Topic Stats

• 10,044 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 714 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOB (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
No.gif
IMG_9476_(resized).JPG
47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 201.
#301 5 years ago
Quoted from Part_3:

They are all character pop-ups. This has been confirmed by the designer, as well as what you can see in this pic.

292.jpg 66 KB

The picture really tells nothing about that. It is just a very early whitewood with non-working mechanics in it.

As far as I know Joe has not confirmed that it will be character pop-ups.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From the Pinball Magazine August 2013:

Pinball Magazine: Can you reveal anything else about the blueprint?
One thing that comes up in discussions is the four rectangular mechs that are on the playfield. Those are the troll mechs from Medieval Madness.

Pinball Magazine: They look like they could have been trap doors like in Theatre of Magic as well.

Joe Balcer : It’s funny because the plan was somewhere in between. Are we going to use a trapdoor and three mechs, or do we go two and two? It really still hasn’t been decided, but for all practical purposes they will be the troll mechs.

For this game we have different characters. We have trolls, goblins, orcs - there are so many different characters and what they end up being depends on how the storyline works out as we start to put this thing together with rules. We’ll determine that when we get there, I guess.

Full article:
http://www.pinball-magazine.com/?p=1449

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Haven't seen any update on that subject since.

#302 5 years ago

14.jpg The small item top center outside of the playfield is it mechanical?

#303 5 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

The small item top center outside of the playfield is it mechanical?

14.jpg 119 KB

Probably a motor to drive the diverter on the ramps. But that is speculation.

#304 5 years ago

Hmm I still do not see why there are 4 flippers on the table?
The bottom 2 seem to be able to shoot every shot as it stands.

Or am I missing something.

#305 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Same here. It's going to be interesting to hear just what type of toys are filling up the IO board more then WOZ. Here's some guesses I have for the toys and features.
1. 11 drop targets.
2. Three of the five Smaug drop targets (the three on the right) may be a rising / lowering drop target bank similar to the one Tron and Attack from Mars. Personally I'm hoping the three targets are a moving target bank so players have some way to attack Smaug.
3. We know there are 4 pop up's in the middle of the playfield but are they all going to be character pop ups? I'm going to guess that one of the pop ups is a trap door and that a couple of them will have targets not only on the front but the back as well. Each pop up can be hit from behind by either shooting one of the ramp shots for the upper two pop ups or hitting the orbits for the lower pop ups.
4. Smaug will be interactive on at least the level of the castle in MM if not more.
5. We haven't seen everything under the playfield. Jack said something along the lines of a lot happening under the playfield in the machine as a lot happens underground in the movie. There could very well be a lower mini playfield.

Panzer,

Can you break it down. How many total slots are in the WOZ IO board?

How many of those slots did they use?

Assuming that they use the same board and like Jack said they fill it, that would mean adding how many more mechs?

#306 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Same here. It's going to be interesting to hear just what type of toys are filling up the IO board more then WOZ. Here's some guesses I have for the toys and features.
1. 11 drop targets.
2. Three of the five Smaug drop targets (the three on the right) may be a rising / lowering drop target bank similar to the one Tron and Attack from Mars. Personally I'm hoping the three targets are a moving target bank so players have some way to attack Smaug.
3. We know there are 4 pop up's in the middle of the playfield but are they all going to be character pop ups? I'm going to guess that one of the pop ups is a trap door and that a couple of them will have targets not only on the front but the back as well. Each pop up can be hit from behind by either shooting one of the ramp shots for the upper two pop ups or hitting the orbits for the lower pop ups.
4. Smaug will be interactive on at least the level of the castle in MM if not more.
5. We haven't seen everything under the playfield. Jack said something along the lines of a lot happening under the playfield in the machine as a lot happens underground in the movie. There could very well be a lower mini playfield.

The pop up's are for blocking the main shots not for hitting in the back

#307 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

The picture really tells nothing about that. It is just a very early whitewood with non-working mechanics in it.
As far as I know Joe has not confirmed that it will be character pop-ups.
From the Pinball Magazine August 2013:
Pinball Magazine: Can you reveal anything else about the blueprint?
One thing that comes up in discussions is the four rectangular mechs that are on the playfield. Those are the troll mechs from Medieval Madness.
Pinball Magazine: They look like they could have been trap doors like in Theatre of Magic as well.
Joe Balcer : It’s funny because the plan was somewhere in between. Are we going to use a trapdoor and three mechs, or do we go two and two? It really still hasn’t been decided, but for all practical purposes they will be the troll mechs.
For this game we have different characters. We have trolls, goblins, orcs - there are so many different characters and what they end up being depends on how the storyline works out as we start to put this thing together with rules. We’ll determine that when we get there, I guess.
Full article:
http://www.pinball-magazine.com/?p=1449
Haven't seen any update on that subject since.

"but for all practical purposes they will be the troll mechs."

Sounds clear to me.

#308 5 years ago
Quoted from Part_3:

"but for all practical purposes they will be the troll mechs."
Sounds clear to me.

If you quote than quote the whole phrase: It’s funny because the plan was somewhere in between. Are we going to use a trapdoor and three mechs, or do we go two and two? It really still hasn’t been decided, but for all practical purposes they will be the troll mechs.

I think what Joe means to say is for keeping the discussion clear we will refer to them as troll mechs. But there also can be trapdoors. So it is not decided yet or do you have some inside info

#309 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

If you quote than quote the whole phrase: It’s funny because the plan was somewhere in between. Are we going to use a trapdoor and three mechs, or do we go two and two? It really still hasn’t been decided, but for all practical purposes they will be the troll mechs.
I think what Joe means to say is for keeping the discussion clear we will refer to them as troll mechs. But there also can be trapdoors. So it is not decided yet or do you have some inside info

$20 says 4 pop-ups.

#310 5 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

Looking at it - if there ARE pop-ups (trolls) in the middle of the PF- perhaps those top flippers WILL be necessary for hitting shots that would be otherwise obstructed?

#311 5 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Looking at it - if there ARE pop-ups (trolls) in the middle of the PF- perhaps those top flippers WILL be necessary for hitting shots that would be otherwise obstructed?

That's been my thought. they block shots for various flippers, forcing you to use another flipper.

#312 5 years ago

Very excited to see more detail(s) on this pin. Wish things were happening faster!

#313 5 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

I did not know you were into LSD Panzer.

LOL! Those are the type of videos you can find when doing random YouTube browsing at 2:00am, haha.

#314 5 years ago

Anyone else see the recent Facebook post that PinballSTAR Amusements posted today?

"Smaug... The Hobbit pinball...
We have gotten teasers from Jersey Jack Pinball saying that the Smaug dragon toy in the top left of the playfield will 'be alive' and interact with the ball...
So.... HOW DO YOU THINK THE SMAUG TOY WILL WORK / WHAT WILL HE DO ?
When the info is released at some point I will send the person I deem to be closest to being correct and most descriptive a Hobbit pinball prize package.
It's fun, it's free, you can win cool stuff... Let's hear all those great ideas and theories... Again, this about the Smaug toy part of the game only..."

Sounds like the Smaug toy may be interactive on the level of the Castle in MM.

I've been wondering where the ball locking mech will be on The Hobbit and up until now thought it would be one of the pop ups if one is a trap door. While that is still a possibility I'm going to guess that the Smaug toy is also the ball locking mech similar to the castle in MM.

#315 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Anyone else see the recent Facebook post that PinballSTAR Amusements posted today?
"Smaug... The Hobbit pinball...
We have gotten teasers from Jersey Jack Pinball saying that the Smaug dragon toy in the top left of the playfield will 'be alive' and interact with the ball...
So.... HOW DO YOU THINK THE SMAUG TOY WILL WORK / WHAT WILL HE DO ?
When the info is released at some point I will send the person I deem to be closest to being correct and most descriptive a Hobbit pinball prize package.
It's fun, it's free, you can win cool stuff... Let's hear all those great ideas and theories... Again, this about the Smaug toy part of the game only..."
Sounds like the Smaug toy may be interactive on the level of the Castle in MM.

The playfield map looks like the hulk toy so till all is shown it is just speculation.

#316 5 years ago

You have to lock a ball, that ball is the arcenstone. Then tou need to release the ball by using the spear canon to shoot the head and the stomach of the dragon.

If you succeed you have a two ball mutliball to defeat the dragon, orcs will pop up, the dragon will barc fire balls....

It will be amazing!

#317 5 years ago

Sounds like fun! I wonder if JJP would use a ball similar to the Power Ball in TZ for the Arcenstone?

#318 5 years ago

Does anyone know if Jack has gotten the most important part of his company up and running the grunts you pay $15 to $20 dollars a hour for manufacturing. In all the factory tours or pics I could find there were never more then a few guys building games.With the Stern Williams and more the factories were full of workers.

#319 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

LOL! Those are the type of videos you can find when doing random YouTube browsing at 2:00am, haha.

....on LSD.

#320 5 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

Imagine a hurry up pointing you to shoot an orbit that leads back to an upper flipper then a "troll" or trap door pops up and you have to hit it with the upper flipper in time or you miss the shot. It seems clear to me.

205284.jpg
#321 5 years ago
Quoted from juanton:

The eagles picked Frodo up from Mt. Doom after the ring was destroyed IIRC. Frodo and Sam travelled on foot with Gollum.

exactly, so Why the hell didn't they just take them there from the start.

And for orcs shooting them down. No way you can shoot that high. and Orcs wern't expert marksmen nor had the crafted weapons like elves had.

#322 5 years ago

MM castle isn't THAT interactive. I still think the T-REX from JP is the most interactive toy. It's eats the freaking ball! I'm hoping Smaug is interactive to or above that level!

#323 5 years ago
Quoted from Part_3:

I'm hoping Smaug is interactive to or above that level!

Agree I have high hopes for interactive Smaug!

#324 5 years ago

2 months since last update

#325 5 years ago

Anxiously awaiting an update to my first NIB. Perhaps next week or the week after during TPF or MPE.

#326 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

exactly, so Why the hell didn't they just take them there from the start.
And for orcs shooting them down. No way you can shoot that high. and Orcs wern't expert marksmen nor had the crafted weapons like elves had.

Before the ring was destroyed Sauron was still alive. I think that's why the eagles, and almost everything else, stayed away from Mordor.

#327 5 years ago
Quoted from juanton:

Before the ring was destroyed Sauron was still alive. I think that's why the eagles, and almost everything else, stayed away from Mordor.

Correct! The eye of Sauron would have seen them and the ringwraiths would have hunted them down and captured the One Ring.

Source: I'm a Tolkien nerd

--Luke

#328 5 years ago

interactive SMAUG prototype

tspp-homer-1.jpg

#329 5 years ago

Have been checking in on Hobbit threads and reading here and there, might have missed it.

Release of the pin still scheduled for Dec 2014 or has that been pushed back?

#330 5 years ago
Quoted from Kryzsky:

Have been checking in on Hobbit threads and reading here and there, might have missed it.
Release of the pin still scheduled for Dec 2014 or has that been pushed back?

Still planned for release with the movie in December. Jack says he is contractually obligated to release it then.

#331 5 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

Does anyone know if Jack has gotten the most important part of his company up and running the grunts you pay $15 to $20 dollars a hour for manufacturing. In all the factory tours or pics I could find there were never more then a few guys building games.With the Stern Williams and more the factories were full of workers.

Now this is going to get me into trouble. I love this place so much that it is hard for me to actually have to comment on this... BUT, I don't think that the folks making $15 to $20 dollars an hour for manufacturing would consider themselves 'grunts'. At least I don't. And I would love to see manufacturing back in our community. A factory would be nice. Actually, I would love to see it. A lot of factories and manufacturing all through our country. I believe in building things. Building anything. And and I will do it and many of my friends will do it for less than $15 per hour or more than $50 per hour. Whatever you will pay us. We are all in. We just need people that will take the risk to start these factories. So I am thankful that someone has put people to work... paid them what they agreed to... and allowed me to actually purchase a fine product like a pinball machine, whether it be from Stern or JJP. Wish there were more...... (My 'Made In the USA' stickers on my playfield glass will never be removed from any of my pinballs.)

#332 5 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

Still planned for release with the movie in December. Jack says he is contractually obligated to release it then.

Cant wait. It will make a excellent Christmas gift for the whole family.

#333 5 years ago
Quoted from Geremy13:

Now this is going to get me into trouble. I love this place so much that it is hard for me to actually have to comment on this... BUT, I don't think that the folks making $15 to $20 dollars an hour for manufacturing would consider themselves 'grunts'. At least I don't. And I would love to see manufacturing back in our community. A factory would be nice. Actually, I would love to see it. A lot of factories and manufacturing all through our country. I believe in building things. Building anything. And and I will do it and many of my friends will do it for less than $15 per hour or more than $50 per hour. Whatever you will pay us. We are all in. We just need people that will take the risk to start these factories. So I am thankful that someone has put people to work... paid them what they agreed to... and allowed me to actually purchase a fine product like a pinball machine, whether it be from Stern or JJP. Wish there were more...... (My 'Made In the USA' stickers on my playfield glass will never be removed from any of my pinballs.)

How about back bone of the industry

#334 5 years ago
Quoted from juanton:

what was he going to do? Stink eye them to death?

they could have dropped them off at the edge of mordor if they didn't want to take them all the way in. Should have just flew over mt.doom and let frodo drop the ring in the pit as they did a fly by. Movie would have been 45 min long.

#335 5 years ago

only 40 hobbit le left!

#336 5 years ago

i call bullshit on this. maybe 40 for distributers to buy. There is no way in hell 1500 of those were bought up by collectors, especially with all the problems going on with WOZ.

#337 5 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

1-The amount you assume the line workers make is likely lower than that.
2-It was not long ago that I made less than $15 in a skilled job related to automotive manufacturing and the like.
3-I can't speak for everyone, but I highly resent people referring to me or my fellow man as a grunt. Unless it is a term of endearment. ?
4-I agreed to my wage with my employer with the calculated understanding that experience and knowledge would lead to more opportunity and pay. I was correct.

5.Smiles to convey the message that I am not wishing you ill will.

#338 5 years ago

What's wrong with the term "grunt"?

informal
a low-ranking or unskilled soldier or other worker.
"he went from grunt to senior executive vice-president in less than five years"

Seems inoffensive. It's just a word.

#339 5 years ago

JJP's electrical engineer has a background in robotics and he confirmed he would be putting that to use on TH. I have very high hopes for this pin!

#340 5 years ago

Paper launch... I'm betting.
Given the fact he hasn't finished WOZ and keeps releasing new versions leads me to believe the same will happen with Hobbit.

I don't have a dog in the race. Hope I'm wrong.

#341 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

i call bullshit on this. maybe 40 for distributers to buy. There is no way in hell 1500 of those were bought up by collectors, especially with all the problems going on with WOZ.

Yes of course I ment to distributors. But that means when those 40 are gone you will need to find one from a destributor. I would personally rather buy direct from jjp.

#342 5 years ago

#343 5 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

What's wrong with the term "grunt"?
informal
a low-ranking or unskilled soldier or other worker.
"he went from grunt to senior executive vice-president in less than five years"
Seems inoffensive. It's just a word.

I assure you, if you go out on the floor of any plant in my area and call someone you don't have a friendship with a grunt, they will consider you a real A-h...

Manufacturing is not the Marines (where the term originated)

#344 5 years ago

The game is due in 9 months they had a unfinished white wood on there last update. Jack started building the first WOZ games april 2013 hear we are a year later still waiting on the full run.Be happy if you see your game in the first half of 2015

#345 5 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

The game is due in 9 months they had a unfinished white wood on there last update. Jack started building the first WOZ game april 2013 hear we are almost a year later.Be happy if you get your game in the first half of 2015
Post edited by ek77

how many people they got working over at JJP?

#346 5 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

1-The amount you assume the line workers make is likely lower than that.
2-It was not long ago that I made less than $15 in a skilled job related to automotive manufacturing and the like.
3-I can't speak for everyone, but I highly resent people referring to me or my fellow man as a grunt. Unless it is a term of endearment. ?
4-I agreed to my wage with my employer with the calculated understanding that experience and knowledge would lead to more opportunity and pay. I was correct.
5.Smiles to convey the message that I am not wishing you ill will.

The point was not what to call the workers but the fact Jack needs more workers on the floor.

#347 5 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

how many people they got working over at JJP?

Yes tell us all your vast knowledge.

#348 5 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

The point was not what to call the workers but the fact Jack needs more workers on the floor.

What is your manufacturing experience? There are obviously issues over there but your speculation on what they are is just that....speculation. I don't see what your point was in pointing out your speculation on their pay and calling them grunts. Oh well.

#349 5 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

The game is due in 9 months they had a unfinished white wood on there last update. Jack started building the first WOZ games april 2013 hear we are a year later still waiting on the full run.Be happy if you see your game in the first half of 2015

I spoke with Jack yesterday for an hr. Jack has a contract with Warner brothers to start shipping the Hobbit by the December dead line. Jack told me he will be starting to build hobbit games in November of 2014. Don't forget the foundation of the company is built now. The second game will be much easier.

Also there have been 2 new white woods since the one that he showed us on the last update. That white wood video was from November of 2013.

#350 5 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

only 40 hobbit le left!

Even if true, no hurry here. If there was only one left, I'd still wait to see it, play it, THEN buy it.

Waiting on game number three.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Machine - For Sale
Ridgeland, WI
€ 159.00
Cabinet - Toppers
FlipperLED
Machine - For Sale
Grand Rapids, MI
There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 201.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside