Topic Stats

• 10,044 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 714 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOB (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
No.gif
IMG_9476_(resized).JPG
47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 62 of 201.
#3052 5 years ago
Quoted from PBFan:

Ah no. IM has 2 interactive Magnet Toys - Whiplash and Iron monger (which rises out of the playfield). The illusions are complete here also but yet IM is always deadpanned as a low BOM cost-cutting machine. None of these mechanisms (ST or IM) could truly meet the definition of an interactive Toy any more than Smaug in it's current iteration could. Illusion is not interaction. Even true bash-toys (like the Well walker or Balrog) can only be considered interactive in the simplest definition - like drop-targets or scoops that fire the ball.
True interactive toys need to have some complexity and mechanical interaction with the ball. Not saying that you always need interactive toys. Providing great illusion that allows a game to pull us in is fantastic and I do agree that ST does that but it doesn't really constitute a solid interactive toy by it's own merits.
I think that after so many decades of pinball, many of us are just looking to be blown away by something more revolutionary. If we consider how far computers and video games have come along; pinball by comparison has stagnated (until recently - as we are finally seeing some new ideas, although not mind-blowing).
Great Hobby though.
Sorry for the slight change in topic. Looking forward to seeing the Hobbit and what it has to offer.

Ah yes. IM's toys are junk compared to the Vengeance. Did you not ready my list?

#3053 5 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Ah yes. IM's toys are junk compared to the Vengeance. Did you not ready my list?

That I agree with...but why is IM way more fun than ST??

#3054 5 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

You're way off. I loved my IM but its not fit to carry STLE's jock strap.

#3055 5 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I guess you like drain monsters!

#3056 5 years ago

IM is old news now with the release of TWD sorry but its true. With Met Pre, STLE, TWDLE borg has surpassed that game ten fold. JMO

#3057 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

IM is old news now with the release of TWD sorry but its true. With Met Pre, STLE, TWDLE borg has surpassed that game ten fold. JMO

Borg didn't do STLE!

#3058 5 years ago

I know. Didn't phrase it right, more that the style of speed and fast flow modern pins in the last few years has trumped IM for me. I was going to get IMVE but glad I didn't now. TWDLE is such a great pin. I'm really glad JJP did a an open concept for The Hobbit, looks very cool.

#3059 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

IM is old news now with the release of TWD sorry but its true.

Funny, you say that like you actually mean it.

#3060 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

You're way off. I loved my IM but its not fit to carry STLE's jock strap.

LOL! Fair enough...different strokes.

#3061 5 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Because, it just is.

#3062 5 years ago

Can anyone direct me to the "The Hobbit" thread?

I seem to have stumbled into the "IM vs STLE" thread and can't find my way out.

#3063 5 years ago

Yeah this thread was epically derailed.

#3064 5 years ago

Well anything is better than what was happening on this thread. Maybe that's why? Ok back to strictly negative comments from non owners and people who have backed out. Go.

#3065 5 years ago

IMG_2999.JPG
#3066 5 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Please....the Vengeance is the most interactive toy since the castle in Medieval Madness.
It functions as all of the following.
1. Bash toy that reacts when hit. (Yes, I know the ball doesn't touch it, but the ship is part of the whole mechanism, and the illusion is complete. Quite ingenious, since it saves the toy from damage.)
2. Ball Lock (virtual and magnet)
3. Skill shot target
4. Defeated mode (Premium and LE)
and something the castle doesn't do.....
5. Fires ball back at you.

The most interactive toy since MM is the crane on Batman. Regardless of whether it really fits the theme or not, it's way more interactive than anything else.

#3067 5 years ago

Back to our regularly scheduled program...Hobbit. Anyone else think JJP will reveal a surprise Topper to be included for the LE/SEs? I bet there will be one.

#3068 5 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

The most interactive toy since MM is the crane on Batman. Regardless of whether it really fits the theme or not, it's way more interactive than anything else.

And I hope the controlled droptargets in the Hobbit can bring the same effect the crane had in BDK - dynamic targets.

#3069 5 years ago

Here's a prediction that's actually relevant and may get us back on topic.

I predict that Keith will take a central timer based approach that is similar to TSPP, where multiple modes can run concurrently all on a single count down clock. I base this assumption on the fact that the left ramp now has laser cut into it the words 'Book/Time', so perhaps hitting the ramp adds time to a countdown timer. This would be a good approach, as it allows lots of stacking possibilities. Since this game will have near 30 modes, stacking them will be a large part of the fun. A single timer makes the most sense, with all running modes ending if you can't complete them before the timer runs out.

This is one of my personal favorite features of TSPP, I'm hoping I'm right that it's making a comeback.

Also, I hope if a timer is employed that it's a creative one that makes good use of the book LCD rather than just a boring static countdown. Just an idea, but something symbolic, like perhaps a video clip where a dwarf is eating Bilbo out of house and home. Hit the ramp and add time and Bilbo brings out another dish. Let the timer run down, and the dwarf runs out of food, burps and the modes all end. Of course something like this could get old, so perhaps a rotating set of different video countdowns, or just do it occasionally.

#3070 5 years ago

Though I like that the VUKs are now wire, do the VUK's need to sit so high? Can they be given a lower profile? that candy cane look just isn't so cool looking to me.

Here is a link the whitewood for the original wire ramps. Not too bad really. I like the VUKs snake like return in the whitewood.

I actually like the ways these looks a bit more, but they moved them closer to the edge to not obstruct the PF view. This is fine, but it seems like it made the VUKs look a bit boring. Thoughts? I would like to see the current VUKs styled a bit more. Not a big deal, but I think it would help continue to improve the aesthetics of the game.

#3071 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

This is a classic case of being in serious lust. 5 years from now, lets see how you feel about any of those titles. Then you will truly know.

#3072 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

This is a classic case of being in serious lust. 5 years from now, lets see how you feel about any of those titles. Then you will truly know.

I'm hoping in five years they have all been replaced by even better pins. Sorry old timer but I think its over for the era of classics. I know most guys will disagree with that but I'm done with 90's B/W's and really any of the older pins. I tried again to enjoy some older stuff and it just felt slow and dated next to STLE and TWDLE, I think the next few years are going to bring some really great innovations and the best pins yet. Just my opinion so take it easy, go have a game of TAF or TZ, maybe highspeed relax and have a drink if need be, I'm glad if you like them. But know that its over.

#3073 5 years ago

I think it's more of a case of ADD than anything else.

#3074 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I think it's more of a case of ADD than anything else.

wrong.

#3075 5 years ago

your collection history and current setup says different. If that isn't a classic case of ADD, I don't know what is. It takes at least 50-100 games just to break in a new game to make it playable. Then takes about 500 games to truly dig in and get to know what a game has to offer. 40% of your collection is a figment collection. When games hold the tests of time and still awesome after 5 to 10 years, then you know you have something special.

#3076 5 years ago

No offense Neo but we can't have this debate as we are from different worlds, believe me. Your probably a nice man so I apologize and lets leave it at that. It doesn't take me 500 games to know if I like a game or not and the explanation will not make sense to you, but I understand why you could assume your diagnosis is just, but its not. Anyway if you like the older pins and you think I'm in a lust phase or whatever, cool.

#3077 5 years ago

fair enough, i'm just giving you shit anyway. Play what you like. If we all like the same shit, my games would be to expensive for me to buy.

#3078 5 years ago

Yes, and I have something just not ADD I'm glad if your happy with your collection. The pins I really want will never be made, but a few are coming close finally so I am overly enthusiastic right now. Feel free to give me shit whenever you think I need it. Later

#3079 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I'm hoping in five years they have all been replaced by even better pins. Sorry old timer but I think its over for the era of classics. I know most guys will disagree with that but I'm done with 90's B/W's and really any of the older pins.

Time to take Centaur and Funhouse off your wishlist then.

Sure the new games are mad fun and we all hope they get better and better, but to say the classics are done stick a fork in them, is just silly IMHO. Too much fun there to never play again...

#3080 5 years ago

Not to never play again or even own just that they can't compare, its my silly opinion that's all. I know I'm in the minority but some pinsiders will agree with that statement and just don't want the backlash where as I don't mind at all. Someone has to say it. Centaur I would buy strictly for the evil factor and Funhouse is the last of the B/W I've yet to own and need to for a while, to many memories there. Like I said to CNeo no need for analyzing my comments just say that guy is whacked and move on.

#3081 5 years ago

Hazoff...we've agreed on many things in the past, so I really do say this with all due respect. But I think you're wrong in brushing off all the old games in favor of new ones. The new games have all the bling, but in terms of gameplay, they simply don't hold up. It's like comparing new video games to some of the old Mario games--those classics may not look as pretty, but they're fun and addictive as hell. The wonderful thing about this moment in pinball is that we're privileged enough to enjoy the best of both worlds.

Now, then: Any updates on The Hobbit?

#3082 5 years ago

I agree, listen I'm surprised in myself. I've sold off the older games in my collection as it became a case that I had to like them due to being classics and all that, yet I play only the new stuff. Its goes the other way to my friend, I know a lot of guys who hate the new Sterns and I'm cool with that we can't agree on everything, yeah the B/W's 90's stuff is great but like the classic video games which I also tried to like again, built a whole mame cab and have AL's 3 yet I'll play Batman Arkham City or Darksiders its tough to go and enjoy DKong. Lets leave this alone now, I should have never posted that.

#3083 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Though I like that the VUKs are now wire, do the VUK's need to sit so high? Can they be given a lower profile? that candy cane look just isn't so cool looking to me.
Here is a link the whitewood for the original wire ramps. Not too bad really. I like the VUKs snake like return in the whitewood.
» YouTube video
I actually like the ways these looks a bit more, but they moved them closer to the edge to not obstruct the PF view. This is fine, but it seems like it made the VUKs look a bit boring. Thoughts? I would like to see the current VUKs styled a bit more. Not a big deal, but I think it would help continue to improve the aesthetics of the game.

I hadn't really realized the change was so big on the VUKs but I 100% agree with you now that I've seen this again. Those old VUK wireforms look much cooler and seem to flow nicer than what is being shown on the newest model.

#3084 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I know most guys will disagree with that but I'm done with 90's B/W's and really any of the older pins. I tried again to enjoy some older stuff and it just felt slow and dated next to STLE and TWDLE

I just like pinball.

I have 3 Sterns, 3 Bally/Williams, and 2 EMs. I enjoy them all. They all play differently, and give me difference experiences, and match different moods. Do I still put the most games on my Metallica? Yup, still love that game, no question. But it's nice to slow down and take the EM challenge too. They're not easy!

One thing that's great about the 70s Gottliebs is they're drop target heaven. Drops are just damn fun, they're satisfying to hit like nothing else. The Hobbit brings that back. Stern has been treating drops like some crazy expensive thing that you gotta pony up the serious cash to get. I miss them being a standard feature.

I want to see what Keith does with them all!

#3085 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I'm hoping in five years they have all been replaced by even better pins. Sorry old timer but I think its over for the era of classics. I know most guys will disagree with that but I'm done with 90's B/W's and really any of the older pins. I tried again to enjoy some older stuff and it just felt slow and dated next to STLE and TWDLE,....

Just my opinion so take it easy

I finally had the chance to play TWD yesterday. Played it for over an hour.

I'm afraid that I will now be referring to that game as The Walking Dud.

That was the least fun pin that I have played in a very long time. The layout is terrible. The ball exiting the pops caused a SDTM drain about a third of the time. The prison magnet is stupid. I got several SDTM drains from the magnet releasing the ball. Ball is in the pops far too much. Theme implementation is absolutely horrible.

I'm so glad that I backed out of my preorder on this. Ugh.

Just my opinion so take it easy.

#3086 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I just like pinball.

Stopped reading after this blatant trolling. This is no place for wild statements such as this

#3087 5 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

I hadn't really realized the change was so big on the VUKs

I actually do prefer the whitewood VUKs over the current the more I look at it. I think it is soo cool having the ball return in cool looking rails. Also, don't give me the argument that it is to show more PF art...WOZ has two rails that cross right across the center and I think it is a good look.

#3088 5 years ago

Also, I really like the barrel poppers - hopefully they can still show them prominently even with the Book LCD - that corner was shaping up to look so cool in the original design. All that water and barrels would look really nice up there.

#3089 5 years ago

The Walking Dud. Love it!

very true and how I currently feel aboutthe game also.

#3090 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I actually do prefer the whitewood VUKs over the current the more I look at it. I think it is soo cool having the ball return in cool looking rails. Also, don't give me the argument that it is to show more PF art...WOZ has two rails that cross right across the center and I think it is a good look.

Wow! I hadn't realized the difference. I just assumed they went back to the originals.

I agree that I like the original design far better. The current VUKs are big and arching that drop the ball dead on the underlying wireform. The originals were smaller wireforms that fed the ball with flow into the ball return wireforms. I like the look and the fluidity of the originals much better. I wonder why they changed?

#3091 5 years ago

I noticed it right away, and thought 'oh man, why did they do that!?' - if they don't go back to the original VUKs at least pretty up what they have now - please

#3092 5 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

I hadn't really realized the change was so big on the VUKs but I 100% agree with you now that I've seen this again. Those old VUK wireforms look much cooler and seem to flow nicer than what is being shown on the newest model.

The new ones are faster and don't block the view as much.

#3093 5 years ago

not sure they are faster, they drop the ball to the side. the originals fire it toward the front to intersect with the other rail. I haven't timed it, but it looks like it get the flipper at about the same time with either design. And the original VUK design may give better visibility the back corner / book LCD anyway...

#3094 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

not sure they are faster, they drop the ball to the side. the originals fire it toward the front to intersect with the other rail. I haven't timed it, but it looks like it get the flipper at about the same time with either.

Maybe it's the pitch of the white wood? Eh, I'm good with either.

#3095 5 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

Can you pass your weed? The crane doesn't do half the thing the castle or Vengeance does.

#3096 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

That was the least fun pin that I have played in a very long time. The layout is terrible. The ball exiting the pops caused a SDTM drain about a third of the time. The prison magnet is stupid. I got several SDTM drains from the magnet releasing the ball. Ball is in the pops far too much. Theme implementation is absolutely horrible.

(talking about TWD again, sorry for hijacking that thread).

Good to know I am not alone: I had the exact same impression. I put some games on it, and had the same issues. Finally walked away to play Mustang and Star trek which were far more fun.

This game will need some adjustments to become enjoyable (not talking about code). My trouble is that no Op around will perform them... So most games on location will remain bad.

#3097 5 years ago

I'm in on a SE for $7,500. I have been closely following all the threads and really, at the end of the day, I wish I could just play it. I had a wedding to go to so I could attend Expo and was out of town on business during IAAPA. I really think I am done with pre-ordering for the foreseeable future, but I justify to myself somewhat by telling myself I am in for about what I paid for TWDLE.

I think TH will offer unique gameplay and fun variety for a collection. I have 4 Williams, 4 Sterns, and one JJP. I like the variety and being able to play different type of games based on what I feel like at the time. TH will definitely be different...hopefully fun as well!

P.S. I have almost 200 plays on TWDLE and I love it. Having 3 Richie games with more standard layouts I love the unique feel. I think the music, shots, art, dots, rule set so far, are all very awesome. Of course I would love the callouts to be better, the toys to be more creative/interactive (looking at Stern's body of work though, MM castle like toys are not what they do, so I don't expect that), and for it to have an LCD, but I think it more than holds up to any modern pin.

We pinsiders tend to be biased of course. If we bought a game or backed out of a game we tend to shape our view to match our decisions, but I have played this game much more in comparison to the honeymoon phase of STLE, ACDC, or SM.

#3098 5 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

We pinsiders tend to be biased of course. If we bought a game or backed out of a game we tend to shape our view to match our decisions

Nope.

Call it like I see it, regardless of whether I bought, preordered, or backed out.

If anything, I would be biased towards liking TWD since I'm a huge fan of the show and I have wanted a zombie themed pin more than any other theme since being in the hobby. These are still readily available if I wanted one.

Plus: my avatar.

#3099 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I finally had the chance to play TWD yesterday. Played it for over an hour.
I'm afraid that I will now be referring to that game as The Walking Dud.
I'm so glad that I backed out of my preorder on this. Ugh.
Just my opinion so take it easy.

I couldn't agree more. Borg's hot streak is over. It's just not a good design. I like the skill-shot but besides that the layout is a kludgy mess. From the 2 left orbits that lead to the pops to the way the ball exits the pops it just doesn't seem well thought out. Plus there are no backhand opportunities and shots to the ramps come back to the same flipper vs. criss-crossing. If you play a game like ACDC or Star Trek and then play TWD it just feels clunky in comparison. It's a shame because the artwork and theme are great and they have one of the best programmers in the business working on it. No offense to those that love it, this is just my personal opinion. I honestly think Mustang is a better game and I'm by no means a big fan of that one.

#3100 5 years ago

Different strokes Rob, I love "the Walking Dud". I haven't had more fun playing a pin at the outset than this one, of every other pin that has come through the door.

The layout is great, because its different, the shots are "satisfying" and Lyman will do his usual great job on the rules.

Even though this is a "Hobbit Update", TWD is NOT a "dud", far from it!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
$ 88.00
Machine - For Sale
Asheboro, NC
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 62 of 201.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside