Topic Stats

• 10,044 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 714 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOB (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
No.gif
IMG_9476_(resized).JPG
47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 201.
#1101 5 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

Wait.. Lawlor is leading on Hobbit?

Whoa!! If true, then this is some major news.

Can anyone confirm/deny?

#1102 5 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Can anyone confirm/deny?

Don't care. Used to be a huge Lawlor fan, but he hasn't done anything worth a crap since RBION. He has potential if he's not restricted, but his hay day was the late 80's and early 90's.

#1103 5 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Can anyone confirm/deny?

I can confirm.

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/joe-balcer/23/a89/544

#1104 5 years ago

Lawlor better not joke up this pin with cheesy call outs and bad humour, I like what I saw even in the whitewood seems like its going to follow LOTR and be a little darker. Stay away Lawlor.

#1105 5 years ago

Anyone some insights why Joe and JJP seperated?

#1106 5 years ago

So its Joe Balcers design and pat took over or did Pat redesign? I thought TH was well underway and design was shown befkre Pat joined JJP.

#1107 5 years ago

Sorry, maybe I'm missing it but how does that confirm anything?

#1108 5 years ago

Its joes design. He may have left jjp but the hobbit lay out is finished. Pat is working on his own game that's it. Pat has a shooting white wood also. Lots of great things happening at jjp.

#1109 5 years ago

Around the time Stern went to private equity they started using people game by game JJP may be doing just that.

#1110 5 years ago

Wow, I had no idea either. This is big news if Pat is at the wheel.

#1111 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

page 22 seems to be the pages of thumbs down. With all that thumbing action going on, maybe some of you need to stick some of those in your butt.

wtyp.png

#1112 5 years ago

It gets too expensive to pay 2 designers at the rate games are being made, surely?

#1113 5 years ago

That certainly does not sound/look good when they also recently dumped that other vice president last week. It especially is worrisome in that Balcer is the Hobbit designer and that game is not finished yet.

I am starting to feel that everyone with skin in the games should prepare to lose out.

#1114 5 years ago

I believe historically a designer can hand over a white wood and be done with a game, but it can only help if the original designer is there to see his game through to release.

#1115 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

That certainly does not sound/look good when they also recently dumped that other vice president last week. It especially is worrisome in that Balcer is the Hobbit designer and that game is not finished yet.
I am starting to feel that everyone with skin in the games should prepare to lose out.

Hang on, can someone explain to me why they think Balcer has left JJP based on that page? I can't see anything that indicates he has left JJP.

#1116 5 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Hang on, can someone explain to me why they think Balcer has left JJP based on that page? I can't see anything that indicates he has left JJP.

There is an "end date" on his employment, as opposed to "Present" (pasted GG's for comparison)

Capture1.JPG Capture2.JPG
#1117 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Really? Come on the design of the game is done. If Joe has moved on than who better than kieth to dial it in. The hobbit is a lot farther along than you all know. Pf art almost done.....rules done being programmed now......all parts designed and being fabricated.

#1118 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

There is an "end date" on his employment, as opposed to "Present" (pasted GG's for comparison)

OK, thankyou for the explanation.

#1119 5 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

all parts designed and being fabricated.

Last I heard they were building whitewood, mark III. So, if this is true they must have been happy with how that played?

#1120 5 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Really? Come on the design of the game is done. If Joe has moved on than who better than kieth to dial it in. The hobbit is a lot farther along than you all know. Pf art almost done.....rules done being programmed now......all parts designed and being fabricated.

Well said!

#1121 5 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

You honestly believe that all the mechanical engineering is done and tuned?
I truly hope you are correct.

#1122 5 years ago

I wonder if this has anything to do with JJP posting a want ad for a mechanical engineer position a little over a month ago.

#1123 5 years ago

This was posted by Jack.

Jersey Jack

8:22 AM (1 hour ago)
Joe's game is done as is his employment with JJP. He is working for one of our metal vendors now. Pat Lawlor is working on game #3 and another designer is working on game #4. We love Joe and wish him the very best.

#1124 5 years ago

I want to preorder game #4

#1125 5 years ago

No one gets sarcasm anymore ..

#1126 5 years ago

th-434.jpg

Five stage

1. Denial and Isolation Done

2. Anger Done

3. Bargaining Happing now

4. Depression

5. Acceptance

#1127 5 years ago

Well CRAP! I thought Hobbit looked to be shaping up real nicely, but I don't see any scenario where it is a good thing to lose the designer at this stage. None of us truly know what state the game is in, but we can all safely assume it is not completed and just collecting dust until the 3rd movie. Anything short of this, not having the guy who envisioned this from the start, to me is a step back.

I definitely don't want Lawlor touching this game. I loved 90s Lawlor, but haven't liked his games since he joined Stern. Regardless, this game is so different stylistically from Lawlor's stuff, that I don't want him anywhere near it. I'll evaluate his game on its own merits when he has something to show on game 3.

For the first time in this process I'm officially a bit nervous about where this is headed. I hope I'm wrong!

#1128 5 years ago
Quoted from jams77:

Five stage1. Denial and Isolation Done2. Anger Done3. Bargaining Happing now4. Depression5. Acceptance

Is that the guy from the second Iraq war who was making all those ridiculous claims?

#1129 5 years ago

I would doubt PL having too much influence, if any on this. It's not like they are going to change it from the 4 flipper back and forth to a 3 flipper with the jackpot coming off the third flipper. That will be on game #3...

#1130 5 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

I don't see any scenario where it is a good thing to lose the designer at this stage

I picked a bad week to send JJP a deposit for a Hobbit LE!

Glue.jpg

Seriously though, I am interested in how this worked out with Williams games. I assume this was fairly common to have multiple designers tweak a design at the end (if needed) and I assume they could always bring Joe back to consult if really needed.

#1131 5 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

It just doesnt really matter cause for those that are so dead against any amazing machine they are the ones who lose out in the end. just sayin

Who's "dead against amazing machines"??

Criticism of JJP's business practices and/or Jack ≠ "against amazing pinball machines"

Don't feel bad for missing this simple point, Jack does it all the time as well.... it's his go-to retort to criticism (besides blaming his suppliers for screwing up )

I, for one, am extremely interested to SEE a WORKING and FINISHED The Hobbit machine. I think WoZ has some amazing features and advances, but the gameplay, theme and music were no-go's for my tastes... such is life. However:

A faster game, with a great theme (TH) AND all those technical advances "seems" like a big potential winner. So Im anxious to see TH. I'll still never in a million years pre-order, but I'll still be a customer if the games come out great and they work out many of the problems that plagued WoZ.....

Many folks here tie any criticism of Jack or JJP directly to criticism of his game (and their game!) and, even more insanely, to criticism of pinball in general! LOL.

Example; I think Steve Jobs was a colossal a-hole, but I separated that from evaluating and owning MANY Apple product when they met my needs/interests.

#1132 5 years ago

I bet this is a deja vu moment for Keith. Same thing happened with the same guy on TSPP, didn't it? My bet is that the Hobbit is much farther along than TSPP was(according to that message from Jack) and if it isn't, who better to finish it off than Keith? Worked pretty well the last time.

Maybe Jack prefers to hire a designer pr. game only instead of having one on, full time payment.

Pretty sure there is no reason to start worrying about this. Maybe he has done all that is needed of him for The Hobbit and if so, that is good news.

What I really want to know is who they have hired for that 4th game

#1133 5 years ago

Joe's been working almost exclusively on Hobbit for over 18 months. I would guess that his part of the design is most likely done and it's mostly software/sound/lcd work that remains.

#1134 5 years ago

It's joes game, he left his choice, someone picks up where he left off the wheels keep turning, games far enough along it won't matter, someone has to be in charge for final item choices, maybe they will change something just to make how mad lol... But seriously it's joes game, pats further along on his then joe spent on hobbit!

#1135 5 years ago

The reason why the Hobbit is going to . . . oh wait, since I don't have any actual, reliable information I should probably refrain from speaking from my anus.

#1136 5 years ago

Why do you guys always look for a negative in everything you post. I know everything has not been smooth with JJP, but what in any kind of business is. Jack said Joe's part is done. Some of you guys live to see something fail. Why not enjoy more pinball. If you don't want to buy from JJP that's fine, but stop thinking that every bit of news that comes out of JJP is the end. I want to see everything with pinball succeed. Guys we don't have a lot of options. Let's hope we get some more it will only help the hobby.

#1137 5 years ago

You talking to me or the guy still waiting for his paid in full WOZ ?

#1138 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballHog:

Why do you guys always look for a negative in everything you post. I know everything has not been smooth with JJP, but what in any kind of business is. Jack said Joe's part is done. Some of you guys live to see something fail. Why not enjoy more pinball. If you don't want to buy from JJP that's fine, but stop thinking that every bit of news that comes out of JJP is the end. I want to see everything with pinball succeed. Guys we don't have a lot of options. Let's hope we get some more it will only help the hobby.

QFT.

Wasn't it just a couple days ago where we saw the photo of a Hobbit playfield with full color art?

Doesn't that mean layout and design are basically established/committed, ie design/Joe Balcer's part is done?

Isn't it already known Lawlor is designing number three and an unnamed designer is doing #4 as I write?

Isn't Joe going to another job within the industry and not dropped to unemployment?

I'm not feeling chicken-little on this at all. Seems pretty explainable.

#1139 5 years ago

When something is wrong always blame the guy who quit. He won't be around to solve it lol

#1140 5 years ago

Should be a fun game. I like the 4 play field pop ups. Can't wait to play it in 2015

#1141 5 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Iis Balcer still at JJP or did he leave?

Quoted from Hitch9:

He's still there, heading up the hobbit design.

Quoted from RobT:

Are you sure about that?

#1142 5 years ago

I knew about Joe's departure with JJP 3 weeks ago. I am surprised it took so long to be on pinside ?

#1143 5 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

I knew about Joe's departure with JJP 3 weeks ago. I am surprised it took so long to be on pinside ?

What else do you know?

#1144 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Joe's been working almost exclusively on Hobbit for over 18 months. I would guess that his part of the design is most likely done and it's mostly software/sound/lcd work that remains.

The Hobbit, by Alan Smithee

j/k

i think you're right. Hard to imagine anyone putting in that much time and then leaving with the work incomplete.... Sounds like he was done/mostly done, another opportunity came up (and since PL was already contracted for #3) he moved to another project.

I regard this announcement as un-epic.

#1145 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Used to be a huge Lawlor fan, but he hasn't done anything worth a crap since RBION.

You didn't dig Nascar Neo?

#1146 5 years ago

Yes, why be so negative? I don’t get it… we are all pinball lovers here if I am not mistaken. I embraced the fact that there finally came a new manufacturer on the market! JJP tries to evolve the pinball world and I believe he has already done so, given the fact that Stern’s Startrek as it stands rightnow never would have been such a great (looking) game. And, there are more manufacturers to come or already there, great! The standard is rising and that is good news for all of us.
If you want JJP to go down, then I am sure the ST was the last good machine Stern has produced, they already think to get away with a Ford theme … So stop the crap and be happy. Unless you want to play Spiderman makeovers foreva!

#1147 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

You didn't dig Nascar Neo?

Nope, and I didn't try to put a Chevy 327 on my riding mower either.

#1148 5 years ago

Id like to see them find a way to leverage this in a game

#1149 5 years ago

It's unreal to me how some of you people are still on these threads drumming up shit.

#1150 5 years ago
Quoted from RawleyD:

It's unreal to me how some of you people are still on these threads drumming up shit.

Like what?

Balcer is no longer with JJP. That's a fact, not that dirty word that you said.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
7,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pensacola, FL
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
€ 159.00
Cabinet - Toppers
FlipperLED
There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 201.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside