Topic Stats

• 10,044 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 714 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOB (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
No.gif
IMG_9476_(resized).JPG
47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 60 of 201.
#2951 5 years ago
Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

Is there anyone from JJP that can answer a question on whether we will be able to buy an extra red smaug if we go with the gold version? I would want both as an option at home.

Me too, I like the red smaug, it has better contrast that the gold at this point in time.
I might change my mind if they fix it up a bit before production so that it doesn't get lost in the pile of gold coins.

#2952 5 years ago

I would want both as an option at home.

If you have extra money KCP, I'm sure JJP will gladly take it! (<---)
Seriously though,
I've purchased extra stuff for WOZ in the past so, you should be able to do the same with TH.

#2953 5 years ago

Is there anyone from JJP that can answer a question on whether we will be able to buy an extra red smaug if we go with the gold version? I would want both as an option at home.

That's what I like to know too!

#2954 5 years ago

Hey Keefer, how is the code coming along?

Really looking forward to seeing this pin coming alive with some mode awesomeness.

I really like the idea of using the third flipper to activate the kick back feature and I am sure you will find plenty of other uses for the third flipper, also.

This pin must have been a Herculean task, but if anyone can make it shine it is you.

Keep up the good work!

#2955 5 years ago

As I was discussing the playfield layout of TH with one of my pinball friends we both came to the conclusion that you cannot judge a pin on layout only. Interesting to see is what theme, art, music, sound effects, rules and animations can add to the layout of a pin and give it an identity

Take a look at The Sopranos and Lord of the Rings. Do you see it

#2956 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

So why did LOTR's production go so smoothly? There was never a ball going thru a ring or hitting the Balrog, yet, they're in the game. The DMD shows a ball going into the tower when you get the Tower Skill Shot. They were also given access to all 3 movies before they were released, and got Frodo and Gimli for custom voices.

I usually don't go down this road but i heavily doubt that this whole "you may not hit the Dragon" stuff really is a limitation by the license holders. Just look at when this argument comes up - it always happens when a cost intense solution is dropped for a cheaper one.

Even if this is the case, maybe the problem is that they are discussing to much. Ask a lot of questions and you get a lot of answers...
It is risky, but confronting someone with accomplished facts often leads to completely different results than limiting the possibilities by upfront discussions. This is especially valid if the party you are arguing with has no connection to the product you are designing and lacks imagination of what the outcome could be.

#2957 5 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

It is risky, but confronting someone with accomplished facts often leads to completely different results than limiting the possibilities by upfront discussions. This is especially valid if the party you are arguing with has no connection to the product you are designing and lacks imagination of what the outcome could be.

And also potentially wastes a TON of time and money building something you won't be allowed to use. Which is why license holders want information and approvals up front.

That whole "It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission" thing doesn't work with licensing.

#2958 5 years ago

Hard to believe JJP did not bring the Hobbit to Free Play Florida this weekend. The show this weekend is literally 2 minutes from IAAPA too. Hundreds of games, great show, thousands of people and no Hobbit or WOZ for that matter. Guess I'll go back into the show, play some TWD and talk to Gary.

#2959 5 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Hard to believe JJP did not bring the Hobbit to Free Play Florida this weekend. The show this weekend is literally 2 minutes from IAAPA too.

I would imagine it is hard to do two shows, a thousand miles from home. The logisitcs to do one is a lot of work.

Even if only two minutes away, you don't just walk in the door and it happens.

And you can't be gone from work/home all the time. Or cover every show.

If FPF wants them next year, maybe contact Jack and ask what is needed in help and assistance to make it possible.

LTG : )™

#2960 5 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Hard to believe JJP did not bring the Hobbit to Free Play Florida this weekend. The show this weekend is literally 2 minutes from IAAPA too. Hundreds of games, great show, thousands of people and no Hobbit or WOZ for that matter. Guess I'll go back into the show, play some TWD and talk to Gary.

#2961 5 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

You should've taken the TWO minutes to head over to IAAPA yourself...

They can't attend EVERY show. IAAPA is the right show to go to over FPF.

#2962 5 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Funny they were at both shows the last three years in a row. Oh well their loss. But you are the expert.

#2963 5 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Who is the jjp distributor in that area? They should be covering that show.

#2964 5 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

pinballsales.com

#2965 5 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Yes they are...

#2966 5 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

pinballsales.com

Uhh no. In Florida I think it's curly?

#2967 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Yes I think you are correct Alex.

#2968 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Mybad, I thought Pinballsales.com sells in Florida. Does JJP have "protected territories" now?

#2969 5 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Mybad, I thought Pinballsales.com sells in Florida. Does JJP have "protected territories" now?

Give it a rest. You know all distribs can sell everywhere. But curly is the local distrib in Florida. You really are cranky Bruce.

#2970 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Give it a rest. You know all distribs can sell everywhere. But curly is the local distrib in Florida. You really are cranky Bruce.

Not cranky in the least bit Alex. Quite happy as a matter of fact. Never heard of Curly Distributing. Guessing you mean Little Shop of Games. However, they are not on the list of official JJP distributors on the JJP site. How was I supposed to know this? Is there another list somewhere or perhaps a secret list out there?

#2971 5 years ago

Yes LSOG is the local jjp distributor. They set up the jjp booth. The hobbits were taken back to jjp right after IAPPA.

#2972 5 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

With respect, this would not be correct in my case. My work is very, very busy thus there was no way I could go to IAAPA, but with the weekend I could go one day to Free Play and I did. I have been in on the Hobbit for ~1.5 years and I was VERY disappointed to see that there was no Hobbit at Free Play. This would have been my only chance to play a $7500+ machine before taking possession. With all that I have seen, read about, and heard from those that have played the Hobbit the no show at Free Play ended my current involvement in the Hobbit as I have now cancelled my pre-order. I admit I am very sad to do this as I have been very excited for the pin, but after what I have watched (video), read, and heard from the Chicago Expo and now IAAPA/Free Play I am far too uncomfortable with the state of the pin to proceed.

I do wish JJP all the best and success in the future. I still hope to own a JJP one day.

#2973 5 years ago

I was disappointed JJP didn't bring TH to the Houston Expo. Like you, locally is the only place I would get to see it before receiving it. However, I am quite encouraged by what was posted from IAAPA. I can't wait to get mine.

#2974 5 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Agreed. I haven't seen Jurassic Park in a few years, but I'm pretty sure the T-REX didn't eat a pinball.
Seems like Spielberg is a lot more lenient....or at least imaginative.

The T-Rex only ate the guy on the toilet. It Is really scary for kids 4 and under. We had to remove the pin from some Carmike cinema locations due to the ball being gobbled up. I never understood until I watched the movie with my 4 year old who loved dinosaurs up to that point. I still remember the one cinema manager demanding we get the pin out now, we can't have kids crying and saying " mommy take me home" and the dads being forced to get refunds. The best license ever costs us as we ordered 6 and had to remove 4 of them in the first week and incredibly Data East had us the pins 2 days before the movie opened.

#2975 5 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Here is another video from a different thread:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/NBhYEBH6VVY?autoplay=1&rel=0
Though short, gameplay seems pretty decent. I don't think it looked slow at all. Smaug seems to growl a lot and I did not hear any talking all of which, of course, is totally dependent on code.
I'm in for the SE so I do have skin in the game, so I'm probably biased and have some hopeful thinking. I had a WOZLE but traded it before I think the code got very far along. Overall I think I miss it and perhaps will get another down the road sometime. I don't want to give up on this game for whatever reason and perhaps my feeling of a little regret concerning the WOZ plays into this some.
As far as the Hobbit goes, I think I'll probably go with the red Smaug toy if nothing else changes. It is unfortunate that Smaug isn't more interactive physically. Hopefully there will be a significant amount of bantering coming from him which would be fun and 'interactive' verbally at least.

I have two new in the box Ruby Red Limited Editions in stock. Come on up and take one home.

#2976 5 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

It's a huge arcade show, with a PAPA circuit event, with hundreds of potential future customers, with your competition, your distributor and the heart and soul of your fanbase all in attendance.

And literally RIGHT NEXT DOOR.

Their absence was deliberate, and very odd. Everyone was talking about it. "Where's Hobbit?" Especially when Jack has always gone to the show since the first one. Gary was there, all smiles, walking around playing and talking pinball with everyone. Curly was there. All the PAPA guys, the Sharpes, etc. Trust us, it was odd. John is simply echoing what was expressed by the majority of players and collectors in attendance, and his post is accurate.

#2977 5 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

It's a huge arcade show, with a PAPA circuit event, with hundreds of potential future customers, with your competition, your distributor and the heart and soul of your fanbase all in attendance.
And literally RIGHT NEXT DOOR.
Their absence was deliberate, and very odd. Everyone was talking about it. "Where's Hobbit?" Especially when Jack has always gone to the show since the first one. Gary was there, all smiles, walking around playing and talking pinball with everyone. Curly was there. All the PAPA guys, the Sharpes, etc. Trust us, it was odd. John is simply echoing what was expressed by the majority of players and collectors in attendance, and his post is accurate.

Did you ask Curly why he did not have a booth set up supporting JJP? Since he is the Florida dest.?

#2978 5 years ago

The 800 pound gorilla here is the Expo flop and all the cancelled orders. JJP and The Hobbit HAD to be a IAAPA. Not to mention IAAPA is a much softer venue for pinball. 99.9% of the people who go there haven't played pinball in 20 years if ever - believe me, I've been there. On the other hand FPF is a huge pinball show with all the main players there ready to critique the game. JJP did not want to chance a second flop in a month's time with the game about to release.

#2979 5 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

The 800 pound gorilla here is the Expo flop and all the cancelled orders. JJP and The Hobbit HAD to be a IAAPA. Not to mention IAAPA is a much softer venue for pinball. 99.9% of the people who go there haven't played pinball in 20 years if ever - believe me, I've been there. On the other hand FPF is a huge pinball show with all the main players there ready to critique the game. JJP did not want to chance a second flop in a month's time with the game about to release.

And, in my case, the Hobbit no show at Free Play sealed my decision to cancel my pre-order, even though I was quite sad to do so (and I gave both a lot of consideration before doing so and JJP every bit of time I thought reasonable before canceling).

#2980 5 years ago

Wanna see a seminar in which Jack AMD jp de win talk About the hobbit?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dpo-seminar-video-jjp-steve-dp-ts

#2981 5 years ago
Quoted from Santeh:

With respect, this would not be correct in my case. My work is very, very busy thus there was no way I could go to IAAPA, but with the weekend I could go one day to Free Play and I did. I have been in on the Hobbit for ~1.5 years and I was VERY disappointed to see that there was no Hobbit at Free Play. This would have been my only chance to play a $7500+ machine before taking possession. With all that I have seen, read about, and heard from those that have played the Hobbit the no show at Free Play ended my current involvement in the Hobbit as I have now cancelled my pre-order. I admit I am very sad to do this as I have been very excited for the pin, but after what I have watched (video), read, and heard from the Chicago Expo and now IAAPA/Free Play I am far too uncomfortable with the state of the pin to proceed.
I do wish JJP all the best and success in the future. I still hope to own a JJP one day.

I suspect you would have been cancelling your order either way....

For many pre-orderers, the "promise of the unknown" is probably a stronger pull than actually seeing the current state of Smaug. Hence, JJP had little to gain by more public showings and probably more to lose.

#2982 5 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

I suspect you would have been cancelling your order either way....
For many pre-orderers, the "promise of the unknown" is probably a stronger pull than actually seeing the current state of Smaug. Hence, JJP had little to gain by more public showings and probably more to lose.

I am sorry, but you are incorrect. I really wanted to both play the Hobbit this weekend and come away more comfortable with my order. Yet this naturally could not happen with the Hobbit being a no show at Free Play which sealed my decision to cancel. I simply cannot afford to risk this much money on a possibility, thus I can only go on what I can watch (video), read, and hear from those that have played the game. As I noted, I have been in on this for ~1.5 years and did not come to this decision lightly yet having watched closely the Hobbit's development I felt there was just too much making me uncomfortable with what the final product is going to be. I still wish JJP every bit of success with every machine, including the Hobbit, and I would like to own a JJP machine one day.

Just in case anyone is wondering, I have not placed an order for any other machine in lieu of the Hobbit. As such, my decision to cancel my Hobbit pre-order was done solely on the current merits/concerns I saw in the game itself.

#2983 5 years ago

Sorry to see you go Santech, but realize not everyone has the stomach for a prepaid game. That's right, this is not a mature pinball company that has been operating for decades, but rather one whose first game is primarily made, and whose working to finalize their second game (probably requiring three idle months at the factory). If you are not prepared for some pitfalls along the way, then don't prepay.

Best advice is always to wait until the game comes out and has complete software, THEN decide. It will cost more more but you will KNOW what you are getting. The rest of us that are along for the ride, eagerly watch its development loudly cheering the wins and critiquing the losses. Good luck with your future searches.

#2984 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Sorry to see you go Santech, but realize not everyone has the stomach for a prepaid game. That's right, this is not a mature pinball company that has been operating for decades, but rather one whose first game is primarily made, and whose working to finalize their second game (probably requiring three idle months at the factory). If you are not prepared for some pitfalls along the way, then don't prepay.
Best advice is always to wait until the game comes out and has complete software, THEN decide. It will cost more more but you will KNOW what you are getting. The rest of us that are along for the ride, eagerly watch its development and cheering the wins and loudly critiquing the losses. Good luck with your future searches.

I agree and with my current finances I feel that the Hobbit prepaid issue just will not work for me with this much potential risk in the title (I did acquire a STLE NIB when it was released and love it). However, for those that can comfortably afford the potential risk the Hobbit presents I have zero problem and hope it works out for all. After ~1.5 years in on the Hobbit I am still hoping that the game is great and, if it is, I would still consider getting a HUO down the road.

#2985 5 years ago

Jersey Jack is hunkered down getting the Hobbit done. Lots to do in the next month. Judging by the progress made last month, I wouldn't bother them.

#2986 5 years ago
Quoted from ozno:

Jersey Jack is hunkered down getting the Hobbit done. Lots to do in the next month. Judging by the progress made last month, I wouldn't bother them.

I really hope the game is a home run and not just for the pinball community but for JJP as well!

#2987 5 years ago
Quoted from Santeh:

I really hope the game is a home run and not just for the pinball community but for JJP as well!

I am hoping for a grand slam.

#2988 5 years ago

Cool video posted by Matt. Not much room under there.

#2989 5 years ago

Hate to see a few people drop out, but hopefully that moves me up the list to get mine sooner.

#2990 5 years ago

Jack and the JJP team obviously have taken the recent criticisms to heart and have achieved an amazing number of improvements in the last six weeks or so. While they admit to still having more changes to make, I feel very good about their desire and ability produce a winner. They have invested a lot of work and capital thus far (the license alone must have been expensive) and they are refining their vendor list and employee team as they get deeper into their second pin. It is no secret that a new company cannot afford to have their second product to hit the market be a dud. Jack will make sure The Hobbit is a winner.

#2991 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

I am hoping for a grand slam.

Ha! Okay a grand slam, triple double, and a natural hat trick all rolled into one!

#2992 5 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Oh man, working on that will be fun for those of us with big hands.

#2993 5 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

» YouTube video

And that's why there is less inserts on the playfield.

#2994 5 years ago

If they really listen to the community why not ask for ideas and suggestions for lay out, toys, shots, mechanics, ball interactions, etcetc, when you are working on the white wood?

Dp did it and we may never know if or which community ideas went in the game, but it can only be a positive to get free ideas from fans. And you involve your costumers more and that keeps them committed.

Would also prevent expo rage like we had last time.

#2995 5 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

If they really listen to the community why not ask for ideas and suggestions for lay out, toys, shots, mechanics, ball interactions, etcetc, when you are working on the white wood?
Dp did it and we may never know if or which community ideas went in the game, but it can only be a positive to get free ideas from fans. And you involve your costumers more and that keeps them committed.
Would also prevent expo rage like we had last time.

They did. On their forum early on, they asked, and there were 100's of ideas posted for the game, some of them quite good (or so I thought). A spreadsheet was even prepared. Some were obviously not close to tractable, but many, many good ideas were presented. A few made it into the game, and I think more were at least tried to some degree.

In the end, though they pretty much seemed to have followed their own vision centered on their new drop targets and trolls, along with a (speculated) plan for a more interactive dragon. The more interactive dragon plan seems to not have panned out fully (I still wonder as to whether they will add the wire ramp to the outlane that was long on the schematics).

As for the drop targets and trolls, we will see ultimately whether it was a good idea or not to base the game so fully around them once the rules are written. Pretty much the whole success of the game rides on this aspect of the game being a home run in the fun department.

#2996 5 years ago

I think this game is going to be truly unique. That means it'll ruffle a few feathers... And I'm perfectly okay with that.

This game is going to be a 21st century EM, and the pinball skills needed to perform on it will be different than the same-old-same-old. That's bound to upset a few traditionalists.

I'm eager to see what Keith can do with those cool popups and target banks coordinated with video screen, and needing to manage a lockdown bar diverter button. Sounds like fun to me.

Have we seen the magnets at work yet?

#2997 5 years ago

Why is anyone pre ordering a game they haven't played. Can we all agree not to do that?

#2998 5 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Why is anyone pre ordering a game they haven't played. Can we all agree not to do that?

Obviously not.

If we actually all agreed to that, nobody would ever buy a pin since we could never play it first.

#2999 5 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Why is anyone pre ordering a game they haven't played.

I agree in principle, but we also have to realize that JJP and most other start-ups would never have gotten off the ground without pre-ordering. I would like for them to outgrow the model, but we have to be grateful that it has made possible much more diversity in the contemporary pinball world.

#3000 5 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

I'm eager to see what Keith can do with those cool popups and target banks coordinated with video screen, and needing to manage a lockdown bar diverter button. Sounds like fun to me.
Have we seen the magnets at work yet?

I am interested as well. However, I would now like to see the final product and how the code matures first before I might buy.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 44.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Forever
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 60 of 201.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside