47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg
There are 10,044 posts in this topic. You are on page 52 of 201.
#2551 9 years ago

Does it look like the ball could roll down the pile of gold back to the playfield?

#2552 9 years ago
Quoted from BackAlleyMatt:

I am sure we will be having a meeting with Jack and crew through out this week and after Iappa to make final of whats all what and what was suggested. So at the moment to my knowledge this is a possibility.

If you made it look like partial gold like and red to look like the gold had dripped off his face that would be awesome.

#2553 9 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

I would say its totally appropriate and extra awesome for the Smaug SE. Unfortunately for me and "3" other guys it's for all the versions. Here is what I want for my LE. I know, its so drab and boring isn't it?

colors.png 1.6 MB

I think that looks good too. The original just had so much blue! I think I still like the Smaug-in-ya'-face version, however.

#2554 9 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I think the lighting in the eyes should be orange or red
Quick question on the eye lighting - is that going to be the whole eye (or just the iris?)

Smaug's iris is always yellow in the movie, I don't see how they could make it any other color than that. The eyes will probably be colored yellow on the actual model, then be backlit by a small white LED? My guess at least.

#2555 9 years ago

Ignoring all previous comments, didn't read in detail, my personal thoughts before the first artwork was revealed was that it had to be all about the dragon and I was hoping for a pile of gold leading up to dragon artwork. And now we have it. I was iffy on this pin due to the original playfield art but the new art just about has me sold. LOVE the new playfield art, very engaging.

#2556 9 years ago

I'm hoping gameplay will be more integrated into the small LCD. Maybe a place to look to get a clue as to where to shoot for a mode or 2. It's one thing I had hoped for in WOZ with the crystal ball. It is cool, but I never look at the video on it when I play.

#2557 9 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Smaug's iris is always yellow in the movie, I don't see how they could make it any other color than that. The eyes will probably be colored yellow on the actual model, then be backlit by a small white LED? My guess at least.

Seems more orange (fire) than yellow to me. (1:45 in), but yellow I guess is fine too.

#2558 9 years ago

I would still love to see a video of the gameplay from IAAPA. Yet I really like the improvements from what was shown last month.

#2559 9 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Hex:

Is the new version still going to have the firing mechanism on the lockdown bar / apron?

I am all for having one on the lockdown bar, but JJP please add one wired in parallel as an extra side flipper button. After all my posting on this during the "feedback phase", I was disappointed not to see that in the list of changes. I think people would really use a flipper finger reachable instance of the diverter control.

-Jim

#2560 9 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Wireforms trump the clunky plastics they had pasted over them in the Expo prototype.

Glad they are gone.

They were sticker-covered metal tubes, not plastic FYI. You can debate about the look but they weren't that cheap.

#2561 9 years ago
Quoted from heckheck:

I am all for having one on the lockdown bar, but JJP please add one wired in parallel as an extra side flipper button. After all my posting on this during the "feedback phase", I was disappointed not to see that in the list of changes. I think people would really use a flipper finger reachable instance of the diverter control.
-Jim

I'm sure they thought this through...

#2562 9 years ago
Quoted from heckheck:

100% agree I really don't like the button on the lockdown either. much easier to control when its on the cab closer to the flipper buttons.

#2563 9 years ago
Quoted from spandol:

I'm hoping gameplay will be more integrated into the small LCD.

It will be. It's an actual VGA output device (yes the game uses 2 video outs).

#2564 9 years ago

Casuals don't use the extra flipper buttons on purpose. Generally it serves to confuse more than help. The benefit of the lockdown bar button is that it's way more obvious there's additional input.

#2565 9 years ago
Quoted from mummite:

100% agree I really don't like the button on the lockdown either. much easier to control when its on the cab closer to the flipper buttons.

For new players a flashing button in the center of the lock bar will be easier to see/find - and FIRE

#2566 9 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

They were sticker-covered metal tubes, not plastic FYI. You can debate about the look but they weren't that cheap.

I didn't say they were cheap. I said they looked bad.

#2567 9 years ago

So will instruction for the various modes be displayed here during gameplay? (among other things) If so that's a great idea, right in the line of sight as opposed to looking up at the backglass LCD. I'm sure you have multiple ideas up your sleeve.

#2568 9 years ago

That's awesome Keith, thank you!

#2569 9 years ago

Keith, can you reveal something about the ruleset? Tired of talking about art

#2570 9 years ago

At first I wasn't completely sold on the Hobbit, but a few things have swayed me from interested but not excited to "I absolutely must have this."

First off, the playfield art change is amazing. I flat out did not like the first version. The Smaug version I love. This swayed me big time.

The continuing good reviews of WOZ, the depth of the rule-set that was put into it, the "spared no expense" quality of the game has me excited for an equally top-of-the-line Hobbit to follow it up. A deep (to the point of near impossibility) rule-set is really attractive to me. Killing Smaug should be for only an experienced and skilled pinballer, and a goal to strive for that takes a long time to experience, let alone master.

At first the earthy-toned cabinet etc. seemed pretty low-key to me - almost to the point of boring. But seeing it in pictures in a row with other pins, it actually ends up having its own unique look that IMO looks great.

Medieval Madness troll clones? Now you're talking! This is one of the best reasons to go for a MM... because the trolls are hands down one of the coolest things in pinball. Now that they're incorporated into The Hobbit, I feel less like I'm missing out if I don't get MM to get The Hobbit instead.

Releasing alongside the third movie guarantees that the theme will be in people's minds at the time you put your Hobbit pinball machine on location.

All in all... I'm getting really excited for this! If they deliver the real deal with this pin (which I have absolute confidence they will. Nothing Peter Jackson related is ALLOWED to be less than epic, and it seems Jersey Jack is the same way) I think it might be "the one" for me, as a Tolkien and Hobbit fan already. And MM is my favourite pin of all time! How did JJ make me want something else even more?!?

And the LCD screen! Such an advantage over the DMD.

Keep up the good work guys, and I hope everything goes great with the launch.

#2571 9 years ago

Casuals don't use the extra flipper buttons on purpose.

lol, casuals. I think you were a breath away from just writing muggles.

You should make the lockdown bar button double as the Start button if the game hasn't started, just finding Start is hard for muggles casuals.

#2572 9 years ago

Don't know if this pic of the LCD "Book" has been posted.

1517465_882625915089339_5439890223825647823_n.jpg1517465_882625915089339_5439890223825647823_n.jpg
#2573 9 years ago

Jesus. Its all the same fanboys on a different day. It's absolutely amazing how little can change on this game and suddenly it's "amazing". The rest of the world are just rolling their eyes.

Smaug is still just a silly talking sock puppet (and still mediocre artwork at that). The gold Smaug is just altogether ridiculous. What about the rest of his body and what about him actually interacting with the ball directly? JJP never listened from day 1. The thing is just silly.

There is a serious lack of actual toys in this game. Extremely weak for the price. I can pay 4500 for a NIB Stern and get more. TWD looks like an amazing bargain right now! That's the sad truth ("oh, but the lcd screen and real metal wireforms ... ", shut up. Give me a break fanboys).

Oh hey, ramp etchings! sorry but they are completely boring. couldn't do some figure or symbol or something more creative there?? It just seems like another weak attempt at following Stern. No creativity whatsoever.

The apron ... just new artwork? I really liked everyone's idea of an interactive and lighted map. I thought that was a no-brainer. This is just another step back. How can you describe this as anything else? people suggested and had been hoping for an interactive apron of some sort (or at least add in some amazing backlighting or something original!) Again, completely boring, static, and unoriginal. Certainly not what I would expect in a seriously expensive game like this.

They threw on a 5" lcd ... which now looks completely out of place, boring, and who knows what they need it for to begin with. Lift your eyes 12" higher to the much touted 22" lcd for crying out loud!! It's basically pointless and at this point the modders could have done a much better job integrating it into the game. What a waste and at the expense of not having a 2nd toy at that. Even yet another step back from WOZ, this time the crystal ball. Terribly weak.

Overall cohesiveness ... im sure it is just me but this looks like a complete mess. A serious kludge. I guess this is what happens when you lose your lead designer.

In the end Im thinking ... maybe this could be moderately fun ... if it cost 5000-5500! But at the price they're asking they've not done their job. A big step back from WOZ. A huge disappointment from what many of us were hoping for 2 years ago.

The fanboys can (and will) thumbs down this all they want. This game will not sell thousands which is what JJP really needed. Hopefully there are enough of you who will still buy no matter what (or are too lazy to cancel or you're still holding onto your pipe dream that this game will somehow go up in value, lol). Because its up to you boys and girls to keep JJP alive until Pat's game comes out.

Post edited by moderator: Permanent thread eject. Don't troll with your first post on the site.

#2574 9 years ago
Quoted from RealityCheck:

Jesus. Its all the same fanboys on a different day.

Same haters on a different day.

#2575 9 years ago
Quoted from jazc4:

Same haters on a different day.

Same haters with a new troll account.

#2576 9 years ago

Jesus. Its all the same fanboys on a different day. It's absolutely amazing how little can change on this game and suddenly it's "amazing". The rest of the world are just rolling their eyes.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. You seem to be well informed so I have to think you're not new to pinside.

If that's the case, why not post under your actual account instead of creating a new one?

#2577 9 years ago

Smaug is still just a silly talking sock puppet (and still mediocre artwork at that). The gold Smaug is just altogether ridiculous. What about the rest of his body and what about him actually interacting with the ball directly? JJP never listened from day 1. The thing is just silly.
There is a serious lack of actual toys in this game. Extremely weak for the price. I can pay 4500 for a NIB Stern and get more. TWD looks like an amazing bargain right now! That's the sad truth ("oh, but the lcd screen and real metal wireforms ... ", shut up. Give me a break fanboys).
Oh hey, ramp etchings! sorry but they are completely boring. couldn't do some figure or symbol or something more creative there?? It just seems like another weak attempt at following Stern. No creativity whatsoever.
The apron ... just new artwork? I really liked everyone's idea of an interactive and lighted map. I thought that was a no-brainer. This is just another step back. How can you describe this as anything else? people suggested and had been hoping for an interactive apron of some sort (or at least add in some amazing backlighting or something original!) Again, completely boring, static, and unoriginal. Certainly not what I would expect in a seriously expensive game like this.
They threw on a 5" lcd ... which now looks completely out of place, boring, and who knows what they need it for to begin with. Lift your eyes 12" higher to the much touted 22" lcd for crying out loud!! It's basically pointless and at this point the modders could have done a much better job integrating it into the game. What a waste and at the expense of not having a 2nd toy at that. Even yet another step back from WOZ, this time the crystal ball. Terribly weak.
Overall cohesiveness ... im sure it is just me but this looks like a complete mess. A serious kludge. I guess this is what happens when you lose your lead designer.
In the end Im thinking ... maybe this could be moderately fun ... if it cost 5000-5500! But at the price they're asking they've not done their job. A big step back from WOZ. A huge disappointment from what many of us were hoping for 2 years ago.
The fanboys can (and will) thumbs down this all they want. This game will not sell thousands which is what JJP really needed. Hopefully there are enough of you who will still buy no matter what (or are too lazy to cancel or you're still holding onto your pipe dream that this game will somehow go up in value, lol). Because its up to you boys and girls to keep JJP alive until Pat's game comes out.

hi gary!

#2578 9 years ago

Hey Reality Check here's a reality check for you, you're a Douchebag. Check

#2579 9 years ago

Creating a new account to flame sounds like somebody has a horse in the race and wants to hurt the competition. If this were a genuine opinion you could have wrote it with your own account. Fairly sure most people will disregard your opinion in favor of something more sincere.

#2580 9 years ago

RealityCheck
Pinhead
Location unknown.

I actually LOLd.

#2581 9 years ago

What's up Craz4pin. Welcome back under a new account. Mods?

#2582 9 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

Creating a new account to flame sounds like somebody has a horse in the race and wants to hurt the competition. If this were a genuine opinion you could have wrote it with your own account. Fairly sure most people will disregard your opinion in favor of something more sincere.

Damn. I was going to say the same thing. Pinside member since "today". LMAO.

#2583 9 years ago

Casuals don't use the extra flipper buttons on purpose. Generally it serves to confuse more than help. The benefit of the lockdown bar button is that it's way more obvious there's additional input.

It also adds risk/reward to using or not using the button at any given time. With extra buttons by the flippers, it's rarely a risk to activate them on the fly.

#2584 9 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Damn. I was going to say the same thing. Pinside member since "today". LMAO.

And that's my point to that "silverballz" guy who is always causing problems in every JJP thread. People who create a brand new account and their first and only post is inflammatory woz/hobbit hate are just trouble makers/trolls. And he actually disputes this. That right there kills any credibility he had if anyone believes these accounts are made for anything but instigation. Someone so defensive of them may be the source of some. Who knows.

#2585 9 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

Medieval Madness troll clones? Now you're talking! This is one of the best reasons to go for a MM... because the trolls are hands down one of the coolest things in pinball. Now that they're incorporated into The Hobbit, I feel less like I'm missing out if I don't get MM to get The Hobbit instead.

Wait until you see the mechanism underneath.

Top side of playfield might look like a MM troll, but underneath is a huge difference.

LTG : )™

#2586 9 years ago

So, are you getting one too?

#2587 9 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

It also adds risk/reward to using or not using the button at any given time. With extra buttons by the flippers, it's rarely a risk to activate them on the fly.

Heyyyyyyy someone gets it!

#2588 9 years ago

More pics from a friend at IAAPA.

image.jpgimage.jpg image-627.jpgimage-627.jpg image-378.jpgimage-378.jpg image-922.jpgimage-922.jpg image-560.jpgimage-560.jpg
#2589 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

What's up Craz4pin. Welcome back under a new account. Mods?

Yeah so Craz4pin has been banned & now he's resorting these tactics to attack JJP now? Whomever it is, what a loser. Thanks for the laugh

#2590 9 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

More pics from a friend at IAAPA.

Any video yet? I'd love to see the new lighting & flashers in action

#2591 9 years ago

Heyyyyyyy someone gets it!

"But it takes my hands off the flippers"

Ummm yeah that's the point.

#2592 9 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Top side of playfield might look like a MM troll, but underneath is a huge difference.

Must...smash...trolls...

#2593 9 years ago

I really like the changes we have seen so far. With Keith and Alex and the rest of the team on the code this has all the makings of an epic game. I feel great about my order now.

#2594 9 years ago

The backglass looks much better, they got rid of the halo around Bilbo's head.

#2595 9 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Do tell Lloyd! What do these new mechs add to the usual bash troll experience?

#2596 9 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Seems more orange (fire) than yellow to me. (1:45 in), but yellow I guess is fine too.
» YouTube video

I guess it is more orange than yellow, but that's practically the same I'm just happy they're going to be lit

I can imagine all the playfield lights blacked out, then the eyes light.....a rumbling growl.......BAM! Flasher/light explosion & Smaug's awake

#2597 9 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Is it possible double function , trap door like TOM and Troll like MM?, anybody can confirm this?

#2598 9 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Do tell Lloyd! What do these new mechs add to the usual bash troll experience?

The MM mech was a bit sloppy. On mine it would sometimes wiggle loose and sometimes sway a bit left to right. These mechs are significantly beefed up and mounted in a different way. No slop.

#2599 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

The MM mech was a bit sloppy. On mine it would sometimes wiggle loose and sometimes sway a bit left to right. These mechs are significantly beefed up and mounted in a different way. No slop.

Thanks for the clarification Alex. I guess that puts a stop to any further flights of fancy....or does it?

#2600 9 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Thanks for the clarification Alex. I guess that puts a stop to any further flights of fancy....or does it?

Lol. There is more to it than just that.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 25.50
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 10,044 posts in this topic. You are on page 52 of 201.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-update-1/page/52 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.