47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg
There are 10,044 posts in this topic. You are on page 48 of 201.
#2351 9 years ago

LCD

IMG_9226.JPGIMG_9226.JPG
#2352 9 years ago

Morehobbit1.jpghobbit1.jpghobbit2.jpghobbit2.jpghobbit3.jpghobbit3.jpghobbit4.jpghobbit4.jpg

#2353 9 years ago

One more. Sorry, should have put them all together.

IMG_9200.JPGIMG_9200.JPG
#2354 9 years ago

For a month after expo, this is a lot of change. Very impressive.

Does Smaug still work the same?

#2355 9 years ago

Well that looks a hell of a lot better!

#2356 9 years ago

Wasn't expecting the LCD to be tucked up in the corner like that. Interdesting.

#2357 9 years ago

I just keep hearing the Austin powers voice say "I love Gold!" Lol

#2358 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Wasn't expecting the LCD to be tucked up in the corner like that. Interdesting.

Almost always in the field of view.

#2359 9 years ago

Yes wire forms are back!!!!

#2360 9 years ago

I like what I'm seeing.

Is the 'mountain' behind Smaug gone? Does he still turn and talk?

I'm in for the Smaug edition but think I may like the red Smaug with the newer gold pile from these few photos...gives better contrast at least from this limited view.

I think the playfield looks much better. Also like the placement of the book LCD and being able to see the barrel pops.

That's it for my first impression on a brief view whilst at work.

I'm very excited for my pin. I jumped in a year ago and am excited about the possibilities.

#2361 9 years ago

Lots of great changes in such a short time. Way to go Jack. Playfield art and wire forms look awesome. Really happy I didn't pull out before getting to look at the actual production pin. Hopefully will be soon?????

Quoted from JoeJet:

Where do you get a good bagel in Ft. Lauderdale? I will be down there next month..

Lots of "Jewish" delis in and around Aventura. I live out west. Mayor's Café has great "New York" bagels (but it's a hole in the wall).

photo.jpgphoto.jpg

#2362 9 years ago

JJP fought back hard apparantly! and they upped their game in value by atleast 1 grand in visual value well done jack for what i see on the pictures! and the 2nd LCD is lovely eye candy..

#2363 9 years ago

IMG_9236.JPGIMG_9236.JPG
#2364 9 years ago

Way to listen JJP!

#2365 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Updated playfield artwork.

image.jpg 131 KB

Didn't really need a giant dragon in my face since he's already a 3d model in the back of the PF and if you get the Smaug edition, two giant pictures on the side of the cabinet... but whatever.

The other changes all look great and like they are going in the right direction.

#2366 9 years ago

Shit, Im not a big Hobbit fan, but after seeing these pics, I want one lol.

#2367 9 years ago

I liked the old art but the new art blows it away. Nicely done. PF LCD placement needs work IMO. Looks shoehorned in.

Hobbit PF-update.pngHobbit PF-update.png
#2368 9 years ago

Another question: Any specific shots seen for the right upper flipper?

Also...already the sides are begging for either mirror blades or some sort of picture which I think would probably be even better than the mirrors.

#2369 9 years ago

i would love to see a video on this can anyone up there at IAAPA arrange that for us

#2370 9 years ago
Quoted from jazc4:

I like red Smaug better.

IMG_9213-1.JPG 271 KB

Agree, the gold one is just too much gold IMO! I am correct in stating that one could pick the SE but still get the red Smaug?

#2371 9 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

Didn't really need a giant dragon in my face since he's already a 3d model in the back of the PF and if you get the Smaug edition, two giant pictures on the side of the cabinet... but whatever.
The other changes all look great and like they are going in the right direction.

Respectfully disagree. You can't see the cabinet artwork when you play and that image is so much better than the original to look at when you are playing.

#2372 9 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

I liked the old art but the new art blows it away. Nicely done. PF LCD placement needs work IMO. Looks shoehorned in.

Hobbit PF-update.png 2.9 MB

The housing isn't final. It will look more integrated in production models.

#2373 9 years ago

Lots of cool changes. It's great to see that JJP changed a lot of things based on the feedback after expo.

I cancelled my order after expo and at times regretted it. After seeing the updated game it's still not for me. Smaug needed to interact with the ball for me to drop $7500 on a pin. Also, drop targets are fun but there's too many in TH in my opinion and the game would have benefited from other unique toys / shots where the lower drops are.

I wish JJP nothing but the best with this game and will be patiently waiting for Pats game.

#2374 9 years ago

I think the warmer tones are better though, I liked the original PF as well.

#2375 9 years ago

WOW! You gotta love it when a company actually listens to their customers, makes improvements and gives them what they want. Kudos and thumbs up to JJP!

#2376 9 years ago

the gold in front of smaug should be gold.. but smaug himself shouldnt be gold.. but red and red only imo.. period!

#2377 9 years ago

This looks fantastic. I feel a lot better.

#2378 9 years ago

More to come visually. Games at the show have old art as time was a constraint

#2379 9 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

I think the warmer tones are better though, I liked the original PF as well.

I already emailed Jack asking if there is anyway I can get the prototype artwork, although upon close inspection it looks like there are subtle differences in the inserts and one of the roll overs by the pop bumpers so probably a no go.

The new art is definitely more "WOZlike" in that its much more colorful and vibrant, which I like, I just don't like the redundant giant dragon taking up the whole center playfield. But other people didn't like the small dragon, so I guess I am the minority.

#2380 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Have any of u guys ever been to iappa?
It's like arcade heaven! The best of the best new stuff, smoke show models walking around in booths, everything is amazing at this show.

Like E3 for arcade/pinball? Because at E3...it got CRAZY.

#2381 9 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

I already emailed Jack asking if there is anyway I can get the prototype artwork, although upon close inspection it looks like there are subtle differences in the inserts and one of the roll overs by the pop bumpers so probably a no go.

And also no artwork at the bumpers exit so you likely wouldn't want it. Just whitewood at the exit on the old art.

#2382 9 years ago

I thought the ramp diverter was Smaug's tail?

Regardless, this still looks better than the Expo showing. I have no idea why JJP set themselves up for the backlash from Expo but this a great step closer to fixing all that.

#2383 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

The housing isn't final. It will look more integrated in production models.

I figured as much, Looking forward to the changes being fully integrated. The mock-up has the old pf art, new art will really make it pop. Smaug is not finished, no diverter integration with the tail yet. The brighter colors and the elimination of the "rock" will improve the walk-up appeal tremendously. I see my suggestion of light up eyes was heeded, cool. It's safe to assume Smaug will operate as originally designed but it is much improved cosmetically. JJP gets high grades for listening, the wireforms are much better. Unsure what the blocks around Smaug are but again I'm sure it will make sense once the trim is completed.

#2384 9 years ago

The giant diverter on left covered by stone wall is good.

#2385 9 years ago

Now that the book has moved to the back, shouldn't that third pop bumper be a barrel as well now? Would give the bumpers a more uniform appearance.

#2386 9 years ago

also the Apron artwork looks way better now.. at the prototype at expo and dpo it was just a dull map.. and now it has the characters on it and the color contrast of it better too.. big improvement!

#2387 9 years ago

Is the new playfield art for the both models, or just the Smaug edition?

#2388 9 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

I thought the ramp diverter was Smaug's tail?
Regardless, this still looks better than the Expo showing. I have no idea why JJP set themselves up for the backlash from Expo but this a great step closer to fixing all that.

Lots of changes, all for the better I feel

#2389 9 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Now that the book has moved to the back, shouldn't that third pop bumper be a barrel as well now? Would give the bumpers a more uniform appearance.

It's likely just wasn't ready by show time. The print out states what has yet to be done

#2390 9 years ago
Quoted from juanton:

Is the new playfield art for the both models, or just the Smaug edition?

both

#2391 9 years ago

Or just move the one covered up by the book to the front pop instead? I think the original idea was to have the book lower, in front of the pops, so they only barreled the back two thinkging those would be the visible ones. But with the LCD further back, seems like you could just move the furthest barrel forward.

#2392 9 years ago

ok officially excited again. If this is what they could do in a month then one more should get it there!

#2393 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Or just move the one covered up by the book to the front pop instead? I think the original idea was to have the book lower, in front of the pops, so they only barreled the back two thinkging those would be the visible ones. But with the LCD further back, seems like you could just move the furthest barrel forward.

True. I still like the idea of all three being barrels from an aesthetics point of view.

If JJP doesn't do all three, I'm sure that would be a popular mod.

#2394 9 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Another question: Any specific shots seen for the right upper flipper?

It's likely going to be a code thing. There's a timing mechanism that you have_ to hit a specific shot from the upper flipper instead of shooting it from the lower ones. Like the skill shots / melting the witch in WoZ.

#2395 9 years ago

I wonder if they are still planning on having the interactive apron. Originally it was going to be a map to track progress, correct? I wonder if that's been changed.

Quoted from DutchTommy:

also the Apron artwork looks way better now.. at the prototype at expo and dpo it was just a dull map.. and now it has the characters on it and the color contrast of it better too.. big improvement!

#2396 9 years ago

Incredible improvement on the playfield artwork - moves it into the same class as WOZ; nicely done JJP!

#2397 9 years ago
Quoted from Dalbok:

I wonder if they are still planning on having the interactive apron. Originally it was going to be a map to track progress, correct? I wonder if that's been changed.

That's what I was hoping for too.

#2398 9 years ago

I like a lot of the changes I see, awesome job guys. Will the LCD have flipping pages animations? That would be pretty sweet if it did.

#2399 9 years ago

I am really excited with almost all the changes so far.

I think the LCD (i'm sure that was planned all along) will really be intrigal to many of the game modes. Pages will turn to reveal the next chapter of the story (the next mode) and give hints on what the objective is. This could go a long way to really make the pin feel like you are going on an epic journey.

Also like the new play field colors. The art really pops and gives the different areas of the play field their own distictive feel.

I am very optimistic about the final product now.

#2400 9 years ago

True. I still like the idea of all three being barrels from an aesthetics point of view.

If JJP doesn't do all three, I'm sure that would be a popular mod.

When we had it on there, it blocked the back two pretty heavily from a player's perspective. If you guys want to add it on, I'm sure BackAlley will be selling them once the game comes out, but it blocks too much of the action to go out that way in production.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 25.50
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 10,044 posts in this topic. You are on page 48 of 201.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-update-1/page/48 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.