47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

There are 10,044 posts in this topic. You are on page 45 of 201.
#2202 9 years ago

I really didn't expect to read 30+ game modes!

I wonder if the jaw moves on the Smaug toy when talking ?

#2203 9 years ago

Whole new level boys...new level

#2204 9 years ago

I'm shocked! Actually no I'm not. Jack is raising the bar like I said he would!

#2205 9 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

In 20 minuts? (Getting late here, home of tbl, lol)

Almost time....

#2206 9 years ago

Ok gold le edition . So is this the le people have preordered or is this an upgrade to the le preorders? I also saw player controlled diverters pretty sweet and 30 modes ! I'm very happy my buddy is getting one of these. I hope Jack brings one to IAPAA.

#2207 9 years ago

Is that game poster real?

If so, I like the fact that the standard appears to play exactly the same as the LE and SE editions (minus some of the bling).

Big question: price of the standard?

#2209 9 years ago

What is low end standard cost, vs decked out gold smaug edition?

#2210 9 years ago
Quoted from oropuro:

What is low end standard cost, vs decked out gold smaug edition?

I believe its standard.....8k....LE....$8500.....SE....$9k

2 weeks later
#2212 9 years ago

Did anyone else see the pin too?!?

#2213 9 years ago

Watching that video makes me think how hard it had to be for JJP to design this game from the start, without having any knowledge or access to the 3rd film assets. That trailer has an action/war-like tone and it looks awesome. I think TH will be solid on it's initial release, but won't truly hit its stride until the 3rd film is incorporated into the game. Then TH is going to give WOZ & LOTR a serious challenge for the deepest code & the grandest scale. If it end ups feeling like the tone of that trailer, then it going to be awesome (for me at least)

#2214 9 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

without having any knowledge or access to the 3rd film assets.

Bet they do but just cant show them or discuss.

#2215 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Let's say for the sake of argument that JJP was shown an early (but probably mostly edited) version of the 3rd film 6 months ago, and that they started to incorporate art and sound assets from the 3rd film into a prototype late summer.

I don't see how JJP could pull this off without having multiple physical prototypes, unless they were never planning on doing any demos and we can see that wasn't in the cards because they have done two demos so far with another coming later this month.

That would mean that the prototype that people are seeing now is probably a very old prototype, at least one major revision behind.

#2216 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

I remember them saying specifically at their Expo presentation that they had zero access to the 3rd film. They see it at the same time we see it at the theaters. Which is the same thing I heard Keith say on PapaTV, that the 3rd film would only be incorporated into the game via code, modes & movie clips. Just look at the playfield & cabinet art, it's all from the 1st two films. The first movie was slow, the second became more adventure & questlike, and the third looks like all out war. That's a huge range of tone to design & incorporate into a single pin. And it's for for a license that is still pending release at theaters.

#2217 9 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

that the 3rd film would only be incorporated into the game via code, modes & movie clips. Just look at the playfield & cabinet art, it's all from the 1st two films

While I agree with this for the most part, the Smaug that is used on the cab of the SE cab is from the third movie. The Smaug art was used in the SDCC movie poster.

#2218 9 years ago

No talk about Jack's story at DPO last weekend? Some great remarks about Pinsiders! Hahaha.

listen to it at Pinballnews.com:

http://www.pinballnews.com/shows/dpo2014/ (halfway down the page there's an audio-link)

The Hobbit will be having some significant changes to the playfield before it goes into production, including new artwork, different models, removal of some elements, the addition of some major new playfield items, and even some new shots.

He stressed how the The Hobbit machine out on the show floor is a prototype machine, with all the changes we described above still to come. He said they have taken on board many of the suggestions received, and many had already been addressed even before the prototype was first shown at Pinball Expo two weeks earlier.

#2219 9 years ago
Quoted from goalzzz:

No talk about Jack's story at DPO last weekend? Some great remarks about Pinsiders! Hahaha.
listen to it at Pinballnews.com:
http://www.pinballnews.com/shows/dpo2014/ (halfway down the page there's an audio-link)

That's awesome if true. The million dollar question is will it be shown with all these new features at IAAPA?

#2220 9 years ago

http://www.pinballnews.com/shows/dpo2014/jerseyjack.mp3

"I know you beat the crap out of me at Robin's pinside... and that's fine... I'm a Brooklyn street operator, I can take it!"

"You think a few keyboard guys hiding behind the keyboard are going to intimidate me?"

(at about 24.55 min in the file)

#2221 9 years ago

Hoakey,
All the crap they make when a movie is released takes time. Companies have the info but have NDas to keep it under wraps. The Merch does not show up on opening day by magic.

#2222 9 years ago

"The Hobbit will be having some significant changes to the playfield before it goes into production, including new artwork, different models, removal of some elements, the addition of some major new playfield items, and even some new shots."

This text is from Pinball News. Hmm... "and even some new shots." Sounds like the differences between the prototype to the production model is going to be significant.

#2223 9 years ago
Quoted from HENSBROOKER:

Did anyone else see the pin too?!?

You are funny

#2224 9 years ago
Quoted from kidvid:

Let's say for the sake of argument that JJP was shown an early (but probably mostly edited) version of the 3rd film 6 months ago, and that they started to incorporate art and sound assets from the 3rd film into a prototype late summer.
I don't see how JJP could pull this off without having multiple physical prototypes, unless they were never planning on doing any demos and we can see that wasn't in the cards because they have done two demos so far with another coming later this month.
That would mean that the prototype that people are seeing now is probably a very old prototype, at least one major revision behind.

Jean-Paul de Win stated during his presentation on the DPO 2014 that they do not have access to any of assets of the third movie. However, he did mention they received some kind of script so they know how the story goes.

Indeed the cabinet art seems to be an exception.

#2225 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

Jean-Paul de Win stated during his presentation on the DPO 2014 that they do not have access to any of assets of the third movie. However, he did mention they received some kind of script so they know how the story goes.
Indeed the cabinet art seems to be an exception.

That seems like a very strange way to structure the contract with the movie studio - create a pin based on 3 movies but don't expect any of the art assets from the 3rd movie. If I had to guess, I'd say that maybe the way the movie studio designed it was that they were under no obligation to provide the assets. I'm guessing from the cabinet art that something might have voluntarily changed though.

#2226 9 years ago
Quoted from kidvid:

That seems like a very strange way to structure the contract with the movie studio - create a pin based on 3 movies but don't expect any of the art assets from the 3rd movie. If I had to guess, I'd say that maybe the way the movie studio designed it was that they were under no obligation to provide the assets. I'm guessing from the cabinet art that something might have voluntarily changed though.

Agreed, but that is what he said. He also showed things (like fonts) that are accessible through a portal of WB. All symbols, fonts etc. must come from that portal no custom things allowed. I believe the whole presentation is in audio only available on Pinballnews.com

#2227 9 years ago

Still a proto type and production starts next month? Very wierd

#2228 9 years ago

JP's rejected animations look sick, this really does prove how messed up the studio is in getting things by them. So they don't like the sweet animations but they like the playfield art... and the Smaug toy.O..K..

#2229 9 years ago

Is the studio giving JJP the freedom to create new lines (i.e. Smaug taunting you like the witch in WOZ)? If JJP is limited to movie lines, then I would guess the repetition is going to be obvious at some point while playing. While denigrated by some, I think the custom lines for the characters in WOZ make that pin so much better, and there are so many different lines that any repetition is mitigated to a large degree. I know that the cost of hiring the actors seems prohibitive (I am not opening that "can of worms"), but wonder if the studio will even allow JJP to record new material by voice impressionists.

If it isn't obvious, my biggest concern with this pin is the limits that the studio is placing on JJP, not what JJP is capable of creating or producing.

#2230 9 years ago

Is it possible that the production model (with the new art, etc.) was being worked on before the prototype was even revealed? Everyone assumes Jack is making these changes due to the response from the unveiling. Maybe the proposed changes were already being made in the prototype 2.0 version. (for lack of a better name)

I'm not suggesting the prototype was a ruse, but maybe Jack has kept his cards closer to the vest than we realize. At least I hope that is the case.

#2231 9 years ago
Quoted from BillE:

JP's rejected animations look sick, this really does prove how messed up the studio is in getting things by them. So they don't like the sweet animations but they like the playfield art... and the Smaug toy.O..K..

Yeah I thought the custom video clips with pinballs integrated into the footage looked great! But I was really surprised that it went all the way to Peter Jackson & he ended up rejecting them. I didn't think such high up people would be involved in the process, I pictured a bunch of uninformed suits making these decisions. Jackson probably just didn't want an outside company tinkering with his "vision". Interesting to see though, here it is for those of you who missed, it's up on YouTube....

#2232 9 years ago

Thanks for posting, I enjoyed watching it

#2233 9 years ago

Excellent video. After watching, two things come to mind:

1. Peter Jackson may be turning into George Lucas, rejecting good ideas for his own which aren't always the best or most popular.

2. The Hobbit is going to be a really fun pin to play.

#2234 9 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Interesting to see though, here it is for those of you who missed, it's up on YouTube....

Thanks for posting that.

Such a shame that it has to be so literal. JP is obviously working with what he can and doing the best job he can, given the limitations, but it produces such a more boring end result. I've seen the movie. I own the first two Blu-Rays, I can watch them whenever I want. The studio was stupid to limit the creativity. Blending pinballs into the scenes was great. Fine, not the ring, it's "sacred", fair enough, but the first shot of the pinball knocking down goblins was hilarious.

#2235 9 years ago

I have a feeling that this game is going to be great, after the lackluster showing at expo and all the crap just a gut feeling that this will be special once finished. Can't wait to get mine.

#2236 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Hoakey,
All the crap they make when a movie is released takes time. Companies have the info but have NDas to keep it under wraps. The Merch does not show up on opening day by magic.

I hear what you're saying. I get that they have to make all the merchandising like Legos & happy meal toys way in advance, so that near the films release, all that merch can hit the stores. But JJP is dealing with something completely different.

The studio has been editing the 3rd movie over the last year (so it's been a work in process), and at the same time JJP is trying to design the pin. It has to be incredibly frustrating from a design standpoint. The studio is NOT going to hand over a DVD copy of the movie to JJP before it hits theaters, especially with the issues of movie piracy these days. So I tend to believe them when they say that they haven't seen the 3rd movie or know what the assets are or how they will integrate them. This pin won't hit it's peak until they have incorporated everything into the code.

#2237 9 years ago

After seeing what the studio rejected in the animation department, I can now realize the pita JJP must have had when developing this pin alltogether...
Seems like every great idea they had for mending the Hobbit theme with a pinball game got turned down by some whacky IP defendor in the name of the studio.

#2238 9 years ago

Great video. Thanks for sharing that. I think they way they did the hard cut scenes (like for the Smaug multiball start) look very fluid. Yeah, the pinball goblin bowling was very cool and would have been neat to see but it looks like they are doing their best with what they have to work with. At least I hope so.

#2239 9 years ago

Im hoping they got a lot of custom approved sequences so it isnt so repetitious. Hopefully for every one that got rejected they have 4 more that were approved.

#2240 9 years ago

Just looking at what was approved, I am very encouraged with the way this game will integrate the film into gameplay. With all the footage at their disposal, I think The Hobbit will far outpace WOZ when it comes to use of the screen. Very promising!

#2241 9 years ago

Maybe when pin is released after a few months we home collectors could get a sly code with the non approved sequences

#2242 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead1982:

Maybe when pin is released after a few months we home collectors could get a sly code with the non approved sequences

Not going to happen . Sorry.

#2243 9 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

Just looking at what was approved, I am very encouraged with the way this game will integrate the film into gameplay. With all the footage at their disposal, I think The Hobbit will far outpace WOZ when it comes to use of the screen. Very promising!

Agree. Based on just this video you can see the thought and detail that they are putting into the video and game play coding. Hope the PF holds up its end of the bargain

I think it will ...

#2244 9 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Hope the PF holds up its end of the bargain

I think it will ...

I agree. JJP has got the message and I think we will see several improvements to the playfield, the book area and of course Smaug himself.

#2245 9 years ago

Played WOZ the first time today at the Houston Expo. The layout, the art, and the light show blew me away. It really strengthens my trust in Jack that TH will be amazing.

#2246 9 years ago

I will post pics and some video nest week from Iappa

Pincades
Chicagoland JJP Dist.

JT

#2247 9 years ago
Quoted from Jamaster10:

Pincades
Chicagoland JJP Dist.
JT

Thanks! Can't wait!

--Luke

#2248 9 years ago
Quoted from Jamaster10:

Pincades
Chicagoland JJP Dist.

JT

Sweet! I look forward to seeing what's changed

Thanks!

#2249 9 years ago

Does anyone know the date that the Hobbit will be at IAAPA?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life
Toys/Add-ons
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball
Electronics
Flipper Parts
FlipMods
Flipper parts
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
9,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
There are 10,044 posts in this topic. You are on page 45 of 201.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-update-1/page/45 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.