Topic Stats

• 10,044 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 714 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOB (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
No.gif
IMG_9476_(resized).JPG
47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 200 of 201.
#9951 3 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Seriously?? That Sauron one is actually one of my favorites!! Like I said, it's all about maxing switch hits before cashing in and strategically extending the timer at the same time. The lighting and sound is excellent in that one too. Different strokes...

That one is one of my favs as well.

#9952 3 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Seriously?? That Sauron one is actually one of my favorites!! Like I said, it's all about maxing switch hits before cashing in and strategically extending the timer at the same time. The lighting and sound is excellent in that one too. Different strokes...

I love the lightshow on that one, but bashing the left ramp repeatedly is just brain-dead. Why not left-right alternating to finish the mode or something else to add a little spice to the mode?

#9953 3 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

I love the lightshow on that one, but bashing the left ramp repeatedly is just brain-dead. Why not left-right alternating to finish the mode or something else to add a little spice to the mode?

There are 31 modes (think baskin robbins...) I imagine that there is something for everyone...

#9954 3 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

If you're just shooting the left ramp in that mode you're doing it wrong:

#9955 3 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

There are 31 modes. Why do they all have to be brutally and meticulously fleshed out? Why can't one or two be hurry ups or a single repeated shot? There's enough variety here we don't need to brow beat the dev over nuances with one or two of the 31 modes I think.

#9956 3 years ago
Quoted from Troz:

If you're just shooting the left ramp in that mode you're doing it wrong: ยป YouTube video

No, I'm doing what's needed to finish the mode.

#9957 3 years ago

Yes, The Sauron mode is one of the best as is. If you do it right you can get a lot of points out of it. It's not just about completing it, but combining it with Mode Locks and get the Treasure Hunt! Love it.

#9958 3 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

There are 31 modes. Why do they all have to be brutally and meticulously fleshed out? Why can't one or two be hurry ups or a single repeated shot? There's enough variety here we don't need to brow beat the dev over nuances with one or two of the 31 modes I think.

12 Modes have very simplistic and similar completion parameters, not one or two.

#9959 3 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

12 Modes have very simplistic and similar completion parameters, not one or two.

So you're saying this game has 19 non-simplistic modes and that's not good enough for you?

#9960 3 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

So you're saying this game has 19 non-simplistic modes and that's not good enough for you?

No, but why have the filler modes I have to groan about when they come up (flies and spiders and bash spider are groaners for me)? If you can't do 31 fully awesome modes, just have 25 rock solid, fully engaging modes in the game and cut the fat. I'm totally fine with that.

That said, since this is still essentially a framework, using the WoZ software roadmap, I expect that they'll all eventually be fleshed out before it's considered finished. So, I can wait.

#9961 3 years ago

I believe the modes are finished objective-wise and only score balancing will happen from here on out. Wouldn't hold your breath.

#9962 3 years ago

I would like to see some kind of save and resume function where you can save a game after a ball and then at a later date/time continue where you left out, and it could stage any locked balls. As someone with young kids I rarely get more than 5-10 minutes without getting interrupted. It's the reason I can't have games like LOTR, TSPP and Hobbit in my collection.-at least for a while. If there was a save/continue function like video games have this would be possible again! Also a pause game feature like TZ would be awesome!

#9963 3 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

You're doing it wrong if you're just spamming the ramp over and over.

Edit: Beat me to it.

#9964 3 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

No, but why have the filler modes I have to groan about when they come up (flies and spiders and bash spider are groaners for me)? If you can't do 31 fully awesome modes, just have 25 rock solid, fully engaging modes in the game and cut the fat. I'm totally fine with that.
That said, since this is still essentially a framework, using the WoZ software roadmap, I expect that they'll all eventually be fleshed out before it's considered finished. So, I can wait.

You can flip past any modes you dont like by hitting the flipper button while the ball is on the wire form.
You only have to complete one mode to get to a mini-wizard mode.

#9965 3 years ago
Quoted from Troz:

I believe the modes are finished objective-wise and only score balancing will happen from here on out. Wouldn't hold your breath.

Compare the "final" Woz 2.0 to the actual pretty close to final WoZ 6.06. HUGE difference in all aspects including objectives. I think Hobbit will evolve similarly.

#9966 3 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

Compare the "final" Woz 2.0 to the actual pretty close to final WoZ 6.06. HUGE difference in all aspects including objectives. I think Hobbit will evolve similarly.

I trust Keith and Ted aren't done. I think Keefer knows what he is doing. If 31 modes aren't varied enough, sell hobbit and buy 5 Stern to get your 31 modes back. Even then, you might find Tron or LOTR limited by the zero drop targets. (I own Woz , TH and 7 Sterns - so not bashing any of them )

You are the first I've heard saying TH modes are too similar.

#9967 3 years ago

I just played 1.9.
Much better feel of the game, much higher scores, a more natural feel to the whole environment.
The game is much more alive and engaging.

With more a iittle more polish this incredible game will soar to amazing new heights.
Well done JJP and team.

#9968 3 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

I trust Keith and Ted aren't done. I think Keefer knows what he is doing. If 31 modes aren't varied enough, sell hobbit and buy 5 Stern to get your 31 modes back. Even then, you might find Tron or LOTR limited by the zero drop targets. (I own Woz , TH and 7 Sterns - so not bashing any of them )
You are the first I've heard saying TH modes are too similar.

Well, it's not my Hobbit, anyway, so I don't need to sell it. But I'm looking forward to the polish to come. I would call it good, but not great yet.

#9969 3 years ago

Just loaded 1.90 and I'm getting some unattended jet bumper action randomly while playing. Anyone else seeing this with 1.90?

#9970 3 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

Just loaded 1.90 and I'm getting some unattended jet bumper action randomly while playing. Anyone else seeing this with 1.90?

Please go into Tests - Switches - Matrixed and bang on playfield. Make sure you don't have a sensitive switch issue.

I've had no problem with 1.90P or 1.90

LTG : )

#9971 3 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thanks Lloyd on top of things as usual!

#9972 3 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

Your rubber next to the jets is breaking
splits down the sides which makes the switch hit
hit that switch and all 3 x pops go off. change rubber or Rotate it around.

#9973 3 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I would like to see some kind of save and resume function where you can save a game after a ball and then at a later date/time continue where you left out, and it could stage any locked balls. As someone with young kids I rarely get more than 5-10 minutes without getting interrupted. It's the reason I can't have games like LOTR, TSPP and Hobbit in my collection.-at least for a while. If there was a save/continue function like video games have this would be possible again! Also a pause game feature like TZ would be awesome!

Great idea Mike!!!!
I just downloaded and played 1.9 tonight and it is awesome!!!!! But in the middle of game #2 this evening I was one Rune stone away from Barrel Escape when my 5 year old came downstairs crying after having a nightmare and that was the end of that. Family first...Rune stones second. But a pause option would have made my evening. Anyway, this game is such a gift to pinball. So glad I own one.

#9974 3 years ago
Quoted from Ranhorton:

Great idea Mike!!!!
I just downloaded and played 1.9 tonight and it is awesome!!!!! But in the middle of game #2 this evening I was one Rune stone away from Barrel Escape when my 5 year old came downstairs crying after having a nightmare and that was the end of that. Family first...Rune stones second. But a pause option would have made my evening. Anyway, this game is such a gift to pinball. So glad I own one.

How could you pause it if were able using existing hardware

#9975 3 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Great question. Maybe if you held down the start button and either the right or left flipper button at the same time? Game could pause your progress and probably remember how many balls (if applicable) were in play before pausing and causing a drain (tilt-esque) situation?

It's probably not possible but fun to dream.

#9976 3 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Just like Stern games: Coin door open, ball save activated until the coin door is closed again. You can leave it open as long as needed.

#9977 3 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

Just like Stern games: Coin door open, ball save activated until the coin door is closed again. You can leave it open as long as needed.

Just like old Stern games. The newer, more innovative, more expensive do not even have a coindoor switch..

#9978 3 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

A lot of us actually enjoy those what you are calling filler modes. I like the hurry up ones and the shoot the ramp ones and the bash the spider ones.

#9979 3 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

It shouldn't be that hard. On TZ you can trap a ball on a flipper and hold the buy in button to pause the game. I actually use this feature a lot on that game with young kids and wish all games had a similar feature. I can't remember what the limit is (maybe 10-15 minutes), but it's perfect for those times where you have to rush away for a minute or two which in my case is often!

With modern pc based games like Hobbit I wouldn't think it would be that hard to save your current game state in a file. It wouldn't have to be mid ball but maybe at the start of the next ball you could hold the lockdown button and the start button in succession and it could allow you to save that status using your initials. You can then power off the game and after starting the next game you press the lockdown bar and start button again and punch in those initials and it loads the progress from before. It's the same thing they've been doing in video games since Zelda 30 years ago. As games get deeper and game times longer it really only makes sense to do something like this.

#9980 3 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

It shouldn't be that hard. On TZ you can trap a ball on a flipper and hold the buy in button to pause the game. I actually use this feature a lot on that game with young kids and wish all games had a similar feature. I can't remember what the limit is (maybe 10-15 minutes), but it's perfect for those times where you have to rush away for a minute or two which in my case is often!
With modern pc based games like Hobbit I wouldn't think it would be that hard to save your current game state in a file. It wouldn't have to be mid ball but maybe at the start of the next ball you could hold the lockdown button and the start button in succession and it could allow you to save that status using your initials. You can then power off the game and after starting the next game you press the lockdown bar and start button again and punch in those initials and it loads the progress from before. It's the same thing they've been doing in video games since Zelda 30 years ago. As games get deeper and game times longer it really only makes sense to do something like this.

I think the game save state is a great idea and I would love to see it implemented on a game like the Hobbit which can have very long game times. I think the one caveat is once a save state is loaded, it should be deleted so you could not continue to resume a game from that same spot over and over again.

#9981 3 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

I think the game save state is a great idea and I would love to see it implemented on a game like the Hobbit which can have very long game times. I think the one caveat is once a save state is loaded, it should be deleted so you could not continue to resume a game from that same spot over and over again.

Yeah you'd also have to do something where after saving the game that it automatically ends your game and puts the game back in attract mode so that you can't keep replaying the ball over again.

#9982 3 years ago

Game save is brilliant idea. I'm confident JJP will add it if we ask. They seem like that type of company....reasonable.

#9983 3 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

and the bash the spider ones.

I LOVE bash the spider, its so close to the flippers its dangerous and simple at the same time.
Its so simple and yet half of the time I cant even hit the spider LOL!

#9984 3 years ago

Maybe I missed this somewhere but what does the "+ Black Arrow support." mean? Also on JJPs description here:

"Hobbit Game Code 1.90 is ready for download. Now featuring the Battle of Five Armies, completing our 3 wizard mode inserts to the game. Scores are better balanced and a new bonus mechanic was added to this update, for players to enjoy. Download today and email us photos of your next pinball session to be featured"

What is the new bonus mechanic?

Thanks.

#9985 3 years ago
Quoted from halpain24:

I think it has to do with the mix and match multipliers possibly represented in the new hex or other shaped icons when you look at the award on the screen during mode completion.

Sadly its not a newly hired staff member who comes to your house....

#9986 3 years ago
Quoted from halpain24:

Thanks.

From the changelog:

+ Mode/map bonuses.
- At the end of each mode, you can earn up to 3 different kinds of bonuses:
1. Timer Bonus (not shown on total screen right now): Each second you
have left when you win a mode gets added to MULTIPLIABLE bonus.
The points earned are 1+2+3... for each second you have remaining.
2. Map Bonus: If the map is beyond where the mode takes place, you
earn +25% mode total in unmultiplied end-of-ball bonus. For each
completion of the map (got to super spinner), you get an additional
+50% added.
3. Previous Mode Bonus: Each mode now has a completion percent
associated with it (shown on grand total page). Each mode can have
0-3 "feeder" mode associated with it. For each feeder mode, you
earn a percentage bonus based on the total completion percentage of
the feeder modes. Each feeder mode is displayed on the grand total
page, dim if you haven't played the feeder, and solid if you have.
Good luck finding some good feeder combinations! All of the feeders
"make sense" (at least to me) in terms of how they relate to future
covered modes, so some can probably be guessed pretty easily.

#9987 3 years ago
Quoted from halpain24:

Maybe I missed this somewhere but what does the "+ Black Arrow support." mean?

The "Black Arrow SE" is a new version of the machine which has new armor, black balls, flipper bats (I believe) and a special attract mode.

https://store.jerseyjackpinball.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=82

#9988 3 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

The "Black Arrow SE" is a new version of the machine which has new armor, black balls, flipper bats (I believe) and a special attract mode.
https://store.jerseyjackpinball.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=82

He's talking about an item in hobbit update not the machine edition.

#9989 3 years ago
Quoted from Jeekayjay:

Right...the changelog mentions:

+ Black Arrow support.

Which I assume means the code has something in it to support the Black Arrow version of the machine.

#9990 3 years ago
Quoted from Jeekayjay:

Right, but that item in the software is for the BA edition only...I.e. Special attract mode, graphic colors.

#9991 3 years ago

i finally got the email today! mine ships next week and finally get a membership to the club!

#9992 3 years ago
Quoted from ls1chris:

i finally got the email today! mine ships next week and finally get a membership to the club!

I'm with you, so excited!

#9993 3 years ago
Quoted from ls1chris:

Mind if I ask when you placed your order? Trying to get a feeling for how far along the queue they are.

#9994 3 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

Right...the changelog mentions:
+ Black Arrow support.
Which I assume means the code has something in it to support the Black Arrow version of the machine.

Thanks for the help. I guess that's why it threw me off. I didn't understand why the black arrow would have a different code if the game is the same. But if attract mode is different that makes more sense.

#9995 3 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

A lot of us actually enjoy those what you are calling filler modes. I like the hurry up ones and the shoot the ramp ones and the bash the spider ones.

When you aren't the best player in the world, an easy to achieve mode is a blessing!!

#9996 3 years ago

I agree the game is tough enough for new and casual players ... if you are a good player you will be able to see more content for sure. The way it is supposed to be.

#9997 3 years ago

Is anyone putting protectors (Cliffy or otherwise) on the holes?

I typically don't like Cliffys because despite what so many say, it does impact gameplay and shots to holes with them on them. However, I really don't want to damage the holes if that is going to be a concern.

Thoughts?

#9998 3 years ago

In a home use environment I'm not worried about adding protection to the holes.

#9999 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Please go into Tests - Switches - Matrixed and bang on playfield. Make sure you don't have a sensitive switch issue.

Quoted from LTG:

Quoted from whthrs166:
I've had no problem with 1.90P or 1.90
LTG : )

Quoted from LTG:

Boy don't I feel like a big dummy! Thanks LTG. I guess I was thrown off by the fact that the machine had no such problem til I loaded 1.90. Go figure!

#10000 3 years ago

Damn....I got 3/4 way thru the download and the JJP site crashed. Thats a long download to start all over again tomorrow or monday....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 21.00
Machine - For Sale
Flagstaff, AZ
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
6,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Portage, IN
$ 29.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 200 of 201.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside