Topic Stats

• 10,044 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 714 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOB (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
No.gif
IMG_9476_(resized).JPG
47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 39 of 201.
#1901 5 years ago

If you put three people on ignore this thread would lose about 5 pages

#1902 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

soon.png 206 KB

Right now the pitch fork crew is at PPS looking for MMRE's, I don't think JJP wants those guys back anytime soon. We should be seeing a fully complete code machine in the next month or two.

#1903 5 years ago

To get in the right mood for TH I think I will play this:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/26/middle-earth-shadow-of-mordor-review

#1904 5 years ago

And the good news is.... Less than 20 days till expo!

#1905 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I said that Metallica is the only modern Stern pro to offer metal ramps and rails. That's not the case with other pro's for some reason. Metallica also has several unique interactive toys / features yet that's not the case with every pin the company makes.
Also, I posted the picture because Stern is advertising metal ramps and rails as a feature. Have you ever seen them mention plastic ramps as a game feature? Like I said there's nothing wrong with plastic ramps and rails at the pro price point. However, at the higher price points metal ramps and rails is nice option to have as it helps to justify the price. We see the same type of things with car companies all the time. Standard rims and cloth seats on a regular model but chrome rims and leather seats on a higher end one.

And that is why Metallica is the best bang for buck pro Stern have made

#1906 5 years ago
Quoted from asay:

It's hard to spend $2k+ on a toy when you are $150k in debt from student loans, and can only get a job that pays $30k/year. And that's only if you're lucky enough to actually find employment.

Dammit George !

#1907 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Soon. (Evil laugh)

Sounds like something will be revealed at the Pinball Expo in mid-October.

#1908 5 years ago

Hey so - I just watched The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug last nite on HBO. That's my Hobbit update! Thank you, hope it was informative!

#1909 5 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Do we know if the standups in the lower playfield are placeholder or final?
-mof

Maybe they get decals on them?

#1910 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

Maybe they get decals on them?

I believe this has been talked about before. Stand up targets with drops in front of them.

#1912 5 years ago

Really excited and looking forward to TH!
I think the theme is full of cool things to use in the game. Like in the second movie where Smaug says: Come now... Don't be shy... STEP INTO THE LIGHT!
I mean; they just have to use that sound in attract mode! Even that little detail would be awesome.

#1913 5 years ago

pinchorama bait.jpg

Plunger rod thingy going silver like the WOZ 95?

#1914 5 years ago

just because...

ernie-hobbit-pin-pool.jpg

#1915 5 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

just because...

ernie-hobbit-pin-pool.jpg 121 KB

Whats the snorkel thing?

#1916 5 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Whats the snorkel thing?

that's "lamp". he goes on lots of adventures with and without Tron on pinside over last few years.
some folks love lamp, some love Tron...

tron-lamp.jpg

#1917 5 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

that's "lamp". he goes on lots of adventures with and without Tron on pinside over last few years.
some folks love lamp, some love Tron...

lmao

#1918 5 years ago

Let me get this straight. JJP announces the hobbit in January 2013 and we've yet to see a whole playfield...only a vid of a working white wood....and have seen threads of WOZ customers waiting years for a game... and last October 2014 DP announces the TBL and today they reveal what appears to be a fully functional prototype that looks 100% finished???

Am I missing something?

What is difference here? I just don't get it.

#1919 5 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Let me get this straight. JJP announces the hobbit in January 2013 and we've yet to see a whole playfield...only a vid of a working white wood....and have seen threads of WOZ customers waiting years for a game... and last October 2014 DP announces the TBL and today they reveal what appears to be a fully functional prototype that looks 100% finished???
Am I missing something?

All the woz le have been delivered. There's a fully function company shipping games that have totaled over 1500 and climbing.. Tbl hasn't shipped... Yes your missing something

#1920 5 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Am I missing something?

I think part of the difference includes some very poor business decisions on JJP's behalf to build all their own custom hardware/platform? (among other poor decisions.) That had to consume a lot of time and resources.

#1921 5 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

All the woz le have been delivered. There's a fully function company shipping games that have totaled over 1500 and climbing.. Tbl hasn't shipped... Yes your missing something

I'm pretty sure it took JJP two and a half years (or so) to ship the very first game? So it would certainly seem DP is well ahead of that to say the least.

#1922 5 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

I'm pretty sure it took JJP two and a half years (or so) to ship the first game? So it would certainly seem DP is well ahead of that to say the least.

Really? Linoleum lives a few towns from me and built a pinball 2k game in his basement faster then tbl. Designing a game is a great accomplishment, building a company and making thousands of those games and selling them is a little diff.

#1923 5 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Really? Linoleum lives a few towns from me and built a pinball 2k game in his basement faster then tbl. Designing a game is a great accomplishment, building a company and making thousands of those games and selling them is a little diff.

lol ... someone sure is a little defensive, huh? The unbelievable response to TBL (and DP) got ya down?

#1924 5 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

This is a legit point. The last payment on TBL is April 2015...who knows when it will ship??

I guess I'm wondering why it's taking so long to come up with a TH working prototype? Will one be revealed next month?

This TBL table looks intense...and it took less than a year from announcement until now to show us a vid of table on and flashing

#1925 5 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

All I see on TBL is a looping video and some swirling (non rgb) LED's. It looks like a damn cool game but it's not ANYWHERE near finished but I can say one thing. With JP doing the video it's going to be REALLY awesome. His work is just fantastic.

#1926 5 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

I think part of the difference includes some very poor business decisions on JJP's behalf to build all their own custom hardware/platform? (among other poor decisions.) That had to consume a lot of time and resources.

Wrong. Platform had nothing to do with it. In fact that was one of the quickest pieces because it's all COTS hardware. The I/O board is the only piece custom designed and that was done very quickly as well.

#1927 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

All I see on TBL is a looping video and some swirling (non rgb) LED's. It looks like a damn cool game but it's not ANYWHERE near finished.

Right .. because everyone knows the most difficult and time consuming part of building a pinball machine is the code.

Quoted from Pinchroma:

Wrong. Platform had nothing to do with it. In fact that was one of the quickest pieces because it's all COTS hardware. The I/O board is the only piece custom designed and that was done very quickly as well.

I thought we had heard about several revisions of the I/O board (or some custom board) over the course of the first year of WOZ development? If this was done so quickly then perhaps you can better explain what the most time consuming difference was with WOZ development to explain the nearly 1.5 years more it took JJP to show a lit prototype? Something we still haven't seen from JJP's 2nd game Hobbit after nearly 2 years now, right?

And thank goodness the studio for TBL did not demand ugly revisions to toys/artwork.

I'm on a roll again tonight ..

#1928 5 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

Right .. because everyone knows the most difficult and time consuming part of building a pinball machine is the code.

I thought we had heard about several revisions of the I/O board (or some custom board) over the course of the first year of development? If this was done so quickly then perhaps you can better explain what the most time consuming difference was with WOZ development to explain the nearly 1.5 years more it took JJP to show a lit prototype? Something we still haven't seen from JJP's 2nd game Hobbit after nearly 2 years now, right?
And thank goodness the studo for TBL did not demand ugly revisions to toys/artwork.

What is your problem? Seriously. You sold your Hobbit spot. Get out of this thread for good and stop being a troll. Yes you are on a roll tonight...a trolling roll.

#1929 5 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

I thought we had heard about several revisions of the I/O board (or some custom board) over the course of the first year of WOZ development? If this was done so quickly then perhaps you can better explain what the most time consuming difference was with WOZ development to explain the nearly 1.5 years more it took JJP to show a lit prototype? Something we still haven't seen from JJP's 2nd game Hobbit after nearly 2 years now, right?
And thank goodness the studo for TBL did not demand ugly revisions to toys/artwork.

1.5 Years MORE to show a lit prototype? So you are saying it took 2.5 years to show a working prototype? You really are clueless.

And there were a few iterations of the I/O board during the initial development. That was to make it do what we wanted it to do at the SPEED we needed it to perform at. It's called getting things right.

Panzer is correct. You are just a troll. You are comparing 2 different companies with 2 different products and some how trying to make them match so you can prove some type of nondescript point?

The TBL machine looks awesome. I think it's going to be a winner but comparing it to anything else is asinine.

I really am trying to see things from your point of view but i can't get my head that far up my @55.

#1930 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

1.5 Years MORE to show a lit prototype? So you are saying it took 2.5 years to show a working prototype? You really are clueless.

Umm, so how long did it take to see a fully-lit complete prototype of WOZ (minus code)??

Quoted from Pinchroma:

You are comparing 2 different companies with 2 different products and some how trying to make them match so you can prove some type of nondescript point?

2 different products?? Really?? You don't see any slight similarities there, huh?? And you don't understand the question I'm asking? I'm asking .. what challenges did JJP face that caused them to take SO much more time to show a lit, powered-on prototype? It has been less than a year since DP announced TBL. I would just like to understand why it appears to have taken JJP so much longer.

#1931 5 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

Umm, so how long did it take to see a fully-lit complete prototype (minus code)??

2 different products?? Really?? You don't see any slight similarities there, huh?? And you don't understand the question I'm asking? Not clear enough? I'm asking .. what challenges did JJP face that caused them to take SO much more time to show a lit, powered-on prototype? It has been less than a year since DP announced TBL. I would just like to understand why it appears to have taken JJP so much longer.

about a year? 13 months i believe from announcement. So around about the same amount of time.

Again you are comparing APPLES to ORANGES. Get your facts straight. We had a custom platform, "lit" as you call it with individually addressable RGB LED's that flipped in 13 months.

It was announced in 2011, here it is in 2012 at expo more than just "lit"

Again please get your facts straight before opening your mouth. It seems like every time you open it, it's to switch feet.

#1932 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

about a year? 13 months i believe from announcement. So around about the same amount of time.
Again you are comparing APPLES to ORANGES. Get your facts straight. We had a custom platform, "lit" as you call it with individually addressable RGB LED's that flipped in 13 months.
It was announced in 2011, here it is in 2012 at expo more than just "lit"
Again please get your facts straight before opening your mouth. It seems like every time you open it, it's to switch feet.
ยป YouTube video

Hmm, I thought JJP announced WOZ in January of 2011? But Expo in 2012 was when they revealed a fully-built, powered-on WOZ? So it was 22 months (not quite 2 years) from announcement to reveal, no? So sure, 22 months compared to a little over 11 months is "about the same". And has it not been 22 months again since the announcement of Hobbit and we still have not seen a complete prototype? Those sound like the facts to me. I'm not sure what you're trying to spin.

Comparing one pinball manufacturing startup building their first game to ANOTHER pinball manufacturing startup who just built their first game is "comparing apples to oranges"?!??

#1933 5 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

Hmm, I thought JJP announced WOZ in January of 2011? But Expo in 2012 was when they revealed a fully-built, powered-on WOZ? So it was 22 months (not quite 2 years) from announcement to reveal, no? So sure, 22 months compared to a little over 11 months is "about the same". And has it not been 22 months again since the announcement of Hobbit and we still have not seen a complete prototype? Those sound like the facts to me. I'm not sure what you're trying to spin.
Comparing one pinball manufacturing startup building their first game to ANOTHER pinball manufacturing startup who just built their first game is "comparing apples to oranges"?!??

incorrect. The one in expo was running .78 code. The "lit" one which was flipping btw came out in Feb of 2012 running .11. So again you are wrong. 13 months. And it was FLIPPING not just a light show.

So please save the oxygen for the rest of us and just keep your trap shut

#1934 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

incorrect. The one in expo was running .78 code. The "lit" one which was flipping btw came out in Feb of 2012 running .11. So again you are wrong. 13 months. And it was FLIPPING not just a light show.
So please save the oxygen for the rest of us and just keep your trap shut

Are you referring to the white wood flipping?? That was Oct. 2011. With no artwork or final toys (not even the witch or cyrstal ball??) Yeeaaah .... no, that doesn't count IMO. A half-baked game is not a prototype. We did not see a complete game with final toys and artwork until much later (much later than Feb 2012, you're wrong.) And you do realize expo is in October, right??

You can keep spinning this and trying to make me out to be the one who is delusional, but I think you're actually making yourself look bad at this point.

#1935 5 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

Are you referring to the white wood flipping?? That was Oct. 2011. With no artwork or final toys (not even the witch or cyrstal ball??) Yeeaaah .... no, that doesn't count IMO. A half-baked game is not a prototype. We did not see a complete game with final toys and artwork until much later (much later than Feb 2012, you're wrong.) And you do realize expo is in October, right??
You can keep spinning this and trying to make me out to be the one who is delusional, but I think you're actually making yourself look bad at this point.

Wow you are CRAZY. I wasn't referring to the flipping whitewood. In any event I (and many others) can't tolerate your idiocy any further. Change your meds. Until then on ignore.

#1936 5 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

lol ... someone sure is a little defensive, huh? The unbelievable response to TBL (and DP) got ya down?

Nope just giving points to someone shitting on a hobbit thread. The pictures of their prototype look nice. But I'm not shitting in their thread either now am i

#1937 5 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

This is a legit point. The last payment on TBL is April 2015...who knows when it will ship??
I guess I'm wondering why it's taking so long to come up with a TH working prototype? Will one be revealed next month?
This TBL table looks intense...and it took less than a year from announcement until now to show us a vid of table on and flashing

I could leak hobbit videos... I'm not, I could have for a while now. Jacks running his Buisness how he wants.... By the way the hobbit le is about sold out. Guess he's doing a good job.

#1938 5 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

Ask Gary stern to show u another video of him playing lol...

#1939 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Wow you are CRAZY. I wasn't referring to the flipping whitewood. In any event I (and many others) can't tolerate your idiocy any further. Change your meds. Until then on ignore.

lol. I know you can't see this Pinchy, but if anyone wants to know who the "idiot" is then go research when the public first saw a fully assembled WOZ prototype. It was not February of 2012.

#1940 5 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Jacks running his Buisness how he wants....

Yes. He sure is!

Quoted from lllvjr:

By the way the hobbit le is about sold out. Guess he's doing a good job.

L-O-L!!!! I needed that. I'm pretty sure that's been said from day one. Too funny.

#1941 5 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

you're actually making yourself look bad at this point

I don't understand why you are being so hostile toward JJP, are you trying to talk us out of buying JJP? or trying to shame a company/person into something? if so, what? You know what, never mind, I don't want to know. I think JJP's progress have been fantastic, if TBL goes faster more power to them. I don't see how that should impact what JJP is doing - or force them to get prototypes out to the public sooner.

#1942 5 years ago

I don't really care how long it takes. To me, it's the quality of the game that matters.

One thing is clear, The Big Lebowski reveal has raised the bar, it will be interesting how JJP responds. WOZ was a ground-breaking design and, while The Hobbit is looking good, there have been a few things about it that seemed to be slipping backwards slightly. The backglass composition looks off to me and the playfield artwork seems a little rushed. It uses a lot of stock images and not as carefully-executed when compared to WOZ. Now that Dutch Pinball has come out with some incredible looking artwork on a game with a licensed theme it will be harder for pinheads to accept the excuse that JJP was constrained by the license when they did the Hobbit artwork.

Exciting times ahead.

#1943 5 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

Yes. He sure is!

L-O-L!!!! I needed that. I'm pretty sure that's been said from day one. Too funny.

Laughing all the way to the bank

#1944 5 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Now that Dutch Pinball has come out with some incredible looking artwork on a game with a licensed theme it will be harder for pinheads to accept the excuse that JJP was constrained by the license when they did the Hobbit artwork.

The lesson here is you gotta be careful when you choose your theme. Some licenses are going to handcuff you and restrict your creative freedom. Unfortunately Hobbit was one of those, and we've already gone through what that meant. No point in beating that horse any further.

Luckily JJP was able to work around some of it, but TBL to me is what pinball art should look like. And that's a purely personal thing, but seeing that hand drawn stuff just tickles the right spots for me. And I wish Hobbit could have had it.

So it goes. We haven't even seen Hobbit populated with an attract mode running, I don't think it's entirely fair to even start comparing things.

And as much as I'm super impressed with TBL, the code is a giant mystery. Hobbit has Keefer, and he's about as far from a mystery as you can get, unless you mean "how the hell does he keep creating these incredibly complicated rule sets?"

#1945 5 years ago

I know Jack and I know the Hobbit will be a great game. That's all I have to say about it. In a few weeks the game will speak for it self!

#1946 5 years ago

Chaching! Another happy customer!

#1947 5 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

I believe this has been talked about before. Stand up targets with drops in front of them.

Yes I know that. I think the question is will the stand ups be blue and red, or will it be an other color or will they get decals on them?

#1948 5 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

In a few weeks the game will speak for it self!

I'm really hoping there's a working proto at expo [TH]. Jack REALLY needs it there - now more than ever. I'm betting code is much further along than we think. A lot further than Woz was at expo 2012.

I have a TH on preorder paid in full and I need to see the whole package together cause I gotta tell you I'm not overly excited from the artwork perspective so far.

Gonna be the best expo in YEARS if it's there between TBL, TH, EoD, PG and who knows what else!

#1949 5 years ago

I think the OP should change title frim Hobbit Update to -

Crazy4pin has hard on for JJP ....

Seriously just quit, no one is forcing you to like it or buy it...

#1950 5 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

I think the OP should change title frim Hobbit Update to -
Crazy4pin has hard on for JJP ....
Seriously just quit, no one is forcing you to like it or buy it...

The forum for folks who have purchased Hobbit and can only say praise for it (despite hardly seeing anything) is on the Google forum. This is supposed to be open discussion with no bias. Oddly enough, I'm the only one who doesn't need to resort to personal attacks or bullying.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Prairie, WI
There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 39 of 201.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside