47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg
There are 10,044 posts in this topic. You are on page 84 of 201.
#4151 9 years ago

What PF has the final art? Is it the one with all the sky and smaug above the mountain? I really want to like the table but the art is very bland in the middle. The layout looks fun though and with Kieth the software will be fine.

#4152 9 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

I agree with you.
And if these rumors are true, that no tangible changes are being done to the playfield, then I'd be looking to sell or get my money back. But here is the predicament for us Canadians; now that our dollar has lost almost 20%... if we wanted to get get our money back and get some other "new" pinball, it would cost us about 1700$ more! (At least for those that were in early on the purchase, like me)
So if I do want to get a NIB pin, it looks like my options are drying up...may as well suck it up, get The Hodgepodge and trade it for another new pin and not lose on the exchange rate.
If that's the case, I may as well jump on the everything is awesome bandwagon and promote it so I get a better trade...
Everything is AWESOME!

Wow, how can all you guys judge this game before we have even had a chance to play it? Ironman and Tron by appearance alone look pretty dull and they are highly sought after, many other games seem baron but man the rules make them great and your ready to bury this pin because it doesn't have all the stuff that WOZ has on the PF, a populated PF with flashy toys does not encapsulate a great pinball machine.

#4153 9 years ago
Quoted from DevilsTuner:

What PF has the final art? Is it the one with all the sky and smaug above the mountain? I really want to like the table but the art is very bland in the middle. The layout looks fun though and with Kieth the software will be fine.

Final art is the cool looking one with giant Smaug. The boring sky/mountain one was shown at Expo in October and roundly rejected by the masses - resulting in the revised playfield.

#4154 9 years ago

While TH could use some cosmetic changes, I think its going to be very special.
After market mods will most likely clean up some spots, but this mode based game is going to break some new ground.

#4155 9 years ago

So this one?
If so dear God thank you lol. that other one that was baby blue looked like poo!

367.jpg367.jpg

#4156 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Wow, how can all you guys judge this game before we have even had a chance to play it? .

"Wow, how can you BUY a game before you even have a chance to play it"

See?

Yeah, so if a company wants people to spend their money prior to playing I think they need to expect it to be critiqued prior to play... Right?

#4157 9 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Thank You no shit huh

#4158 9 years ago
Quoted from DevilsTuner:

So this one?
If so dear God thank you lol. that other one that was baby blue looked like poo!

Yes, that one. The first rev was met with criticism and JJP responded with that, which is a huge improvement IMHO. Win for everyone.

#4159 9 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

See?
Yeah, so if a company wants people to spend their money prior to playing I think they need to expect it to be critiqued prior to play... Right?

I don't want to sound like an jerk but I can afford to buy anything I want, what's wrong with that? If I don't like it then I'll sell it but to bash it before you know for sure whether or not its a good game is just plain foolish. I have bought many games that I tried out and figured I'll like this in my collection yet it lasted only months before I realized it wasn't for me, ex. AC/DC Pre. Look at how many games have been out for years and all of a sudden become great must have pinballs, ones that we all have played before and maybe missed the magic, I don't know and I won't know till I get The Hobbit home to really find out what the game is all about, to judge based solely on appearance is ridiculous.

untitled.pnguntitled.png
#4160 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I don't want to sound like an jerk but I can afford to buy anything I want, what's wrong with that?

You missed the point (you were probably stacking your gold coins at the time or something)

Buy whatever you want....

My point was its foolish to ask people for money years ahead of shipment and then be somehow surprised when people critique a game while in-progress.

In fact, its a good thing JJP *IS* okay with this because all the criticism of the game *prior to completion* has likely resulted in JJP making a better game.

#4161 9 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

You missed the point (you were probably stacking your gold coins at the time or something)
Buy whatever you want....
My point was its foolish to ask people for money years ahead of shipment and then be somehow surprised when people critique a game while in-progress.
In fact, its a good thing JJP *IS* okay with this because all the criticism of the game *prior to completion* has likely resulted in JJP making a better game.

I agree, and its not gold coins but a very valuable manure pit in my backyard that I reap the benefits from. I get it and of course critique is a positive thing as shown by all the improvements made to the original pin. We all want it to be the case that the game is playable and ready for distribution prior to any money changing hands but that's not the case and I will say that if I didn't have the manure pit then I wouldn't be buying any NIB pinballs.

#4162 9 years ago

Looking forward to Jack's memoirs one day, and especially the Hobbit chapter. Would be interesting to read what was originally planned, what was blocked by the studio/PJ and all the changes along the way.

#4163 9 years ago

Stern asks for money up front on games that are not completed to secure a LE or pro model that may take over a year to have completed code...that is if the code actually gets completed. Is this ok?

I am happy to see this out, my $$$ are with the distributor and if something does happen and TH never gets made and shipped to my distributor( which would be terrible news for pinball) I will buy a WOZ that they already have in stock.
I wish JJP all the best and will remain positive until proven otherwise.

#4164 9 years ago

Never apologize for your English skills. Would you like us all to try our German out on you? You'll feel much better about your English!

This is funny. On thing I admire about people from other countries is that they can usually speak at least two languages. Americans, not so much. Some cant speak English

#4165 9 years ago

Im curious, has this ginormous thread changed anyones mind about this game? Has anyone who wanted it decided they didn't or the opposite? I got a refund and put the cash in the bank to wait on PL's upcoming pin. The design just didn't appeal to me.

#4166 9 years ago

I'm not a big Hobbit or LOTR's fans but its still much better to me than most themes out there and PL's pin will most likely be a very family friendly happy time theme and that doesn't appeal to me so I'm in for the long haul. If PL's game ends up being a must have its still a year or longer away. I have a gut feeling TH will be something special.

#4167 9 years ago

Star Wars is in the pipe wonder who Jack has doing that.

#4168 9 years ago
Quoted from DevilsTuner:

In the pipeline? Not really. This has been covered in other threads. You're not going to see a new Star Wars pin based on any of the new films until the new trilogy is completed. That's around 2019. The production around those films is the most top secret in history, so there's zero chance of them releasing any assets to be used in the design of an upcoming pinball machine made by a 3rd party company. Just look at the difficulty JJP had with producing TH and working with assets & getting approvals. A new SW pin will come eventually, but not for years.
That being said, I hope JJP secures the rights. The theme fits their family friendly model & would look incredible on their large LCD & history of deep coding.

#4169 9 years ago
Quoted from DevilsTuner:

Gary.

#4170 9 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

In the pipeline? Not really. This has been covered in other threads. You're not going to see a new Star Wars pin based on any of the new films until the new trilogy is completed. That's around 2019. The production around those films is the most top secret in history, so there's zero chance of them releasing any assets to be used in the design of an upcoming pinball machine made by a 3rd party company. Just look at the difficulty JJP had with producing TH and working with assets & getting approvals. A new SW pin will come eventually, but not for years.
That being said, I hope JJP secures the rights. The theme fits their family friendly model & would look incredible on their large LCD & history of deep coding.

I didnt even think of it that way. Makes total sense. They where so secretive with the p2k ep1 as well.

#4171 9 years ago

Silly me thinking there was news.

#4172 9 years ago

How about PL doing the original Trilogy of StarWars. Now that's something I would be interested in. I would love even an original space themed pin from Pat, Sci Fi is great for pinball.

#4173 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Wow, how can all you guys judge this game before we have even had a chance to play it? Ironman and Tron by appearance alone look pretty dull and they are highly sought after, many other games seem baron but man the rules make them great and your ready to bury this pin because it doesn't have all the stuff that WOZ has on the PF, a populated PF with flashy toys does not encapsulate a great pinball machine.

True, but those pins were THOUSANDS of dollars less expensive...and since I'm paying thousands of dollars more, I expect thousands of dollars more bling and detail!

I don't think I said the game would play bad, I'm sure it will play fine. But in the meantime, i'll be playing a game that has unfinished code and has an unfinished looking playfield (IMO)...and when the code eventually gets done, i'll still be playing an unfinished looking playfield... (that I paid thousands of dollars more for)...

#4174 9 years ago

What you paid for a pin has nothing to do with it.

One simply cannot judge a pin before playing it for yourself. Period. Especially when the design of the machine in question hasn't even been finalized yet, and you haven't even seen how the final code, design, sound & gameplay all come together.

#4175 9 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

True, but those pins were THOUSANDS of dollars less expensive...and since I'm paying thousands of dollars more, I expect thousands of dollars more bling and detail!
I don't think I said the game would play bad, I'm sure it will play fine. But in the meantime, i'll be playing a game that has unfinished code and has an unfinished looking playfield (IMO)...and when the code eventually gets done, i'll still be playing an unfinished looking playfield... (that I paid thousands of dollars more for)...

If it is this much of a concern then why buy it?

#4176 9 years ago

Really looking forward to playing it at the TPF. I think the game looks beautiful. I really hope it plays as good as it looks.

#4177 9 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

It's not possible to tell if it will be a hit or a miss until it's done. May I submit some examples..
SM - poo pooed until the code was done now they are highly prized.
IM - was chewed up and spit out at first, now we are lining up for seconds.
Totan - was considered a dog but try to find one under 5k now
CV - closed out at bargain basement prices, now fageddaboudit
POTC - was meh.. now hey!
Wh2o - B now an A title, same thing happening to RS
WoZ - was not received all that warmly at first but with the latest code, it's a sure keeper (wish I had kept mine now)
Even TSPP was a sleeper, we're wide awake now.
Time will tell the tale of TH. I'm in and will remain in until the code is complete. The hardware does need to be there but the sheer possibilities the JJP platform affords boggles the mind. It can be any number of games depending on who is programming it. Keith has a proven track record, I have every confidence it will be a cherished addition to any collection, if not off the bat, eventually. That said, I would like to see a couple changes before it starts rolling off the line.

SM was not poo pooed until the code was done. It was well received and appreciated more once the final code was done.
IM was chewed up and spit out first because most of thought it sucked and had been stripped down by Stern to increase profits. The only reason it turned into a second production run was that so few were sold that nobody could find one to play. Prices went up on scarcity alone and buyers thought they could flip them at a profit. Lots of those are already hitting the resale market and it does not look like there is much if any profit.
TOTAN happened near the end of the pinball era when they were clearing out MM's for $2800 NIB. Thats a hard comparison to make.
CV fell in the the same time frame catagory as TOTAN and was a victim of changing times. It was indeed a beautiful game.
POTC was a beautiful game with lots of toys...probably the last Stern produced at a reasonable price. But the gameplay was slow. People got tired of it. But in a big collection it really should be a part of it.
WH20...yup a beautiful game that was not appreciated at the time but does get better with LED lighting to fill in all the dark spots. But RS is NOT following the same path and never will. Too many ball hangups etc. And "Mick on a stick" is more of a joke than anything else.

I'm a total JJP fan and love my WOZ. But Hobbit simply did not hit my sweet spot. I'm not not banging it...just saying it did not appeal to me. I hope it sells like gangbusters so that JJP can give us even better games in the future.

#4178 9 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

SM was not poo pooed until the code was done. It was well received and appreciated more once the final code was done.
IM was chewed up and spit out first because most of thought it sucked and had been stripped down by Stern to increase profits. The only reason it turned into a second production run was that so few were sold that nobody could find one to play. Prices went up on scarcity alone and buyers thought they could flip them at a profit. Lots of those are already hitting the resale market and it does not look like there is much if any profit.
TOTAN happened near the end of the pinball era when they were clearing out MM's for $2800 NIB. Thats a hard comparison to make.
CV fell in the the same time frame catagory as TOTAN and was a victim of changing times. It was indeed a beautiful game.
POTC was a beautiful game with lots of toys...probably the last Stern produced at a reasonable price. But the gameplay was slow. People got tired of it. But in a big collection it really should be a part of it.
WH20...yup a beautiful game that was not appreciated at the time but does get better with LED lighting to fill in all the dark spots. But RS is NOT following the same path and never will. Too many ball hangups etc. And "Mick on a stick" is more of a joke than anything else.
I'm a total JJP fan and love my WOZ. But Hobbit simply did not hit my sweet spot. I'm not not banging it...just saying it did not appeal to me. I hope it sells like gangbusters so that JJP can give us even better games in the future.

Some nicely thought out responses, and agree with number 4. Ah, imagine the NIB sub $3k days. I'm in on the Hobbit, and will wait to see how Keefer uses the drops and diverter. I like the direction pinball is heading with P3, JJP, Heighway all trying to advance things. I also appreciate Stern for continuing the tried and true - it's nice to have the diversity to choose from.

#4179 9 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

Well I'm used to buying Stern LE's that don't exactly trump TH in terms of playfield and toys hence price seems fair to me, although obviously high but what else is new with NIB pins these days. Sorry but trying to compare the simplistic PF's of IM and Tron with what TH looks like right now is craziness. JMO

#4180 9 years ago

Hoping for a friday update

#4181 9 years ago

We are having a Hobbit and MMR Release Party on Sat 2/21 in Harrisburg PA area....

Details in this post :

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinballstar-hobbit-and-mmr-release-party-sat-221

#4182 9 years ago

I was lucky to see a short video of Smaug talking at the end of a ball and it was awesome. I can't wait to see the final version

#4183 9 years ago

Updates

Smaug002.jpgSmaug002.jpg Smaug003.jpgSmaug003.jpg Smaug005.jpgSmaug005.jpg Smaug001.jpgSmaug001.jpg
#4184 9 years ago

Teeth! Looks awesome!

#4185 9 years ago
Quoted from mummite:

Updates

Smaug002.jpg 126 KB

Smaug005.jpg 119 KB

Smaug003.jpg 114 KB

Smaug001.jpg 80 KB

Beat me to it.

I'de say Red Smaug just shot ahead by a mile. Thank you Jack. Glad I stuck it out on the LE

#4186 9 years ago

Smaug is actually starting to look bad ass!

#4187 9 years ago

HOLY COW THAT IS AWESOME!!!

#4188 9 years ago

I'm loving the original LE look of Smaug plus I dig the armor as well, glad I stuck with it.

#4189 9 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

Beat me to it.
I'de say Red Smaug just shot ahead by a mile. Thank you Jack. Glad I stuck it out on the LE

Yeah, damn I might have to buy the "extra" red Smaug now! It's too gold again on the SE...WTF?

#4190 9 years ago

Smaug looks great! Greenish pillars too! Can't wait to see the final version of the machine.

#4191 9 years ago

Looks awesome!

Also looks like an INSANE amount of work to paint all of these by hand. Everyone needs to send Matt some coffee if they want to get production finished quickly!

#4192 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Yeah, damn I might have to buy the "extra" red Smaug now! It's too gold again on the SE...WTF?

I think we have a choice of red or gold regardless of model that your ordered, correct??

#4193 9 years ago
Quoted from perryd:

I think we have a choice of red or gold regardless of model that your ordered, correct??

I thought it was "buy and extra head of the other type for $200 and it'll ship with your machine." No?

#4194 9 years ago

Looking good, Matt. Thanks!

#4195 9 years ago

Nice, teeth and pillars are looking sharp, definite improvements!

Did JJP say the eyes were going to light up, or am I making that up? It looks like maybe that idea was scrapped if so, those eyes don't look like they're able to be lit.

#4196 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Nice, teeth and pillars are looking sharp, definite improvements!
Did JJP say the eyes were going to light up, or am I making that up? It looks like maybe that idea was scrapped if so, those eyes don't look like they're able to be lit.

Eyes will light up in production games

#4197 9 years ago
Quoted from perryd:

if you ordered a Limited Edition it will come with the Red Smaug

if you ordered a Smaug Gold Edition then it will come with the Gold Smaug

you can order a replacement/additional Smaug in either color

Christopher
King Pin Games
Authorized Jersey Jack Distributor

#4198 9 years ago

Would really like to see a good photo of each head inside the pin to determine which I prefer.

#4199 9 years ago

Glad to hear that people are digging the updated look to the parts. Long hard road with all the requirements by WB and the can and can not's. But we have a finished product that I am happy with and glad to hear you guys like it too.

Thanks

#4200 9 years ago
Quoted from JerseyJen:

Eyes will light up in production games

Awesome, glad to hear that feature isn't being lost. Will the eyes look different that what's posted? Like are the LEDs visible or behind something painted like those eyes?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

9,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.50
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 22.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 10,044 posts in this topic. You are on page 84 of 201.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-update-1/page/84 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.