Topic Stats

• 10,044 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 714 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOB (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
No.gif
IMG_9476_(resized).JPG
47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 55 of 201.
#2701 5 years ago

Can you make the left ramp shot with the upper right flipper ?

#2702 5 years ago

Are we getting videos today?

#2703 5 years ago

The artwork is a 1000 times better than before. The led is great but the rim around the led is too thick. The dragons head looks to be just floating there. Fix those two things and the machine is very solid.

#2704 5 years ago
Quoted from B9:

Can you make the left ramp shot with the upper right flipper ?

As it stands now, any shots with the upper right flipper to that ramp aren't going to be smooth (the angles don't seem correct) and that ramp side wall is going to take a pounding... Haven't yet seen anyone do it in the videos...

Unless I missed the post, nobody has yet discussed the return rail on the left side of the playfield (it leads to the left outlane/kicker)....looks like the mechanism that is supposed to place the ball on that rail is still missing...any ideas as to what is will be? I'm not sure if this was even mentioned on that list of "updates yet to come"...

#2705 5 years ago

Anyone know what this is that I circled in red and what it will do?

320236-i.jpg
#2706 5 years ago
Quoted from jazc4:

I believe it's a ball save. Additionally, does anyone have an idea of what the button on the lockdown bar activates or what the area on the top of the backbox is (between the speakers)? Intriguing.

#2707 5 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

Unless I missed the post, nobody has yet discussed the return rail on the left side of the playfield (it leads to the left outlane/kicker)....looks like the mechanism that is supposed to place the ball on that rail is still missing...any ideas as to what is will be? I'm not sure if this was even mentioned on that list of "updates yet to come"...

I have been wondering this myself, then thinking I must have missed something as it is never brought up.

Clarification would be much appreciated if Alex or Keith or anyone else from JJP would like to comment, even if it is a "something exciting is still coming" comment.

#2708 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNavidad:

I believe it's a ball save. Additionally, does anyone have an idea of what the button on the lockdown bar activates or what the area on the top of the backbox is (between the speakers)? Intriguing.

Better get off Pinside and break that catfight up in the other room!

#2709 5 years ago

Casual pinball enthusiast? Is that an oxymoron...or are you simply a moron? Perhaps a flat out, stone cold dope.

Always taking the high ground.

You are one classy dude.

#2710 5 years ago

Here it is... Jersey Jack has posted a video of the Hobbit game play at IAAPA on their Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/JerseyJackPinball .

It was noted that the software version is 0.13P . The game play on this widebody does not look slow to me and seems fun, yet I am an unabashed fan of drop targets!

As a small side, I do agree with others who hope for another barrel on the third bumper...

#2711 5 years ago
Quoted from heckheck:

The reasoning I got straight from Jack was different, it's not principally risk reward, but rather the novice player. "We tried the “action” buttons and nobody used them - or knew what they were."

Nothing you've said/quoted invalidates what I've said. Yes, it is primarily because casuals won't notice/use it (which is the VERY FIRST THING I SAID about it), but let's call the risk/reward thing a strong happy side benefit.

Quoted from heckheck:

I say let them learn by having controls in parallel. I trust pinball players to improve, I've seen many do it in a single game.

Part of making a game and running a business is to spend money in such a way that makes sense for the broadest appeal. Sorry, but extra side flipper buttons are a waste of money for a huge number of people that are going to put their hands on the game.

I haven't noticed you protesting this issue on Stern games, but I could've missed it. You'll notice they don't do it either, and that's PROBABLY because most of the people over there have the exact same experience-driven opinion that I do.

Quoted from heckheck:

Looking at it as a risk/reward maneuver seems silly to me, somewhat like patting my head and rubbing my stomach at the same time. Can I do it, yes. Do I want to do it while I intensely play pinball? I don't get the appeal, I'm trying to play pinball, not Simon.

That's OK, a lot of other people find risk/reward fun. See, for example, ACDC.

Quoted from heckheck:

I respectfully disagree with Keith, that said, it's his game to design. I just don't think a player controlled diverter can improve game flow if one has to do acrobatics to activate it..

We're more into fun than flow.

Quoted from heckheck:

Also, I'm still looking for the reasons to stay in. What was changed was a VERY good effort for the time in which it was done, I fully applaud it, but I'm still not completely WOW'd, and I need to be for 7500(+400 extra in decal upgrades). I'm desperately worried about gameplay with all the drops and all the wide open long shots in the widebody form factor. In the Expo videos, it somewhat reminded me of some of the early SS widebodies with lots of drops and super long shots. Will it play differently (faster) than the Expo videos, I sure hope so. Still waiting on good video from IAAPA before I have to decide.

Not every game is for every person. I'm sure there are lots of other super-attractive options for you out there. I'm sure you also have some clue that games can be setup shallower/steeper and we have unprecedented control over coil power?

Pinball's supposed to be fun, I guess I don't get the constant worrying.

The only further piece of advice I could possibly offer you is that you've seen the playfield now, it's not going to change further. Now you can either trust that Ted and I have some clue what we're doing or not.

#2712 5 years ago

Looks fun. This finished product will be a blast to play. I like the pages turning on the LCD book.

#2713 5 years ago
Quoted from jazc4:

Looks fun. This finished product will be a blast to play. I like the pages turning on the LCD book.

I agree and thought it was neat that the pages were giving out instructions to the player as this seems like a unique way to guide someone (like a callout). However, without seeing the machine in person I am concerned that my old eyes will not be able to read what the book is saying, especially while playing. Yet I like what I saw in the video!

#2714 5 years ago
Quoted from Santeh:

I agree and thought it was neat that the pages were giving out instructions to the player as this seems like a unique way to guide someone (like a callout). However, without seeing the machine in person I am concerned that my old eyes will not be able to read what the book is saying, especially while playing.

+1

#2715 5 years ago
Quoted from Santeh:

I agree and thought it was neat that the pages were giving out instructions to the player as this seems like a unique way to guide someone (like a callout). However, without seeing the machine in person I am concerned that my old eyes will not be able to read what the book is saying, especially while playing. Yet I like what I saw in the video!

Don't worry about those old eyes. If it's hard to read, it won't take long for someone to figure a way to fit a bigger screen in it.

#2716 5 years ago

I believe it's a ball save.

Any idea how that would work?

#2717 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Always taking the high ground.

You are one classy dude.

I don't give a damn what you think. Full disclosure: I don't like you one iota.

#2718 5 years ago

Your name means Captain Christmas. Christmas is a happy time Don't worry be happy!

#2719 5 years ago

Hobbit Gameplay video... Enjoy : )

Check it out and give us a shout for you BEST pricing on Hobbit LE and Smaug Gold SE !

Joe Newhart
PinballSTAR Amusements
Authorized Jersey Jack Pinball Distributor
Sales@PinballSTAR.com
570-357-0042

#2720 5 years ago

Watching the video again I like how the drop targets cycle as to which one is standing since this adds another element of skill and difficulty. I do agree, though, with the comments that the cycling drops are loud, yet hopefully with the glass on it will not be too bad (plus the game sounds would most likely be muffled a bit with the environment).

Quoted from jazc4:

Don't worry about those old eyes. If it's hard to read, it won't take long for someone to figure a way to fit a bigger screen in it.

Yep, I love to mod my games thus if I need something to help me see the text on the LCD I would be interested.

#2721 5 years ago

Looks like a winner to me.

#2722 5 years ago

The drop targets is a BIG thing I think not alot of folks are really realizing what can be added to the game - frustration, trickery, timing, etc.. and all the things Keith can do with rules along with that... It really is a totally new avenue of gameplay... That so far has been really overlooked... Good stuff - will only get better as people get to play it and the rules develop !

#2723 5 years ago

Cool, thanks Joe for the video!

#2724 5 years ago
Quoted from Santeh:

Watching the video again I like how the drop targets cycle as to which one is standing since this adds another element of skill and difficulty. I do agree, though, with the comments that the cycling drops are loud, yet hopefully with the glass on it will not be too bad (plus the game sounds would most likely be muffled a bit with the environment).

Yep, I love to mod my games thus if I need something to help me see the text on the LCD I would be interested.

Just released! THLE LCD Book Mod. $199

mod.jpg

*Also available with gold rims for Smaug Special Edition* just add $50

#2725 5 years ago

Is there a sling above the drop targets on the left? Looks like there was fairly early in the video.

#2726 5 years ago

yes the sling replaced the flipper on the early design.

#2727 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballer0415:

Is there a sling above the drop targets on the left? Looks like there was fairly early in the video.

Yes that is correct

#2728 5 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

yes the sling replaced the flipper on the early design.

They probably could have kept that flipper and made the other one a sling. Could have used it as another way into the now open pops hole. Just spitballin here

#2729 5 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

Just released! THLE LCD Book Mod. $199

*Also available for Smaug Special Edition* just add $50

mod.jpg 6 KB

Lol! I am not there yet, but you never know!

#2730 5 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

I'm soooooo bored with the constant "flow" refrain. I have Star Trek, not a hater of fan layouts or Ritchie games, but for all that is good in pinball let's please not have every game be all about ramps that return to a flipper as fast as possible.

There are some great games with zero ramps and lots of drop targets.

#2731 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm soooooo bored with the constant "flow" refrain. I have Star Trek, not a hater of fan layouts or Ritchie games, but for all that is good in pinball let's please not have every game be all about ramps that return to a flipper as fast as possible.

+1.. I like both flow and stop-and-go games, thus I am also much more interested in the fun factor rather than a particular design set.

#2732 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I couldn't agree more.

#2733 5 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Not every game is for every person. I'm sure there are lots of other super-attractive options for you out there. I'm sure you also have some clue that games can be setup shallower/steeper and we have unprecedented control over coil power?
Pinball's supposed to be fun, I guess I don't get the constant worrying.

I agree.

#2734 5 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

It hasn't been revealed yet. But from what I understood there should be a diverter that can deliver the ball to Smaug, to the LT return lane, or down the LT return rail to the windlance kickback. I always assumed that LT return rail would be a physical ball lock, but I'm really not sure at this point. It could just be that with this basic code running on the prototype, they removed the diverter & the windlance kickback for a later reveal. So still something to look forward to

#2735 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Didn't want to just say "I agree" cause there is a thumbs up button for that. More specifically I love flow games but I think the industry needs to be conscious of becoming too homogenized.

However, I don't think we are in too much danger of a long term rash of cookie cutter designs. Trends come and go in game design, but in the end all designers want something unique about their game and I think with the current state of pinball we will see no shortage of innovation. People will try new things a few times a year. The popularity of those games that take risks will drive the future styles of production.

#2736 5 years ago

whiny.jpg
#2737 5 years ago

I like TWD flow, yeah its fast but requires skilled shooting to bring the flow out of the game. Love STLE but quite easy to make the shots except the warp ramp, and how rewarding is it when you make that shot, especially several time in a row. The Hobbit gameplay looks great, like TWD something a little different. Very happy with that gameplay video, needs louder volume.

#2738 5 years ago

for the most part, I think that they hit the nail on the head and addressed most of the issues that people complained about @ expo, however I've got one question which has been bothering me.

smaug twin.jpg

so, is the circled orb (which lites up) supposed to be smaug's eye when he first awakens?

if so, doesn't anyone else find it odd that we have smaug under a pile of coins and above him, we have smaug's long lost twin brother that is "revealing" himself as the pile of rock rotates?!?

#2739 5 years ago
Quoted from jazc4:

I believe it's a ball save

I think it's been removed:

In games at the show...

- Closed entrance to shooter lane from outlane

#2740 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

so, is the circled orb (which lites up) supposed to be smaug's eye when he first awakens?

I never thought that to the the eye and just thought it was there for lighting. Looking at it now, I think it would be cool if that was the Arkenstone.

#2741 5 years ago

That just a decal in between the speakers

#2742 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

Doesn't anyone else find it odd that we have smaug under a pile of coins and above him, we have smaug's long lost twin brother that is "revealing" himself as the pile of rock rotates?!?

smaug twin.jpg 72 KB

You can never have too much Smaug. Stop talking such heresy.

Actually its a homage to the original design where Smaug used to interact with the ball. Now it's just in his treasure pile.

#2743 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

for the most part, I think that they hit the nail on the head and addressed most of the issues that people complained about @ expo, however I've got one question which has been bothering me.

if so, doesn't anyone else find it odd that we have smaug under a pile of coins and above him, we have smaug's long lost twin brother that is "revealing" himself as the pile of rock rotates?!?

smaug twin.jpg 72 KB

No it just lights up the gold Again nothing is final yet

#2744 5 years ago

I assume the video shows the "red" Smaug.. that's not just the lighting..
I like what I see so far… the cycling of the dwarf targets is the only down and could be really annoying but I'll wait till the rules clarify themselves and play it..
I do kind of wonder with the wide open pf.. why not just make it a standard width game.. does it really need to be a wide body..
I think the red Smaug head with LED lit eyes and once the diverter and toilet box beside him are done is fine.. let JJP be done with the game and move on to production….

#2745 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

Lets not overthink it too much... I think it's supposed to be a flasher.... that flashes.

#2746 5 years ago
Quoted from B9:

I never thought that to the the eye and just thought it was there for lighting. Looking at it now, I think it would be cool if that was the Arkenstone.

Thats what I originally thought it was, a cap that dropped to reveal the arkenstone then I realized it was just a flasher.

#2747 5 years ago

Yeeeeess. I just got the go ahead to buy when they come out. OK. Who wants to sell me a slightly used HUO game 3 months after they receive it? Coasterguy???

#2748 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

It's just a flasher...

I'm still a little "meh" on the dragon (wished for more interaction) hope the new one being developed adds a little more life.

Also hope they do a little more on the right side...looks a little plain (hobbit house maybe?...)

...still haven't seen that 3rd flipper get that ball up that ramp (last video included)... I guess it's just meant to shoot at targets blocked by the popups? (but then why the curve in the ramp? hmmmm...)

#2749 5 years ago

I am sure it's still in the works where everything will be positioned, but the book is in an odd place. If this is it's final resting place then the pop cap with the detail should be moved out from under the book.

Also how will the new bag end shot work? Will there be a new switch there where the mode change switches use to be? a roll over button switch or something?

#2750 5 years ago
Quoted from mummite:

I am sure it's still in the works where everything will be positioned, but the book is in an odd place. If this is it's final resting place then the pop cap with the detail should be moved out from under the book.

Also how will the new bag end shot work? Will there be a new switch there where the mode change switches use to be? a roll over button switch or something?

...looks like there is a target type switch at the end of that shot...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
£ 50.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 55 of 201.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside