Topic Stats

• 10,044 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 714 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOB (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
No.gif
IMG_9476_(resized).JPG
47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 88 of 201.
#4351 5 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

There isn't a KJ game I haven't played that hasnt been great.

I was wondering about this. I haven't played close to all of Keith's games but his work seems to be universally well regarded. Assuming you enjoy "deep" games why would you worry about him having a bunch of modes to play with? Of course who knows until the code is done, but wouldn't "the more the merrier" seem like a more likely outcome given Keith's track record?

#4352 5 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

I don't understand people who can't be bothered to spend 5 minutes (or less) to learn a game's rules. TZ might be "deep" by pinball standards, but everything you need to know is written on a 3x5 card in the apron. Hell, it can be condensed even further:
Shoot ramps to light locks, mode starts and gumball shot. Shoot locks for mutiball. Shoot yellow mode start shots for door modes. Shoot right side when lit to cycle gumball, do that enough to get powerball. Shoot powerball back up right side for another multiball. Inlanes lights opposite orbit for spiral award.
The above paragraph covers 95% of TZ. Not exactly rocket science. Now, learning how to play the game WELL and EFFICIENTLY and get good scores... that's the learning process!

It's not just the rules of the game. I can memorize anything. That doesn't make a game fun for me.

I have no connection to Twilight Zone as a show, so I don't understand what significance the piano, door, gumball machine, clock, etc.. play. I'm not going to take the time to go understand the lore just so I can understand the pinball machine.

In my opinion, TZ does a poor job of explaining the goals or why things happen in what order.

#4353 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

More is definitely not always better. It might sound nice in theory, who doesn't want more gameplay? But in practice it's definitely not true.
If I had one complaint about Keefer's games it would be that they can be somewhat overwhelming, in the sense that there's so many things to do, and so much to grind through, that you can decide to walk past the machine because you're just not up for such an epic attempt.
I know a lot of LOTR and TSPP owners who absolutely love their games, don't want to sell them, will tell you how awesome they are, and yet ... they don't actually play them. Because they know that if they step to it they're in for a seriously long and involved game.
Now we don't know how these modes work yet. But Star Trek's 18 are a lesson in how more of the same isn't all that. You need variety, not just numbers.
I'm not down on Hobbit specifically, we don't have even the barest insight into the rules and what that grid means. I'm just saying that in general there gets to be a point where "more modes" doesn't always equal a better game.

I agree. I would just add that too many modes without shot variety is repetitious. Too many different shots without enough modes is pointless. You need a balance between shot variety and number of modes. For me, personally, TSPP, LOTR, and especially WOZ hit the sweet spot. But you are right that there are times when I don't feel like an epic battle. That said, there are LOTS of times when I feel exactly like an epic battle and will pass other simpler (but cleaner) pins.

I'm hoping the large drop target possibilities will translate into a large shot variety. Combined with Keithesque scale modes, will hit the balance between modes and shots nicely.

#4354 5 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

From what I can put together, there are 35 hexes representing modes. There could be 10 modes specific to each of the 3 films. The backglass already says "Shoot character or spell race to qualify modes". So these modes could be started by completing the drop targets (for Elf, Dwarf & Men), or there could be modes specific to hitting the Gandalf & Bilbo ramps, or the Radaghast scoop when lit.
Then there's the 3 goal modes already written on the playfield (Into the Fire, Barrel Escape & Battle of the Five Armies), and I imagine those are specific multiball modes, similar to LOTR. That leaves 2 hexes for Final Wizard modes, equaling 35.
Then there's the popups with the 4 beast hurry-up shots, Gollum ring mode, collecting the dwarfs, the key shot, obtaining sting, finding the arkenstone, the windlance, killing Smaug, defeating Azog, etc. etc. With so much content from these films, there's going to be a huge amount unique scenarios to cover it all. The more modes the better, and the best man in programming is on the job.
Of course I'm probably completely wrong about all of it. Care to enlighten us Keith? I think there are many of us who find the code potential the most exciting thing about this pin

Wow, love your interpretation of the cryptic clues. Hope it turns out as suggested.

#4355 5 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

This game looks to be coded for the home user who wants a deeper game.....but will be fun to play by the casual player. There isn't a KJ game I haven't played that hasnt been great. Glad he is taking this to another level.

Yep, can't agree more! So Keith can you enlighten us on any insight on what you have planned?

#4356 5 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

Really? If you can't figure out TZ, you really shouldn't be in the hobby. Shoot the 2 ramps to relight your piano and slot shots. Keep hitting those shots to start and stack modes until all the door panels are complete. Then shoot again to start wizard mode lost in the zone.
It really isn't that deep of a game. Just tons of mini modes.
TAF is basically the same thing. Do you not understand that one either?

yeah, and it's 10 years newer with a much better rules designer.

Ok, yours is hardly the worst example of needless ridicule here on Pinside, but it's the straw that broke this camel's back.

So... You know something that somebody else doesn't know, and your default position is to ridicule, and intimidate them??!! Why take the Dbag position immediately??

This is a community. I think we should act more like neighbours wherever possible. Less like hostile lone nuts deep in bunkers of unaccountability.

I had ALREADY pointed him to the information he'd require if he wanted to understand the game better.

Can't we all just be a little more civilized here??!! Maybe I'm missing some background beef between you two? If so, I'll bow out respectfully.

I just wish people would keep in mind that we are all a bunch of pinball enthusiasts, looking for some fellowship, and community here. At the end of the day, if you bully somebody, you're worst than the lamest high school bully I ever dealt with. You're a bully on a totally marginalized, esoteric, fanboy, discussion forum that NOBODY outside of US cares about.

Dgoett, I don't know anything about you, and I'm sorry if this seems to be calling you out in particular... It's not. I've just reached my breaking point with needlessly negative BS here.

I love pinball, and pinside is the greatest place to be if you do. I'd really like to keep it that way, instead of standing by while it succumbs to lowest common denominator ridiculing.

Sorry for the tirade.

Looking forward to any and all new Hobbit info. Can't wait to get mine.

Let's keep it positive folks!

#4357 5 years ago

^^^^^ ^^^^^^

What he said!

"nuts deep in bunkers of unaccountability"
LOL and eloquent in the same sentence.

#4358 5 years ago

This threads title need to be changed to Positive Hobbit Updates just like the MMR thread.

#4359 5 years ago

Back on topic. Gents, I am in,I just acquired a friends spot on the LE. Ive been on the fence to get a WOZ or Hobbit when the opportunity arose and I jumped in. Earlier in this thread a comment was made about the open playfield,which has been the reason that's held me back on this purchase. The comment was made comparing TH to AFM, both open, well I love AFM so here I am.

#4360 5 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Back on topic. Gents, I am in,I just acquired a friends spot on the LE. Ive been on the fence to get a WOZ or Hobbit when the opportunity arose and I jumped in. Earlier in this thread a comment was made about the open playfield,which has been the reason that's held me back on this purchase. The comment was made comparing TH to AFM, both open, well I love AFM so here I am.

Good point. That's why I wanted the hobbit. Out of my pin collection AFM "with a open PLAYFIELD" is one of my favs. Can't get enough.

#4361 5 years ago

I truly believe this will have the same effect. Not to mention the theme rocks.

#4362 5 years ago

So who has the earliest order date.. my request was made November 29 2012...

#4363 5 years ago

I bought from a distributer that ordered the first day of the preorder but I don't know how many was bought that day before his order was placed.

#4364 5 years ago
Quoted from PBINTHESOUTH:

So who has the earliest order date.. my request was made November 29 2012...

11/26/2012

#4365 5 years ago

11/25/12 is when I requested. Through distributor though so who knows.

#4366 5 years ago

I ordered mine on June 6, 1975

#4367 5 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

Dgoett, I don't know anything about you, and I'm sorry if this seems to be calling you out in particular... It's not. I've just reached my breaking point with needlessly negative BS here.

I admit my post might have been a little harsh, but most of it was explaining how to play it.

The attitude of "I don't understand the rules and don't want to" just hit me the wrong way. I think "pinball people" would want to know the most about EVERY games rules like it or not so when you play in a league or tourney you can compete.

I do agree we should be more like neighbors and I'm guilty of severe sarcasm and snippiness sometimes. So, my apologies.

#4368 5 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

I admit my post might have been a little harsh, but most of it was explaining how to play it.
The attitude of "I don't understand the rules and don't want to" just hit me the wrong way. I think "pinball people" would want to know the most about EVERY games rules like it or not so when you play in a league or tourney you can compete.
I do agree we should be more like neighbors and I'm guilty of severe sarcasm and snippiness sometimes. So, my apologies.

Mighty neighbourly of you! I appreciate the thoughtful response. Water under the bridge then?

My biggest hope for the Hobbit, rules, and final mech details aside... Is that I don't have to carry it in to my basement. Anybody have a spare Escalera??

#4369 5 years ago

I am still contemplating how I am going to move the thing.

#4371 5 years ago

I think it was JP de Win, at a seminar, who said that some of the many hexagons (modes) on the screen are just simple and relatively quick hurryups. I would hope that Keith will mix it up so players in all skill levels can feel that they are making some progress in this Hobbit adventure game.
Personally I am 100% sure that this game will be one of those games that will induce bad language, rage, heart attacks and promises to NEVER play this game again. And then 60 seconds later you press the start button again.

#4372 5 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

That's a very non pinside behavior of you

It's refreshing to see that it is possible for someone to do some soul-searching and admit that they might have responded a bit harsh. So many feel the need to defend themselves to death instead when they hear others think they went to far.

We all step over the line sometimes. It's how we react to criticism that defines us.

You took the route of total dudeness and I applaud you, Sir

#4373 5 years ago

Not a bad idea. Getting some wall dressing at the same time

#4374 5 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

This may be a stupid question, but does anyone know the range of the 4 digit number you could have for your SE? For instance, is it 1-1000 or 1-2000?

For the SE you could have picked any number. Since JJP had no clue as to how many SEs were going to be ordered you could pick any number. When all is said and done say they make 900 SEs. Even with 900 SEs you could still pick 1235 as your number. It basically comes down to what a lot of people have said in the past "the number means nothing on a machine". It's just something that some people prefer to have!

#4375 5 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

Mighty neighbourly of you! I appreciate the thoughtful response. Water under the bridge then?
My biggest hope for the Hobbit, rules, and final mech details aside... Is that I don't have to carry it in to my basement. Anybody have a spare Escalera??

Yep....it's spelled W-O-N-G! Ha ha ha.

#4376 5 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

I do. You are welcome to use it when the time comes. I'm in Mississauga.

#4377 5 years ago

mine is going in my walk out basement, from the delivery truck to the pallet forks on my bobcat and am driving the sucker right on the patio and through the double doors and setting her down on a moving dolly to it's final spot.
when i lugged my WOZ upstairs with a buddy i think i tore a fricken nut hauling that sucker up! i will break that machine down as far as i can when it comes time to put her downstairs.

#4378 5 years ago

I own an Escalara and a herniated disk so I'm OK with the first.

#4379 5 years ago

Enough talk about decals. I know the game will be awesome, but I want to see the rules and modes and I want to get my game and play the hell out of it! So please JJP, hurry up to start the production.

#4380 5 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

Enough talk about decals. I know the game will be awesome, but I want to see the rules and modes and I want to get my game and play the hell out of it! So please JJP, hurry up to start the production.

+1
My sentiments exactly.

#4381 5 years ago

My understanding is that Hobbit will be as WOZ in that it will have separate components that can be taken apart and reconstructed easily. Buddy's (Doughslinger) people helped me take apart my WOZ when it was delivered and it was very simple to move upstairs past some challenging corners. It went back together flawlessly in less than thirty minutes. There were three parts: the cabinet, backbox, and playfield. I will be doing the same with Hobbit.

#4383 5 years ago

#4384 5 years ago

Is anyone buying one of these just for home use only seriously considering getting the playfield protector?

I've decided against the decals, but for $150 the playfield protector is tempting. Looking at pictures of old pinball machines for sale, it seems like the decals are usually in pretty good shape compared to the playfield - especially the ball ramp area.

#4385 5 years ago

I am concerned about dirt trapped beneath the playfield protector. It's hard to imagine that the game is going to be used so heavily at home that the playfield will be damaged. At least, that's my guess. We'll see.

#4386 5 years ago

It's hard to imagine the game will stay in my collection long enough to get damaged.

#4387 5 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

I am concerned about dirt trapped beneath the playfield protector. It's hard to imagine that the game is going to be used so heavily at home that the playfield will be damaged. At least, that's my guess. We'll see.

This is my concern as well. The company that makes these has a website that hasn't been updated since March 2014. There is no history of these so who know what will happen 2-5 years down the road. I just keep thinking back to when manufacturers put the ring protectors around the pop bumpers. Anyone ever see a game with the ring protectors that the paint isn't worn under them?

#4388 5 years ago

Aren't some folks sticking these on their WOZs?

#4389 5 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

But that would be an edge issue - I think it would be hard to get dust under the bulk/center of the playfield.

I am thinking about adding one to mine for the following reasons:
1. Protect it better (worried about chipping issues reported from WOZ owners)
2. Shinier surface?
3. Not too expensive?

I guess in short it is probably more helpful than harmful. Also, planning on getting the RAD Cals (still don't like that name really). It will be glossy looking as hell on the cabinet, so the PF needs that extra pop from the PF protector.

#4390 5 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

I wasn't going to get one till I got a chip in my woz pf. Need to get more info before making a final decision but definitely leaning towards it.

#4391 5 years ago

Make your own call but I had one installed on my WOZECLE and after many plays decided to have one installed on my Hobbit LE. No chipping or wear anywhere on the play field or around any kick out holes. The play field beneath is as good as new and protected will remain that way for years.

#4392 5 years ago
Quoted from Bostonbuzz:

Make your own call but I had one installed on my WOZECLE and after many plays decided to have one installed on my Hobbit LE. No chipping or wear anywhere on the play field or around any kick out holes. The play field beneath is as good as new and protected will remain that way for years.

Really weird that you have to protect a 9000 dollar investment against chipping and playfield wear when played huo. If damage happens in such an environment that quick you are facing a major quality problem. Just my opinion.

#4393 5 years ago

Don't really see much of a downside to the playfield protector. Similar price as to those offered by Bay Area Amusements and it comes installed from the factory. Easy to remove, by cutting away, if it ends up collecting dirt/dust. I think for $150.00 it's worth a roll of the dice.

#4394 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

Really weird that you have to protect a 9000 dollar investment against chipping and playfield wear when played huo. If damage happens in such an environment that quick you are facing a major quality problem. Just my opinion.

Agree. It should not be needed in a home environment. I have a lot of plays on my WOZ and the playfield still looks great. No issues. It should be fine without.

#4395 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

But that would be an edge issue - I think it would be hard to get dust under the bulk/center of the playfield.

I completely disagree. There are 4 pop-ups on The Hobbit playfield, all needing holes cut out of the Playfield protector for the mechs to operate. So there will be plenty of edges for dust to get under the protector.

It's complete overkill for home use IMO. I'm passing.

#4396 5 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

There are 4 pop-ups on The Hobbit playfield

good point

#4397 5 years ago

I'll just pass this along. My WOZ chipping problem stems from painting over plastic (not wood) near the Winkie guard. The plastic lens under the diamond near the Winkie is actually quite large but painted in a diamond shape. My guess is the ball hits the Winkie guard target and kind of digs in as rotational energy is dissipated. I noticed a small chip and enameled over it as JJP suggested. My patch and an even larger chip then separated. So I retouched up with black enamel and covered with protective clear tape. This fixed the problem and looks great. There have no other chipping problems.

#4398 5 years ago

I'm getting the protector, cheap insurance on a very expensive toy. If I don't like it after a while, I can remove it.

#4399 5 years ago

Weekend reminder - one week until the Hobbit Release Party near Harrisburg PA - Sat 2/21 11-4pm - Jack will be there with a Hobbit - come enjoy a day with us... Details here...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinballstar-hobbit-and-mmr-release-party-sat-221

#4400 5 years ago
Quoted from ls1chris:

i will break that machine down as far as i can when it comes time to put her downstairs.

The nice part about these JJP designs is that there are not very many cables going up into the head. Makes it much easier to take off and put back on.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 88 of 201.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside