Topic Stats

• 10,044 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 714 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOB (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
No.gif
IMG_9476_(resized).JPG
47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 201.
#151 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

It is what I plan on doing to my WOZECLE topper when I get the game. I hope to make it interactive.

If you do...make two!

#152 5 years ago
Quoted from pinstor12:

Good looking cab art.

Not impressed with cab art. Its no more impressive than the cars that get the skins put on them. Would like to see some stenciled old school side art and a true screened backglass again. Looks "cheap" to me.

#153 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

You could put a fan in the dragon's mouth, silk paper and LEDs that would trigger at certain times and that would look like real flames.

silk-flame-simulated-fire-effect... 9 KB

Like the idea. Not enough creativity with stuff like this anymore. What new have we really seen in years. I personally think MM and the castle shaking and exploding or the mini playfield on the original Indiana Jones. These are the kind if gadgets we are looking for. Plastic figures on the playfield seems like a trinket. Need something really innovative!

#154 5 years ago

I think the manufacturers should have protected territories for selling games, just like the good old days.

I remember how that prick Hank Heiser of Empire/Bally Midwest actually had his parts counter guys call the front office when requesting parts for certain newer games to verify if he sold the machine to the buyer of any parts. When there would be a mismatch, he would toddle out and yell at us, the low-level flunky technicians, that he is not selling us a part for a machine we bought from someone else. Mr. Big Man.. LOL So, as I relayed that info to one of my company's owners, a call was made to Williams (Martin & Snyder had just gone out of business so Bally Midwest was now the Williams distributor). Within an hour I was paged on my two-way to go back and pick up the part. I recall it was a weird flipper base or coil stop for a Time Warp but it may have been something else.

I popped in to Mr. Nutty's office and said "Thanks for selling me the part after all". If looks could kill, I would have been dead.

He was a popmous ass because his daughter studied acting and supposedly dated Bruce Springsteen. Up until then, she had a few roles in some B movies. Eventually, she had a role in LA Law with the character name Allison Gottlieb. I imagine the Gottlieb name was related to pinball but who knows and who cares.

The protected territories were for machine sales, not service parts. It helped that one of my company owners was a Lawyer. He made the call to Williams.

#155 5 years ago

Yeah, totally cracking up over the vendors falling all over each other to pimp on this thread..

So, which one of you guys has a five year layaway plan so I can actually afford a Hobbit LE?

#156 5 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

So, which one of you guys has a five year layaway plan so I can actually afford a Hobbit LE?

That would be me! LOL!

edit----oops, you meant a distributor selling, well start sending me $200 month and it will be yours at year 5 when Im done playing it!

#157 5 years ago

TH GI Lighting (or the lack thereof)?

I didn't see anything mentioned about this in the 4 pages I've read.

Unless JJP has really kicked up the brightness level of the PF GI LED Light Tubes (for lack of a better term) from WOZ, I see the same issues may befall TH - overly bright Insert LED's vs. overly dim GI LED's.

As a comparison our WOZ has 8 LED Light Tubes in the lower area which is the same number that I see in TH in roughly the same portion of the Whitewood PF (lower 1/2 - 2/3).

Thoughts?

Pin - K

#158 5 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Barrel multiball, light into darkness multiball

I think a 'find the Arkenstone' mode would be neat... Everything goes dark except one shot lights for say, 100k, and every wrong switch hit and every time you fire a flipper subtracts 5k points and slowly wakes Smaug up due to all the noise. Smaug waking up would obviously do some new mode phase like a hurry up or something that would be more difficult but more lucrative with a roving or possibly unknown shot being the collect.

Gives a risk/reward for intentionally waking him up. That and you'd get to see the scene in the mountain where he wakes up

#159 5 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

That would be me! LOL!
edit----oops, you meant a distributor selling, well start sending me $200 month and it will be yours at year 5 when Im done playing it!

12k by the best christmas you'll ever have becuase you sold a 5 year old pin for 12k lol..

#160 5 years ago
Quoted from Pin_-_K:

TH GI Lighting (or the lack thereof)?
I didn't see anything mentioned about this in the 4 pages I've read.
Unless JJP has really kicked up the brightness level of the PF GI LED Light Tubes (for lack of a better term) from WOZ, I see the same issues may befall TH - overly bright Insert LED's vs. overly dim GI LED's.
As a comparison our WOZ has 8 LED Light Tubes in the lower area which is the same number that I see in TH in roughly the same portion of the Whitewood PF (lower 1/2 - 2/3).
Thoughts?
Pin - K

I think your concerns are unnecessary. JJP is well aware of the GI issue....if it happens again that would be mind blowing.

#161 5 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

I think a 'find the Arkenstone' mode would be neat... Everything goes dark except one shot lights for say, 100k, and every wrong switch hit and every time you fire a flipper subtracts 5k points and slowly wakes Smaug up due to all the noise. Smaug waking up would obviously do some new mode phase like a hurry up or something that would be more difficult but more lucrative with a roving or possibly unknown shot being the collect.
Gives a risk/reward for intentionally waking him up. That and you'd get to see the scene in the mountain where he wakes up

That's one helluva idea you got there.

#162 5 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

I think your concerns are unnecessary. JJP is well aware of the GI issue....if it happens again that would be mind blowing.

Agreed.

In my opinion all they really need to do is add a few software controlled spot lights in appropriate places. They can still keep the light tubes to illuminate the majority of the playfield.

#163 5 years ago
Quoted from MadPole:

That's one helluva idea you got there.

Well if Keith is still reading these threads maybe we'll see it

JJP, I'll only take a small royalty in perpetuity

#164 5 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

I think the manufacturers should have protected territories for selling games, just like the good old days.

Why? It's a different world. Online advertising and ordering, shipping readily available to anywhere with tracking, etc. It's not like the days when you walk into a local department/hardware store to buy most of your needs, and ordering from the Sears catalog was the big mail order venture.

Like all businesses these days, price competition is erasing geographical boundaries. You want restraint of trade and reduced competition to make a comeback? Really? Higher prices for all!

#165 5 years ago
Quoted from B9:

Thankfully our Design Team has access to assets from the Trilogy and must work in secret. This obviously limits what we can show but we are making great progress on the game.

This gave me flashbacks of "Special When Lit", when they were discussing how they developed the P2K Star Wars in secret and didn't have feedback from the rest of the organization.

I'm sure it will be great though. Although I can't afford it, I'm honestly looking forward to it.

#166 5 years ago
Quoted from Renegade:

This gave me flashbacks of "Special When Lit", when they were discussing how they developed the P2K Star Wars in secret and didn't have feedback from the rest of the organization.
I'm sure it will be great though. Although I can't afford it, I'm honestly looking forward to it.

You mean "Tilt", not "Special When Lit"

#167 5 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Why? It's a different world. Online advertising and ordering, shipping readily available to anywhere with tracking, etc. It's not like the days when you walk into a local department/hardware store to buy most of your needs, and ordering from the Sears catalog was the big mail order venture.
Like all businesses these days, price competition is erasing geographical boundaries. You want restraint of trade and reduced competition to make a comeback? Really? Higher prices for all!

the territories was to PREVENT people from under cutting each other and just selling on price alone. Channel management is not about getting customers the lowest prices - it's about ensuring everyone can stay healthy. Margin to the channel, margin to the end-user.

You hear everyone moaning about Walmart putting local businesses out of business? Very similar... the 'other' guy comes in with lesser offerings, but changes customer expectation of pricing... under cuts the incumbent who can no longer operate at the service levels they used to due to the pricing pressures. The guy either cuts his services or gets out because there isn't enough margin left in the business.

Customer gets lower prices... but due to lower margins.. there is less money in the channel to do value added services and less people interested in selling things.

"race to the bottom"

#168 5 years ago

I'm more concerned about not being able to use more than 3 initials for your high score than worried about how many digits the actual scoring goes to. A win is a win and a loss is a loss regardless of how many digits it records.

At least give me the option of using 10 letters so everyone else knows who you are and can comment over the beer afterwords.

#169 5 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

I'm more concerned about not being able to use more than 3 initials for your high score than worried about how many digits the actual scoring goes to. A win is a win and a loss is a loss regardless of how many digits it records.
At least give me the option of using 10 letters so everyone else knows who you are and can comment over the beer afterwords.

The more letters in the high score table, the more creative we can be in trying to troll it.
DISRCD35UX

#170 5 years ago

Thaught about the playfield. I think it looks very promising so far. Only critic i read some worry that both upper flippers dont have specific targets.

But maybe they are not always active.

Maybe you have to pass a mode to make them active. Or they only work when troll like toys come up and block targets for the lower flippers.

This would mean the both upper flippers are going from not needed to a very important feature you got to use if you want to progress.

Not sure, but i think that could work. Make the player upperflipper hungry by not making them active all the time.

#171 5 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

Thaught about the playfield. I think it looks very promising so far. Only critic i read some worry that both upper flippers dont have specific targets.
But maybe they are not always active.
Maybe you have to pass a mode to make them active. Or they only work when troll like toys come up and block targets for the lower flippers.
This would mean the both upper flippers are going from not needed to a very important feature you got to use if you want to progress.
Not sure, but i think that could work. Make the player upperflipper hungry by not making them active all the time.

Problem is if lower flipper become inactive, instant drain time! But nice thought

#172 5 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Very cool idea! This is the kinda of modes and gameplay I want to see in pinball! something new and creative. As with Woz already there is some fun creative rules, cant wait to see how hobbit turns out.

#173 5 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

Problem is if lower flipper become inactive, instant drain time! But nice thought

Haha, .

Off course lower flippers should always stay active.

#174 5 years ago

That is one giant start button. I do like the idea of it protruding not being recessed. Likely cause less wear over time around this button.

#175 5 years ago

I sure hope JJP manages the use of the LED's in this game. WOZ is almost annoying with the the crazy use of multicolor LED's.

#176 5 years ago
Quoted from alexanr1:

I sure hope JJP manages the use of the LED's in this game. WOZ is almost annoying with the the crazy use of multicolor LED's.

Well the movie is all about color so I think the "multicolor LED'S" are what it's all about. You know....The whole over the rainbow thing.

#177 5 years ago
Quoted from rottenrobert1313:

Well the movie is all about color so I think the "multicolor LED'S" are what it's all about. You know....The whole over the rainbow thing.

Well, the Hobbit is somewhat dark, does that mean no light at all? I get your point, but I think they went over the top with the psychedelic lights.

#178 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I overlaid the CAD blueprint over the whitewood shot, makes it a little easier to see how some things fit together.

Nice job!

#179 5 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

TheFamilyArcade said:

Agreed.

In my opinion all they really need to do is add a few software controlled spot lights in appropriate places. They can still keep the light tubes to illuminate the majority of the playfield.

I still want to hear that the GI brightness on TH will be increased from Jack or anyone @ JJP with the authority to speak on that matter.

I honestly don't think Jack, the Designers or the Coders believe that there are ANY GI Lighting issues with WOZ.
I'm fairly sure they think WOZ is working as Designed & will be walking down the same GI Lighting path with TH as "they" don't perceive it to be an issue.

If they did think it was an issue IMHO they would have offered a "GI Lighting Kit" to fix WOZ & we all know that didn't happen.

I REALLY hope I'm wrong but because of the WOZ GI Lighting Issue I'm seriously considering cancelling our TH preorder.
Worst case scenario I'm out the $500 I would have saved by preordering (& put my deposit back in MY bank $$$) and buy one later after I actually see & play it, best case scenario, I save $8K+ by not buying TH because it may end up with the same GI issue (please no thread hijacks/tirades on "See & Play First" opinions).

#180 5 years ago

When I look at the blueprint and the lower playfield pic that has been released, the 4 flippers make sense. Essentially, the pop-up Trolls (probably Goblins or Orcs) will prevent certain shots from being made with one set of flippers, forcing the player to use another set.

#181 5 years ago

I was told by someone in the know that the have a completely different engineer who is doing the lighting on this pin vs who they used on WOZ. They now realize the "daisy chain" system was the wrong way and will be doing something better moving forward.

#182 5 years ago
Quoted from Pin_-_K:

I still want to hear that the GI brightness on TH will be increased from Jack or anyone @ JJP with the authority to speak on that matter.
I honestly don't think Jack, the Designers or the Coders believe that there are ANY GI Lighting issues with WOZ.
I'm fairly sure they think WOZ is working as Designed & will be walking down the same GI Lighting path with TH as "they" don't perceive it to be an issue.
If they did think it was an issue IMHO they would have offered a "GI Lighting Kit" to fix WOZ & we all know that didn't happen.
I REALLY hope I'm wrong but because of the WOZ GI Lighting Issue I'm seriously considering cancelling our TH preorder.
Worst case scenario I'm out the $500 I would have saved by preordering (& put my deposit back in MY bank $$$) and buy one later after I actually see & play it, best case scenario, I save $8K+ by not buying TH because it may end up with the same GI issue (please no thread hijacks/tirades on "See & Play First" opinions).

Pins don't NEED to have an LED bomb attached to them like stern does with every pin.

#183 5 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Pins don't NEED to have an LED bomb attached to them like stern does with every pin.

All I want to do is be able to see the PF, see where the the Ball is at or coming from & see where I want to hit the Ball to.

WOZ's Insert Lighting IS an LED Bomb & without sufficient GI to offset the Inserts brightness it aggravates the issue.
There are 4 settings for the Inserts brightness WHEN STATIC:
Cool , Normal, Warm and Hot
Default is Normal & I have ours set to Cool which helps.
BUT as soon as ANY Insert Modes/Animations start/are activated they seem to go to Hot (or even brighter IMO) which WAY overpowers the GI IMO.

#184 5 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

I was told by someone in the know that the have a completely different engineer who is doing the lighting on this pin vs who they used on WOZ. They now realize the "daisy chain" system was the wrong way and will be doing something better moving forward.

IIRC the Daisy Chain system issue is not about the GI or Insert brightness it's about how problems are reported on the BUSS.
I think with the 5.0V RGB LED Boards (vs. the revised 7.5V RGB LED Boards) if ANY RGB LED Board in the Daisy Chain failed all/any RGB PCB in the Daisy Chain after it also went out.
Think real old Christmas light strings (yes I'm as old as dirt 8-}), if 1 bulb went out they ALL went out & it was a bitch to find the bad bulb as you had to have a known good bulb & keep swapping it out in the string until you found the culprit.

#185 5 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

but they have to have SOME GI's. That was a big problem with some of the B/W titles too. Try playing MB in an arcade environment (meaning very dark room). It's damn hard to see anything. You need good GI's in a game. Especially, if your going to have overly bright inserts, which backlight your ball. Making it even worse.

#186 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

but they have to have SOME GI's. That was a big problem with some of the B/W titles too. Try playing MB in an arcade environment (meaning very dark room). It's damn hard to see anything. You need good GI's in a game. Especially, if your going to have overly bright inserts, which backlight your ball. Making it even worse.

They dont NEED some. Its a design choice and they made it how they wanted.

#187 5 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

They dont NEED some. Its a design choice and they made it how they wanted.

It's also possible, that they messed up and didn't realize the flaw until it was already to late. happens all the time in pinball. Many many games have design flaws, but once it's in production, sometimes it can't be fixed.

#188 5 years ago

Re: design choice. I really doubt anyone said "Hey, let's skimp on the light output of the GI system so it's impossible to see the ball when the game is in a darkened room." I think Neo hit the nail on the head; all of the design work was done in a brightly-lighted industrial environment and no one realized how the controlled lamp light shows would overwhelm the (apparently) meager output of the GI system *in certain environments* until it was too late to change it.

The suggestion of an available for-purchase from JJP "GI enhancement kit" is a great one; that way you'd get something integrated into the game hardware/software-wise.

#189 5 years ago

But at the same time, you have to expect a new company to have some flaws. Trial and error. it's going to happen. It's their first game, and yes they have their problems, but so did the companies that were doing it for 30 years. Nothing in pinball is perfect. never has been, never will be. Most of us that have been around, know it will happen, understand, and look past it.

#190 5 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

Yes, tough choices. Actually, I was in for a Hobbit from Day One, but I am still trying to figure out if I can afford to buy anything else. I am selling a couple of pins with a view to getting a ST-LE, but that still leaves the MMR question open. The good news is that these pins will be available HUO for many, many years to come. It is easy to think that you have to buy now, but that's not the case (that is, unless you insist on NIB). Patience is a virtue, but that is easy to say!

Dont worry about it Craig, I will be happy to help you if you decide on a MMR LE so you can keep your Hobbit LE

#191 5 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

That would be me. I like to think I'm pretty different. Lights will not be daisy chained, GI will be different, inserts not blinding.

Plus it's going to be a fun game, because I'm one of the biggest Tolkien fans around, and rules are discussed among everyone on the team.

#192 5 years ago
Quoted from Hogbog:

That would be me. I like to think I'm pretty different. Lights will not be daisy chained, GI will be different, inserts not blinding.
Plus it's going to be a fun game, because I'm one of the biggest Tolkien fans around, and rules are discussed among everyone on the team.

Looking forward to it, glad a big fan is working on it, should add that extra edge of cool-factor. I just hope I can fit it through my door.

index.jpeg

#193 5 years ago

GI lighting is very important to me. I hate not being able to see the ball on any game. I never really appreciated how fun JD was until I bought a cheap one and put 7 spot lights in it. It is a completely different game now. I think Stern has done a good job on their last few titles out of the box, especially Star Trek Pro that is nearly perfect GI wise IMO. I have played 3 different WoZs so far and the ONLY one I really enjoyed playing was one that had upgraded GI so I could actually see the ball most of the time. I had dismissed it as a dull game before that and could never seem to get anything going. Once I played on the bright one, it was like playing a completely different game.

I agree with NEO as well, I don't think any designer intentionally designs a game to be dark, at least not in the middle of the playfield.

I think I am more interested in seeing the color palette they use with the mulitcolor LED's in this game. WoZ really lent itself to the full spectrum color explosion that RGB LEDs can provide, but it seems like TH will need a more muted tone to look 'right'. That is why I am not a fan of the color and cool white LED's in LotR. Warm whites just look better in that game IMO.

#194 5 years ago
Quoted from Hogbog:

because I'm one of the biggest Tolkien fans around, and rules are discussed among everyone on the team.

very cool post.

I cant wait to see this game!

#195 5 years ago

Who is Hogbog?? inquiry minds want to know! Agreed very cool post that address' most all my concerns from Woz. Lets hope this machine goes to the see-able dark side!

#196 5 years ago
Quoted from Hogbog:

Thanks for sharing this

#197 5 years ago
Quoted from Hogbog:

Lights will not be daisy chained, GI will be different, inserts not blinding.

So the inserts going to stay that way on WOZ or can they be brought down more?

#198 5 years ago
Quoted from B9:

hobbit.jpg 66 KB

Really curious how the green targets in the outlanes are utilized

#199 5 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Who is Hogbog?? inquiry minds want to know! Agreed very cool post that address' most all my concerns from Woz. Lets hope this machine goes to the see-able dark side!

Eric (HogBog) is JJP's electrical engineer

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/remaking-tz-custom-10-opto-board-anybody-else-need-one

#200 5 years ago
Quoted from Hogbog:

Looking forward to playing one. Not buying NIB, but hopefully it will be a game I'll keep my eyes out for down the road on the resale market.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Ridgeland, WI
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 201.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside