Topic Stats

• 10,044 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 714 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOB (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
No.gif
IMG_9476_(resized).JPG
47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 81 of 201.
#4001 5 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

This whole string is getting stale.
I want more talk on the features and what people think about them.
I may as well start...
Ramp diverter: I like it. It gives options. Not sure if it will be player controlled or not. It could have been better if it was controlled by Smaug himself (seemed like a good idea).
Pop up monsters: Potential to be awesome if programmed properly! At worst, an annoyance that just keeps getting in the way of flow.
Playfield LCD: Nice to have but not a must. I guess it depends on how it is used. Right now it's taking away from the waterfall/barrel scene may have been better placed in the apron, imho.
Drops targets:I like them, and being individually controlled is even better...but is it too much when you add in the pop up monsters?
Spinners: Always cool
Ramps: I think they are very good (love metal/wireform!) even if they are a bit symmetrical to each other. Would be better if you could hit one of them smoothly with the upper flipper...
Ball lock area: Would have been nice to see Smaugs claw hold back a few balls waiting to get released (even better would have been to see Smaug fire them out...but we have all bashed that idea enough). Instead looks like we'll have to settle for the Indiana Jones ball tumble theme...
Jet Bumpers/ barrel area: Was looking pretty good until the mini LCD squashed it. Still needs some wall dressing to make it look more like the waterfalls battle area. (The "modders" shouldn't have to take care of it)
Artwork: Overall no complaints, LE or SE both great.
Right Outlane: Not your regular plain drain-out. It has a Ball save feature, so that is good.
Left outlane: Kickback save and windlance feature... still a bit of a mystery what is going on here..may be interesting if you have to use the third flipper as a "one timer" to shoot Smaug... (but I thought JJP wasn't allowed to shoot Smaug...hmmm )
Backglass LCD: Way cool and a nice feature. Seems to be getting better too.
Third flipper: ........ I've beat that dead horse enough...
Shot variety: Depends how you look at it...lots if you count every single drop and pop up target, or average if you just count the symmetrical shots to the ramps, loops and holes. Downside, many of the shots seem identical i.e left/right ramp, left/right loop, left/right scoop, left/right pop ups...so I do like the added shot to the jet bumpers for that reason, however, i don't know if that shot looks very interesting...hard to say.
Smaug..... it's ok but still underwhelming...that has been beat to death...
Bagend area... not sure if it qualifies as an area just yet...hoping something to look at there...
Programming/code: Not there yet but I'm sure will be excellent!
I believe a persons overall impression on the game can be swayed in one direction or the other simply if the individual has been following this project from the beginning or not. If you were following from the beginning (and you were like me) I let myself get swept away with all the dialogue and the hints (real or not) of a truly impressive and interactive dragon (so the individual looks at it more critically). If you started following later you got a good looking machine that has some nice features (expectations were not over hyped).
Anyways, that's just a quick dump of ideas didn't hit everything. (ummm...now that I look at it, not such a quick dump...sorry)
Feel free to blast away as only pinside can.
For the record, I'm fully paid on the Hobbit but ... keeping my options open.

This is a pretty acurate summary of how I feel. I'm very excited about the pin. I do think the river pops need to be dressed up and the book maybe moved again but I'm sure it will be fine. I'd imagine I'll be up for a mod which makes that area better. I'd like to see the guy back in the barrel again. My guess is once it is in my house it will be overwhelming as an entire package and small things will be overlooked/forgiven easier than here on the forum.

#4002 5 years ago

Regarding the shot between the pops...

The shot as it is today feels like a waste of space in my opinion. I think that area would benefit from a saucer type shot with kick out like the wizard shot in WOZ. That type of shot feels much more meaningful and interesting then just shooting between an open area and having an opto pick up the shot.

The ball rarely stops in TH and a saucer shot would briefly allow it to so that the player can look at the mini LCD or main LCD for certain notifications. The saucer shot would be perfect for collecting rewards, starting modes, and more while allowing the player to see some cool animations in the process.

#4003 5 years ago

As someone who is in the queue to get one of these, this is something that worries me a lot. I'd like it if the game were to slow down or stop at the appropriate moments so I can enjoy some of the special effects shown on the LCD.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Regarding the shot between the pops...
The shot as it is today feels like a waste of space in my opinion. I think that area would benefit from a saucer type shot with kick out like the wizard shot in WOZ. That type of shot feels much more meaningful and interesting then just shooting between an open area and having an opto pick up the shot.
The ball rarely stops in TH and a saucer shot would briefly allow it to so that the player can look at the mini LCD or main LCD for certain notifications. The saucer shot would be perfect for collecting rewards, starting modes, and more while allowing the player to see some cool animations in the process.

#4004 5 years ago
Quoted from kidvid:

As someone who is in the queue to get one of these, this is something that worries me a lot. I'd like it if the game were to slow down or stop at the appropriate moments so I can enjoy some of the special effects shown on the LCD.

I enjoy watching the LCD when someone else is playing

Edit: Whoa post 4000

#4005 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The ball rarely stops in TH

Great news.

#4006 5 years ago
Quoted from B9:

Whoa post 4000

58354974.jpg
#4007 5 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

I assume the button is for the windlance/kickback fire option...it could also be for the diverter but I don't think so (it would be awkward for that use, imagine playing Shadow with the diverter buttons on the lockdown bar).

I am curious how this button works as well. If it's just to fire the windlance, its seems under utilized. I always thought this would be for controlling the top divertor, but it is in an odd place for that.

I also agree with others comments on the changes to the bang end shot with the opto to the pops. It's not dressed up at all no molds and I am not seeing what this adds to the entire picture and flow of the game? I guess we will wait and see. Has anyone heard if more updates and changes are coming anytime soon? Or is what we are seeing now and @ the trade shows what will be the final game?

#4008 5 years ago
Quoted from kidvid:

I'm sure Keith already has some ways to do it if needed. The ball can still be held by the two magnets, at the two VUKs, the kick back due to the pop up peg, and the hole to the subway where the ball drops down from the Smaug divertor.

#4009 5 years ago
Quoted from mummite:

I am curious how this button works as well. If it's just to fire the windlance, its seems under utilized. I always thought this would be for controlling the top divertor, but it is in an odd place for that.

For some reason I imagine using it to whack down the pop-ups, kind of like whack-a-mole.

#4010 5 years ago
Quoted from B9:

For some reason I imagine using it to whack down the pop-ups, kind of like whack-a-mole.

Like bombs in MM. I could see that as one use.

#4011 5 years ago

Hopefully, it's to put the ring on and take it off. Like you only get 30 seconds per game (you can earn more somehow) to wear it, but when you have it "on" you have certain advantages/disadvantages during play. That would be cool!

#4012 5 years ago
Quoted from Euchrid:

Hopefully, it's to put the ring on and take it off. Like you only get 30 seconds per game (you can earn more somehow) to wear it, but when you have it "on" you have certain advantages/disadvantages during play. That would be cool!

Better yet, makes you disappear and someone thinks nobody is playing the game and tries to stick quarters in your butt.

#4013 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Better yet, makes you disappear and someone thinks nobody is playing the game and tries to stick quarters in your butt.

Now that's funny, and you could make a little money at the same time!!!

#4014 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I would probably prefer a bill validator on said machine...

I think...

#4015 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

I would probably prefer a bill validator on said machine...

I think...

Get yourself a paper cut on your asshole and then answer that question again.

#4016 5 years ago
Quoted from Euchrid:

That is a very good idea.

#4017 5 years ago
Quoted from Euchrid:

I am trying to think of a few things that could be used for:

1. When activated for the next 10 seconds you get shoot again on a drain.
2. Automatically scores a missing target (like the last roll over to start a lock), or a popup target on a hurry up.
3. If Smuag was blocking a ramp using a diverter this could trip it back (essentially letting you get by it)

#4018 5 years ago

I have one order and its looks great but i have just had one question. Every video I see no one can make the ramp shot. A few times yes but looks like it takes a lot of effort to get it there. Thoughts?

#4019 5 years ago

I played it at Streamwood before Expo. No problem making lots of ramp shots.

LTG : )™

#4020 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I played it at Streamwood before Expo. No problem making lots of ramp shots.

Thanks. I guess maybe the people playing in the videos suck. Jusk kidding.

#4021 5 years ago

I played it at Dutch pinball open, no problem.

#4022 5 years ago
Quoted from May:

I played it at Dutch pinball open, no problem.

Is the pin fun? Just hoping i did not waste my $$$. This is my first NIB..

#4023 5 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Is the pin fun?

I had a blast playing it. Get other opinions or try it yourself if you can.

I'm not a great player and I look for the fun factor. It reminded me a lot of a Mark Ritchie pin. Fish Tales, Kingpin, Indiana Jones. I really liked it.

#4024 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I had a blast playing it. Get other opinions or try it yourself if you can.
I'm not a great player and I look for the fun factor. It reminded me a lot of a Mark Ritchie pin. Fish Tales, Kingpin, Indiana Jones. I really liked it.

I wish it was local to try. Maybe it will be in Allentown so i can try it out. I like hitting things like:

MM - Castle
AFM - Ship

This game just has a ramp in the middle. Wish it was the Smaug you were hitting.

#4025 5 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Get yourself a paper cut on your asshole and then answer that question again.

to get a paper cut, that would have to be some really new money.

#4026 5 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I wish it was local to try. Maybe it will be in Allentown so i can try it out. I like hitting things like:
MM - Castle
AFM - Ship
This game just has a ramp in the middle. Wish it was the Smaug you were hitting.

Pinball Star will have a hobbit at Allentown for sure. If not Pintastic New England will have one I can guaranty that.

#4027 5 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Pinball Star will have a hobbit at Allentown for sure. If now Pintastic New England will have one I can guaranty that.

I will be at Allentown for sure. Looking forward to it. If i don't like what i see i will just sell it.

#4028 5 years ago

Here is one picture from the Hobbit photo shoot. Art work looks amazing! Oh and Jack looks good to. Some of that grey hair that came in from WOZ has turned black again from Hobbit.

jack-hobbit.jpg

#4029 5 years ago

Looks great, can't wait to play it.

#4030 5 years ago

That really does look absolutely gorgeous. I'm talking TOM, TOTAN, CV gorgeous!

#4032 5 years ago

The complete "Bag End area / toy" seems vaporized... Correct?

#4033 5 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Some of that grey hair that came in from WOZ has turned black again from Hobbit.

image.jpg

#4034 5 years ago

Top of back box is obscured. Looks like a light up there?

#4035 5 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

Top of back box is obscured. Looks like a light up there?

just a decal

#4036 5 years ago

If it just a decal, I would prefer it just be off and stay black along the top - like WOZ. IF it is a decal

#4037 5 years ago

It's a decal of the image that is over the door way of the mountain when they first walk inside. If you watch the second movie you will see it when they enter the mountain. I believe it is the mountain itself.

#4038 5 years ago

That's weak if so...why put a distracting decal there? I think it's a flasher.

#4039 5 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Agree, it should at least be that...

#4040 5 years ago

Game looks absolutely stunning. Needs gold mirror blades like my LOTR.

#4041 5 years ago

The photo is the SE cabinet with the standard, not gold covered, smaug?

#4042 5 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

The photo is the SE cabinet with the standard, not gold covered, smaug?

Nope, that's the gold Smaug...it's just gold highlights. Looks great! Much better than that all gold prototype they had.

#4043 5 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

With the way Smaug met our expectations and hopes so well, I am sure it's just a decal. No point in setting us up for disappointment.

#4044 5 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Nope, that's the gold Smaug...it's just gold highlights. Looks great! Much better than that all gold prototype they had.

Agreed, it may even look better than the all red one now. If only by just a hair.

#4045 5 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

Agreed, it may even look better than the all red one now. If only by just a hair.

Yep...more texture pops with the highlights. The regular/LE one is too one-dimensional red.

#4046 5 years ago

Looks like a classy adult machine. Book imo would have been better placed in the apron if possible.

#4047 5 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

Looks like a classy adult machine. Book imo would have been better placed in the apron if possible.

Totally agree on this. The idea is cool, but the frame just looks cheesy. Putting it in the apron and fleshing out that whole area like Rapids would have been a lot more striking.

#4048 5 years ago

More pics and more videos please if possible.

#4049 5 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

It's a decal!

#4050 5 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Pinball Star will have a hobbit at Allentown for sure. If not Pintastic New England will have one I can guaranty that.

YES, PinballSTAR Amusements will have a super Hobbit display at Allentown ! Here's our post from the Allentown thread... Taking Hobbit orders and we have extra Smaugs we purchased before 12/31 to sell ! : )

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Expect a MUCH bigger and better show this year at Allentown Pinfest !!! Looking forward to Ivan's announcements !

PinballSTAR Amusements will be there again and we will once again be adding to the lineup of new games we will have available for everyone to play / purchase... We are distributors for more companies than last year and might even add another one or two by showtime : ).... Hopefully, I can continue to have our booth be the place you can see some of the newest games from the new manufacturers without having to fly to Chicago ! As we have in the past two years with WOZ and AMH we will again have the NEWEST must see games in our booth, including THE HOBBIT and MEDIEVAL MADNESS REMAKE.

Expect many of these games in our booth NEW IN BOX ready to take home as well as to try out...
Jersey Jack Pinball -
Wizard of Oz
The Hobbit
Planetary Pinball -
Medieval Madness Remake
Spooky Pinball -
America's Most Haunted
Virtuapin

... and maybe another one or two boutique companies we are now in discussions with to represent...
And maybe I'll bring the creepy dancing puppets machine again ! lol

If you would like to pre-order any games above give us a call maybe delivery / pickup at the show can be arranged !

Ivan - I'm gonna need a bigger boat !!! lol

Joe Newhart
PinballSTAR Amusements
Sales@PinballSTAR.com
570-357-0042

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
£ 50.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 29.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 81 of 201.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside