47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballrulez.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

272 posts in this topic match your search for posts by pinballrulez. You are on page 1 of 2.
#122 10 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

That really depends on when the have access to the assets from the third movie. They have to have time to update graphics, art, video and game play to incorporate stuff from the last movie in the trilogy.

They already have access to all that stuff. They are only not allowed to show anything without permission.

2 weeks later
#196 10 years ago
Quoted from Hogbog:

That would be me. I like to think I'm pretty different. Lights will not be daisy chained, GI will be different, inserts not blinding.
Plus it's going to be a fun game, because I'm one of the biggest Tolkien fans around, and rules are discussed among everyone on the team.

Thanks for sharing this

#198 10 years ago
Quoted from B9:

hobbit.jpg 66 KB

Really curious how the green targets in the outlanes are utilized

3 weeks later
#260 10 years ago
Quoted from BigOrange:

Does anyone have any thoughts (or even better, real insights) on what the next Hobbit update might include, and when that might happen? [Hobbit is getting next to no chatter on the JJP Google Forum].
Thanks!

No insights, but hope that the Ohio Pinball show would be the trigger

3 weeks later
#301 10 years ago
Quoted from Part_3:

They are all character pop-ups. This has been confirmed by the designer, as well as what you can see in this pic.

292.jpg 66 KB

The picture really tells nothing about that. It is just a very early whitewood with non-working mechanics in it.

As far as I know Joe has not confirmed that it will be character pop-ups.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From the Pinball Magazine August 2013:

Pinball Magazine: Can you reveal anything else about the blueprint?
One thing that comes up in discussions is the four rectangular mechs that are on the playfield. Those are the troll mechs from Medieval Madness.

Pinball Magazine: They look like they could have been trap doors like in Theatre of Magic as well.

Joe Balcer : It’s funny because the plan was somewhere in between. Are we going to use a trapdoor and three mechs, or do we go two and two? It really still hasn’t been decided, but for all practical purposes they will be the troll mechs.

For this game we have different characters. We have trolls, goblins, orcs - there are so many different characters and what they end up being depends on how the storyline works out as we start to put this thing together with rules. We’ll determine that when we get there, I guess.

Full article:
http://www.pinball-magazine.com/?p=1449

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Haven't seen any update on that subject since.

#303 10 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

The small item top center outside of the playfield is it mechanical?

14.jpg 119 KB

Probably a motor to drive the diverter on the ramps. But that is speculation.

#308 10 years ago
Quoted from Part_3:

"but for all practical purposes they will be the troll mechs."
Sounds clear to me.

If you quote than quote the whole phrase: It’s funny because the plan was somewhere in between. Are we going to use a trapdoor and three mechs, or do we go two and two? It really still hasn’t been decided, but for all practical purposes they will be the troll mechs.

I think what Joe means to say is for keeping the discussion clear we will refer to them as troll mechs. But there also can be trapdoors. So it is not decided yet or do you have some inside info

#360 10 years ago

8 days to go for a possible update

#394 10 years ago
Quoted from HENSBROOKER:

Guys, what do all these nonsense animations have to do with the Hobbit info??

American humor, no to be understood by Dutch guys

#399 10 years ago
Quoted from retired_user_101:

we now have hard evidence that the Hobbit pin is in fact a witch, and not a hobbit as we were previously led to believe.

ernie-hobbit-pin-pool.jpg 121 KB

#411 10 years ago

Hobbit whitewood.jpgHobbit whitewood.jpg

Anybody has a prediction on how the 2 targets are going be utilized in de red boxes?

#420 10 years ago

Maybe magnets will help hitting the targets.....

#424 10 years ago
Quoted from HENSBROOKER:

Possibility of re-entering the playfield as in 007's GoldenEye after bump-hitting a target??
- That would be awesome!!

I love thrust magnets

#427 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I heard that Jack will be speaking about The Hobbit at TPF this evening. Any update on if he said anything new?

Hmmm no news yet, nothing new mentioned on TPF. Don't mind. The longer the wait, the greater the fantasy and the bigger the suprise.........I hope

#428 10 years ago

Update from Jack:

I'm at DFW heading back to NJ via Atlanta.

The hour we had was very short. We got to stream a video of the Hobbit dashboard and animations but there was basically no wifi in that room.

I did say that I played one of the white wood Hobbits this past week at our Midwest Campus. The shots felt great, Joe and his Team are doing a great job with this game. It has a lot of strategy and shots and the game is more go than stop and go even with two magnets, diverters, under playfield action, Smaug interacting with the ball on both ends.

The art package from Jeff Busch, JP DeWin, and Matt Reisterer is awesome.

I've said it before, The Hobbit uses all of the 17 unused drivers that WOZ did not need so there is a lot going on.

We had a lot of fun at TPF, great show, great people, great games. It was nice to meet so many people for the first time and we appreciate the warm reception.....

#439 10 years ago

Not expecting anything and sure not feel entitled to 'must get an update' just because I almost paid the game in front.

Just happy with all updates that are coming how small or big they are

#455 10 years ago
Quoted from ozno:

Hobbit is far along I hear.
Cabinet and computer are the same as WOZ
Art is almost done
White wood is done
Toys are done, but waiting on Smaug
Software core code is there, but the rest is probably really early
I'm guessing that if Smaug gets finished and produced with no hiccups, they'll meet their date
This game is going to be insane!!!

How reliable is your source

#484 10 years ago

I feel that I get enough info.

One of the reasons that we not get all the info some expect is explained by Jack and that's because there are pending patents. So be glad it goes this way. New patents mean new stuff. Me like new stuff

And Jack says:

"When the playfield artwork is approved soon, we will certainly show that".

That is enough info for me to keep me going and sleep well

#520 9 years ago

Display animations update:

#521 9 years ago

Rollovers spell 'Lock'

I really like the animations and the sound.

#528 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

DAMN! That "Extra Ball" animation is very cool! Looks like there's been more than a few changes to the playfield layout too. There appears to be a lot more going on based off of the updated playfield layout.

Yes, 'extra ball' animation is cool. Look at the reflection in the ball, talking about detail

Playfield layout seems much more matured.

#557 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

display setup and looks are much better than WOZ. I like where it's heading. Might have to get one when you guys start dumping your games for the next new game you havn't played.

No chance I am gonna do that

#580 9 years ago

Is this the Hobbit update topic???

tumblr_n1mqa1y5AL1qkhtkto1_500.giftumblr_n1mqa1y5AL1qkhtkto1_500.gif

#667 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

From what I heard it sounds like playfield art cannot be released until the second movie is out on Blu Ray / DVD since the playfield uses assets from the first and second films. Jack did say that the cabinet and playfield use assets from the 1st and 2nd films while the third movie will be incorporated on screen as otherwise the game wouldn't ship on time

I do not understand this statement as I always thought that JJP has access to all assets of all three movies.

#700 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Presumably you want to actually see the game you're going to buy before it ships right? Tough to do if the playfield and cabinet contains NDA'd assets.

No, I do not want to see anything more. Seen enough for now

I always thought that JJP has access to all assets and can use them because TH is supposed to start shipping as the third movie comes out. I do understand that they cannot reveal anything from the third movie, but is makes no sense it has impact on the planned shipping date.

#832 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I don't know why the hell you guys want updates anyway? Personally, I don't want to know every star post added to the game. The way he handled WOZ was crappy. There was no element of surprise, every aspect of it, I saw as it was being done, so when I actually saw the game in person, it was very uneventful. the whole game had a MEH, element to it. If I would have knew nothing and saw nothing about it, until it was revealed at a show, it might have blew my balls off.
You guys around here can't wait for anything. Impulse buyers. How crappy would it be for you as a kid on xmas, if you knew and saw everything you were getting? IT would have sucked. I know because one year I did know and there wasn't any surprise there. The surprise is part of the experience. Learn how to wait, and the less you know, the more impact the game will have during a reveal.

Please note that not all buyers are impulsive. There are a lot of other reasons to support a product

Do agree about the WOW factor. But in the end you are the one that makes the decision to absorb all the facts and rumours or just sit and wait for the package to arrive.

#871 9 years ago

I really like all The Hobbit updates and all the non topic related stuff that has not been discussed before.

Thanks everyone for your well appreciated and constructive contribution and keeping this topic clean from bullsh$t.

#894 9 years ago
Quoted from HighNoon:

Again, looking from the drawings, I've always thought that Smaug will be a physical ball lock. When multiball starts, I think the balls will come out of his mouth like fire and end up on the habitrail. If you watch the new multiball animation in the update, it looks like the balls come out of his mouth.
--Luke

Good thinking. That is only one of the things that Smaug is

#896 9 years ago
Quoted from mummite:

Everything looks great! and thanks JJP for sharing the vids and info. Couple comments on the gameplay videos.
-Top right under Smaug looks like a POTC style spinning disc?
- What do you shoot for with the top left and right flippers?
- Looks like there is a ramp divertor in the top middle ramps to divert the ball L/R I bet that is player controlled ala Shadow.
- Pin apron looks like a map "very cool"
what are others thoughts from watching the videos?

Already some GI present

#900 9 years ago

I believe it is mentioned that he not only affects the top but also the bottom of the playfield. I think he will become pretty challenging and difficult to beat and he will give a twist to gameplay and strategy. He is fitted with AI

#947 9 years ago
Quoted from HENSBROOKER:

Sounds cool, but would not fit in the assembly as showed in the whitewood...

No worries......it is just a very very early produced whitewood

1 week later
#981 9 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Wow that is a cool idea! Two rows of flame inserts arching towards the flippers that are software controlled to create effect of fire burning on the pavement like in drag racing when they light them up!

Dont forget Smaug's laser controlled eyes

#983 9 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Hopefully a Disney-like Animatronics device. That would be cool.

That would be reallly cool and has lots of potential Maybe not in the budget, but nothing wrong with dreaming.....

1:29 till 1:43 don't think that dragon will fitt

2 weeks later
#987 9 years ago

From Gabe on JJP forum:

Great show and thank you to pinball star and jjp for having such a great presence at Allentown.

It was great talking to Jack and Jeff about the Hobbit. The game will be nothing short of amazing. What I can tell you is.....the rules are done just not programmed yet....the layout is done (some changes from what has been shown so far)....the third generation white wood is being built and should be done in a week or so. There are many more features that have not been relised. JJP is not trying to copy anyone they are making new innovations and raising the bar once again.

#1019 9 years ago

Most probably firts generation cabinet/backbox/playfield artwork Now they are at least working on third generation artwork I think

#1025 9 years ago

Cabinet and backbox art are the same as already shown in December 2013.

20131213_Cabinet art Full 2.jpg20131213_Cabinet art Full 2.jpg

Playfield art seems in line with the layout as shown in the back of the recent published early whitewood videos

20140409 Early whitewood.jpg20140409 Early whitewood.jpg

#1041 9 years ago

Playfield layout 201404.jpgPlayfield layout 201404.jpg

#1043 9 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Hmmm....where are the upper flippers?

Maybe they are there, picture is not sharp at some areas. I can hardly see the lower flippers.

#1048 9 years ago

Very curious what the text is above the popbumpers, trapdoors (looks like there are four different ones) and some of the drop targets

#1182 9 years ago

Interactive map on the apron

See posted interview videos with Jack on:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/awesome-tour-of-the-jjp-factory-pix-video-gameplay-and-more

#1189 9 years ago
Quoted from HENSBROOKER:

Was hoping to see a newsletter one of these days because the 15th of May payment date was due. But it seems a new payment schedule has come to live -> 15th of 6/7/8

I do not think that updates are coming out based on payment schedules because there are different ones.
After 15 July I am in the 'clear zone'

#1190 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

This is going to be huge. Interactive apron plus LCD = awesomness Can't wait for this game.
Of of the teaser videos for the game shows a map of Middle Earth on the LCD with different markers across it. It's possible that the markers represent each player and their "location" in Middle Earth which may represent where they are at in the game. I wonder if this feature of tracking your progress on the map of Middle Earth is what will appear on the apron?

I think that a hologram of the main characters of the movie will lead the way on the apron map
Nothing wrong with dreaming

#1192 9 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Maybe there will be another screen on the PF that would be cool.

You know more Dan.....tell us!

#1210 9 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

I do and its in addition to what's on the apron.

Go on.......

#1216 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

The third Hobbit movie clips and such won't be in the game until it releases on DVD/blu-ray. Not allowed.

Yes heard that too. I also believe it was said on the JJP forum that a couple of those clips will be incorperated in feature updates and it didn't impact the overall design of the game.

1 week later
#1228 9 years ago
Quoted from B9:

Has there been any new information ?

It is rumored an update will come soon. However, it has only been 6 weeks ago that the last update was released. In the meanwhile we have seen a 'teaser' picture with some of the playfield art revealed

#1230 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

personally, I hope they never do an update again. Then it just shows up at a show. Would be nice to have some secrets and get some actual Wow factor going on.

Totally agree.

Never going to read this thread again till Santa has delivered my present coming Christmas

1 week later
#1248 9 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Jack mentioned at the North West Pinball show that Jean-Paul de Win did the playfield art. He also mentioned that the upper left flipper was removed. A couple shots of the playfield art around the inlanes was shown.
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/48529172

Great video. Hobbit update from 21:08 till 24:20

In the video Jack says only 30% of The Hobbit has been revealed.

Here are some pictures I took from the video. Not the best quality but to give an impression:

The Hobbit LCD.jpgThe Hobbit LCD.jpg

The Hobbit Playfield left inlane.jpgThe Hobbit Playfield left inlane.jpg

The Hobbit Playfield right inlane.jpgThe Hobbit Playfield right inlane.jpg

Looks like the art is divided in a light and a dark part. Maybe a day and night mode will be included?

#1253 9 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

They took out flippers

Only the top left one

#1257 9 years ago

Jack said that the full playfield art was available on his tablet for those at the show who were interested.

Should not take long till the full playfield art will be made public.

#1258 9 years ago
Quoted from jrush2112:

I would not give jjp 2 (two) cents . how much bull shit can people take !!! You will get hobbit in like 2016 .

You are free not to listen to it, so spend your 2 cents elsewhere

#1259 9 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

I thought the same thing about that one wondering if they are do something cool in place of it ?

Just a slingshot from what I have heard

#1261 9 years ago
Quoted from TaTa:

He also said he'd have working protos in September to bang around on

I am available for testing

#1278 9 years ago

From the JJP forum:

As far as the Hobbit. Cabinet art work is the same. Left flipper has been removed and replaced with a sling shot with a axe on top. David Thiel is doing the pinball sound (2 steps from hell does the music) and Jean-Paul de Win is doing the playfield artwork.

Here's is a short impression of how David Thiel works:

#1285 9 years ago
Quoted from B9:

Thanks for sharing the pics

HOB.jpg 65 KB

What do you think. Are the big round holes there for GI?

#1291 9 years ago
Quoted from HENSBROOKER:

Rather interesting to see where the adjustable scoop the ball directs after kicker launch....
According to the tales the Dragon can only be killed by that single shot with the dragon-arrow bla bla.. Anyway hitting the targets on the right side makes no sense. But after seeing the ball gets directed to that upper right flipper, would indicate you have ONE opportunity to hit Smaug just right to defeat him.
So the ball is hold by the outlane pin, hit left button to launch ball and perfectly time your right flipper shot right after to hit Smaug on that 'certain' spot. Right?

Dragon_shot.jpg 250 KB

Quoted from dannunz:

They do have the ability to adjust the powered to all coils......

In combination with the comment of Dan this makes perfect sense. The strength\speed of the arrow shot can be controlled by adjusting the power to the coil. Maybe one part of the puzzle is solved now

#1308 9 years ago

Here it is:

PDF+-+JJP-TH-Plyfld-Art.pdfPDF+-+JJP-TH-Plyfld-Art.pdf

Playfield-PDF+(3) (1).pdfPlayfield-PDF+(3) (1).pdf

#1316 9 years ago
Quoted from a_derelict:

BINGO BANGO BONGO!
(that's me being excited)

That's you on your avatar then?

#1320 9 years ago

I do like the art.

The only thing I find a bit out of place is the fonts used for the names of all dwarves.

#1323 9 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Just as a head's-up... If you think you know how this game is going to play, I promise you you do not!

Me like

#1335 9 years ago

Do not see the magnets (upper playfield) either that were in the first drawings

#1338 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I know I criticized the art, but one thing I'm not at all worried about is the rules.

Pass your feedback of the art to Keith so he can bring it to JJP

#1359 9 years ago

The more I look at the art the more I like it. Yes, there is room for some improvements.

But man, the overall design and art really grows on you. If this continuous every day my feeling of happiness will rise to ecstatic

#1372 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

........... but the castle in MM has multiple interactive features. There's the draw bridge that moves up and down, the door that swings open, the wall shot towards the left and the "exploding" feature.

That is not interacting but reacting

#1382 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I actually haven't looked at a bare WOZ playfield image in a while, it's interesting to go back and examine it knowing what the final product looks like: WOZ-playfieldart.jpg 385 KB

I like The Hobbit better
Cannot wait for the plastics art to be added.

1 month later
#1394 9 years ago

Looks promising

The Hobbit - The Battle of the five armies.jpgThe Hobbit - The Battle of the five armies.jpg

#1402 9 years ago
Quoted from HighNoon:

Poster looks sweet. Hopefully we hear more about the Hobbit at the JJP open house.
--Luke

Unfortunately I cannot be there........too far away............

#1418 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

careful what you wish for ......Godzilla...cough...godzilla.......cough

he really dominates............

godzilla_14.jpggodzilla_14.jpg

#1420 9 years ago
Quoted from Jamaster10:

Heres my update on Hobbit. I shot the whitewood last week. Bad Ass Game
And Don't even Ask, the answer is no on info!!! LOL
Pincades
Chicago land JJP DIst
JT

Lucky you

Can you at least tell us what version of the whitewood you are referring to?

#1433 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead1982:

Someone show me something, I'm thinking of pulling out of HOBBIT. it's £6k over here ($10,200). With Predator coming I'm outta room and the wife on my case to sell one or cancel
Haven't really seen much on HOBBIT and it's only 4 months till release date
What to do!

Sell 2 of your current games

#1457 9 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

There are many things you have not seen yet and they are very cool.

Go on..........

1 month later
#1487 9 years ago

Jack posted on the JJP forum that they are working on an update

#1516 9 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Decent figures.
334.jpg 23 KB

Don't know what to say now. I think I must see them with a fully populated playfield.

If looked at individually I do find the Goblin look like a dog.

I think this was the example:
The Hobbit - Toys - Goblin.jpgThe Hobbit - Toys - Goblin.jpg

#1518 9 years ago
Quoted from TaTa:

I can't imagine that these will be used for bashing. Those ears would never be able to withstand a direct hit at so close of a distance and those details on their faces would wear down very quickly.. Must be utilized in a different manner. Any ideas how?

Trolls in MM had ears to. If bash toys I think they will have something behind them to enforce the total structure.

#1537 9 years ago

I know you have to let some things go when you want to integrate a toy into a pinball machine. But I really hoped that there was a good expression of the mood and that for as far as possible (hard to do on the spider) the overall look is anatomically correct. In that context the Warg looks okay, the Spider weird and the Orc and Goblin.................

Below is a high standard, but I don't think impossible to get (yes, see what Stern has achived with TWD)

The Hobbit - Azog.jpgThe Hobbit - Azog.jpg

#1720 9 years ago

Just hoping that a prototype will be revealed during the coming Expo in October to put all what has been shown into the context it should be in. Will put a lot of minds at ease I think

#1728 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballer0415:

It was said earlier in the thread that no prototype will be at the expo.

Missed that one then. Can you refer to it?

#1735 9 years ago

Page 34 second to last post

I already thought you referred to Dan's post. I think you should consider the Pinocchio he used there

#1739 9 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Seriously. I'd be really surprised if they don't reveal the prototype at Expo

To far away to attend Program looks really good.

#1767 9 years ago

You started the countdown.........

#1779 9 years ago
Quoted from HENSBROOKER:

Any news on The Hobbit from Jacks visit @ FREDDY's in Germany?

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I'm interested in knowing as well. If not we are only a few weeks away from Expo!

Checked the German forum:

http://www.flippermarkt.de/community/forum/showthread.php?t=146471&highlight=jack&page=6

But didn't find anything interesting there for now, except the talk of 3 videos that have been shown.
Maybe later they will be posted there.

#1789 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Thanks! It looks like Jack was talking about The Hobbit at the event. Jack appears to be showing off some pictures of a more completed version of the game. You can see lit LED's and drop targets in the second picture below. It also looks like someone was there capturing video of the event. Now we just need to find the video

O09A3254.JPG 152 KB

O09A3255.JPG 157 KB

I asked Jack on the JJP forum if he would like to show the material he used for his presentation.
Maybe he will.......maybe he won't

#1825 9 years ago
Quoted from B9:

Zooming in doesn't provide any additional clarity

H.jpg 22 KB

I used the enhance feature

The Hobbit Playfield detail 20100921.jpgThe Hobbit Playfield detail 20100921.jpg

#1828 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

So the slingshot axes really are flat plastic?

Yes, looks like it.

No interaction, present pure for cosmetic and effects I think.

#1833 9 years ago
Quoted from oyvindmo:

To me it looks like there's a cut-out in the slingshot plastic to allow the axe to move towards the centre of the playfield, so I guess it's attached to the slingshot kicker. I would call that interaction.

Interaction for me is that it will influence the ball in any way (bounce, block etc.) and I do not see that happening. The sling will bounce the ball and the axe will move along. I would call that reaction

#1869 9 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

This is semantics. Did anyone ever think these were going to "interact" with the ball? They're essentially the same thing as the Boogie Men on Scared Stiff. Now, whether you like the flat plastic vs. expecting them to be 3D molds, that is a different question.

I never said the axes would interact.................

#1876 9 years ago

Looking forward to the day my Hobbit arrives.

#1909 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Do we know if the standups in the lower playfield are placeholder or final?
-mof

Maybe they get decals on them?

#1947 9 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

I believe this has been talked about before. Stand up targets with drops in front of them.

Yes I know that. I think the question is will the stand ups be blue and red, or will it be an other color or will they get decals on them?

#1975 9 years ago

And I just thought it couldn't get any worse.......................... What were you thinking?

#1978 9 years ago
Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

Id rather look at camel toe then read the tripe crazy has been posting incessantly. Yes forums are to discuss but youve got your point across 800 pages ago.

There are other ways to make your point. But some people here just like to cross the line. Sad!

#2029 9 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

I strongly advise you to not drop your hobbit pre order till after expo!

He did mean to say: 'After you have seen The Hobbit in full at the expo you will definitely not even think for a second on canceling your pre order'

#2038 9 years ago
Quoted from Santeh:

Forgive me, yet which expo might that be?
Ta!

Here you go

PE 2014.pdfPE 2014.pdf

1 week later
#2115 9 years ago

I keeps getting more confusing.......what 'standard features' will The Hobbit have....how many version will there be?

Info on the sites of distributors has not much consistency. There even will be a standard version?

http://www.hemispheresamusements.com/new-pinball-inventory

The Hobbit standard.jpgThe Hobbit standard.jpg

The Hobbit LE.jpgThe Hobbit LE.jpg

From what I collected from internet sources the LE will have:

- No topper
- Wooden apron with map
- Cabinet and backbox decals
- Invisiglass
- Shaker
- Powdercoated legs and siderails

Kind of weird we have to wait till the expo for any confirmations....

#2120 9 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

Read again no invisaglass on LE optional only

I have read it and the invisiglass was confirmed by someone here on the forum. He got a reply from Jack stating that both invisiglass and shaker will be present in the LE model.

The source in the link I am not referring to. My point is a lot of distributors show different specs. Nothing officially confirmed until today......

#2123 9 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

If you want to know...just CALL JACK...

Hmmmm....seems to me JJP has the give information duty and the buyer not the get information duty.

#2127 9 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

It has been almost 2 YEARS with no information about a 'regular' edition or what features the LE version will have differently and you're just now stating that it's weird you have to wait another week to hear the details at Expo?? You've waited this long, what's another week?

That is your conclusion I stated it before. And indeed, just a week to go.

#2131 9 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

In other hobbit news.....new poster out today. Really like that image of Bilbo more than any of the other pics seen so far in the marketing materials. Hopefully this image of Bilbo will appear on the backglass, because he really looks badass Can't wait!

The_Hobbit__The_Battle_of_the_Fi... 42 KB

Looks good.

This one has been posted before. Looks good too.
Hobbit-3-Poster.jpgHobbit-3-Poster.jpg

#2132 9 years ago

I certainly hope this will make it into the pin (starting from 1:43)

#2146 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm looking forward to TBL the most at Expo, but if there's a full Hobbit reveal I'm definitely pumped to see the full thing.

Quoted from lllvjr:

Booked my room.. I will be at expo Thursday and Friday

Hope you guys make a nice new thread with updates for the ones that are left behind

#2153 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

I can post live info as jack announces for sure. Ill be sitting there

Thanks!

#2157 9 years ago

New backglass means bigger LCD!?

#2189 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

It's where I wanted to put the camera... But not happening.

Oke, but does it house a cool feature?

#2191 9 years ago
Quoted from jrawlinson_2000:

Just 1 week now, and we will all see the Hobbit!!!
I'm really excited to see it, sadly from a far in the UK, but looking forward to photos and videos from the Expo.

Very excited about what the expo will bring.

From Jack on JJP forum:

'I was in our Midwest Campus - the guys there are finishing up many things. They are building a few games, One for Expo, One for NJ - Production, One for Europe, One for Australia and a few for IAAPA.'

So maybe you can see one in person soon. Personally I hope you have to travel to The Netherlands for it

4 weeks later
#2223 9 years ago
Quoted from HENSBROOKER:

Did anyone else see the pin too?!?

You are funny

#2224 9 years ago
Quoted from kidvid:

Let's say for the sake of argument that JJP was shown an early (but probably mostly edited) version of the 3rd film 6 months ago, and that they started to incorporate art and sound assets from the 3rd film into a prototype late summer.
I don't see how JJP could pull this off without having multiple physical prototypes, unless they were never planning on doing any demos and we can see that wasn't in the cards because they have done two demos so far with another coming later this month.
That would mean that the prototype that people are seeing now is probably a very old prototype, at least one major revision behind.

Jean-Paul de Win stated during his presentation on the DPO 2014 that they do not have access to any of assets of the third movie. However, he did mention they received some kind of script so they know how the story goes.

Indeed the cabinet art seems to be an exception.

#2226 9 years ago
Quoted from kidvid:

That seems like a very strange way to structure the contract with the movie studio - create a pin based on 3 movies but don't expect any of the art assets from the 3rd movie. If I had to guess, I'd say that maybe the way the movie studio designed it was that they were under no obligation to provide the assets. I'm guessing from the cabinet art that something might have voluntarily changed though.

Agreed, but that is what he said. He also showed things (like fonts) that are accessible through a portal of WB. All symbols, fonts etc. must come from that portal no custom things allowed. I believe the whole presentation is in audio only available on Pinballnews.com

1 week later
#2282 9 years ago

Alex, will the SE have a gold shooter rod? As shown also in the brochure. The one on the picture has a silver one.

#2298 9 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

And what about the image in the middle between the speakers?

It is a decal.

#2303 9 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

thks for ruining my hopes

Sorry it was already there on the pin at the expo. But don't let your hopes go It was said the area will get a function in future games. Or we can hope for an upgrade on existing games?

#2335 9 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

People are really clueless and naive to what was presented at expo, the game was a prototype.

Nothing and I say again nothing to do with naivity. And yes, we were left clueless due to a very poor presentation and even worse communication.

Hope Jack is doing it better this time. He already said that not all changes are implemented in the 2 models that are shown during the IAAPA but he will publish a list that contains updates for the production model.

#2406 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

More

hobbit1.jpg 92 KB

hobbit2.jpg 112 KB

hobbit3.jpg 102 KB

hobbit4.jpg 108 KB

Alex, does the gold Smaug color change much due to the light behind it?

#2411 9 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

I think I read that somewhere. Or you can at least get a red Smaug and swap it out. If I still had my preorder, that's what I was going to do.
I agree with you - too much gold.

It is confirmed that SE owners can get a red Smaug.

However, I do not know before what date you have to confirm that.

#2425 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

The ball flow has changed with the pops and an open drop out. Thats a core design change.

Alex, does the following update of the playfield impact the way Beowulf is used:

- Closed entrance to shooter lane from outlane

#2435 9 years ago

So, first impression after processing the new PF art.

Sorry to say but the old art now looks like......you know
Man, not only do the colors pop out, is the color scheme much much better, but also everything comes out more detailed. And the new apron art, love it!

Also like the open space between the pops and bag end. Gives room for new shots and rules.

Very very well done JJP team.

#2569 9 years ago

Keith, can you reveal something about the ruleset? Tired of talking about art

#2690 9 years ago

I love the new playfield art and apron. Only got one point I would like to give feedback on:

- Why are the lower trapdoors not colored in the same color scheme (red\yellow\brown\orange) as the top trap doors that match the surrounding colors?

#2727 9 years ago

Is there a sling above the drop targets on the left? Looks like there was fairly early in the video.

Yes that is correct

#2855 9 years ago

As there is no way to say something at this point about the fun factor of this game as no real rule set is implemented we all tend to judge it by looking at the layout.

As it is very difficult to imagine how things will become, most of the time you make a comparison with stuff you already know or have seen. With that being said, a lot of people say TH has a fan layout with long shots and it is not fast but also not slow. Taking those points into consideration one pin comes to mind and I find it a very fun one, STTNG.

#2890 9 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

I am ok with this. But it's time to know what is a done deal and what is still object of discussion.
I bugged my distributor in emails to change from LE to SE. Now with Smaug so prominent on the new playfield and the disapointing golden smaug. I like the look of the LE better.
If I now start to bug my distributor again to change back to LE he will think that I am crazy.
I am sure this game will be great. I like what I see. But if I will get the version of this game that I really want is still some kind of gambling.

Jersey Jack Pinball
Updated Hobbit Playfield Artwork!

Updates Revealed at IAAPA:

In games at the show
+ Book LCD
+ Replaced VUK exit chutes with wireforms
+ Bumper enter/exit through Bag End (removed "Switch Mode" targets)
+ Laser etched Ramp lettering / RGB LEDs underneath
+ Smaug™ sculpt redesign
+ Gold pile in front of Smaug™
+ Columns, gold pile & lighting in upper left
+ Flasher lighting/domes (3 on left side, 3 on right side, 1 gold pile, 1 pop bumper)
+ New art on playfield plastics
+ Action button and RGB LED
+ New decals - arch, shooter, drops, ramps, spinners
+ 2 RGB LED Smaug™ lighting
+ Redesigned bumper barrels to accommodate book LCD
+ New backglass art
+ New drop target colors
- Closed entrance to shooter lane from outlane

Yet to come for production:

+ New playfield art
+ Bumper 10pt switch between top and right (through-the-bumper shot)
+ Beast GI lighting
+ Smaug™ eyes lighting (single color)
+ Laser-cut ramp gate with added GI lighting
+ Smaller axes on slings

#2955 9 years ago

As I was discussing the playfield layout of TH with one of my pinball friends we both came to the conclusion that you cannot judge a pin on layout only. Interesting to see is what theme, art, music, sound effects, rules and animations can add to the layout of a pin and give it an identity

Take a look at The Sopranos and Lord of the Rings. Do you see it

#3041 9 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

So far what we have seen of the Smaug "toy" or "area" is the same thing, a spinning talking head, and that's all. What else will "Smaug" do? Inquiring minds want to know. Clearly its not going to be the animatronic pinball juggling robot dragon (I'm only partially joking) that we were hoping for, but it could still be cool.

I think the second vuk, magnet, diverter, subway and additional programming (movement, light effects and sound\ sound effects) will make this a way more cool 'toy' than most of us expect. It only gets better

#3045 9 years ago

Anyone figure out how the Windlance is going to work? Looks that the feed from the habitrails is not complete in the models shown so far.

The brochure says: 3 way left ramp can deliver ball to inlane, Smaug or Windlance.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#3171 9 years ago

A mock-up of the new Golden Smaug head in the game as shown on 'Pinball News'

The new one is so much better, the head really pops out now. Me like

20141125_54.jpg20141125_54.jpg

http://www.pinballnews.com/games/hobbit/index13.html

#3172 9 years ago

And the old one for comparison

53.jpg53.jpg

#3201 9 years ago
Quoted from vega:

What a shame

I find toppers way overrated. And they add nothing to gameplay. I will not miss a topper for TH

#3246 9 years ago

Alternative Smaug cabinet art for one side?

87327.jpg87327.jpg

#3288 9 years ago

Does this mean 'it' is ready

http://hobbitworldpremierelive.uk/

2 weeks later
#3359 9 years ago

Robin really should open a chatroom here on Pinside............

#3361 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Easy to do. Pinside live chat? Have him point DNS and me and i'll host it

Alex, always to the rescue

Now please post that new TH SE video

#3459 9 years ago
Quoted from PorkChopExpress:

i fixed it for ya. have fun with your incomplete game bro.

O o

#3467 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Name one widebody that is a fast playing game?

DM

#3480 9 years ago

What a non discussion. Yes a widebody probably never plays as fast as a non widebody. Never played IM but I did have a TS and that is what I call a fast game. In the end though you are comparing apples with.......

I played TH and it is not fast but certainly not slow. It has good flow for a widebody. I see some similarities in the playfield layout between TH and Sttng. I like that pin a lot. And with all the new technology, cool (story based) rules, sound, SFX and animation I think TH is going to be a lot of fun and that is what counts.

#3482 9 years ago

Hope to go to Germany on 27 December to see (SE model) and play The Hobbit there.

Jack confirmed that the version as shown at Automated Services https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-update-1/page/66#post-2102977 is pretty close to the production model. I think the only changes to be made are teeth and LED lights for Smaug and smaller axes on the slings. Also the cabinet art on the SE is final. So same picture for left and right side of cabinet.

#3486 9 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

So the post in the other thread where someone is saying there could still be tons of stuff to suprise us with, is probably wishful thinking.

I cannot tell that. If Jack told me it wouldn't be a surprise anymore He did say something like this: "We cannot make more changes, it is time to get those pins out'

#3488 9 years ago
Quoted from DrDoom:

Unfortunately I can't go to Freddys Pinball Paradise an 27.12.
Have fun there with the SE Hobbit and the other 170 pinballs, it's really great there!

If I can make it and will post some stuff here. The Place indeed looks great.

#3496 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinister:

Bag end is not finished, Smaug is not finished, left side wires not finished, code is definitly not finished. When jack says no more changes I think what he meant is that the machine is not completed as planned but there will be no more changes for what he has planned.. It does not mean the proto type is finished. Do not dissappoint yourself by assuming or speculation. I am sure when this game is complete we will all still be in the WoW factor.

The change list was published before the game went to Automated Services. And the only things to do from that proto to production model are Smaug teeth, eyes, beast GI and smaller axes I believe.

They recently had a professional photoshoot. Why do that if a lot of changes still have to be made.

Don't get me wrong. I do like to get some pleasant surprises, but Jack saying no more changes and with all the other cards on the table I do not see that happening.

#3503 9 years ago

No golden ball shooter housing?

#3524 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Order a free sample swatch from prismaticpowders.com

Alex, does the SE version have a mat gold finish or a polished one?

Do you happen to know if the version that will be at Freddy's Pinball Palace has the powder coat that also will be used on the production SE model?

#3528 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Neither and I'm pretty sure it will be. It's neither polished nor matte. It's an aged gold look purposefully. Iron pyrite base which is a real metal not a fake flake.

Thanks. Up to Freddy's then to see the art in person

P.s. will the shooter housing also get powder coated or will it be left silver?

#3537 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

No unfortunately. It's not brassy at all. It's a metallic gold but doesn't look like mustard which is nice

It is the 'Alex Special mix' cannot go wrong with that

#3559 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

Hope to go to Germany on 27 December to see (SE model) and play The Hobbit there.
Jack confirmed that the version as shown at Automated Services https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-update-1/page/66#post-2102977 is pretty close to the production model. I think the only changes to be made are teeth and LED lights for Smaug and smaller axes on the slings. Also the cabinet art on the SE is final. So same picture for left and right side of cabinet.

Due to the very bad weather with lots of snow I couldn't make the trip from The Netherlands to Germany

Anyone here on the forum been to Freddy's and can give us an update on The Hobbit?

#3560 9 years ago

Someone on the German forum uploaded some pictures.

http://www.directupload.net/galerie/411875/QJ3uYvQv3G/0

I think this is the exact same proto as shown at Automated.

#3563 9 years ago

And a video also from the German forum

https://vimeo.com/115532046

#3566 9 years ago
Quoted from jazc4:

Wow. That video is awesome. The finished product will rock. Now I just have to make the final decision of LE or SE.

And the LE version as shown at the Dutch Pinball open.
Not much there for art comparison, but you can get a good impression of the color of the powder coat.

http://vimeo.com/110725499

#3611 9 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

I think he is waiting for the photo shoot pics to be received so he can have the best representation of the LE and SE.

Bit late for that if you force your customers to make a decision before 1 January 2015

2 weeks later
#3660 9 years ago

This was posted on the facebook page of Pinball Heaven.

Doesn't give a total view of the SE model but I do find the gloss way overdone. You cannot actually see what is pictured, but you can see the reflection. Not looking for a mirror on my cabinet.

20150113 The Hobbit.jpg20150113 The Hobbit.jpg

#3667 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I hope to set those exact three games next to each other in about 6 months...except ECWOZ green and Stainless trim MMr. They look great!

Lucky lucky you

#3668 9 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I found this preview EAG video link in another thread as well...
» YouTube video

Phil has a nice accent Looking very good. Maybe the gloss is due to the viewing angle. Have to see it in real life I think. London is not that far away .....

#3674 9 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

It looks the same hardware already seen with a software update - so I would think that this is still not the final package on the hardware side. Just a guess though...
I think there is more recent cab with PF updates that they are developing with internally and not yet shipping to, and demoing, at Expos.

Do you think, hope or know

#3675 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Yes, I feel very lucky to be able to do this...I do have to sell two machines between now and then. First world problems. Hmmm...Flintstones, JP, and JM are the most likely "victims".

Hmmm tough choice. I think I would hold on to JM love the speed. JP and the Flinstones are fun too.

#3710 9 years ago

Received 2 videos from David. Rotated them and uploaded them to Youtube. Here are the results:

Thanks David

#3714 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead1982:

The video looks very blurry, shall I send it again in HD.

That is okay for me, but I am at work at the moment so it could take a while before the updated videos get posted.

#3755 9 years ago
Quoted from B9:

Take a look at how the interface has changed from the original posting at the beginning of this thread (12 months ago)
Original

Current

HOB-INT-0.jpg 158 KB

HOB-INT-1.jpg 212 KB

The LCD layout and usage is awesome.

#3772 9 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

I like it. Just not there.
They could have had a potentially nice scenic area around there (with the orcs up on the cliffs firing down on the dwarfs that are bouncing around in the barrels)...but instead they are force feeding the LCD into an area that it shouldn't be in (and taking out some nice stuff like the dwarf in the barrel just to make it fit) and to me it looks terribly out of place.
IMHO the LCD would be much better served located in the apron, there appears to enough room for it so why not? (and they did hint early in the development process that the apron would be different...)....

I was talking about the big LCD that the comparison of pictures was about. Not the one on the playfield. I spoke with Jack about that one a while ago and he told me in firm words that area isn't going to change. But....never say never

#3784 9 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Didn't they say they had a better book casing to house the LCD? The one it's in looks pretty weak.

Jack said that the bezel and stand are final.

(subject to change with or without notice)

#3785 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

DOn't know why your getting thumbs down for that. It's fact. Look at the hobbits shot pattern. Is there anything that upper flipper can hit that you can't hit with the normal flippers? That is a useless flipper. That is the definition of useless flipper. You can't thumbs down that without really understanding it.
TOmmy has an upper flipper. Also has shots that can only be obtained from that flipper
Batman Forever, TZ, TAF, FH.....all have shots that HAVE to have that flipper to be made. If you can make it with the bottom flippers, there is no sense in having it.

Unless it is used for a combo shot That is were the rules come into place.

#3836 9 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

Thanks for the info.
That's too bad... For me, the left side is a little underwhelming so I was hoping for a possible change for the better in the upper right side. I'm dumbfounded they look at that and say "Yes! we nailed it!"... Anyways, I called my distributor and he said I can get my money back for a little while longer...so I'll continue to cross my fingers for a positive playfield update...if not, P3 seems interesting...

It is just info, maybe we get some surprises maybe not.

With all due respect (and I did it also), I think there is too much focus on the looks here. Yes, everyone has their preferences but in the end it is about how the game plays, lastability and the fun factor. I had my doubts along the way (pre ordered on 19 December 2012) but things are coming together now. The looks will not be perfect, but I think the gameplay, rules, SFX, music and animation make more than up for that and this is going to be a great pin

#3871 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

It's a waste of production money and resources. That mech isn't cheap. PPL charges $36+ for a flipper unit. So you know JJP is probably paying $12 something a unit. That's a lot of expense for production. You can create a lot of stuff for $12. Things that would be more fun, or more visually appealing. Just to have that expense for maybe a combo bonus with that flipper? Kinda lame. About as good as Demo man when you use the triggers and get the million point bonus per shot.

We will see how it turns out. It is not always easy to give comment on something that does not represent the final product.

#3968 9 years ago
Quoted from HENSBROOKER:

That's not true... I have heard Jack mentioning the contract thing several times!

May just be 'bad' marketing. A lot of things have been said, but most things are not supported by any kind of evidence.

#3993 9 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

I assume the button is for the windlance/kickback fire option...it could also be for the diverter but I don't think so (it would be awkward for that use, imagine playing Shadow with the diverter buttons on the lockdown bar).
At one point there was talk about having multiple buttons on the sides of the cabinet (I think that was from JJP people but I could be wrong)...guess that was flushed along with a few other things.

The button has been discussed by Keith. Cannot find the info right now, but I can tell this.

Shadow is an ultra fast game and to keep up with the pace all buttons should be directly at your disposal. The Hobbit will be another game and it might just give you the opportunity to take more time to decide and more time to move you hand to a button. So it might very well be possible that the lockbar button controls the diverter.

#3997 9 years ago
Quoted from ls1chris:

yup me too.
any idea what the two magnets under the ramps would be used for? up at the top of the pf under the ramps seems an unusual place to put magnets.

I believe they control in what lane the bal will drop. Either in the pop bumper area, or to the hole that goes to the subway and than guides the ball either to the left or the right VUK.

All above might as well be controlled by the player?

Hobbit mangnets.jpgHobbit mangnets.jpg

20140814 Playfield 2.jpg20140814 Playfield 2.jpg

20141213_331884.jpg20141213_331884.jpg

1 week later
#4086 9 years ago

Animations look very good. All is in balance there.

Not impressed with sound and SFX but I am confident that will turn out great as well.

And yes, the second LCD is still not very well integrated. Not sure if moving it to the apron will be better due to the not so optimal viewing angle?

#4091 9 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

I disagree, the apron is ideal, close to where your eyes are (flipper area) at least 50% of the time when playing. Top right corner is useless.

I did not say it is in the ideal spot right now. But please tell me how you would see the LCD integrated in the apron.

For what I see it either should be in the left or right area of the apron. In the middle there seems to be not enough room. By viewing angel I mean if the LCD lies flat in the apron will the image not be of lesser quality due to the bad viewing angel?

#4105 9 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

Yeah, if you are 4' tall, I'm 6' 8". For most it should be a pretty straight on view.

Oke, hope to see an update from JJP soon to show us what they have done with the unfinished areas.

#4204 9 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

Would really like to see a good photo of each head inside the pin to determine which I prefer.

I still think the gold one will better intergrate with the gold pile and light effects. But agree we have to see pictures or even better, videos

#4257 9 years ago

We can discuss endlessly about if what you get is worth your money. For me it cannot be based on toys only, as toys are highly overrated. It is the total package. And for all pins I played in over 38 years, visuals and toys can be nice or even great, but as far as I am concerned do not have the biggest influence on the fun factor of a game.

Concerning TH, yes it has been a bumpy ride. If you are still riding you probably decided it is worth the wait to see the final total package. Could it have been better, maybe but no one knows as we still have not seen the finished product. So only time will tell.............

#4262 9 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

Just what do you think you will see change at this point all is done but code

I do not expect to see anything. Things that will certainly improve are sound, SFX and rules. Animations are already great and will only get better. If other changes are made that will be a bonus.

I got a nice spot reserved in the living room and hope to see TH there before the summer. Time for production.

#4314 9 years ago

Decals!:

#4392 9 years ago
Quoted from Bostonbuzz:

Make your own call but I had one installed on my WOZECLE and after many plays decided to have one installed on my Hobbit LE. No chipping or wear anywhere on the play field or around any kick out holes. The play field beneath is as good as new and protected will remain that way for years.

Really weird that you have to protect a 9000 dollar investment against chipping and playfield wear when played huo. If damage happens in such an environment that quick you are facing a major quality problem. Just my opinion.

1 week later
#4436 9 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

Any updates? New pics? New video? Something positive to report???
Need my Hobbit fix!!!!

Quoted from B9:

I know the feeling

Nothing at the moment, not even on the JJP forum
Hope to hear sometime soon. I am ready for the Hobbit

#4446 9 years ago

Off topic: glad Zen Pinball has released 2 original themed pins

So kill some time with playing those on the PS4.
Check out what a dragon can do

#4468 9 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

So after two years there are still on the prototype

It is all in the name. Prototype, pre production model.......Let's just hope that the game will ship soon. The other discussions are getting old.

#4472 9 years ago
Quoted from HENSBROOKER:

Are you in for a bet pinballrulez? I have a strong feeling I will have my TBL earlier than you your TH...

You sure do I think with all your connections

1 week later
#4606 9 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

I'm not okay with this at all. Again, this is just my opinion, but why would I want to pay two, even three times, what I would normally have to pay in order to see one story unfold on the big screen? This awful trend started with Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, has continued with The Hobbit and The Hunger Games, and will continue with The Avengers 3. Hollywood saw people were willing to shell out over $20 to see essentially one story filled with garbage in order to make two (and in the case of The Hobbit, three) movies, and they are going to run all the way to the bank with it.

In respect of making a pinball machine I think you only profit from more material being available.

1 week later
#4636 9 years ago

I am soooooooooooooo ready for this pin. Bring it on

#4653 9 years ago

I am soooooooooooooo ready for this pin. Bring it on

What I said

#4663 9 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

No worries!
I'm sure the game will be released in April 2016.

Thanks Captain. Your clarity is appreciated.

#4686 9 years ago

I do not want to criticize the playfield protector too much (and I do think you should not need one on a HUO game anyway) but it seems to become quit cloudy as shown in the following picture. Did someone notice this when playing the game?

What is interesting to me is the spot with the red mark around it. Is it an extendable post?

Hobbit post.jpgHobbit post.jpg

#4688 9 years ago

What is interesting to me is the spot with the red mark around it. Is it an extendable post?

Quoted from TaTa:

Jack said "YES"

Player controlled?

#4691 9 years ago

Thanks for the update TaTa.

Any update on how the habitrail is used for feeding the windlance? And is the windlance and diverter coming under control of the player?

#4694 9 years ago
Quoted from TaTa:

Thanks for asking. The more you do, the more I seem to remember!
The lock down button will be used to fire the wind lance, control the ramp diverter and mentioned that it would control other things as well. As for how the wind lance is implemented...well that would have been a great follow up question.

Haha you are welcome Let's see if I can come up with some more questions

Did Jack say anything about how the music from both 2 steps from Hell and David Thiel is moving along? I do not have the feeling that much music material is implemented in the current version of TH.

Any updates about how the ruleset is build up? Will it be story driven?

Ow, and Smaug. Was it really the Golden version that was shown?

#4699 9 years ago
Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Recorded some video of The Hobbit at the Ohio Show.
» YouTube video

Oh man, I want my Hobbit

#4723 9 years ago
Quoted from lodgingdolphin:

Here is a video of a game I played on The Hobbit at the Ohio Pinball Show. The right slingshot wasn't functioning.
» YouTube video

Very nice video. Thanks.

1 week later
#4930 8 years ago
Quoted from kidvid:

Would have a PF protector make any difference here?

Not for the ramps. They are not protected by the pf protector

#4933 8 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

One thing I find interesting is that there's been a lot of criticism about that flipper over the months (years) since we first saw the design and never a comment I've seen from the JJP team. They have jumped in and addressed many of the direct questions/criticisms about other features, but I've never seen this one ever touched by anyone. I would have expected at least some acknowledgement. "We've spent X time shooting for the ramps with this flipper and no signs of damage." or "Don't worry, we'll have some surprises in the rules that take full advantage of this flipper." Never been anything like this that I've seen.
Normally I would defer to the designers and figure they know better than us, so trust their judgement. However in this case, TH has been through so many changes because the original design didn't work, including pulling what used to be a fourth flipper. If the original designer misjudged the fourth flipper, maybe he misjudged the third one too. Given how many other things the community got "righter" than the original design, I fear this extra flipper may be another one of those things.
I'm in on TH and eager to get the final product, however, I fear this may come complete with some of the missteps still intact.

Third flipper is most probably used for a combo shot that ends in either hitting the (drop)targets or VUK in front of Smaug. I do not think it is designed for hitting the left ramp

#4940 8 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

I'm not saying it was designed for hitting the ramp, but tons of people have said how shots from that flipper are going to beat up the ramp entrance. I would have thought they would either reinforce the entrance to make this a non-issue, or tell people they've put enough test-play time on the layout that it doesn't need addressing. I don't think it should be an issue in home use, but there have been enough negative comments that if it were me, I would have addressed it.
Now, it having nothing unique or interesting to shoot at, that is another issue all together.

Agreed. But there are a lot of pins made with a third flipper that can also hit the area around the target. That is pinball.

#5059 8 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Jack has said many times that there can be two games in production concurrently. Presumably WOZ and Hobbit will be built side by side. No reason Hobbit and Pat's game won't be either.

Exactly, that is what he said. So what are we waiting for?

#5060 8 years ago
Quoted from Lotr-Hobbit:

Again, I understand your unhappiness with the whole Hobbit delay. I too am not happy to tie up cash with JJP that I could have invested elsewhere. But I wanted this game and I still want it. But I also recognize that Jack needs to maintain a profitable business. WOZ may not have been a home run, but it was at least a triple. He needs to build some equity in case one of his games is a flop. He needs to sell as many high net margin WOZ's as he can. He needs to prepare in case one of his subsequent games is a Wrestlemania or RCT.
From our perspective, the pinball market is tough. Either you buy the latest Stern offering, or you buy from someone else with added baggage like pre-orders. Consider the whole TBL situation. I became an instant convert with JJP when I opened a new WOZ. A beautiful LED, a headphone and stereo jack, and the most extensive diagnostic and documentative software ever makes so much sense to me. And soon, presumably WiFi capability on future games.
Bottom line......I really look forward to getting my Hobbit. I had hoped to receive it late this Fall, but now I suspect I will not receive it until 2016. I am disappointed, but I recognize pinball manufacturing is a cottage industry and is subject to many uncertainties. I think it is enormously healthy to have more than one major manufacturer in the market place, so I am still willing to cut Jersey Jack some slack. If that does not work from your perspective, I understand. You might consider calling Jen for a refund and buy a Stern instead. I like a lot of the Stern games. And, they are available now. But personally, I will hold pat for now with my Hobbit pre- order.

Same old story. Jack should deliver just as he promised.

#5062 8 years ago

I find that hard to believe. Jack stated that he did not want to be dependent on one vendor. So he should have multiple by now.

Also more than 90% of the pin is build out of custom parts.

#5066 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

After what went down with WOZ, anyone who pre ordered the Hobbit really can't complain. This is how it goes.

Woz and TH are not comparable. Among others with woz they had to build a new system, software, control boards, factory etc. Also there we vendor problems and they had to adjust the led boards. All these things should not be applicable to TH.

So your statement doesn't make any sense at all.

#5068 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Apples to apples man. JJP is JJP. Forget about the variables, they have a history of shipping late. Whether it's light boards or Smaug's teeth, when have they delivered pins on time? Just saying no matter how you justify it, why would anyone pre order after the WOZ pain? Just wait and buy from a distributor. Why can't people figure that out by now?

I am not justifying what they are doing. Just disappointed that still is not clear when the game is going to ship. With TH being so much more things in place, it most probably will ship even later than woz. I cannot understand that.

#5089 8 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

Every day I see the number of new postings in this forum and I can't help but look, thinking...
perhaps this is the day that we get a Hobbit update.
Every day I close the thread knowing that I was fooled once again.
I think this thread is making me neurotic.

Asked several times on JJP forum about an update and until now nothing but silence. Not making me neurotic just disappointed.

#5100 8 years ago

From Jack from the JJP forum:

'We have two Hobbits heading to shows this weekend - I'll be in Michigan with one (MGC is the other show) - programming coming along - first articles and parts coming in - it's happening.'

#5128 8 years ago

Mini LCD is used as timer and like it seems mode indicator. Could turn out really well.

#5168 8 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

Heh, everyone raves about the slick video and sound. If I want to watch slick video and sound I'll watch the movie on my home theater. I thought this was a pinball machine.
The priorities for designing this thing should have been:
1. Game play/layout
2. Rules/Code
3. Cosmetics/visual effects
Not the other way around.
Hopefully I will be eating my words and it all comes together brilliantly.

1. Is done. We all know the story behind that
2. Work in progress. Do no expect complete code when game ships.
3. This is great as a business card at the moment.

I do agree that things could have been better. But this is what we have. Sound and music will be awesome. Code probably too. Gameplay will attract some and others will not like it. This goes for all pins. Matter of taste. I played the game and to say it is slow.......no not for a widebody.

#5174 8 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

I know this may sound like I am echoing a number of you, but the purchase of Hobbit is really coming down to a couple of issues that I have not yet worked out in my head. I would really appreciate any insights from those of you that have played the game, and particularly those that saw the raw WOZ early on and watched it transform into (IMHO) a great pin.
1) The videos on the Hobbit feels more like a chance for Peter Jackson to rerun Hobbit outside the movie theater. I am not a fan of the Wizard of Oz movie, but the clips from the movie augment the game nicely without taking over the LCD. I don't get the same feeling from Hobbit. I enjoyed the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy, but am not actually going to see the last Hobbit movie as I thought the first two were meh, and I honestly figure I will see enough of the third Hobbit movie when I play pinball.
2) On the other hand, I am up against my self-imposed budget of $7500 on a pin. If Pat's game comes out higher (seems highly likely) then I am out on new JJP pin purchases. The Hobbit may be my last chance to get a JJP pin in a long while. I am currently in at $7500 for a Hobbit SE.
3) While the game does seem floaty, I do set my pins at 8 degrees, so that should speed things up. I am still unsure if that will be enough to make a difference.
4) I want to be immersed in the Hobbit story when I play. I love STTNG for that reason. WOZ is good at this, but not great. Hobbit should be great at this, but I am not seeing it in the current configuration. My tendency is to believe that Keefer will come through here, but it is not a certainty. The current modes seem pretty random.
I appreciate any thoughts and comments.

1. I like the animations very much. As the ruleset will progress and will become story based the animations will fit perfect I think.
You can in no way compare Th with LOTR. LOTR is in my opinion much better than TH. However, the material they can use can make the pin better than the movie if the 'pin story' is implemented well into the rules and integrates with sound and sound fx.
2. If have invested € 7500 euros in Th. I upgraded to Se that now is priced € 9500! In theory I have a € 2000 buffer if I decide to sell if Th does not meet my expectations. Maybe I will lose some money, But don't expect it to be that much
much.
3. I played the game and do not find it slow for a wide body. Compare the layout with STTNG and you will be surprised.
4. Current code is in no way story based, But I believe Keefer will deliver and the rules will turn out great.
I must admit that I am becoming a bit impatient and hope the game will ship soon. I the meantime I am keeping an eye on how TBL but especially Aliens are coming along.

#5191 8 years ago
Quoted from juanton:

And then there is this......

10702099_909516042444878_7929110262114027095_n.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

'Watch display for usage'.

So the button will be multifunctional

#5222 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I believe these are a couple new animations which were part of Friday nights code update.
1. On the right hand side of the screen you will notice that the reference to sneak preview - prototype code is gone and instead the text "Hit Ring Button To" is listed with a ring animation and something to light in the game. The Ring Button is the action button on the lockdown there and there is now a "Ring Button" decal around the action button on the game.
2. End of ball animation. I haven't seen this before. Looks and sounds amazing!
» YouTube video

Thanks. Still waiting for your extensive review including at least a 5 minutes long video

#5278 8 years ago
Quoted from mummite:

This was a message from Ted Estes on the JJP forums some info on the rules.
The grid in the middle of the screen keeps track of the 31 "Book Modes", each of which is tied to a scene in one of the three movies. Each Book Mode is qualified with one or more of: ELF, MAN, DWARF, Bilbo, Gandalf, Radagast. The lit qualifiers are shown in the center top of the screen. Some modes will only be available after other modes are played. The grid shows the state of each Book Mode: unavailable (dark/greyed out), available (lighter), played (colour w/border). The "lit" Book Mode is highlighted on the grid, and also shown on the book display.
The Beast Hurry-Up rule is separate from Book Modes. Same with spotting Dwarves and Smaug Multiball.
We are auditioning for a Gandalf sound-alike now to do the pinball-specific call outs.

Nice rules explanation. But how cool is it they are auditioning to let someone do custom call outs. Gandalf style whop whop whop whop Gandalf style

#5322 8 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I just don't buy the argument that there's just nothing to shoot at on this pin. It's an absurd statement to me.
There are 3 banks of 11 individually controlled drop targets, with standup targets behind them. These can be controlled as an actual target, or can be programmed to popup & block your shot at the targets behind them. They can also block your shot to the VUKs. As seen in the test video, they can move extremely fast. One single drop can dart quickly across the playfield as an incredibly difficult target to hit for a skill shot. The variations are endless, and will provide COUNTLESS unique shots for the modes, depending on how they're programmed.
There are 2 spinner loops, 2 ramps, 2 VUKs and 1 captive ball....all which have both arrow & scroll inserts which can be lit for different mode shots. There potential there for multiple modes running & stacking. Similar to LOTR, you can start a mode, and then be required to hit multiple specific ramps, VUKs, etc to score jackpots & complete the mode, or make a shot to extend the mode timer.
Then there's the 4 popup targets, which can be used for timed hurry up shots, or popup randomly to block your shots to the ramps, drops, etc. There's huge potential there, especially when used in conjunction with the controlled drop targets. There's also the 4 lock rollovers, which can be programmed to light as specific targets, in addition to lighting the ball locks. There's also the mystery standup target, and also the shot into Bag End & the pops. Don't forget about the kickback either, and how it may be integrated with a shot to the upper right flipper for a Smaug killshot.
Plus Smaug should have a part in controlling the loop ramp diverter, the 2 magnets at the top of the loops, and the subway underneath to work against you to interfere with your shots, or randomly effect where the ball will appear.
And we just heard about the Ring Button, which will add even more depth to helping complete your shots and launching the windlance.
Sorry for running on......but to me, this pin has the potential to be the ultimate shooting man's pin, with an incredible depth of shot variations. By my count there are nearly 40 individual targets to shoot in this game. How is that nothing to shoot at? I guess if there was a simple big Smaug bash toy some would be happier. But that's not me. I'm a thinking man who loves a challenge. Give me a variety of targets. I find the thought of being under pressure to make all these different shots exciting! I love machines that put my meager skills to the test, provide incredible depth of play. It can kick my ass & keeps me coming back for more. And if there's a mythical hidden mode on the Hobbit like Valinor Multiball, then I'll never get rid of my machine until I reach it.
To me this much is clear......The Hobbit is going to be an incredibly unique & challenging experience. Keith has to be thrilled to get another chance to dive into Middle Earth, and create an experience that surpasses his outstanding work on LOTR. The first shipment can't come soon enough. Keep up the good work JJP!

Very well spoken

#5323 8 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

Why on Earth does everyone think 30 modes will be so awesome? 30 modes of the same handful of shots over and over again. There's only so much you can do with minimal things to shoot at. They need to completely scrap the whole upper right of the game. I know it will never happen but it should have when the game was on the drawing board and the first "the upper flipper is useless" remark went up waaaaaaaaay back at the beginning. That's been IGNORED since day one… why??? OR why not put something on the left for it to shoot at like a scoop, Troll, ramp anything?
Right now its a mess; useless flipper, some pop bumpers, a hole and an LCD book that is completely redundant (gobs of info already on giant LCD).
I know that making pinball is "HARD" but Jack had feedback from the start about these issues and IGNORED them. Adding more lights, video and sound makes a turd shinier but its still a turd.

You must be living in the perfect world. Good for you

#5327 8 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

After doing some more thinking, there's even more skill shot possibilities right off the ball plunger. A strong pull could hit one of the moving DWARF drop targets, or go into the LT VUK. You could time your plunger pull to hit one of the moving popups. Or a soft plunger pull could roll across all four rollover locks right off the bat. And that's before the game has even started.
And I'm sure that the power of the windlance can be adjusted by programming, so that the ball can be shot at the MAN drop targets or the RT VUK. As for that "useless" RT upper flipper, it's clear that a powered up windlance shot can get the ball up to that flipper, then across to the DWARF drop targets.
So imagine that the Smaug killshot is ready & the windlance is loaded. 4 of the 5 DWARF targets are up & moving back & forth, simulating Smaug's exposed scale & leaving a single standup target exposed. The lower flippers have been disabled. The playfield is dark, Smaug is taunting you, breathing fire all across the playfield. The shaker kit is rumbling, the sound & music are booming. The timer is counting down. You have one chance to launch the ball up to the RT upper flipper & make the killshot, or the ball will drain. Talk about pressure! And how satisfying would making that shot be for the player? Perhaps one of the most satisfying in pinball.
When I look at this playfield I see so much potential. This game is going to be a home run.

#5330 8 years ago
Quoted from PinChili:

Are there any good combo shots to be made in this game?

Please HoakyPoaky take it away

#5338 8 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

He does make a good point. There should be something to regularly aim at with that top flipper. Perhaps it is coming in the code, but I don't see it. With WOZ, there are shots from that top right flipper that are difficult but only possible from that flipper (i.e. into the haunted forest) and shots that are best taken from that flipper (i.e. the witch). I don't see that in Hobbit ... but I trust that Keith will find a way to incorporate the flipper somehow. He deserves the benefit of the doubt here.

I do not get it. Why keep talking about the 'faults' instead of the positive things. Do not expect any major changes. This is it. The left upper flipper has been removed, so I am sure the JJP team has a purpose for the right one.

By the way. Look at the right upper flipper of TZ. How many shots can you make with that one Does not bother me in any way.

#5443 8 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

Ah balls! Confusing rules? How could that be the two "greater" coders working on the game? I guess I could just hit the flippers non stop like a 4 year old and watch the movie on the display.

I really really do not understand you have TH on order. It must be that you like to talk BS, otherwise I cannot find a valid explanation.

#5471 8 years ago
Quoted from sj1000:

I am compiling a list of all individuals or businesses who have placed a deposit on the Hobbit or any JJP game. We should be releasing an important Jersey Jack Pinball related website, that will help you, on through major social org (ie; twitter, facebook, etc.). The e-mail is [email protected]. Since this is not an attack on JJP. We would like to see them succeed but do believe they have a serious money issue. We think we have the solution.

WOW, just as I thought it couldn't get any worse........the BS I mean..........

#5497 8 years ago
Quoted from PinChili:

I highly doubt the distributors who have Hobbit on order are paid in full (which probably accounts for the majority of the games). No way. But aside from that, it has already been 2 and a half years since the announcement of Hobbit and the start of taking pre-orders. How many people at JJP are salaried employees and what would your guess of average salary be? How many hourly workers are there? How much does a factory of that size cost monthly to keep open? How much money is spent on marketing, travel, WOZ warranty support, etc. etc.? How much profit do you think JJP can make on any one game? I think they probably lost money on the 1000 ECLE WOZ's (especially considering the number that were sold at the initial $6500 price point.) Considering how efficient and disciplined (particularly on BOM cost) Stern has had to become to turn a profit (much less stay alive) I just can't see how JJP is not struggling financially.
In the end, all I'm saying is it would be nice for some industry veterans to do some analysis based on their own experience and try to quantify just how real the risk is for customers.

I think we are all old and wise enough to do that analysis ourselves.

#5554 8 years ago
Quoted from PinChili:

So back to actual Hobbit updates. Can someone summarize the latest happenings from the past month or two? Is there any update on the status of the production line for Hobbit? Have there been pics of Hobbit parts coming in and being stockpiled? Has Jack given any updated time frame for when they hope to ship the first game? Is it still May? There haven't been any pics of Smaug with lit eyes yet has there?

For real? If you were seriously interested in TH and read all the information (on this thread too) that is available than you could have found all the answers. Ow sorry, you cannot read between all the BS that has been posted here.......................

You can find the answer to one of questions here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-update-1/page/106#post-2382662

#5588 8 years ago

Jack posted this video on Twitter.

I really like it

Aaah.....already been posted....sorry.

#5612 8 years ago
Quoted from onelastflip:

I played Hobbit at MGC. It's amazing.

Ehhh can you be more specific

#5614 8 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

It's f*cking amazing

We will see that if the pin is at our homes

#5651 8 years ago

Okay then, from Jack on the JJP forum. Posted there today:

There are really no concerns here - what we are doing is different than with WOZ -

1- We are actually verifying with each Vendor that they can make First Article Parts - that is a sample of the actual part that we need that matches a PO and a latest revision drawing. Now some of the Vendors have issues with this as they just want to "Run" 1000+ of something - when some of them did that with WOZ - the parts were wrong, costing us tens of thousands of dollars and many weeks of delay and rework….not doing it this time - we are taking longer to measure three times and cut once.

2- Parts are arriving daily and some are being rejected for QC issues even though they were made "correctly"

3- The code on Hobbit will probably be 80%+ when games ship - when games ship - when all the parts are here and we can build games - that's when they ship.

4- A big JJP supporter and someone who waited 3 years for a WOZ, Eddy Cue (Google him) and is on the Hobbit list called me a few weeks ago…..Eddy was marveling at the WOZ and what we accomplished….he told me…"Jack…it's OK to wait for Great Things" - he would know.

It's not WOZ - years and hope to see you at Allentown with a near-Production Hobbit…….Thanks, Jack

#5658 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballBeerGuy:

Where is this JJP forum?

Google groups. If you have a JJP pin on order you can get access to the group.

#5659 8 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Great post; it would help to know when it was posted though. In the last week I hope... not Dec. 2014....

Today

1 week later
#5905 8 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Did anyone else notice that the end of ball bonus is always the same score?
That's going to get boring pretty quick.

Quoted from JeffA:

I would agree if that's a final feature. But, we're still seeing significantly incomplete code at this point. There's been progress, but there's there's still a lot of work to go. Would certainly imagine this is just one example of "placeholder" code. (but could be wrong, I certainly don't have any inside info)

No way! You always get the same amount of points......forever.....

#5917 8 years ago
Quoted from Zebulon-74:

The "regular" artwork still have a glossy type surface right???
I was planning to put a layer of UV resistant wax on them...

The artwork is supposed to be printed with UV resistant ink.

#5918 8 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Any idea guys. I have a few videos I want to post but it sts at 60%.

Could not find a quick answer on the internet. If you want I can give it a try, just shoot me a PM.

#5972 8 years ago
Quoted from rlslick:

I've not seen the game in person, so the videos posted are greatly appreciated. Can I ask, those who have played the game, does the LCD book mod pose a significant purpose? I'm trying to understand the depth it has with game play. Lots of discussion about the dragon but very little about book. Game does look stellar and really digging the lighting affects. Someone mentioned once about the idea of when the dragon breaths fire, that all of the leds on the play field change from red to yellow as if he is blowing the file on you (The player) think it would be a super amazing light show.

I did not see the book in person. But functions I have seen in videos:

- Timer (maybe TSPP style)
- Mode indicator (believe it changes when you shoot the left ramp)
- Animations (fire in Smaug multiball. Also heard of water being displayed when ball is in pop bumpers)

I think the display will integrate well when completely utilsed

#6016 8 years ago
Quoted from dtowndobe:

I was told, by Jack @ at the Allentown show, that TH production was going to begin in a few weeks. Not sure if that means 2 weeks, 3 weeks or more, but that's all I got to share.
Would be nice if JJP posted pics of TH production when it begins. Would go a long way in making people more comfortable...

Quoted from RobT:

Interesting. Someone else posted that Jack told them production would start at the end of June.

For me it doesn't really matter what is said. It is starting to get a too long wait. Losing momentum. A pity.............

#6023 8 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Here is an interesting 'perspective' - if you haven't seen it yet.
» YouTube video

Nice video. I am a bit dizzy now

#6031 8 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

My 2 cents is the line is ready, but vendor parts timing and quality are not in JJP control. I was on the phone with him just 3 weeks ago and he had a story about a vendor had not packed well, but thankfully nothing was broken (but they hadn't unloaded and unboxed it all yet as of our phone call), and it wasn't the first time with this vendor. Jack tells us what he knows, but he doesn't know what he doesn't know regarding vendors delivering (in all uses of that word).

I do not fully understand this and to me it looks more like poor planning. For the most part TH uses standard parts that are highly available and JJP has had enough time to find good vendors for that. For the 'special' parts, the drop targets are done a long time so that should not be a problem either. What is left are Smaug and the pop up figures and if that blocks setting up the production line than I think I haven't got a clue what producing is about. As I think these could be easily fitted at the end as the greatest part of the pin has been assembled.

So what is really holding up the start of the production???

#6034 8 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

I just bought a Smaug Edition....I was wondering if a topper will be announced or does the game not come with one?

No topper included.

1 week later
#6092 8 years ago
Quoted from 2RustyBalls:

I called Jen after Allentown and asked about a Hobbit position and was told Aug production. Maybe..... I take that as cash flow could change everything.

Yes, I also heard production is 'expected' to start in August. Nothing officially confirmed though.

#6105 8 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

How do you propose he send out an email when there are no updates? I love WoZ and am in on the Hobbit but I also understand Jack is a salesman first. IF he had any updates he would post them on, at a minimum, his Facebook page! Any significant updates would not only satisfy those in on TH but also would generate potential sales from those on the fence!
Pick a status:
1. Problem with vendors
2. Problem with quality of parts from vendor
And anyone in on TH since day one ....... don't be suprised when production does start on TH that pro models are being made and sold before WE get our LE/SE!

It is the fact that there are still problems. They should have been solved with all the time JJP has got.

I do not like to bring this up here. But why can Stern keep producing games (with special parts in them) and JJP cannot?

If JJP decides to let first hour pre order people wait in favor of new standard orders then I think the customer base will decrease rapidly.

#6116 8 years ago
Quoted from ronlisa:

Can you still request a refund if you have one bought from a distributer or do you need to find someone to buy your spot?

As long as the product is not delivered it must be possible to get a refund.

Do not know for sure and how local law has an influence on that.

#6119 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballBeerGuy:

Just to clarify, did she say August would be the start of production or when your machine would probably go into production if you ordered today?

That should mean all pre-oders already made will be done in June and July. What do you think?

#6121 8 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

All this is probably out the window...
But, I ordered mine in June 2014. Original estimate (at that time) was August 2015 delivery. This was probably when they expected to be shipping in December 2014. I can only assume that delays past December would be pushed out on the original delivery estimate. So in my internal clock I am now expecting? the delivery to be Aug 2015 + 8 Months. So April 2016 delivery?!

I ordered mine in December 2012..........

#6124 8 years ago

I ordered mine in December 2012..........

Quoted from Goronic:

That is rather sad and amazing that you have been in that long...what has JJP said to you regarding your expected ship date?

Okay. Didn't want to do this either, but I getting a bit tired not getting any concrete information. So here is a quote of the JJP forum.

Post on JJP forum:
"My 2 cents is the line is ready, but vendor parts timing and quality are not in JJP control. I was on the phone with him just 3 weeks ago and he had a story about a vendor had not packed well, but thankfully nothing was broken (but they hadn't unloaded and unboxed it all yet as of our phone call), and it wasn't the first time with this vendor. Jack tells us what he knows, but he doesn't know what he doesn't know regarding vendors delivering (in all uses of that word)".
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My comment on that:
"I do not fully understand this and to me it looks more like poor planning. For the most part TH uses standard parts that are highly available and JJP has had enough time to find good vendors for that. For the 'special' parts, the drop targets are done a long time so that should not be a problem either. What is left are Smaug and the pop up figures and if that blocks setting up the production line than I think I haven't got a clue what producing is about. As I think these could be easily be fitted at the end as the greatest part of the pin has been assembled.

So what is really holding up the start of the production???"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reaction from Jack:
"There was some poor planning and some people were fired who were responsible....one left on his own.

There is not much in The Hobbit that is a "standard part" almost no unique Hobbit parts are "standard". The whole drop target assembly is different and patent pending and the actual plastic targets need to be made special for us so they read with the opto's correctly, not standard.

Your observation is similar to someone who chops trees down for a living making an observation about brain surgery.

The games will ship when all the parts arrive - all of the correct parts arrive - not too far out there. If you want a Great Game - this is what it takes. If you want something else, that's your choice. Thanks".

#6136 8 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

Unfortunately, Jack cannot share anything solely with the Google group, as it instantly appears here. As a result, there is no "private" sharing. So Jack usually just gives a short advance notice to the Google group when sharing news.

Didn't notice that the past months. All updates were published in the media and not on the group. Even after asking. So your statement does not make sense.

#6167 8 years ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

No you won't!
You will never see a pre order on pats game.
You will see Hobbit production line pics soon

Please lend me your crystal ball.

#6169 8 years ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

Jack can be his own worst enemy, I think even he would tell you that, putting his foot in his mouth, or not knowing when to let a sleeping dog lie, are common occurrences. He simply does not communicate well on forums like these, it's just not his forte.
I'm a day 1 order for TH, and was in early on WOZ, so all the pre-order drama is old hat for me, and I've listened to various people piss and moan about how Jack conducts his business for almost 5 years now, and I doubt it's going to change much in the future. All I know is that Jack made an incredible game with WOZ, I think The Hobbit is going to be as good if not better, and until something concrete happens to change my mind, I will continue to support JJP, ignore all the speculation, and not worry about whether I like how Jack comes off on forums.

If he does not change and get his marketing right I think he will be out of business pretty soon. With all the alternatives people do not going to take all that crap. Producing one game in 3 years isn't going to do it. I think JJP is very very lucky to have Pat's game coming. Otherwise I think a lot of people already would have abandoned the JJP ship.

#6170 8 years ago

June 1st
Watch this space!

I really hope you are right.

#6172 8 years ago

Do I get a free pancake or donut?

Whatever you like best As I live in The Netherlands I can not send it to you but we will work something out.

#6240 8 years ago
Quoted from jazc4:

Jack said production will start in weeks, not months

12 weeks is still 3 months.........

#6247 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

You should honestly bail now and buy a standard when they hit the distributors right away...or LE/SE...same deal. Pre-ordering is for suckers. You can "line-jump" easy by buying when they ship. Might cost a bit more, but you'll get it a year earlier.

You are out then?

If it wasn't for the price difference, 2000 euros price increase for the SE model, your statement would make sense.

#6249 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

No...I'm in, like you because of price. Forgot that caveat. I got it for $7500 shipped. I know people will walk up and get a Hobbit before me though. If you got in late for the same as whatever it costs now you should bail.

I hear you. But as said before the momentum is fading. The wait gets too long.

I bought through a distributor though, so maybe I get mine 'as planned.'

#6283 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I wish I could see them in person.
In pics both trims look very good. Is one really much better in person?

I have only seen the LE trim and was very impressed.

#6308 8 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

OOOOHHHHHH........glass.

Time to beam up captain

1 week later
#6362 8 years ago

A twitter account has been made for TH. Twitter your highscore

The Hobbit Pinball @ Twitter profile.jpgThe Hobbit Pinball @ Twitter profile.jpg
The Hobbit Pinball @ Twitter.jpgThe Hobbit Pinball @ Twitter.jpg

#6408 8 years ago

Story of David was really good. That is how you do it! Very well done.

Overall a good presentation. Looking forward to kick some ass on my Hobbit Soon, I hope!

1 week later
#6497 8 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

Hmm I never noticed the backboard decal. Is that new?
I like it!

Nice catch! Didn't notice it before.

On my phone I cannot get a clear overall view of it. What does the picture represent?

#6501 8 years ago

The 'Bag End' Insert seems not to be level with the rest of the playfield.

Anybody know what the purpose of this is, or are we looking at an 'unfinished' area?

416709.jpg416709.jpg

#6581 8 years ago

I sure hope Hobbitses are going to be delivered this year. I am in from December 2012 and sure hope I am playing TH coming Christmas.

#6601 8 years ago

Dp

#6602 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I still wonder if the far left side of the game is complete as the brochure doesn't show the entire playfield. Perhaps some type of molding representing Smaugs tail is going on the far left rail? I did notice that the Hobbit flyer says "subject to change with or without notice".
The Wizard of Oz brochure is done extremely well, shows the entire playfield and explains the features on the game. The Hobbit flyer lacks the same punch in my opinion.
Hopefully each version of The Hobbit has it's own flyer created that shows more of the game then the current one. That approach was done with WOZ and it worked out very well.
flyer.JPG

I think the money has not gone to flyers or other means of 'paper pr'

#6637 8 years ago

I have a feeling that the Hobbit waiting journey comes to an end. Soon the dragon will spit his fire..............game on

#6785 8 years ago
Quoted from PromoJoe23:

This is a Hobbit Update thread no?

If Hobbit is a car......yes...........

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 25.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
Electronics
Lermods
Electronics
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
9,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life
Toys/Add-ons
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
Flipper Parts
FlipMods
Flipper parts
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods
Other
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
272 posts in this topic match your search for posts by pinballrulez. You are on page 1 of 2.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballrulez.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-update-1/page/1?tu=pinballrulez and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.