47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg
There are 10,044 posts in this topic. You are on page 189 of 201.
#9401 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Jack mentions a tunnel in the ign unboxing video. I did not notice this when I played hobbit. Whenever the ball went in a hole, it came back out the same hole. Anyone know more about this?

There is a magnet near the top of the orbit which can catch the ball, then drop it into the subway. The subway has two paths (to either of the VUKs), and according to the feature sheet the subway path will be player controllable.

#9402 8 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

There is a magnet near the top of the orbit which can catch the ball, then drop it into the subway. The subway has two paths (to either of the VUKs), and according to the feature sheet the subway path will be player controllable.

Wow. Sounds bitchin! Must not be coded yet? I really hope we see some significant code updates pile in soon on this game.

#9403 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Wow. Sounds bitchin! Must not be coded yet? I really hope we see some significant code updates pile in soon on this game.

I did notice that hitting the back subway behind Smaug (not the left VUK) lead to one of the VUK holes. Maybe it is already programmed and we just don't know how it works? IE, if you hold a flipper while the ball is in the subway it diverts.

#9405 8 years ago
Quoted from craigj:

As far as I can tell not a single actual customer has received one yet. Just distributors and a special select few business's (bars, etc.)

Jen just called. Mine may arrive Friday and I am not a business. Woot!

#9407 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Ugh... those windows are brutal- and TH is almost the farthest from them- the other pins are even WORSE! Guess they really want ppl to come at night (and drink more!)
How did you find the center ramp shots? I felt myself wanting a bit more OOOMF behind the flippers.....Sometimes the ball wouldn't even carry all the way around the loop - and just fall back down the other ramp entrance...But then again, it could also be attributed to my sloppy, imperfect shots.

They are moving the pins away from the widows to the upper part where the pacman and DK machines are. Should help with glare.

#9408 8 years ago
Quoted from DougPiranha:

Congrats! If I wasn't at college, I'd ask to give it a try! My distributor said early to late May for my Hobbit. Anyways, take lots of pics of the unboxing!

#9410 8 years ago
Quoted from DougPiranha:

Jen told me today, that either Friday, or early next week. Im a regular customer too.

#9412 8 years ago

What was your Order date?

#9415 8 years ago

Am I the only one noticing double or even triple posting is rampant on Pinside lately? Gotta be some issue with mobile access.

#9416 8 years ago

And that has to be it as my phone didn't show I had posted above so it's easy to see why people keep clicking "send post"

#9417 8 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

Am I the only one noticing double or even triple posting is rampant on Pinside lately? Gotta be some issue with mobile access.

It's just because people are getting told to expect their hobbits this week or next, people going crazy clicking send with excitement

#9418 8 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

iPads and mobile devices aren't working properly. You click Send Post and nothing happens so one does it again and it actually is posting every time.

#9419 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballer0415:

iPads and mobile devices aren't working properly. You click Send Post and nothing happens so one does it again and it actually is posting every time.

It's doing it my computer as well. But yes, you need to hit send then refresh

#9420 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

How did you find the center ramp shots? I felt myself wanting a bit more OOOMF behind the flippers.....

That was my pervading thought the entire time I was playing it.

#9421 8 years ago

I am a day 1 order.

#9422 8 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

That was my pervading thought the entire time I was playing it.

I'm anxious to see a pinsider here gets theres, crank up the flippers and the angle and compare the speed.

If weak flippers is the only dig on the gameplay, this thing is a winner for sure!

#9423 8 years ago

My wife walked away, shrugged and said "Maybe I just don't like widebody machines..." Which sucks, because I'd like an Embryon and at least one of Heighway's offerings.

I too would like to play it with the flippers jacked to the 9's. The first AMH I played was in a personal collection with the flippers cranked the whole way up and I was blown away by it. I've played a half dozen different AMH since then but none were nearly as impressive. It's probably more wear and tear though so I could understand why one wouldn't be set up that way on location.

#9424 8 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

I too would like to play it with the flippers jacked to the 9's. The first AMH I played was in a personal collection with the flippers cranked the whole way up and I was blown away by it.

I think theres something more satisfying about hitting a shot the rockets to the top of the playfield.

I watched a bunch of ghostbusters video today and speed of the ball coking off the flippers its starkly different from watching the TH vids.

It's a bit surprising after all the crap about WoZ flippers that JJP wouldn't have erred on the side of MORE POWER and cranked the babies up.... Hell, pre-order a set of trolls right now, it'd be worth it!

Hopefully we'll have some unboxing and gameplay vids early next week from pinsiders to compare.

#9425 8 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

My wife walked away, shrugged and said "Maybe I just don't like widebody machines..." Which sucks, because I'd like an Embryon and at least one of Heighway's offerings.
I too would like to play it with the flippers jacked to the 9's. The first AMH I played was in a personal collection with the flippers cranked the whole way up and I was blown away by it. I've played a half dozen different AMH since then but none were nearly as impressive. It's probably more wear and tear though so I could understand why one wouldn't be set up that way on location.

Embryon is AWESOME, but definitely feels like a widebody. FullT is really good from what I've played, but it DOES NOT feel like a wide body. That game isn't for everyone, but certainly don't turn it away because you fear it feels like other widebodies...it doesn't.

#9426 8 years ago

Definitely was a glitch on pinside. I'm posting from my PC and it was not showing it. Hence the double post.

#9427 8 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

Let your wife play Stern Big Game and she will see how fast a widebody can be!

#9428 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Let your wife play Stern Quicksliver and she will see how fast a widebody can be!
» YouTube video

Cough...that's a Big Game.....Cough

#9429 8 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Cough...that's a Big Game.....Cough

LOL, too many windows open.......

#9430 8 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Embryon is AWESOME, but definitely feels like a widebody. FullT is really good from what I've played, but it DOES NOT feel like a wide body. That game isn't for everyone, but certainly don't turn it away because you fear it feels like other widebodies...it doesn't.

Haha yeah Embryon embodies (sorry) the genius of a widebody that doesn't need to be fast to be challenging. I almost bought one this year but I have too many other machines I want more. I've had the itch to check out FullT and even tried to catch it at Kickback in Pittsburgh last time I was out there but they had just pulled it and put a cherry BoP in it's place.

Quoted from vid1900:

Let your wife play Stern Big Game and she will see how fast a widebody can be!

Funny thing about that, there's a BG where we were playing The Hobbit this past weekend. I suggested she try it but I don't know if she did or not. She's obsessed with EBD right now but I put quite a few plays on it. The theme isn't for me at all but it's really a fun machine!

#9431 8 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

She's obsessed with EBD right now

She's got good taste.

EBD is better than most DMD games.

#9432 8 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

The Twitch stream of a Hobbit about 2 hours ago said otherwise (compared to a lot of the reports). It looked like it was playing very quickly, and the slingshots looked absolutely nuclear ... pf was raked at a considerable angle by the look of it too. It really did look VERY fast.

#9433 8 years ago

LE #947 now on way. Changed my mind after watching light show again/recent pics/and rulesheet.. should be here next week!

#9434 8 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

The Twitch stream of a Hobbit about 2 hours ago said otherwise (compared to a lot of the reports). It looked like it was playing very quickly, and the slingshots looked absolutely nuclear ... pf was raked at a considerable angle by the look of it too. It really did look VERY fast.

Link?

#9435 8 years ago
Quoted from PBINTHESOUTH:

LE #947 now on way. Changed my mind after watching light show again/recent pics/and rulesheet.. should be here next week!

Congratulations! Sounds like ours are on the same truck.

#9436 8 years ago

https://www.twitch.tv/seedees_pgh/v/54816122

PF visibility wasn't the best as they hadn't yet found a way to change the relevant webcam brightness / contrast and highlights were blown out, as they were streaming on a Mac. You can definitely see how much faster it is than some of the other ones we've seen though, and how fast the ball was shooting off the slingshots. It certainly wasn't struggling to get up the ramps. Multiball modes looked manic.

If you have concerns about the table being slow, I'd say they're irrelevant subject to setup of the game.

#9437 8 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Re-read my post, I'm not saying it can't be set up fast - but I don't judge games based on Twitch streams, I go play them. I have yet to play a fast Hobbit, even typing that made me chuckle.

#9438 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

She's got good taste.
EBD is better than most DMD games.

She's got better taste in pins than men, I'll say! EBD, Centaur, Sea Witch, TX Sector, Fireball.. Those are the games she wants right now but she's stuck with my dumb ass.

#9439 8 years ago

We had a blast playing the Hobbit at our weekly pinball tournament at Joystix in Houston last night.

shameless plug
www.joystixgames.com

#9440 8 years ago

Anyone get a price on an extra red Smaug to go with the SE? Not loving the gold Smaug...

Can understand if they need to ship it later until they have extras on hand...

. thanks.

#9441 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

We had a blast playing the Hobbit at our weekly pinball tournament at Joystix in Houston last night.
» YouTube video
shameless plug
http://www.joystixgames.com

Looks beautiful and looks real nice to shoot/play. GB also looks great and fun to shoot/play, which is just as good for the people waiting with orders as it is for pinball as a whole, after a pretty shitty year last year with one thing and another for a lot of people and the hobby in general it's looking like 2016 is going to be an awesome year with great games and success stories hopefully, and the next couple weeks are going to hopefully be especially sweet when Hobbits start showing up at doors

#9442 8 years ago

Finally! I got an email a few days ago that they put a Hobbit on the floor at Pinball Wizard in Pelham, New Hampshire. So I drove up there after work.

I played about 2.5 hours of Hobbit, and I had a blast! That is a pretty cool game. It has a lot going on, and it has a lot of subtlety as well.

The main Multiball is fairly easy to get. Just like WOZ, it is on the rollover switches, so it qualifies itself. The only time I shot for it was for the last lock, or near the end of a game. I was going for the jackpots at the ramp (alternating).

The orbit shots were pretty tight. Even after playing it a while I was having trouble hitting them.

Modes. Yup, there are a lot of them! Some were fairly simple (hit the right ramp for a hurryup), and some were complex. There is one change I don't like, and that was mode instructions. They seemed more clear on the LCD last year.

Postpone the lock? Yeah. The ring button allows you to switch off the lock light and start a mode instead. I really found that interesting with the strategy. I wasn't sure which was better, carrying the mode into the Multiball, or starting it during. I didn't quite figure out the launch sequence with the arrow and the moving bar on the windlance, but I'm sure I will at some point.

One complaint I had was the left VUK. It still misfires. This was an issue on the prototype, so I was surprised to see it on a production machine. It happened at least 10 times.

The feel of the game is even better than WOZ. It just had a really nice feel to the whole thing. I might have added a degree of pitch and a notch of flipper power. But clean shots hit the ramps fine.

It is a game of long shots. Precise shots were rewarded, and there was a bit of swearing at bad shots. There was nothing unfair though. Plenty of different skill shots, and I enjoyed competing for a few games on it. Overall it was worth the drive. I think it is going to be a good solid game.

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#9443 8 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

Anyone get a price on an extra red Smaug to go with the SE? Not loving the gold Smaug...
. thanks.

Extra Smaug toys are $200

#9444 8 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

. thanks.

I got the Smaug Edition - but I ordered an extra Smaug head (in red). Think it was 200 bucks.

#9445 8 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

. thanks.

It's my understanding that you get to choose which one you want. It's only a charge if you want an extra which was as mentioned somewhere in the $200 range (although I thought it was north of $200).

#9446 8 years ago

Thanks..thinking I need the gold for down the line if I ever sell need it for completing the SE (if it turns out to really be desireable)..

#9447 8 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

It's my understanding that you get to choose which one you want.

No. JJP confirmed on a few occasions that the LE features the red Smaug, while the SE is brushed gold. The heads aren't interchangeable. I don't think JJP wanted to murky the build process by mixing in different heads for different machines.

#9448 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

at Pinball Wizard in Pelham, New Hampshire.

I forgot to mention, the sound. PW is great because they are always there. So if needed, they would have adjusted the volume. However, they had it loud enough.

The sound on TH was really well done. It flowed well all the way through the game. It was booming when it should have been and more subdued as it stayed on script.

Also the lighting is much improved from WOZ. The overall GI was plenty bright. I was actually happy to see that the Replay effect of the green and white lights was the same as WOZ.

Mylar. Yeah, it's got Mylar. I did see a few slow moving balls effected by it. The first time I thought it was a divot in the playfield because it was moving slow and totally changed direction, but then I saw it. Slings, inlanes, in front of the popups. Kind of all around.

Oh, and the barrels splashing on the book screen was a cool effect. I'm glad they opened that shot to the pops during the redesign as well.

I'm looking forward to playing it again.

#9449 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I forgot to mention, the sound. PW is great because they are always there. So if needed, they would have adjusted the volume. However, they had it loud enough.
The sound on TH was really well done. It flowed well all the way through the game. It was booming when it should have been and more subdued as it stayed on script.
Also the lighting is much improved from WOZ. The overall GI was plenty bright. I was actually happy to see that the Replay effect of the green and white lights was the same as WOZ.
Mylar. Yeah, it's got Mylar. I did see a few slow moving balls effected by it. The first time I thought it was a divot in the playfield because it was moving slow and totally changed direction, but then I saw it. Slings, inlanes, in front of the popups. Kind of all around.
Oh, and the barrels splashing on the book screen was a cool effect. I'm glad they opened that shot to the pops during the redesign as well.
I'm looking forward to playing it again.

Nice write up Dave! Did they have a GOT premium??? That's it, I am going this weekend!

#9450 8 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Did they have a GOT premium??? That's it, I am going this weekend!

Still not there

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 25.50
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 10,044 posts in this topic. You are on page 189 of 201.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-update-1/page/189 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.