47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 53 of 201.
#2601 6 years ago

Nice to actually gets some comments from the JJP team!

#2602 6 years ago
Quoted from RealityCheck:

Jesus. Its all the same fanboys on a different day. It's absolutely amazing how little can change on this game and suddenly it's "amazing". The rest of the world are just rolling their eyes.

Yeah, and where is the fire breathing full body Smaug huh, or the holographic Eagles that swoop down and save your draining ball! - wait, that actually isn't bad.

Just kidding, nice improvements all around.

#2603 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Lol. There is more to it than just that.

Hmm...do tell Alex!

Edit: On second thought, don't tell. I've already seen enough to be in and don't mind some surprises down the road.

#2604 6 years ago

Wow all day and no video, in this day and age that's hard to believe.

#2605 6 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

After looking at the pillar pictures again, I really hope they paint them to give that same "marbled-green" color effect like they appear in the movie. That would look really nice. There's even little small piles of gold already sculpted onto them. Nice touch & great attention to detail. Cant wait to see Smaug with a tongue, teeth & lit yellow eyes

smaug pillars.jpg 140 KB

im kinda thinking those pillars are actually the dwarves smelter in the mountain. i think with that and the gold smaug it ties in nice from the movie. it will be interesting to see how the lcd ties in with smaug,and the smelter during gameplay. battle in the refinery mode?

#2606 6 years ago

Ok... Let me start by saying, WOW. I LOVE the changes to the playfield. It looks much more engaging now. The new huge lower PF Smaug looks menacing, and awesome!

I must say though, I thought the initial image of the Gold Mechanical Smaug was a joke. I'm not knocking Matt, I think he's doing a great job, and things are only improving... But am I the only person who thought it looked like Smaug was coming out of a toilet??!! I guess that's supposed to be a stack of treasure chests??! It looks like the top of a Porcelein Throne! I actually wondered if it was somebody's idea of a gag, to make it look like he was popping out of a toilet bowl. I guess I need to get my mind out of the gutter!

Way to go Team JJP. This machine is just getting better and better!

image.jpg

#2607 6 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

But am I the only person who thought it looked like Smaug was coming out of a toilet??!! I guess that's supposed to be a stack of treasure chests??! It looks like the top of a Porcelein Throne! I actually wondered if it was somebody's idea of a gag, to make it look like he was popping out of a toilet bowl. I guess I need to get my mind out of the gutter!

Thanks, now that's what I'll be seeing when i look at it.

#2608 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Thanks for the clarification Alex. I guess that puts a stop to any further flights of fancy....or does it?

On the contrary, let the flights of fancy begin!

Maybe they will double as trolls and multiball locks.
Subway ramps to Smaug's treasure?
Revolver-style rotator under the playfield that allows multiple different miniatures to pop up (goblin, orc, etc.) or multiple functions (troll vs. subway ramp vs. multiball lock)
Gumball mech that drops your ball and pops one out somewhere else!

#2610 6 years ago

I am impressed; much better then before guys; really turning out nice.

#2611 6 years ago

Jesus. Its all the same fanboys on a different day. It's absolutely amazing how little can change on this game and suddenly it's "amazing". The rest of the world are just rolling their eyes.
Smaug is still just a silly talking sock puppet (and still mediocre artwork at that). The gold Smaug is just altogether ridiculous. What about the rest of his body and what about him actually interacting with the ball directly? JJP never listened from day 1. The thing is just silly.
There is a serious lack of actual toys in this game. Extremely weak for the price. I can pay 4500 for a NIB Stern and get more. TWD looks like an amazing bargain right now! That's the sad truth ("oh, but the lcd screen and real metal wireforms ... ", shut up. Give me a break fanboys).
Oh hey, ramp etchings! sorry but they are completely boring. couldn't do some figure or symbol or something more creative there?? It just seems like another weak attempt at following Stern. No creativity whatsoever.
The apron ... just new artwork? I really liked everyone's idea of an interactive and lighted map. I thought that was a no-brainer. This is just another step back. How can you describe this as anything else? people suggested and had been hoping for an interactive apron of some sort (or at least add in some amazing backlighting or something original!) Again, completely boring, static, and unoriginal. Certainly not what I would expect in a seriously expensive game like this.
They threw on a 5" lcd ... which now looks completely out of place, boring, and who knows what they need it for to begin with. Lift your eyes 12" higher to the much touted 22" lcd for crying out loud!! It's basically pointless and at this point the modders could have done a much better job integrating it into the game. What a waste and at the expense of not having a 2nd toy at that. Even yet another step back from WOZ, this time the crystal ball. Terribly weak.
Overall cohesiveness ... im sure it is just me but this looks like a complete mess. A serious kludge. I guess this is what happens when you lose your lead designer.
In the end Im thinking ... maybe this could be moderately fun ... if it cost 5000-5500! But at the price they're asking they've not done their job. A big step back from WOZ. A huge disappointment from what many of us were hoping for 2 years ago.
The fanboys can (and will) thumbs down this all they want. This game will not sell thousands which is what JJP really needed. Hopefully there are enough of you who will still buy no matter what (or are too lazy to cancel or you're still holding onto your pipe dream that this game will somehow go up in value, lol). Because its up to you boys and girls to keep JJP alive until Pat's game comes out.

It's obvious you have been on here a while and didn't just join pinside today. Why didn't you have the balls to post this with your usual account? Is this CraZ4Pin??

#2612 6 years ago

Im gonna assume they do nothing but pop up and get bashed. Everytime I get my hopes up and think something great is gonna happen I am let down.

#2613 6 years ago

That would be good enough for me.

#2614 6 years ago

now that i think about it , it would be neat if smaug was done in a highly reflective silver. with spotlight rbg's on him , programming in the machine could have him illuminated in red until batlle in the smelter mode was going on and the lighting could change to yellow to illuminate him a gold color.

#2615 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

It's obvious you have been on here a while and didn't just join pinside today. Why didn't you have the balls to post this with your usual account? Is this CraZ4Pin??

I have one account. Do you think this is a computer-generated opinion?  What difference does it make how long I've been a member.  I saw JJP's FB post of the updated Hobbit and went looking to vent my frustrations.  Here I am!

I hope you guys are still buying because someone needs to continue to finance these guys and keep them in business until someone else comes along (ala' Pat) and makes a real game.

How you can look at this mess and not see a major step back from WOZ is beyond me.  Why not address these following points ...

Why is Smaug a mediocre piece of child artwork and only his head at that?

Why does Smaug not directly interact with the ball despite customers begging for this for 2 years?

How are cabinet decals not a step back from direct-print on ECLEWOZ? 

Why are the number of LED inserts cut in half (or more?) from WOZ?

Why could JJP not come up with a creative use for an lcd on the playfield like the cyrstal ball?  Pointless.

Where are all the toys that were in WOZ???

Why is more than 2/3 of the playfield completely wide open ... nothing .. void.  That's all you could come up with to introduce better "flow"? 

Why is JJP no longer including a topper even on the LE's?  Where did the cost for that go into?

It's amazing that given a very small number of neat things to look at on the playfield JJP actually managed to find a way to detract from the pop bumer toppers with that ugly looking lcd.

Why is there simply a metal apron with art and not wooden on the LE version (excuse me, versions) of this game?  Just 1 more step back from WOZ and again, you couldn't even so much as add backlighting or something original on it?

You can get a TWD shipped to you in the $4500-4600 range no problem.  Where do you see the justification for another $4000 (or more) in this game?!?  It's just ridiculous.  You have to know you are financing the numerous business mistakes JJP has been making to date, no?  Because the money is definitely not in the bill of material.

#2616 6 years ago
Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

Im gonna assume they do nothing but pop up and get bashed. Everytime I get my hopes up and think something great is gonna happen I am let down.

Yep, better to keep expectations in check and be pleasantly surprised rather than disappointed.

#2617 6 years ago

Ahhh, video of the game play, please!

#2618 6 years ago
Quoted from ls1chris:

im kinda thinking those pillars are actually the dwarves smelter in the mountain. i think with that and the gold smaug it ties in nice from the movie. it will be interesting to see how the lcd ties in with smaug,and the smelter during gameplay. battle in the refinery mode?

That's not what I see. I see pillars & columns from the treasure room that aren't completed or painted green yet. And the fact Jack reffered to it as a "column" in his press release. So not a smelter. Or a toilet.

treasure room.jpg

#2619 6 years ago

I have one account. Do you think this is a computer-generated opinion?  What difference does it make how long I've been a member.  I saw JJP's FB post of the updated Hobbit and went looking to vent my frustrations.  Here I am!
I hope you guys are still buying because someone needs to continue to finance these guys and keep them in business until someone else comes along (ala' Pat) and makes a real game.
How you can look at this mess and not see a major step back from WOZ is beyond me.  Why not address these following points ...
Why does Smaug not directly interact with the ball despite customers begging for this for 2 years?
Why could JJP not come up with a creative use for an lcd on the playfield like the cyrstal ball?  Pointless.
Why is more than 2/3 of the playfield completely wide open ... nothing .. void.  That's all you could come up with to introduce better "flow"? 
Why is JJP no longer including a topper even on the LE's?  Where did the cost for that go into?
It's amazing that given a very small number of neat things to look at on the playfield JJP actually managed to find a way to detract from the pop bumer toppers with that ugly looking lcd.
Why is there simply a metal apron with art and not wooden on the LE version (excuse me, versions) of this game?  Just 1 more step back from WOZ and again, you couldn't even so much as add backlighting or something original on it?
You can get a TWD shipped to you in the $4500-4600 range no problem.  Where do you see the justification for another $4000 (or more) in this game?!?  It's just ridiculous.  You have to know you are financing the numerous business mistakes JJP has been making to date, no?  Because the money is definitely not in the bill of material.

I don't know you, but I think you make some valid points. Perhaps try to not be as insulting to others that are genuinely excited to get this machine.
I think JJP is doing their best - especially to put up with Peter Jackson and his idiotic ideas of what should be allowed.
I hope everyone that stayed in love the game when they get it!

#2620 6 years ago

How you can look at this mess and not see a major step back from WOZ is beyond me.

Forget about WOZ for a second. A month ago this game was revealed at Chicago Expo to a resounding "WTF!" A month later, the game has at the very least been massively improved from an aesthetic standpoint. Your other points may be valid - but this effort to improve the game this close to release has to be commended.

#2621 6 years ago

That is definitely Craz4Pin. The constant use of ellipsis. The same diatribe. This guy is a piece of work. Mods please handle that.

#2622 6 years ago

I find it odd Craz4pin's account is unlocked....yet he has zero posts on this big Hobbit reveal day. Then there posts like this. You do the math.

#2623 6 years ago

This implies that you have been on pinside, not facebook.

Seriously? Wow. It looks great and isn't totally shown yet...his tail will be present too.

Apparently this was WBs decision, not JJPs.

Because we won't have to wait years for them to be produced. That, AND we have a new option that looks BETTER than the direct print cabs.

Have you seen the mechs on the bottom of the playfield??? No room for inserts! What's there looks great though. Plenty of inserts for awesome lightshows.

Why could JJP not come up with a creative use for an lcd on the playfield like the cyrstal ball? Pointless.

I personally think the book is quite clever and a great addition. You will be writing Bilbo's book while you play! Brilliant!! I do hope it interacts with the player more than the crystal ball though and from what I've seen, it does!

Those toys were WOZ-specific. Seriously though...4 pop-up creatures, smaug, book LCD, crazy number of drop targets, axe slings, barrel bumpers? What does WOZ have? Crystal ball, spinning house, monkey, castle doors? Seems about even...maybe even more toys on Hobbit.

Why is more than 2/3 of the playfield completely wide open ... nothing .. void. That's all you could come up with to introduce better "flow"?

It's a fan layout ala AFM, MM, MB, etc... It's a tried and true layout that has flow and is fun.

Why is JJP no longer including a topper even on the LE's? Where did the cost for that go into?

Because toppers are lame. Cost probably went into developing the game, or maybe into JJps pocket. Either way, who cares? I hope JJP makes a shit-ton off this game so he continues to put out great games.

The aesthetics of the LCD border aren't done...wait and see the final result before judging.

Why is there simply a metal apron with art and not wooden on the LE version (excuse me, versions) of this game? Just 1 more step back from WOZ and again, you couldn't even so much as add backlighting or something original on it?

We don't know if this is final, but I think it looks quite good. One of the best looking aprons I've seen in a loooong time.

Quoted from RealityCheck:You can get a TWD shipped to you in the $4500-4600 range no problem. Where do you see the justification for another $4000 (or more) in this game?!? It's just ridiculous. You have to know you are financing the numerous business mistakes JJP has been making to date, no? Because the money is definitely not in the bill of material.

You're ridiculous and you should buy TWD pro. GTFO.

#2624 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

That is definitely Craz4Pin. The constant use of ellipsis. The same diatribe. This guy is a piece of work. Mods please handle that.

Ellipsis' s? If he is the only other person to find this game lacking and incredibly overpriced then yes, I need to meet my doppelganger. Sorry to hurt your feelings.

#2625 6 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I find it odd Craz4pin's account is unlocked....yet he has zero posts on this big Hobbit reveal day. Then there posts like this. You do the math.

This is when Craz4pin shows up if his account is reenabled saying I swear it's not me. When the dude had 3 different accounts he was using to post from all with mildly different but all ridiculous banter.

#2626 6 years ago

Ellipsis' s? If he is the only other person to find this game lacking and incredibly overpriced the yes, I need to meet my doppelganger. Sorry to hurt your feelings.

Wow man. You couldn't take the ban and just leave. You had to make yet another account to bother us all? Just take the hint.

#2627 6 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

That's not what I see. I see pillars & columns from the treasure room that aren't completed or painted green yet. And the fact Jack reffered to it as a "column" in his press release. So not a smelter. Or a toilet.

treasure room.jpg 49 KB

Hoaky,
fair enough, i cant find a pic anywhere of what it made me think of in the movie when i saw the "toilet" and the other pillar towards the ball diverter at the back. it reminded me of the "roman plumbing" they used to move the molten gold.
i wonder if this is even final revision on the PF also as no one has seen any of the assets of the final movie either.
they are gonna keep us guessing right until the end.
also you mod guys out there , when the time comes i would like a second lcd i can "twin" off the PF lcd to put in that spot in the top middle of the back box. like a 6 or 7 inch.

#2628 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

This implies that you have been on pinside, not facebook.

Seriously? Wow. It looks great and isn't totally shown yet...his tail will be present too.

Look on FB ... the same fanboy comments were and are made on there.

Relax dude. You have your opinion. I have mine.

If you like what you see and think it's a great price then buy 2! As I said, someone needs to keep them in business. But im seriously bummed what they're doing to pinball. Nearly doubling NIB prices and now already backing way off the quality and innovation that was promised.

#2629 6 years ago
Quoted from ls1chris:

Hoaky,
fair enough, i cant find a pic anywhere of what it made me think of in the movie when i saw the "toilet" and the other pillar towards the ball diverter at the back. it reminded me of the "roman plumbing" they used to move the molten gold.
i wonder if this is even final revision on the PF also as no one has seen any of the assets of the final movie either.
they are gonna keep us guessing right until the end.

Well based on the Expo reveal, I think we can all assume that whatever was revealed today is not the final version & changes are still coming to the aesthetics & design. The "pillars" don't look finished to me either & the book will mostly likely be better incorporated into the back corner. Who knows, but fun to guess

#2630 6 years ago

This game is looking really nice, love to see some gameplay.

#2631 6 years ago

Look on FB ... the same fanboy comments were and are made on there.
Relax dude. You have your opinion. I have mine.
If you like what you see and think it's a great price then buy 2! As I said, someone needs to keep them in business. But im seriously bummed what they're doing to pinball. Nearly doubling NIB prices and now already backing way off the quality and innovation that was promised.

Do you have any games in you're collection? If you're not buying The hobbit then why do you care at all? Why are you a douchebag? Thank You

#2632 6 years ago

We'll - Crack4pin or not, I think mods should auto ban accounts that are 1 day old that are obviously on a smear campaign to a company or another pinsider. This should get weeded out immediately with a zero tolerance for this kind of activity.

#2633 6 years ago

Jack also mentioned on the Google Group that Keith installed some new code towards the end of the day today.

If someone could post some video tomorrow of that new code, we'd all be very grateful!

#2634 6 years ago

I'm late getting into this because of my schedule, and I'll admit to being a little bit nervous to see what they came up with since Expo, (and I was not upset at all by what I saw there), but I'm just blown away by the new playfield art and everything else, can't understand how anyone can not be impressed!

JJP is to be commended on listening to their customers, taking criticism as feedback even when it was obviously agenda driven, and not being stubborn as some companies are.

This is going to be one FANTASTIC pin!!

#2635 6 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

treasure room.jpg 49 KB

yes they are columns and or pillars just like in the pic u posted. The color was still being discussed as there are both brown and green in the movie. If u look on the ramp u can see that decals where made to add the look of more columns in the area and to dress up the ramp. here is another pic of the main column that covers the diverter mech.

IMG_3243.JPG IMG_3244.JPG IMG_3245.JPG IMG_3246.JPG
#2636 6 years ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

This is going to be one FANTASTIC pin!!

Agreed. I almost cancelled my order after the expo just because it didn't look the way I imagined it would. But I like where it is going and feel much better about getting this now. I am just not sure if I want the LE or the SE?

#2637 6 years ago

Matt, those look nice man! I think a greenish/grey stone look would look best, but that is just my opinion. The sculpt is nice regardless. Also, in the movies - is the green effect on the columns from algae, copper, mold, water from years of decay?

This is a nice image (see the column in the center background) http://www-images.theonering.org/torwp/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/thdos-trailer01-0901.jpg

#2638 6 years ago

Here is a pic of the back column/pillar also all the gold pieces.
***Fun nerdy fact I put in over 2400 individual coins in this game...lol ***
And yes I like the smaller ones on smaug too, but man that was a lot more coins, lol

IMG_3196.JPG
#2639 6 years ago

Hobbit PF video from Jesse @ Pincades, He will post game play video tomorrow for sure

#2640 6 years ago

Matt, thanks for the column pics.

Any thoughts on the gold vs red Smaug? From the photos it is hard to tell how much contrast/texture the gold head has. Are their details not showing up, because the colors of red Smaug just look a lot more interesting from the limited pics?

Great work on the new heads and column pieces. Can't wait to see Smaug's teeth/tongue and effects!

#2641 6 years ago
Quoted from BackAlleyMatt:

here is another pic of the main column that covers the diverter mech.

Thanks for sharing the picts!

#2642 6 years ago

The columns really do look awesome Matt, really gives the feel from in the mountain, now imagine if they were the grey or greenish, the gold coins would really stand out,where as right now they sorta blend in.

#2643 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Today, I am proud to call myself a JJP Fanboy.
PS - I'm still waiting for CraZ4Pin to stop crying and chime in. Sorry you cancelled your order yet, Tim?

Well, I called it earlier today, and it happened. I just didn't realize he'd have to create a new account to do it. Welcome back!

#2644 6 years ago

Greenish columns would connect the look with the play field part between the flippers. There are green collums and Bilbo stands in the gold coins.
But I don't know what really would look better.

#2645 6 years ago

What do you guys think about the white flippers with yellow rubbers. I think black/black would be the way to go. Thoughts?

Also, can the L O C K rollover targets change color? - just curious...

#2646 6 years ago

"Trolls are pin heads". Lol

image-188.jpg
#2647 6 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

What do you guys think about the white flippers with yellow rubbers. I think black/black would be the way to go. Thoughts?
Also, can the L O C K rollover targets change color? - just curious...

I think I might change mine to gold shiny flippers but not sure yet.

#2648 6 years ago
Quoted from BackAlleyMatt:

» YouTube video
Hobbit PF video from Jesse @ Pincades, He will post game play video tomorrow for sure

Matt,

Since in your in this thread. Someone on another thread mentioned mixing in other treasures into the treasure pile with Smaug (see example picture, link below). Something like that possible at this stage? By the way, I think everything you've done looks great, but I thought that was a great suggestion. Could also help to differentiate/delineate the Gold Treasure Pile from the Gold Smaug.

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/wiredscience/2013/11/the_hobbit_the_desolation_of_smaug_sneak_peek_hd_mp_4_21.jpg

#2649 6 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

"Trolls are pin heads". Lol

That's just craZ

#2650 6 years ago
Quoted from Dalbok:

mixing in other treasures into the treasure pile with Smaug

yep, I was thinking the same thing this would really help the composition and not be so Gold coin crazy!

There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 53 of 201.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside