47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg
There are 10,044 posts in this topic. You are on page 40 of 201.
#1951 9 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

lol. I know you can't see this Pinchy, but if anyone wants to know who the idiot is then .

Yup no personal attacks or bullying

#1952 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Yup no personal attacks or bullying

Umm, he called me the idiot. Should I have put that in quotes for you?? Done.

#1953 9 years ago

I keep coming back looking for updates.

TH WOOLY and TBL interest me a great deal but will only be able to afford one of them this year.
Unless really shaking things up.

UPDATES UPDATES UPDATES

get the pitchforks.

#1954 9 years ago

100's of new posts and not one relates to actual updates for TH. In fact there is more talk of WOZ than TH.

#1955 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

100's of new posts and not one relates to actual updates for TH. In fact there is more talk of WOZ than TH.

Well, you know. JJP doesn't want to reveal any of their incredible ideas because everyone wants to copy them.

#1956 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The lesson here is you gotta be careful when you choose your theme. Some licenses are going to handcuff you and restrict your creative freedom. Unfortunately Hobbit was one of those, and we've already gone through what that meant. No point in beating that horse any further.
Luckily JJP was able to work around some of it, but TBL to me is what pinball art should look like. And that's a purely personal thing, but seeing that hand drawn stuff just tickles the right spots for me. And I wish Hobbit could have had it.
So it goes. We haven't even seen Hobbit populated with an attract mode running, I don't think it's entirely fair to even start comparing things.
And as much as I'm super impressed with TBL, the code is a giant mystery. Hobbit has Keefer, and he's about as far from a mystery as you can get, unless you mean "how the hell does he keep creating these incredibly complicated rule sets?"

The difference is one is an ancient out of date asset that has minimal "value" in today's market (TBL) and the other is HOT now (Hobbit). Guess which one allows you to do pretty much whatever you want.

#1957 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

The difference is one is an ancient out of date asset that has minimal "value" in today's market (TBL) and the other is HOT now (Hobbit). Guess which one allows you to do pretty much whatever you want.

if tbl is ancient what would woz be? i would choose tbl over woz or hobbit because dp picked a theme that gave them the artistic freedom to elevate the machine to a whole new level never seen before. it's too bad jjp is saddled with restrictions because they picked a hot theme. i never knew hobbit was hot now? when did this happen?

#1958 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I'm afraid I don't understand this. So, TBL is "ancient out of date" and "minimal value in today's market". And that apparently allows complete artistic freedom? And Hobbit is "HOT now" so they have more scrutiny and therefore allowed poor art to pass their approval? It seems pretty clear the latest pop-ups reveal left everyone wondering what the heck is going on at Jersey pinball. Not so good.

#1959 9 years ago
Quoted from vex:

if tbl is ancient what would woz be? i would choose tbl over woz or hobbit because dp picked a theme that gave them the artistic freedom to elevate the machine to a whole new level never seen before. it's too bad jjp is saddled with restrictions because they picked a hot theme. i never knew hobbit was hot now? when did this happen?

The difference is in popularity of theme. Everyone knows Wizard of Oz, everyone knows Hobbit, most people know what The Walking Dead is, however not that many people know what The Big Lebowski is...it's a 'weak' license at this point in time. That's not a dig. It's a cult film. The license holders are more apt to not be so tight on the representation of their assets. You could say the same thing about Predator. The fans it does have are fanatical though. It's a great movie and I think will make a great pinball game.

#1960 9 years ago
Quoted from OldPinster:

I'm afraid I don't understand this. So, TBL is "ancient out of date" and "minimal value in today's market". And that apparently allows complete artistic freedom? And Hobbit is "HOT now" so they have more scrutiny and therefore allowed poor art to pass their approval? It seems pretty clear the latest pop-ups reveal left everyone wondering what the heck is going on at Jersey pinball. Not so good.

Wait until you see Hobbit fully populated...I think JJP should not have revealed squat and unveiled all at once. Less scrutiny and you see the whole package at once. What may not look so good on its own may look great when seen as a total package.

#1961 9 years ago

I love LOTR and the Hobbit and I watched TWD (first three seasons anyway), but I'd rather have an great pin with a mediocre theme vs a mediocre pin with a great theme anyday.

#1962 9 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

I love LOTR and the Hobbit and I watched TWD (first three seasons anyway), but I'd rather have an great pin with a mediocre theme vs a mediocre pin with a great theme anyday.

Yep...me too (I own JM and RS )

I'm hoping for great theme + great game for both Hobbit and TBL though. I personally think TBL is a great theme as I like the movie, but others won't.

#1963 9 years ago

:Have all the WOZ machines been delivered?

#1964 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Yea, but this is a great thread to come to for drama and debate!!!

#1965 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

And? Who cares. Pick a better theme then. I'm tired of the excuses. No one put a gun to Jack's head and said "make a Hobbit pin". I love The Hobbit, but let's face it, the movies pale next to LOTR. The world would have gone on without a pin based on it, plastered with PR stills from the film and actor's faces.

As a theme for a pin it's a great idea! As a movie product it's okay. If they licensed the book instead, and did original art for it? Like Rankin Bass style? Or watercolor. Or whatever, but not photoshopped heads. Yeah, it won't have a big movie billboard on it. Tell me people wouldn't buy and play that still.

Whatever, I'm sure that wasn't an option, it's just an example, and it's too late now, I look forward to the completed project still. But companies, are you listening? F this studio promo PR photoshop shit. If your theme will require it, then stop, and pick another one. If you must do licenses, be imaginative, pick ones that will give you freedom to make something incredible. We'll buy it. Find partners who think the right way. Stern did it with Metallica, and it turned into IMHO one of the best games they've ever made.

#1966 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

And? Who cares. Pick a better theme then. I'm tired of the excuses. No one put a gun to Jack's head and said "make a Hobbit pin". I love The Hobbit, but let's face it, the movies pale next to LOTR. The world would have gone on without a pin based on it, plastered with PR stills from the film and actor's faces.
As a theme for a pin it's a great idea! As a movie product it's okay. If they licensed the book instead, and did original art for it? Like Rankin Bass style? Or watercolor. Or whatever, but not photoshopped heads. Yeah, it won't have a big movie billboard on it. Tell me people wouldn't buy and play that still.
Whatever, I'm sure that wasn't an option, it's just an example, and it's too late now, I look forward to the completed project still. But companies, are you listening? F this studio promo PR photoshop shit. If your theme will require it, then stop, and pick another one. If you must do licenses, be imaginative, pick ones that will give you freedom to make something incredible. We'll buy it. Find partners who think the right way. Stern did it with Metallica, and it turned into IMHO one of the best games they've ever made.

Whoa, GO Aurich!

#1967 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

And? Who cares. Pick a better theme then. No one put a gun to Jack's head and said "make a Hobbit pin". I love The Hobbit, but let's face it, the movies pale next to LOTR. The world would have gone on without a pin based on it, plastered with PR stills from the film and actor's faces.
Whatever, I'm sure that wasn't an option, and it's too late now, I look forward to the completed project still. But companies, are you listening? F this studio promo PR photoshop shit. If your theme will require it, then stop, and pick another one. If you must do licenses, be imaginative, pick ones that will give you freedom to make something incredible. We'll buy it.

I absolutely agree on everything you said. I was just stating the license differences and the likely much more freedom given to TBL vs Hobbit. Hand-drawn original artwork? Who WOULD'NT want that? Stay tuned for Lawlor's original theme...that should be what we're asking for creatively.

#1968 9 years ago

I think pinball art is very subjective anyway. I like using the movie art and callouts if the pin is based on the movie. I like how it was done for TRON and I like where it is going with The Hobbit. For me I want to see the Gandalf and Thorin from the movie - and hear them. If it is an original theme then yeah hand drawn art would rock. But for TRON and The Hobbit I want to see the actors on the PF/Cab. Not trying to speak for JJP - or anyone else for that matter - but this is the hobbit I would like to see. Just don't mess it up with the toys - pretty please

#1969 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The Hobbit, but let's face it, the movies pale next to LOTR

Agreed. But to be honest the LOTR is a better overall story than the hobbit. I am still glad Peter Jackson did it though. Should have been a single, or at most 2, movies to do it. Three is a bit much - given that it only took 3 for LOTR.

#1970 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

All I see on TBL is a looping video and some swirling (non rgb) LED's. It looks like a damn cool game but it's not ANYWHERE near finished but I can say one thing. With JP doing the video it's going to be REALLY awesome. His work is just fantastic.

Just to be clear: my main job on TBL is art-direction. I did the cabinet art, backglass and co-worked with Freek (illustrator) on the playfield.
My main focus on animation goes out to The Hobbit.

Jean-Paul

P.s. I picked my pinside name way before I knew I was getting involved in TBL

#1971 9 years ago
Quoted from TheDude75:

Just to be clear: my main job on TBL is art-direction. I did the cabinet art, backglass and co-worked with Freek (illustrator) on the playfield.
My main focus on animation goes out to The Hobbit.
Jean-Paul
P.s. I picked my pinside name way before I knew I was getting involved in TBL

Very cool JP! Thumbs up especially on your TBL work!

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
#1974 9 years ago

Dude go away. Totally inappropriate and you should be banned for at least the minimum. Lame.

#1975 9 years ago

And I just thought it couldn't get any worse.......................... What were you thinking?

#1976 9 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

Dude go away. Totally inappropriate and you should be banned for at least the minimum. Lame.

image-838.jpgimage-838.jpg

#1977 9 years ago

Id rather look at camel toe then read the tripe crazy has been posting incessantly. Yes forums are to discuss but youve got your point across 800 pages ago.

#1978 9 years ago
Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

Id rather look at camel toe then read the tripe crazy has been posting incessantly. Yes forums are to discuss but youve got your point across 800 pages ago.

There are other ways to make your point. But some people here just like to cross the line. Sad!

#1979 9 years ago

Dammit! What pic did I miss? Awwww!!!!

#1980 9 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Unhide post #1968

Edit, nevermind, its been removed.

#1981 9 years ago

After reading the latest posts and complaints about the artwork on the playfield and on TH overall, does anyone really think Stern, or any other manufacturer would have done things much differently? I think, considering the license restraints, any manufacturer would have to use the movie's clips and actors as a requirement. I am not bashing Stern by any means, I think TWD looks awesome and I will have one someday. Jack has already announced that Pat's game is unlicensed, so give them a chance to see what they can do without having to get studio approval.

#1982 9 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

No kidding! Wondering what that picture might have been is the first intriguing thing to hit this thread in countless pages.

#1983 9 years ago

Heres what the picture was about2014-09-28-23-16-22-241793088.jpeg2014-09-28-23-16-22-241793088.jpeg
2014-09-28-23-16-22-241793088.jpeg2014-09-28-23-16-22-241793088.jpeg

#1984 9 years ago

This thread is just choc full of info about The Hobbit.....

#1985 9 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

This thread is just choc full of info about The Hobbit.....

Because there's no real new info available, the void is being fueled by whatever

#1986 9 years ago
Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

It sets the tone for all of Pinside. I was under the impression that Robin did not want that kind of Frank Further type posting on here.

#1987 9 years ago

This thread is truly and embarrassment to this community. And I'm talking more about Craz4pin than the camel toe picture I missed.

#1988 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

While your post has merit consider this point: where would JJP have obtained his movie footage from the LCD screen had they licensed the books and not the movie?

I love hand drawn art, but we have to be reasonable in prioritizing what we want. Do we want HD movie clips or dots. I prefer LCD to DMD.

#1989 9 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

This thread is truly and embarrassment to this community. And I'm talking more about Craz4pin than the camel toe picture I missed.

Seriously?? Again with the personal attacks and gangpiling on me? All the personal attacks on me and childish name calling (and camel toe pictures??) ... that's not embarrassing. But me expressing some negative opinions in a respectful way, that's embarrassing "to the community"? The majority of my posts last night were simply correcting Pinchroma who stated that a full WOZ prototype had been produced and shown in just 13 months from first announcement (comparing it to DP's time taken to produce a TBL prototype.) That's just not true.

#1990 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

While your post has merit consider this point: where would JJP have obtained his movie footage from the LCD screen had they licensed the books and not the movie?
I love hand drawn art, but we have to be reasonable in prioritizing what we want. Do we want HD movie clips or dots. I prefer LCD to DMD.

Great point. For TH the team will be able to pull from 3 long feature length films video clips and audio. That is a wealth of content to work with it. Personally I think one of the biggest strengths of TH will be the way that Keith and Ted tie their ruleset into all of the cool videos clips and animations that JP makes. Keith even mentioned that the ruleset will be mission based and comprehensive which means covering all three films. I think we are all in for a treat with what Keith has been cooking up for the rules. A game can have the coolest toys in the world but it's the programmers that bring them to life with interesting and fun rules. Keith and Ted will do just that with TH like they have done with other successful titles they worked on.

As for The Hobbit films themselves I think they are really good. JJP picked a great theme to base their second pin on. The entire series has a lot of appeal across various age groups. World wide ticket sales for the first two films alone are over $2 billion.

#1991 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I love hand drawn art, but we have to be reasonable in prioritizing what we want.

Same place they will get it for Pat's game - original animation or video.

#1992 9 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

Seriously?? Again with the personal attacks and gangpiling on me? All the personal attacks on me and childish name calling (and camel toe pictures??) ... that's not embarrassing. But me expressing some negative opinions in a respectful way, that's embarrassing "to the community"? The majority of my posts last night were simply correcting Pinchroma who stated that a full WOZ prototype had been produced and shown in just 13 months from first announcement (comparing it to DP's time taken to produce a TBL prototype.) That's just not true.

Again it's everyone else BUT you. Take a hint (and a hike).

#1993 9 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Same place they will get it for Pat's game - original animation or video.

That is going to cost crazy money. Time will tell how it will be implemented in Pats game, we do not know enough at this point to really comment on that - it is just substituting unknowns in my view.

#1994 9 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

AMEN!

And they said the LIONMAN post was stupid and full of worthless information. In all honesty, would you rather listen to a bunch of people yell LIONMAN repeatedly, or listen to the incessant bickering and name calling (and apparent camel-toeing)?

We should just drain this thread and wait for a new one to surface with real info in it.

All that said, I'm kind of expecting to walk by the JJP booth at expo, and not be able to see the Hobbit machine they bring because too many people have gathered there to yell at each other.

#1995 9 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

All that said, I'm kind of expecting to walk by the JJP booth at expo, and not be able to see the Hobbit machine they bring because too many people have gathered there to yell at each other.

I agree that you won't be able to see it, but I don't think it will be because of people yelling at each other. It's a lot harder to troll in person.

Post edited by juanton: clarity

#1996 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Again it's everyone else BUT you. Take a hint (and a hike).

Actually, I think your posts are every bit as annoying and unfortunately just as informational. As a JJP employee don't you have some small updates or information you can actually add in here? Can you not comment on what percentage you think the Hobbit code is at this point? Can you not drop hints about how many modes people can expect? Anything?

If not, stop attacking him and maybe he won't have anything to respond to?

#1997 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I'll be honest here, I have zero interest in watching movie clips on my pinball. This is the thing I fear most about everyone going LCD (Stern is going to also) that they're going to just show movie clips and scores. That would incredibly lame.

So JJP not having movie clips? That's a bonus, not a problem. And that doesn't mean that I expect them to create Rankin Bass style animations instead. That's just a different way to create the same issue (and crazy expensive and time consuming to boot). Don't treat the LCD like a movie screen, it's still a score display and a secondary information source. You can do cool shit on it! There are lots of ways to tackle UI and animation.

#1998 9 years ago

Why bother leaking something so craz4pin can just shit on it? Finish product is coming... Ill hold on to my videos of the game.

#1999 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'll be honest here, I have zero interest in watching movie clips on my pinball. This is the thing I fear most about everyone going LCD (Stern is going to also) that they're going to just show movie clips and scores. That would incredibly lame.
So JJP not having movie clips? That's a bonus, not a problem. And that doesn't mean that I expect them to create Rankin Bass style animations instead. That's just a different way to create the same issue (and crazy expensive and time consuming to boot). Don't treat the LCD like a movie screen, it's still a score display and a secondary information source. You can do cool shit on it! There are lots of ways to tackle UI and animation.

I can see your point especially if the clips were very long. Thankfully they are not very long move clips though. Maybe 10-20 seconds at most for an entire scene. WOZ has various clips from the film but none are longer then 10-20 seconds with exception to the ones that play during There's No Place Like Home. I like the LCD as a score display and secondary information source but it's also nice when tied with clips from the film(s) and custom animations.

#2000 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Why bother leaking something so craz4pin can just shit on it? Finish product is coming... Ill hold on to my videos of the game.

Why even say this?
If you have a video and are not going to share, then keep your coment to yourself.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
$ 25.50
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

There are 10,044 posts in this topic. You are on page 40 of 201.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-update-1/page/40 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.