Topic Stats

• 10,044 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 714 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOB (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
No.gif
IMG_9476_(resized).JPG
47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 194 of 201.
#9651 3 years ago

Quoted from Eskaybee:Dang, so 30+ modes of linear progression? That's worse than Star Trek. Not complaining, STLE is one of my favorites, but Hopefully it all meshes together well.

Well, not like RS where you always start in one place and are limited in which modes you can start. You can start any mode, but you can't have two running at once. There is plenty of other things to "stack" though.

#9652 3 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Dang, so 30+ modes of linear progression? That's worse than Star Trek. Not complaining, STLE is one of my favorites, but Hopefully it all meshes together well.

I thought I heard you will have control over what mode to start. Personally I think stacking modes at a certain point takes away from the game and makes everything seem like a mess.

#9653 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

False. He didn't order directly from JJP as he said. A distrib who likely had one in inventory he wanted to sell.
Stop spreading B.S.

Whats the BS?

His new money delivered a game YEARS ahead of old money (pre orderers).

I never suggested he ordered it from JJP... simply looking at the FACTS.

#9654 3 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

But wouldn't it be equivalent to me keeping my day one order that I received a couple of weeks ago NIB then selling it to someone else?

How would JJP be doing anything wrong in that scenario?

#9655 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I thought I heard you will have control over what mode to start. Personally I think stacking modes at a certain point takes away from the game and makes everything seem like a mess.

When I was thinking of stacking, I was thinking of it as a Gandalf mode (shooting vuks or orbits) with a dwarf mode (shooting drops).

You get to control the modes you play in STLE and have decisions on when to play certain modes for the most advantageous position. I love STLE a lot but the problem I have with this style of code is the linear and marathon-like progression to other modes (kobayashi, enterprise amok, 5 yr mission). And there's 18 modes in STLE which is nearly half what hobbit will have.

That said, looking at the hobbits game map again, it looks like opening up 'the good stuff' and getting the board lit will not be dependent of these 30+ modes but rather one mode with a stack of other features in the game. So this takes away from the linear progression and adds BREADTH which STLE is sorely missing.

So I think what's really missing at this point is the other features and multi balls, etc....

Keith is one of my favorite programmers cause of his madman genius abilities to pull this kind of stuff off, can't wait to see it all come together.

#9656 3 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

But wouldn't it be equivalent to me keeping my day one order that I received a couple of weeks ago NIB then selling it to someone else?
How would JJP be doing anything wrong in that scenario?

Who said there was anything "wrong"?

I simply said "new money > old money" , and I stand by it. It was true for WoZ, it'll be true now.

#9657 3 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Do you think they will or there is a way to tie the modes altogether so you can have them running concurrently?

I don't think so. But you can choose which mode to play by hitting the left ramp when Book is lit. The mode will advance each time the ramp is hit, but you also have until the ball hits the inlane to change the modes (forwards and backwards) with the flipper buttons.

I like having only a single mode running at a time because it gives me something to concentrate on and the sound and visual cues don't get muddled.

Though you can't stack modes, some modes are very short (single shot) and you can finish and start new modes during multiball.

According to Keith, there will be a lot of strategy to the order in which you choose modes, should you play the game that way. Idea being that the game grows with you.

#9658 3 years ago

I thought the distributors had to pre pay also. So this "new" money is not going to JJP as they already got paid for the game a long time ago. (When the distributor pre ordered the game).

#9659 3 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

I simply said "new money > old money" , and I stand by it. It was true for WoZ, it'll be true now.

But for WOZ wasn't it true for a very specific reason, that JJP was taking new orders on WOZ Standards and then making and shipping them out in place of making and shipping the WOZLEs for which it had already been paid? That may well happen again with Hobbit, of course, but it seems like what halpain24 described here is a different scenario.

#9660 3 years ago

Maybe I opened a can of worms with all this being so excited
but I don't see it as new money>Old money because if someone backed out of a pin that the distributor already had and they sold it to me then, unless that distributor had someone waiting in line before me I skipped no one. Maybe someone else had an SE on order but not that number correct? and even then I guess I didn't know where they stand shipping anyway. Are people out there still waiting? I know people waited years due to preorders, but I thought those were shipping now. Anyway, didn't mean to rile people up. Just exited to play it. Plus it's really for the wife. So I'm glad she's happy.

#9661 3 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

I think you are implying that since some Distributors have games in stock for immediate sale it means JJP is somehow bypassing the longstanding pre-order LEs and letting these distributors jump the line.

Those two things don't logically follow.

More likely there are distributors that placed orders on day one so they would have stock to sell when the game was released to capitalize on any initial hype and impatient non-pre-order buyers. Smart business practice.

If anything, I would guess that JJP may be allowing pre-order LE buyers to jump the line by not shipping all of the distributor day one (or pre-day one) orders first.

#9662 3 years ago
Quoted from halpain24:

Don't worry about it. You did nothing wrong sharing your excitement here. Whenever a distributor sells a game before every pre-order is delivered, JJP gets accused of taking new money over old.

If anything, the distributor is the one who could be at fault if he kept one of his pre-order customers waiting to sell a new game to you. However, this is unlikely as not only are the pre-order LEs and SEs numbered, but they may also be customized with a playfield protector, rad-cals and extra dragon head.

#9663 3 years ago
Quoted from halpain24:

but I don't see it as new money>Old money because if someone backed out of a pin that the distributor already had and they sold it to me then, unless that distributor had someone waiting in line before me I skipped no one. Maybe someone else had an SE on order but not that number correct? and even then I guess I didn't know where they stand shipping anyway. Are people out there still waiting? I know people waited years due to preorders, but I thought those were shipping now. Anyway, didn't mean to rile people up. Just exited to play it. Plus it's really for the wife. So I'm glad she's happy.

Yes, a lot of people that paid in full 40 months ago are still waiting for their game. If I were a distributor, I would make sure everyone that placed an order through me received their games based upon when they placed their order...then sell any unsold games. And maybe that's what happened in your case - but regardless, you did nothing wrong - enjoy your new Hobbit!

#9664 3 years ago

I think stacking modes would be just too much to follow at the same time because there is so many other things also happening.

As long as the modes is not linear (having to start the same mode first each time) I am totally fine with the way it is. You can stack modes with multiballs and multiballs with multiballs. Plenty of stacking already. It would just be to chaotic to be able to stack the modes because of the countdown and progression clips on the monitor.

From what little I understand, you can qualify more than one mode at the same time and choose the mode you would like to play. That is a cool feature that I applaud.

Only been watching videos so far, but what I am missing is more callouts during modes and multiballs. Stuff like only one shot left, the title of the mode, etc. Everything is starting to shape up nicely but everything would make more sense with a few more callouts. You are not always able to look up to see whats happening on the screen. The power of callouts is the one thing I feel are lacking in most newer games, though. If done well, they can really make a huge difference.

It would also be cool if the main multiball had more layers, like lotr of bop 2.0. It is one of the key features of the game, but so far it looks like it is just jackpot after jackpot. Next time, you start over again. How about when you get to the second multiball the dragon heads down to laketown if you reached a super the first time. Just as an example

I know most Stern games does it the same way, but I just love those few games that has more intricate multiball rules.

Since I have just been watching videos, I might be totally off regarding the multiball rules. If so, I am sorry. They seem ok now, but there is clearly room for some improvement in that department, to make everything a bit more exciting. The feeling of achievement is really important for me.

I am really excited to see the rules mature. I am already impressed by what they have come up with for this game. And all the groundwork seems really impressing and are most certainly a herculean task that not just anybody could pull off.

I am really happy that we have Ted and Keith working on this. If anyone can bring out the best, it is those two. Maybe we are even a bit
selfish and have set the bar too high?

So this is not meant as a complaint. Far from it. Just a few observations. It is already pretty epic.

Heard from Jen that my game will reach Europe in May, so the excitement level is reaching Andromeda Hights right now

#9665 3 years ago

I just didn't wanna rub it in peoples faces. I figured LE and SEs were numbered so everyone would know what number they got, and if one was cancelled the distributor wouldn't sell that same number to someone that had a different number originally told to them. Anywho it's being unloaded as we speak.

#9666 3 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

belarus-seven-ton-manure-spreader-brochure-2344-p_(resized).jpg

#9667 3 years ago
Quoted from karl:

It would also be cool if the main multiball had more layers, like lotr of bop 2.0. It is one of the key features of the game, but so far it looks like it is just jackpot after jackpot.

Quoted from karl:

I am really happy that we have Ted and Keith working on this. If anyone can bring out the best, it is those two. Maybe we are even a bit
selfish and have set the bar too high?

Has Keith even done a ruleset without multiball progression? I'm not concerned and really like the way the game is shaping up.

A friend came over the other day to play the Hobbit. After everything he has read on Pinside, he was surprised at how fast the game was, how much he liked the way the game played and how good the shots felt.

I asked him if he felt my review (below) was accurate.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2016-hobbit-update-thread-1/page/26#post-3075615

He thought for a moment then surprised me by saying he didn't think I spoke highly enough of the game.

#9668 3 years ago

I have played the game and I like it. Other have played it and said not for them. Therefore I think this pin will be all over the map on its appeal (much like WOZ - which I also like).

I don't think either is a top 5 pinball of all time, but they certainly are exceptional in their own way.

#9669 3 years ago
Quoted from halpain24:

I just didn't wanna rub it in peoples faces. I figured LE and SEs were numbered so everyone would know what number they got, and if one was cancelled the distributor wouldn't sell that same number to someone that had a different number originally told to them. Anywho it's being unloaded as we speak.

Didn't in any way mean to squash your excitement! Very exciting for you!! I was just curious about which distributor, because if the distributor sold you a machine before they fulfilled their existing pre-orders, they should be called out on it.

Enjoy your game!!!

#9670 3 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Whats the BS?
I never suggested he ordered it from JJP... simply looking at the FACTS.

No you are making the statement that the particular distributor HE bought from had one in inventory and didn't deliver that inventory game to someone who was potentially waiting for it via a preorder from that distrib. There is no way you can make that determination. You have no idea if that distrib took any preorders at all or just purchased for inventory with the intent to sell later. Your premise and ASSUMPTIONS are just flat out wrong and have absolutely no way to be quantified. They were made with the sole purpose of causing an uproar.

#9671 3 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I have played the game and I like it. Other have played it and said not for them. Therefore I think this pin will be all over the map on its appeal (much like WOZ - which I also like).
I don't think either is a top 5 pinball of all time, but they certainly are exceptional in their own way.

I totally agree with your first point and I am proving it (your first point) by disagreeing with you regarding WOZ not being a top 5 pin.

#9672 3 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Actually, in this case, it still took the old money (from the Distributor->JJP). If old money (from the Distributor->JJP) wasn't applied then new money wouldn't even be possible. So by the logic, Old Money must be > New Money, because New Money wouldn't be possible without it.

#9673 3 years ago

my assumption would be that is was an order a customer backed out of or a dist ordered for inventory as SE orders only had a very short window open to order.

#9674 3 years ago

I believe WOZ and TH in a few years will be regarded by many as excellent pins. Having JJP, Spooky Pinball, and others enter into making pins will hopefully add creativity and fun that otherwise might not have happened. This isn't an anti-Stern statement and let's no get into that fight, please. I was and still am excited by the WOZ I own. Now very glad to see people receiving TH and hearing many positives about that. I played a TH for many games and really hope to own one before too long.

#9675 3 years ago

Okay finally got my Smaug31 in yesterday. Unpacked, dialed in today.

Beautiful, beautiful machine. Stunning.

It is fun and overwhelming. Lots of info, in a very good way. Experiences with this platform just do NOT compare to other platforms.

I can't think of ANY pinball EVER that integrates the cinematic resources so well as this one.

Look forward to exploring it further.

#9676 3 years ago

So after a long, long, long day, I finally got home and got to unbox, setup, and play. I only have gotten to play a couple of games and have to get to bed for work tomorrow, but will put in plenty tomorrow evening. Here's a couple issues out of box. I noticed a plastic screw in the bottom of the cab and figured out its one of the screws to level the drop targets. I look further and notice 4 are laying in the cab and not in their places. Then I noticed the rest don't have their lock nut tightened at all. So I set all the drop targets. I know this is minor but still caught me a little off guard. Only other thing is I notice the "C" Lock button doesnt register well. It only seems to register from behind when hit perfect. Anyone else notice this type of thing? the others register from every direction pretty easily. Anyway, nothing major still just thought I'd check. Aside from that everything is great, and I'm sure that can be resolved.

#9677 3 years ago
Quoted from halpain24:

So after a long, long, long day, I finally got home and got to unbox, setup, and play. I only have gotten to play a couple of games and have to get to bed for work tomorrow, but will put in plenty tomorrow evening. Here's a couple issues out of box. I noticed a plastic screw in the bottom of the cab and figured out its one of the screws to level the drop targets. I look further and notice 4 are laying in the cab and not in their places. Then I noticed the rest don't have their lock nut tightened at all. So I set all the drop targets. I know this is minor but still caught me a little off guard. Only other thing is I notice the "C" Lock button doesnt register well. It only seems to register from behind when hit perfect. Anyone else notice this type of thing? the others register from every direction pretty easily. Anyway, nothing major still just thought I'd check. Aside from that everything is great, and I'm sure that can be resolved.

The rollover button just needs a little adjustment. Easy to do.

#9678 3 years ago

I'm in the UK. Ordered my SMAUG Jan 2013. Have been told that my hobbit will be here by Xmas! This was too long to wait and have asked for it to be sent earlier.

My distributer is saying wait until potential hardware issues have been resolved (WOZ boards). Have any test machines had issues apart from the ramp welds? What about the Home owners? I know it's still early days but what are the impressions.

Thanks

#9679 3 years ago

WOZ and Hobbit are jam packed with so much (just look under the hood) that more is likely to go wrong. There's probably going to be a loose screw or a switch needs adjusting no matter when you get your machine. It appears all things major have been corrected but maybe not. That said JJP always seems to correct a problem and make things right and Frank and Lloyd can get you through any problem - JJP service is the best I've experienced.

#9680 3 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I uploaded 2 videos of some game play at Boxcar (http://theboxcarbar.com) in North Carolina.

Have you been back lately? I was trying to figure out if they updated the software to 1.0x yet?

#9681 3 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Have you been back lately? I was trying to figure out if they updated the software to 1.0x yet?

I haven't - but perhaps next weekend I will go. If you find out please let me know.

#9682 3 years ago

Have you guys seen this??! It's pretty remarkable

https://vimeo.com/mattbucy/ootw

#9683 3 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

Weird! Know any backstory on this, like what the editor was trying to acomplish?

#9684 3 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

Alphabetized the credits and script word appearance, indexed to the video clips when said. Nothing amazing, just silly.

#9685 3 years ago

#9686 3 years ago

You mean silly amount of work. What an editing nightmare!

#9687 3 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

You mean silly amount of work. What an editing nightmare!

Clips were likely automated no doubt. They only had 77 years to monkey with the film to slice and dice it any way you can imagine.

#9688 3 years ago
Quoted from B9:

That's because you did the delta update and it doesn't update the settings.
I had the same results and moved my main flippers to 22 after the delta upgrade but didn't touch any of the other settings.
I set my playfield to 9 degrees for fast action

Thanks! I didn't mess with the settings since I got the game and now that I have updated I wonder what the defaults are for .81. I checked my settings and 22 is the default for flippers with the new code. IIRC the default for the ball trough VUK is 8 which is way too low, my game set at that couldn't eject a ball. I had to set it to 22 which seems like a good setting.

I just received my new shielded audio cable and tested it out on my lunch break. It cleared up all of the audio issues I was having. So my stream and upload to YouTube this evening will be so much better. My play... probably not much of an improvement

#9689 3 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Weird! Know any backstory on this, like what the editor was trying to acomplish?

Here's an article about the alphabetical edit. It doesn't really answer the question, "why?"

http://www.avclub.com/article/alphabetical-wizard-oz-recut-both-orderly-and-chao-230217

#9690 3 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

I just received my new shielded audio cable and tested it out on my lunch break. It cleared up all of the audio issues I was having. So my stream and upload to YouTube this evening will be so much better.

Looking good

What do you use to capture the video ?

#9691 3 years ago

I like how fire shows on the book when Smaug blows fire in Smaug multiball and water splashes on it when the ball is in the pops. Nice touch!

#9692 3 years ago
Quoted from B9:

» YouTube video
Looking good

I'm using three Logitech C920 web cams. Let me tell you they weren't built to run all on the same PC, it took some doing to make them work correctly.

#9693 3 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

water splashes on it when the ball is in the pops.

I had just noticed this the other day when I was playing, probably 50 games in and never saw it. Little things like that show the amount of attention and detail they put into this. I really hope it continues with the code and even more amazing add-ons.

#9694 3 years ago

The Gollum Riddles in the Dark mode is really neat with the 1.01 code. There are a lot of great modes, but I think this mode in particular puts into perspective how polished this entire machine code wise will be when Keith and Ted are done. The code on this is already very good and will only get better. Also, with so many modes, after two hours + of play last night, I was still getting modes I had never seen before. I know some people do not like the linear play aspect, but with so many modes/diversity (already) it feels more open ended then any other "mode based" game, I have ever played before.

#9695 3 years ago

Wow, great video! There are so many cool aspects added to the games code that you will see no where else in pinball other then in JJP games. Keith and Ted are masters at this stuff.

#9696 3 years ago

That's a great video above, you can actually see what is going on in each mode, thanks.

#9697 3 years ago
Quoted from plinde1:

I know some people do not like the linear play aspect, but with so many modes/diversity (already) it feels more open ended then any other "mode based" game, I have ever played before.

I'm sure this has been covered somewhere, but when you say linear, how are the modes selected? Is it completely linear like always starting with the same mode and progressing through to the end? Or are you able to select modes somehow? Or is it random?

#9698 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

I'm sure this has been covered somewhere, but when you say linear, how are the modes selected? Is it completely linear like always starting with the same mode and progressing through to the end? Or are you able to select modes somehow? Or is it random?

When you hit the left ramp you can cycle through the available modes until the ball returns.

#9699 3 years ago
Quoted from B9:

» YouTube video
Looking good

I didn't watch the whole video yet, but wow! This is the best video and representation of hobbit I've seen yet. Well done! Is this Hugh's setup? May I ask what pitch you have the game at? And it looked like you may have changed the difficulty to light lock, no? I'll watch the rest tomorrow. Thanks for sharing.

#9700 3 years ago

Thanks for shooting the vid above, that really helps me evaluate the game. Some quick notes:

+ This game looks like it shoots extremely well. I am a big fan of the balance of shots, 2 spinners, 3 banks of drops, 3 flippers, and the absence of mini-playfields. I'm open to the idea that it may very well be the best layout of all time. We'll see... I cannot wait to play this in person.

- As for the audio. I listened to it while coding (with the video off), and I gotta tell you, it was very... "frenetic" -- I gotta say -- it didn't sound like a pinball machine *at all* to me, it sounded like a cat attacking a dvd remote, and not letting any scene on a movie finish out. Does that make sense? Listen to the audio in isolation... Does that stop/start/stop/start movie soundtrack feel work for you? Not me.

-mof

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 11.95
There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 194 of 201.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside