47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg
There are 10,044 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 201.
#901 10 years ago

Very exciting whitewoods. This is a very different game from WOZ. That should mean they will pair up well in a collection.

#902 10 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Assuming Trumpers are test only and did not get tornadoed to Middle Earth.

It would be cool if they used them in every game.

Better than cows?

#903 10 years ago
Quoted from HENSBROOKER:

Yepz... hope they don't make it in the final version!
How about the scoring? Isn't it a bit lame to have such a low scoring increments?

Yes, when you bust your ass playing for 5 minutes, who wants to look up and see... Oh I got 13 points.

The upswing to this is, when you beat your wife, she might not feel as bad only loosing by 5 points.

#904 10 years ago

I like the low scoring. Maybe it's a bit too scaled back, but I liked the low scoring in general. More like in Whirlwind and similar, where getting a shot worth a MILLION was an accomplishment. Makes it so much more awesome... The too high scoring values, combined with low jackpot values makes for lame jackpots.. Sorta.

#905 10 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

The upswing to this is, when you beat your wife

You're a stand up guy to be sure, but man... sometimes things just come out wrong on the internet

#906 10 years ago

It's really nice to see some flow! What do the upper flippers shoot at? I'm assuming the target banks?

#907 10 years ago
Quoted from S37VEN:

It's really nice to see some flow! What do the upper flippers shoot at?

Not sure, this is a common comment on most of the hobbit info released, but I am sure it will be figured out soon enough.

#908 10 years ago
Quoted from FrederikFrost:

I like the low scoring. Maybe it's a bit too scaled back, but I liked the low scoring in general. More like in Whirlwind and similar, where getting a shot worth a MILLION was an accomplishment. Makes it so much more awesome... The too high scoring values, combined with low jackpot values makes for lame jackpots.. Sorta.

Yeah Whirlwind scoring that's fine, but this is super low. The guy got 759 points on one entire ball and was playing for over a minute. WW gives you more than that for hitting one bumper.

Quoted from chadderack:

You're a stand up guy to be sure, but man... sometimes things just come out wrong on the internet

Doh!

#909 10 years ago
Quoted from mummite:

Not sure, this is a common comment on most of the hobbit info released, but I am sure it will be figured out soon enough.

I mean there HAS to be something that can either only be hit by the upper flippers or something that is much easier to hit with the upper rather than lower flippers -- most likely the latter.

#910 10 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

Yeah Whirlwind scoring that's fine, but this is super low. The guy got 759 points on one entire ball and was playing for over a minute. WW gives you more than that for hitting one bumper.

I agree. I like how they scaled it back, but they went too far.

#911 10 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

You realize that this is a whitewood with like, basically no code to it, right?

--Luke

#912 10 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

The upswing to this is, when you beat your wife

There are strict guidelines concerning this

#913 10 years ago
Quoted from HighNoon:

You realize that this is a whitewood with like, basically no code to it, right?
--Luke

YEah, but looking at WoZ it sorta similar in simplicity, and it's a bit too simple! As long as its "just a whitwood with no code" we have a chance of being heard!

#914 10 years ago
Quoted from FrederikFrost:

I agree. I like how they scaled it back, but they went too far.

I think they scaled back a little too much on the artwork too. No way I'm getting the game now with it looking like that.

#915 10 years ago
Quoted from HENSBROOKER:

Yepz... hope they don't make it in the final version!
How about the scoring? Isn't it a bit lame to have such a low scoring increments?

This is why all pinball companies hate releasing work in progress stuff. This is a whitewood...don't look at the scoring lol....if the numbers move it's pretty much just to indicate the ball touched something.

#916 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

This is why all pinball companies hate releasing work in progress stuff. This is a whitewood...don't look at the scoring lol....if the numbers move it's pretty much just to indicate the ball touched something.

Can we quote you when its done and the scoring is still super low ?

I understand its a work in progress, but there is a precident for low scoring in WOZ that kind of makes it feasable that its not going to change except for hitting some targets that might not be there yet.

It's all good either way, just stating a preference.

#917 10 years ago

The ramps look really cool. Likely the diverter can make the ramps go to the inner dueling ramp based on extra buttons next to the flipper buttons similar to TS.
It will be interesting to see how the upper flippers are needed in gameplay as I am sure they have a specific purpose.

#918 10 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

Can we quote you when its done and the scoring is still super low ?
I understand its a work in progress, but there is a precident for low scoring in WOZ that kind of makes it feasable that its not going to change except for hitting some targets that might not be there yet.
It's all good either way, just stating a preference.

I dunno - after watching this whitewood I had a ton of questions/criticisms...but I'm just kinda sitting on it since it's clearly just an early shooting whitewood with most features "temp'd" in. Cool to see...but not sure I can judge what's to come by seeing it.

#919 10 years ago

Anybody else notice the serpentine return habittrail from the right ramp? It appears to be a small tribute to the Mount Doom serpentine habittrail in LOTR.

#920 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I dunno - after watching this whitewood I had a ton of questions/criticisms...but I'm just kinda sitting on it since it's clearly just an early shooting whitewood with most features "temp'd" in. Cool to see...but not sure I can judge what's to come by seeing it.

Funny, my reaction was virtually identical. Plenty to criticize but things will obviously change a lot, so there's not much reason to comment about the pin.

I personally don't think that there is much positive to come out of JJP posting these whitewood videos.

#921 10 years ago

Fish tales u ramp. Mm trolls. Lotr rails.

#922 10 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

Fish Tales u ramp. Mm trolls. Lotr rails.

Don't forget WOZ bumpers...

#924 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I personally don't think that there is much positive to come out of JJP posting these whitewood videos.

Although I like seeing the videos, I think it would have been better to keep the game under wraps until it was complete. People just don't seem to get that it is a work in progress.

#925 10 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

Fish Tales u ramp. Mm trolls. Lotr rails.

I was like "It's the Fish Tales ramp but something's off...the ball keeps going to the same flipper that shot it" ...looked at a Fish Tales pic - "Oh! It doesn't have the cross-over wireforms for the Figure-8 effect"

...but I think there's a diverter there, right? So, it could go to the upper flipper...I think?

I dunno.

Really trying to figure out the point of the upper flippers....but again - whitewood...let's see where this goes.

#926 10 years ago

I really liked the busy LED laden WOZ playfield. I hope they add more to this one.

#927 10 years ago

And the drop target/stand up/spinners dual action targets have not been revealed, dual action smaug toy.
As well as the 2 lower pop ups. They could be Trolls or like in TOM they could be cave entrances

Flipper buttons like SWEP1/RFM with dual action buttons to control ramp diverters. This is gonna be a blast !

#928 10 years ago

What are stand up spinners and duel action targets?

#929 10 years ago

Remember the WOZ updates where they would move the proto to a different corner of the building & call it an update? This seems like video of them playing the game in the same status it was in at the last update.

Not much to see. I look FW to some meat/taters updates however.

#930 10 years ago
Quoted from mummite:

what are the details are these target banks?

They can't disclose that at this time.

#931 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

There are strict guidelines concerning this
» YouTube video

It's a process.... LLLLLLMFAO!!!!!!! I wonder if this process is QS or TS rated?

#932 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Probably the most negative post EVER.

#933 10 years ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

Says the biggest troll on Pinside EVER.

#934 10 years ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

Nowhere close.

Read pinside much the last 6 months?

Alzheimer's maybe?

#935 10 years ago

Did you ever realize that every time you use the

It spells RobT roll?

Funny how things work out huh?

#936 10 years ago

I was thinking that the U center ramp may end up being Smaug's mouth.

#937 10 years ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

Probably the most negative post EVER

I don't read RobT's post as negative. Tend to agree with this comment that not much may be learnt from this whitewood videos. I am not sure JJP should have released them. Assuming I was considering ordering the Hobbit, I do not see how these videos would convince me. Not saying the final product will be bad - it may be awesome -.

#938 10 years ago

anything been mentioned about voice/callouts? anyone 'significant' doing 'em.
if it was mentioned earlier, or another thread, apologies.

#939 10 years ago

Mentioned in Hobbit Video thread but anyone else notice that the purple targets in front of Smaug area appear to be in a slot. I'm guessing that the target will slide to left in front of VUK to enable strikes on Smaug.

#940 10 years ago

Anyone think there will be targets on the back side of the pop-up trolls?

#941 10 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

Mentioned in Hobbit Video thread but anyone else notice that the purple targets in front of Smaug area appear to be in a slot. I'm guessing that the target will slide to left in front of VUK to enable strikes on Smaug.

Thanks for pointing that out

#942 10 years ago
Quoted from B9:

Anyone think there will be targets on the back side of the pop-up trolls?

For sure. Either that or a rear accessible scoop (that sounds so wrong) would be cool.

Looking at the ramp horseshoe diverter and the fact that the ramp entrances (exits) point directly to the back of the pop-ups, I would guess there is something to hit behind them.

Since there has been a lot of talk / speculation that there is going to be under playfield subways, it would be pretty cool if the trolls were really scoops you could only access by hitting the ramp and activating the diverter.

#943 10 years ago

#944 10 years ago
Quoted from retired_user_101:

how about alternating 'troll' or 'scoop'. the part switches out prior to trapdoor lifting up

Or maybe once up the popup could spin to show a 'scoop' or a troll ???

#945 10 years ago

#946 10 years ago

Sounds cool, but would not fit in the assembly as showed in the whitewood...

#947 10 years ago
Quoted from HENSBROOKER:

Sounds cool, but would not fit in the assembly as showed in the whitewood...

No worries......it is just a very very early produced whitewood

#948 10 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

rear accessible scoop

I'm coining the term "JJP Pooper Scooper" right now. Just for the record.

Sliding standups? That ain't innovation if true. EM's did that back in the 60's, man. But it would be cool to see them make a return.

#949 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I'm coining the term "JJP Pooper Scooper" right now. Just for the record.
Sliding standups? That ain't innovation if true. EM's did that back in the 60's, man. But it would be cool to see them make a return.

Isn't the goalie in WCS94 a sliding standup?

It's a cool feature. Sliding drop targets might be impossible, but that would be insane

#950 10 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

Isn't the goalie in WCS94 a sliding standup?
It's a cool feature. Sliding drop targets might be impossible, but that would be insane

I think it could be done but you need the space above and below for both the bracket and target to move.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 25.50
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

There are 10,044 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 201.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-update-1/page/19 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.