47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg
There are 10,044 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 201.
#1801 9 years ago

After seeing that playfield if feels very much like a JJP machine. JJP style is very distinct for sure, and easily recognizable as a JJP pin (not just the LED monitor backglass - I am talking just the PF)

#1802 9 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

This whole creepy lodge venue doesn't help the pinball is coming back fantasy.

I do like the horns on the playfield...maybe a hint to a cow-enemy in the upcoming movie?

#1803 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Thanks! It looks like Jack was talking about The Hobbit at the event. Jack appears to be showing off some pictures of a more completed version of the game. You can see lit LED's and drop targets in the second picture below. It also looks like someone was there capturing video of the event. Now we just need to find the video

O09A3254.JPG 152 KB

O09A3255.JPG 157 KB

Is Jack at the local senior center, or are pinball fans just that old?

#1804 9 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

LOL... I had the same thought...

#1805 9 years ago

Pinball needs more young blood.
Get out there and start recruiting.
-mof

#1806 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Pinball needs more young blood.
Get out there and start recruiting.
-mof

It's hard. Most Millennials (18-33 year olds) are broke and live with their parents. Thankfully, I am 34.

True story. There's a young guy who shows up at our league from time-to-time. One night I overheard him saying he had $8000 saved up and that he wanted to spend it on pinball machines. I advised this young person not to spend his entire savings on pinball, but if he REALLY wanted one to maybe start with a $1000-$2000 game and then save the rest. Fast forward a week or two and he is at my house to see about buying my Sega Frankenstein. He loved it, but for some reason ended up not buying it. The next time I saw him I asked why he passed on the game and his answer was "because Dad says we have no room for it".

#1807 9 years ago

Really stoked to see the end result. I think its going to be amazing. If JJP didn't show anything before the final game everyone on here would be crying for updates. Then when they do show bits and pieces people bash it. Ridiculous. Just play pinball and shut up.

#1808 9 years ago

I don't think so. 27 here. I would have been there if the event was closer. Another buddy of mine owns several pins and is the same age. During Jacks fireside chat at this year's Michigan pinball there were a lot of pinball fans of various ages.

#1809 9 years ago

Has anyone been hinted a ship date for their machine?

#1810 9 years ago

I was given an estimate of next August when I placed my order in July. But who knows for sure.

#1811 9 years ago
Quoted from B9:

Zooming in doesn't provide any additional clarity

H.jpg 22 KB

You forgot to "enhance"!

#1812 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

You forgot to "enhance"!

LMAO! I love that video..

#1813 9 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

» YouTube video

Haha! That's great.

#1814 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

You forgot to "enhance"!

Wait a minute, there's a reflection

#1815 9 years ago

Looks like good news for overseas buyers. Freddys Pinball Paradise is now an authorized JJP distributor.

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/JJP-Appoints-Freddy-s-Pinball-Paradise-as-Authorized-Distributor-.html?soid=1104524641178&aid=D0QdAysMlcM

#1817 9 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

» YouTube video

Me too. That is good comedy, right there my friend!

#1818 9 years ago

It's hard. Most Millennials (18-33 year olds) are broke and live with their parents. Thankfully, I am 34.
True story. There's a young guy who shows up at our league from time-to-time. One night I overheard him saying he had $8000 saved up and that he wanted to spend it on pinball machines. I advised this young person not to spend his entire savings on pinball, but if he REALLY wanted one to maybe start with a $1000-$2000 game and then save the rest. Fast forward a week or two and he is at my house to see about buying my Sega Frankenstein. He loved it, but for some reason ended up not buying it. The next time I saw him I asked why he passed on the game and his answer was "because Dad says we have no room for it".

I'm 25, here representing!

#1819 9 years ago

Does anyone else think that the "Lock" rollovers may be used for the games skill shots? WOZ has several that vary in difficulty to provide for some fun gameplay but I was wondering where would they be at in TH? With the way the exit of the shooter lane is lined up I'm thinking that the Lock rollovers may be the skill shot targets. Maybe 2, 3 or even all 4 can be hit on the plunge for different point values?

shot_2.jpgshot_2.jpg

#1820 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Maybe 2, 3 or even all 4 can be hit on the plunge for different point values?

mmmmmmmmmaybe.

So you've covered about 20% of the possibilities.

#1821 9 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Awwww Yeeeeeaah!

#1822 9 years ago

mmmmmmmmmaybe.

So...skill shots:
1) lock rollovers
2) plunge to left Outlane.
3) Dwarf drops
4) Man drops
5) plunge to inlane (short or long), then shot?

#1823 9 years ago

Most Millennials (18-33 year olds) are broke and live with their parents.

It's hard to spend $2k+ on a toy when you are $150k in debt from student loans, and can only get a job that pays $30k/year. And that's only if you're lucky enough to actually find employment.

#1824 9 years ago
Quoted from asay:

It's hard to spend $2k+ on a toy when you are $150k in debt from student loans, and can only get a job that pays $30k/year. And that's only if you're lucky enough to actually find employment.

I only had to wait six months for a job, but I did have to move to Iowa for it

#1825 9 years ago
Quoted from B9:

Zooming in doesn't provide any additional clarity

H.jpg 22 KB

I used the enhance feature

The Hobbit Playfield detail 20100921.jpgThe Hobbit Playfield detail 20100921.jpg

#1826 9 years ago

So the slingshot axes really are flat plastic?

#1827 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If true, I am guessing that will last about 12 seconds before someone makes a mod for it.

#1828 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Yes, looks like it.

No interaction, present pure for cosmetic and effects I think.

#1829 9 years ago

mmmmmmmmmaybe.

Haha. Awesome!

#1830 9 years ago

To be clear, I have a decent size collection with only 2 Stern games. I also HATE WOZ. So, I'm definitively not a fist-pumper for either camp. That said, I love the Walking Dead theme and kinda like the Hobbit theme. However, my enthusiasm has gone in opposite directions on the 2 games. Walking Dead was a dream theme for me, but I'm just not feeling enthusiastic about it and I'm deciding to drop my pre-order and take a wait-and-see approach.

Hobbit on the other hand, despite the middle of the road theme for me, I'm really getting excited about. Even something as small as the skill shot discovery just feels cool to me. I'm really looking forward to this game, I just hope I get mine (realistically) in Q1 next year.

#1831 9 years ago
Quoted from asay:

This sentiment I completely understand...

#1832 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

No interaction, present pure for cosmetic and effects I think.

To me it looks like there's a cut-out in the slingshot plastic to allow the axe to move towards the centre of the playfield, so I guess it's attached to the slingshot kicker. I would call that interaction.

#1833 9 years ago
Quoted from oyvindmo:

To me it looks like there's a cut-out in the slingshot plastic to allow the axe to move towards the centre of the playfield, so I guess it's attached to the slingshot kicker. I would call that interaction.

Interaction for me is that it will influence the ball in any way (bounce, block etc.) and I do not see that happening. The sling will bounce the ball and the axe will move along. I would call that reaction

#1834 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Perhaps they will add decals to make it more dimensional looking?

#1835 9 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Perhaps they will add decals to make it more dimensional looking?

Maybe they're just placeholders, I really hope so. Because they look awful. Frankly I'd trade pop bumper barrels for proper 3D molded axes, that's what's right in front of you.

#1836 9 years ago
Quoted from oyvindmo:

Interaction for me is that it will influence the ball in any way (bounce, block etc.) and I do not see that happening. The sling will bounce the ball and the axe will move along. I would call that reaction

This is semantics. Did anyone ever think these were going to "interact" with the ball? They're essentially the same thing as the Boogie Men on Scared Stiff. Now, whether you like the flat plastic vs. expecting them to be 3D molds, that is a different question.

#1837 9 years ago

Those slingshot axes almost look as bad as TWD's "crossbow".

#1838 9 years ago

I'm waiting to see the slingshots when the whole machine is shown rather than passing judgement on a blurry "enhanced" cell phone picture. I think the machine is going to be awesome.

--Luke

#1839 9 years ago

Do we know if the standups in the lower playfield are placeholder or final?
-mof

#1840 9 years ago

yeah i'm sure that woman in the white shirt can't wait to play the hobbit.

#1841 9 years ago

I used the enhance feature

The Hobbit Playfield detail 2010... 18 KB

Can someone enhance it on the z axis - zone 3?

#1842 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Maybe they're just placeholders, I really hope so. Because they look awful. Frankly I'd trade pop bumper barrels for proper 3D molded axes, that's what's right in front of you.

I am not sure what you are looking for in an axe. Most have a fairly narrow profile. I am sure there will be mods if people don't like what is put on by the designer. Look at what people do with SS. Whatever JJP uses needs to have reinforcement to keep from snapping from a ball impact.

axe.jpgaxe.jpg

#1843 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Maybe they're just placeholders

I am sure these are placeholders. If these are really just flat pieces of plastic they wont look to good and will break easy. But lets wait till we see it all together

#1844 9 years ago
Quoted from mummite:

I am sure these are placeholders. If these are really just flat pieces of plastic they wont look to good and will break easy. But lets wait till we see it all together

Maybe the final production axes will me made of metal. After all TH is confirmed to weigh more then WOZ. That still boggles my mind considering everything in WOZ.

#1845 9 years ago

They're flat plastic. Remember, we saw the plastic set and decals a while back...

hobbitplastics.jpghobbitplastics.jpg

#1846 9 years ago

I think most people that get a chance to play pinball enjoy it. People in the 80s were drawn to the arcade machines because they were new and shiny. Now that video games (and consoles) are common, the pinball machines look new and shiny. My kids now like playing pinball as much as video games. The big issue is the cost of a pinball machine - that is what is holding them back to the public. The catch 22 is that it takes that much money to design, build, and ship a pinball machine.

Anyway, the cell phone pic was very telling for me - the color will be rich and the build quality looks in check

Really excited to see a gameplay video!

#1847 9 years ago

Thus, it could be a "distraction!" Sorry, had too...

#1848 9 years ago

Pick pick pick, or hack hack hack. It's a plastic it's not plastic, who cares? Seems everyone wants critique every screw and nut. I'm 100% confident it will look great as a package if WoZ is any indication of what we can expect.

#1849 9 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

I'm 100% confident it will look great as a package if WoZ is any indication of what we can expect.

That's assuming you actually thought WOZ looked great "as a package".

I was hoping Hobbit would look much better (and it may) ...

#1850 9 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

That's assuming you actually thought WOZ looked great "as a package".
I was hoping Hobbit would look much better (and it may) ...

Here we go again...
stop.jpgstop.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
$ 25.50
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

There are 10,044 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 201.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-update-1/page/37 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.