Topic Stats

• 10,044 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 96 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 714 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOB (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_4364_(resized).jpg
IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
No.gif
IMG_9476_(resized).JPG
47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg

There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 181 of 201.
#9001 3 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Call it a philosophical difference, but Ive just never been a "end justifies the means" guy. To me, ethics matters.... more than the total weight of a pinball machine, the number of toys on the PF or the flash of the lcd show.
So I can appreciate the innovation of Woz and (soon) TH and yet still separate that from my opinion of Jack and his misleading and shady approach to running a company....

This comes off as a holier-than-thou, passive aggressive rant. Having pro-ordered and not canceling does not make any of us unethical, or less ethical than you.

You obviously don't like Jack. We get it. Instead of hanging around on this thread and trying to convince us to dislike Jack too, move on to a non-JJP thread.

#9002 3 years ago
Quoted from jazc4:

This comes off as a holier-than-thou, passive aggressive rant. Having pro-ordered and not canceling does not make any of us unethical, or less ethical than you.
You obviously don't like Jack. We get it. Instead of hanging around on this thread and trying to convince us to dislike Jack too, move on to a non-JJP thread.

I was putting together a reply also regarding lowepg's comment but you said what I was really thinking.

Jack is human, and no person or business is perfect that I know of - but so what. I feel JJP's done what it needed to do to get the company off the ground, built a world class pin that many regard as the best ever, keep the lights on, and deliver - what an accomplishment in my book. Hopefully its game on in January and great things to come from Jack in 2016.

#9003 3 years ago
Quoted from jazc4:

You misunderstood my point, or perhaps I made it unclear:

I'm in no way suggesting anyone who ordered from Jack is unethical! Rather many that do are more tolerant of HIS questionable ethics and are willing to overlook them in exchange for what's he's produced.

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything- everyone here is a grown-up and can make their own judgements. I was merely trying to explain why some tolerate Jacks obvious rocky relationship with the truth.

Btw, this is not an uncommon phenomenon. I could draw close parallels with some that support politicians, or movie stars or sports personalities (or comedians!) becuase of their "work" while ignoring their personal failings, or in this case, "what they did/said to get there."

I'm genuinely interested in the final TH product... And even moreso with the upcoming PL title. If they are fun to play, I will happily support them POST-shipping and/or in the secondary market.

#9004 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yup, you get far more for your money with a JJP LE (even standard) then a Stern LE.

A) You get nothing for your money for a couple years waiting with the hopes of the finished product being worth the wait.
B) A Stern game can actually be purchased and played.

Some people like waiting (A), some like playing pinball (B).
YMMV.

#9005 3 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

You misunderstood my point, or perhaps I made it unclear:
I'm in no way suggesting anyone who ordered from Jack is unethical! Rather many that do are more tolerant of HIS questionable ethics and are willing to overlook them in exchange for what's he's produced.
I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything- everyone here is a grown-up and can make their own judgements. I was merely trying to explain why some tolerate Jacks obvious rocky relationship with the truth.
Btw, this is not an uncommon phenomenon. I could draw close parallels with some that support politicians, or movie stars or sports personalities (or comedians!) becuase of their "work" while ignoring their personal failings, or in this case, "what they did/said to get there."
I'm genuinely interested in the final TH product... And even moreso with the upcoming PL title. If they are fun to play, I will happily support them POST-shipping and/or in the secondary market.

Ok, I understand that.

#9006 3 years ago

Is this where we get to see a picture of an R&L Carriers Bill of Lading for at least one Hobbit being shipped during 2015 for a customer that prepaid?

#9007 3 years ago
Quoted from cal50:

A) You get nothing for your money for a couple years waiting with the hopes of the finished product being worth the wait.
YMMV.

I like A and B. Waiting is fine because while waiting I bought an IJ and have been playing and modding it like crazy.

#9008 3 years ago
Quoted from jazc4:

I like A and B. Waiting is fine because while waiting I bought an IJ and have been playing and modding it like crazy.

Congrats on the purchase. Have fun playing the greatest pin ever built!

#9009 3 years ago

To say we "like waiting" is inaccurate. It's frankly a pain. We're waiting because we have to but some think it worth it for a really (potentially) great game.

#9010 3 years ago

Is the Hobbit 2016 thread out of the basement yet? I don't think any of those on the "line" from last year actually left the building.

#9011 3 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

To say we "like waiting" is inaccurate. It's frankly a pain. We're waiting because we have to but some think it worth it for a really (potentially) great game.

Yup. I am sure it's a pain for JJP also.. he told me years ago they wanted to do at least 2 games a year.. they are not making money if they are not turning out games.

#9012 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Really hoping there aren't all these delays and bullshit and games the second time around. That on top of the price would be a huge turnoff.

Isn't this the second time around?

#9013 3 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

Isn't this the second time around?

Yes. Things have obviously taken a while, but there's a big difference to me between a game taking a long time to develop, and taking a long time to build once it's done.

So just saying, now that we're about here, hope JJP can actually pump them off the line faster than WOZ at this same stage.

#9014 3 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Is the Hobbit 2016 thread out of the basement yet? I don't think any of those on the "line" from last year actually left the building.

Prove me wrong everyone who downvoted me!

#9015 3 years ago

So glad I checked the update thread.

#9016 3 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Why would we need to prove you anything? Who cares about some thumbs down? What is the difference whether they went somewhere or not?

#9017 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Yeah. Thing is those are too expensive too, especially for what you get.

Jesus, Aurich... I like you. I have bought things from you, and I read most of what you post on anything I'm interested in. I think lots of times you're the voice of reason in an emotionally charged testosterone fest, but "especially for what you get"?!

What you get from Stern are constantly delivered machines with some of the greatest and most interesting code we have ever seen in pinball. Lyman's work on TWD is nothing short of sheer brilliance. Met too, and ACDC. Mustang, also awesome (though not Lyman!)

Now, if your comment is referring to "what you get" for your premium or LE up-sell from the Pro pricing, then that's another discussion entirely.

I'm in on the Hobbit SE. I'm excited for it, and deeply frustrated that it's not already here. At the end of the day though, I don't care how pretty Hobbit is, if it's not fun to play.

I know you know all this. You have a Met Pre, I think.

These things are EXPENSIVE... But I'm not sure they could be delivered for much cheaper.

I would personally like to see Stern go to a single model at the Premium features level. Full RGB lighting. All Mechs and toys etc, then let people bling out their machine to their hearts content. Let them order custom legs, rails, toppers, shooters, and toys etc. Base model 6.5K. Bling it up to 9K if you like, but it won't change the game.

Back on track. Very excited to see the Hobbit line moving, and can't wait to see pins delivering. It has to be soon, right??! It has to be.

#9018 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Yes. Things have obviously taken a while, but there's a big difference to me between a game taking a long time to develop, and taking a long time to build once it's done.
So just saying, now that we're about here, hope JJP can actually pump them off the line faster than WOZ at this same stage.

Who knows if they are "about here"?
that way JJP does business is such a cluster F, everyone knows not to hold too much validity to the pictures posted by them.
It's too bad they dug such a deep hole for themselves over the past few years.

#9019 3 years ago
Quoted from cal50:

YMMV.

C. Some people like paying for a game that is actually worth it's asking price and has regular code support, hence WOZ and TH

#9020 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

C. Some people like paying for a game that is actually worth it's asking price and has regular code support, hence WOZ and TH

Something a person buys is deemed worth the price....... if the person buys it & code support is just a tad easier when you only release one game in several years of operation.

#9021 3 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Here is why I downvoted

Quoted from lordloss:

Is the Hobbit 2016 thread out of the basement yet?

No, you know it is not and you know it never will be. It was a joke / troll thread. Because it is in the basement it is filled with crap that Robin would not want brought out of the basement. That is why he set up the basement. It has pictures, swearing and other garbage that if you posted outside of the basement you would get a message from a moderator.

But you and everyone else who posts the same stupid question already know that. But we have to read the same junk over and over again because the few think it is funny to annoy the many and can't come up with anything new or creative.

#9022 3 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

But you and everyone else who posts the same stupid question already know that. But we have to read the same junk over and over again because the few think it is funny to annoy the many and can't come up with anything new or creative.

Well said. Enough of that crap... It was drowning out all the Hobbit news.

#9023 3 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Well said. Enough of that crap... It was drowning out all the Hobbit news.

So, is there a rule that says if a thread does not have new news someone should post a repeat dumb question?

Oh, and to one of those downvoters to my last post. I thought you were going to "ignore" me and never see my posts. Please do.

#9025 3 years ago

Removed 10mins ago with 2 votes. What was it!

#9026 3 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

shady approach to running a company..

This is the feeling that came over me when his daughter personally told me worst case scenario was june 15' delivery & then when I requested a refund, I was forced to wait out some bs 6 week cool off period, or "processing period" as I was told.

not gonna lie though...still kind of want a hobbit after the revisions...but man that 3rd flipper doing Jack is a bummer.

I predict this will be a hot second hand market seller...more so than woz. $7500 all day long for a nice huo.

#9027 3 years ago

Since the machine has seen such a delay, do you think the release code will be mostly complete since they had all the extra time to work on it?

#9028 3 years ago

Well Jack said it was 85% complete about a month ago

there are 31 mode
3 mini wizads
3 wizards
and 1 super wizard mode i think
A lot to code

I am guessing it will be close to complete with an insane amount of updates to tighten the code to come.

#9029 3 years ago

I love the LOTR and Keith's code. That alone has me considering jumping in now on one of these. Seems like a good time considering they should start building soon.

I'm between the hobbit, mmr, and walking dead premium.

#9030 3 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

I'm between the hobbit, mmr, and Walking Dead premium.

That's actually a tough one. From looking at your collection, you have the 90s covered. But MM was always the holy grail of that era. So the opportunity to get one is nice.

TWD is finally a good game. But it's still dark and brutal. The code has enough complexity to make it interesting with strategic play needed to do well. Some shots are really tight. So if you like more brutal games with tight shots, it's a good choice.

Hobbit was a blast when I played it in July. It feels like it will be a long adventure. Longer shots, with some short ones from the popups. Drop targets, and the game was gorgeous. JJP games have a very solid feel to them. Keith is the greatest pinball storyteller on the planet. That is no insult to Lyman, but Keith makes you part of a quest. But the game is late, and who knows when you would get one.

In that spot, I'd delay my decision. It didn't sound like one was miles ahead of the rest. If you want something soon, TWD is the only real option. If you have some time, MMR or Hobbit.

(Out of those I'd pick Hobbit, because MM has never captured me like it does other games)

#9031 3 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Oh, and to one of those downvoters to my last post. I thought you were going to "ignore" me and never see my posts. Please do.

I thought it was me for a minute but I now know that its defintely you, I will not ignore just for spite and retract my apology 100%, I don't really like people who try to police these threads, people can ask whatever they like and as many times as they like, I will be all over everything you say. Enjoy

evil_laugh_by_x9thewolf4x_(resized).png

#9032 3 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

I'm between the hobbit, mmr, and Walking Dead premium.

Not WoZ ? (genuine question)

#9033 3 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Not WoZ ? (genuine question)

I owned a WoZ a one point. Fun game, but the theme started to grate on me.

I have a chance to jump on an SE and take over someone's preorder... So hopefully I wouldn't have to wait as long.

#9034 3 years ago

Just get a standard and you'll have your hobbit before all the pre-orders.

#9035 3 years ago

WTB a Hobbit spot, you want out???? I have cash!

#9036 3 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

Jesus, Aurich... I like you. I have bought things from you, and I read most of what you post on anything I'm interested in. I think lots of times you're the voice of reason in an emotionally charged testosterone fest, but "especially for what you get"?!
What you get from Stern are constantly delivered machines with some of the greatest and most interesting code we have ever seen in pinball. Lyman's work on TWD is nothing short of sheer brilliance. Met too, and ACDC. Mustang, also awesome (though not Lyman!)
Now, if your comment is referring to "what you get" for your premium or LE up-sell from the Pro pricing, then that's another discussion entirely.
I'm in on the Hobbit SE. I'm excited for it, and deeply frustrated that it's not already here. At the end of the day though, I don't care how pretty Hobbit is, if it's not fun to play.
I know you know all this. You have a Met Pre, I think.
These things are EXPENSIVE... But I'm not sure they could be delivered for much cheaper.
I would personally like to see Stern go to a single model at the Premium features level. Full RGB lighting. All Mechs and toys etc, then let people bling out their machine to their hearts content. Let them order custom legs, rails, toppers, shooters, and toys etc. Base model 6.5K. Bling it up to 9K if you like, but it won't change the game.
Back on track. Very excited to see the Hobbit line moving, and can't wait to see pins delivering. It has to be soon, right??! It has to be.

I have a Metallica LE. Love it. But I don't think value wise it's an $8000 game.

For that kind of money I want more upgrades. High Rez LCD screen, full RGB lighting, etc.

All I'm saying is that Stern's most expensive model just doesn't have the same value as the competition at that price point. They're still conservative in the tech department.

Hobbit is pricey. But it's at least a compelling package if you're feeling spendy.

#9037 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I have a Metallica LE. Love it. But I don't think value wise it's an $8000 game.

I agree, STLE has been the only Stern LE that for me justified the cost, TWDLE left me very unsatisfied, great game but I felt cheated. I'm hoping either GB or SW's will redeem my faith in their limited editions but for now I'm out. The Hobbit seems like its worth its price and if I was a fan of the films/books etc. I would have to have it like Aliens LE, which I have no problem waiting for, well to a point, if it reached 2017 and I still don't recieve my game then it will start testing my patience.

#9038 3 years ago

I have a THSE on order that was paid in full October 2014. Jen says I should have it by March- April. I'm tired of waiting and I'm considering getting out ..

#9039 3 years ago
Quoted from yonizzell:

I have a THSE on order that was paid in full October 2014. Jen says I should have it by March- April. I'm tired of waiting and I'm considering getting out ..

I wonder if JJP would have just held back the last $1,000 or so until peoples pins were ready to ship- how that would have changed:
1. Their level of urgency
2. Peoples attitude

Moot point as they didn't, but it seems like some version of that might have been more agreeable.

Im anxious to see what the new terms are for JJP#3. We've heard "no more prepay" but Ill believe that when I see it. I suspect there will still be a hefty "downpayment." Thats still a step in the right direction, however.

#9040 3 years ago

I really think Hobbits going to be great, but that's a lot of money to have tied up for so long with no end in sight. I'm hoping someone convinces me to stay in because I'm really about 50-50 on whether I'm going to bail or not!

#9041 3 years ago
Quoted from yonizzell:

October 2014? Zero chance of getting that by April I'd say. I assume anyways because you asked Jen you went through pinball sales. You're 11 months behind day one orders. You may as well bail now.

#9042 3 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

October 2014? Zero chance of getting that by April I'd say. I assume anyways because you asked Jen you went through pinball sales. You're 11 months behind day one orders. You may as well bail now.

Day one orders were taken in November 2012...........

#9043 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

Day one orders were taken in November 2012...........

Was it? Well, then 23 months!

#9044 3 years ago
#9045 3 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

More like 3x12+2 = 38 ?

You're fast...I meant he was that long after in his order. By April?? Bwaaaaahahahshaha!

#9046 3 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

You're fast...

You're fast too... realized you were not referring to current date, deleted my post... Anyway, long wait!

#9047 3 years ago

Once they start shipping and we get reports from real HUO people I know I'll feel a lot better about waiting. 'Was hoping at least a few would get it by Christmas (2015)

#9048 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

For that kind of money I want more upgrades. High Rez LCD screen, full RGB lighting, etc.
All I'm saying is that Stern's most expensive model just doesn't have the same value as the competition at that price point. They're still conservative in the tech department.
Hobbit is pricey. But it's at least a compelling package if you're feeling spendy.

I guess it comes down to what you consider "value". There is tremendous value in solid support of well made products, with awesome depth. Not going to beat a dead horse here. Stern delivers.

I love what JJP is trying to do. I'm supporting it. I bought WOZ. I've pre-ordered a Hobbit SE. I just think it's possible to be excited about the Hobbit without bashing the only serious player in the market. It's tiresome.

Let's keep it positive. Stern is doing something nobody else has managed to do.

Since I preordered my Hobbit, I have bought, received and enjoyed TWDle, AMH, BOP 2.0, Shadow, Bounty Hunter, Congo, Farfalla... The list goes on.

What's that old saying? A bird in hand is worth 2 Bird SEs in the bush??!

Good luck in 2016 JJP. Can't wait to play my Hobbit. I truly think machines will be delivering soon.

#9049 3 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

I guess it comes down to what you consider "value". There is tremendous value in solid support of well made products, with awesome depth. Not going to beat a dead horse here. Stern delivers.
I love what JJP is trying to do. I'm supporting it. I bought WOZ. I've pre-ordered a Hobbit SE. I just think it's possible to be excited about the Hobbit without bashing the only serious player in the market. It's tiresome.
Let's keep it positive. Stern is doing something nobody else has managed to do.
Since I preordered my Hobbit, I have bought, received and enjoyed TWDle, AMH, BOP 2.0, Shadow, Bounty Hunter, Congo, Farfalla... The list goes on.
What's that old saying? A bird in hand is worth 2 Bird SEs in the bush??!
Good luck in 2016 JJP. Can't wait to play my Hobbit. I truly think machines will be delivering soon.

Gave you an up vote based solely on your optimism.

#9050 3 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

I guess it comes down to what you consider "value".

$8000 is $8000 is what it comes down to for me. It's a lot of money for a toy, at least for my wallet.

Stern is the rock steady voice of consistency in modern pinball. Not putting them down. But that's too much money for me to get a red DMD and old lighting technology.

They're going to switch to LCD at some point, probably this year. Curious to see how that works out.

Bottom line, yes, you don't play the technology, you play the game. But there's a whole world of cool games out there for a lot less. If I'm buying new games they need to have the new bells and whistles. Otherwise why bother with new?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
There are 10044 posts in this topic. You are on page 181 of 201.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside