 years ago

Will we see an updated version at the Texas Pinball Festival?

#4539 4 years ago

Are those Hobbit machines in the background from just posted facebook image?

Tim

10978534_948349825183614_9206485870041110842_n.jpg
#4540 4 years ago

shoot, looks like the LION on the side

#4541 4 years ago
Quoted from Sidekick74:

Are those Hobbit machines in the background from just posted facebook image?
Tim

10978534_948349825183614_9206485870041110842_n.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

seems to me the line is still set up for WOZ

#4542 4 years ago

I think JJP is just waiting on parts to come in for the next Hobbit reveal and info. Soon I am hoping

#4543 4 years ago

Hopefully the next reveal is the machines in production and hopefully that reveal is soon.

#4544 4 years ago

Going nuts for an update - throw us something JJP

“So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their endings.”

#4545 4 years ago
Quoted from mummite:

I think JJP is just waiting on parts to come in for the next Hobbit reveal and info. Soon I am hoping

parts suppliers was the excuse used with WOZ

#4546 4 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

#4547 4 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

If not that, then what would you consider to be a valid excuse?

#4548 4 years ago
Quoted from kidvid:

If not that, then what would you consider to be a valid excuse?

There is none

#4549 4 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

There is none

Says someone who has never made anything, ever

#4550 4 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

There is none

Improving the overall aesthetic design of the pin isn't a valid excuse for a minor delay? I would like to hear what buyers have to say on that one. As a buyer, I don't mind waiting a few measly months.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
7,400 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Camano Island, WA
There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 91 of 201.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside