Topic Stats

• 10,044 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 714 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOB (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
No.gif
IMG_9476_(resized).JPG
47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 188 of 201.
#9351 4 years ago
Quoted from koops:

Did anyone purchase the replaceable decal "radcals" option?
Seeing that there is no side armour that covers around the flipper buttons so having a polycarb over the decals might actually protect them.

I didn't since it will be HUO. If I was going to route one I would consider it.
I would like to see exactly what the difference is between the ones on the game and the replaceable decals.

#9354 4 years ago

hobbit-double-post_(resized).jpg

#9355 4 years ago

hobbit-triple-post_(resized).jpg

#9356 4 years ago

I got a chance to play the hobbit at silver ball in asbury park, nj. The game looked great. The video and action on the LCD screen was pretty unreal. The shots were fun. I am not sure if all the games are like this but the flippers were very weak. The game played a little slow but it just could have been the way they had it set up.

#9357 4 years ago
Quoted from Diesel2627:

I got a chance to play the hobbit at silver ball in asbury park, nj. The game looked great. The video and action on the LCD screen was pretty unreal. The shots were fun. I am not sure if all the games are like this but the flippers were very weak. The game played a little slow but it just could have been the way they had it set up.

I play it a couple days ago when Jj was actually there visiting and getting feedback. Flippers were immensely weak, action was slow, flow was awful. Never was a fan of WOZ. I felt no different towards this machine.

That all being said, I solidified my decision on which two games to purchase next while I was there: AFM, and MMR.

#9358 4 years ago

Note to hobbit owners please pitch your hobbit at 7 deg. and crank up the flipper strength. I feel another flipper gate coming on. Not sure if I can live through that again.

#9359 4 years ago
Quoted from Diesel2627:

Today, I played The Hobbit at the Silverball Museum in Asbury Park, NJ. The flippers were sufficiently strong. Perhaps they have been adjusted since you played the machine. Other than me and my 10 year-old son, the museum had almost no patrons today at the dinner hour, in light of Superbowl 50. Consequently, my son and I were able to spend considerable time playing the game, without a line of customers behind us. I found the gameplay to be very engaging. The shots were inviting. The video integration was well-executed. The fit and finish of the game exudes quality. While I am not on The Hobbit preorder list, those who are awaiting delivery ought to be excited about this game. I do have a WOZECLE in my line-up, having been a preorder customer in June 2011, and having waited 3 full years for delivery of my WOZ. Like WOZ preorder customers, I am confident that TH preorder customers will ultimately conclude that it was well worth the wait.

Also, this was my first visit to the Silverball Museum in NJ. Silverball has a second location in Florida. Silverball is, in reality, an arcade, with only a hint of a museum's sensibility. It's a terrific place to take a family or simply visit alone and spend a day in the pinball zone, with dozens of electromechanical and modern pinball and arcade games.

#9360 4 years ago
Quoted from Diesel2627:

100% setup. They probably have the flipper power notched down since it's on location, and slightly less pitch, to lower the chance to cause breaks with all the plays it will get.

JJP flippers have settings to make them pretty much any strength you need, including so powerful you'll break everything.

#9362 4 years ago
Quoted from PinLen83:

I play it a couple days ago when Jj was actually there visiting and getting feedback. Flippers were immensely weak, action was slow, flow was awful. Never was a fan of WOZ. I felt no different towards this machine.
That all being said, I solidified my decision on which two games to purchase next while I was there: AFM, and MMR.

so you are getting two games that have basically the same layout and gameplay?

#9363 4 years ago
Quoted from xbloodgreenx:

so you are getting two games that have basically the same layout and gameplay?

As a matter of fact, yes. They both excite me equally.

#9364 4 years ago
Quoted from xbloodgreenx:

They probably have the flipper power notched down since it's on location, and slightly less pitch, to lower the chance to cause breaks with all the plays it will get.

It would probably be better PR to just put a spare set of plastics inside the cab and let the game rip some ass.

#9365 4 years ago

My WOZ did come with some extra plastics though not a full set. As this was my first NIB I thought all mfgs did that. A good idea anyway.

Flipper strength is set low from JJP but everything is very adjustable - nothing grates me more that a ball going halfway up a ramp. It's a simple adjustment. Ironically the pops at factory setting were way too strong. I had to reduce pop power about 30% - really quieted it down and the pops still did their job.

#9366 4 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

My WOZ did come with some extra plastics though not a full set. As this was my first NIB I thought all mfgs did that. A good idea anyway.

No manufacturers have ever done that.

Slingshot plastics and key fob is all you get typically and last Stern I got (Star Trek Pro) didn't even come with a key fob.

#9367 4 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

No manufacturers have ever done that.
Slingshot plastics and key fob is all you get typically and last Stern I got (Star Trek Pro) didn't even come with a key fob.

no key fob?....what a jip

#9368 4 years ago

Anyone else get their game? I'm assuming Hobbits are coming down the line.

#9369 4 years ago

No "normal" games yet. Jack does a cartwheel.

#9370 4 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

no key fob?....what a jip

Nothing except a manual with MMr. Talk about a jip!

#9371 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Nothing except a manual with MMr. Talk about a jip!

I believe the term is gyp, short for gypsy.

#9372 4 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

I believe the term is gyp, short for gypsy.

Is it? Well, learned something new.

1 week later
2 weeks later
#9375 3 years ago

It's nice of Jersey Joe to still allow jack to be the face of JJP.

#9378 3 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Didn't know there was a diverter above the ramp. Cool.

I remember saying that I hoped they took advantage (in some way) of the u-turn effect a FT-like ramp can produce. Looks like they really did. Having to worry about it whipping the ball right back at you when you make a clean shot = pretty awesome.

I'm still waiting to see one set up with a steeper pitch... I mean just to see it at this point. Every vid I've seen has it set at that slow lazy tabletop angle.

Pretty impressive ad for the game.

#9379 3 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

I remember saying that I hoped they took advantage (in some way) of the u-turn effect a FT-like ramp can produce. Looks like they really did. Having to worry about it whipping the ball right back at you when you make a clean shot = pretty awesome.
I'm still waiting to see one set up with a steeper pitch... I mean just to see it at this point. Every vid I've seen has it set at that slow lazy tabletop angle.
Pretty impressive ad for the game.

This video is probably the steepest

#9380 3 years ago

I'm actually ok if it's floaty - I don't want every game I own to kick me in the nuts - TWD/Tron/ST are all brutally fast.

#9381 3 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

This video is probably the steepest
ยป YouTube video

Yeah now that's more like it!

#9382 3 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

I'm actually ok if it's floaty - I don't want every game I own to kick me in the nuts - TWD/Tron/ST are all brutally fast.

It didn't play floaty to me today - seemed about right. I didn't feel like the ball was rocketing back to me, nor did I feel like I was waiting on the ball to roll down the playfield. In fact if I did get a brief delay it gave me a check to glance at the book for instruction - or take a quick look up at the LCD monitor to check mode progress.

Felt real nice guys, real nice.

#9383 3 years ago

The last I read on the ramp issue was someone stated that the Hobbit, they had seen, had additional welds on it. Does anyone know if this is the case and if so is this actually JJP's "fix" for the welds breaking??

Apologies if this is posted elsewhere and I didn't see it. Just thought an issue like this would've had more discussion. Hopefully that's due to it not being an issue!!

#9384 3 years ago

There is also a bracket added to each ramp. Someone posted a video gripping it and trying to move it. It was rock solid.

#9385 3 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

The last I read on the ramp issue was someone stated that the Hobbit, they had seen, had additional welds on it. Does anyone know if this is the case and if so is this actually JJP's "fix" for the welds breaking??
Apologies if this is posted elsewhere and I didn't see it. Just thought an issue like this would've had more discussion. Hopefully that's due to it not being an issue!!

Yes, additional brackets and additional welds is how you support welded metal.

#9386 3 years ago

So has anyone got their hobbit shipped yet for home use? Or is it just dealers and people that own barcades?

#9387 3 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

So has anyone got their hobbit shipped yet for home use? Or is it just dealers and people that own barcades?

I haven't. I think I'm a pretty early orderer (SE #31), but haven't gotten a call/email.

And I'm all right with that. I kind of consider on-location purchasers as private field testers. I'm okay with waiting a bit longer for any trouble spots to be buffed and for manufacturing technique to become more experienced assembling this specific title at the factory.

It'll be here soon enough. Not sweating it. The anticipation alone is fun in a way (though that has limits ).

#9388 3 years ago

As far as I can tell not a single actual customer has received one yet. Just distributors and a special select few business's (bars, etc.)

#9389 3 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

It didn't play floaty to me today - seemed about right. I didn't feel like the ball was rocketing back to me, nor did I feel like I was waiting on the ball to roll down the playfield. In fact if I did get a brief delay it gave me a check to glance at the book for instruction - or take a quick look up at the LCD monitor to check mode progress.
Felt real nice guys, real nice.

This is how I felt after playing it a couple weeks ago.

#9390 3 years ago

I uploaded 2 videos of some game play at Boxcar (http://theboxcarbar.com) in North Carolina. Sorry about the reflections on the game (they have it in the front of the store close to full glass shop front walls, and it lets in a lot of natural sunlight)

Vertical

Widescreen

#9391 3 years ago

Oh, forgot to mention that my son hit the mystery shot and the reward was an instant Smaug multi ball.

#9392 3 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Oh, forgot to mention that my son hit the mystery shot and the reward was an instant Smaug multi ball.

Did he have any balls locked already or was it all from nothing?

Edit : mirror blades look good! Nothing sexier than its own reflection

#9393 3 years ago

I keep checking this thread to see if games are shipping yet, I'm not even in on a Hobbit but I'm super excited to see everyone that's in on Hobbit to get their game.

It looks awesome, I'm glad it seems to look a little slower compared to sterns offerings, not every game needs to be utterly brutal, a little variety is nice after all isn't that why we all say "one game is just never enough", brutally fast, slower more methodical, deeper games, shallower games it's nice to have a mix and I notice there's a diverter now on the ramp, I must have missed that but that's a sweet feature and should offer some brutally fast returns on a clean ramp shot to satisfy those people that want a little brutality.

Really hope you guys get your games soon it's easily the best looking game imo and if it plays half as good as it looks in person you guys are in for a treat.

#9394 3 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I uploaded 2 videos of some game play at Boxcar (http://theboxcarbar.com) in North Carolina. Sorry about the reflections on the game (they have it in the front of the store close to full glass shop front walls, and it lets in a lot of natural sunlight)

Ugh... those windows are brutal- and TH is almost the farthest from them- the other pins are even WORSE! Guess they really want ppl to come at night (and drink more!)

How did you find the center ramp shots? I felt myself wanting a bit more OOOMF behind the flippers.....Sometimes the ball wouldn't even carry all the way around the loop - and just fall back down the other ramp entrance...But then again, it could also be attributed to my sloppy, imperfect shots.

#9395 3 years ago

Yeah, the center ramp shot is interesting. Sometimes the ball would shoot right up and over quickly - other times it would die out half way up. If you hit it solid no problems.

However, I think I am going to set mine up with a higher degree slope and more flipper strength (and go ahead an buy extra popup beasts - those things are going to get a beating).

#9396 3 years ago

Game sure is pretty! Thanks for the video. Have no doubt it'll draw people in on route.

#9397 3 years ago

Jack mentions a tunnel in the ign unboxing video. I did not notice this when I played hobbit. Whenever the ball went in a hole, it came back out the same hole. Anyone know more about this?

#9398 3 years ago

See subway in pic

Screenshot_2016-03-09-15-58-09~01~01_(resized).png

#9399 3 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Jack mentions a tunnel in the ign unboxing video. I did not notice this when I played hobbit. Whenever the ball went in a hole, it came back out the same hole. Anyone know more about this?

there is a subway under the playfield. the hole by smaug and the hole by the pop bumbers lead to the vuk by the right flipper.

#9400 3 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Yeah, the center ramp shot is interesting. Sometimes the ball would shoot right up and over quickly - other times it would die out half way up. If you hit it solid no problems.
However, I think I am going to set mine up with a higher degree slope and more flipper strength (and go ahead an buy extra popup beasts - those things are going to get a beating).

Yeah, I just watched your first video and it looked exactly like my experience: some would hit the ramp fine, others, even though they seemed cleanly hit, failed. Seems liker a simple fix. I really think JJP needs to increase the default settings for these machines going into the wild... but i digress.

I also thought the launch/plunger seemed really weak? I could barely hit the target with a full plunge? Maybe I just need to eat my Wheaties...

Overall, really solid game. I just wish I could have HEARD more of it though.... and played better at $1/pop

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Asheboro, NC
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 21.00
7,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pensacola, FL
There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 188 of 201.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside