47_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg
IMG_9634_(resized).JPG
youtube_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4594_(resized).jpg
IMG_4602_(resized).jpg
IMG_4608_(resized).jpg
There are 10,044 posts in this topic. You are on page 176 of 201.
#8752 8 years ago

My first pinball was one without flippers, my father told me he paid about $15 for it and there were lots to choose from as the invention of the flipper made them obsolete, almost overnight.

#8753 8 years ago

We will now return to Hobbit without silliness. I hope some get theirs before Christmas ('would make a nice present)

#8754 8 years ago

DaveH said:

Vic came in with attitude, and Vic might be the nicest guy in the world, but you don't walk into a party at someone's house and spit on the floor...

Quoted from Rarehero:

Vic is a legend!
Look up Working Designs! Glad to see you here, Vic!

Haha! I'll take "legend", but it might be a bit much...

Was the one the other guy was referencing the post where people were positing that powdercoating ramps was not to be done because the ball will make trails in it, and I posted, that no, that doesn't happen because I've done it and it looks great many years later? Never had a personally observed, firsthand-fact called an "attitude" before. I would say that spreading false information is more like "spitting on the floor".

#8755 8 years ago

I saw the video of the Hobbit at the Ohio Pinball Expo here:

Sweet!!

Question on the Hobbit's upper left drop targets and upper right, third flipper. Do the drop targets drop to expose a ball lane, or is their a stop backing behind the drop targets without a ball path behind them after the targets are dropped? If a path way exists, what is going on/will/ couldgo on with it?

Question on Hobbits latest anticipated delivery starts and production rates: I haven't read the whole thread and was wondering the latest information The Hobbit deliveries and production rates. I also wonder if SEs, precede LEs and they each exceed the standard delivery dates, if any body knows or cares to take an educated guesstimate.

If I want to be playing The Hobbit by Christmas, which version is my families best bet? Standard, LE, or SE?

Thanks, Mike

#8756 8 years ago

........ ZZZZZZZ..... boring!

No updates? ... I'll even take another "Look! We've got new parts in!" picture update ...

#8757 8 years ago
Quoted from BenetBoy78:

I saw the video of the Hobbit at the Ohio Pinball Expo here: » YouTube video Sweet!!
Question on the Hobbit's upper left drop targets and upper right, third flipper. Do the drop targets drop to expose a ball lane, or is their a stop backing behind the drop targets without a ball path behind them after the targets are dropped? If a path way exists, what is going on/will/ couldgo on with it?
Question on Hobbits latest anticipated delivery starts and production rates: I haven't read the whole thread and was wondering the latest information The Hobbit deliveries and production rates. I also wonder if SEs, precede LEs and they each exceed the standard delivery dates, if any body knows or cares to take an educated guesstimate.
If I want to be playing The Hobbit by Christmas, which version is my families best bet? Standard, LE, or SE?
Thanks, Mike

The display, art, and sound on this pin are incredible! I'm just not feeling the gameplay, though.

Here's hoping PL's game is coming up soon after these start shipping. Got my cash ready!

#8758 8 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

The display, art, and sound on this pin are incredible! I'm just not feeling the gameplay, though.
Here's hoping PL's game is coming up soon after these start shipping. Got my cash ready!

Did you play it yet? If not, give it a go before giving up on it.

I hear you about PL's game...it will likely be amazing!

#8759 8 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

Agree.... to me, its the exact opposite pin from GOT.

Looking forward to playing both when in the wild.

#8760 8 years ago

Rad-Cal video from JJP just dropped. I really wasn't even considering getting these...until I just saw them. Wow.

#8761 8 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Rad-Cal video from JJP just dropped. I really wasn't even considering getting these...until I just saw them. Wow.
» YouTube video

Isnt that a really old video?

#8762 8 years ago

It was just published today

#8763 8 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

It was, but i saw it like a year ago...

#8764 8 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

It shows today's date, but that video is months old...

#8766 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Yeah, definitely an old video.

I'm getting them but the one downside is going to be that they are so shiny, they will show every little defect on the subsurface. There is no way the cabinets will be baby smooth enough to make them look like they do on the backing. The upside, they should take a hit without running through the art.

#8767 8 years ago

I thought it was new also.. then I saw the next video posted was announcing Pat Lawlor joining JJP..

#8768 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Yeah, definitely an old video.

Haha - ok - new to me then - missed it the first time around.

#8769 8 years ago

I'm holding off on them since they are new who knows how well the glue will hold. Afraid the glare may be to much as well, and Jack did say they could be applied on after market. Since mine is HUO I will give it a year to see if they are still holding up with out defects.

#8770 8 years ago

I'm going to get them for my SE; I will have the machine where the entire left side will show.

#8771 8 years ago

My first impression (and the one I had been worrying about based on description) is that I would think it perfect if it just weren't a such a super high gloss finish. Something just a tad more matte would be perfect for my taste. I would think matte would be a bit more scratch resistant too (or at least show it less).

I am torn it does look very high quality, but I'm not sure I want a super shiny machine sitting in my collection.

#8772 8 years ago

You might need sunglasses while playing.

#8773 8 years ago

It's a laminated sticker.

I don't think the glare will be blinding.

#8774 8 years ago

Jack has said since this video was released they toned the gloss down.

#8775 8 years ago
Quoted from CafeOne:

Jack has said since this video was released they toned the gloss down.

Hopefully he also tones down the price

#8776 8 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Hopefully he also tones down the price

That made me laugh

#8777 8 years ago

Here's a video of Hobbit playfields being clear coated. Hundreds of these Hobbit playfields are on the way to us from Mirco as we receive the final parts we need for production.

#8778 8 years ago

see below for a video of Match on Hobbit as well as the Splash Screen for the Smaug Gold Special Edition.

#8779 8 years ago

Below is a photo of one of many hanging samples in progress that are being put together for each station on the assembly line.

4793eefa-6842-461f-83e6-53f821564035.jpg4793eefa-6842-461f-83e6-53f821564035.jpg

#8780 8 years ago

I really like the match footage

#8781 8 years ago

The Smaug clip was awesome too.

#8783 8 years ago

The newsletter that went out today where mummite pulled the links from:

jjp_newsletter_2015-10-01.jpgjjp_newsletter_2015-10-01.jpg

[edit]: well, pinside seems to be compressing the image so that it looks awful. I tried a PDF instead:

Hobbit_Pinball_Update___Pinball_Expo___New_WOZ_Code_in_Beta_Test.pdfHobbit_Pinball_Update___Pinball_Expo___New_WOZ_Code_in_Beta_Test.pdf

#8784 8 years ago
Quoted from mummite:

see below for a video of Match on Hobbit as well as the Splash Screen for the Smaug Gold Special Edition.
» YouTube video

Damn, those are sweet! You can really tell just how much work goes into a JJP game after watching that clip. There's never a "mailed in" approach when it comes to their games. Also, yet another WOZ code update is coming! Very impressive.

#8785 8 years ago

I like how they took the liquid gold that was falling off of Smaug and transitioned it into the "Smaug Gold Special Edition" lettering/emblem. Nicely done.

#8786 8 years ago

Someone should put up the comparison between the Stern video mode DMD and the gold SE dragon graphics on LCD I know I know it doesn't make it more fun to play or contribute to the all around experience And don't worry I love me some Stern but it's really getting ridiculous.

#8787 8 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Someone should put up the comparison between the Stern video mode DMD and the gold SE dragon graphics on LCD I know I know it doesn't make it more fun to play or contribute to the all around experience And don't worry I love me some Stern but it's really getting ridiculous.

JP DeWin talent's are excellent. I'm extremely happy with what Keith, JP and Ted have done with video integration on both JJP games so far.

#8788 8 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

I know I know it doesn't make it more fun to play or contribute to the all around experience

This I disagree with. The DMD/LCD effects definitely contribute to my overall playing experience.

For example, the excellent quality of the dots on STTNG add to the immersive experience of that game for me whereas the poor quality of the dots on ST detract from my overall experience.

It's not even fair to compare the LCD on WOZ which is on an entirely different level.

Edit: Just noticed you weren't serious as evidenced by your eyeroll.

#8789 8 years ago

can't wait.jpgcan't wait.jpg

#8790 8 years ago

This game has come so far in one year from where it was at the last Expo.

I was in for a preorder and couldn't wait to see the reveal. As I approached the room to see the game for the first time, my buddies had huge smiles on their faces. Seeing them so pumped up I began to really get excited believing I would have a sweet game in just a couple short months. That excitement quickly faded as I stood by the game hesitant to say anything. Maybe I was the only one who was let down. I listened to others, and quickly realized that the feeling was pretty universal...Yuk! I left the room disheartened only to see my buddies laughing. I canceled my preorder right then and there. I never thought JJP would even think to put the work in to get this game to were it needed to be.

Boy was I wrong! My compliments to JJP and team for not settling and pushing to get this game to were it is now. I don't think there are many pinball companies that would have put so much time and effort to get this right. Sure, they missed their deadline, but the game is better for it. I will never preorder again, but I may reorder... A Hobbit that is. Nice work JJP! May you make many more wonderful games.

#8791 8 years ago

Great to see that work is beginning on setting up the assembly line. These updates are getting really sharp and more frequent, hope they keep it up.

JJP is actually turning being late into a good thing. Yes, the delays have been frustrating but they seem to be using the extra time to good effect. It must have been tempting to try to rush the game out when they were coming under a lot of fire for the delays but I think it's actually commendable that they have taken their time to get it right. Hopefully it will ensure that the early production of this game proceeds more smoothly than WOZ.

It's also good that they now have product in stock ready to ship. Really hoping JJP can become the stable and major player in the market that we all envisioned way back when the company was announced.

#8792 8 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Even with their first LCD machine Stern will be playing catch up to JJP from here on out. By that time JJP's base code will have matured so much. I think if nothing else the gap between the two companies will widen, they are leagues apart in terms of the product they offer. One is quality over quantity, the other quantity over quality, with the choice up to the buyer...

#8793 8 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Even with their first LCD machine Stern will be playing catch up to JJP from here on out. By that time JJP's base code will have matured so much. I think if nothing else the gap between the two companies will widen, they are leagues apart in terms of the product they offer. One is quality over quantity, the other quantity over quality, with the choice up to the buyer...

That is very well stated. It boggles my mind the amount of "investment" going into the Hobbit to provide an experience like no other. Sure game play, flow etc etc is some peoples idea of fun but when you truly compare the depth and the all around package coming out of JJP I don't even see how the stern LE's can even come as close as they do in price. This is not to say JJP should be charging more.....I really think Stern needs to lower their price

#8794 8 years ago

also in that update were links to the most recent flyers

HOB-LE.pdfHOB-LE.pdf

HOB-SE.pdfHOB-SE.pdf

#8795 8 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

It boggles my mind the amount of "investment" going into the Hobbit to provide an experience like no other. Sure game play, flow etc etc is some peoples idea of fun but when you truly compare the depth and the all around package coming out of JJP I don't even see how the stern LE's can even come as close as they do in price. This is not to say JJP should be charging more.....I really think Stern needs to lower their price

The DMD dot picture is pure garbage by comparison. Along with pretty much everything else with Stern.

I love my Stern pins but looking to the future I'm all about JJP first. Hopefully they succeed and created dozens of pins in the future.

#8796 8 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

That is very well stated. It boggles my mind the amount of "investment" going into the Hobbit to provide an experience like no other. Sure game play, flow etc etc is some peoples idea of fun but when you truly compare the depth and the all around package coming out of JJP I don't even see how the stern LE's can even come as close as they do in price. This is not to say JJP should be charging more.....I really think Stern needs to lower their price

And you're a businessman. Why would a company lower their price when they sells lots of machines at that price point? That would be dumb. Now, if people quit buying then they might have to consider such an action.

#8797 8 years ago

So if JJP sells a ton of new pins because the quality/LCD is much better for the money and less people buy Stern pins because of the difference then Stern might have to reduce price?

Ok, got it now, thx....

#8798 8 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

And you're a businessman. Why would a company lower their price when they sells lots of machines at that price point? That would be dumb. Now, if people quit buying then they might have to consider such an action.

I'm gonna bite my tongue here as well, Its a point, if it flies over your head then put up a butter fly net! I simply do not want JJP to increase price, however when you compare what goes into a JJP pin and a Stern pin the numbers, to me, don't add up. If there are a ton that don't care and keep buying then more power to Stern "business wise". So Chessiv you are right and I should and will go back to Business school. My motto anyway....."Everydays a school day"

#8799 8 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

however when you compare what goes into a JJP pin and a Stern pin the numbers, to me, don't add up

I agree. And to be honest I don't see how the hell JJP is making any money putting so much value in WOZ and TH. Heck, I almost want to get a WOZ RR because I still feel you get what you pay for. I think Stern actually can, an certainly does, turn a very good profit at what they are asking for their pins (especially the Prem/LE lines). Just my 2 cents...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 25.50
$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

There are 10,044 posts in this topic. You are on page 176 of 201.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-update-1/page/176 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.