Topic Stats

• 10,044 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 714 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOB (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
No.gif
IMG_9476_(resized).JPG
47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 78 of 201.
#3851 5 years ago

BTW, TH looks like it could be a great game. Can we all just stop the chest beating and appreciate all the new games we have coming?

#3852 5 years ago

Yes. One thing all you egomaniacs can agree on: I still suck and have no ego of my own.

Now can't we all just get along?

#3853 5 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Thank you! You just made my point for me! The post I was replying to accused Stern of recycling olds parts, like a cannon. My post was filled with irony and you just bolstered my case.
Thank you again for your cooperation.

They do recycle old parts. The twd crossbow is identical to the mech from Austin powers. How is that debatable? That said comparing it to components that make up a pinball machine is inane.

#3854 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

They do recycle old parts. The twd crossbow is identical to the mech from Austin Powers. How is that debatable? That said comparing it to components that make up a pinball machine is inane.

And you added slingshots and flippers.

You're not helping your case.

#3855 5 years ago

Coke vs Pepsi, Chevy vs Ford, Stern vs JJP.....

Passion from fans on both sides. The fact that there are 2 companies creating such passion can be good for pinball. However, it can get old listening to the arguments and bashing over who is best.

#3856 5 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

2. Reset all up and individual trip down (Meteor-style and 8 Ball Deluxe-style - the most common CPU-controlled targets)

FYI, Xenon also has these type of drop targets, which I thought were pretty cool back in the day. JJP does indeed seem to take this to the next level on Hobbit, with banks of drops that have both up/down CPU controlled action. I can imagine a TON of cool modes with this tech. We have roving shots now - imagine a roving drop target.

#3857 5 years ago

#3858 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

They do recycle old parts. The twd crossbow is identical to the mech from Austin Powers. How is that debatable? That said comparing it to components that make up a pinball machine is inane.

My opinion on Austin powers...
Has twd cannon
Has the iron man center of up down monger
Has the lotr ring magnet
Has the South Park farting audio

Austin powers is a poor mans all in one stern! Buy it cheap and have all the other big game parts lol

Back to ur regular hobbit thread now

#3859 5 years ago

Just curious how long before someone makes this mod for all the drop targets on hobbit!image.jpg

#3860 5 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Just curious how long before someone makes this mod for all the drop targets on hobbit!

image.jpg 173 KB

Can't really tell what I'm looking at. Is it a lit drop target? All the drops on hobbit are black are they not?

#3861 5 years ago
Quoted from HENSBROOKER:

So far Smaug has no teeth ...

Literally and figuratively

#3862 5 years ago
Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

Can't really tell what I'm looking at. Is it a lit drop target? All the drops on hobbit are black are they not?

It is the Mezelmods lighted drop target that is so popular.

#3863 5 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

I'm curious to see the accuracy of the target hit detection when in roving mode. With a lighted bank of stand-up targets, if you hit the lit target at the last second before it moves (and software allowably even with a small grace period) the game recognizes this and awards the hit. With these drops, once the machine trips the target to come down, I would think it is not capable of recognizing being hit. If true, then hitting a drop as the machine starts to move it to the next target would not count as a hit. So, in cases like where they showed the quickly roving target, I wonder how the machine would ever be able to tell if you hit the target versus the software tripping it.

I think you hit on a key difference in the Hobbit that hasn't been discussed much but in my opinion will make it's gameplay very unique. Namely, the stand-up targets (and openings in the Smaug area) behind the individually controlled drops.

This will allow them to make roving openings where the drop targets act as blockers in addition to roving drop targets that you want to hit. This will probably play a key part in giving variety to the more than 30 modes.

I think the mechanical action of the drops is going to be very cool visually and very fun to play.

#3864 5 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I think you hit on a key difference in the Hobbit that hasn't been discussed much but in my opinion will make it's gameplay very unique. Namely, the stand-up targets (and openings in the Smaug area) behind the individually controlled drops.
This will allow them to make roving openings where the drop targets act as blockers in addition to roving drop targets that you want to hit. This will probably play a key part in giving variety to the more than 30 modes.
I think the mechanical action of the drops is going to be very cool visually and very fun to play.

Its been done before and will have little impact on the game. I wish JJP would do something that's innovative.

#3866 5 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Not to mention using the kickback and upper flipper to hit the opening in Smaug's scales (stand open target behind open drop target) to kill Smaug. At least that is what I am assuming you will do. Sounds like fun to me.

#3867 5 years ago

Why is Smaug always visible and turned to the side? I thought he should be turned 180 until he flips around to start talking.

#3868 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

Unless it is used for a combo shot That is were the rules come into place.

It's a waste of production money and resources. That mech isn't cheap. PPL charges $36+ for a flipper unit. So you know JJP is probably paying $12 something a unit. That's a lot of expense for production. You can create a lot of stuff for $12. Things that would be more fun, or more visually appealing. Just to have that expense for maybe a combo bonus with that flipper? Kinda lame. About as good as Demo man when you use the triggers and get the million point bonus per shot.

#3869 5 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

TA DA !!!!!

Until this sort of stuff is coded nobody is realizing how cool, unique, and NEW this is... Similar to the outlane modes on WOZ the Hobbit will have stuff that's never been done before with those drop targets...

#3870 5 years ago
Quoted from mummite:

Why is Smaug always visible and turned to the side? I thought he should be turned 180 until he flips around to start talking.

Well everyone complained about the rock so they changed it so it's not hidden, I'd prefer he be hidden since they aren't adding a body to him and it's just a floating head.

#3871 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

It's a waste of production money and resources. That mech isn't cheap. PPL charges $36+ for a flipper unit. So you know JJP is probably paying $12 something a unit. That's a lot of expense for production. You can create a lot of stuff for $12. Things that would be more fun, or more visually appealing. Just to have that expense for maybe a combo bonus with that flipper? Kinda lame. About as good as Demo man when you use the triggers and get the million point bonus per shot.

We will see how it turns out. It is not always easy to give comment on something that does not represent the final product.

#3872 5 years ago
Quoted from B9:

Take a look at how the interface has changed from the original posting at the beginning of this thread (12 months ago)
Original

Current

HOB-INT-0.jpg 158 KB

HOB-INT-1.jpg 212 KB

Looking at all of the modes in the middle makes me wonder what super-human feats are going to be required to get to the Wizard Mode. This may make TSPP look shallow by comparison.

#3873 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

If it's really only $12 to add an extra flipper on an $9k game, why not throw on a few more?!?

#3874 5 years ago

Sure just add one more..

#3875 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

TA DA !!!!!
Until this sort of stuff is coded nobody is realizing how cool, unique, and NEW this is... Similar to the outlane modes on WOZ the Hobbit will have stuff that's never been done before with those drop targets...

Well we can clearly tell that there's at least one outlane mode on TH already, Gollum & the ring on the RT outlane. Since there's an insert there, I'm guessing you'll have to light it first before starting the outlane mode (perhaps one of the mystery target awards). I'm really looking forward to whatever that mode becomes, guessing riddles by making timed shots, etc. For me as a little kid, that was the most memorable part of the Rakin/Bass animated movie, not Smaug.

#3876 5 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Well we can clearly tell that there's at least one outlane mode on TH already, Gollum & the ring on the RT outlane. Since there's an insert there, I'm guessing you'll have to light it first before starting the outlane mode (perhaps one of the mystery target awards). I'm really looking forward to whatever that mode becomes, guessing riddles by making timed shots, etc. For me as a little kid, that was the most memorable part of the Rakin/Bass animated movie, not Smaug.

There's also a standup target with Beorn in the same outlane.

--Luke

#3877 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

fine pull up the mech for magic castle. It's 1983 technology anyway. Better example.

Super Mario Mushroom World has 10 controlled drop targets as well
Starting at 4:12

#3878 5 years ago
Quoted from j69:

» YouTube video

Damn that Clear coat is super shiny... Well Done!! A work of art!

#3879 5 years ago

I'd prefer he be hidden

So he is not rotated 180 and then flips around anymore? If so that stinks. . . . He looks odd just sitting there 1/2 turned. Will this be changed to have him hidden and then rotate 180?

#3880 5 years ago
Quoted from alichino:

Looking at all of the modes in the middle makes me wonder what super-human feats are going to be required to get to the Wizard Mode. This may make TSPP look shallow by comparison.

I'm hoping that modes can be added over time to keep the game fresh (I know, probably just a pipe dream)

#3881 5 years ago
Quoted from mummite:

So he is not rotated 180 and then flips around anymore? If so that stinks. . . . He looks odd just sitting there 1/2 turned. Will this be changed to have him hidden and then rotate 180?

Well its supposedly an easy thing to add back but right now it's not that way, I hope they change it back, we will find out soon enough. My guess is the back of smaugs head needs some kind of sculpture since they changed it. I wonder how far out we are from seeing the finished game?

#3882 5 years ago
Quoted from Join_The_Cirqus:

» YouTube video
Super Mario Mushroom World has 10 controlled drop targets as well
Starting at 4:12

Looks like #2 on Keith's list.

Reset all up, individually controlled down.

#3883 5 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Looks like #2 on Keith's list.

Yeah I was about to post the exact same thing when I finally got to your post.

#3884 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

We will see how it turns out. It is not always easy to give comment on something that does not represent the final product.

Trust me i'm all for playing before judging. I have played this, but you can tell by looking at it, the flipper doesn't do anything constructive. It's not about trying it (which I have), it's about there is no place for the ball to go. Just wish the resources were used for something else.

#3885 5 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

There's a thin line between love and hate...it's indifference that shows you don't care about something.
I'm really shocked at how people pick apart everything JJP does. Every single item on every game has to come under scrutiny from somebody that doesn't even have money down or the slightest interest in the game. And I just don't understand it.
I have ZERO interest in Stern's new WWE machine, so I don't say a word about it. I couldn't give a shit if it's good or bad, whether it has spinners on it or drop targets, or whatever. I'm not getting one, and I'll probably not even play the damn thing.
Why do some people care so much about Hobbit when they claim they really don't care about it?

Wish I could have thumbs upped this post about a 100 times, feel exactly the same way!

#3886 5 years ago

Well its supposedly an easy thing to add back but right now it's not that way, I hope they change it back, we will find out soon enough. My guess is the back of smaugs head needs some kind of sculpture since they changed it. I wonder how far out we are from seeing the finished game?

To add on to this post what id like to see are jewels and the arkenstone on the back side of smaugs head.

#3887 5 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

It seems like the ball just has so far to travel to those ramps. No successful ramp shots in those videos. Thank you for showing some single ball play instead of only multi-ball. I don't quite love this yet, and I am trying to.
I agree interface is fine. No problems there.

I played it for a bit at the EAG show, and actually found it goon and fun to play (although for a limited time).

I found the ramps can be made you do need to accurate otherwise it clips the newton ball and does not make the ramp, the player in the video did not do so well!

I enjoyed the way you get the 'trolls' to pop up and then have to adjust your trajectory to hit them, this in its self was great fun and rewarding.

Only negative thing I would say was the call outs, but hey its early days of code yet, and from what I overheard as the code develops we are all in for some nice surprises and tricks from the lance, upper flipper, drops targets and trolls, if true this machine is going to hit it out of the park....

#3888 5 years ago

I talked with someone that was at the show. He did not get to play it that much but like some have said reporting from earlier shows, the game was not leveled correctly and the flipper coils were set to low. He also said that the game felt a bit woobly (if that is the right word?) Maybe the legs needed some tightening? The machine was still fun, though.

He also said that you got a beast hurry-up for every innlane. I hope they reduce that in the code. The beasts looks like a fun part of the game but they could be overused if they pop up that often.

Judging from the pictures and videos so far, I think they nailed the look and feel of the beasts. The final versions looks so much better than the first prototypes. Especially after seeing them installed in the machine.

Personally, I think this machine is gonna be a blast to play when set up right

#3889 5 years ago

I also played the game yesterday and the game looks stunning. The artwork is very very good.

Unfortunately the gameplay is bad bad bad For me the main issue seems to be the distance from the upper side to the flippers is too long. You get a feeling the ball is slowmo when you wait it to come back to the flippers.

I read above about leveling but have a hard time believing that. Jack was there standing next to it, together with other people. They watch people playing and complaining about the ball speed and don't react? It only takes a couple of minutes to adjust the pitch so you get a faster flow if this would be the case.

I hope they don't release the game in the current state but take the time to get things right. If not people are going to go crazy over here receiving the product in the current state it is.

My 2 cents... sorry..

#3890 5 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

They're still drop targets.

Yup, my engine in my 2012 car, is still an engine like a model T ford,
But it's just a tad different.

#3891 5 years ago
Quoted from Hitch9:

I know the difference.......the model T engine was made in the US and the 2012 engine was made in Canada?!?!?!

#3892 5 years ago
Quoted from Hitch9:

I think your analogy is wrong. Comparing engines would be like comparing SS with EM. Comparing drop targets would be like comparing the door on your 2012 car and a Model T. Yup, they both swing open same. outward.

#3893 5 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

There's a thin line between love and hate...it's indifference that shows you don't care about something.
I'm really shocked at how people pick apart everything JJP does. Every single item on every game has to come under scrutiny from somebody that doesn't even have money down or the slightest interest in the game. And I just don't understand it.
I have ZERO interest in Stern's new WWE machine, so I don't say a word about it. I couldn't give a shit if it's good or bad, whether it has spinners on it or drop targets, or whatever. I'm not getting one, and I'll probably not even play the damn thing.
Why do some people care so much about Hobbit when they claim they really don't care about it?

If you read the WWE threads you will see the pick apart happens to Stern as well.

#3894 5 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

If you read the WWE threads you will see the pick apart happens to Stern as well.

I do read the Stern threads. All they get is "where is the spinner?" and "when will the code be finished?" and "how many bash toys will Stern put out?" And then the thread is over. Nowhere near the ball busting JJP takes.

#3895 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I think your analogy is wrong. Comparing engines would be like comparing SS with EM. Comparing drop targets would be like comparing the door on your 2012 car and a Model T. Yup, they both swing open same. outward.

The analogy is perfect if you are comparing things from 3 decades ago to now and saying they are "the same technology" which is incorrect. May be the same principle but not the same technology. It's like comparing the Henney Kilowatt to the Tesla S.

#3896 5 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I do read the Stern threads. All they get is "where is the spinner?" and "when will the code be finished?" and "how many bash toys will Stern put out?" And then the thread is over. Nowhere near the ball busting JJP takes.

I would invite him to come see the factory but it's a really long distance for his wife to drive.

#3897 5 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I would disagree with this. WWE got absolutely trashed when announced. After people saw the LE some have warmed to it. Look at the pile of threads about incomplete code and people claiming to not buy another NIB stern ever again. The JJP threads seem to stay alive longer because JJP interacts on the forum and responds. That's not a bad thing but it leads to back and forths mainly with people that are just trying to stir the pot which causes the threads to explode with drama and nonsense.

It's the same people always hating so I don't think anyone really pays attention anymore anyway.

#3898 5 years ago

Nah...the initial trashing of WWE was for the stupid theme. People were expecting something a little more...uh...adult. They even said the ring up top was pretty cool.

#3899 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

The analogy is perfect if you are comparing things from 3 decades ago to now and saying they are "the same technology" which is incorrect. May be the same principle but not the same technology. It's like comparing the Henney Kilowatt to the Tesla S.

Comparing engine technology would not be the same. Doors would be a better comparison. Door technology is a little more advanced now. you can roll down the windows, locks, but the basic technology is there. Engines are the main brain of the car. That would be like comparing the motherboard to a EM relay bank. That technology has advanced much farther to the point where it's almost indistinguishable from it's initial release. Drop targets, whether they are from the 40's or today, still look the same and easily identifiable.

#3900 5 years ago
Quoted from karl:

He also said that you got a beast hurry-up for every innlane. I hope they reduce that in the code.

Well there's at least 5 difficulty settings (don't remember offhand) and for the shows it's set on the 2nd-easiest. It's not every inlane, closer to every other inlane.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 159.00
Cabinet - Toppers
FlipperLED
7,400 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Camano Island, WA
$ 12.99
There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 78 of 201.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside