47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg
There are 10,044 posts in this topic. You are on page 76 of 201.
#3751 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

First a useless upper flipper in WOZ, and now one in Hobbit. I guess the useless flipper has become one of JJP's signature playfield features.

Like the useless cannon in every Stern game?

#3752 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNavidad:

Like the useless cannon in every Stern game?

Every Stern game? You mean AC/DC?

#3753 9 years ago

AHHH, haven't you heard if a third flipper doesn't hit the same ramp over and over again, it is automatically deemed useless!

#3754 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

It's good to hear that Keefer figured out some clever ways to integrate the upper flipper. This was not the case back when I owned the game.

I guess the moral of the story is always give Keefer a chance to get deep with the code.
I have not played or even seen Hobbit in person, but I expect Keefer has some things planned for the extra flipper if they are not already programmed into the software.

#3755 9 years ago
Quoted from B9:

Take a look at how the interface has changed from the original posting at the beginning of this thread (12 months ago)
Original

Current

HOB-INT-0.jpg 158 KB

HOB-INT-1.jpg 212 KB

The LCD layout and usage is awesome.

#3756 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

I agree. They have really learned how to fully utilize all the space on the LCD. I always thought the WOZ display looks great, but they upped the ante with Hobbit.

#3757 9 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Every Stern game? You mean AC/DC?

The Walking Dead LE

#3758 9 years ago

I should have included Ted Estes in my comments. He also seems to really put his heart into the games he works on. He has often discussed code details with WOZ owners on the google group.

#3759 9 years ago
Quoted from JerseyJen:

The game at EAG has the thick decals yes, no PF protector

Jen, it definitely has the playfield protector on, looked like a plastic overlay when I saw it yesterday

#3760 9 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

It seems like the ball just has so far to travel to those ramps. No successful ramp shots in those videos.

I had no issues making ramps yesterday, the shots were sweet and smooth too

#3761 9 years ago

It's not even just the code. If you drain a twister before finishing it, hold the UR flipper out... the ball will fall thru the hole and bounce off the flipper, then roll perfectly to the LL flipper for a drop-catch and stickback up the ramp for more twister loops. Don't do this from magnet holds, though... not enough momentum and it'll want to roll SDTM

#3762 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

It's good to hear that Keefer figured out some clever ways to integrate the upper flipper. This was not the case back when I owned the game.

Keith and Ted did an amazing job with WOZ's code. Personally I think that JJP has the two best programmers in the industry. These guys not only crank out code updates but also make unique comprehensive rulesets that don't exist elsewhere. It's also a huge plus that Jack, Keith and Ted are open with owners about upcoming code updates. I'm sure these guys are going to do a brilliant job on the code for The Hobbit.

#3763 9 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

AHHH, haven't you heard if a third flipper doesn't hit the same ramp over and over again, it is automatically deemed useless!

Sure you can program a target to be lit at a certain time so that the 3rd flipper has something to do, but that is only a part time gig for that flipper...it's just not the same as it having it's own unique shot(s) that can be hit at anytime (giving it a full time usefulness)....in the Hobbitt's case i'm also worried it's going to trash that ramp entrance (and the corner of that "pile of gold" plastic) very quickly. Hope it gets reinforced or protected.

#3764 9 years ago
Quoted from mufcmufc:

I had no issues making ramps yesterday, the shots were sweet and smooth too

OK, well that's good news.

I think I may have figured out something that bothers me.

There are no shots where you can do an "oh shit" recovery that you still graze the ball but didn't get a chance to aim and then it actually goes somewhere useful by accident and you can say... "I meant to do that". Like the Gimli or Shire holes in LOTR. (Not counting when the center toys are up for bashing). Every shot looks very deliberate.

#3765 9 years ago

Sounds like you are just looking for things to not like about the machine, DarkWizard.

First the ramp and now lucky shots? What about the wizard hole, the shot up the bumpers, the lock rollovers, the mystery targets, etc, etc? They could all be shot by accident. Not to mention all the drop targets and standups behind them?

#3766 9 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

OK, well that's good news.
I think I may have figured out something that bothers me.
There are no shots where you can do an "oh shit" recovery that you still graze the ball but didn't get a chance to aim and then it actually goes somewhere useful by accident and you can say... "I meant to do that". Like the Gimli or Shire holes in LOTR. (Not counting when the center toys are up for bashing). Every shot looks very deliberate.

Then play better & make your shots.

The Hobbit will be all about making specific accurate shots in a certain amount of time, in accordance with the 30+ modes (ex. hit this ramp, hit the entire bank of drops, hit the random rapidly moving drop, hit this pop-up troll within 5 seconds, etc etc.). With the unique controllable drop targets, there must be thousands of possible scenarios they can create. Obviously it depends on the code. But I'd much rather have a game that rewards me for my skills. The more difficult the better. The harder it is to master, then the longer it's a keeper.

#3767 9 years ago
Quoted from karl:

Sounds like you are just looking for things to not like about the machine, DarkWizard.
First the ramp and now lucky shots? What about the wizard hole, the shot up the bumpers, the lock rollovers, the mystery targets, etc, etc? They could all be shot by accident. Not to mention all the drop targets and standups behind them?

Just trying to re-assure myself that this is going to be a good machine when I bring it home in a few months (knock on wood).

Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Then play better & make your shots.
The Hobbit will be all about making specific accurate shots in a certain amount of time, in accordance with the 30+ modes (ex. hit this ramp, hit the entire bank of drops, hit the random rapidly moving drop, hit this pop-up troll within 5 seconds, etc etc.). With the unique controllable drop targets, there must be thousands of possible scenarios they can create. Obviously it depends on the code. But I'd much rather have a game that rewards me for my skills. The more difficult the better. The harder it is to master, then the longer it's a keeper.

I realize this, but I am also buying this for non-pinheads to enjoy. I would also like my wife to enjoy it as well. I'm sure it will be fine. I think I am just hungry for more updates and info and looking for random stuff to debate.

#3768 9 years ago

I like it. Just not there.

They could have had a potentially nice scenic area around there (with the orcs up on the cliffs firing down on the dwarfs that are bouncing around in the barrels)...but instead they are force feeding the LCD into an area that it shouldn't be in (and taking out some nice stuff like the dwarf in the barrel just to make it fit) and to me it looks terribly out of place.

IMHO the LCD would be much better served located in the apron, there appears to enough room for it so why not? (and they did hint early in the development process that the apron would be different...)....

#3769 9 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

They could have had a potentially nice scenic area around there (with the orcs up on the cliffs firing down on the dwarfs that are bouncing around in the barrels. IMHO the LCD would be much better served located in the apron, there appears to enough room for it so why not?

Because I like mods, I can see moving the LCD to the apron and doing something with decals, barrels, and Orcs in that area.

#3770 9 years ago

Having the barrels move around & around would be a GREAT mod.

Tim

#3771 9 years ago
Quoted from jazc4:

Because I like mods, I can see moving the LCD to the apron and doing something with decals, barrels, and Orcs in that area.

That would be nice.

#3772 9 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

They could have had a potentially nice scenic area around there (with the orcs up on the cliffs firing down on the dwarfs that are bouncing around in the barrels)...but instead they are force feeding the LCD into an area that it shouldn't be in (and taking out some nice stuff like the dwarf in the barrel just to make it fit) and to me it looks terribly out of place.
IMHO the LCD would be much better served located in the apron, there appears to enough room for it so why not? (and they did hint early in the development process that the apron would be different...)....

I was talking about the big LCD that the comparison of pictures was about. Not the one on the playfield. I spoke with Jack about that one a while ago and he told me in firm words that area isn't going to change. But....never say never

#3773 9 years ago

I was talking about the big LCD that the comparison of pictures was about. Not the one on the playfield. I spoke with Jack about that one a while ago and he told me in firm words that area isn't going to change. But....never say never

Didn't they say they had a better book casing to house the LCD? The one it's in looks pretty weak.

#3774 9 years ago

Wow, wow, wow, night and day from Expo to today.

Kudos to JJP and team, seeing the LCD and what they have done with it blows me away and its only going to get better.

You have a group that just is all about delivering great pinball.

And to be able to say "Keefer and Ted" we trust. Its just a great team!

#3775 9 years ago

The Walking Dead LE

Don't forget AP and T3

#3776 9 years ago

The Walking Dead LE

Walking Dead isn't a cannon.

In either event, that would only be two.

#3777 9 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

Don't forget AP and T3

T3 doesn't have a cannon.

T2 did.

#3778 9 years ago

T3 doesn't have a cannon.
T2 did.

T2 isn't even a stern game so based on the previous comment it's irrelevant.

#3779 9 years ago

Walking Dead isn't a cannon.

Sorry. It's a "crossbow" but sure looks like a cannon to me. Still fires pinballs. My best friend has a TWDLE and it serves absolutely no purpose whatsoever. At least JJP is pushing the limits on new technology, not recycling something from 1991 that was debuted (to the best of my knowledge) on T2. Yawn.

#3780 9 years ago

A NIB Stern LE is nearly the same price as a NIB JJP LE in Australia and the Stern comes without shaker, invisiglass and lcd.

I know where my money is going.

#3781 9 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

Sure you can program a target to be lit at a certain time so that the 3rd flipper has something to do, but that is only a part time gig for that flipper...it's just not the same as it having it's own unique shot(s) that can be hit at anytime (giving it a full time usefulness)....in the Hobbitt's case i'm also worried it's going to trash that ramp entrance (and the corner of that "pile of gold" plastic) very quickly. Hope it gets reinforced or protected.

You mean like on Woz where every hit to the witch advances you closer and closer to melting her.....All the time. Not to mention many other shots I use with it! I have a feeling you have never played enough to get what it really can do?

#3782 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

First a useless upper flipper in WOZ, and now one in Hobbit. I guess the useless flipper has become one of JJP's signature playfield features.

DOn't know why your getting thumbs down for that. It's fact. Look at the hobbits shot pattern. Is there anything that upper flipper can hit that you can't hit with the normal flippers? That is a useless flipper. That is the definition of useless flipper. You can't thumbs down that without really understanding it.

TOmmy has an upper flipper. Also has shots that can only be obtained from that flipper
Batman forever, TZ, TAF, FH.....all have shots that HAVE to have that flipper to be made. If you can make it with the bottom flippers, there is no sense in having it.

#3783 9 years ago
Quoted from Wamprat:

A NIB Stern LE is nearly the same price as a NIB JJP LE in Australia and the Stern comes without shaker, invisiglass and lcd.
I know where my money is going.

in your pocket so you can buy 5 or 6 older titles?

#3784 9 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Didn't they say they had a better book casing to house the LCD? The one it's in looks pretty weak.

Jack said that the bezel and stand are final.

(subject to change with or without notice)

#3785 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

DOn't know why your getting thumbs down for that. It's fact. Look at the hobbits shot pattern. Is there anything that upper flipper can hit that you can't hit with the normal flippers? That is a useless flipper. That is the definition of useless flipper. You can't thumbs down that without really understanding it.
TOmmy has an upper flipper. Also has shots that can only be obtained from that flipper
Batman Forever, TZ, TAF, FH.....all have shots that HAVE to have that flipper to be made. If you can make it with the bottom flippers, there is no sense in having it.

Unless it is used for a combo shot That is were the rules come into place.

#3786 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

in your pocket so you can buy 5 or 6 older titles?

Yeah that's always an option for sure but I couldn't get 5 or 6 older titles that I was interested in over here for 12k. Pins prices here are high atm.
More like 2-4 depending on the title.

#3787 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

T2 isn't even a stern game so based on the previous comment it's irrelevant.

Didn't say it was. Was pointing out that T2 had one, as the person I was replying to may have had them confused.

Now, troll elsewhere.

#3788 9 years ago

Sorry. It's a "crossbow" but sure looks like a cannon to me. Still fires pinballs. My best friend has a TWDLE and it serves absolutely no purpose whatsoever. At least JJP is pushing the limits on new technology, not recycling something from 1991 that was debuted (to the best of my knowledge) on T2. Yawn.

Yes, JJP would never recycle old pinball technology like say....drop targets...and then make a Pin full of them.

#3789 9 years ago

I'd rather have an interative cannon shot verses a toothless talking puppet.

#3790 9 years ago

Yes, JJP would never recycle old pinball technology like say....drop targets...and then make a Pin full of them.

The drop target banks in hobbit are new technology.

#3791 9 years ago
Quoted from TaTa:

I'd rather have an interative cannon shot verses a toothless talking puppet.

Smog will have teeth and will interact with the ball.

#3792 9 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

They're still drop targets.

#3793 9 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

It seems like the ball just has so far to travel to those ramps. No successful ramp shots in those videos.

Agreed. There's something very satisfying about the gameplay shown... but it's understandable given the fact that you've got first time players on the machine with perhaps a line of others waiting to get on the machine behind them. I remember playing TWD at York and having to slink away based on how poorly I did for my 60 seconds on the machine. Those ramps are so central though, they need to be accessible a good percentage of the time. Reminds me a bit of Fish Tales boat ramps, but a lot farther away and harder to hit even by accident. I also resonate with the comments about needing a machine that has appeal to the new player. The machine looks awesome and so that alone will add a ton of appeal - especially the LCD for observers to watch while waiting their turn. I want one of these. Just looking for an excuse (and $).

Post edited by JeffA: typo

#3794 9 years ago

Okay...no more drop targets in JJP games. Then people will say, "Where are the drop targets?"

#3795 9 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

How the heck is that "new technology"?? explain how they are so different than for example the target banks from a twenty years old IJ...

#3796 9 years ago
Quoted from HENSBROOKER:

How the heck is that "new technology"?? explain how they are so different than for example the target banks from a twenty years old IJ...

Each drop target is individually controllable up and down. Never been done before.

#3797 9 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Smog will have teeth and will interact with the ball.

So far Smaug has no teeth ... But that could still change before April.

But the 2nd point should be your concern -> initially Smaug "would interact with the ball multiple ways". In the end Smaug interacts with the ball in ZERO ways!! It just flaps it's jaw from time to time.

#3798 9 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Each drop target is individually controllable up and down. Never been done before.

IJ has also a single controllable drop down target near the captive ball. Repeating that about 30 times is not new technology. Am I wrong?

#3799 9 years ago
Quoted from HENSBROOKER:

So far Smaug has no teeth ... But that could still change before April.
But the 2nd point should be your concern -> initially Smaug "would interact with the ball multiple ways". In the end Smaug interacts with the ball in ZERO ways!! It just flaps it's jaw from time to time.

The magnet next to him and the player controlled upper and lower diverters is how he interacts. Very cool subway system on hobbit. The ball can drop down and come up in 3 different places. Its not implemented yet. When it is the hole game will change. Also he will taunt you.

#3800 9 years ago

Didn't say it was. Was pointing out that T2 had one, as the person I was replying to may have had them confused.
Now, troll elsewhere.

I was referring to the person you replied to. Now learn to read a threaded discussion.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

There are 10,044 posts in this topic. You are on page 76 of 201.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-update-1/page/76 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.