47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg
There are 10,044 posts in this topic. You are on page 196 of 201.
#9751 7 years ago

The game is truly incredible with the latest coding and it's nowhere complete. There are more shots within this game already than any game I know of. It is really a blast to play, so much going on. Will be great to watch TH come fully together. Like a new game with every update.

#9752 7 years ago
Quoted from WesleyCowan:

After some minor issues on some early ones, on the latest releases are the issues with balls getting stuck in the pop ups and habit trails going okay with ones now coming off the assembly line?
Okay let me explain motivation so no one will misunderstand and think I'm trolling. I want to buy a TH very soon, maybe from someone who pre-ordered, but now wants to sell their spot. Or from a distributor that has one already in stock. My preference would be to up the odds that I get one NIB that's basically plug and play. I realize could wait and get a slightly used one that's working 100% but I've never experienced the NIB thrill and sort of would like to with TH. It's because I like JJP and am very, very excited by TH so put to rest, please, doubts I'm criticizing JJP in a backhand way. WOZ is great (gets more play from me than MM, SM, or my other games) and I'm so very happy with it and would love to add a TH next to it!
Also amazed that JJP has just already added another new code update to TH and how well WOZ has awesomely developed re: code! Thanks JJP.

Your so right about the WOZ code. It kicks butt now. BTW- I actually have 2 Hobbits coming to my home soon. Thought about keeping both but looking to trade 1 for a MET LE.

#9753 7 years ago

no

Quoted from dgarrett:

What will be great on film is the 5 ball MB combo smaug/beast frenzy: very intense, and for anyone who said the PF was too open, I challenge you to try to shoot the 10+ smaug jackpots with 4 random beasts popping in and out of the PF, and hit Thorin for supers without getting hosed by the goblin or orc.

Challenge accepted!

#9754 7 years ago

Here's a short video with nothing too special in it

#9755 7 years ago

I haven't played much of the hobbit, but i get the feeling WOZ has the better light show so far? This true? False?

#9756 7 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

I haven't played much of the hobbit, but i get the feeling WOZ has the better light show so far?

I've got a WOZ and Hobbit and think the Hobbit lighting is way better than WOZ.

#9757 7 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

I haven't played much of the hobbit, but i get the feeling WOZ has the better light show so far? This true? False?

Completely different I think. Woz is more colorful but I think the hobbit is more meaningful if that makes sense. Like the fire effect with Smaug. Both are excellent but if I remember correctly woz lighting effects came as the code progressed. I suspect we will just see more as time goes on. I do think the GI is much better in TH

#9758 7 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

What will be great on film is the 5 ball MB combo smaug/beast frenzy: very intense, and for anyone who said the PF was too open, I challenge you to try to shoot the 10+ smaug jackpots with 4 random beasts popping in and out of the PF, and hit Thorin for supers without getting hosed by the goblin or orc.

Challenge complete

Ok, I didn't complete 10+ smaug jackpots but...

#9759 7 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

I swear Keith even put in the logic to know when a ramp shot is coming back to the left flipper, to pop the warg so you can't combo with the right orbit

Yes, it's the left inlane switch.

1 week later
#9760 7 years ago

Yet another video

#9761 7 years ago

17,000+ Super Spinner Award

#9762 7 years ago

Does anyone still think this is a slow pin ?

#9763 7 years ago

last one for now

#9764 7 years ago
Quoted from B9:

Does anyone still think this is a slow pin ?

Yes.

#9765 7 years ago

fair enough

It's not as fast as the modern day Stern games, but I do find the Hobbit to be somewhat zippy.

#9766 7 years ago
Quoted from B9:

It's not as fast as the modern day Stern games, but I do find the Hobbit to be somewhat zippy.

Its just a different type of pin than Stern, a widebody with that much open space will never be fast, but thats good for some people, need variety.

#9767 7 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Its just a different type of pin than Stern, a widebody with that much open space will never be fast, but thats good for some people, need variety.

The Hobbit™ is more like a journey, a real adventure. It starts out relatively calm then intensity builds and then all hell breaks loose!
Really well written code even now in its beginning stages, a lot of fun.

#9768 7 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

A widebody is every bit as fast as any standard pin, there's just more real estate to cover making it seem slow. If you want "faster" increase the pitch and crank up the flipper power.

#9769 7 years ago

Man, it feels like there was a big drop off in hype for the Hobbit after it released. Seems like they are still pretty scarce in the wild though. Maybe it will pick up after more people see them out of location?

#9770 7 years ago
Quoted from Bizzenya:

Man, it feels like there was a big drop off in hype for the Hobbit after it released. Seems like they are still pretty scarce in the wild though. Maybe it will pick up after more people see them out of location?

Really? I'm noticing more sales lately. I think the opposite is becoming true as more code updates are released. Code is still relatively early too. I know playing the game with the latest 1.10 update sold me on the game.

#9771 7 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

A widebody is every bit as fast as any standard pin, there's just more real estate to cover making it seem slow. If you want "faster" increase the pitch and crank up the flipper power.

What? i just realized this isn't the GB vs Hobbit thread and I have no business posting here, but what you said is ridiculous. Bye

#9772 7 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

What? i just realized this isn't the GB vs Hobbit thread and I have no business posting here, but what you said is ridiculous. Bye

How is his comment ridiculous? Shots such as orbits and ramp shots can take slightly longer to return to the flippers compared to those on standard bodies as the path to travel is a bit longer. The trade off is the playfield can be packed with more shots, devices, toys, etc. Not every game has to be some speed demon with two ramps and little to stop the ball, if every game played that way pinball would lack variety and be boring.

hobbit-PF_(resized).jpghobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
47_(resized).jpg47_(resized).jpg

#9773 7 years ago
Quoted from Bizzenya:

I think some of us owners aren't posting because of all the negativity on here. Some people don't seem to understand that everyone has their own opinion and just because I don't agree with you doesn't make either of us right or wrong.

I love my Hobbit so far and I am excited for the future. 1.10 was a game changer in my opinion, it totally transformed the game. In my personal collection it offers something the others do not. Right now my collection is SM, IMVE and HB. I like the different play styles each game offers.

It may feel a tad bit slower but I agree with the comment about the playfield being bigger so it can give you the impression of being bigger and slower. Those flippers can hit the ball with the same amount of force the Stern games can so the velocity of the ball is the same. Try stacking beast and Smaug multiballs at the same time and then tell me if you still think it's slow and boring!!

#9774 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

How is his comment ridiculous?

because its slower. who cares why? whether its a larger playfield or not doesn't take away from the fact its slow and floaty, thats what I meant by ridiculous. Look I said it already this isn't the thread for me to be posting in and I agree not every game needs to be a speed demon, TH is not and thats for sure, thats cool.

#9775 7 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

It may feel a tad bit slower but I agree with the comment about the playfield being bigger so it can give you the impression of being bigger and slower. Those flippers can hit the ball with the same amount of force the Stern games can so the velocity of the ball is the same. Try stacking beast and Smaug multiballs at the same time and then tell me if you still think it's slow and boring!!

I'm looking at the amount of activity in the Ghostbusters thread (constantly on fire), the amount of machines out in the wild in our area (none on location yet from what I can tell) and then the Hobbit thread which has slowed considerably. Granted, Stern is much larger than JJP, but this is a big deal for JJP's 2nd game to be a hit and to be generating buzz.

I have no idea how it plays as I have never seen one in person so no judgments from me, but that will hopefully change after the PNW Arcade show in a couple weeks. Really interested in the game, but it is still hard to find out there.

#9776 7 years ago
Quoted from Bizzenya:

Now wait just a damn minute! Did the hobbit start shipping?

#9777 7 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

because its slower. who cares why? whether its a larger playfield or not doesn't take away from the fact its slow and floaty, thats what I meant by ridiculous.

Just because it's not as fast as Stern pins in general doesn't mean that it is "slow and floaty" either. It's not. If you played one that was, it wasn't set up right.

#9778 7 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

because its slower. who cares why? whether its a larger playfield or not doesn't take away from the fact its slow and floaty, thats what I meant by ridiculous. Look I said it already this isn't the thread for me to be posting in and I agree not every game needs to be a speed demon, TH is not and thats for sure, thats cool.

I don't think TH is any more floaty than any other pin. If it's floaty for you, learn the pin and play better.
Even the fastest pins are floaty on missed shots and weak poorly timed flips.
A properly set-up Th is fast and crisp to play.
Missed shots can be brutal and STDM in the blink of an eye.

#9779 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Just because it's not as fast as Stern pins in general doesn't mean that it is "slow and floaty" either. It's not. If you played one that was, it wasn't set up right.

I'm not saying it like its a terrible thing just not for me, glad you guys are digging the pin. Jesus did I make a mistake posting in this thread, bye bye.

#9780 7 years ago

Just rediscovered this video from David Thiel's presentation about the games soundtrack. Just wow, there is such an incredible amount of custom (and licensed) music going into the game.

#9781 7 years ago

I still haven't received mine. Does anyone know when they will finish their production run?

#9782 7 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I'm not saying it like its a terrible thing just not for me, glad you guys are digging the pin. Jesus did I make a mistake posting in this thread, bye bye.

Why are you acting like I overreacted? You gave an opinion. I gave mine. Pretty simple.

Why act like you were personally attacked?

#9783 7 years ago

I got to play the game on location last week. The game did feel slow. I played 3 games on it and got bored. I am just not a fan of the layout. Though i did play the game with headphones and the sound was great. I would like to see stern install headphones jacks on new games.

#9784 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Why are you acting like I overreacted? You gave an opinion. I gave mine. Pretty simple.
Why act like you were personally attacked?

Not you Rob it was in general I just quoted you last so it seemed that way, I did make a mistake and its was my fault for posting negative in a thread where I don't own the pin.

#9785 7 years ago

Within the last five hours:

Quoted from Hazoff:

Quoted from Hazoff:

Look I said it already this isn't the thread for me to be posting in

Quoted from Hazoff:

Jesus did I make a mistake posting in this thread, bye bye.

Quoted from Hazoff:

I did make a mistake and its was my fault for posting negative in a thread where I don't own the pin.

So what you're saying is we'll be hearing a lot more from you in this thread in the days and weeks to come?

#9786 7 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

So what you're saying is we'll be hearing a lot more from you in this thread in the days and weeks to come?

He's a lot like me... can't quit while he's ahead

#9787 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

I got to play the game on location last week. The game did feel slow. I played 3 games on it and got bored. I am just not a fan of the layout. Though i did play the game with headphones and the sound was great. I would like to see stern install headphones jacks on new games.

I have yet to play it, but I wonder if the player is supposed to take it more as a journey, like the books/movies and progress that way. I want to play one soon.

#9788 7 years ago
Quoted from B9:

17,000+ Super Spinner Award
» YouTube video

Pfft...17,000 is peanuts. Crank that up to 35k with seconds to spare to cash in at the captive ball.

#9789 7 years ago

JJP said he wanted to make a game for the entire family. That includes children too, if you have them. As I was told by the man himself he wanted it to play for everyone and not just for guys that play in tournaments. Everyone seems to want to compare this to Sterns GB. They are both great games but If you want a real opinion and a great judge of the game, then just ask your kids. They are not looking to be pro's, they are just looking for a really fun game.

#9790 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinister:

JJP said he wanted to make a game for the entire family. That includes children too, if you have them. As I was told by the man himself he wanted it to play for everyone and not just for guys that play in tournaments. Everyone seems to want to compare this to Sterns GB. They are both great games but If you want a real opinion and a great judge of the game, then just ask your kids. They are not looking to be pro's, they are just looking for a really fun game.

There is very much something too this. I just put a WOZ out on location and it really does attract people. I think TH will do even better. People are going to dig the pop ups.

#9791 7 years ago

I think I found a software bug from your video B9

Right near the end you delay the lock. Then your ball drains. On the new ball you start your mode, but the lock is gone. at 15 mins 15 seconds.

#9792 7 years ago

I have a request for Keith/Ted: please add a "dirty pool / you cheat dr jones" quote when you sneak a ball into the Balin hole with the drops up. I've banked it in off the left loop ball guide a couple times and bounced it in.

#9793 7 years ago

Couple of things. Having some issues with random resets and video slowing/glitching. For example tonight after several episodes of video slowing/glitching, the screen froze and my bonus was calculated in slo mo for a total of about 30 seconds then the game reset. Unfortunately was having a great game on ball 2.

I have updated to the latest 1.10 code. Is this a known issue/is this being worked on? I have a ticket open with JJP but haven't heard anything as of yet, granted its only been a couple of days.

#9794 7 years ago

For the most part game played great out of the box for me (4 days now since first opened). Had one reset issue when ball went into pops. One of the pop ups (Gobliln) registers a hit when initially going up (happens intermittently). Had a couple of balls stuck in traps but ball search popped them out quickly enough...
Game is sweet!

1 week later
#9795 7 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

For the most part game played great out of the box for me (4 days now since first opened). Had one reset issue when ball went into pops. One of the pop ups (Gobliln) registers a hit when initially going up (happens intermittently). Had a couple of balls stuck in traps but ball search popped them out quickly enough...
Game is sweet!

I have the same issue with my Goblin. It is about 50% of the time he just insta dies.

Also, my windlance up post was missing a piece of rubber and had magnetized itself in the down position since the metal was touching metal. To fix it temporarily I stuck a zip tie through the hole so it breaks contact and the post can move up.

The other issue I'm waiting on a with the factory is my Smaug's mouth motor seems dead. If I use a multimeter I can see the voltages toggle on the brown wire, but can it gets no movement . Smaug is a pita to take apart btw.

#9796 7 years ago
Quoted from goldant:

I have the same issue with my Goblin. It is about 50% of the time he just insta dies.
Also, my windlance up post was missing a piece of rubber and had magnetized itself in the down position since the metal was touching metal. To fix it temporarily I stuck a zip tie through the hole so it breaks contact and the post can move up.
The other issue I'm waiting on a with the factory is my Smaug's mouth motor seems dead. If I use a multimeter I can see the voltages toggle on the brown wire, but can it gets no movement . Smaug is a pita to take apart btw.

Bummer about your Smaug...
I had one his eyes brighter than the other but I fixed that by pulling off the face and readjusting the LEDs inside...easier fix than yours

#9797 7 years ago
Quoted from goldant:

Are you sure it's not a connector? My Smaug wouldn't work, and I found the data connector was not tight. I reseated and Smaug came back to life. Not a problem since.

#9798 7 years ago
Quoted from Hitch9:

Are you sure it's not a connector? My Smaug wouldn't work, and I found the data connector was not tight. I reseated and Smaug came back to life. Not a problem since.

I'm 90% sure it isn't the cable. I've tried reseating it and that hasn't helped. Frank had me tear down Smaug to under the top metal plate to check where the motor connects to the Smaug board. I reseated that cable and still no help. If I check eith my multimeter I get these voltages for the motor wires:
Brown 3 (drops from 3 volts to .8 volts when talking should happen)
Red 4
Orange(or yellow?) .4

#9799 7 years ago
Quoted from goldant:

Sorry if this is a dumb suggestion, but did you check that the Smaug mouth settings are still around 120 for minimum and 150 for maximum?

#9800 7 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Sorry if this is a dumb suggestion, but did you check that the Smaug mouth settings are still around 120 for minimum and 150 for maximum?

Mine came set at 115 for the min, and 137 for the max. I've tried adjusting these up and down beyond where they came set at and it hasn't helped.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 25.50
Hardware
Pinball Haven

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

There are 10,044 posts in this topic. You are on page 196 of 201.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-update-1/page/196 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.