Topic Stats

• 10,044 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 714 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOB (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
No.gif
IMG_9476_(resized).JPG
47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 195 of 201.
#9701 3 years ago

Think the opposite to you.

Layout is quite akward compared to other pins, but will work due to awesome code.

The sounds related to shots. Pretty sure what you are referring to is a switch frenzy mode. So it's meant to sound like that.

Jackpot call outs are still being interrupted which I hope is addressed with a code update.

#9702 3 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I didn't watch the whole video yet, but wow! This is the best video and representation of hobbit I've seen yet. Well done! Is this Hugh's setup? May I ask what pitch you have the game at? And it looked like you may have changed the difficulty to light lock, no? I'll watch the rest tomorrow. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks!! I'm glad to hear it looks and sounds good. Someone on YouTube commented that the audio levels were a little low, does it sound good to you? I have been lowering the levels of the mic and I raised the level of the game's output to the highest level.

I have my pitch set at 7 degrees and I did change the lock setting. The default is 3, I have it set at 4. It can be configured between 1 and 6 with one being the easiest and 6 being the hardest. I felt that with the default setting it was too easy to start Smaug multiball but technically if you pay attention you can skip locks by pressing the ring button. I haven't tried any of the other settings.

Quoted from mof:

Thanks for shooting the vid above, that really helps me evaluate the game. Some quick notes:
+ This game looks like it shoots extremely well. I am a big fan of the balance of shots, 2 spinners, 3 banks of drops, 3 flippers, and the absence of mini-playfields. I'm open to the idea that it may very well be the best layout of all time. We'll see... I cannot wait to play this in person.
- As for the audio. I listened to it while coding (with the video off), and I gotta tell you, it was very... "frenetic" -- I gotta say -- it didn't sound like a pinball machine *at all* to me, it sounded like a cat attacking a dvd remote, and not letting any scene on a movie finish out. Does that make sense? Listen to the audio in isolation... Does that stop/start/stop/start movie soundtrack feel work for you? Not me.
-mof

I agree, the audio really pulls it together and is altogether a different pinball experience than any other game I have ever owned. I find myself getting distracted by the videos on the backbox quite often. I still haven't seen the movies so I think the little video clips are a distraction to me right now. Not a bad thing though!!

I tested taking my videos with and without the direct input from the headphone jack this morning and having it connected definitely helps with the clarity of the audio in my videos. Someday when I'm not streaming or recording I would like to try out a pair of headphones for an extended length of time. I love the use of stereo in this game! I tried headphones once when I first setup the game and with the headphones it will switch from the left to right channel often. It of course does that with the backbox speakers but the effect is much more pronounced with the headphones on. Maybe I will pickup a splitter and see how that works, hopefully it doesn't introduce any noise into my recording setup.

I just played another hour or so and it is uploading now:

#9703 3 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

Thanks!! I'm glad to hear it looks and sounds good. Someone on YouTube commented that the audio levels were a little low, does it sound good to you? I have been lowering the levels of the mic and I raised the level of the game's output to the highest level.
I have my pitch set at 7 degrees and I did change the lock setting. The default is 3, I have it set at 4. It can be configured between 1 and 6 with one being the easiest and 6 being the hardest. I felt that with the default setting it was too easy to start Smaug multiball but technically if you pay attention you can skip locks by pressing the ring button. I haven't tried any of the other settings.

I agree, the audio really pulls it together and is altogether a different pinball experience than any other game I have ever owned. I find myself getting distracted by the videos on the backbox quite often. I still haven't seen the movies so I think the little video clips are a distraction to me right now. Not a bad thing though!!
I tested taking my videos with and without the direct input from the headphone jack this morning and having it connected definitely helps with the clarity of the audio in my videos. Someday when I'm not streaming or recording I would like to try out a pair of headphones for an extended length of time. I love the use of stereo in this game! I tried headphones once when I first setup the game and with the headphones it will switch from the left to right channel often. It of course does that with the backbox speakers but the effect is much more pronounced with the headphones on. Maybe I will pickup a splitter and see how that works, hopefully it doesn't introduce any noise into my recording setup.
» YouTube video

Well crap. My software didn't output 1080P when recording, it scaled it down to 720p.

Oh well I guess I have to play it some more and upload another vid

#9704 3 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

» YouTube video

Yea, the audio levels were a little low.

#9705 3 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Yea, the audio levels were a little low.

Thanks for the heads up! Was it the game audio or the mic? (coils, me speaking, etc?)

#9706 3 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

Thanks for the heads up! Was it the game audio or the mic? (coils, me speaking, etc?)

On the first upload, the game audio (music and call outs) was a little too low. I could barely hear the call outs to know what was going on, even with the volume maxed out on my iPad.

On the upload yesterday, the music and call outs were fine on the last upload, but the coils were a little too loud, like you were playing with the glass off. I could also hear you speaking on the last video, which I don't recall hearing on the first video.

Of the two, the 2nd video was easier to follow, but the mechanical sounds of the pin were still a little too high.

Overall, I love the 3-camera setup. Best video I have seen to date from a viewer's perspective.

#9707 3 years ago

Have any of the new owners changed the actual flippers yet? Being such a beautiful and polished looking game, the regular yellow flippers look out of place. Wondering what people have tried and how it looks.

#9708 3 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

I have my pitch set at 7 degrees

Great video thanks for sharing. Your setup plays really fast. And the flippers are more than powerful enough. Did you increase flipper strength and/or any other coil strength?

#9709 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Have any of the new owners changed the actual flippers yet? Being such a beautiful and polished looking game, the regular yellow flippers look out of place. Wondering what people have tried and how it looks.

Good question, flippers with the LE/Gold armor finish would fit the game imo?

#9710 3 years ago

Had to lower the volume down a lot. It goes from music you would hear on the shitter at a fancy restaurant too kill your mother every 10 seconds. Causing me and others unwanted anxiety. Even my 5 year old threw a fit during gameplay and doesn't even care whats happening on any pin I own. Hope they tone it down. I like to zone out when I play and the way the music is constantly grinding at some point I would be the star of one of those strange rage quit youtube videos.lol

#9711 3 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

On the first upload, the game audio (music and call outs) was a little too low. I could barely hear the call outs to know what was going on, even with the volume maxed out on my iPad.
On the upload yesterday, the music and call outs were fine on the last upload, but the coils were a little too loud, like you were playing with the glass off. I could also hear you speaking on the last video, which I don't recall hearing on the first video.
Of the two, the 2nd video was easier to follow, but the mechanical sounds of the pin were still a little too high.
Overall, I love the 3-camera setup. Best video I have seen to date from a viewer's perspective.

Thanks, that is excellent feedback! I will work on the level balance some more. I listened to a little bit of the latest upload and I definitely hear myself talking more than I remember.

Here is my recording setup:

Hobbit_Rec_Setup_HBM_(resized).jpg

Having the microphone right above the game contributes greatly to how loud the sound of the coils and my voice are.

Quoted from cooked71:

Great video thanks for sharing. Your setup plays really fast. And the flippers are more than powerful enough. Did you increase flipper strength and/or any other coil strength?

Everything is at stock settings except for the trough VUK which was increased to 22 from the default of 8. At the default the game couldn't kick a ball out.

#9712 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Couldn't agree more, this has always stood out like a sore thumb to me. No idea why they drew the pimp my pin line at flippers. I'm not sure what I'll upgrade mine to though.

#9713 3 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

Here is my recording setup:

That way more elaborate than me clipping a point and shoot camera to a tripod wedged in the ceiling

The videos are great!

Try getting it in the barrels a few times and one of the drop targets will go up under Smaug, I think this advances something about the barrel or something.

#9714 3 years ago

Is your Hobbit's VGA port free, like it is on WOZ or do they have that tied up for the storybook screen / thing? If it is free, you can go into a VGA->DVI converter and into a game capture card, using the capture card as a source in XSplit (or whatever you are using) to get pure game audio and video. If it isn't free, you can still do something similar with a pair of splitters. (Split the DVI, then go into a DVI to HDMI converter, then split the vga, vga->hdmi converter.)

The elgato capture card works pretty well, though I don't know if most notebooks would be happy powering two at once

#9715 3 years ago

It's in use.

#9716 3 years ago
Quoted from visi0n:

Is your Hobbit's VGA port free, like it is on WOZ or do they have that tied up for the storybook screen / thing?

It's being used for the storybook screen.

#9717 3 years ago
Quoted from B9:

That way more elaborate than me clipping a point and shoot camera to a tripod wedged in the ceiling
The videos are great!
Try getting it in the barrels a few times and one of the drop targets will go up under Smaug, I think this advances something about the barrel or something.

My previous setup was just a single mounting point on my ceiling and a single HD camcorder which I use to capture the DMD and the playfield. I use Cyberlink Powerdirector and I put my video twice in my timeline so can have a separate DMD and playfield section of the video. It works fine for DMD games but this game needed something different to capture the huge LCD in the backbox

I hope a lot of us put up videos of this game in action in whatever format they can. I am really enjoying the gameplay so far! You are clearly a better player than I so please continue to post more vids

Quoted from visi0n:

Is your Hobbit's VGA port free, like it is on WOZ or do they have that tied up for the storybook screen / thing? If it is free, you can go into a VGA->DVI converter and into a game capture card, using the capture card as a source in XSplit (or whatever you are using) to get pure game audio and video. If it isn't free, you can still do something similar with a pair of splitters. (Split the DVI, then go into a DVI to HDMI converter, then split the vga, vga->hdmi converter.)
The elgato capture card works pretty well, though I don't know if most notebooks would be happy powering two at once

I can see buying some capture equipment someday. I may want to upgrade my PC first, right now I am rocking an old i7-960.

I want to thank Pinsider Lou for making me aware of something I didn't know. The headphone jack's volume is affected by the main game volume! I had my volume set at 22 for the main which is part of the reason why the sound levels from the game were so low. I am testing volume levels but it sounds like 30 is a good setting so far.

The only problem for me is my game room is upstairs and 30 is too loud for night play. Right now I have the game output to my line in and I am using my PC to monitor the sound so I can listen to the game and record at the same time. I will probably buy a splitter so I can wear my headphones while I play and record. The built-in speakers in my monitor aren't doing the game justice

#9718 3 years ago
Quoted from B9:

It's being used for the storybook screen.

Thanks! That changes things a bit for someone wanting to try to do an apron LCD mod like has been done alot on WoZ. Good info!

#9719 3 years ago

So I thought about posting a day or so after my delivery but I decided I would wait and put a good amount of games in first and I'm glad I did. I would have said it's a great game and will get even better with code, but it's an amazing game and will even get better with more code. I know people think you can't count on future code, but you can already tell where this game is going from the code now. It is so much fun. I originally bought it for my wife and she loves it so much she is already discussing picking up a WOZ now. I have gotten to actually put some games in and focus on the shots and modes and while you can tell there can and will be more it is so much fun when you get the game really going. I also understand peoples opinions on wide open slow bouncing around game play, and it is at some times, but there's so much opportunity to take control and make some fun shots, and with the individual controlled targets, pop ups, and power controlled kickback mode things just seem integrated really well. I love the control of you choices with the ring button, (ball lock vs Modes) and the skills shots are great with multiple options. Also I am ok with the play style being different than my other pins. I like to have variety and that's exactly what this game gives. Anyway, just thought I'd give a little review. I'm sure it's nothing you haven't already heard but this one is staying for a good while.

#9720 3 years ago
Quoted from visi0n:

Thanks! That changes things a bit for someone wanting to try to do an apron LCD mod like has been done alot on WoZ. Good info!

WoZ apron mod is pretty much dead due to the new version of linux they are using, messed up the 2nd screen resolution

#9721 3 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

WoZ apron mod is pretty much dead due to the new version of linux they are using, messed up the 2nd screen resolution

I think Keith is trying to take a crack at this in the owners group. If you're not already a member there shoot Jen an e-mail and you can look up the topic on it.

#9722 3 years ago

Yep. He has been awesome. He tried a special delta update. It changed the resolution but not to the correct one. Can't expect him to do anything as it's all 3rd party and he has a lot of work to do! However I will leave it installed just in case

#9723 3 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Yep. He has been awesome. He tried a special delta update. It changed the resolution but not to the correct one. Can't expect him to do anything as it's all 3rd party and he has a lot of work to do! However I will leave it installed just in case

I hope there is a fix for it at some point, I'd love to get the little screen mod for hobbit.

#9724 3 years ago

Well the Apron on TH is nicer than the one I have on WOZ. There are also 2 screens with important information so not sure if its worth doing it for TH. Unless you have 2 of them in there you are still going to have to look up to get info.

1 week later
#9725 3 years ago

The Hobbit LE #92 arrived today. When I unboxed this game I was about to stop halfway through, call Jack on his cell, and tell him that his company does the best packing job ever. Then, when I unboxed the game entirely, I wanted to call him again and tell him that he has created perhaps the most beautiful pinball game ever. My apron sure feels like metal so I may be mistaken but I checked it out with a few light taps and it sure feels like metal.

Anyway, I have yet to play a game so here are the pictures. Sorry for no unboxing but help was fairly limited today and I didn't want to hold them up by snapping pictures along the way.

IMG_4607_(resized).jpg

IMG_4609_(resized).jpg

IMG_4605_(resized).jpg

IMG_4597_(resized).jpg

IMG_4599_(resized).jpg

IMG_4595_(resized).jpg

IMG_4598_(resized).jpg

IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

IMG_4602_(resized).jpg

IMG_4594_(resized).jpg

#9726 3 years ago

I think your dog likes it too.

LTG : )

#9727 3 years ago

don't forget to cut the zip ties on the beast mechs (i may have forgotten in my excitement). they will not work if they are still tied down.

#9728 3 years ago

Hope some modder makes some stuff for that upper right side... like maybe a hobbit house or cliffs for the whitewater scene or a barrel with hobbit legs that protrude out the top (oh wait, that last one was done...)

#9729 3 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

Hope some modder makes some stuff for that upper right side... like maybe a hobbit house or cliffs for the whitewater scene or a barrel with hobbit legs that protrude out the top (oh wait, that last one was done...)

I am expecting Matt to provide addition toy bling...

1 week later
#9730 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

image_(resized).jpg

#9731 3 years ago

Green looks good and much better fitting for the theme

#9732 3 years ago

v1.10 video

#9733 3 years ago
Quoted from B9:

v1.10 video
-Youtube is currently rotating the video
» YouTube video

Wow. Big differences. The game already seems a lot more epic just from the smaug call outs. More video please!

#9735 3 years ago

This is interesting

youtube_(resized).jpg

#9736 3 years ago

That is BY FAR the best video yet. And a lot of the sounds I'm hearing remind me of TOTAN (which is a good thing) I'm starting to actually get encouraged after weeks of being down from all the negativity on these boards...

#9737 3 years ago
Quoted from B9:

This is interesting

That stuff is automated.
I guess 2 Steps from Hell music is clear enough for YouTube to pick it up With the ball getting stuck behind the beast mech I the sound was clear for a long time.

Not sure if you are do anything about that.

#9738 3 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:That stuff is automated.
I guess 2 Steps from Hell music is clear enough for YouTube to pick it up With the ball getting stuck behind the beast mech I the sound was clear for a long time.
Not sure if you are do anything about that.

Not that I serve up a lot of youtube videos but it was the first time that I saw something like this

I have no issues with it, just thought it was interesting.

#9739 3 years ago

Wow, that new 1.10 code looks great! Still wish they had a "MULTIBALL!" callout when it starts. I mentioned that to David Thiel at Pinball Expo last year, and he said they recorded that. I wonder why it's not in there yet.

#9740 3 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

I'm starting to actually get encouraged after weeks of being down from all the negativity on these boards...

I've been playing the game for almost two months and it's gotten better with each of the two code updates.

There's plenty in there to be excited about!

#9741 3 years ago

Looks amazing! Wish mine would get here already!!!

I can tell you have issues hitting the ramps... {sarcasm}

#9742 3 years ago

After some minor issues on some early ones, on the latest releases are the issues with balls getting stuck in the pop ups and habit trails going okay with ones now coming off the assembly line?

Okay let me explain motivation so no one will misunderstand and think I'm trolling. I want to buy a TH very soon, maybe from someone who pre-ordered, but now wants to sell their spot. Or from a distributor that has one already in stock. My preference would be to up the odds that I get one NIB that's basically plug and play. I realize could wait and get a slightly used one that's working 100% but I've never experienced the NIB thrill and sort of would like to with TH. It's because I like JJP and am very, very excited by TH so put to rest, please, doubts I'm criticizing JJP in a backhand way. WOZ is great (gets more play from me than MM, SM, or my other games) and I'm so very happy with it and would love to add a TH next to it!

Also amazed that JJP has just already added another new code update to TH and how well WOZ has awesomely developed re: code! Thanks JJP.

#9743 3 years ago

Here is your upper flipper use right here.

http://i.imgur.com/tOOCRSl.gifv

#9744 3 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Here is your upper flipper use right here.
http://i.imgur.com/tOOCRSl.gifv

Wow, that guy never misses

#9745 3 years ago
Quoted from MacJedi:

Wow, that new 1.10 code looks great! Still wish they had a "MULTIBALL!" callout when it starts. I mentioned that to David Thiel at Pinball Expo last year, and he said they recorded that. I wonder why it's not in there yet.

During my recent pinball party, I noticed that the novice players were a little confused and a bit surprised that the multiball had started.

A call out might help out a bit, although the shaker motor rumbles certainly let you know something is going to happen!

I dont think that a Gandalf call out is needed here for multi ball. I would think that in this case, some kind of scary way to announce it from Smaug, that might invoke terror would be very cool.

#9746 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

During my recent pinball party, I noticed that the novice players were a little confused and a bit surprised that the multiball had started.
A call out might help out a bit, although the shaker motor rumbles certainly let you know something is going to happen!
I dont think that a Gandalf call out is needed here for multi ball. I would think that in this case, some kind of scary way to announce it from Smaug, that might invoke terror would be very cool.

Smaug does have a very specific roar when multiball starts.

#9747 3 years ago
Quoted from Drenden:

Smaug does have a very specific roar when multiball starts.

It does indeed, but I think something more bone chilling. And maybe a verbal taunt or statement of intent: "Your all gonna die now!", "You've awakened the beast!" etc...

#9748 3 years ago

Just had a great game

IMG_9634_(resized).JPG

#9749 3 years ago
Quoted from B9:

I've been playing the game for almost two months and it's gotten better with each of the two code updates.
There's plenty in there to be excited about!

Great video. There is one mode I'd like to get on film, but my video skills suck. I've also had the game 2 months now, and uploaded 1.10 last night. What a riot. What will be great on film is the 5 ball MB combo smaug/beast frenzy: very intense, and for anyone who said the PF was too open, I challenge you to try to shoot the 10+ smaug jackpots with 4 random beasts popping in and out of the PF, and hit Thorin for supers without getting hosed by the goblin or orc. I swear Keith even put in the logic to know when a ramp shot is coming back to the left flipper, to pop the warg so you can't combo with the right orbit - there are so many ways to mess with the player - and Keith is taking advantage of any/all ways to mess you up, block a shot, and time it so you almost have time (but never do) to hit that second shot without something in the way. Brilliant so far.

Scores are much higher now. There are many more assets in 1.10 vs. 1.01. There must be a ton more which I expect each version will roll out. 1.10 likely has only a small fraction of the assets - even its 50% now, there will be so much more on the way.

There are still 2 obvious major things missing - mode completion points and a hold-flipper-for-status-report.

What level of awesomeness will it be at by version 6.0???!!!

#9750 3 years ago
Quoted from B9:

Just had a great game

Film it?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 195 of 201.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside