Topic Stats

• 10,044 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 714 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOB (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
No.gif
IMG_9476_(resized).JPG
47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 64 of 201.
#3151 5 years ago
Quoted from ls1chris:

i think for $200 your going to get a complete mech not just a couple pieces of plastic.

Doubt it. Have you seen how much the WOZ plastic castle walls cost??

#3152 5 years ago

Unfortunately, it's pretty much in line with what other mods cost (says the owner of a TZ, the ultimate mod-monster).

#3153 5 years ago

Could you order a standard LE with Smaug edition Smaug? Without paying $200. I'm still on the fence with which decals I like better, but I like the gold smaug better.

#3154 5 years ago

I like the asymmetrical decals on the LE, Hope they do the same with the SE.

#3155 5 years ago

$200 for a limited sculpt isn't out of line frankly. This isn't some Chinese mass produced toy. And it's entirely optional to buy it, so if you don't like the price, skip it!

#3156 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballer0415:

Could you order a standard LE with Smaug edition Smaug? Without paying $200. I'm still on the fence with which decals I like better, but I like the gold smaug better.

I was thinking the same thing but I'm just going to wait until Dec, 31st to decide. Hopefully by then we will see good photos of the complete and final SE and LE machines.

#3157 5 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

I wish they would do more than just mirror images on the SE, but they may have no choice.

#3158 5 years ago

I thought 200 was reasonable, and lower than I would have guessed. What should it be? 50 bucks!?

#3159 5 years ago

<<<We have had many inquires about purchasing a second Smaug™ Toy so the customer has both Smaug™ colors if they wish to interchange them in the future. If you would like to do this, the 2nd Smaug™ Toy will ship with your game for an additional $200, but will NOT be installed. This applies to both LE buyers and Smaug™ Gold Buyers, both have to option to purchase the additional colored Smaug™ Toy.>>>

Fair and reasonable service parts price.

#3161 5 years ago
Quoted from mummite:

» YouTube video

I think Smaug looks great. Big improvement!

But....Matt, come on man. Vertical video?!

#3162 5 years ago

best looking figure/head I've seen on a pinball

#3163 5 years ago

Looks great. The eyes are really nice. Can't wait to see them lit up!

Isn't the answer to the teeth that they'll be inset enough so that they'll be hidden when the mouth is closed (like all teeth are)?

#3164 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I LOVE that video RobT - man that is great! Thanks for sharing that. I will do my part to help stop this disease.

#3165 5 years ago

Thanks for the Smaug head video mummite. Looks great no matter whether it is vertical or horizontal.

#3166 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Great stuff. Thanks!

#3167 5 years ago

Pinchroma said:
Incorrect. Watch the video Hits register from the rear of the targets as well.
(From another thread)

Are there more than one sensor in the popups? Or are they unable to determine whether they have been hit from behind or from the "faceside"?

#3168 5 years ago

That gold one looks amazing, makes his eyes pop more, looks more mean. I think picking the SE was a wise choice. I like the gold powder coat too.

#3169 5 years ago

Look stunning, and in the lighting of a pinroom will look amazing. Am imagining the lights picking up the gold accents.

#3170 5 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

If they would put an other smaug on the right side of the cabinet that would make the look of this game imo perfect, but I don't know if we havn't asked to much changes already. Don't want to be to greedy. I am very happy how this game turned out now and if they don't change anything more it's also good for me.

the_hobbit_the_desolation_of_smaug_1920x1080_by_sachso74-d7sr1wl.jpg

#3171 5 years ago

A mock-up of the new Golden Smaug head in the game as shown on 'Pinball News'

The new one is so much better, the head really pops out now. Me like

20141125_54.jpg

http://www.pinballnews.com/games/hobbit/index13.html

#3172 5 years ago

And the old one for comparison

53.jpg

#3173 5 years ago

Nice mock up, with teeth and lighting effects Smaug will look fantastic.

JJP have really listened to feedback here.

edit: yes awesome job Matt!

#3174 5 years ago

Wow, the updated Smaug head looks awesome. Great job Matt! You really captured the look of the movie Smaug in the toy. The eyes look spot on and remind of the close up of them in the second film.

#3175 5 years ago

I still reckon the gold directly under the head should be the same color as the head i.e. be smaugs body / neck. Teeth could simply be offset with an opposing groove in the opposite jaw so that the mouth can fully close.
Smaug head looks awesome now.

#3176 5 years ago

PinPatch has a point, with just a small piece of neck he would look more 'whole'.

#3177 5 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

I still reckon the gold directly under the head should be the same color as the head i.e. be smaugs body / neck. Teeth could simply be offset with an opposing groove in the opposite jaw so that the mouth can fully close.
Smaug head looks awesome now.

I think the general consensus would be for a full body sprawled out in the back corner which would be awesome but just not going to happen. I'm okay with that and just looking forward to seeing and playing the final product.

#3178 5 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

I still reckon the gold directly under the head should be the same color as the head i.e. be smaugs body / neck.

I prefer the contrast between the gold pile and the new gold Smaug head. It really draws the eye to Smaug. Amazing job Matt!

#3179 5 years ago

Apologies if I missed a post but wasn't one of the things to be done to Smaug is the adding of teeth? The pictures show an updated Smaug, which looks great, but all the pictures I have seen the mouth appears to be closed and it doesn't appear that it opens. Has this changed or am I jumping the gun here and there is more to come?

#3180 5 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Apologies if I missed a post but wasn't one of the things to be done to Smaug is the adding of teeth? The pictures show an updated Smaug, which looks great, but all the pictures I have seen the mouth appears to be closed and it doesn't appear that it opens. Has this changed or am I jumping the gun here and there is more to come?

Smaug is not finished. Matt says teeth and lighted eyes are still to come.

#3181 5 years ago

Smaug with a neck would look better than simply a head. It would create the illusion of him coming out of the gold. Even if two thirds were neck and the bottom third gold as is, i think it would look better. This would work with the existing sculpt.

In regards to the lcd book it could have gone in the apron area clearing up the pop bumpers as well as removing air ball strikes. Good location to see where to shoot for especially when looking at flippers. As well would have made apron interactive

#3182 5 years ago

Smaug looks so good now that the gold pile is not up to snuff in comparison. In good Pinside fashion, I think we need to start "constructively criticizing" the gold pile more. It could look fantastic with better shading and some things other than coins added like in the movie.

#3183 5 years ago

For me it works like it is now. Smaugs body is in the dark behind, his head rests on a pile of gold. If they would make this pile of gold into his neck the angle between neck and gold would look awkward. Better leave it off in the dark for the imagination.

#3184 5 years ago

CoulD you add a covered slinky / hoop tunnel kind of thing from the top left back corner to the back of the head to have his body imagined in the ruins and it his neck / head "in camera" searching around? So it would twist turn a little as head pivots as is? Maybe a mod for later If people could do a nice smaug skin (non glossy, scaled).

Kids_Collapsible_Indoor_Outdoor_Hide_And_Seek_Tunnel_Play_Tent_Bumble_Bee__63946.1405375411.168.168.jpg
Tunnel.jpg

#3185 5 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

In good Pinside fashion, I think we need to start "constructively criticizing" the gold pile more. It could look fantastic with better shading and some things other than coins added like in the movie.

I think the yellow flasher could become the Arkenstone

#3186 5 years ago

oh smaug how you will never be what the community dreamed

#3187 5 years ago
Quoted from mummite:

» YouTube video

Quoted from VolunteerPin:

I think the general consensus would be for a full body sprawled out in the back corner which would be awesome but just not going to happen. I'm okay with that and just looking forward to seeing and playing the final product.

A claw, tail or something else to give the impression that the rest of the dragon is in the pinball machine somewhere would be nice. While the head is greatly improved and is now only in need of teeth, just the head isn't doing it for me yet.

I just need a little more to make me change my mind, but right now backing out is still on the table for me. Whereas pre-smaug reveal, there was no question I was getting this machine. Now they also changed the playfield artwork that I liked... I am still on the fence, but can be pretty easily swayed back onto the wagon.

#3188 5 years ago

Sorry to piss into the wind here, but the head looked great on its own.... bolted to the "pile of gold (wtf, btw), it loses much of its allure to me.

I wish I could love this game, but its looking more and more like a title ill play in the wild, but not one Id own. BTW, exactly the same disappointment I have with TWD- awesome theme for me personally, but not realized very well in the game... bummer.

#3189 5 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

A claw, tail or something else to give the impression that the rest of the dragon is in the pinball machine somewhere would be nice. While the head is greatly improved and is now only in need of teeth, just the head isn't doing it for me yet.

The assumption is that Jack is showing us real time changes on everything. I think some things are real time, but not everything. I believe Jack is holding back stuff to wow us at the final production reveal.

#3190 5 years ago
Quoted from jazc4:

The assumption is that Jack is showing us real time changes on everything. I think some things are real time, but not everything. I believe Jack is holding back stuff to wow us at the final production reveal.

He didn't do this on WOZ, why would they do it on the Hobbit? If anything it seems like the feedback from Expo was so negative that they are trying to rebuild confidence in the Preorder club.

#3191 5 years ago
Quoted from jazc4:

Jack doesn't know how to hold anything back to WOW. This is one of the main problems. Every single detail is always revealed every step of the way. Which is great for the people who have no patience for anything, but greatly hurts the impact and wow factor you would normally get from seeing a "completed" game for the first time. There are pros and cons to both sides. With Jacks method, he can get feedback from people so they can tell him what sucks and what is great. But on the flip side, you lose the compulsive buyers who would pull the trigger as soon as they see the game and have to have it instantly before having time to think about it.

#3192 5 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Sorry to piss into the wind here, but the head looked great on its own.... bolted to the "pile of gold (wtf, btw), it loses much of its allure to me.
I wish I could love this game, but its looking more and more like a title ill play in the wild, but not one Id own. BTW, exactly the same disappointment I have with TWD- awesome theme for me personally, but not realized very well in the game... bummer.

I would have liked a full bodied Smaug but that's not going to happen, this pin will shine in a home environment, in the wild usually sucks for pinball, not set up right, low volume bright room. As for TWD Its a tough theme to implement into pinball, the show is a drama not sure what they could have done. I like the gameplay and ruleset, might have been ruined if they went crazy trying to bring in all the actors over the span of the show. Its great, a survival based pin.

#3193 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

A mock-up of the new Golden Smaug head in the game as shown on 'Pinball News'
The new one is so much better, the head really pops out now. Me like

http://www.pinballnews.com/games/hobbit/index13.html

20141125_54.jpg 56 KB

That would be awesome if they bumped the size of the head a little bit like your mockup. It just looks a lot nicer at that scale. Either way, the new one looks nice.

#3194 5 years ago

Will the Hobbit LE And SE have a topper ?

#3195 5 years ago
Quoted from vega:

no topper on the Hobbit

#3196 5 years ago
Quoted from vega:

I heard it will be another Smaug head.

#3197 5 years ago

What a shame

#3198 5 years ago

I heard topper is a replacable hair spray bottle with a flint infront that simulates smaug fire breathing

#3199 5 years ago

The HOBBIT is shaping up nicely,

I'm staying in on my Preorder, but wonder how many preorders were cancelled after EXPO?

Jack has listened to the community, and I think that the game will be amazing.

WOZ Raised the bar for all pinball manufacturers and boutique makers and to better it JJP had a lot of work to do.

The quality of the HOBBIT at Expo was well below what JJP are capable of doing.
After hearing the problems/barriers on creative design on WOZ & THBT an unlicenced game or two will be a welcome break!

#3200 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

no topper on the Hobbit

That would be a shame if they're really not planning to include different toppers with the LE and SE. Hard to imagine though that they won't at least sell a topper considering the nice ones on WOZ and their focus on other upgrades like the thick decals. Smaug is already a major feature so it would be nice to have a topper that pulls in other aspects of the story.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 64 of 201.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside