Topic Stats

• 10,044 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 714 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOB (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
No.gif
IMG_9476_(resized).JPG
47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 41 of 201.
#2001 5 years ago

I have video and I'm not going to share it... Said it twice

#2002 5 years ago

Lol... I can't wait for expo..

#2003 5 years ago

The hobbit is going to be sick people, discuss that. look at the pf layout! also, this is JJ 2nd go around, hopefully this machine will not have board and other issues that WOZ had. better theme than WOZ imo, the pf layout looks much better as well imo (art/photos). I think this machine will be 2 times as fun as WOZ and can't wait to play it.

#2004 5 years ago

Pats game will be great also... By the way, here's a link to pats first game that he made at home it just recently went up for full photo show.

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=6167

#2005 5 years ago
Quoted from OldPinster:

Actually, I think your posts are every bit as annoying and unfortunately just as informational. As a JJP employee don't you have some small updates or information you can actually add in here? Can you not comment on what percentage you think the Hobbit code is at this point? Can you not drop hints about how many modes people can expect? Anything?
If not, stop attacking him and maybe he won't have anything to respond to?

You're making the assumption that I would leak anything. Not going to happen . Lorenzo is correct. Complete game coming very soon .

#2006 5 years ago
Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

The hobbit is going to be sick people, discuss that.

except they better replace that awful plastic axe on the slings with a 3D one.

#2007 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The lesson here is you gotta be careful when you choose your theme. Some licenses are going to handcuff you and restrict your creative freedom. Unfortunately Hobbit was one of those, and we've already gone through what that meant. No point in beating that horse any further.
Luckily JJP was able to work around some of it, but TBL to me is what pinball art should look like. And that's a purely personal thing, but seeing that hand drawn stuff just tickles the right spots for me. And I wish Hobbit could have had it.
So it goes. We haven't even seen Hobbit populated with an attract mode running, I don't think it's entirely fair to even start comparing things.
And as much as I'm super impressed with TBL, the code is a giant mystery. Hobbit has Keefer, and he's about as far from a mystery as you can get, unless you mean "how the hell does he keep creating these incredibly complicated rule sets?"

Well said.

There will be pros and cons to each. TBL looks fantastic so far. I'm sure that there will be some people who cancel their Hobbit orders to get TBL instead.

However, while I love TBL as a movie, I'm still not convinced it's a great theme for pinball. I think Hobbit is the better theme overall. A lot of this will have to do with how well the theme is implemented though.

How much of theme implementation comes down to the code? Quite a bit. And we know Keefer can do a superb job in that regard (this is something that often seems overlooked, as everyone always talks about how deep his rulesets are, but nobody talks about how well he implements the theme) as seen by pins like LOTR, TSPP, and yes even pins like WOF, not to mention WOZ (even though I don't like the theme for a pin).

TBL is still a complete unknown when it comes to the code.

#2008 5 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Why bother leaking something so craz4pin can just shit on it? Finish product is coming... Ill hold on to my videos of the game.

Don't have to show video to let people discuss something interesting about the game. Information on game rules, modes, or whatever would be nice. How does someone crap on that?

And I thought profanity was not allowed on here? Or is it only not allowed when it's someone you don't like?

#2009 5 years ago
Quoted from OldPinster:

Don't have to show video to let people discuss something interesting about the game. Information on game rules, modes, or whatever would be nice. How does someone crap on that?
And I thought profanity was not allowed on here? Or is it only not allowed when it's someone you don't like?

When I spoke with Kieth at Jacks show he said "I am going to show the world what a real mode based game looks like"

We were talking about the Hobbit!

#2010 5 years ago
Quoted from OldPinster:

My apologies for any profanity.

#2011 5 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

When I spoke with Kieth at Jacks show he said "I am going to show the world what a real mode based game looks like"
We were talking about the Hobbit!

That sounds awesome. I prefer Keith's style of rulesets that tell a story, put you on a quest and give you rewards towards a larger goal then others that are simply about points. Keith's rulesets just keep me coming back again and again. There's so much content to work with too with the 3 Hobbit Films that the game could very well be deeper then WOZ, LOTR and TSPP.

I'll admit that I actually considered dropping my Hobbit preorder after seeing TBL reveal yesterday. However, I can't see spending almost $9k on a theme that I can't really relate to. I like TBL movie but it's not one of my favorites. I love the LOTR and Hobbit films though and can see pins based on those themes being much easier to get my wife onboard with (especially with having kids in the house one day) and something that she will enjoy as well.

#2012 5 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

Seriously?? Again with the personal attacks and gangpiling on me? All the personal attacks on me and childish name calling (and camel toe pictures??) ... that's not embarrassing. But me expressing some negative opinions in a respectful way, that's embarrassing "to the community"? The majority of my posts last night were simply correcting Pinchroma who stated that a full WOZ prototype had been produced and shown in just 13 months from first announcement (comparing it to DP's time taken to produce a TBL prototype.) That's just not true.

tths.JPG

#2013 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If you must do licenses, be imaginative, pick ones that will give you freedom to make something incredible. We'll buy it. Find partners who think the right way. Stern did it with Metallica, and it turned into IMHO one of the best games they've ever made.

This is why I buy Jpop, but then there will be naysayers until they see the final results there too.

But it will/is be "incredible".

#2014 5 years ago

With Keith doing the rules, is there any doubt TH will be great, not in my mind.

How about Lawlor and his "unlimited budget" pin? Can't wait! Will it cost more, yes, there is a pin being made for most budgets these days.

#2015 5 years ago

Is this the best thread for discussing the playfield layout, or is this strictly a gush thread.
-mof

#2016 5 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Is this the best thread for discussing the playfield layout, or is this strictly a gush thread.

abondon thread hole.gif

#2017 5 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I absolutely agree on everything you said. I was just stating the license differences and the likely much more freedom given to TBL vs Hobbit. Hand-drawn original artwork? Who WOULD'NT want that? Stay tuned for Lawlor's original theme...that should be what we're asking for creatively.

The hobbit movies are drawn out and boring. Doesn't mean the pin won't be great but Peter Jackson can't seem to make a great movie.

#2018 5 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

Doesn't mean the pin won't be great but Peter Jackson can't seem to make a great movie.

That is your opinion (peter Jackson wins best picture Oscar):

#2019 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

That is your opinion:
» YouTube video

Why are you wasting bandwidth and everyone's time with this crap?

#2020 5 years ago

waiting-married-with-children.gif

#2021 5 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

The hobbit movies are drawn out and boring. Doesn't mean the pin won't be great but Peter Jackson can't seem to make a great movie.

Well, of course they are drawn out as its one book split into 3 films. Somehow there are even extended editions, lol. However, the more Middle Earth the better in my book. I'm glad all 3 films are packed with detail and not rushed. Can't wait for #3.

#2022 5 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

Why are you wasting bandwidth and everyone's time with this crap?

chessiv stated an opinion as though it were fact. I felt it was right to show that a plurality of people disagree with his opinion.

#2023 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

chessiv stated an opinion as though it were fact. I felt it was right to show that a plurality of people disagree with his opinion.

Dude you posted a stupid nearly 6 minute video that nearly no one cares about.

#2024 5 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

Dude you posted a stupid nearly 6 minute video that nearly no one cares about.

Nobody made you watch it.

There sure are a lot of rude people in this thread.

#2025 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

How did I state it was fact? Of course it's my opinion. Loving or hating a movie is only a matter of opinion.

#2026 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

That sounds awesome. I prefer Keith's style of rulesets that tell a story, put you on a quest and give you rewards towards a larger goal then others that are simply about points. Keith's rulesets just keep me coming back again and again. There's so much content to work with too with the 3 Hobbit Films that the game could very well be deeper then WOZ, LOTR and TSPP.
I'll admit that I actually considered dropping my Hobbit preorder after seeing TBL reveal yesterday. However, I can't see spending almost $9k on a theme that I can't really relate to. I like TBL movie but it's not one of my favorites. I love the LOTR and Hobbit films though and can see pins based on those themes being much easier to get my wife onboard with (especially with having kids in the house one day) and something that she will enjoy as well.

I strongly advise you to not drop your hobbit pre order till after expo!

#2027 5 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

I love LOTR and the Hobbit and I watched TWD (first three seasons anyway), but I'd rather have an great pin with a mediocre theme vs a mediocre pin with a great theme anyday.

Kinda, but for some us theme is more important. Not that the game can be a total piece of crap but I would rather own Robocop than WOZ I know cost difference and gameplay but no matter how deep or well layed out a pin may be if I'm not into the theme no interest at all. I'm a TBL fan so don't get me wrong great film just not a pinball machine I would ever buy.

#2028 5 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Oh I'm not. I already talked myself out of it, haha. The Hobbit is the theme and pin for me. Looking forward to seeing more at expo. It sounds like what we have already seen just scratches the surface in regards to what the game will offer.

#2029 5 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

He did mean to say: 'After you have seen The Hobbit in full at the expo you will definitely not even think for a second on canceling your pre order'

#2030 5 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

All this secrecy and hints of something miraculous about to be revealed. I hope Hobbit can live up to all of this hype. We've seen the playfield design and art. We've seen the cabinet design/art. We've seen the pop-up toys. We've heard that Smaug will interact with the ball in 2 different ways. We've even heard about a 5" lcd rumored to be on the playfield. Now, granted we have not been shown all of these things put together in a single game for some reason ... but what other things could be revealed that will really blow people's minds? I'm sure the game will look and sound nice all put together ... but with all the secrecy it sure seems like there must be some really big surprise coming.

Maybe some incredibly detailed Smaug toy? Possibly (but I suspect some will say they love Smaug and some will say it's just okay.) So is there some other incredible toy on the pf that we just haven't heard a thing about? Possibly. Is it some incredible new light show on the pf? Given the far fewer inserts I wouldn't think so but maybe. Could there be some awesome topper on the game and be interactive? I doubt it personally but maybe.

So what do folks think is going to be the real WOW surprise for them when the game is revealed? The ruleset? A detailed Smaug? A 5" lcd toy on the pf? A toy we know nothing about (like a hidden sub playfield with a camera showing it only on the LCD?) Maybe the game screen on the main LCD itself?

#2031 5 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

All this secrecy and hints of something miraculous about to be revealed. I hope Hobbit can live up to all of this hype. We've seen the playfield design and art. We've seen the cabinet design/art. We've seen the pop-up toys. We've heard that Smaug will interact with the ball in 2 different ways. We've even heard about a 5" lcd rumored to be on the playfield. Now, granted we have not been shown all of these things put together in a single game for some reason ... but what other things could be revealed that will really blow people's minds? I'm sure the game will look and sound nice all put together ... but with all the secrecy it sure seems like there must be some really big surprise coming.
Maybe some incredibly detailed Smaug toy? Possibly (but I suspect some will say they love Smaug and some will say it's just okay.) So is there some other incredible toy on the pf that we just haven't heard a thing about? Possibly. Is it some incredible new light show on the pf? Given the far fewer inserts I wouldn't think so but maybe. Could there be some awesome topper on the game and be interactive? I doubt it personally but maybe.
So what do folks think is going to be the real WOW surprise for them when the game is revealed? The ruleset? A detailed Smaug? A 5" lcd toy on the pf? The game screen on the main LCD?

Congrats on one of the first rational-sounding posts from you in a while. To answer your question, I just think it's going to be the whole package that's a WOW, and people will soon forget about how they nitpicked the little crap along the way. It's the code for this machine that's really exciting to me, though.

#2032 5 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

So what do folks think is going to be the real WOW surprise for them when the game is revealed? The ruleset? A detailed Smaug? A 5" lcd toy on the pf? The game screen on the main LCD?

Lots of things yet to be shown on the Hobbit! Things that have never been done before! Like I have been saying for a while the game will speak for itself soon enough!

#2033 5 years ago

The fact that Jack shows us anything at all months in advance of a game's release is a big plus for me. Criticizing it as cloaked in secrecy seems odd when Stern does not even leak titles very far in advance. However, I do give credit to the Dutch Pinball folks for putting so much out well in advance of product release.

#2034 5 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

I do give credit to the Dutch Pinball folks for putting so much out well in advance of product release.

And Skit-B ... and Multimorphic .. and Quetzal Pinball ... and Heighway Pinball .. and Planetary Pinball ... and Spooky Pinball.

#2035 5 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

And Skit-B ... and Multimorphic .. and Quetzal Pinball ... and Heighway Pinball .. and Planetary Pinball ... and Spooky Pinball.

Yep, all of them too.

#2036 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

He did mean to say: 'After you have seen The Hobbit in full at the expo you will definitely not even think for a second on canceling your pre order'

Forgive me, yet which expo might that be?

Ta!

#2037 5 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

And why do they? because they are relatively unproven entities. The have to give a little more info to assure the masses they are in it for real. Stern has nothing to prove. They are established. I would expect JJP to provide less info going forward now they have proven they are a legitimate pinball machine producer. I certainly would have cut off the info after WoZ if I were running the show. Every time JJP provides anything the trolls crap all over it.

#2038 5 years ago
Quoted from Santeh:

Ta!

Here you go

PE 2014.pdf

#2039 5 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

And why do they? because they are relatively unproven entities. The have to give a little more info to assure the masses they are in it for real. Stern has nothing to prove. They are established. I would expect JJP to provide less info going forward now they have proven they are a legitimate pinball machine producer. I certainly would have cut off the info after WoZ if I were running the show. Every time JJP provides anything the trolls crap all over it.

^ This is you guys derailing the conversation (again) to make this another attack on me.

I didn't criticize the secrecy. That was txstargazers labeling of it. I asked an honest question. The hype machine seems in full effect so there must be amazing surprises in store, no? I only asked what folks thought it could be.

#2040 5 years ago
Quoted from Santeh:

http://www.pinballexpo.com/ Coming up October 15th thru 19th.

LTG : )™

#2041 5 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

I would expect JJP to provide less info going forward now they have proven they are a legitimate pinball machine producer. I certainly would have cut off the info after WoZ if I were running the show. Every time JJP provides anything the trolls crap all over it.

I enjoy seeing the advance teasers from JJP and I hope that they continue to do this with future games. However, I can understand that having every bit of info turning into a lightning rod for criticism gets old fast. Game #3 will give us a good indicator of what JJP plans to do from now on. Without a license Jack can do as much or as little as he wants in advance of releasing the game.

#2042 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I can see your point especially if the clips were very long. Thankfully they are not very long move clips though. Maybe 10-20 seconds at most for an entire scene.

Ten to 20 seconds is an absolute eternity. The only thing that deserves a clip anywhere near that long is an intro to a MAJOR multiball or a wizard mode. Think of the buildup to multiball on Addams Family. That's about as epic a multiball intro as there was for a long time, and very well done, and that lasted maybe 5-7 seconds. Longer than that and you're seriously breaking up gameplay.

Repetitive short video clips can be a real problem too. They can get annoying and old. The best thing I can think of would be LOTS and LOTS of very short clips played in a semi random fashion. Group them by relevancy and then select from among them for various "callouts" related to gameplay. Sort of like varied speech callouts, varied video callouts could really add to the depth dimension and replay-ability of the game. But they should by and large play alongside gameplay and not need to distract the player from the real task at hand, playing the game!

#2043 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

http://www.pinballexpo.com/ Coming up October 15th thru 19th.
LTG : )™

Excellent! Thank you!

#2044 5 years ago

I enjoy seeing the advance teasers from JJP and I hope that they continue to do this with future games. However, I can understand that having every bit of info turning into a lightning rod for criticism gets old fast. Game #3 will give us a good indicator of what JJP plans to do from now on. Without a license Jack can do as much or as little as he wants in advance of releasing the game.

Funny I asked Jack who will give the approvals on Pats game. He answered......ME!

#2045 5 years ago

Okay, going from Dannunz's post that there are lots of things (plural) to be shown/disclosed I considered the areas where there are possibilities for surprises along the lines of "never done before" that he described ...
1) A sub playfield which is only viewable on the LCD via a camera (was requested by many early on in the Google forum). Would be a surprise for sure.
2) A new GI lighting system? Or unique lighting effects not incorporated in a pin before?
3) A video mode? Doubtful but it would be a first on an LCD I guess.
4) An interactive lit apron (this one wouldn't be much of a surprise since people have been speculating about it for so long ... but it would certainly be nice to confirm this one and I think it would be a first in pinball?)
5) Some sort of new intricate topper? Doubtful since Jack doesn't seem to be a fan of them.
6) Something in the game rules or the way you approach the game that is very unique?

Where else could there be a surprise hiding?

I'm already expecting a 5" lcd (or so) being integrated on the pf somehow (and that doesn't seem like a "first" since we had the crystal ball in WOZ).

I'm already expecting Smaug to interact with the ball in 2 different ways (thinking the tail acting as some sort of diverter.) So the only surprise here will be how incredible Smaug looks.

#2046 5 years ago

To your #1 point, if done it would be video (#3). #2 possible, #4 likely, #5, doubtful (not sure how it would be to look that at the topper during a game), #6 likely

#2047 5 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

^ This is you guys derailing the conversation (again) to make this another attack on me.
I didn't criticize the secrecy. That was txstargazers labeling of it. I asked an honest question. The hype machine seems in full effect so there must be amazing surprises in store, no? I only asked what folks thought it could be.

What attack?

Point I was making is JJP is providing updates but does not have to as they are established as a legit pinball maker (as Stern is). I went on to say I would not be as open as JJP is being because of trolls crapping on anything they put out.

The fact you took that as an attack is very telling though.

#2048 5 years ago

I like seeing what I am getting while I wait but would like to see JJP get to a point where thay are ahead of the process and can spring new games on us every 6 months or so without all the anticipation. This waiting 2-3 years for a game is for the birds. It's a pinball machine, not a skyscraper.

#2049 5 years ago

No topper. I actually had a idea for one and submitted it... Can't say why but ill release it after jack shows the full game. U will see why it's not being done

#2050 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

To your #1 point, if done it would be video (#3). #2 possible, #4 likely, #5, doubtful (not sure how it would be to look that at the topper during a game), #6 likely

You guys are not thinking innovation. New stuff to push the envelope. That's what I'm talking about!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 88.00
$ 27.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 41 of 201.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside