Topic Stats

• 10,044 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 714 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOB (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
No.gif
IMG_9476_(resized).JPG
47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 201.
#201 5 years ago
Quoted from Hogbog:

That would be me. I like to think I'm pretty different. Lights will not be daisy chained, GI will be different, inserts not blinding.

Plus it's going to be a fun game, because I'm one of the biggest Tolkien fans around, and rules are discussed among everyone on the team.

Thanks for sharing, I'm still interested in some sort of achievements system because it would add some additional goals and could be changed or updated over time

#202 5 years ago
Quoted from B9:

I'm still interested in some sort of achievements system

Sorry B9, but that is not for me. I want pinball not an RPG.

#203 5 years ago

if they make it so that you can continue your game where you left off, that would suck. If it was that way on LOTR, I would have saw valinor by now, and that would be disappointing. The fact that i'm going on 6 years and never seen it, gives me drive to make it happen. Plus, it will be more rewarding when it happens, due to the struggles and time it took to reach it. Might be the most rewarding ending, I will ever experience in pinball.

#204 5 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

+1

Quoted from CaptainNeo:

if they make it so that you can continue your game where you left off, that would suck. If it was that way on LOTR, I would have saw valinor by now, and that would be disappointing. The fact that i'm going on 6 years and never seen it, gives me drive to make it happen. Plus, it will be more rewarding when it happens, due to the struggles and time it took to reach it. Might be the most rewarding ending, I will ever experience in pinball.

+1

This is what killed off arcade machines (or part of the reason, anyway) IMO. Buy-ins/continues, easier games, cheats. (Game consoles took a chunk, too.) Same principle with pinball machines. No challenge, no replay value.

OT but personally I believe that video games became a whole lot less fun starting in the early 90s when consoles took over, games got easier, cheat codes were widely available, and "realistic 3D" became much more important than gameplay.

Pinball is sort of different in that you can't really have a "console version"... you either have the real thing or an emulation. Cheats and buy-ins would cheapen the games.

#205 5 years ago

home consoles killed arcades big time. Luckily for pinball, it's close but still doesn't replace the real thing.

#206 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I'd love to have the option to pause a game and/or save/restart a game. Doesn't mean I'd use it very often, but it would be nice.

#207 5 years ago

I don't even want the temptation. Games I own that even have buy in option, I turn it off immediately. If I can't do it normal, I don't deserve to see it.

#208 5 years ago

darn it... stop making me want to buy this game !!

#209 5 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

I'd love to have the option to pause a game and/or save/restart a game. Doesn't mean I'd use it very often, but it would be nice.

My friend has a TZ that you can cradle the ball on a flipper and press start and it will pause the game. Nice for grabbing a beer or using the restroom during a crazy game. I don't think you could use it to cheat. I wouldn't like pinball machines to have a save feature because it would make people question high scores.

#210 5 years ago
Quoted from atxpinballer:

My friend has a TZ that you can cradle the ball on a flipper and press start and it will pause the game. Nice for grabbing a beer or using the restroom during a crazy game. I don't think you could use it to cheat. I wouldn't like pinball machines to have a save feature because it would make people question high scores.

Yeah... part of the glory of the HS is holding your whiz If you gotta girlfriend, just scream "Sally! Go grab a bucket! I gotta good one goin here!"

#211 5 years ago

You may be over thinking what my expectations of achievement are - maybe a screen at the end of the game that shows what you accomplished during that game, for example:

20 YBR
50 Loops in Munchkin land
07 Witch Encounters

etc

#212 5 years ago
Quoted from atxpinballer:

The TZ home ROM (9.4H) has that feature - but after 15 minutes it lets the ball drain automatically! So you can't really stay away long enough for it to be regarded as cheating.

#213 5 years ago
Quoted from B9:

You may be over thinking what my expectations of achievement are - maybe a screen at the end of the game that shows what you accomplished during that game, for example:
20 YBR
07 Witch Encounters
etc

Oh, I get it now. Yeah, that would be cool! Sorry for the misunderstanding.

#214 5 years ago

Oh, I get it now. Yeah, that would be cool! Sorry for the misunderstanding.

no worries - I would be cool because JJP could add new achievements as updates get released. Initially there was some discussion about achievements like this and I hope that its something that they get to add in eventually.

#215 5 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

If you've got a girlfriend, just scream "Sally, go grab a bucket! I gotta good one goin' here!"

...and then hope her name is Sally.

#216 5 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

Yeah... part of the glory of the HS is holding your whiz If you gotta girlfriend, just scream "Sally! Go grab a bucket! I gotta good one goin here!"

Real men just go and worry about it later!

#217 5 years ago
Quoted from B9:

20 YBR
07 Witch Encounters
etc

That's exactly what I asked for many months ago for WOZ - more high score like tables. These give you reasons to play the game differently, other that shooting for a high score or achieving a wizard mode. You should be able to enter your name/initials for Yellow Brick Road Traveler, ECMB Champion, Witch Defeator, Rescue Champion, Horse of a Different Color Master, etc.

#218 5 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

This is what killed off arcade machines (or part of the reason, anyway) IMO. Buy-ins/continues, easier games, cheats. (Game consoles took a chunk, too.) Same principle with pinball machines. No challenge, no replay value.

Buy-ins/continues make arcade games less fun in the home environment, but for coin-op it totally makes sense. You want people to keep pumping quarters in to keep going. It definitely caused a split in design theories between arcade and console games...when the two had been the same for so long. Arcade games became quick rushes - fighting, driving, shooting. Consoles moved more toward larger narratives and huge worlds.

As for pinball, it absolutely made business sense for games like STTNG & Road Show to add a continue button. Keep the location player pumping in quarters to "see the end". I'm surprised Stern never did it, especially with super lengthy deep rules games like LOTR and TSPP. I'm surprised Jack didn't do it with WOZ due to depth and for operators (maybe there's a setting? I dunno). If Hobbit is another super lengthy quest game like LOTR - I say, bring on the buy-in! Don't like it, don't use it.

#219 5 years ago

definitely. Buy in's were a money maker. Look at gauntlet. Holy shit did that game eat quarters. Those things has to pay for themselves in the first month.

#220 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

definitely. Buy in's were a money maker. Look at gauntlet. Holy shit did that game eat quarters. Those things has to pay for themselves in the first month.

Neo, you are so right on that one. Gauntlet sucked down countless numbers of my quarters when I was about to die.

#221 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Buy-ins/continues make arcade games less fun in the home environment, but for coin-op it totally makes sense. You want people to keep pumping quarters in to keep going. It definitely caused a split in design theories between arcade and console games...when the two had been the same for so long. Arcade games became quick rushes - fighting, driving, shooting. Consoles moved more toward larger narratives and huge worlds.
As for pinball, it absolutely made business sense for games like STTNG & Road Show to add a continue button. Keep the location player pumping in quarters to "see the end". I'm surprised Stern never did it, especially with super lengthy deep rules games like LOTR and TSPP. I'm surprised Jack didn't do it with WOZ due to depth and for operators (maybe there's a setting? I dunno). If Hobbit is another super lengthy quest game like LOTR - I say, bring on the buy-in! Don't like it, don't use it.

There are two different philosophies in "keep them paying".... one is as you say... create the game however it is, and provide buy ins so people can see the end. The other is to create a challenging game that may be able to show you the end on a single pay... but probably won't. This keeps people buying anyway.

My argument was that the buy in ruined the games themselves, not that they didn't make business sense. If anyone with a pocket full of quarters can buy the end of the game, then it isn't special when you beat it on a quarter. Nobody cares... the initials you put in there become meaningless. They probably already were meaningless (nobody cares about your high score ) but the sense of achievement is much diminished if all you have to do is buy or cheat your way to the end of a game.

#222 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Gauntlet broke my bank big time......literally. I broke a bank I had in my bedroom so I could bring enough quarters to play that game!

#223 5 years ago
Quoted from iamabearsfan:

Gauntlet broke my bank big time......literally. I broke a bank I had in my bedroom so I could bring enough quarters to play that game!

i did the same! last month i even bought a busted up one and got the pcb to fire up, i have redone the control panel, rebuilt the power supply and built a new harness am currently in the sand, fill paint the cabinet before new artwork. i am stoked to share this oldie with my kids.
look at the wiring mess! enough OT my bad.

gaunt screen.jpg gaunt panel.jpg gaunt mess.jpg
#224 5 years ago
Quoted from roger0043:

Neo, you are so right on that one. Gauntlet sucked down countless numbers of my quarters when I was about to die.

I was lucky, the arcade that had a Gauntlet had a prototype one that didn't delete foods. Once you learned the levels and got your skill up a bit, you could play it as long as you wanted. The local record: 11M points, found out that after level 999 it wraps back to level 8, 37 hour game. The guy ran up enough health that he left it sitting overnight while the arcade was closed and 60,000 health later the game was still going. My personal best was a 10-hour game, 450 levels, 4.5M points which was good enough for #2 on the Elf high score board.

#225 5 years ago
Quoted from ls1chris:

i did the same! last month i even bought a busted up one and got the pcb to fire up, i have redone the control panel, rebuilt the power supply and built a new harness am currently in the sand, fill paint the cabinet before new artwork. i am stoked to share this oldie with my kids.
look at the wiring mess! enough OT my bad.

Quoted from Finrod:

I was lucky, the arcade that had a Gauntlet had a prototype one that didn't delete foods. Once you learned the levels and got your skill up a bit, you could play it as long as you wanted. The local record: 11M points, found out that after level 999 it wraps back to level 8, 37 hour game. The guy ran up enough health that he left it sitting overnight while the arcade was closed and 60,000 health later the game was still going. My personal best was a 10-hour game, 450 levels, 4.5M points which was good enough for #2 on the Elf high score board.

These are awesome!

I'd have put a couple grand into Gauntlet myself, I'm sure, if I didn't have the keys to most every game in the county, working for an Op. I'd go into a local skating rink and me and three friends would play the game for hours and hours. If the owner, manager, or shop foreman of the operator knew, I likely would have had a different carrier path.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#226 5 years ago

I actually bought a Gauntlet II in 1995 or 1996, before I had even thought about buying my own pinball machines. Still have it and it still plays fine, even though the monitor has some nasty burn-in from when it was a Gauntlet originally.

#227 5 years ago

that control panel looks really good on that game. Nice work.

#228 5 years ago

TMNT was my "Gauntlet" growing up. I probably could have bought one of the machines for the amount of quarters I have in it.

I am ok with the buy in stuff as long as there are two different scoreboards for regulation play and buy-ins. WCS94 is good this way and was fun for me. Judge Dredd on the other hand counts your buy-in ball towards the grand champion score. That I do not like.

#229 5 years ago

if anyone is looking there is one on calgary kijiji ( similar to craiglist ) set location to alberta, city to calgary and search arcades.for 850.00 but it's only worth 400 tops. (there is also a beautiful CV, LOTR,WOZCELE,MB,STTNG as a fellow is selling his collection)

1 week later
#230 5 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

My argument was that the buy in ruined the games themselves, not that they didn't make business sense. If anyone with a pocket full of quarters can buy the end of the game, then it isn't special when you beat it on a quarter. Nobody cares... the initials you put in there become meaningless. They probably already were meaningless (nobody cares about your high score ) but the sense of achievement is much diminished if all you have to do is buy or cheat your way to the end of a game.

Gauntlet's solution was to make the high scoreboard be a 'score per coin' board. One time I saw a guy who was trying to get on the Valkyrie top four (Gauntlet shows a top ten but only the top 4 survive poweroff), and another guy came in and maliciously added a quarter so that he now had to get double the score he previously needed to make the scoreboard.

#231 5 years ago

An was it Gandalf or Bilbo that played this game?

#232 5 years ago
Quoted from Finrod:

Gauntlet's solution was to make the high scoreboard be a 'score per coin' board. One time I saw a guy who was trying to get on the Valkyrie top four (Gauntlet shows a top ten but only the top 4 survive poweroff), and another guy came in and maliciously added a quarter so that he now had to get double the score he previously needed to make the scoreboard.

Dang... what an ahole he was

1 week later
#233 5 years ago

no new hobbit news yet

#234 5 years ago

no gnews is good gnews?

#235 5 years ago

damn, was excited to see some movement on this thread!

#236 5 years ago

hey , lets talk about guantlet ??? isn't this a hobbit thread , some people have the attention span of a fruitfly...lol

#237 5 years ago

Would be nice if Jack had a populated whitewood playfield to show off at the Ohio Show. Starting to wonder if it's a virtual pin or a real pin.

#238 5 years ago

JJP's primary focus right now seems to be getting the rest the EC WOZLE's to its customers as soon as possible, while also working on the upcoming pins/models at the same time, including THLE. I also like the fact that JJP is dedicating substantial effort/resources to product support, customer service, game development (software and engineering) and QC aspects of its business. JJP seems to have a superior support and service philosophy and staff and always backs it up with solid action. And many, many other good things...

Meanwhile, a cursory review of JJP's website reveals that one can still order a Hobbit LE at $8000 while a red 75th Anniversary WOZ will cost you cost $9000. From a JJP customer's perspective, I find this, well, a bit contradicting and confusing. The first rhetorical question that inevitably pops into one's mind here is if the red 75th WOZ is a better (and more expensive) pin than THLE? The answer is of course not, and that they're very comparable pins and their prices should reflect this fact accordingly.

If I were Jack (after all the EC WOZLE's are out of the shop), I'd quickly announce a price increase to The Hobbit LE, from, let's say, $8000 to $9000, and simultaneously re-confirm that all THLE's are and will be clear-coat direct print cabinets except with a possibility for vinyl cabinet decals for a discount of a certain amount (tbd by Jack and NOT grandfathered to the existing THLE pre-orders). After all, a price increase is a fact of life and happens all the time, and it seldom, if ever, hurts the business, if done intelligently and judiciously.

Such an announcement (above) might cost the company some initial money but would go a long ways towards renewing the current THLE customer base's excitement and eliminate some existing uncertainties/questions which may already be affecting JJP's pre-order potential/business adversely.

To repeat myself, FWIW:

- All EC WOZLE's must be shipped as fast as humanly possible. Nothing else should take priority over this. The cost of not so doing is excessively high in terms of sales.

- The clear-coated, direct-print cabinet is a very high-visibility, a distinguishing, and a signature JJP feature that sets JJP apart, and as such, must be implemented to all (current and future) JJP LE models, with an option for an available beautiful hi-rez set of JJP vinyl decals for those who'd prefer and can therefore use the resulting small savings.

If necessary, doing the clear coat direct print cabinets internally (JJP) should be given ample consideration.

- THLE is overdue for a price increase by now (if for nothing else, to streamline the JJP's pricing structure) while reassuring customers that JJP will not sacrifice the build and game-play quality of its pins as it streamlines its B.O.M. These two things are not mutually exclusive and should be clearly explained to JJP customers.

- Following the customary and proven JJP practice, the third JJP LE pin should also/again be offered at an initial lower price to reward the early pre-orders.

JJP must also find out a way of multi-tasking competently, that is, by being able to develop, build, sell, and deliver more than one pin/model at a time (might already be getting there) while never forgetting what JJP's market niche is, the very high-end. After all, if one wanted a low-end pin, why would one buy it from the second best?

ps

I am a WOZ and Hobbit customer, I have high hopes for and expectations from JJP, and am looking towards the announcement of its third pin already

#239 5 years ago

^The prices are already too high for most and you are suggesting they raise it some more?

Most people would rather have two Stern Pros for around $9000 than one LE for about the same price. I personally feel that between $6000 and $6900 is the sweet spot for a full featured game in the present economy.

#240 5 years ago

THLE has already had a price increase from $7,500 to $8,000. $8,000 is the final price for the LE, which should be close to selling out in the next month or so.

The question is, what will be the starting price for the standard edition of the Hobbit, and will it adopt the Red WOZ 75 pricing scheme of $2,500 down, and balance due 30 days before shipping? That will go a long way towards selling Hobbit Pins. I hope that is the new norm.

#241 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

^The prices are already too high for most and you are suggesting they raise it some more?
Most people would rather have two Stern Pros for around $9000 than one LE for about the same price. I personally feel that between $6000 and $6900 is the sweet spot for a full featured game in the present economy.

that's a different market, and I'd rather buy 3-4 decent W/B DMD's instead of 2 stern pros for the same sum in that case

#242 5 years ago

Good suggestion, 1k on top of the price...

LMAO!!

#243 5 years ago
Quoted from pins4fun:

JJP's primary focus right now seems to be getting the rest the EC WOZLE's to its customers as soon as possible, while also working on the upcoming pins/models at the same time, including THLE. I also like the fact that JJP is dedicating substantial effort/resources to product support, customer service, game development (software and engineering) and QC aspects of its business. JJP seems to have a superior support and service philosophy and staff and always backs it up with solid action. And many, many other good things...
Meanwhile, a cursory review of JJP's website reveals that one can still order a Hobbit LE at $8000 while a red 75th Anniversary WOZ will cost you cost $9000. From a JJP customer's perspective, I find this, well, a bit contradicting and confusing. The first rhetorical question that inevitably pops into one's mind here is if the red 75th WOZ is a better (and more expensive) pin than THLE? The answer is of course not, and that they're very comparable pins and their prices should reflect this fact accordingly.
If I were Jack (after all the EC WOZLE's are out of the shop), I'd quickly announce a price increase to The Hobbit LE, from, let's say, $8000 to $9000, and simultaneously re-confirm that all THLE's are and will be clear-coat direct print cabinets except with a possibility for vinyl cabinet decals for a discount of a certain amount (tbd by Jack and NOT grandfathered to the existing THLE pre-orders). After all, a price increase is a fact of life and happens all the time, and it seldom, if ever, hurts the business, if done intelligently and judiciously.
Such an announcement (above) might cost the company some initial money but would go a long ways towards renewing the current THLE customer base's excitement and eliminate some existing uncertainties/questions which may already be affecting JJP's pre-order potential/business adversely.
To repeat myself, FWIW:
- All EC WOZLE's must be shipped as fast as humanly possible. Nothing else should take priority over this. The cost of not so doing is excessively high in terms of sales.
- The clear-coated, direct-print cabinet is a very high-visibility, a distinguishing, and a signature JJP feature that sets JJP apart, and as such, must be implemented to all (current and future) JJP LE models, with an option for an available beautiful hi-rez set of JJP vinyl decals for those who'd prefer and can therefore use the resulting small savings.
If necessary, doing the clear coat direct print cabinets internally (JJP) should be given ample consideration.
- THLE is overdue for a price increase by now (if for nothing else, to streamline the JJP's pricing structure) while reassuring customers that JJP will not sacrifice the build and game-play quality of its pins as it streamlines its B.O.M. These two things are not mutually exclusive and should be clearly explained to JJP customers.
- Following the customary and proven JJP practice, the third JJP LE pin should also/again be offered at an initial lower price to reward the early pre-orders.
JJP must also find out a way of multi-tasking competently, that is, by being able to develop, build, sell, and deliver more than one pin/model at a time (might already be getting there) while never forgetting what JJP's market niche is, the very high-end. After all, if one wanted a low-end pin, why would one buy it from the second best?
ps
I am a WOZ and Hobbit customer, I have high hopes for and expectations from JJP, and am looking towards the announcement of its third pin already

-deleted-

Post edited by robin : No politics on Pinside please!

#244 5 years ago

I think you will see both game meet in the middle at $8,500......than woz standard and hobbit standard at $7,600

Of course this is just a guess.

#245 5 years ago

I really don't think they can sell as many Hobbitt as they did WOZ and with the prices at 8K and up, it may be tough to churn out enough of pins to keep this dream going. Pinball is not a business that can be monopolized, these machines are not widely collected and played as it may seem and there are startups coming into this field left and right. I guess we'll see what happens with the prices soon enough.

#246 5 years ago

Game looks great. I am planning to pick one up. 1st JJP.

#247 5 years ago
Quoted from tmort:

Game looks great. I am planning to pick one up. 1st JJP.

So agree and looking towards getting mine. The next update when it comes will hopefully consist of more of the pf and its features being revealed. In for the ride and enjoying it so far.

#248 5 years ago
Quoted from wolowizard:

hey , lets talk about guantlet ??? isn't this a hobbit thread , some people have the attention span of a fruitfly...lol

No, it's just that gauntlet is more exciting to talk about , because it's here, and not a figment imaginary machine that we won't see for 3 years.

#249 5 years ago

It's bad enough to buy a game without having played it, and only seen pictures. Now people are buying games before they even see what they look like. I hope it's effing bad ass, just tromps all over WOZ and makes everyone sit up and say DAAMMMMNN. But maybe it won't be your thing. Who the hell knows?

Stupid pre-order model, it's terrible for the hobby. I hope Jack taking financial backing will end that practice.

#250 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

No, it's just that gauntlet is more exciting to talk about , because it's here, and not a figment imaginary machine that we won't see for 3 years.

This thread is about The Hobbit...Also no one will be waiting 3 more years for the game. I bet the first games start shipping by the end of the year with a majority arriving the first half of next year.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Forever
Machine - For Sale
Ridgeland, WI
There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 201.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside