47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg
There are 10,044 posts in this topic. You are on page 49 of 201.
#2401 9 years ago
Quoted from alichino:

It's likely going to be a code thing. There's a timing mechanism that you have_ to hit a specific shot from the upper flipper instead of shooting it from the lower ones. Like the skill shots / melting the witch in WoZ.

That makes sense.

Thanks.

#2402 9 years ago
Quoted from Hogbog:

When we had it on there, it blocked the back two pretty heavily from a player's perspective. If you guys want to add it on, I'm sure BackAlley will be selling them once the game comes out, but it blocks too much of the action to go out that way in production.

Gotcha.

#2403 9 years ago

This is obviously setting up to be a long-playing game with so many modes and such. Obviously, closing the right outlane escape will shorten time (at Expo, I was able to bump it into the shooter lane about 6 times in a row on the same ball), but I still have to wonder if we could get a pause game function a'la TZ home rom.

#2404 9 years ago

I need some time to digest it all, but I just wanted to say this up front:

New playfield art is SO much better. JP did a kickass job fixing the empty, moody, dark and boring art. This is what it needed. Color and vibrancy and scale and impact.

Well done. And credit due to Jack and team for listening to feedback and responding, the product is better for it.

#2405 9 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Agree, the gold one is just too much gold IMO! I am correct in stating that one could pick the SE but still get the red Smaug?

I think I read that somewhere. Or you can at least get a red Smaug and swap it out. If I still had my preorder, that's what I was going to do.

I agree with you - too much gold.

#2406 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

More

hobbit1.jpg 92 KB

hobbit2.jpg 112 KB

hobbit3.jpg 102 KB

hobbit4.jpg 108 KB

Alex, does the gold Smaug color change much due to the light behind it?

#2407 9 years ago

wow that new PF look incredible.
nice going JJP.

not sure about the gold smaug, guess i have to see gameplay.

#2408 9 years ago

I am in for a Smaug SE, but the golden Smaug is ugly, the red one looks way better.

But everything else here looks awesome. Great work JJP Team!!!!!
After seeing the new pictures, the look of this pin just screams: Play me!!!

#2409 9 years ago

The new playfield art is definetely a success!

#2410 9 years ago

HUGE improvement. Very impressive!

Love the book LCD, I figured that was coming but the ARTWORK is now AWESOME, times 1000 better, that was the worst part of the pin before, no color, and made me depressed.

Even though I dropped out, I never doubted Jack and JJP would make it work.

It just came down to a numbers game and I really like TBL

#2411 9 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

I think I read that somewhere. Or you can at least get a red Smaug and swap it out. If I still had my preorder, that's what I was going to do.
I agree with you - too much gold.

It is confirmed that SE owners can get a red Smaug.

However, I do not know before what date you have to confirm that.

#2412 9 years ago

And btw, that's how you do a freaking APRON!

Great job guys.

#2413 9 years ago

Love the new playfield and all of the improvements. With Smaug being so prominent on the new playfield, I'm wondering if I need the Smaug Edition artwork on the sides too. Thanks JJP for all of the choices but I'm not sure what direction to go.

#2414 9 years ago
Quoted from DylanFan71:

Love the new playfield and all of the improvements. With Smaug being so prominent on the new playfield, I'm wondering if I need the Smaug Edition artwork on the sides too. Thanks JJP for all of the choices but I'm not sure what direction to go.

For me, it is hard to argue with a big freakin' dragon on the side. I will arrange my pins so that this pin will be on the end and the artwork visible.

#2415 9 years ago

Wow. What an improvement! VUK wireforms look so much better. Love the new playfield.

#2416 9 years ago
Quoted from Dalbok:

I wonder if they are still planning on having the interactive apron. Originally it was going to be a map to track progress, correct? I wonder if that's been changed.

The bottom arch as currently displayed is the final one.

--Ted

#2417 9 years ago

JJP deserves a huge pat on the back. Only a month after EXPO and a TON of criticism and feedback they address the lions-share of the concern with revisions and updates. Bravo!

The new playfield looks magnificent, the colors and contrast are much more dynamic and enjoyable. The art package overall has taken a giant leap forward. The wireform VUKS... yes... thank you!

Its so gratifying to see JJP take the heat and come out swinging with a revised version based on the desires of their customers... and in record time. Keep it up!!!

#2418 9 years ago

I dunno what's going on here. Looks thrown together since expo, not surprised as it hasn't been that long. You can kinda tell they don't know where to put shit, has a home brew look to it. I'm guessing they'll get it figured out at some point as why else would you keep not showing the "production model".

PF art is definitely best part about this update.

#2419 9 years ago

Huge improvement over the old design! The playfield art is so much more vibrant and colorful than before. Kudos to JJP for listening to the customers and making these changes so quickly! Also like the new Smaug a lot better as well. Much better than staring at a grey rock I think they'd be wise just to make Smaug in Red and ditch the gold model though. The gold is just too much... Also like the look of the apron and glad they incorporated an LCD for the book.-I just hope it integrates into gameplay vs. just being eye candy like the crystal ball. Something similar to the TV in TSPP would be ideal.

#2420 9 years ago

I agree that the playfield art is definitely best part about this update, so apparently no other major changes, the four underground traps has dual function ?, targets and tunnels ?, the smaug interacts with balls ?, I hope more information

#2421 9 years ago

I am very happy about the added flashers. That was number one on my wish list! I still think the layout is good and still it has improved with this update, the changes to the bag end entrance part are great.

#2422 9 years ago

Yeah I like the playfield art, im not a big fan of the lcd covering the pops and Im disappointed there is no body for smaug. Im still on the fence and may be canceling soon. I do think Jack has done a good job of trying to address what everyone wanted but Im not sure its gonna be enough. If I stay in Id like to know if I go with the gold smaug could I also order a red one to change out if I get tired of the gold?

#2423 9 years ago
Quoted from oscarspa:

I agree that the playfield art is definitely best part about this update, so apparently no other major changes, the four underground traps has dual function ?, targets and tunnels ?, the smaug interacts with balls ?, I hope more information

The ball flow has changed with the pops and an open drop out. Thats a core design change.

#2424 9 years ago

Wow a lot of changes made in a short period of time.
Glad i kept my order and switched to TH SE.. agree, though that reg Smaug head might be better look over all (is that pictured above? or was that just the lighting making his head look red?)
At first was shocked to see all the pf art changes but the improved contrast and brighter colors/larger Smaug are better..
Now JJP should just stop paying attention to further criticism and just work on getting the game out… soon!

#2425 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

The ball flow has changed with the pops and an open drop out. Thats a core design change.

Alex, does the following update of the playfield impact the way Beowulf is used:

- Closed entrance to shooter lane from outlane

#2426 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

Alex, does the following update of the playfield impact the way Beowulf is used:
- Closed entrance to shooter lane from outlane

I believe they are exclusive but i'm not sure. I haven't played the layout yet.

#2427 9 years ago

I really would like to know if anybody would want the golden smaug over the red one? Perhaps nobody would care if JJP just would ditch this.

#2428 9 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

I realy would like to know if anybody would want the golden smaug over the red one? Perhaps nobody would care if JJP just would ditch this.

Yeah, I'm thinking that's the right idea.

#2429 9 years ago

Hey Alex,

I love the changes so far. Just curious, when Jack said new shots, was he referring to the bag end change, or is their something different with the Smaug area planned as well?

#2430 9 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

Hey Alex,
I love the changes so far. Just curious, when Jack said new shots, was he referring to the bag end change, or is their something different with the Smaug area planned as well?

Can't say I also haven't played it so I don't know. I'm a code jockey

#2431 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

So there is a new way for the ball to fall in or out of the pops to the main playfield? Very nice change.

#2432 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Can't say I also haven't played it so I don't know. I'm a code jockey

10-4, thanks!

#2433 9 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

Hey Alex,

The shot through into the pops is what he's referring too instead of stand up targets blocking them

#2434 9 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

I thought the ramp diverter was Smaug's tail?

An early idea for the diverter was to dress it up as the tail. We weren't happy with any of the experiments, so the ramp diverter is now a gate (aka portcullis).

#2435 9 years ago

So, first impression after processing the new PF art.

Sorry to say but the old art now looks like......you know
Man, not only do the colors pop out, is the color scheme much much better, but also everything comes out more detailed. And the new apron art, love it!

Also like the open space between the pops and bag end. Gives room for new shots and rules.

Very very well done JJP team.

#2436 9 years ago

What is a 10 point target? Something like rbion?

#2437 9 years ago

Any videos coming.

#2438 9 years ago

Looks Great.

#2439 9 years ago

New PF artwork looks 100x better.

#2440 9 years ago

It looks like there is another hole to the right of the VUK at Smaug. Any idea what this is for?

Could just be a place to run wires underneath I guess. It would be cool if this is where the missing scale in Smaug's armor was and this was the shot you had to make from the right flipper. Of course, that would require the drops revealed the hole instead of having a standup behind them. In the pics it looks like the stand ups are still there.

image.jpgimage.jpg
#2441 9 years ago

Anyone notice how bright the drop targets are now with decals and gold targets over the old black beforeimage-971.jpgimage-971.jpgimage-241.jpgimage-241.jpg

#2442 9 years ago

I don't think it will be a shot. In a few of those pics, you can see the hole and the gold pile is covering it up. I think it's just needed for the Smaug set up on the play field.

#2443 9 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

It looks like there is another hole to the right of the VUK at Smaug. Any idea what this is for?
Could just be a place to run wires underneath I guess. It would be cool if this is where the missing scale in Smaug's armor was and this was the shot you had to make from the right flipper. Of course, that would require the drops revealed the hole instead of having a standup behind them. In the pics it looks like the stand ups are still there.

image.jpg 99 KB

I believe that is for the subway. The ball drops down into that hole after coming off of the divertor to the left of Smaugs head.

#2444 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Out of curiosity with Mr. Balcer gone, who is leading the design and making these game changes? Maybe it's common knowledge and I'm out of the loop...

I think opening up the pops is great on any game. I don't care as much for one way in and one way out.

#2445 9 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Any videos coming.

#2446 9 years ago

Very nice!
Fantastic improvement when compared to the original version (the side by side comparison is cruel for the old one).
Great reaction from JJP.

#2447 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballer0415:

I don't think it will be a shot. In a few of those pics, you can see the hole and the gold pile is covering it up. I think it's just needed for the Smaug set up on the play field.

The hole that is covered by the gold pile is where the ball falls into once the magnet drops it off the ramp. The other hole more to the left is behind the "W" drop down target and feeds into the VUK.

#2449 9 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Out of curiosity with Mr. Balcer gone, who is leading the design and making these game changes? Maybe it's common knowledge and I'm out of the loop...
I think opening up the pops is great on any game. I don't care as much for one way in and one way out.

It's been a group effort.

#2450 9 years ago
Quoted from BackAlleyMatt:

The hole that is covered by the gold pile is where the ball falls into once the magnet drops it off the ramp. The other hole more to the left is behind the "W" drop down target and feeds into the VUK.

Cool, is this where Smaug steals your ball? Sorry if I am out of loop on this, but does the subway just lead to the ball trough?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 25.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 10,044 posts in this topic. You are on page 49 of 201.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-update-1/page/49 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.