Topic Stats

• 10,044 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 714 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOB (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
No.gif
IMG_9476_(resized).JPG
47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 83 of 201.
#4101 5 years ago

The attention on the barrels is completely overruled by the floating book, which does not seem to match there artwork-wise. The lcd could have made the promised 'interactive apron'!

I wondered also why the not so elegant VUK wireform isn't covered by a pillar decoration piece...

#4102 5 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

I want a great pin not an ok pin. I want it to stay in my collection, but it won't last long if I have to keep staring at some of this (sorry to say) hodgepodge work.

Totally agree, we are all giving JJP the time and patience needed to clean up this game and make it the best it can be. I have faith that it will all fall into place, but I wish we had some more insight onto what is final and what will be changed on the game. My current thoughts is just as you said "hodgepodge" and that is how it feels. So here is hoping for a great update soon from JJP

#4103 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

LCD lies flat in the apron will the image not be of lesser quality due to the bad viewing angel?

Yeah, if you are 4' tall, I'm 6' 8". For most it should be a pretty straight on view.

#4104 5 years ago
Quoted from HENSBROOKER:

The attention on the barrels is completely overruled by the floating book, which does not seem to match there artwork-wise. The lcd could have made the promised 'interactive apron'!
I wondered also why the not so elegant VUK wireform isn't covered by a pillar decoration piece...

They were covered in earlier builds....and they looked terrible.

#4105 5 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

Yeah, if you are 4' tall, I'm 6' 8". For most it should be a pretty straight on view.

Oke, hope to see an update from JJP soon to show us what they have done with the unfinished areas.

#4106 5 years ago

For what it's worth.

On the JJP Google group, there's a thread discussing the placement of the LCD book. In this thread, someone named Andy posted this today: "Let's hope the design is done."

A few minutes later, Jack reply to Andy with: "Done! Best Regards, Jack"

#4107 5 years ago
Quoted from kidvid:

For what it's worth.
On the JJP Google group, there's a thread discussing the placement of the LCD book. In this thread, someone named Andy posted this today: "Let's hope the design is done."

Sounds like its up to the modders to finish the machine.

#4108 5 years ago
Quoted from kidvid:

For what it's worth.

I hope this doesn't mean "we've hid the wires"... but this is better than no news...

#4109 5 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

Sounds like its up to the modders to finish the machine.

Any major mods would be sad on a "no compromise" machine...

#4110 5 years ago
Quoted from kidvid:

For what it's worth.

My question is, who would post 'Let's hope the design is done" when there is so much that could be improved, or dare I say corrected.

#4111 5 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

My question is, who would post 'Let's hope the design is done" when there is so much that could be improved, or dare I say corrected.

I can't say why but I do know that he's a WOZ owner.

#4112 5 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

Andy.

#4113 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

Oke, hope to see an update from JJP soon to show us what they have done with the unfinished areas.

+1 hoping for an update soon with some significant improvements.

#4114 5 years ago

I'm getting getting a strong sense of Déjà vu. I can accept a moderate amount of delay if it means a better end product but if the machine is now "done" and we have seen all of the production version... and still no production schedule... I'm trying to stay positive.

#4115 5 years ago

This time we have a factory and people - so all we need are the later arriving parts.

Look at MMR - it took how long to rebuild an 18 year old game??

That's happening too......

#4116 5 years ago

So Jack do you think the final version of the pin will look different, even significantly different than the latest photos just posted? And I'm glad you have the factory and the people in place

#4117 5 years ago
Quoted from JerseyJack:

This time we have a factory and people - so all we need are the later arriving parts.
Look at MMR - it took how long to rebuild an 18 year old game??
That's happening too......

MMr delays are understandable, new platform and high expectations to live up to. They felt much of the same growing pains you experienced. Everyone get's a free pass 1st time around. I put the WoZ experience behind me the moment I doubled down on TH, having faith that WoZ was your "worst" effort. I'll reserve judgement on that score until I see the finished product. You did set a very high bar though. I hope I get to make that judgement early this year!!

#4118 5 years ago

How far is Hobbit away from production? Sorry I didnt want to read the entire thread. Interested buyer.

#4119 5 years ago
Quoted from DevilsTuner:

How far is Hobbit away from production? Sorry I didnt want to read the entire thread. Interested buyer.

You can read all 4113 posts and not have the answer.

#4120 5 years ago

is it still a year out before one can expect to just pick up a phone order and get one?

#4121 5 years ago
Quoted from DevilsTuner:

is it still a year out before one can expect to just pick up a phone order and get one?

No idea. At least six months I would guess until distributors have inventory.

#4122 5 years ago

Thank you for the pictures and video, Agima2000. Much appreciated.

I really think that the game is shaping up to be a real stunner. The wait is always hard but I truly believe it will be worth it.

Personally I think it looks spectacular now, in those pictures.

If one popbumber cap has become the center of attention for complaints, it bods well for this game

#4123 5 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

So Jack do you think the final version of the pin will look different, even significantly different than the latest photos just posted? And I'm glad you have the factory and the people in place

That's what I want to know, is it done or is there more to be revealed?
Wasn't there something going to be placed in the bag end shot or is that it as it stands now?

#4124 5 years ago
Quoted from Wamprat:

That's what I want to know, is it done or is there more to be revealed?
Wasn't there something going in the bag end shot or is that it?

In that JJP thread, Jack went on to say that he needs to build them. Not deal with more design by committee. So... it's DONE

#4125 5 years ago

It sounds to me that he is just waiting on an order for final parts so they can start production. If thats the case , I am very happy. At this point I just want to know when I will get my machine, Its been a cold and boring winter.

#4126 5 years ago

While it may be done the one they are showing was built a while ago so that might not be the final one.

#4127 5 years ago
Quoted from DevilsTuner:

I'm afraid you will be able to get one much easier than that... likely right HERE on pinside. How?

1. Strictly looking at the playfield, the game doesn't seem to have the "magic" WoZ did.
2. Fair consensus is Smaug is a disappointment that many are trying to find a way to "tolerate".
3. Many are hoping for modders to somehow fix some of the problems.... already!

I'll give JJP credit for going back to the drawing board on several elements after the initial public reception was overwhelmingly bad.... but I just don't see this being the homerun many were hoping for.

btw- I'm not blaming JJP for this not being all it could have been- I suspect much of this had to do with the licensor hand-cuffing JJP's design....

the result:
I think MANY will be happy with this game. However, I think quite a few will be parting with this one quickly and you will see MANY more "huo for sale" than you ever did with WoZ.

#4128 5 years ago

It's not possible to tell if it will be a hit or a miss until it's done. May I submit some examples..
SM - poo pooed until the code was done now they are highly prized.
IM - was chewed up and spit out at first, now we are lining up for seconds.
Totan - was considered a dog but try to find one under 5k now
CV - closed out at bargain basement prices, now fageddaboudit
POTC - was meh.. now hey!
Wh2o - B now an A title, same thing happening to RS
WoZ - was not received all that warmly at first but with the latest code, it's a sure keeper (wish I had kept mine now)
Even TSPP was a sleeper, we're wide awake now.

Time will tell the tale of TH. I'm in and will remain in until the code is complete. The hardware does need to be there but the sheer possibilities the JJP platform affords boggles the mind. It can be any number of games depending on who is programming it. Keith has a proven track record, I have every confidence it will be a cherished addition to any collection, if not off the bat, eventually. That said, I would like to see a couple changes before it starts rolling off the line.

#4129 5 years ago

I give JJP a lot of credit for making changes. I certainly wasn't the only person voicing complaints, but I definitely feel like my voice was heard.

I think at this point we need to give them a chance to present a final vision. We all know that code makes or breaks a game, and Keefer is on the case.

Means there isn't much to talk about for now, it's "done" but not out, so I'm sure the void will get filled with something. Some hints at the modes might not hurt, JUST SAYING JACK AND KEEFER.

#4130 5 years ago

I'm still happy with it the way it stands atm and look forward to getting my SE.

#4131 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I think at this point we need to give them a chance to present a final vision.

I agree, I am sure that JJP has a final that is better than what we have seen so far. They know that PF improvements will directly impact more sells - so they will give it their best shot. I really doubt that what we have seen lately is the final ...

#4132 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I agree, I am sure that JJP has a final that is better than what we have seen so far. They know that PF improvements will directly impact more sells - so they will give it their best shot. I really doubt that what we have seen lately is the final ...

Oh I bet it is. I'm not expecting any more changes, that's not what I meant.

I'm just saying, wait until you can actually play it, or at least see a proper gameplay video like if Bowen and PAPA can do one or something. Actual modes, a sense of progression, how does the game actually play.

I don't think there's going to be some kind of surprise reveal, but they should get a chance to show a more final product before you judge it further is all I'm saying.

#4133 5 years ago

I still doubt that what we have seen lately is the final! Perhaps it's close, but there was talk about teeth for smaug for an example. Or is that canceled.

#4134 5 years ago

I recognized that Jack didn't use "The Hobbit" in his comment ...
But I stay as optimistic as I'm with the Predator because I'm in in both

#4135 5 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

Totan - was considered a dog but try to find one under 5k now

I still consider it a dog. A very pretty dog. Kinda like a poodle... fun to play with here and there but no need to own one

#4136 5 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

I'm afraid you will be able to get one much easier than that... likely right HERE on pinside. How?
1. Strictly looking at the playfield, the game doesn't seem to have the "magic" WoZ did.
2. Fair consensus is Smaug is a disappointment that many are trying to find a way to "tolerate".
I'll give JJP credit for going back to the drawing board on several elements after the initial public reception was overwhelmingly bad.... but I just don't see this being the homerun many were hoping for.
btw- I'm not blaming JJP for this not being all it could have been- I suspect much of this had to do with the licensor hand-cuffing JJP's design....
the result:
I think MANY will be happy with this game. However, I think quite a few will be parting with this one quickly and you will see MANY more "huo for sale" than you ever did with WoZ.

I am not a fan of the PF art it seems so empty. The gold edition is better though.

#4137 5 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

I still doubt that what we have seen lately is the final! Perhaps it's close, but there was talk about teeth for smaug for an example. Or is that canceled.

I feel there will be some small additions on the final reveal, such as Smaug's teeth & his lit eyes, maybe improved sling axes, custom game # plaque added to the apron, covering exposed wires, etc, etc. But the ship has sailed on major design requests that people repeatedly keep bringing up, like moving the book LCD to the apron. As Jack has stated, the design is done. Time to start building these & getting first deliveries going by the end of Q1 2015.

#4138 5 years ago

Does the apron light up and inform the player on modes/status? This was mention awhile back in an interview w/Jack, but I do not see it implemented in these protypes. Anyone know for sure or was it mentioned already that it got cut?

#4139 5 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I feel there will be some small additions on the final reveal, such as Smaug's teeth & his lit eyes, maybe improved sling axes, custom game # plaque added to the apron, covering exposed wires, etc, etc. But the ship has sailed on major design requests that people repeatedly keep bringing up, like moving the book LCD to the apron. As Jack has stated, the design is done. Time to start building these & getting first deliveries going by the end of Q1 2015.

I feel the same way. That doesn't mean I like it.

#4140 5 years ago
Quoted from PaulCoff:

Does the apron light up and inform the player on modes/status? This was mention awhile back in an interview w/Jack, but I do not see it implemented in these protypes. Anyone know for sure or was it mentioned already that it got cut?

They moved on from that idea & put the map in the upper RT corner of the backbox LCD. It shows your progress on your quest through Middle Earth. Go to the 1:15 mark of the video & you can see how it might be implemented. Works for me.

#4141 5 years ago

I wonder if the 1.6 million dollar lawsuit against JJP will have an impact on the release of Hobbit?

#4142 5 years ago
Quoted from Expletive:

I wonder if the 1.6 million dollar lawsuit against JJP will have an impact on the release of Hobbit?

Please don't bring the trash in here.

#4143 5 years ago
Quoted from Expletive:

Troll go away! There's a specific thread made just for you!

#4144 5 years ago
Quoted from Expletive:

Go bang your pots and pans somewhere else, or the Captain will be forced to keel-haul you!

#4145 5 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

» YouTube video
They moved on from that idea & put the map in the upper RT corner of the backbox LCD. It shows your progress on your quest through Middle Earth. Go to the 1:15 mark of the video & you can see how it might be implemented. Works for me.

The interface looks awesome...a step up from WOZ, which was already pretty sweet. Great job JP and team.

#4146 5 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

the result:

I agree with you.

And if these rumors are true, that no tangible changes are being done to the playfield, then I'd be looking to sell or get my money back. But here is the predicament for us Canadians; now that our dollar has lost almost 20%... if we wanted to get get our money back and get some other "new" pinball, it would cost us about 1700$ more! (At least for those that were in early on the purchase, like me)

So if I do want to get a NIB pin, it looks like my options are drying up...may as well suck it up, get The Hodgepodge and trade it for another new pin and not lose on the exchange rate.

If that's the case, I may as well jump on the everything is awesome bandwagon and promote it so I get a better trade...

Everything is AWESOME!

#4147 5 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

But here is the predicament for us Canadians; now that our dollar has lost almost 20%... if we wanted to get get our money back and get some other "new" pinball, it would cost us about 1700$ more! (At least for those that were in early on the purchase, like me)

If you preordered thru JJP you would (should?) be refunded in USD so no issue.

If you preordered domestically (from who? does Starburst distribute JJP?) in CDN dollars that would be unfortunate. But on the upside, you would be getting the machine for the old CDN price and could sell it into the US somewhat below the USD MSRP and still make CDN profit.

#4148 5 years ago

Someone with computer skills needs to put the bashing WOZ threads before it was released and the bashing hobbit threads side by side. Then the positive WOZ threads when it was released side by side when the hobbit is released to see how many people change their opinions. Give it a chance. Play it with a finished code. If u hate it then okay. It will be at the Allentown show so hopefully it's a great game.

#4149 5 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Someone with computer skills needs to put the bashing WOZ threads before it was released and the bashing hobbit threads side by side. Then the positive WOZ threads when it was released side by side when the hobbit is released to see how many people change their opinions. Give it a chance. Play it with a finished code. If u hate it then okay. It will be at the Allentown show so hopefully it's a great game.

I'm sure code will be good. Expected a better presentation to the package though...

#4150 5 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

yep, works for me also. This is a great video showing off how well the LCD will be integrated into the game. I am hoping the entire game has an adventure feel to it and players are moving through the story of the 3 films in order with set objectives.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 11.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 83 of 201.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside