Topic Stats

• 10,044 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 714 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOB (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
No.gif
IMG_9476_(resized).JPG
47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 79 of 201.
#3901 4 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

The JJP threads seem to stay alive longer because JJP interacts on the forum and responds.

... and announces the game 2+ years before it is being produced, whereas Stern announces and releases in 5 weeks. Just an observation.

#3902 4 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

... and announces the game 2+ years before it is being produced, whereas Stern announces and releases in 5 weeks. Just an observation.

#3903 4 years ago

Stern releases the game then spends 2+ years working on the code

#3904 4 years ago
Quoted from alichino:

#3905 4 years ago
Quoted from alichino:

...and never finishes it.

#3906 4 years ago
Quoted from pninja005:

For me the main issue seems to be the distance from the upper side to the flippers is too long. You get a feeling the ball is slowmo when you wait it to come back to the flippers.

I got several plays in on the Hobbit back at Chicago Expo, including a long one ball game that involved many successful ramp shots. I think the game was leveled well, and they may have had the flipper strength adjusted a bit differently from what you described. What I can say is that I had no trouble making the ramp shots from the lower flippers (assuming good aim), and it didn't seem to me like a long wait for the ball to return from the ramps. So I think the flipper strength setting may be key here. Since that is an owner adjustable feature in the game, you can set it to fit your preferences!

#3907 4 years ago

Agreed. Some of the complaints I've read so far seem unjustified. Difficulty making the ramps? Just increase the flipper strength. Game seems slow? Increase the pitch to your liking. These types of gripes can all be adjusted during setup.

#3908 4 years ago
Quoted from alichino:

WOZ didn't ship with complete code. I just updated the os on my phone. We live in an era of evolving software.

#3909 4 years ago

Ok for all you people arguing over drop targets: #1 A Drop target is still a Drop taget no matter how you look at it. It goes UP, and it goes DOWN. It's been doing that since the creation of pinball. I don't think a lot of people care if it goes up or down on it's own. It does make it a little more of a challenge but it's not a big game changer. It still looks like a drop target. #2 If you dont like the drop targets then stop bashing JJP and just don't buy the game. it's that simple. I'm not a fan of a thousand drop targets but I played the game at Automated and I loved it. I had no problem with the ramps or the flow and had a blast with the bash toys (PoP up's) and this was even without the updated codes. JJP is a great start up company. There were mistakes made with WOZ and he even stated most mistakes were corrected. Every Pinball machine is different so every machine will have it's own Mistakes or ups and downs. no one is perfect but from what I can see Jack tries to appease everyone that has a stake in the company and games that he is building. I am sure over time he will get the buisness end of things perfected. ie. release dates and such. The game is great and if your in it then be patient because I have faith it will only get better. If your not in it then I'ts simple STFU..........Ok carry on.

#3910 4 years ago
Quoted from DylanFan71:

WOZ didn't ship with complete code. I just updated the os on my phone. We live in an era of evolving software.

Apples and oranges though. We completed woz quickly with multiple updates monthly in the beginning to every 45 days towards the end with people in the loop every step of the way and no ambiguity about work being performed.

#3911 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinister:

Ok for all you people arguing over drop targets: #1 A Drop target is still a Drop taget no matter how you look at it. It goes UP, and it goes DOWN. It's been doing that since the creation of pinball. I don't think a lot of people care if it goes up or down on it's own. It does make it a little more of a challenge but it's not a big game changer. It still looks like a drop target. #2 If you dont like the drop targets then stop bashing JJP and just don't buy the game. it's that simple. I'm not a fan of a thousand drop targets but I played the game at Automated and I loved it. I had no problem with the ramps or the flow and had a blast with the bash toys (PoP up's) and this was even without the updated codes. JJP is a great start up company. There were mistakes made with WOZ and he even stated most mistakes were corrected. Every Pinball machine is different so every machine will have it's own Mistakes or ups and downs. no one is perfect but from what I can see Jack tries to appease everyone that has a stake in the company and games that he is building. I am sure over time he will get the buisness end of things perfected. ie. release dates and such. The game is great and if your in it then be patient because I have faith it will only get better. If your not in it then I'ts simple STFU..........Ok carry on.

I'm in and am willing to take the chance it will be a great game. But I sure don't want everyone else to STFU. Pinside would be pretty boring if you had to own the game to comment. Just think of the ignore button as the STFU botton.

#3912 4 years ago
Quoted from DylanFan71:

Oh yeah. Not saying that WoZ came out the door with completed code, though I'd argue they did a much better job at updating it, but saying that Sterns are 'complete' five weeks after announcing a title is pretty far from true too. TWD came out months ago, and the code is still in its baby stages. Steve Ritchie has said that ST code isn't complete yet, and that came out two years ago.

We also live in an era of unfinished games. Just because a game is physically in your local arcade doesn't mean it has actually finished 'shipping'. My response was just pointing out that Sterns are far from done even though they're shipped.

#3913 4 years ago

I don't think this video from EAG has been posted yet

#3914 4 years ago
Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

Well its supposedly an easy thing to add back but right now it's not that way, I hope they change it back, we will find out soon enough.

I really hope he can be rotated because it looks stupid with him turned 1/2 way like that. He may as well not more at this point. . .

#3915 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Apples and oranges though. We completed woz quickly with multiple updates monthly in the beginning to every 45 days towards the end with people in the loop every step of the way and no ambiguity about work being performed.

True. I enjoyed the updates while I had my WOZ and will enjoy the progression of The Hobbit until it is finished.

#3916 4 years ago
Quoted from B9:

» YouTube video

Cool...that yellow MMr armor in the background bugs me. Uggghhh. Glad Hobbit gold looks great and not like that yellow color.

#3917 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Cool...that yellow MMr armor in the background bugs me. Uggghhh. Glad Hobbit gold looks great and not like that yellow color.

I was waiting for someone to notice that. You can see the monumental difference between the two.

#3918 4 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Agreed. Some of the complaints I've read so far seem unjustified. Difficulty making the ramps? Just increase the flipper strength. Game seems slow? Increase the pitch to your liking. These types of gripes can all be adjusted during setup.

So why do they set it up wrong at an expo show?

#3919 4 years ago
Quoted from pninja005:

So why do they set it up wrong on an expo show?

Subjective. I watch one video where people are blasting the ramps and the ball is moving fast as can be and another where someone can't make a ramp shot to save their life. We could increase the pitch all the way and increase the flippers to a ridiculous strength and all that does is make the game significantly harder and people only get one ball.

it doesn't make sense to have someone play a one ball game only to have it drain 10 seconds after it's launched. The game is purposefully set up so people can demo the features.

#3920 4 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

I'm in and am willing to take the chance it will be a great game. But I sure don't want everyone else to STFU. Pinside would be pretty boring if you had to own the game to comment. Just think of the ignore button as the STFU botton.

Lucky I do agree. It wasnt really meant to STFU it was meant as a move on to the subject heading. We are looking for updates are we not? My Pin is paid for, I want to play as much as everyone here but im willing to wait so that JJP gets it right. How ever I would also like updates every know and then since the 3rd movie has been released and there should be no secrets anymore.

#3921 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

In the video (post 3909), is that seaside bronze trim or gold?
Whatever it is, it does look better than the MMr gold for Hobbit.

#3922 4 years ago
Quoted from B9:

» YouTube video

Jack, if your listening. Can we please get an option in the code to add a zero or 2 to the tail end of the points scoring. No one should be bothered by this, if you don't care about what the scores look like relating to your other games, just leave it default.

If it does, you can add a zero or 2, should be simple to code and not piss anyone off. Since code is pretty much the only thing that will be changing at this point. Certainly there are more important updates to worry about, but I'll settle for the option in an update later, that's fine.

I don't need scores in the billions or in crazy land like AFM, but 4000 points from 1 decent ball? Even some old EM's aren't that stingy.

Before everyone jumps on me, I realize it doesn't "really" matter, but the smaller scores just don't feel right to me.

#3923 4 years ago

I think the first thing I'll do if I still decide to take delivery of my game.. is get rid of those stupid (purple?) cheap paper thin weapons coming out of the sling shots.. just awful!

#3924 4 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

Jack, if your listening. Can we please get an option in the code to add a zero or 2 to the tail end of the points scoring. No one should be bothered by this, if you don't care about what the scores look like relating to your other games, just leave it default.
If it does, you can add a zero or 2, should be simple to code and not piss anyone off. Since code is pretty much the only thing that will be changing at this point, I'll settle for the option in an update later, that's fine.

Why? i guess i don't understand what the difference is? the score is subjective to the other scores on the game, not the scores on the games next to it. I think having a 1,000,000,000 score on AFM looks crazy on its own, but in the sense of the game itself (and the other scores relative to it), it fits fine.

#3925 4 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

Why? i guess i don't understand what the difference is? the score is subjective to the other scores on the game, not the scores on the games next to it. I think having a 1,000,000,000 score on AFM looks crazy on its own, but in the sense of the game itself (and the other scores relative to it), it fits fine.

I agree about AFM, which is why I edited my post to contain more information. Your looking at the other ridiculous side of the spectrum yes. I pointed out, I am not looking for that either.

Let's say I step away from a ball that I just played for 5 minutes and only have 4000 points, yet that same ball on LOTR I step away after 5 minutes and have 13 million points. Even though, yes the scores are relative and totally unrelated to each other, I get that... I still step away from the (lets say WOZ) and think... Damn I worked awfully hard for 4000 points.

#3926 4 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

In the video (post 3909), is that seaside bronze trim or gold?
Whatever it is, it does look better than the MMr gold for Hobbit.

That's the gold...seaside bronze looks almost black and is dull (no sparkle).

#3927 4 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

I agree about AFM, which is why I edited my post to contain more information. Your looking at the other ridiculous side of the spectrum yes. Which I pointed out, not looking for that either. When I step away from a ball that I just played for 5 minutes and only have 4000 points, yet that same ball on LOTR I step away after 5 minutes and have 13 million points. Even though, yes the scores are relative, I get that... I still step away from the (lets say WOZ) and think... Damn I worked awfully hard for 4000 points.

You'll get used to it quick...I step away from WOZ and know a score of 500,000 is a great game (for me) and it's VERY satisfying. I don't need it to be 5,000,000 or 50,000,000 or higher to get that feeling.

#3928 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Subjective. I watch one video where people are blasting the ramps and the ball is moving fast as can be and another where someone can't make a ramp shot to save their life. We could increase the pitch all the way and increase the flippers to a ridiculous strength and all that does is make the game significantly harder and people only get one ball.
it doesn't make sense to have someone play a one ball game only to have it drain 10 seconds after it's launched. The game is purposefully set up so people can demo the features.

Game set-up sounds similar to WOZ when it was first revealed at the shows. It left some people with a bad impression of the gameplay.

How about a timed game instead of a one ball game for shows? That way everyone would get the same amount of play and the game could be set-up steeper and with stronger flippers.

#3929 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

You'll get used to it quick...I step away from WOZ and know a score of 500,000 is a great game (for me) and it's VERY satisfying. I don't need it to be 5,000,000 or 50,000,000 or higher to get that feeling.

I can agree with that also, but again I am playing advocate for people who don't own it and may only play it occasionally on location.

I personally, can get over the scoring. But I buy my machine for everyone I know to come over and enjoy.

And as dumb as it might be, the question will get asked. "Why are the scores on this so low?" , I do better at LOTR than (insert lower scoring pin here). [Even though they may have actually done better at the lower scoring game]

I also don't get what the big deal is about asking for this relatively simple option to be added to the code. If you don't like the option, don't use it Just like 5 balls instead of 3. (I don't use 5 ball, just using that as a reference)

All that being said, I can get over it if necessary.

#3930 4 years ago

witty comeback.

#3931 4 years ago
Quoted from B9:

» YouTube video

I wish Stern and JJP would hire Bowen to make decent videos.

#3932 4 years ago

My kids always ask me for a reference score when playing a new game. They'll ask, "Does this game score in the Millions, or in the hundred Millions?? What's a good score for THIS game?"

It's like saying, "Those soccer players only got 2 points??!! The basketball team got over one hundred!! Soccer players must suck".

I love that WOZ is such a low scoring game. It's unique in that way in the modern age.

#3933 4 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

I wish Stern and JJP would hire Bowen to make decent videos.

Yes! PAPA did a great job with that introductory video of TBL gameplay.

#3934 4 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

I can agree with that also, but again I am playing advocate for people who don't own it and may only play it occasionally on location.
I personally, can get over the scoring. But I buy my machine for everyone I know to come over and enjoy.
And as dumb as it might be, the question will get asked. "Why are the scores on this so low?" , I do better at LOTR than (insert lower scoring pin here). [Even though they may have actually done better at the lower scoring game]
I also don't get what the big deal is about asking for this relatively simple option to be added to the code. If you don't like the option, don't use it Just like 5 balls instead of 3. (I don't use 5 ball, just using that as a reference)
All that being said, I can get over it if necessary.

The other thing to remember is when WOZ came out everyone was scoring 10-30k because there just wasn't anything in the code to allow for big points. It was basic shot scoring and a few multiball multipliers. Now a good game on woz is 1.5MM a fantastic game is 3MM. The scoring will change and will be larger. It won't be in the billions or probably even tens of millions but it won't leave you feeling like you didn't accomplish anything either

#3935 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

The other thing to remember is when WOZ came out everyone was scoring 10-30k because there just wasn't anything in the code to allow for big points. It was basic shot scoring and a few multiball multipliers. Now a good game on woz is 1.5MM a fantastic game is 3MM. The scoring will change and will be larger. It won't be in the billions or probably even tens of millions but it won't leave you feeling like you didn't accomplish anything either

Well that sounds fair. Good point. I haven't actually played WOZ lately with any new code.

*Note from Mr. Subliminal* (I'de still like the option to add 1 zero)

#3936 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Now a good game on woz is 1.5MM a fantastic game is 3MM.

#3937 4 years ago
Quoted from alichino:

but saying that Sterns are 'complete' five weeks after announcing a title is pretty far from true too.

Who made that claim? They obviously have not been paying attention. Currently no pinball manufacturers ship a game with completed code. None.

I hope that changes.

#3938 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

I really enjoy getting updates on my pins. I also appreciated the communication from you and JJP. This is something that Stern needs to work on. Also, I would rather have the game in my house to play than wait another year for the game code to be updated. I am really glad JJP decided to ship games with incomplete code. I certainly would have pulled the plug if I was told I needed to wait another year.

#3939 4 years ago

Yeah dave but i suck something fierce and never get close to that

#3940 4 years ago

If I had a 1.5 mil game on Woz I would faint.

Ken

#3941 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballrebel:

If I had a 1.5 mil game on Woz I would faint.
Ken

You and me both. I have thousands of games on it and I think I broke 1MM once?

#3942 4 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

Can we please get an option in the code to add a zero or 2 to the tail end of the points scoring

tack on a sticky not with two zeros if you need it

#3943 4 years ago

Sure I may have exploited the Haunted Multiball scoring bug to get such a high score but I've at least got a picture

219026.jpg
#3944 4 years ago

Anything over 1M on WOZ is a very,very good game, a lot of things have to come together to get to that point.

#3945 4 years ago
Quoted from B9:

tack on a sticky not with two zeros if you need it

Or they could add an option in the menu that would take probably 15 seconds to code.

X10 Scoring On/Off

#3946 4 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

Or they could add an option in the menu that would take probably 15 seconds to code.
X10 Scoring On/Off

But it's not the vision of the programmers.

#3947 4 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

X10 Scoring On/Off

And what would it change? Then anything over 10M would be a very, very good game.

#3948 4 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

X10 Scoring On/Off

No offense, but this is seriously one of the dumbest requests I've ever heard. It is literally no different than if I asked for someone to program a multiplier into MM scoring so it had super high scores like AFM.

Is it dumb that AFM scores are so high? Yeah, kinda. But frankly, why do other games need games in the millions? You could literally create a game with 1 point targets and 50 point jackpots. Who cares? As long as the scores within the game itself are scaled well against each other, who the hell cares how exponentially large or small they are compared to other games.

As someone else mentioned, if for some odd reason it bugs you that much, 4 Post-It notes and a Sharpie serves the exact same purpose.

#3949 4 years ago

I like millions more because of the sound and call outs are better.

Some circus bloke screaming 100 million!

Or some guy, hey, you just won 10 points.

I like the first one way more.

#3950 4 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

I like millions more because of the sound and call outs are better.
Some circus bloke screaming 100 million!
Or some guy, hey, you just won 10 points.
I like the first one way more.

Easy way around that...LOTR, for example has arguably the best jackpot call outs ever and not once is the actual jackpot score screamed out in number of points. Suuuuuppppeerrrr Jackpot, whooaaahohoho! Actually, I can't think of any game that blurts out a score except BSD Thiiiirrty Million!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
€ 159.00
Cabinet - Toppers
FlipperLED
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 79 of 201.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside