Topic Stats

• 10,044 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 714 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOB (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
No.gif
IMG_9476_(resized).JPG
47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 58 of 201.
#2851 5 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

I appreciate all the comments about Drop Targets. I agree for the most part. The physicality of them certainly makes the shot more satisfying. I FAR prefer when dropping a target opens another possibility though. I'm a big fan of the mech, I love their implementation in my machines, MET's Inline Drops, STLE's Vengeance Drop, WOZ's Winky Target, TSPP's Itchy and Scratchy Hole (Yes, I meant to say that!) and TWDs Woodbury Drop.
How nice to see thoughtful responses to my post, instead of "You're a frakking TOOL. You must not know ANYTHING about REAL Pinball! What sort of moronic idiot faced jackhammer doesn't like Drop Targets??!! Go Whine to Gary Stern you Frakking Crybaby!!!"

You're in luck, then! ALL of the Hobbit drops open up another shot...either the shot into the Smaug upkicker or a dwarf standup.

--Luke

#2852 5 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

I really love my WOZ... But I have to disagree with this statement. The mini playfield hides balls coming to the 3rd flipper (I'm assuming that's the one you're talking about??!), making it very tough to time. Nearly impossible actually, especially in multiball.
I can sometimes get a good Witch bash from it, and on RARE occasions I get a flukey crystal ball shot, but more often than not it feels like a flail shot.

I can make the witch skill shot from the plunge about 90% of the time which includes a nice skill shot bonus that increases the more times you do it. I don't even bother trying for the much riskier crystal ball or monkey skill shots that don't pay off well enough to match the risk. You do a short plunge and then can see the ball through the opening in the munchkin playfield and then strike the ball into the witch. Similarly, I use the upper flipper to get witch hurry up shots when the ball is coming out of the pops which is easy since the ball is slowed coming out of the pop bumpers. Additionally, the upper flipper can often be used to direct the ball to the left flipper in a controlled manner by holding it up. These are all skills that take a little practice but can be mastered by decent players.
The Witch hurry-ups are one of the most important parts of the ruleset so I bash the crap out of her while also trying to keep the risk of draining down.

#2853 5 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

I appreciate all the comments about Drop Targets. I agree for the most part. The physicality of them certainly makes the shot more satisfying. I FAR prefer when dropping a target opens another possibility though. I'm a big fan of the mech, I love their implementation in my machines, MET's Inline Drops, STLE's Vengeance Drop, WOZ's Winky Target, TSPP's Itchy and Scratchy Hole (Yes, I meant to say that!) and TWDs Woodbury Drop.
How nice to see thoughtful responses to my post, instead of "You're a frakking TOOL. You must not know ANYTHING about REAL Pinball! What sort of moronic idiot faced jackhammer doesn't like Drop Targets??!! Go Whine to Gary Stern you Frakking Crybaby!!!"

I agree about preferring drops that reveal more behind them. Imagine if all 3 drop target banks in TH had a motorized drop target bank behind it with an AFM style shot behind that. That sounds doable with the wide body format and would open up a lot of gameplay possibilities. I don't recall a game that has used more then 1 motorized target bank.

#2854 5 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

I agree with both of these points.
The broken concept of Smaug is the main reason I cancelled my order. It's a poor sculpt and even worse mechanics. A rotating Smaug marionette doll head is just lame in every way. I agree that something more dragon-like should've been attempted (dragon's don't spin their heads around like Howdy Doody; they twist their necks more like snakes, so just leave off the motion if you can't do it right, I say). But it is what it is at this point, and they are trying to dress it up as best they can with gold paint and what-not. As bad as the Expo Rock-head Smaug was, I actually think I prefer it to this painted gold Smaug.
For WOZ, the crystal ball is an exceeding cool design. Not only do you have an extra tiny display, which is not in any way distracting, it's in the flipper view, so you don't have to look up. It's also like a personal player monitor, because it's difficult for anyone but the player to see with the small viewing angle. For Hobbit, the "book" is just a smaller monitor directly under a bigger monitor, sort of looks added on and distracting. I guess it depends how it's used in gameplay, but that's my first reaction to it.
The Smaug toy fail was the deal-breaker for me, but if everything else is done superbly and gameplay draws me in then I certainly won't rule out a Hobbit eventually. And I honestly still can't wait to play it this weekend. I initially ordered it because of my love for the book as a kid, not to mention the awesome 80's cartoon. It's a theme I love, and maybe that's why I'm slightly overly critical of it (full disclosure).
Beyond all of that is my biggest fear: the kinetics of the game. No shots really look all that appealing, other than shooting the moving drop targets. The center ramps are just awful kinetically. When I watch gameplay video and see the U-turns constantly rattling back down, and center shot after center shot... Just doesn't look fun, I'm sorry. I feel Hobbit may suffer from lack of a Sweet Shot. Why is Balcer so opposed to placing in the sweet shot of a ramp? Especially a well-placed and paced left ramp shot, for right-handed players to get that release of a full power ramp shot right in the wheelhouse. The center ramps, perfectly symmetrical, look like something which was drawn in and looked cool in CAD but which unfortunately don't translate to great gameplay.
A nameless friend of mine text me a short, disappointing text from IAAPA yesterday:
"Played Hobbit
Horrible"
That's what I'm worried about more than the toys gone wrong. The software will be superb. Artwork looks 1000x better now. Toys are toys, and they'll grow on you, or you can ignore them. But the kinetics of great pinball gameplay can't be painted back in or added on or updated. And that's the main thing I'm worried about. The layout just doesn't look fun to me. I hope I'm wrong, though.

I don't see how anyone could summarize the current Hobbit situation better than you did here.

I do give a ton of credit to JJP for being able/willing to make as many changes as they have at this late date based on the feedback received at/since Expo.

Still...Smaug is still pretty much what it was (a disappointment), and the changes have done little to improve that (Gold Smaug might be worse?).

#2855 5 years ago

As there is no way to say something at this point about the fun factor of this game as no real rule set is implemented we all tend to judge it by looking at the layout.

As it is very difficult to imagine how things will become, most of the time you make a comparison with stuff you already know or have seen. With that being said, a lot of people say TH has a fan layout with long shots and it is not fast but also not slow. Taking those points into consideration one pin comes to mind and I find it a very fun one, STTNG.

#2856 5 years ago

Light Bulb moment! How about changing the back of Smaug from the mountainside which is now gone, to a pile of gold and treasure? That way we can keep the 180 degree turn and he can "reveal" himself from the gold pile?

I realize its a kluge, but it might work. You could even have the rest of a Smaug body/neck going to a turning head in a pile of gold and have it still kind of work/make sense?

#2857 5 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

Light Bulb moment! How about changing the back of Smaug from the mountainside which is now gone, to a pile of gold and treasure? That way we can keep the 180 degree turn and he can "reveal" himself from the gold pile?

This is what I thought they were going to when they changed it from the mountain to the treasure room.

#2858 5 years ago

Here is another video from a different thread:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/NBhYEBH6VVY?autoplay=1&rel=0

Though short, gameplay seems pretty decent. I don't think it looked slow at all. Smaug seems to growl a lot and I did not hear any talking all of which, of course, is totally dependent on code.

I'm in for the SE so I do have skin in the game, so I'm probably biased and have some hopeful thinking. I had a WOZLE but traded it before I think the code got very far along. Overall I think I miss it and perhaps will get another down the road sometime. I don't want to give up on this game for whatever reason and perhaps my feeling of a little regret concerning the WOZ plays into this some.

As far as the Hobbit goes, I think I'll probably go with the red Smaug toy if nothing else changes. It is unfortunate that Smaug isn't more interactive physically. Hopefully there will be a significant amount of bantering coming from him which would be fun and 'interactive' verbally at least.

#2859 5 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

I realize its a kluge, but it might work. You could even have the rest of a Smaug body/neck going to a turning head in a pile of gold and have it still kind of work/make sense?

We already discussed that after Expo:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-improve-the-final-version-of-the-hobbit?tu=dcfan

#2861 5 years ago

So far my feelings are the artwork looks more colorful, im not a fan of the placement of the lcd. Im bummed that smaug is now having more interaction taken from him(no tail diverter, only turns halfway now and no sign of the rest of his body). Everything is starting to look like an afterthought ergo, the book lcd, the pop bumper toppers, the full smaug, the apron rumored to be interactive. Im afraid having the designer leave has really hurt this game. I'm not knocking JJP since you can't please everyone it's just I'd be lying if said I wasn't disappointed in what has been shown.

#2862 5 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

That white orc looks awful haha.

It's Sloth from The Goonies! Ya know, just something fun for everyone who wants a Goonies pin

#2863 5 years ago

Not the best angle to see, but what are you aiming for with the upper flipper?

I don't see a shot there.

#2864 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Not the best angle to see, but what are you aiming for with the upper flipper?
I don't see a shot there.

He did make the ramp once from that flipper during the video.

#2865 5 years ago

The way I see this game is that you are in a battle. That's why all the drop targets and pop-ups - you are trying to strike things as though you're in combat. The pinball is your sling, and you are trying to slay goliath (Smaug). Smash smash! Also, keeping in mind the pin is going to incorporate all three movies. So logically, first you might have to gather the dwarves, get to the mountain and wake Smaug. The eye in the treasure pile might be the end of that quest line. Then you will have to get the arkenstone, soak smaug in molten gold and flee the mountain. Third movie is a war and you have to battle Smaug to the death. There will probably be a wizard mode involved in at least one of these. I would also not be surprised if there was both a gold and a red smaug involved.

So you can imagine the complexity that will have to be involved in this machine. Peter Jackson is a man with an epic vision. So is Jersey Jack. I think we all need to assume there is more than meets the eye here.

This is just a guess and maybe over-thinking the pin. But if your opinion is that the final product is going to be slapped together and a poor quality finished product, you should consider that you are probably missing something.

#2866 5 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

This is just a guess and maybe over-thinking the pin. But if your opinion is that the final product is going to be slapped together and a poor quality finished product, you should consider that you are probably missing something.

I don't think this, I do however think there was an original design and once it was shown and was blasted by the masses things started getting scrapped and jjp was trying to please everyone so the product we have now seems to have no cohesive direction. The game does not seem to be telling the story of the Hobbit but more a mishmash of too many cooks in the kitchen.

#2867 5 years ago

I wonder if they thought about using Smaugs arms to control the diverters (both in the center and on the other side). The size of the head looks about the correct proportion. The hands would be attached and would lift or move to deflect the balls and they could be used to animate Smaug (like him getting upset and pounding his fists). They could set it up so that it looks like Smaug is coming at you crawling over a pile of treasure head first....the rest of the body is conveniently hidden... all the mechanics are there you and would just need to model the arms/wings and add a bit of neck (and not turn the head so much)...

...just throwing stuff out there for fun...

#2868 5 years ago

My overall impressions of the videos for myself is the game seems fast enough, there seems to be some good satisfying shots to shoot for, the artwork, play-field, lighting, LCD effects are great. Smaug, third flipper integration, and overall flow/fun factor of the machine concerns me a little. Keith is right you don't need killer flow to make a fun game, but there have to be attributes that draw you into the game to make a game fun overall. I have faith Keith will make an outstanding rules package and hopeful that there is code or something that will make the third flipper useful. Again it looks like you can hit drops and go for the difficult ramp shot from it but overall all it looks like an afterthought right now instead of an interactive and important shot in the game. For Smaug, I am not going to beat a dead horse here it is disappointing but hopefully with the rest of the art design around him will make it more visually appealing since really it does not look like there will be much interaction with game play with him. If they can continue to make the strides they did from Chicago Expo to now, this title should be in great shape when production hits. I have no stake in the game as I have not ordered but believe we need to all have patience as JJP has demonstrated they are listening and have made huge strides to improving this game.

#2869 5 years ago

Not to beat a dead horse but smaug mech is done its not changing...the game needs to ship soon. It's a done deal moving on!

#2870 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I can make the witch skill shot from the plunge about 90% of the time which includes a nice skill shot bonus that increases the more times you do it. I don't even bother trying for the much riskier crystal ball or monkey skill shots that don't pay off well enough to match the risk. You do a short plunge and then can see the ball through the opening in the munchkin playfield and then strike the ball into the witch. Similarly, I use the upper flipper to get witch hurry up shots when the ball is coming out of the pops which is easy since the ball is slowed coming out of the pop bumpers. Additionally, the upper flipper can often be used to direct the ball to the left flipper in a controlled manner by holding it up. These are all skills that take a little practice but can be mastered by decent players.
The Witch hurry-ups are one of the most important parts of the ruleset so I bash the crap out of her while also trying to keep the risk of draining down.

Good points for sure. I never go for that skill shot, as I think the better plan is a full plunge hoping to light the Winged Monkey targets.

What's that skill shot worth anyway? 17 points??!! Haha.

#2871 5 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

Good points for sure. I never go for that skill shot, as I think the better plan is a full plunge hoping to light the Winged Monkey targets.
What's that skill shot worth anyway? 17 points??!! Haha.

Witch skill shot is 5000 and increases each time you do it.

I also forgot to mention that the player must use the upper right flipper for the last shot in the melt the witch battle.

#2872 5 years ago
Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

Im bummed that smaug is now having more interaction taken from him(no tail diverter, only turns halfway now and no sign of the rest of his body).

Didn't everyone learn from Expo, that what we're seeing is not final? What makes you think that Smaug will only turn halfway now, just because that's how they programmed him for IAPPA? The likely explanation is that they haven't decided, or haven't completed, what the final design of the back of Smaug's head will be. So instead of doing a full 180 turn at IAPPA, they just turned him halfway.

I think the new sculpt of the skull looks much improved. The space between his horns has been cut out & contoured. They've dropped the rock texture completely. When looking at him in profile, it almost looks like he has a massive thick neck. They should just go with a scaled look for the back of his head & made the whole rotating part his head & neck, giving him more mass & presence, and remove the "floating head" appearance. There are plenty of gold pile moldings elsewhere. Just my 2 cents.

smaug1.jpg

smaug2.jpg

#2873 5 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Not to beat a dead horse but smaug mech is done its not changing...the game needs to ship soon. It's a done deal moving on!

I am ok with this. But it's time to know what is a done deal and what is still object of discussion.
I bugged my distributor in emails to change from LE to SE. Now with Smaug so prominent on the new playfield and the disapointing golden smaug. I like the look of the LE better.
If I now start to bug my distributor again to change back to LE he will think that I am crazy.
I am sure this game will be great. I like what I see. But if I will get the version of this game that I really want is still some kind of gambling.

#2874 5 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Didn't everyone learn from Expo, that what we're seeing is not final? What makes you think...

The game supposedly starting production in the next 30-45 days makes me (and the rest of us?) think these things. I'm unaware of an official delay and unless one is announced, we have got to be looking at a near-final machine here... no?

If a 3-6 month delay is announced, I'm right on board with your line of thought, but time is running low on the current schedule that I am aware of.

#2875 5 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

I am ok with this. But it's time to know what is a done deal and what is still object of discussion.
I bugged my distributor in emails to change from LE to SE. Now with Smaug so prominent on the new playfield and the disapointing golden smaug. I like the look of the LE better.
If I now start to bug my distributor again to change back to LE he will think that I am crazy.
I am sure this game will be great. I like what I see. But if I will get the version of this game that I really want is still some kind of gambling.

U can bug him all u want, he's there to take ur money... If he doesn't like u going back n forth there's other distrib that will

#2876 5 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

If a 3-6 month delay is announced,

Oh please no!

#2877 5 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

Oh please no!

If they can get Smaug closer to the hype, please yes take a freakin nother year. Someone just needs to school Peter Jackson on what makes pinball cool and I am sure he would be on board for a more epic Smaug toy.

I mean does he realize he is de-epicing this machine by not letting Smaug interact with the ball?

#2878 5 years ago

Dupe... woops got excited I guess

#2879 5 years ago

They should just get the machine out and sell replacement Smaugs and pop-ups as mods some time in the future.

#2880 5 years ago

The visuals so far just don't do anything for me. I don't like the pop ups, the spider is the only one I think looks good. The white one reminds me of a garbage pail kid.

I still look forward to playing it. It won't matter to me what it looks like if it plays awesome.

kieselstein_cord_18kt__gold_alligator_brooch_1358373374.jpg
#2881 5 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

full 180 turn at IAPPA, they just turned him halfway

hoping this thing turns around 180 looks stupid turned 1/2 way, but I am sure its just a code thing in the works.

#2882 5 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

we have got to be looking at a near-final machine here... no?

Overall playfield design? You bet. Done deal. The action & mechanics of Smaug, and the rest of the whole playfield are set. But I cannot see how anyone can honestly say that Smaug is a "fail" without seeing the final look & how the toy is integrated into the code & gameplay (talking to the player, rotating, waking up, fire breathing effects in a dark room, god knows what other cool ideas Keith has planned for him, etc). It may not be what you expected, but at least reserve judgment until the game is finished.

I was referring to the little stuff, like color of the pillars, molding around the book LCD, the exact final look of Smaug's head, adding his teeth & tongue, the stickers on the sides of the ramp, etc. Cosmetic changes. I have no doubt it's all going to come together over the next few weeks & be ready to go into production by end of December. Just look how much they accomplished (and were probably working on already) since Expo.

#2883 5 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Didn't everyone learn from Expo, that what we're seeing is not final? What makes you think that Smaug will only turn halfway now, just because that's how they programmed him for IAPPA? The likely explanation is that they haven't decided, or haven't completed, the final design of the back of Smaug's head will be. So instead of doing a full 180 turn at IAPPA, they just turned him halfway.
I think the new sculpt of the skull looks much improved. The space between his horns has been cut out & contoured. They've dropped the rock texture completely. When looking at him in profile, it almost looks like he has a massive thick neck. They should just go with a scaled look for the back of his head & made the whole rotating part his head & neck, giving him more mass & presence, and remove the "floating head" appearance. There are plenty of gold pile moldings elsewhere. Just my 2 cents.

smaug1.jpg 24 KB

smaug2.jpg 62 KB

Ok so we are just supposed to assume that there is gonna be a different hobbit pin at every show? You know what stops rumors and guessing? Showing a finished machine or tell the buyers exactly what the game is gonna be and quit leaving it up to speculation. I don't like guessing with $7500. That's just me though. Also if the head suddenly goes back to turning 180 degrees my disappointment is more than likely not gonna change.

The smaug head comparison looks the same. The red smaug head was a blurry pic so you can't see the same detail as in the gold.

#2884 5 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Here is another video from a different thread:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/NBhYEBH6VVY?autoplay=1&rel=0
Though short, gameplay seems pretty decent. I don't think it looked slow at all.

What does AC/DC look like... Lightning

#2885 5 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

B9 said:
Can you make the left ramp shot with the upper right flipper ?

As it stands now, any shots with the upper right flipper to that ramp aren't going to be smooth (the angles don't seem correct) and that ramp side wall is going to take a pounding... Haven't yet seen anyone do it in the videos...

Someone did it about 18 seconds into this video

#2886 5 years ago

That pin looks amazing, not getting the negativity at all, especially considering the percentage of us who have actually played it. I'm really looking forward to this.

#2887 5 years ago

Ok so we are just supposed to assume that there is gonna be a different hobbit pin at every show? You know what stops rumors and guessing? Showing a finished machine or tell the buyers exactly what the game is gonna be and quit leaving it up to speculation. I don't like guessing with $7500. That's just me though. Also if the head suddenly goes back to turning 180 degrees my disappointment is more than likely not gonna change.
The smaug head comparison looks the same. The red smaug head was a blurry pic so you can't see the same detail as in the gold.

Well you are definitely entitled to your opinions. And since you're a Judge Dredd fan like me, you obviously have excellent tastes I just look at what it is.....not what it could have been. And so far I really like what I see.

#2888 5 years ago

There's nothing that requires a person to pre-order. I think some (maybe most) people are better off waiting until a product is finished. It saves a lot of needless hand wringing over what the game may or may not be.

The only things you get with a pre-order is an initial discount, a locked in price and maybe the game a little sooner.

History has shown that it's not too difficult to get a game from an early adopter or a distributor (who ordered on day one) much quicker than if you had waited for your pre-ordered machine to be built.

So, that really only leaves cost as an incentive to pre-order.

Edit: Cost is my reason for pre-ordering. And, if it turns out I don't think the finished game is to my liking, JJP will give me a refund - as long as they stay in business (a risk I'm willing to take). I enjoy being along for the ride and watching the game as it develops.

#2889 5 years ago
Quoted from B9:

» YouTube video

Quoted from DarkWizard:

He did make the ramp once from that flipper during the video.

Then why is the ball returned through the left loop??

#2890 5 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

Jersey Jack Pinball
Updated Hobbit Playfield Artwork!

Updates Revealed at IAAPA:

In games at the show
+ Book LCD
+ Replaced VUK exit chutes with wireforms
+ Bumper enter/exit through Bag End (removed "Switch Mode" targets)
+ Laser etched Ramp lettering / RGB LEDs underneath
+ Smaug™ sculpt redesign
+ Gold pile in front of Smaug™
+ Columns, gold pile & lighting in upper left
+ Flasher lighting/domes (3 on left side, 3 on right side, 1 gold pile, 1 pop bumper)
+ New art on playfield plastics
+ Action button and RGB LED
+ New decals - arch, shooter, drops, ramps, spinners
+ 2 RGB LED Smaug™ lighting
+ Redesigned bumper barrels to accommodate book LCD
+ New backglass art
+ New drop target colors
- Closed entrance to shooter lane from outlane

Yet to come for production:

+ New playfield art
+ Bumper 10pt switch between top and right (through-the-bumper shot)
+ Beast GI lighting
+ Smaug™ eyes lighting (single color)
+ Laser-cut ramp gate with added GI lighting
+ Smaller axes on slings

#2891 5 years ago

"Of course some things are always Subject To Change"

#2892 5 years ago
Quoted from B9:

Quoted from seeker939:

Then why is the ball returned through the left loop??

I can't figure out what happened to the ball. It hit the ramp entrance and rattled around at light speed. Next thing you know it's coming down from the left orbit. No clue how it ended up there.

#2893 5 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Overall playfield design? You bet. Done deal. The action & mechanics of Smaug, and the rest of the whole playfield are set. But I cannot see how anyone can honestly say that Smaug is a "fail" without seeing the final look & how the toy is integrated into the code & gameplay (talking to the player, rotating, waking up, fire breathing effects in a dark room, god knows what other cool ideas Keith has planned for him, etc). It may not be what you expected, but at least reserve judgment until the game is finished.

I think we've all seen enough of Smaug to get a feel for what it's implementation is. Maybe the mold isn't final, maybe the code will add more speech to it, but it's not too hard of a stretch to think that we're all capable of imagining the possibilities of the toy at this point. IMO that toy is 100% final in terms of implementation potential - it's going to light up, talk, and spin, and now have glowing eyes (which I don't recall from the movie but whatever). I'm capable of picturing that in my minds eye and we don't all need to wait until you think the machine is "final" to do so. For the record I think the toy is/will be good, not great.

I was referring to the little stuff, like color of the pillars, molding around the book LCD, the exact final look of Smaug's head, adding his teeth & tongue, the stickers on the sides of the ramp, etc. Cosmetic changes. I have no doubt it's all going to come together over the next few weeks & be ready to go into production by end of December. Just look how much they accomplished (and were probably working on already) since Expo.

Every change to those "little things" goes though licensor approvals (or that's the impression I get from all the 'licensor said so' defenses). Those approvals don't happen daily, or even weekly I would bet, so again, with 30-45 days (~30 Warner Bros working days, ignoring XMas) until production I still don't see why the assumption that we are near final is wrong. If they are building machines next month, I bet there is time for maybe one more revision and approval to all those details, which means this machine is damn near final (unless there's a delay)

#2894 5 years ago
Quoted from B9:

» YouTube video

Good eye!

... But did you see that ball smash off both walls (of that left ramp) and then rebound into the wrong loop?

OUCH! Watch out for metal fatigue in that area...

#2895 5 years ago

I'm pre-ordered and I'm not worried. I believe the finished product will be visually stunning and a fun pin to play. As far as Smaug, if it talks and spins, that's good enough for me. I do think he is missing the chin bone and sharper features. Adding those would help overcome any lack of ball spitting IMO.

images.jpg untitled.png
#2896 5 years ago
Quoted from B9:

» YouTube video

Thats Jesse from Pincades.

#2897 5 years ago

I'm really liking the additional changes. Can't wait for the final roll out production.
At least Smaug isn't going to be just a showpiece, as Homer's head is in TSPP.

#2898 5 years ago

Haven't had a talking toy for a while in pinball so regardless of Smaug's appearance still very cool.

#2899 5 years ago
Quoted from BestShot31:

I'm really liking the additional changes. Can't wait for the final roll out production.
At least Smaug isn't going to be just a showpiece, as Homer's head is in TSPP.

Thats a fair comparison, 10 years ago and half the cost

#2900 5 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Thats a fair comparison, 10 years ago and half the cost

Everything 10 years ago was half the cost so it is a valid comparison. Simpsons PP made today would be an "LE" and cost 8k.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 88.00
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 58 of 201.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside