Topic Stats

• 10,044 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 714 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOB (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
No.gif
IMG_9476_(resized).JPG
47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 63 of 201.
#3101 5 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

We pinsiders tend to be biased of course. If we bought a game or backed out of a game we tend to shape our view to match our decisions, but I have played this game much more in comparison to the honeymoon phase of STLE, ACDC, or SM.

Totally agree with this, I've played mine much more than my recent additions at the outset and there was never a honeymoon phase for me on that dog STLE, imo......

#3102 5 years ago

New Hobbit details..

Greetings Pinball Fans,

We recently returned from the IAAPA Amusement Show in Orlando, where we revealed an updated version of The LE Hobbit™ & Smaug™ Gold Special Edition along with a 75th Anniversary & Standard WOZ. We received extremely positive feedback from both longtime customers and people who had never seen our machines before.

Based on feedback from IAAPA regarding the Smaug™ toy, we have made some color changes. Smaug™ will also be showing his teeth in the production games. Please see below for updated images of Smaug!

Games Revealed at IAAPA included the following updates since it's last apperance at Pinball Expo:

+ Book LCD
+ Replaced VUK exit chutes with wireforms
+ Bumper enter/exit through Bag End (removed "Switch Mode" targets)
+ Laser etched Ramp lettering / RGB LEDs underneath
+ Smaug™ sculpt redesign
+ Gold pile in front of Smaug™
+ Columns, gold pile & lighting in upper left
+ Flasher lighting/domes (3 on left side, 3 on right side, 1 gold pile, 1 pop bumper)
+ New art on playfield plastics
+ Action button and RGB LED
+ New decals - arch, shooter, drops, ramps, spinners
+ 2 RGB LED Smaug™ lighting
+ Redesigned bumper barrels to accommodate book LCD
+ New backglass art
+ New drop target colors
+ Closed entrance to shooter lane from outlane

Yet to come for Production Games:

+ Bumper 10pt switch between top and right (through-the-bumper shot)
+ New Playfield art
+ Beast GI lighting
+ Smaug™ eyes lighting (single color)
+ Laser-cut ramp gate with added GI lighting
+ Smaller axes on slings
+ Teeth added to Smaug Toy

As a reminder, customers who currently have a Hobbit™ LE on order have until December 31st to decide if they would like to switch to a Smaug™ Gold. An LE can only be switched to an SE if a minimum of $4000 has been received from the customer or from the customer's distributor by 12/31/14. After this date, no new orders for Smaug™ Gold will be accepted.

We have had many inquires about purchasing a second Smaug™ Toy so the customer has both Smaug™ colors if they wish to interchange them in the future. If you would like to do this, the 2nd Smaug™ Toy will ship with your game for an additional $200, but will NOT be installed. This applies to both LE buyers and Smaug™ Gold Buyers, both have to option to purchase the additional colored Smaug™ Toy. If ordered directly through JJP, please email Jen@JerseyJackPinball.com to purchase. If ordered through a distributor, please contact them to order.

As far as the thick decals we are offering as an upgrade, we will have photos/videos of these in the next month or so to better understand what they are.
smaug.jpg
Updated Smaug™ Toy for LE Hobbit

s2.jpg

Updated Smaug™ Toy for Smaug™ Gold Special Edition

s3.jpg
Smaug Gold

s4.jpg

LE Hobbit

hobbit.jpg

Body Armor Colors - Left is for Gold Smaug

pw.jpg

for LE Hobbit:

pw2.jpg

#3103 5 years ago

Jack just sent pics of new Smaug gold toy! Looks awesome!

361.jpg
#3104 5 years ago

Damn, those are so much better than the gold alligator.

#3105 5 years ago

New photos of golden Smaug: (edit: dang! late to the party! Email said that Smaug will have teeth also.) IMO, this just keeps getting better and better.

This does not look like the same totally gold Smaug last seen. I like it.

Smaug gold 2.jpgSmaug gold.jpg

#3106 5 years ago

Also stated that pre-orders have until Dec 31 to decide between LE and SE.

#3107 5 years ago

Loving the red LE one , maybe just a little more black shadowing in the crevices to really make the scales pop?

Ok the picture isn't there anymore, why?

#3108 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Different strokes Rob, I love "the Walking Dud". I haven't had more fun playing a pin at the outset than this one, of every other pin that has come through the door.
The layout is great, because its different, the shots are "satisfying" and Lyman will do his usual great job on the rules.
Even though this is a "Hobbit Update", TWD is NOT a "dud", far from it!

Different strokes indeed. I guess that's what makes this hobby great. I just can't see what people like in this game from a layout standpoint. If you break down the shots from each flipper you have:

From right flipper -
Shoot standard drop target bank. I like drops but these are no where near as fun as inline drops like Metallica has.
Shoot left orbit which goes to pops.
Shoot left ramp which returns to same flipper. Whoop!
Shoot inner left orbit which goes to pops.
Backhand Well Walker
Attempt prison shot which is obscured by well walker.-Not worth trying!

From Left flipper
Bash Prison
Bash Well Walker
Shoot thru the pops. -I like this one.
Shoot Right ramp - returns to same flipper.
Woodbury shot- yet another shot that leads to the pops.

Lack of true backhand shots and cross shots really closes down this layout for me. Basically you either bashing one of the two bash targets, looping the same ramp shot or shooting the pops. It just feels like Borg phoned it in and didn't really think this layout through enough. Sure the LE has a few more shots but those shots close the layout out even more by closing off the left ramp (bicycle girl). and no unique shots from the crossbow.

#3109 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Different strokes indeed. I guess that's what makes this hobby great. I just can't see what people like in this game from a layout standpoint. If you break down the shots from each flipper you have:

I know what the shots are, and I love it, like you said, different strokes. Just because you can't "see it", myself and plenty others do. Some people like ST and I think it sucks. What are you gonna do.

I'm thrilled with my purchase as a fun pin that's only going to get better, and I've got no reason to pump it up, I could care less about "value", GL

#3110 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Nope.
Call it like I see it, regardless of whether I bought, preordered, or backed out.
If anything, I would be biased towards liking TWD since I'm a huge fan of the show and I have wanted a zombie themed pin more than any other theme since being in the hobby. These are still readily available if I wanted one.
Plus: my Avatar.

Cool. I always respect your opinion on games and think you offer really good insight on all things pinball.

#3111 5 years ago

Tough call but I think I would opt for the regular LE on this one. I like the look of the just the Red Smaug over the Red/Gold and think I prefer the dark silver powdercoat over the gold.-I'd have to compare in person to be sure though. Cabinet artwork is a tough call. I like the Smaug artwork better but it is kind of redundant having the same artwork on both sides along with a similar scene on the center of the playfield. I think I'd rather have the variety of the standard cabinet artwork since it features different scenes. The Smaug version is almost too much Smaug.-if there is a such thing.

#3112 5 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Can you pass your weed?

Hey, puff and pass, quit bogarting!

Edit: Dang new Smaug pics appeard since I had this tab open. Back on topic, let's stop talking about other games, there's new shit here.

IMHO the new gold Smaug looks great. Waaaaaay better. All gold was just too much, lost all the detail, looked weird.

#3113 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Different strokes Rob, I love "the Walking Dud". I haven't had more fun playing a pin at the outset than this one, of every other pin that has come through the door.
The layout is great, because its different, the shots are "satisfying" and Lyman will do his usual great job on the rules.
Even though this is a "Hobbit Update", TWD is NOT a "dud", far from it!

Sorry bud, I'm really glad that you are enjoying yours, but it fell completely flat for me. Nothing about the pin enticed me, and the layout is a huge negative.

Edit: sorry for the hijack.

I like the updated Smaug.

#3114 5 years ago

This is another sign that Jack and his team will be sure to make TH incredible to look at and fun to play.

#3115 5 years ago

Foof, $200 for a plastic head?

Too rich for my blood.

#3116 5 years ago

Damn, the new Smaug Gold looks great.
I'm just happy that I did not act prematurely this time and nagged Jen about changing my order to SE with red Smaug, cause I didn't like complete golden one that was shown on IAAPA eralier this week

#3117 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Sorry bud, I'm really glad that you are enjoying yours, but it fell completely flat for me. Nothing about the pin enticed me, and the layout is a huge negative.
Edit: sorry for the hijack.
I like the updated Smaug.

I hear ya, it's not gonna make everybody happy. I really love the layout! Good thing you didn't buy then. You played it first and didn't like it

Great to have choices these days. Carry on Hobbits!

#3118 5 years ago

The new Smaugs both look great! Well done JJP. I am getting the SE version and I think the gold Smaug may look best with the gold powder coat. That is my first impression anyway. Love that gold powder coat too. Thank you Jack and team.

#3119 5 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Too rich for my blood.

Then don't order a second head. You get your choice of either one without having to pay the $200.

#3120 5 years ago

Updated Smaug looks way better so is this the SE one red with gold highlights? The full gold was just to much. If so I think I will go with the red with gold highlights, looks much better.

#3121 5 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

The new Smaugs both look great! Well done JJP. I am getting the SE version and I think the gold Smaug may look best with the gold powder coat. That is my first impression anyway. Love that gold powder coat too. Thank you Jack and team.

Totally agree!

Now I just need to imagine Smaugs eyes with LEDs

#3122 5 years ago

But it looks like the mouth is not be able to move when talking. Looks like one piece.

Or is the buttom jaw not included in these pics?

#3123 5 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

But it looks like the mouth is not be able to move when talking. Looks like one piece.

Pretty sure both are shown and they are holding them together for the picture.

#3124 5 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

They are showing it closed, I think, because they have not yet given him the teeth that are still to be added.

#3125 5 years ago

Ah, ok.

Cheers.

#3126 5 years ago

So all those words to say

+ Teeth added to Smaug Toy

We already knew the rest of that.

That being said, I am not sure, but I think I might like the gold one better now. All gold looked not so good, but the using just gold highlighting actually shows more detail. Maybe if the red one had some lighter red highlighting I could go back to liking the red one. As far as stock paint jobs go though, I may switch to SE now. Still waiting to see how things play out.

We could at least use some more contrast on the LE versions "boney bits" on his chin and other areas. Maybe a just a shade or 2 lighter in color for the boney bits.

#3127 5 years ago

I hope that the teeth fit in a way to have them not showing when the mouth is fully closed.

#3128 5 years ago

Yeah, yeah, yeah, but let's talk more about Stern pins on this thread.

#3129 5 years ago

Whether Red or gold still...Smaug™ looks like he's cozying up under a gold sequined comforter....I feel like getting him a hot Cocoa...

#3130 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I hope that the teeth fit in a way to have them not showing when the mouth is fully closed.

That was my thought as well. In the movie his teeth do not show when his mouth is fully closed, so I'm sure Matt will come up with something clever. With the tongue and lit eyes added, this will end up being a very nicely detailed toy. Very happy so far.

EDIT: Upon looking further, I wish both Smaugs had some black washes applied to bring out more of the scale details. That would be a home run for me

#3131 5 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

That was my thought as well. In the movie his teeth do not show when his mouth is fully closed, so I'm sure Matt will come up with something clever. With the tongue and lit eyes added, this will end up being a very nicely detailed toy. Very happy so far.

This is just being overly picky, id imagine its either teeth or no teeth. I highly doubt they add retractable teeth to this toy. Its not gonna be an exact representation of a cgi smaug.

#3132 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I finally had the chance to play TWD yesterday. Played it for over an hour.
I'm afraid that I will now be referring to that game as The Walking Dud.
That was the least fun pin that I have played in a very long time. The layout is terrible. The ball exiting the pops caused a SDTM drain about a third of the time. The prison magnet is stupid. I got several SDTM drains from the magnet releasing the ball. Ball is in the pops far too much. Theme implementation is absolutely horrible.
I'm so glad that I backed out of my preorder on this. Ugh.
Just my opinion so take it easy.

You won't admit it but you went into your game time with bias, we can't all like the same thing and now you know how I feel about Tron, Ugh. Back to Hobbit, really torn on whether or not to get the SE, I kinda like the seaside bronze amour and now with that fantastic Smaug pic on the playfield wouldn't mind the OG art which is kinda cool. Mmmmm

#3133 5 years ago
Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

This is just being overly picky, id imagine its either teeth or no teeth. I highly doubt they add retractable teeth to this toy. Its not gonna be an exact representation of a cgi smaug.

Maybe the teeth will be made of silicon so they will tuck away? Idk just spitballin.

#3134 5 years ago

I switched to a SE day it was announced. In Lord of the Rings movies I knew every person in the Fellowship and they did a good job of making you have an emotional investment in each. I have watched both Hobbit movies a couple of times and basically only know and care about Bilbo and one or two dwarves (evidence here is I can't even remember the main dwarf's name right now). I know Gandalf and Radagast (?spelling) but the main troop of dwarves just doesn't feel the same as the Fellowship.

Oh, yeah, and I KNOW Smaug! He, to me, is a very central figure and I can't complain about having a pin which is full of a redundant bad-a$$ dragon. Hopefully the main Smaug figure will continue to improve.

I know I'm looking forward to this pin a lot.

#3135 5 years ago

Pretty sure the teeth could be sculpted in a way with the lower jaw inset that will allow the jaw to close. They don't need to be retractable. He'll just have overbite.

#3136 5 years ago
Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

I wasn't suggesting complex retractable teeth. But they will find a way to have the jaw fully shut as pictured & space cut out inside the mouth for the teeth to fit when the mouth is closed. Can't be that difficult.

Judging how harsh the studio has been with approvals.....yes, the premier character featured on the table is going to look as close to his CGI representation as possible. I think they're practically there already. It's a great looking sculpt.

#3137 5 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

I switched to a SE day it was announced. In Lord of the Rings movies I knew every person in the Fellowship and they did a good job of making you have an emotional investment in each. I have watched both Hobbit movies a couple of times and basically only know and care about Bilbo and one or two dwarves (evidence here is I can't even remember the main dwarf's name right now). I know Gandalf and Radagast (?spelling) but the main troop of dwarves just doesn't feel the same as the Fellowship.
Oh, yeah, and I KNOW Smaug! He, to me, is a very central figure and I can't complain about having a pin which is full of a redundant bad-a$$ dragon. Hopefully the main Smaug figure will continue to improve.
I know I'm looking forward to this pin a lot.

Yep...Bilbo, Gandalf, Thorin, maybe Radagast and Balin(old dwarf with long white beard?)...after that they're all the same interchangeable dudes. Smaug edition? Yes please. Gold armor, gold Smaug, bonus attract mode, way better cabinet artwork...no brainer really.

#3138 5 years ago

There's a nice display of Smaug's head at the Wellington International Airport.
http://nerdapproved.com/movies/smaug-greets-passengers-at-wellington-airport/

Nifty video of the assembling of the head is here:
https://www.wellingtonairport.co.nz/news/smaug-the-great-dragon-of-middle-earth-lies-in-wait-at-wellington-airport-to-thrill-travellers/

(The one in the game is about 1/28th the size.)

#3139 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Some people like ST and I think it sucks. What are you gonna do.

I'm going to argue with you indefinitely on here till you say ST is the best and Im blue in the face.

#3140 5 years ago
Quoted from check_switch_26:

There's a nice display of Smaug's head at the Wellington International Airport.
http://nerdapproved.com/movies/smaug-greets-passengers-at-wellington-airport/
Nifty video of the assembling of the head is here:
https://www.wellingtonairport.co.nz/news/smaug-the-great-dragon-of-middle-earth-lies-in-wait-at-wellington-airport-to-thrill-travellers/
(The one in the game is about 1/28th the size.)

Beautiful paint job on that.

#3141 5 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

I'm going to argue with you indefinitely on here till you say ST is the best and Im blue in the face.

People who don't like STLE hate pinball.

#3142 5 years ago

That Smaug sculpture at the Wellington Airport looks stupid. Not only does it not talk to you, but it doesn't eat pinballs either. WTF were they thinking?!?

#3143 5 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

People who don't like STLE hate pinball.

I just sold my pro. Pretty game but I could not get into the ruleset at all. Every mode was the same thing over and over again. People like different things though so to each there own.

Love the new SE smaug, can't wait to see it with teeth.

#3144 5 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Well I might be exaggerating a bit! I don't know of a pin that really sucks other than Tron ( jk sort of)

STLE was a huge let down for me as a pre order with JJ, thought we were getting the LCD, then Stern goes for the money grab, charges more, delivers less and made 799.

I can see it now that you can get em for $6500 or so. In my book, all pins are great, some are greater than others!

#3145 5 years ago

I prefer SM over any of the ST models

Btw smaug is looking much nicer

#3146 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

I just sold my pro. Pretty game but I could not get into the ruleset at all. Every mode was the same thing over and over again. People like different things though so to each there own.
Love the new SE smaug, can't wait to see it with teeth.

I thought that at first with my STLE the same shots but in the last code it varies more, and hopefully continues in the final update. TWDLE I love right away in its early code, STLE is growing on me big time. Seems to be better once I put TWDLE beside it? I don't know, I want my Hobbit.

#3147 5 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Too rich for my blood.

200$ head is crazy...is that with or without teeth?

#3148 5 years ago
Quoted from vex:

Depends on the girl.

#3149 5 years ago

That SE Smaug looks way better now! Thank you JJP for listening.

#3150 5 years ago
Quoted from vex:

i think for $200 your going to get a complete mech not just a couple pieces of plastic.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 88.00
£ 58.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods
There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 63 of 201.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside