Topic Stats

• 10,044 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 714 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOB (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
No.gif
IMG_9476_(resized).JPG
47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 185 of 201.
#9201 4 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

I wish him or jack would say something, anything regarding actual timelines.

Me too.

#9202 4 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

I wish him or jack would say something, anything regarding actual timelines.

Me too.

#9203 4 years ago
Quoted from jazc4:

I am not in the first few 100, but when I get mine I'll be happy to have local Pinsiders come check it out.

Same here! I know I'm going to be down the production line a little but once it arrives, we'll have a Hobbit Party down here on the Gulf Coast, have some folks out and stream the play on Twitch.

#9204 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

What do you consider heavy play? Certainly not 2-3,000 games.

Checked with the guy I sold it to, and it still looks fine, almost 10 years later. Also, he said he was inspired by my Shadow job to powdercoat his Stargate ramps gloss black, and after 4000 plays, it has no grooves, chips, pits, etc in it, either.

So I call bull. I've DONE the powdercoating, seen the results and lack of wear firsthand. I don't believe there's any reason they couldn't powdercoat JJP ramps to match rails of PF until I see some real-world testing that runs counter to my firsthand real-world years-long experiment, and my second-hand experience of my friend's powdercoating that had the same wear results when he did it - none. Aside from some dulling of the gloss, he said his is still perfect, and 4000 plays is plenty of time for some wear to show up.

#9206 4 years ago

triple post (yes, that was weird)

#9207 4 years ago

Not a powdercoater by any means, so no expert opinion here, but wouldn't powdercoating the ramps accelerate the degradation and smoothness of the balls? And wouldn't those damaged balls then possibly be more damaging to the rest of the playfield?

#9208 4 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Either JJP has misled people on the REAL production situation OR they are completely inept at production planning. Pick.

This is exactly my take the first go around with WOZ, if your dates are years off either you are lying, or you're completely incompetent to run a company. Take your pick.

Be careful though I was threatened with litigation when I brought it up before.

#9209 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballkim:

This is exactly my take the first go around with WOZ, if your dates are years off either you are lying, or you're completely incompetent to run a company. Take your pick.

So were others.... problem for jack is, it's not libelous if its true

Jack has always been his very worst enemy is many of these cases (in no particular order):

It started with his holier-than-thou statements about quality vs Stern. He went on to ship a machine with the "cargument equivalent" of needing a recall (major design flaw- light boards), machines catching on fire, PFs QC issues, etc.

Prior to that, he had made promise after promise about delivery schedules he MUST have known were way off- simply to keep the "natives from getting restless."

Then, as if he shouldn't have been busy enough shipping machines that were a year late, he jumped onto a pinside for sale thread to sabotage the sale by telling people "no factory warranty" *facepalm*

Completely inexplicably, he writes a post essentially telling folks that lost money in the recent pinball start-up scams, that it was the price for boutique pinball?!?!??

Don't forget the famous, "the same delays with WoZ CANT happen with TH, We are contractually obligated to ship concurrent with movie release" - um..... what?

That's a short list.

And Im not saying any start-up company won't face problems....they will. But these are just a few examples of "unforced errors" from the lips of Jack that were completely AVOIDABLE.

And lets not lump all manufacturers together by saying "well, everyone does the same thing", because they don't.

#9210 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballkim:

It may just be a case of being too optimistic. You'd really have to be optimistic to start a pinball company, even more so to try to make it a top of the line company. Jack really delivered with WOZ albeit slowly. Hobbit should be worth the wait as well. I know Jack's heart is in this company and pinball in general. But it's time for him to put his ass in this as well and get at least a few pins out to users.

#9211 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

The truth is that if any company said how long they really thought it would take, there would be no business as hardly anyone would have pre-ordered and that is how the business was funded.

Nobody should start a business like this. Tomorrow isn't promised to anyone.

#9212 4 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

So were others.... problem for jack is, it's not libelous if its true
Jack has always been his very worst enemy is many of these cases (in no particular order):
It started with his holier-than-thou statements about quality vs Stern. He went on to ship a machine with the "cargument equivalent" of needing a recall (major design flaw- light boards), machines catching on fire, PFs QC issues, etc.
Prior to that, he had made promise after promise about delivery schedules he MUST have known were way off- simply to keep the "natives from getting restless."
Then, as if he shouldn't have been busy enough shipping machines that were a year late, he jumped onto a pinside for sale thread to sabotage the sale by telling people "no factory warranty" *facepalm*
Completely inexplicably, he writes a post essentially telling folks that lost money in the recent pinball start-up scams, that it was the price for boutique pinball?!?!??
Don't forget the famous, "the same delays with WoZ CANT happen with TH, We are contractually obligated to ship concurrent with movie release" - um..... what?
That's a short list.
And Im not saying any start-up company won't face problems....they will. But these are just a few examples of "unforced errors" from the lips of Jack that were completely AVOIDABLE.
And lets not lump all manufacturers together by saying "well, everyone does the same thing", because they don't.

I know right, it was like watching a train wreck in slow motion, I can't help but to stare in amazement but also I feel bad for the "passengers" who at this point just wanted to get off the train at this point. I also received a PM from Jack at one point. It just seemed like during WOZ "manufacturing" he had so much time in the world to debate everyone who didn't agree with something he was doing instead of making the games. At least he seems to have laid off the constant forum PM's and "drunken" style messages saying how people paid their money to get ripped off by Jpop and that they got to enjoy the ride ect ect. I say drunken posts because no sober person would post that, would they? Or maybe Jpop hacked jacks pinside account? Either way, I believe those pictures of the few games with playfields in, are games that more then likely already built last year, heck months ago that are prototype testing machines. There is no close up shot of the aprons so we can't see what is what and I think that was done on purpose. Either way, having the protype machines built is a good first step, hopefully we will see pictures soon of the factory jam packed full of workers who are assembling everyone's games. Unfortunately though, being this behind (just like with WOZ) means production (when it does actually start) will be racing to get games done as fast as possible, so that means more QC issues right out of the box again.

#9213 4 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

Not a powdercoater by any means, so no expert opinion here, but wouldn't powdercoating the ramps accelerate the degradation and smoothness of the balls? And wouldn't those damaged balls then possibly be more damaging to the rest of the playfield?

Nope. Powder may be hard but it's significantly softer than the steel used for ramps or ball guides. Bare metal is much more likely to cause ball scratches and issues.

#9214 4 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

machines catching on fire,

Total BS, please stop spreading crap like this.

Yes there were some issues with inductor coil burning on unified power supply boards. No worse than a locked on solenoid in any game. Some smoke and stink. Nothing more.

Lloyd

#9215 4 years ago

Looks like one of those Hobbits are heading down to APE next month.

https://www.facebook.com/floridaape/?fref=nf

#9216 4 years ago
Quoted from Jcamm:

Looks like one of those Hobbits are heading down to APE next month.
https://www.facebook.com/floridaape/?fref=nf

congratulations! can't wait to get mine.

#9217 4 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

Not my experience at all. The finished surface is smooth as glass.

#9218 4 years ago

I don't want my ramps power coated on the hobbit. If anything, that should be done by request, or aftermarket (if that is the right word?).

#9219 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I don't want my ramps power coated on the hobbit. If anything, that should be done by request, or aftermarket (if that is the right word?).

No ramps are being powder coated.

#9220 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

It's not happening, there was just a side, semi-related discussion about why this hasn't been done in production machines.

#9221 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

No ramps are being powder coated. Only wire forms.

Thanks!

#9222 4 years ago

I just like to know if they are still testing or is "actual" production started.

Friend of mine is in top 50. He was told mid March he should have his game which sounds promising but he was told early Dec a few months ago.

#9223 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Nope. Powder may be hard but it's significantly softer than the steel used for ramps or ball guides. Bare metal is much more likely to cause ball scratches and issues.

I've been using Cerakote on rifle and handgun parts and its holding up like new. Have you ever checked the specs on it vs powdercoat? I have always wondered if it would be ideal for wireforms.

#9224 4 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

He was told mid March he should have his game which sounds promising but he was told early Dec a few months ago.

I predict he'll be told late June sometime around mid March.

Quoted from TomGWI:

I just like to know if they are still testing or is "actual" production started.

Good question. JJP's website clearly states that "The Hobbit began production in late 2015 and will begin shipping in early 2016."

So, that means...well, nobody really knows what that means.

#9225 4 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

I've been using Cerakote on rifle and handgun parts and its holding up like new. Have you ever checked the specs on it vs powdercoat? I have always wondered if it would be ideal for wireforms.

Cerakote is ceramic. It's caustic as hell to apply but SUPER durable. You could do it for wireforms but there is no need as powder coat holds up for years and cost wise its expensive in comparison.

Cerakote also has limited color options.

#9226 4 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Friend of mine is in top 50. He was told mid March he should have his game which sounds promising but he was told early Dec a few months ago.

Guessing or promises won't help on this. You'll know when they're shipping as a bunch of people will report getting them. Until then don't hold your breath.

#9227 4 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I've been told that I'm one of the first ones off the line. But I'm sure that's been said 100 times

#9228 4 years ago

Hobbits are almost on the line. I hear that the complexity of the machine, an unreliable vendor and perhaps not the best planning led to the delays. Machine is going to be groundbreaking. I mean really sick.

#9229 4 years ago
Quoted from ozno:

and perhaps not the best planning led to the delays

#9230 4 years ago
Quoted from ozno:

Hobbits are almost on the line. I hear that the complexity of the machine, an unreliable vendor and perhaps not the best planning led to the delays. Machine is going to be groundbreaking. I mean really sick.

Hot dog vendor outside the factory? That guy sucks.

#9231 4 years ago

When I hear "unreliable vendor", in any business, first thought is: is the "unreliable vendor" paid up to date?

If no, stop.

If yes, continue.

#9232 4 years ago

All it takes is one bad vendor to hold up production. Lucky sharp eyed Jack spotted this one almost immediately.

vendor_(resized).jpg

#9233 4 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

All it takes is one bad vendor to hold up production. Luckily sharp eyed Jack spotted this one almost immediately.

vendor_(resized).jpg

#9234 4 years ago

'Sorry about the dup...now it's a triple oh my!

#9235 4 years ago
Quoted from pinstor12:

"unreliable vendor"

apparently there is some sort of "rating" for how well a business treats vendors and I have heard jjp is not towards the top...could be a reason for slow slow slow progress when your vendors don't actually like working with you. That said, hopefully the game gets done THIS year, would like to grab one at some point.

#9236 4 years ago

Seeing the games on their FB profile in final testing is exciting, to me anyway - progress. With all these day-one orders, I wonder how day-one orders actually get divided out amongst direct sales vs distributor day-one orders, etc. Is it a round-robin scenario where 15 games come off the line and 5 go to distributor a), 5 to distributor b),5 to direct sales, etc? Anyone have any insight there?

At any rate I'm looking forward to my Hobbit, whenever it arrives I know it will be great.

#9237 4 years ago
Quoted from visi0n:

Seeing the games on their FB profile in final testing is exciting, to me anyway - progress. With all these day-one orders, I wonder how day-one orders actually get divided out amongst direct sales vs distributor day-one orders, etc. Is it a round-robin scenario where 15 games come off the line and 5 go to distributor a), 5 to distributor b),5 to direct sales, etc? Anyone have any insight there?
At any rate I'm looking forward to my Hobbit, whenever it arrives I know it will be great.

Now your just asking too many questions haha

#9238 4 years ago

If I put my order in now, how long will it take to get my game?

#9239 4 years ago
Quoted from mattenno:

Asked every week. No one knows. Better estimates once they start shipping and we can see how many they can pump out. JJP estimating around 4 months from now but seems impossible for them to make that many within that time period considering Jake said he had orders for 1500 units about 6 months ago..

Only thing that makes it a little asier waiting for it is knowing Keith is coding it. (also the sound package is also really exciting)

#9240 4 years ago
Quoted from mattenno:

You may get it faster if you go through a dealer that has an unsold allotment than JJP. Beyond that nobody knows. WOZLE took me about about 1 1/2 years to get once production started so my guess is about a year or more for anyone now for a direct JJP order. That's assuming production starts very soon.

#9241 4 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Asked every week. No one knows. Better estimates once they start shipping and we can see how many they can pump out. JJP estimating around 4 months from now but seems impossible for them to make that many within that time period considering Jake said he had orders for 1500 units about 6 months ago..
Only thing that makes it a little asier waiting for it is knowing Keith is coding it. (also the sound package is also really exciting)

jake_from_state_farm_(resized).jpg

#9242 4 years ago
Quoted from mattenno:

Incorrect.

#9243 4 years ago

It is a little on the assier side,isn't it?

#9244 4 years ago

If you order a standard now through a dealer that is getting some early ones, you'll have your machine before almost everyone else that pre-ordered.

#9245 4 years ago
Quoted from TVP:

If you order a standard now through a dealer that is getting some early ones, you'll have your machine before almost everyone else that pre-ordered.

Backwards!!??!!

i hope its not accurate. pre-order faithful customers who invested and waited need to be tightened up first.

From what I remember with WOZ was lots of pre-order folks got games early but not all as some went to the "big time" distributors and big time op/locations.Some games personally set up and delivered by Jack.i think its fair to keep in mind that JJPs biggest distro and ops need some customer support as well.This can be good news.If you ordered through a distributer in your neck of the woods,and this place moves a lot of JJP games,you will probably get your game sooner than later.Smaller distro might take a bit longer as JJP,or any business, will feed the hot salesman more leads.

#9246 4 years ago
Quoted from mattenno:

I'd start at early 2019 as an expectation & work backwards if necessary.

#9247 4 years ago

JJP posted some Smaug cabinets on their FB page

12510381_1112294982122430_4295440171027173072_n_(resized).jpg944043_1112294942122434_8682616700052960576_n_(resized).jpg

#9248 4 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

Image loading is disabled in your settings. un-hide12510381_1112294982122430_4295440171027173072_n_(resized).jpg Image loading is disabled in your settings. un-hide944043_1112294942122434_8682616700052960576_n_(resized).jpg

If you zoom in really close, the finished and strapped boxes in the background say Hobbit!

64cfce9b5a316d7384f50f41ec6301d8d24831da_(resized).jpg

Ha! Made you look.

#9249 4 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

Progress...but it feels like watching the grass grow.

I soooo want to see an actual unboxing....

#9250 4 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Wrong about what? Do tell?

Um, post #192. I hope I'm wrong....(there's a first time for everything).

I'm not going to defend Jack, just to defend him. Saying he missed an estimated date is lying has 2 flaws - how is missing an estimated date, a lie? and you know Jack's intent was to lie, mislead to keep people from running - how can you know Jack's intent?

Two questions:
1. are you pre-ordered on TH?
2. have you talked to Jen or Jack about any of your concerns?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 27.50
There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 185 of 201.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside