Topic Stats

• 10,044 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 714 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOB (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
No.gif
IMG_9476_(resized).JPG
47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 199 of 201.
#9901 3 years ago

Still no code.
Yet, according to Jack, since two days he was to be released;
Bizarre?

#9902 3 years ago

Not really, more like typical!

#9903 3 years ago

Still no code,
meanwhile, who played on the Code 1.90?
What's new in the code?

#9905 3 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNavidad:

Please, please, please let there be more callouts. I really need to hear more from Smaug during multiball!

Exactly. I am pretty sure that we have not received all of the call outs that we were promised to this point, so I hope that this next (final?) update includes more callouts.

#9906 3 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Exactly. I am pretty sure that we have not received all of the call outs that we were promised to this point, so I hope that this next (final?) update includes more callouts.

Same here. I heard in several presentations from David Thiel that there is going to be over 1000 lines of dialogue from the films put into the game and there's more call outs for Smaug to be put in.

I hope that the code for The Hobbit is not being rushed due to Dialed In. JJP and Keith have always come through and have gone above and beyond with code support for WOZ so I'm hopeful that The Hobbit will be treated the same way. 1.31 to 1.9 is a big jump so in likelihood there will be a lot new added to the game.

Even after this update I think we will still see more updates for The Hobbit (Jack mentioned something about updates for bug fixes / minor updates at the JJP Expo presentation). WOZ was considered complete with 2.0 in terms of all the modes were then in the game at that point. After version 2.0 WOZ received multiple updates to refine and polish the code, today the game is on version 6.06.

What I hope to see with The Hobbit is some type of goal for completing the games 31 story modes other then to make it to the games final wizard mode. Maybe have a mini wizard mode for completing 6 in a row or something. Right now you only have to complete 1 mode to reach each Arkenstone mode. So 3 modes to play all 3 Arkenstone modes, it just feels like there should be something else for completing 6, 12, 18, etc modes. There's a big gap between modes 3 and 31 to reach the games final wizard mode.

Version 1.35P is supposed to add a deep bonus scoring system for mode progress so that will help with providing incentive to complete modes.

#9907 3 years ago

I didn't think Keith had to put much of his time into dialed in. Lawlor usually has his own software team (which is why Lawlor rules are so similar) .

#9908 3 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I didn't think Keith had to put much of his time into dialed in. Lawlor usually has his own software team (which is why Lawlor rules are so similar) .

It could be different this time around, especially with Keith being a guru with the JJP platform after coding WOZ and TH. I think Keith is a huge reason why WOZ, TH, TSPP, and LOTR are so much fun play and I hope he is helping with code work for Dialed In. I honestly think Keith is the best pinball programmer, the "Yoda" (lol), for telling a themes codes through code with deep, unique and engaging quest based rulesets.

#9909 3 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Exactly. Ted Estes is the Dialed In lead. I'm sure Keith is involved, but he isn't the lead of that game.

#9910 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

It could be different this time around, especially with Keith being a guru with the JJP platform after coding WOZ and TH. I think Keith is a huge reason why WOZ, TH, TSPP, and LOTR are so much fun play and I hope he is helping with code work for Dialed In. I honestly think Keith is the best pinball programmer, the "Yoda" (lol), for telling a themes codes through code with deep, unique and engaging quest based rulesets.

Keith's games are mostly marathon type games (TSPP, LOTR, TH, WPT). After a game or two of Hobbit I'm done with it for the night...it's at least a 30 minute game. Forget about playing a 2+ player game. It's good to have some variety in the game room. IM fits the bill for a quick game.

#9911 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

especially with Keith being a guru with the JJP platform after coding WOZ and TH

Except the presentation made it sound like they threw out the old platform?

#9912 3 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

What are the reaction to the black arrow SE?
I really want a hobbit game, but I wanted the Smaug SE. But that is too late. The Black arrow looks perfect.
I guess there isn't much of a shock to the owners, as it was with the woz 75.

I played the black arrow version 4 times at expo. I still like the LE better for looks. The plain blackout (like black ink) just isn't as good looking to me. Still waiting for my LE though. The black flippers and black balls ... just too weird. Not necessarily a bad weird. The silver ball with all the reflections seems better. You kind of loose the black ball a bit with it speeding around.

I don't play TH enough to know the code differences with the update. I only see them at shows.

Off topic a bit ... I like the Escalera stair climber that was at the show. I REALLY want to get one before my Hobbit arrives. The Hobbit sounds like one heavy pin. Not super easy for this old guy and his son to get pins in my basement ... and eventually back up. But man ... those are expensive. Might have to rent it out or something to make back some of the cost to make it worth it.

A Dialed In might come next year for me. Played that and liked it too. It's a different animal - a cool one. Blinders on for my TH to arrive.

#9913 3 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Except the presentation made it sound like they threw out the old platform?

In the "Deep Dive", they said it was the exact same hardware guts (CPU and "stuff in the metal box) as the Hobbit and later WOZ's. They said it might be a newer CPU by the time it goes into production ... board manufacturer dependent.

I think they just wanted to change it up a bit from the stereotypical JJP (so far) and get out of that mode of game to win over some of the JJP haters. I got that inflection from the presentations.

#9914 3 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

I played the black arrow version 4 times at expo. I still like the LE better for looks. The plain blackout (like black ink) just isn't as good looking to me. Still waiting for my LE though. The black flippers and black balls ... just too weird. Not necessarily a bad weird. The silver ball with all the reflections seems better. You kind of loose the black ball a bit with it speeding around.
I don't play TH enough to know the code differences with the update. I only see them at shows.
Off topic a bit ... I like the Escalera stair climber that was at the show. I REALLY want to get one before my Hobbit arrives. The Hobbit sounds like one heavy pin. Not super easy for this old guy and his son to get pins in my basement ... and eventually back up. But man ... those are expensive. Might have to rent it out or something to make back some of the cost to make it worth it.
A Dialed In might come next year for me. Played that and liked it too. It's a different animal - a cool one. Blinders on for my TH to arrive.

An Escalera will help big time with moving a pin like TH into a basement. Without an Escalera I would not have felt comfortable moving my LE into the basement. An Escalera is expensive but it has come in handy multiple times already with moving games in and out of the basement. You can also use an Escalera to help move things like fridges, washers / dryers, tool chests, etc in and out of the basement.

What I did to help bring the down the cost of buying an Escalera is split the cost with a friend as I knew we would never be using it at the same time.

If you end up buying or renting an Escalera I would recommend the following.

1. Do a couple dry runs without a game going up and down your basement stairs to acclimate yourself with using it.
2. Ensure that the rubber "feet" of the Escalera will catch each step going down as otherwise it can slip down a step suddenly.
3. Have a second person gently brace the Escalera as it goes down the stairs and have them check that the rubber feet will grab the stair (operator cannot see this).
4. If you buy an Escalera I would recommend a second strap towards the top of the device
5. Big wheel attachments seem unnecessary if you plan to only move pins on concrete, solid floors and carpet

#9915 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

An Escalera will help big time with moving a pin like TH into a basement. Without an Escalera I would not have felt comfortable moving my LE into the basement. An Escalera is expensive but it has come in handy multiple times already with moving games in and out of the basement. You can also use an Escalera to help move things like fridges, washers / dryers, tool chests, etc in and out of the basement.
What I did to help bring the down the cost of buying an Escalera is split the cost with a friend as I knew we would never be using it at the same time.
If you end up buying or renting an Escalera I would recommend the following.
1. Do a couple dry runs without a game going up and down your basement stairs to acclimate yourself with using it.
2. Ensure that the rubber "feet" of the Escalera will catch each step going down as otherwise it can slip down a step suddenly.
3. Have a second person gently brace the Escalera as it goes down the stairs and have them check that the rubber feet will grab the stair (operator cannot see this).
4. If you buy an Escalera I would recommend a second strap towards the top of the device
5. Big wheel attachments seem unnecessary if you plan to only move pins on concrete, solid floors and carpet

Thanks for the input. Your making me lean towards getting it before my TH arrives.

#9916 3 years ago

Me and my man got The Hobbit upstairs with just our muscles! We are He-MAN

#9917 3 years ago

Hey all,
My hobbit has two dwarf drops that
Won't reset up! I briefly looked at wiring, etc to make sure it wasn't something easy. I'm not quite sure where to start. It will pop them down. But can't go back up

#9918 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Hey all,
Won't reset up! I briefly looked at wiring, etc to make sure it wasn't something easy. I'm not quite sure where to start. It will pop them down. But can't go back up

Broken spring underneath I bet.

JJP will send u better ones free in an update kite.

#9919 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Hey all,

Sorry, my post might have been better in the owners thread. But thanks for the reply!

#9920 3 years ago

Get the Escalara. I've moved many a pin up and down the basement stairs, with a 90 degree turn. I moved hobbit and woz BY MYSELF with this thing (not recommended, but did it anyway). TH was pf and cab separate, just because it's so darn heavy. Believe me - it's worth it. I'm 54 now, and saving the back is worth the $$$. Larry kitchen is great - get one from him and mention my name - he's at flipnout pinball.

Now, where is that new code?

#9921 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Hey all,

Check all your connectors...I bet one is loose on one side. My ELF targets were like that when I got the game.

#9922 3 years ago
Quoted from Jeekayjay:

Broken spring underneath I bet.
JJP will send u better ones free in an update kite.

I am not sure that is the spring. I found with broken springs they won't go down (they stay up). Either way, go ahead and order a few springs - one will break sooner or later. I have had 3 break - easy to fix though

#9923 3 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Check all your connectors...I bet one is loose on one side.

Check the manual. Follow the wires from targets to opto driver board. Be sure all connectors to opto driver board are on tight.

LTG : )

#9924 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Check the manual. Follow the wires from targets to opto driver board. Be sure all connectors to opto driver board are on tight.

Page C-80 in the manual.

#9925 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Page C-80 in the manual.

Thanks to all who have suggested troubleshooting!

#9926 3 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I am not sure that is the spring. I found with broken springs they won't go down (they stay up). Either way, go ahead and order a few springs - one will break sooner or later. I have had 3 break - easy to fix though

Makes sense

#9927 3 years ago

New code is available for the Hobbit V 1.90, just downloaded it.

#9928 3 years ago

V1.90 Changelog:

==============================================================================
== Version 1.90 ==
==============================================================================

=== Known Issues

- Note that Headphone Volume doesn't work for Hobbit; it was meant to be
suppressed. The software has no idea if headphones are plugged in or not
on Hobbit, so we have to use the normal volume.

=== Game Code

* Added safety check for mode starts.
+ Mode/map bonuses.
- At the end of each mode, you can earn up to 3 different kinds of bonuses:
1. Timer Bonus (not shown on total screen right now): Each second you
have left when you win a mode gets added to MULTIPLIABLE bonus.
The points earned are 1+2+3... for each second you have remaining.
2. Map Bonus: If the map is beyond where the mode takes place, you
earn +25% mode total in unmultiplied end-of-ball bonus. For each
completion of the map (got to super spinner), you get an additional
+50% added.
3. Previous Mode Bonus: Each mode now has a completion percent
associated with it (shown on grand total page). Each mode can have
0-3 "feeder" mode associated with it. For each feeder mode, you
earn a percentage bonus based on the total completion percentage of
the feeder modes. Each feeder mode is displayed on the grand total
page, dim if you haven't played the feeder, and solid if you have.
Good luck finding some good feeder combinations! All of the feeders
"make sense" (at least to me) in terms of how they relate to future
covered modes, so some can probably be guessed pretty easily.
+ Broken beast compensation. If a beast isn't coming up, then shots behind
each beast will count towards hitting the beast. The relevant switches
are the left and right spinners, and the left and right ramp entrances.
* Changed spinner scoring.
* Bonus reformatted to take new items into account.
* Fixed a relatively rare crash bug on a mode shot.
+ Smaug death fanfare.
* Fixed super spinner scoring bug (each spin scored twice intended).
* Super spinner timer remaining adds to timer bonus.
* Feast Frenzy timer remaining adds 3x to timer bonus.
* Fix Moon Runes not showing grand total screen properly.
* Add card reader movies to attract mode.
+ Volume effects. If you don't like these, note the adjustments in
Settings->System Settings->Sound.
* All book modes have been score balanced a lot better than they were.
There were a lot of winners (like Rescue Gandalf and Defeat of Azog) and
some losers (Roast Mutton).
+ Battle of Five Armies.
+ Black Arrow support.

=== Core Code

* Fixed an extremely rare crash bug (r1159).
* Fix label on coil test enter button.
* Fix tilt logic that was giving about a half second less of plumb bob
debounce time than expected.
* Bulletproof ball roll tilt detection.
* Fix Match bug where turning off match still gave a 10% chance of matching.

=== OS

* Fix update routine that stopped update screen from showing after 30s.
* Added missing "update complete" screen.

#9929 3 years ago

We have code! Awesome. Battle of the Five Armies is now in the game!

Surely this cannot be the final Hobbit code as Jack mentioned during the JJP presentation? I know there's supposed to be a lot more call outs to be added and the games final wizard mode for doing everything?

#9930 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

We have code! Awesome. Battle of the Five Armies is now in the game!
Surely this cannot be the final Hobbit code as Jack mentioned during the JJP presentation? I know there's supposed to be a lot more call outs to be added and the games final wizard mode for doing everything?

Was it ever confirmed that there would be a final wizard mode beyond the three Arkenstone modes?

#9931 3 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

Was it ever confirmed that there would be a final wizard mode beyond the three Arkenstone modes?

Yup, I'm sure it's still coming and there will be more updates.

hobbit (resized).JPG

#9932 3 years ago

3 mini wizard mods ?
super wizard mods ?

#9933 3 years ago

I think the 3 mini wizard modes are Feast Multiball, Beast Multiball, and Smaug Multiball. The 3 major wizard modes are the 3 Arkenstone movie multiballs. I'm sure a "Valinor" / "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" type final crazy wizard mode (lol) is still coming.

#9934 3 years ago

hmm, question is, is there something for starting/doing all the modes

Supposedly this is final code with small bugs and fixes down the road. Hmm indeed.

#9935 3 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

hmm, question is, is there something for starting/doing all the modes
Supposedly this is final code with small bugs and fixes down the road. Hmm indeed.

I don't know the code progression of WoZ real well, but I thought that version 2.0 was considered "final", and now they are up to version 6.06. Was much added between 2.0 and 6.06?

My guess is Hobbit version 2.0 will include the super wizard mode (and then truly be the "final" code), and then from there it will be minor additions (hopefully more speech and call outs) and fixes.

#9936 3 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

I don't know the code progression of WoZ real well, but I thought that version 2.0 was considered "final", and now they are up to version 6.06. Was much added between 2.0 and 6.06?
My guess is Hobbit version 2.0 will include the super wizard mode (and then truly be the "final" code), and then from there it will be minor additions (hopefully more speech and call outs) and fixes.

A good question,
when I had it, I know it had the witch mode with the fireballs and a melting, melting wizard mode?...certainly not somewhere over the rainbow. i don't even think I had 2.0, 6.06 seems crazy to me.

#9937 3 years ago

Code do not load to pinball still stay in 1.30p.
All upgrade happen normally but stay in 1.30p in place to upgrade to1.90

#9938 3 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

A good question,
when I had it, I know it had the witch mode with the fireballs and a melting, melting wizard mode?...certainly not somewhere over the rainbow. i don't even think I had 2.0, 6.06 seems crazy to me.

I just pulled up the change log for WoZ, and it seems like a ton was done between 2.0 and 6.06. Hopefully The Hobbit gets the same love

#9939 3 years ago

Just played a few quick games, definitely heard new call outs which was nice. Didn't get to 5 armies though

#9940 3 years ago

Just did the update and it seems much more polished for sure, I did also see allot of additional lighting effects. The beast popups and their associated lighting is much better.

#9941 3 years ago

Just installed it, seamless. Will report what seems different in routine gameplay. Maybe we should start a new thread for Hobbit Update 1.9? That seems like a good way to get Keith/JJ's attention as we all are using it? Or maybe that's dumb

#9942 3 years ago

Just played the new code. Many new callouts. Made it to Battle of Five Armies. The book goes dark when the mode starts. Other than that bug (?) the mode rocks! Got a new Grand Champion! 2,672,193.

#9943 3 years ago
Quoted from pinlosopher:

Just installed it, seamless. Will report what seems different in routine gameplay. Maybe we should start a new thread for Hobbit Update 1.9? That seems like a good way to get Keith/JJ's attention as we all are using it? Or maybe that's dumb

Done!

#9944 3 years ago

Oh great...another Hobbit thread

#9945 3 years ago

31 "totally" different modes might be stretching it. There's a lot of sameness to many of the modes.

Wonder what the "Super wizard mode" is?

#9946 3 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

31 "totally" different modes might be stretching it. There's a lot of sameness to many of the modes.
Wonder what the "Super wizard mode" is?

They are all pretty darn unique...except the two "one-shot" hurry up modes (The One Ring and A Thief in the Night). Where is the "sameness"?

#9947 3 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

They are all pretty darn unique...except the two "one-shot" hurry up modes (The One Ring and A Thief in the Night). Where is the "sameness"?

(This is not based on 1.90, which I haven't played much yet)

Almost 40% of the modes fall into three general categories: Shoot Drop Target(s), Shoot Ramp(s), and Bash Popup(s). Some have like one shot on top of the basic thing, but that's about it (if even that).

Shoot Drop Targets
------------------
Roast Mutton
Dol Guldur
Riddles in the Dark

Shoot Ramp(s)
------------------
The Bait
Moon Ruins
One Ring
Resurgence of Sauron
Demise of Bolg

Bash Popup
------------------
Radagast the Brown
Flies and Spiders
Interrogation
Duel in Lake Town

There are some really cool, unique modes, but too many of the above feel like filler, especially since I can't watch the video while shooting the game.

#9948 3 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

(This is not based on 1.90, which I haven't played much yet)
Almost 40% of the modes fall into three general categories: Shoot Drop Target(s), Shoot Ramp(s), and Bash Popup(s). Some have like one shot on top of the basic thing, but that's about it (if even that).
Shoot Drop Targets
------------------
Roast Mutton
Dol Guldur
Riddles in the Dark
Shoot Ramp(s)
------------------
The Bait
Moon Ruins
One Ring
Resurgence of Sauron
Demise of Bolg
Bash Popup
------------------
Radagast the Brown
Flies and Spiders
Interrogation
Duel in Lake Town
There are some really cool, unique modes, but too many of the above feel like filler, especially since I can't watch the video while shooting the game.

Well, all modes are shoot shots. *shrug*

They all have variations:
Roast Mutton: bank of drops you have to hit changes.
Dol Goldur: 3 drop in each bank up. Knock down all targets in one bank and scoring increases for remaining.
Riddles in the Dark: Each "riddle's" answer is hidden in either a drop or a main shot depending on whether it's Bilbo's or Gollum's riddle. If the answer is behind a drop, hitting the main shots removes wrong answers. If the answer is a shot, hitting drops removes wrong shots.
The Bait: Goal is to hit right loop and right ramp, but the rub is that they're blocked by the orc and warg. Hitting the left ramp drops the orc temporarily so you can hit the right ramp. Hitting the left loop drops the warg temporarily so you can hit the right loop. It's a very tough mode.
Moon Runes: hit Ramps, but when you hit the ramp the diverter drops for the "U" turn back at you. It's unique.
One Ring: Boring one shot hurry-up of the right ramp, but nice one to easily collect an arrowhead.
Resurgence of Sauron: Hit left ramp 6 times...but, all switches increase value of shot so it's best to rip spinners and hit pop bumpers to crank up the value before cashing in. A pretty nice risk/reward mode.
Demise of Bolg: This one is fuzzy to me, but I think you must AVOID everything but the ramps...and I think the goblin/orc pop up as shots too.
There is only one simple "bash popup" mode and that is Interrogation (bash orc). The others alternate shots and drops in with it.

I think they are pretty unique...of course with 31 of them some will be somewhat similar. Still, even those feel different with unique music, effects, and sound (stingers). This is all my opinion of course.

#9949 3 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Well, all modes are shoot shots. *shrug*
They all have variations

I guess my problem with the ones I listed as being "same-y" is they are not as involved as the other modes that lead you from shot to shot instead of hit this x times over and over (Sauron spam the left ramp one is ridiculous), or hit this, then that, repeat. They just feel lazy and in need of fleshing out.

That said the other ~60% of modes I actually like give me hope that they'll all eventually be fleshed out to be fully satisfying.

#9950 3 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

I guess my problem with the ones I listed as being "same-y" is they are not as involved as the other modes that lead you from shot to shot instead of hit this x times over and over (Sauron spam the left ramp one is ridiculous), or hit this, then that, repeat. They just feel lazy and in need of fleshing out.

Seriously?? That Sauron one is actually one of my favorites!! Like I said, it's all about maxing switch hits before cashing in and strategically extending the timer at the same time. The lighting and sound is excellent in that one too. Different strokes...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 199 of 201.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside