Topic Stats

• 10,044 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 714 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOB (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
No.gif
IMG_9476_(resized).JPG
47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 59 of 201.
#2901 5 years ago

I just paid $8,000 for a Disney cruise that will be over in a week.

#2902 5 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Thats a fair comparison, 10 years ago and half the cost

What?

#2903 5 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

That white orc looks awful haha. Rest of the pop ups look fine to me though. I can't wait to bash them.

What White Orc? I didn't get to sculpt the white orc.

#2904 5 years ago
Quoted from Noface:

That better come with daily Minnie massages, holy crappin expensive!

#2905 5 years ago
Quoted from Noface:

I just went on the Disney fantasy 5 weeks ago and stayed in side by side balcony cabins for 5 people and it only cost 4900. You need a new travel agent lol.

#2906 5 years ago

This is going to be one hell of a pin. Very excited!! Could be very flowy with two ramps and two VUKs plus the loop shot.

#2907 5 years ago

IMO... What ever JJP does with Smaug will be great, however, the modders will blow it away. Stay tuned!

#2908 5 years ago

I had a wonderful time visiting with Jack and his Family today at IAPPA...Through all the years I have known him, My respect has only grown...
This showed through in the hobbit. While there are some things that arent done and unfair to criticize,
I was thrilled with the Pop up Heads! With code coming..., this blew me away! Really fun!
2 thumbs up!

#2909 5 years ago

I think it wil be a fun pin. But smaug is a very big dissapointment. It does nothing but move with his mouth and turns a bit.

And when i ask myself, what is the most fun shot in this game. I cant find any. There is not one killer shot which is really satisfying.

Plus, left and right side have on about the same shots.

Like i said, a fun pin. But 8k euro.....

Meh...

#2910 5 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

And when i ask myself, what is the most fun shot in this game. I cant find any. There is not one killer shot which is really satisfying.
Plus, left and right side have on about the same shots.

Hit up down up down left right left right B A start

When you do, you're gonna see some serious sh*t.

#2911 5 years ago

Talking smaug is cool but with that beautiful lcd screen showing movie clips of smaug will it feel redundant? Not sure. Same witht the LCD book. Looking over LOTR pin and you have interactive toy, an amazing ring shot and that awesome shot up aragons sword. Just too early to tell if Hobbit will have shots that are this much fun. Exited to see the final version.

#2912 5 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Talking smaug is cool but with that beautiful lcd screen showing movie clips of smaug will it feel redundant? Not sure. Same witht the LCD book. Looking over LOTR pin and you have interactive toy, an amazing ring shot and that awesome shot up aragons sword. Just too early to tell if Hobbit will have shots that are this much fun. Exited to see the final version.

Ring was cool, but that sword ramp is one of the clunkiest ramps of all time. Looks cool, but it's a slopfest!

#2913 5 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Ring was cool, but that sword ramp is one of the clunkiest ramps of all time. Looks cool, but it's a slopfest!

Clunky how so? Like hard to hit?

#2914 5 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Clunky how so? Like hard to hit?

No, it doesn't go up and smoothly curve around to the sword. It hits a target and usually the bottom of the ring wraith before plonking into the sword. On mine and any I've played at least...

#2915 5 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

While there are some things that arent done and unfair to criticize,

How is it unfair to criticize a machine they are putting ON DISPLAY?!

Because its "not done"?

Well, shucks, then they should play it like Stern and show a finished product. However, I think anything they show is fair game for criticism.

And, frankly, the criticism has seemed to HELP them as it pertains to TH.... they responded to previous criticism with some improvements.... Win-Win.

#2916 5 years ago

What's this about Peter Jackson's approval? Did anyone at JJP mention his name or Wingnut Films when it comes the licensor problems? It's not a crazy idea seeing that I saw the Wingnut logo in JJP's videos.

#2917 5 years ago

Is it just me or do other people think that the reason why The Hobbit is looking better is because Pat Lawlor is having to clean up the design? I haven't read all the posts in the past few days, but after getting a good look at the playfield and seeing some video, The Hobbit is running kinda smooth. The left return wire ramp looks like there might be too much speed coming off it. Not too much of a big deal. Just wondering is Pat the one putting the finishing touches to clean up this pin or someone else? I know there has been a great deal of feedback from Pinside, but who is implementing it towards the actual game now that the original lead designer (Joe Balcer) is gone?

#2918 5 years ago
Quoted from HunchbackHodler:

What's this about Peter Jackson's approval? Did anyone at JJP mention his name or Wingnut Films when it comes the licensor problems? It's not a crazy idea seeing that I saw the Wingnut logo in JJP's videos.

Elements of the game made it all the way to Peter Jackson for approval. (Or denial as ideas the case)

#2919 5 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

No, it doesn't go up and smoothly curve around to the sword. It hits a target and usually the bottom of the ring wraith before plonking into the sword. On mine and any I've played at least...

It works much better than that on mine

#2920 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Elements of the game made it all the way to Peter Jackson for approval. (Or denial as ideas the case)

Couldn't anyone with Peter Jacksons ear let him know that Smaug was expected to interact with the ball or did that part even make it to him? I realize its already a done deal... oh well. I guess pinball is too much of a cottage industry for him to get very involved in.

#2921 5 years ago
Quoted from PaulCoff:

Is it just me or do other people think that the reason why The Hobbit is looking better is because Pat Lawlor is having to clean up the design?

I'd be curious as well about what Pat's involvement in Hobbit is. What was telling was at expo Pat was there and Joe wasn't. Pat was on the panel and also in the group photo.

This is not a negative, the machine needed refinement, and if they were both working there Pat would likely still be offering his input. It's just Joe's exit that was odd.

#2922 5 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

Couldn't anyone with Peter Jacksons ear let him know that Smaug was expected to interact with the ball or did that part even make it to him? I realize its already a done deal... oh well. I guess pinball is too much of a cottage industry for him to get very involved in.

Agreed. I haven't seen Jurassic Park in a few years, but I'm pretty sure the T-REX didn't eat a pinball.

Seems like Spielberg is a lot more lenient....or at least imaginative.

#2923 5 years ago

T-Rex DID eat the pinball and he bleched sometimes after! I have the game... unless you were being sarcastic...were you being sarcastic? Or did you really think T-Rex didn't eat the ball...?

#2924 5 years ago
Quoted from homebrood:

T-Rex DID eat the pinball and he bleched sometimes after! I have the game... unless you were being sarcastic...were you being sarcastic? Or did you really think T-Rex didn't eat the ball...?

He's talking about the movie

#2925 5 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Agreed. I haven't seen Jurassic Park in a few years, but I'm pretty sure the T-REX didn't eat a pinball.

Seems like Spielberg is a lot more lenient....or at least imaginative.

Quoted from homebrood:

confused.gif

#2926 5 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

You must not have seen the Director's Cut.

#2927 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Yeah, Jackson was a little bitch, sorry to say. Too protective of his precious to let some dirty pinball people have a little fun. That concept video of the pinball bowling down the goblins was hilarious.

#2928 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Yeah, Jackson was a little bitch, sorry to say. Too protective of his precious to let some dirty pinball people have a little fun. That concept video of the pinball bowling down the goblins was hilarious.

He completely ruined Hobbit/LOTR for me. I read the books so many times as a kid, I had my own visions of what it looked like, and it didn't mesh well with his vision.

#2929 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It's actually better as a pinball clip than the scene in the movie.

#2930 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

He completely ruined Hobbit/LOTR for me. I read the books so many times as a kid, I had my own visions of what it looked like, and it didn't mesh well with his vision.

I disagree on LoTR and I agree on TH. They are like opposites to me.

LoTR: Overall fantastic with a handful of moments I didn't like.
TH: Overall I don't like it, with a handful of moments that are fantastic.

#2931 5 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

I disagree on LoTR and I agree on TH. They are like opposites to me.

This.

To me, his film interpretation of LOTR was better than I expected.
I would rank it with Harry Potter and Game of Thrones and some of the best big screen adaptations of epic literature....

The Hobbit?
Sigh, It would probably be better if I had NOT read the book (10 times). It just feels like a cash grab to me.... take a beloved story, hack the plot to death, stretch it into 3 films and cha-ching.

#2932 5 years ago

The original Hobbit animated film is still the canonical version for me. My kids still listen to the vinyl (ripped to MP3) version of it, the story and music are great.

#2933 5 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

This.
To me, his film interpretation of LOTR was better than I expected.
I would rank it with Harry Potter and Game of Thrones and some of the best big screen adaptations of epic literature....
The Hobbit?
Sigh, It would probably be better if I had NOT read the book (10 times). It just feels like a cash grab to me.... take a beloved story, hack the plot to death, stretch it into 3 films and cha-ching.

Yeah, I remember originally hearing about the Hobbit getting made and fully expected it to be just one film. Anyway, back to bashing the Smaug toy.... (or not as it were... )

#2934 5 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

You must not have seen the Director's Cut.

You're thinking of The Lost World!

Edit: Doesn't seem to start at 1 minute 35 seconds like it's supposed to.

#2935 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The original Hobbit animated film is still the canonical version for me. My kids still listen to the vinyl (ripped to MP3) version of it, the story and music are great.

Have to disagree with you on this one. I remember being so excited to watch the movie at school on a rainy day in second grade, and my great disappointment with the animation style and voices compared to Tolkien's illustrations and what I'd imagined hearing my dad read the book aloud to me and my brother. And I wasn't a huge fan of the music either (I know there's plenty in the books, but that "Greatest Adventure" song still grates on me ...)

Having said that, if I watched it again now it would might well compare favorably to Peter Jackson's version. I'll be waiting for someone to release a good fan edit of the films online (like the Matrix DeZionized), trimming the whole thing down to the 2-3 hours it should have been in the first place.

#2936 5 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

I haven't even watched the Hobbit because I was so disappointed with the LoTR trilogy.

#2937 5 years ago

LOTR: Timeless Classic, one of the best ever trilogies.
TH: One Movie - Timeless Classic, Two Movies - A stretch but solid entry, Three Movies - Watered Down and just not as entertaining as it could have been.

Big fan of all movies but TH could have been so much more is there was less, if you get what I mean.

#2938 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I'd be curious as well about what Pat's involvement in Hobbit is. What was telling was at expo Pat was there and Joe wasn't. Pat was on the panel and also in the group photo.
This is not a negative, the machine needed refinement, and if they were both working there Pat would likely still be offering his input. It's just Joe's exit that was odd.

They can fund one designer and Joe was long gone before EXPO so it's not that much of a surprise

#2939 5 years ago
Quoted from SquidVicious:

They can fund one designer and Joe was long gone before EXPO so it's not that much of a surprise

Does anyone know why he left and if it had anything to do with the direction the game was getting forced into due to licensing?

#2940 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

So why did LOTR's production go so smoothly? There was never a ball going thru a ring or hitting the Balrog, yet, they're in the game. The DMD shows a ball going into the tower when you get the Tower Skill Shot. They were also given access to all 3 movies before they were released, and got Frodo and Gimli for custom voices.

#2941 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

So why did LOTR's production go so smoothly? There was never a ball going thru a ring or hitting the Balrog, yet, they're in the game. The DMD shows a ball going into the tower when you get the Tower Skill Shot. They were also given access to all 3 movies before they were released, and got Frodo and Gimli for custom voices.

Yeah, good question. Maybe no one asked Jackson last time. Or maybe he's got grumpier in his old age. Definitely funny that Balrog was allowed to be bashable but You Must Not Touch The Dragon™.

#2942 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Yeah, good question. Maybe no one asked Jackson last time. Or maybe he's got grumpier in his old age. Definitely funny that Balrog was allowed to be bashable but You Must Not Touch The Dragon™.

Or maybe he doesn't care about dots!

#2943 5 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Naturally, it must slow the ball down for the ball lock mechanism. Makes sense to me. The flow ramp is the Legolas ramp.

LOTR is my favorite game. Easily on par with MM.

#2944 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You Must Not Touch The Dragon™.

Best advice ... always avoid the dragon.

#2945 5 years ago
Quoted from SquidVicious:

Well, apparently Joe was AT Expo... walking around, just not invited to sit in with the team talking about his game? That's all. I get that he's not currently working for jjp on a new game. That part makes sense, they have to switch things up.

#2946 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

So why did LOTR's production go so smoothly?

Hard to say. Different companies, different people, different times, and probably a different contract with Wingnut.

David Imhoff was absolutely great at helping us on LOTR. WB hasn't been bad, it's really Wingnut that's been the biggest problem, sadly. My general impression is they are WAY more calling the shots now than the studio.

#2947 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Display-wise I'm guessing because Hobbit is using ACTUAL modified movie clips instead of dots that are custom. Would be a ton of work to make that scene from scratch as custom and still look as good as movie clips. JRD is the best pinball voice artist out there...love his work. Glad he is in LOTR. Not sure what we'll get for Hobbit for voice work.

#2948 5 years ago
Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

Naturally, it must slow the ball down for the ball lock mechanism. Makes sense to me. The flow ramp is the Legolas ramp.
LOTR is my favorite game. Easily on par with MM.

True, but it's just not graceful like say the Spider-Man ramp to venom.

#2949 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I find it crazy that WB didn't want Smaug to be hit considering that in the second film alone (spoiler) he gets hit by these explosive pots that the dwarves throw at him and is then covered in liquid gold. I rather get hit by a pinball then either of those two options, lol.

#2950 5 years ago

Is there anyone from JJP that can answer a question on whether we will be able to buy an extra red smaug if we go with the gold version? I would want both as an option at home.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Forever
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 59 of 201.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside